• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Nissan paint has always been kinda junky. Mitsubishi has the worst though.

I think what you mean is that the NSX isn't super oversteer friendly stock. I like to think of it as a very balanced, tossable car. The reason I say the NSX isn't lifeless is because the chassis, the steering, brakes, shifter, seats, the cockpit are all so expertly designed. It's a wonderful experience.

It's as good as the S2000 (S2000 may be a bit better in some ways) but different. I'd say the S2000 and NSX are the greatest cars Honda has ever made, and in the top 10 best driver's cars ever. Easily.

I think integra type R and civic type R also belongs to the greatest cars honda has ever made...and one of the greatest drivers car ever.....seriously, the integra type R is just a joy to drive..

What makes you say this?

Seems like a lot of modern paint jobs are pretty poor.

Both of my NSX had superb paint, compare it to cars in the same year and it clearly blows it away. It can even compares to modern pain job right now. I believe the nsx has like a 23 stage paint process, which clearly shows....

Even current luxury car like Benz have orange peel effect on the paint....

No Love

Banned
I think integra type R and civic type R also belongs to the greatest cars honda has ever made...and one of the greatest drivers car ever.....seriously, the integra type R is just a joy to drive..

I agree 100% with you. The Integra Type R is unbelievable.

If I had to rank Honda's cars (in the US), it'd go like this:

1. S2000
2. NSX
3. Integra Type R
4. Acura TL Type S 6MT (3rd generation)
5. Civic Si EM1

MY GAWWWWD. I had an NA with a hardtop and it never looked this good... I should buy a used ND Club when the old farts run to trade it in for the new lighter more lethargic gen and use the extra cash on this :D

Do it with the NC instead. I've seen early models go for less than $13K these days... although to be fair it cost me about the same when I got my 06 in 2012. So they've somehow held value, but that doesn't mean that they're not worth it lol.

Here's some more bro, just for you. :D

Bruh.

Where in Texas is this?

I need to know... for science of course.

I'm rethinking...maybe I should take Regular's advice and buy one as an investment. I've been wondering what to do with some cash recently.

Think it's as good as it sounds, value wise?

Like NLFFWD said, they definitely are going up in value. I think in a few years they're gonna achieve similar status to a Supra or RX-7. Rare and expensive as fnck.

Well its not lifeless....but the NSX that we got in the US tend to understeer on stock configuration.

It's not just limited to the NSX actually. A lot of RWD cars back then(and some now) were tuned to understeer from the factory due to safety reasons.

Try driving a base model Mustang or Camaro, then immediately switch to a GT or SS and you'll instantly notice the difference between the two. I mean of course, the power difference is quite staggering and could help overcome some of that understeer, but it's more to do with the suspension.

It's worse on cars with optional suspension packages too. The Miata for example, without the performance package you get a pair of shitty Tokico shocks and OEM springs lifted from a Ford parts bin. Then when you get the suspension package, you get stiffer(and arguably shittier) Bilstein shocks along with OEM springs "tuned" by Mazdaspeed, when in fact they're just the original springs that Mazda designed for the car, not the stuff from the Ford parts bin.

1. S2000
2. NSX
3. Integra Type R
4. Acura TL Type S 6MT (3rd generation)
5. Civic Si EM1

Good list, I'd switch the EM1 for the FG2 as the greatest Civic Si, though the EP3 is high up there too. I love the looks of the EP3 combined with that powerful motor... it's like a literal bottle rocket. Whereas the FG2 has a kind of timeless look as well as the best K engine to ever come with the Civics. Well, at least until the new Type-R gets here at least lol.

Both of my NSX had superb paint, compare it to cars in the same year and it clearly blows it away. It can even compares to modern pain job right now. I believe the nsx has like a 23 stage paint process, which clearly shows....

Even current luxury car like Benz have orange peel effect on the paint....

I'd like to own an Integra Type-R one day, but by then it'll probably really hard to find an unmolested one.

I had a regular Integra LS for 6 years, even that was super fun to drive.

I hope their new NA Civic Type R is a return to that form, I'll be super bummed if the car is no good. Apparently the european one did a 7:54 nurgburgring which is pretty damn good.

matmanx1

I'd like to own an Integra Type-R one day, but by then it'll probably really hard to find an unmolested one.

I hope their new NA Civic Type R is a return to that form, I'll be super bummed if the car is no good. Apparently the european one did a 7:54 nurgburgring which is pretty damn good.

I was a huge Honda fanboy when I was younger and had no cash to buy a car. The Integra Type R, the Civic Si, the NSX and the S2000 were cars I aspired to during my adolescence and college years.

And now that I have a little cash to buy a decent car the Honda of my past is nowhere to be found. I really, really hope that the Type R Civic is the return of the old Honda, my favorite Honda.

There's a guy on something awful with a pristine Integra R. He's actually had to evade people it's such a target for theft.

No Love

Banned
There's a guy on something awful with a pristine Integra R. He's actually had to evade people it's such a target for theft.

Worst thing about having any Integra... some loser is always looking to steal it for parts. And Integra Type R's are like slaying a unicorn for thieves, lol

I think I need to get an E30 M3, Integra Type R, and Supra MK IV, and FD RX7 before the prices start skyrocketing even further. Great collector's cars for sure.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
My air filter was chaulk full of insulation, dryer lint, and pretzels. Mice?

At least I should see quite a difference with my new k&n drop in!

Xupvw1q

Worst thing about having any Integra... some loser is always looking to steal it for parts. And Integra Type R's are like slaying a unicorn for thieves, lol

I think I need to get an E30 M3, Integra Type R, and Supra MK IV, and FD RX7 before the prices start skyrocketing even further. Great collector's cars for sure.

Yup. Mine got stolen from my apartment parking lot in college. Dude didn't even need to break a window or anything. He probably got through the ignition in 30 seconds and was out of there in 2 mins flat. I was surprised that I actually got it back since I was in San Diego, I expected it to go over the border for parts.

Yup. Mine got stolen from my apartment parking lot in college. Dude didn't even need to break a window or anything. He probably got through the ignition in 30 seconds and was out of there in 2 mins flat. I was surprised that I actually got it back since I was in San Diego, I expected it to go over the border for parts.

One of my coworkers has a S2000 with a Viper alarm and shit is so sensitive as fnck in our parking garage, I was just slightly revving my Miata while I was backing it up a spot and it kept going off everytime I'd blip the gas lol. Shit was hilarious as fnck until I realized how shitty it must be to be constantly on the lookout for your car.

I even asked him if he has a killswitch on it and he wouldn't even tell me just in case some punk overhears our conversation.

That's kind of a shitty life if you ask me.

ameratsu

I have a completely original integra gsr. Never modded, won't be modded as long as I own it. Sometimes I am just embarrassed to be a Honda owner, as there's a thieving/sketchy undercurrent to enthusiasts where even though most don't steal cars, they benefit directly from the cheap parts economy that has turned great examples into forcible parts donors for some dickbag's 350k mile pos civic.

I'm actually lucky that honda theft really isn't a problem where I live in Canada. Not sure I would want the stress of having someone constantly after my shit.

negitoro7

My first car, a 2006 Civic CX hatchback manual with no power steering and no tachometer was stolen infront of my house and crashed literally 50 feet away and abandoned. Manual trans really is a form of theft deterrence nowadays.

The S2000 was always my dream car, but I couldn't live with the paranoia that would come with having it as my only daily driver.

matmanx1

So now that I've bought the 128i and had it for a few days I feel I can go back to looking at cars and car videos as a hobby rather than as an object for potential purchase and use.

Being a picky enthusiast on a budget is exhausting. I spent weeks on Autotrader, cargurus, etc. checking out what was available and several weekends doing nothing but test driving cars, most of which were at least an hour from my house. Even when I wasn't actually online looking or out test driving I was thinking through the available options and weighing the pros and cons of each.

Although the experience was fun, it is a joy and relief to not be in "shopper" mode anymore. I put way too much stress on myself for it to be healthy for any length of time but the upside is I got the car I wanted at the price I wanted with nearly every option I wanted and in a great color combo. That part is really satisfying.

So today while it was slow at work I was back to watching Chris Harris on Cars and surfing for videos on whatever seemed cool at the moment (AMG GT-s vs 911 Turbo, sure, why not?). I also looked up some Alfa Romeo 4c articles and the availability of the Lotus Evora because I think I eventually (once the house is paid off in a couple of years) want one.

Long story short: Glad to be an enthusiast/hobbyist again instead of an obsessive shopper.

mkenyon

Banned
Every time I get caught up thinking about what project car I'm going to buy when the truck and trailer are paid off, and then I'm reminded that the BRZ is the only thing that I want.

So turns out I'm getting one of the very first EU mustangs. It's already build and awaiting shipment atm.

I though about getting an Audi TTS too, but it was almost twice as expensive and I really dont like the idea of a twin-tubro 4 cylinder engine. It think a pure V8 will have a much better expected lifetime and doent need a fake sound system for the engine. Also the loss of value in the first 4 yours is insane for Audis

So im looking for a JDM rear for my evo since some damn truck scraped my rear bumper in a parking lot yesterday.

Has anyone bought one off ebay before?

matmanx1

So turns out I'm getting one of the very first EU mustangs. It's already build and awaiting shipment atm.

I though about getting an Audi TTS too, but it was almost twice as expensive and I really dont like the idea of a twin-tubro 4 cylinder engine. It think a pure V8 will have a much better expected lifetime and doent need a fake sound system for the engine. Also the loss of value in the first 4 yours is insane for Audis

I think you made the right choice. The Audi is a nice car but I don't think it's worth anywhere close to twice as much as the Mustang. And I completely agree with the engine choice. The sound, the power delivery and the character will most likely make you grin every time you put your foot down.

matmanx1

InbkYhI.jpg

A week later and it is looking somewhat dirty already. It is a very simple yet engaging little car. The previous owner was nice enough to put a mild window tint on it which not only looks good but is a must for someone like me who has to park outside while at work.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

That and the interior of the Audi is atrocious. Sooo...

One of my coworkers has a S2000 with a Viper alarm and shit is so sensitive as fnck in our parking garage, I was just slightly revving my Miata while I was backing it up a spot and it kept going off everytime I'd blip the gas lol. Shit was hilarious as fnck until I realized how shitty it must be to be constantly on the lookout for your car.

I even asked him if he has a killswitch on it and he wouldn't even tell me just in case some punk overhears our conversation.

That's kind of a shitty life if you ask me.

My first car, a 2006 Civic CX hatchback manual with no power steering and no tachometer was stolen infront of my house and crashed literally 50 feet away and abandoned. Manual trans really is a form of theft deterrence nowadays.

The S2000 was always my dream car, but I couldn't live with the paranoia that would come with having it as my only daily driver.

Everytime I ever had the itch to buy a Honda sports car, I'm reminded of all the crazy things my friends have to deal with.

My one friend with a Type R is scared to drive it anywhere. The last time we went out for dinner, he slapped the ECU on the side of the table (yep he pulls it if he's going to be away from it for a while).

Then there's the fun of being followed home. I have a few friends who ended up at my house because they were followed by randoms to see where they "lived".

Going to car meets, and wondering who's shopping for parts on your car...

It's great for enthusiasts that Honda parts are like Lego. They can work on multiple types of their cars... The flip side is that it's great for thieves since they can strip them down, and they will most likely end up on something else.

And finally the real heart breaker. My friend had a MINT S2K that I had helped import quite a few JDM bits over time for. He was away on vacation with his GF, and it happened. It was stolen....

But here's what they did since my friend pulled the ECU and had it in his room. The broke into his mothers car, took the garage door opener and scanned it. Then they opened the garage, rolled it out and flat bedded it away!

I've never seen someone so heart broken in my life after that. He JUST installed a legit Mugen hardtop.

So I remember that face whenever I get the itch... I was close to buying a EK9 Type R though over the winter...

So im looking for a JDM rear for my evo since some damn truck scraped my rear bumper in a parking lot yesterday.

Has anyone bought one off ebay before?

What gen Evo do you have again? I know Evasive Motorsports sells the rears for 8-9's...

Everytime I ever had the itch to buy a Honda sports car, I'm reminded of all the crazy things my friends have to deal with.

My one friend with a Type R is scared to drive it anywhere. The last time we went out for dinner, he slapped the ECU on the side of the table (yep he pulls it if he's going to be away from it for a while).

Then there's the fun of being followed home. I have a few friends who ended up at my house because they were followed by randoms to see where they "lived".

It's great for enthusiasts that Honda parts are like Lego. They can work on multiple types of their cars... The flip side is that it's great for thieves since they can strip them down, and they will most likely end up on something else.

And finally the real heart breaker. My friend had a MINT S2K that I had helped import quite a few JDM bits over time for. He was away on vacation with his GF, and it happened. It was stolen....

But here's what they did since my friend pulled the ECU and had it in his room. The broke into his mothers car, took the garage door opener and scanned it. Then they opened the garage, rolled it out and flat bedded it away!

I've never seen someone so heart broken in my life after that. He JUST installed a legit Mugen hardtop.

So I remember that face whenever I get the itch... I was close to buying a EK9 Type R though over the winter...

What gen Evo do you have again? I know Evasive Motorsports sells the rears for 8-9's...

Jeez, that's crazy.

paskowitz

Holy hell. That sucks.

Argh!!!! Got a damn nail in my rear tire. And of course it hits the inside edge! Called the shop and have to special order the tire, since I do not want to pay for a whole set (AWD). I'll be rocking the donut spare until Monday.

OfhrCNal.jpg

Where do you live? Jesus.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Argh!!!! Got a damn nail in my rear tire. And of course it hits the inside edge! Called the shop and have to special order the tire, since I do not want to pay for a whole set (AWD). I'll be rocking the donut spare until Monday.

OfhrCNal.jpg

I once had a nail puncture my tire in the exact same spot, but on the outside...I had no choice but to pull it out because of the angle it was at, I didn't want to cause more damage to the tire.

When I pulled it out...it was barely the length of a thumb tack. LOL.

I think you made the right choice. The Audi is a nice car but I don't think it's worth anywhere close to twice as much as the Mustang. And I completely agree with the engine choice. The sound, the power delivery and the character will most likely make you grin every time you put your foot down.
Thanks, my last car was the Golf 7 GTI with Performance Package and even that car made me grin when you drive. Really exited how the Mustang feels like

That and the interior of the Audi is atrocious. Sooo...
I really cant stand that they put the whole entertainment system into the drivers cockpit in the new TT. When I make a trip with someone I always let the passenger handle the music or navigation system, so I can focus on driving.

Whoa the MK7 GTI is so new, what made you get rid of it so soon?
I can lease certain cars through my employer, but you can only choose for 6 or 9 month. So I drove two MK7 GTI PPs in the last 1,5 years (since release of the car here in germany), but now it's time for me to buy a car. Monthly costs of leasing the GTI and financing the Mustang will be about the same.

The new GTI with PP is an awesome car, but in the end it's still a very expensive Golf on the road.

Azzurri

Gold Member
So I got out of my 2014 S5 and into a 2015 S3. I'm actually liking the S3 a whole lot more than I thought I would. I do miss the 6MT I had, but the S-tronic is pretty awesome too.

For a 2.0L Turbo this baby is FAST. I want to get an APR ECU flash, but I know AoA have been sticklers about modding lately, but an extra 45-60hp would really be something. As of now it's 292, and with the flash it's around 345-355.

Top Bottom