• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

matmanx1

So I got out of my 2014 S5 and into a 2015 S3. I'm actually liking the S3 a whole lot more than I thought I would. I do miss the 6MT I had, but the S-tronic is pretty awesome too.

For a 2.0L Turbo this baby is FAST. I want to get an APR ECU flash, but I know AoA have been sticklers about modding lately, but an extra 45-60hp would really be something. As of now it's 292, and with the flash it's around 345-355.

What made you switch? I like the fact that the S3 is smaller but going from the manual to the automatic would have been tough for me.

Azzurri

Gold Member
What made you switch? I like the fact that the S3 is smaller but going from the manual to the automatic would have been tough for me.

Wanted something cheaper honestly, and I like 4 door. Yea, going from manual to auto was hard at first, but I'm fine with it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I really cant stand that they put the whole entertainment system into the drivers cockpit in the new TT. When I make a trip with someone I always let the passenger handle the music or navigation system, so I can focus on driving.

Exactly! I like a complete looking interior.

I once had a nail puncture my tire in the exact same spot, but on the outside...I had no choice but to pull it out because of the angle it was at, I didn't want to cause more damage to the tire.

When I pulled it out...it was barely the length of a thumb tack. LOL.

The tire was losing air fast with the nail in. Once it was pulled at the shop, it was like 4 inches long, a tire killer.

AlphaSnake

The tire was losing air fast with the nail in. Once it was pulled at the shop, it was like 4 inches long, a tire killer.

Oh yeah. Nevermind then. Glad you got it sorted out. I've been there with my Jag after moving into my new neighborhood. Had to drive it to the Jaguar dealership 15 miles away late at night and just leave it there and tell my buddy.

That sucks. At least the flat is on a normal tire, my old car had run flats which cost double to replace. The added salt is that I'm planning to get rid of this car in a few months anyways. Planning to get a new WRX. I had a 2002 years ago and need to get another 'rex.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This thing is parked in our cafeteria and pictures don't do it justice.

6USmOa9.jpg

PgUoYxG.jpg

negitoro7

I can lease certain cars through my employer, but you can only choose for 6 or 9 month. So I drove two MK7 GTI PPs in the last 1,5 years (since release of the car here in germany), but now it's time for me to buy a car. Monthly costs of leasing the GTI and financing the Mustang will be about the same.

The new GTI with PP is an awesome car, but in the end it's still a very expensive Golf on the road.

Ah neat, what other cars could you lease through your employer for 6 or 9 months?

I've been tempted to trade in my MK6 GTI, but most likely skipping this gen and waiting til MK8 GTI or R. Good luck with your Mustang, must be a hoot to drive.

Smokey

That being said....if you have any kind of performance vehicle it should be parked in a garage. Thieves can get in if they really want to, but leaving a garage opener in a car outside is a pretty big herp derp move.

AlphaSnake

That being said....if you have any kind of performance vehicle it should be parked in a garage. Thieves can get in if they really want to, but leaving a garage opener in a car outside is a pretty big herp derp move.

Yeah but a lot of people program their garages to their cars.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
One more week. One more week, seven days, until GM unveils the new Chevrolet Camaro and puts the Mustang in its place for good. I really can't wait. With a few bits from the C7 Corvette (LT1 V8, magnetic shocks, selectable driver modes), the GM Alpha platform from the Cadillac ATS/CTS, significant weight loss, and evolutionary changes to the body, and I think we may have a contender for the greatest car to come out ever.

One more week. One more week, seven days, until GM unveils the new Chevrolet Camaro and puts the Mustang in its place for good. I really can't wait. With a few bits from the C7 Corvette (LT1 V8, magnetic shocks, selectable driver modes), the GM Alpha platform from the Cadillac ATS/CTS, significant weight loss, and evolutionary changes to the body, and I think we may have a contender for the greatest car to come out ever.
I think your expectations are set a bit too high...

GHG

Gold Member
Well maybe best Camaro ever, but best car? Uhh....

So I'm watching this Chris Harris review of the new AMG C63 and for reals, what's the deal with the ipad just slapped on the top of the dash? It looks so poorly thought out.

It's futuristic yo.

But what a car though eh?

matmanx1

While all of those things sound awesome it is still going to have a GM interior and styling that I could live without. And let's face it if you don't like the way it looks and don't enjoy sitting in it doesn't matter how well it performs, right?

Sitting at the dealership with my bro and sis coz they're about to buy a CX-5.

And the only reason why I'm here is coz somebody needs to drive his Mazdaspeed3 home lol.

Edit: I know only one or two people care but September seems to be the date for the new Miata. Well at least for my local dealership at least. It also could be earlier like August but definitely not later like October.

AlphaSnake

Ummm...didn't Chevy already confirm a weight savings of only 200lbs? That's not very significant.

Ford pulled the same BS with the Mustang by claiming 200lbs...and it turned out the final result was like 15lbs?

People are all about the Honda life... It's a shame that you can't enjoy owning one in this city.

The Greater Toronto Area...

You really can't own a Honda newer 1992 and not expect it to be stolen. Of course if you live in the middle of nowhere, but then it becomes a "who cares" type situation of you enjoying the car alone by yourself with no other enthusiasts around. After my 99 hatch with a gsr and all kinds of other mods was stolen from in front of my house one night I decided to stick with older Honda's from then on out.

The only car I "worry" about right now is my 1G crx and more for the parts that are on it (mugen cf48 w/aero..etc). The 2G Prelude is my baby though and no one wants anything off that car ever...well aside from the mugen bits and other stuff but realistically no one will go through the effort for some seats and random bits.

ameratsu

You really can't own a Honda newer 1992 and not expect it to be stolen. Of course if you live in the middle of nowhere, but then it becomes a "who cares" type situation of you enjoying the car alone by yourself with no other enthusiasts around.

Huh? What do you mean?

Huh? What do you mean?

What I mean by that is the only seemingly safe places to own Hondas are areas where no other Honda enthusiasts tend to be so you have no one to meet with...etc. I mean don't get me wrong, building a car for yourself is the first and foremost reason for the build. However, having a healthy local scene helps with the drive to keep going so you can show off your work and progress. I dunno, I guess I just like hanging out and shooting the shit and checking out other builds at meets/cruise nights that I would miss that aspect of having a car.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I agree 100% with you. The Integra Type R is unbelievable.

If I had to rank Honda's cars (in the US), it'd go like this:

1. S2000
2. NSX
3. Integra Type R
4. Acura TL Type S 6MT (3rd generation)
5. Civic Si EM1

Huge complement, specially for a sedan.

Gimme a bro hug you sob.

I have an auto TLS. Fucking love it, can't imagine a MT TLS

So the car buying experience went pretty smooth. My bro came ready with the Edmunds TMV and fantastic financing from his bank that the dealer couldn't match. It helps that our salesman is a cool dude we've worked with before so there was no bullshit necessary and an awesome finance manager who was helpful.

The only issue is that they didn't have the specific trim they want so it had to be "special ordered" and another dealership has it so it'll be a swap and should be ready come Monday.

The Camaro sucks, bruh.

LOLOL.

Come on now, it ain't that bad.

Fix that shitty visibility towards the back and you've got a decent muscle car.

That said, Challenger->Mustang->Camaro.

However, having a healthy local scene helps with the drive to keep going so you can show off your work and progress.

IMO this is the one reason why all this BS happens within the Honda community. Almost everyone involved is always trying to one up each other with the mods and it fuels the fire for the crazy stuff that goes on. This obviously isn't limited to the Honda community, but for the most part it's more prominent there.

And when you look at the Porsche, BMW, and Mazda communities for example, the scene is less about showing off your car but more about beating your ass in autocross or the track. It's actually kinda fncking crazy how serious these communities get... I've met a few people with serious rivalries and shit can get heated on the course.

Anyway, it definitely is shitty to be a rare Honda owner these days.

ameratsu

What I mean by that is the only seemingly safe places to own Hondas are areas where no other Honda enthusiasts tend to be so you have no one to meet with...etc. I mean don't get me wrong, building a car for yourself is the first and foremost reason for the build. However, having a healthy local scene helps with the drive to keep going so you can show off your work and progress. I dunno, I guess I just like hanging out and shooting the shit and checking out other builds at meets/cruise nights that I would miss that aspect of having a car.

I must be the only 90s sporty honda owner who can appreciate his car for what it is. No wonder it took me ages to find an unmodded example. I more or less hate all of you for making it basically impossible to find decent examples anymore.

lem0n

Sitting at the dealership with my bro and sis coz they're about to buy a CX-5.

And the only reason why I'm here is coz somebody needs to drive his Mazdaspeed3 home lol.

Edit: I know only one or two people care but September seems to be the date for the new Miata. Well at least for my local dealership at least. It also could be earlier like August but definitely not later like October.

Ill be there for midnight release XD

I wonder if they would take my NA6CE in trade?? I actually probably couldnt part with it tbh..

Like you had said, if they want it, they will end up finding a way to take it. To his credit, it's not like the S2K was able to run, since he pulled the ECU. They broke into his mothers car to get the opener. They ended up flat bedding the car out.

And I agree, if you own something nice, keep it in the garage.

Yeah but a lot of people program their garages to their cars.

Exactly...

I see what you're saying. The problem is that a lot of these damn thieves go to meets to window shop for parts. It's crazy to think that the last meet I went to, most of the Honda guys had their VIN numbers covered with a business car or something else.

I must be the only 90s sporty honda owner who can appreciate his car for what it is. No wonder it took me ages to find an unmodded example. I more or less hate all of you for making it basically impossible to find decent examples anymore.

If it makes you feel any better, while I was looking at the EK9 (Type R) car auction market in Japan, it's no better for Type R anything...

IMG_3600_zpsmrfcekzf.jpg

One week and 600 miles in, and I still look for any excuse to just get in it and drive.

Bonus: the entire family fits. Wife and two daughters (9 and 12). It's a bit of Jenga to get everyone in and out, but it works.

Bonus2: dealer respected our wishes at prep and didn't install the shitty front license plate bracket, even though it's a front plate required state :)

ameratsu

If it makes you feel any better, while I was looking at the EK9 (Type R) car auction market in Japan, it's no better for Type R anything...

Hmm, I had a deposit in for a JDM car for about ~8 months so I was browsing auction vehicles pretty regularly. There seemed to be decent number of grade 4/B EK9 hatches, though maybe you had some of these translated and they didn't pan out for reasons other than grade. Are you finding they are just not original/low mileage enough?

...Wow, I just looked, and there have only been a handful of 4/b ek9s that have went up for auction with less than 100k kms, and they've gone for well over a million yen each.

[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/djSyndrome/IMG_3600_zpsmrfcekzf.jpg[/IMG]

One week and 600 miles in, and I still look for any excuse to just get in it and drive.

Bonus: the entire family fits. Wife and two daughters (9 and 12). It's a bit of Jenga to get everyone in and out, but it works.

Bonus2: dealer respected our wishes at prep and didn't install the shitty front license plate bracket, even though it's a front plate required state :)

A couple of more GT86s in this thread and we'll have quorum to vote for a no confidence motion for the thread title.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks.
OZ Ultraleggeras in matte titanium 8x18 with +43 offset (Toyota Germany special edition, only available via dealerships)

Hmm, I had a deposit in for a JDM car for about ~8 months so I was browsing auction vehicles pretty regularly. There seemed to be decent number of grade 4/B EK9 hatches, though maybe you had some of these translated and they didn't pan out for reasons other than grade. Are you finding they are just not original/low mileage enough?

...Wow, I just looked, and there have only been a handful of 4/b ek9s that have went up for auction with less than 100k kms, and they've gone for well over a million yen each.

From what I've seen with my Silvia and window shopping for a EK9, it all depends on the auction house. There's plenty that will mark their cars higher then what they should actually be. Once my guy looks at them in person, they usually fail the inspection.

I know that you have to "pay to play" in general, but it seems like it's a lot higher for Honda's since the Type R's seem to be picked apart for parts to begin with. The more complete ones fetch the higher amounts.

Falch

Thanks.
OZ Ultraleggeras in matte titanium 8x18 with +43 offset (Toyota Germany special edition, only available via dealerships)

Very nice.

I'm seriously considering getting one sometime next year, It would be my daily driver then. Red with black rims would be my preference.

i wasn't talking about stants and all that other bullshit people do to "one up" one another. i don't try to compete with anyone except other guys with all original cars and have oem nos accessories and era parts. My comment regarding the local scene should have been focused more on the guys who actually know their shit and are fun to talk to about hang out with. Unfortunately there is always the crowd that needs to mess it all up and that's why I stick with pre 89 Honda's now.

My prelude is my modded car in that I have stuff not specific to the prelude on it. Where as my crx is the one that will only see NOS oem parts and the only thing "aftermarket" would be some recaro seats and the mugen bits.

edit: here are both of my cars btw http://imgur.com/a/YqKpT

lem0n

i wasn't talking about stants and all that other bullshit people do to "one up" one another. i don't try to compete with anyone except other guys with all original cars and have oem nos accessories and era parts. My comment regarding the local scene should have been focused more on the guys who actually know their shit and are fun to talk to about hang out with. Unfortunately there is always the crowd that needs to mess it all up and that's why I stick with pre 89 Honda's now.

My prelude is my modded car in that I have stuff not specific to the prelude on it. Where as my crx is the one that will only see NOS oem parts and the only thing "aftermarket" would be some recaro seats and the mugen bits.

edit: here are both of my cars btw http://imgur.com/a/YqKpT

I fucking love your cars. Here are my buckets, not nearly as clean but I still love them! Old Japanese cars are the business. Edit: it's a real GT-S

19830_101528237939245o9o3w.jpg

Top Bottom