• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My M56S is getting a tune very soon...I did an ECU ROM dump on it just now and had the file sent out to the tuner.

These motors respond extremely well to tunes, so I'm anxious to see.

They said brake plate so I assume backplate? They said it wasn't seated correctly and as the car drove, it must have come loose (which does explain why the noise started off from only at times when I picked it up at 5 to pretty much all the time by 9)

Drove roughly 25 miles.

So where did the grease come from, the wheel bearings? If the axle was loose in the hub and the grease was slung out of it I'd imagine all sorts of damage could have been done.

cajunator

Banned
Yes when I had it. You forgot Wheeeler Deealers. Love that show.

Wheel Dealers and Legendary Motorcars are the overall best shows. Cannot believe the amount of money that Legendary dude throws around.

I wish Velocity had racing on it instead of "Billy Bob Garage" and "Hektik Redneck Skidz"

WRC, F1, BTCC, DTM, WTCC, etc. :[

I recently got a free upgrade to whatever the next best tier of garbage cable TV is, and the first thing I saw on it was 24 Hours of Le Mans, got really excited, and then realized it was a three-hour long jack-off-a-thon of Patrick Dipshit Dempsey and his "racing" "career".

honestly, watching racing on TV is extremely boring. Even Lemans. Its something you have to witness in person to be any fun from a spectator perspective.

asdad123

So where did the grease come from, the wheel bearings? If the axle was loose in the hub and the grease was slung out of it I'd imagine all sorts of damage could have been done.

The grease was from the cv boots which were not correctly clamped at the factory. They replaced the whole axle assembly, however did not clean off the grease. They told me it was cleaned, however they must have missed a deep part which was then slung around when I drove it yesterday. Complete lie. You could yell that the grease was old and uncleaned.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The grease was from the cv boots which were not correctly clamped at the factory. They replaced the whole axle assembly, however did not clean off the grease. They told me it was cleaned, however they must have missed a deep part which was then slung around when I drove it yesterday. Complete lie. You could yell that the grease was old and uncleaned.

Yeah, they lied to you. The grease that was there was from them not cleaning up what was sprayed from driving without the clamp on.

asdad123

Yeah, they lied to you. The grease that was there was from them not cleaning up what was sprayed from driving without the clamp on.

Oh I know. I have pictures of before the cv repair and from yesterday. If they mention again that it was spraying again after the repair I'm gonna call them out on their bullshit.

VW-Golf-R-400-Concept-1%25255B2%25255D.jpg

VW Golf R400 confirmed for production.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/vw-will-build-extreme-golf-r-400.html

Granadier

I expect it to never touch US soil :(

e: Funky, that quote. Perfect.

-Jeep problems-
Goddamn! I can't believe they would've returned the vehicle to you uncleaned and untested. That's insane. I hope this is the last time you have to deal with them in the immediate future. I would suggest asking your friends/family/coworkers/anyone who would know about trusted independent shops in the area and take the Jeep there for any future service. Bum deal, man.

asdad123

Goddamn! I can't believe they would've returned the vehicle to you uncleaned and untested. That's insane. I hope this is the last time you have to deal with them in the immediate future. I would suggest asking your friends/family/coworkers/anyone who would know about trusted independent shops in the area and take the Jeep there for any future service. Bum deal, man.

Ohhhhh it gets better! I will never be bringing it to that dealership ever again. The only reason I brought it there was because the car was just 10 days old so I figured they'd want to take care of the issue.

This is the email I sent corporate this afternoon explaining what happened.

Hello,

Actually my concern had not been addressed. The service I received at Teterboro Jeep was unacceptable. I picked up my jeep from the CV boot repair yesterday at 5p.m. They told me the repair was complete and I had to rush to school, therefore I did not have time to check under the car myself. As I was driving to class, I began to hear a slight rattle coming from the front (mind you the front axles were replaced due to the failure). I pay it no mind. After class, I drive home and the rattle starts to become louder and louder. By this time, it was too late  to call service as they were closed. I pull the car into my drive way and look underneath, and to my dismay this is what I find.

The grease which burst from the original boot was still there all over the place! How is this an acceptable condition to return a 10 day old vehicle. They had not cleaned off any of the original grease. I did not feel comfortable as the grease is a SAFETY CONCERN should any get into the brakes. I cleaned off the surface grease as much as I could, and got to this stage.

I could not clean off any of the interior pieces, as I did not feel comfortable touching those, so I only cleaned off the surface, but the grease inside was still easily seen. I then went out for dinner, and the clunking/thumping sound became very loud, therefore I cancelled my plans and drove it straight to the dealership and placed the car into the keydrop. I printed out all of these pictures and included them for the dealership to see, and asked them to thoroughly clean the grease off and address the clunking sound. I received a call from Kristie this morning stating they will look into it and clean off the grease. I received a call at 1:10 PM stating that the vehicle was fixed and the grease was cleaned off. I asked what was the problem, and she told me that the brake backing pad was placed on incorrectly during the CV boot repair and they had fixed it. So not only was there grease in the car, but the brakes were compromised? That is two SAFETY CONCERNS.  I told her that I would pick it up after work. She also told me that the grease was a result of grease from the back flying after the repair, however that is a lie. I have pictures of the same angles of before the CV boot replacement, and the grease is in all of the same places.

I arrived at the dealership at 4:30 PM. Kristie gave me the keys and told me that everything was complete. The first thing that I did was get on the ground and underneath the car to see if the grease had been cleaned off. The surface was clean (because I cleaned it myself the night before), but the parts I could not reach in the back still had grease all over them. I went back inside with a hand full of grease to show Kristie that it was not cleaned at all. I then had to wait another hour and watch as they cleaned off the grease. After checking again, I saw that there was still some grease to be found (not much unlike globs before). Kristie told me that there was no way to clean it now because they would have to take the wheels off. This should have been done the first time when the CV boots were replaced when everything was taken apart, if not this morning when they took it apart in order to diagnose the clunking sound. She told me that the only way to get a rental car was through enterprise and that I had to provide a credit card. Frustrated, I left as I needed the car for a trip this weekend, and I purchased a $43,000 to drive it, not to drive a rental car (which they gave me a $16,000 2011 Jeep liberty to drive for for the 6 days the CV boot repair took).

I will be calling the service manager on Monday as this whole repair was unacceptable. Not only was it a SAFETY CONCERN, but my 10 day old brand new car was in service for 7 days.

Granadier

"Don't lie to me and say my engine blew up. I know your just trying to pull a fast one over on a woman like me. I put oil in my Mini I swear!"

haven't been paying attention, but when did the corporate face of all toyota vehicles look like a bastard fr-s/gt86? It's kinda off putting... but im seeing a bunch of the new corollas on the road, so its probably not hurting sales.

Someone hit my car while parked in the parking garage... Haven't even owned this car for a week... Thankfully I was still sitting in my car when it happened.

asdad123

Someone hit my car while parked in the parking garage... Haven't even owned this car for a week... Thankfully I was still sitting in my car when it happened.

Dashboard camera. Now. Somebody backed into my old car while I was at dinner and drove away. I had it all on camera, and got their license plate on it. The reaction when they saw the video was great.

Any bad damage?

Dashboard camera. Now. Somebody backed into my old car while I was at dinner and drove away. I had it all on camera, and got their license plate on it. The reaction when they saw the video was great.

Any bad damage?
Wouldn't have helped. They parked in the spot to the left of me. Scraped and creased the left rear. Could have been a lot more but frustrating on a car I've owned for 6 days. I was so paranoid of people hitting it too. I figured it would just be a door ding or something though :/

asdad123

Wouldn't have helped. They parked in the spot to the left of me. Scraped and creased the left rear. Could have been a lot more but frustrating on a car I've owned for 6 days. I was so paranoid of people hitting it too. I figured it would just be a door ding or something though :/

I always back into my spots now lol. The camera I have now has a wide angle lense so I captures pretty much everything I could see. They also have dual camera systems that you can put in the front and back.

What did they say?

ruxtpin

Banned
seriously... I feel like some folks need to take a driver's test every year if they want to keep their license. If you can't pull into a parking spot without hitting another car you don't need to be driving. Or if someone must drive a damn monster truck, then park further away where there's more space.

I always back into my spots now lol. The camera I have now has a wide angle lense so I captures pretty much everything I could see. They also have dual camera systems that you can put in the front and back.

What did they say?

Didn't want to give me information at first because they didn't think it was bad. Got an police report and finally got their info. Should have everything repaired but the timing is frustrating as shit.

seriously... I feel like some folks need to take a driver's test every year if they want to keep their license. If you can't pull into a parking spot without hitting another car you don't need to be driving. Or if someone must drive a damn monster truck, then park further away where there's more space.

It was a Mercedes and yeah, I'm not sure why people struggle turning left into a parking spot.

asdad123

Didn't want to give me information at first because they didn't think it was bad. Got an police report and finally got their info. Should have everything repaired but the timing is frustrating as shit.

Also think about a diminished value claim from their insurance. Even though you weren't moving, since you got a police report it will show up on your car fax (I know from experience) and should you ever want to sell it/trade it , the value will get knocked down as a result.

Also think about a diminished value claim from their insurance. Even though you weren't moving, since you got a police report it will show up on your car fax (I know from experience) and should you ever want to sell it/trade it , the value will get knocked down as a result.

How do I do that? Never even heard of it. And yeah I hate that because I did nothing wring but now shows it was in an accident...

asdad123

God I hope that is fake, as a Mini driver that hurts to look at. @.@

I know it does, but women are everywhere so you'll have to get used to seeing them. Oh the oil, okay.

just kidding, minis are double-plus good.

Think about it. Millions of people turn into parking spots every day, at some point somebody's going to do it wrong. It's easy to say "FUCKING IDIOTS!!!" but hell, people make mistakes.

ruxtpin

Banned
Think about it. Millions of people turn into parking spots every day, at some point somebody's going to do it wrong. It's easy to say "FUCKING IDIOTS!!!" but hell, people make mistakes.

I still stand by what I said. Here in Georgia they might as well sell cars without turns signals and install foam bumpers that wrap around the entire car. People coast in and out of lanes; I'm not talking changing lanes, I'm referring to people drifting all over the road. I park my car as far away as I can in parking lots to avoid "fucking idiots." I understand people make mistakes, but I think it comes down to a lot of folks driving don't give a shit and don't pay attention.

AlphaSnake

I still stand by what I said. Here in Georgia they might as well sell cars without turns signals and install foam bumpers that wrap around the entire car. People coast in and out of lanes; I'm not talking changing lanes, I'm referring to people drifting all over the road. I park my car as far away as I can in parking lots to avoid "fucking idiots." I understand people make mistakes, but I think it comes down to a lot of folks driving don't give a shit and don't pay attention.

Yep. People are assholes in parking lots and don't know how to park. I always park as far away and isolated as possible and preferably a corner/end spot.

I know it does, but women are everywhere so you'll have to get used to seeing them. Oh the oil, okay.

just kidding, minis are double-plus good.

She hit my car pretty good. It wasn't a light tap, she scraped from my rear wheel well to the middle of my drivers door. I'm hoping she didn't scratch my wheels but its too dark to see for sure. How can you fuck up parking that bad? That's just straight up stupidity.
Yep. People are assholes in parking lots and don't know how to park. I always park as far away and isolated as possible and preferably a corner/end spot.
I guess I just assume too much of people. It's a private parking garage for one of the corporate buildings of one of the largest banks in the us. I think the shittiest car I've seen there is like a Lexus. I got hit by a Benz, I figured they would be better because they would be careful with their expensive cars but apparently not at all. Walmart parking lot or something I park far away but I assumed slightly higher intelligence here.

Darknight

Certified pre-owned cars usually have a bumper to bumper warranty. Bring it in ASAP.

CPO cars are most certainly NOT bumper-to-bumper. They are actually extremely limited warranties. The only time you have the most of the warranty is when the car is still new enough to be covered under its original factory warranty (the first 3 years or 4 years, depending on brand).

In the instance here with a body panel issue, if your dealer isn't an asshole they should fix it. Bring it right back. But they can always blame it on you and say you hit something and popped it. Warrantees don't cover body damage of any sort.

I second this.

Wish you the best of luck getting the body panel repaired. If it's a good dealer then they will do it free of charge because they know it will get you to come back to them for future service.

I understand different manufacturers may have different warranty plans. It's like that for new cars. But what would be the point in getting CPO if there is no warranty coverage different from a standard used car?

In my case it is Chevy pre-owned. And I was mistaken. It is a 1yr/12k bumper to bumper, 2yr/24k service plan (oil changes and tire rotations), and a transfer of all other warranties like power train. There is a 3 day/150 mile guarantee after purchase. These are all backed by Chevy directly as part of their standard CPO program.

Update:
Bought a used Kia Optima 2013 CPO vehicle.(~12,850 miles) Didnt see the loose grill/bumper/fog light combo when I bought it. Went back like on the 3rd day with less than 200 miles driven and the manager told me its "sold as is" and wont help me out. I was furious that day. Im gonna see if I can ask around KIA CS and let them know if they can help as my dealer is a bunch of dicks. It still has all the warranties good to go but I didnt mention bumper to bumper which I think it has and its 5yrs/50k miles I think.

The problem is, I think the previous owner did hit something like a curve. Small scratches on the bottom but not damage per say. Or maybe someone who test drove it? Sucks balls man. If there is anything possible, I do have a paper that states I went in on monday 21st with the milage if say the 150K/3day thing is possible for me that someone mentioned.

Granadier

If you notice any pulling or odd steering you may be correct in thinking that the previous owner/test driver hit a curb or something.

I pulled the trigger on this, I traded my 2008 Dodge challenger SRT8 in. My now ex wife killed the challenger by blowing the engine and ignoring the oil light. To new beginnings and ironically I'll fit in more when I move to Seattle.

honestly, watching racing on TV is extremely boring. Even Lemans. Its something you have to witness in person to be any fun from a spectator perspective.

I dunno, if you're talking about just the viewing of the racing itself, I think TV is better. You get a lot more context than is possible when you can only see one or two corners of a race from the grandstands. If you're talking about the whole experience of being at the circuit, feeling the noise of the engines, walking the pits, and all of that, then going in person is great.

Darknight

If you notice any pulling or odd steering you may be correct in thinking that the previous owner/test driver hit a curb or something.

Ok looking online I DONT think KIA offers bumper to bumper.

Now the car does not sway. It just has slight scratches at the bottom of the bumper, like scrapes. Maybe a small nudge on something caused the bumper/grill/fog light to get loose. Looking more closely, the fog light clips broke off the front bumper. (from inside)

I may a mistake in not noticing that but I feel like if it came like that, they should of done a proper inspection and reworked whatever needed fixing before putting it for sale. All im saying. So yea my fault, learned my lesson but feel like they should do a good will, one time exception and atleast give me a discount to fix the issue at hand.

BTW I got premium maintenance with them for like the next 3 years. You'd think they would try and help me.

Edit: actually its regular maintenance I believe but if Im gonna be going there why not help me.

cajunator

Banned
Just two weeks ago I was parked in an isolated spot and some dude in a hurry pulled up next to me with all this space around to park AND he slammed open his car door on the side of my car.

asdad123

Ok looking online I DONT think KIA offers bumper to bumper.

Now the car does not sway. It just has slight scratches at the bottom of the bumper, like scrapes. Maybe a small nudge on something caused the bumper/grill/fog light to get loose. Looking more closely, the fog light clips broke off the front bumper. (from inside)

I may a mistake in not noticing that but I feel like if it came like that, they should of done a proper inspection and reworked whatever needed fixing before putting it for sale. All im saying. So yea my fault, learned my lesson but feel like they should do a good will, one time exception and atleast give me a discount to fix the issue at hand.

BTW I got premium maintenance with them for like the next 3 years. You'd think they would try and help me.

Edit: actually its regular maintenance I believe but if Im gonna be going there why not help me.

Actually, Kia does have bumper to bumper warranty if purchased new/certified, however that is for manufacturer defects, not damaged.

Make a post on here:

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/

Bunch of helpful people there. Take pictures of the damage and they should be able to guide you with what you can do. I owned a 2011 Kia Optima, and actually taking the front bumper isn't too difficult. It might be that the the bumper is loose and and the clips have the be placed back in (its held on by plastic clips). Ive taken mine off and on without problems. If theres no clips broken on the bumper, just slide it back on and you should be good.

As for the fog light holder, do you have the SXL model (with the DRLs) or the regular model (just the fog lights). I may have an extra fog light assembly for you depending on the model you need. If not, they are fairly cheap.

Darknight

Actually, Kia does have bumper to bumper warranty if purchased new/certified, however that is for manufacturer defects, not damaged.

Make a post on here:

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/

Bunch of helpful people there. Take pictures of the damage and they should be able to guide you with what you can do. I owned a 2011 Kia Optima, and actually taking the front bumper isn't too difficult. It might be that the the bumper is loose and and the clips have the be placed back in (its held on by plastic clips). Ive taken mine off and on without problems. If theres no clips broken on the bumper, just slide it back on and you should be good.

As for the fog light holder, do you have the SXL model (with the DRLs) or the regular model (just the fog lights). I may have an extra fog light assembly for you depending on the model you need. If not, they are fairly cheap.

Thanx for that.

Anyways mine is the base, LX model so im not sure its compatible. But its regular fog lights. But I think the issue is that the clips that hold the fog light (so the clips behind the front bumper) are broken. So I believe the thing that holds the fog light is intact, just that where it clips onto, broke off the bumper.

Im figuring IF i fix this myself in the future, I may have to buy a new front bumper since that will have the fog light clips intact right behind it, if that makes sense. But like you said, its no big deal I suppose. Im just a little salty, thats all. Sorry for the drama posts!

asdad123

Thanx for that.

Anyways mine is the base, LX model so im not sure its compatible. But its regular fog lights. But I think the issue is that the clips that hold the fog light (so the clips behind the front bumper) are broken. So I believe the thing that holds the fog light is intact, just that where it clips onto, broke off the bumper.

Im figuring IF i fix this myself in the future, I may have to buy a new front bumper since that will have the fog light clips intact right behind it, if that makes sense. But like you said, its no big deal I suppose. Im just a little salty, thats all. Sorry for the drama posts!

You're talking about the black holder inside the bumper correct?

You might be in luck! I had a 2011 EX which I replaced the original fog light covers with the DRL style ones so I might have the original fog light holders in my shed. I will check for you tomorrow.

From what I recall, the clips are on the fog light cover themselves so if thats all that broke, all it would take if replacing the cover.

3980d1329705467-led-drls-installed-pics-dscn4046.jpg

157d1301369771-led-positioning-light-drl-step-step-kdm-oem-positioning07.jpg

Darknight

You know what, Ill take some pics of the area so you can see. Honestly Im not too sure but if you can help me with that, it would be great. I dont mind spending a few bucks or saving over what the dealer might charge.

I appreciate the willingness to help fellow gaffer!! Better than my dealer thats for sure lol.

asdad123

You know what, Ill take some pics of the area so you can see. Honestly Im not too sure but if you can help me with that, it would be great. I dont mind spending a few bucks or saving over what the dealer might charge.

I appreciate the willingness to help fellow gaffer!! Better than my dealer thats for sure lol.

Oh I know what a hassle dealership service is -_-

AlphaSnake

My guess is the original owner of the Kia parked on top of a parking curb/stopper, which scratched the bumper. And then when backing out, he must've pulled on the bumper and damage the fog light clips as a result.

People are idiots.

asdad123

My guess is the original owner of the Kia parked on top of a parking curb/stopper, which scratched the bumper. And then when backing out, he must've pulled on the bumper and damage the fog light clips as a result.

People are idiots.

Or even just pulling into a steep driveway. The front end of that car sits pretty low and I heard it scrape sometimes going up and out of driveways in mine.

Good thing is, if it's just the fog light holder, it shouldn't cost you more than $50 for the set. I'll be at my parents later this afternoon to see if they still have the parts in the shed. It's very easy to remove and if you have small enough hands, it can be done without taking the bumper off.

If you have to take the bumper off, might as well go all the way and upgrade to the DRL version lol.

A quick glance at the end links looks like there's a bushing missing, which could have caused the initial problem to begin with:

Q9XeLjV.jpg

Try and look for a picture/diagram of your suspension, but that doesn't look right to me.

Just took a look under my car In order to check for any other grease, and it looks like both sides had a rubber cover placed over the area you circled. Looks like that's another thing they fixed but failed to tell me about.

Last week I finally got a chance to experience a CVT in a rental (Altima 2014), are all CVTs this sluggish? It just doesn't feel right.

kehs

Banned
Just took a look under my car In order to check for any other grease, and it looks like both sides had a rubber cover placed over the area you circled. Looks like that's another thing they fixed but failed to tell me about.

Really? Wow.

I'd send an email over to corporate because if both sides were missing something, that seems like an assembly problem and could possibly lead to a recall.

Top Bottom