• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

i wasn't talking about stants and all that other bullshit people do to "one up" one another. i don't try to compete with anyone except other guys with all original cars and have oem nos accessories and era parts. My comment regarding the local scene should have been focused more on the guys who actually know their shit and are fun to talk to about hang out with. Unfortunately there is always the crowd that needs to mess it all up and that's why I stick with pre 89 Honda's now.

My prelude is my modded car in that I have stuff not specific to the prelude on it. Where as my crx is the one that will only see NOS oem parts and the only thing "aftermarket" would be some recaro seats and the mugen bits.

edit: here are both of my cars btw http://imgur.com/a/YqKpT

Immaculate.

Since the Honda fanboys are coming out the woodwork, here's my Integra. Yes, it's been stolen before lol.

T5Zyfqb.jpg

Yeah man definitely. Or maybe we can work out a trade?! hehehe

sure, you can have my mercedes 300d.

you'll need a trailer

but really, I do want it gone. So if you know anyone that wants one.

As for integras, they are pretty hard to find in not shit condition for a reasonable price.

lem0n

Well yeah, if you come in here and start talking shit because one guy posted his Integra you're gonna get called out because it's douchey.
Fair enough!

Shame how hard it is to find a clean Integra these days, and even harder to find without a salvage title.. There was a one owner for sale locally for cheap that I should have jumped on, but it was auto so im not that upset. Still though, it was immaculate.

sure, you can have my mercedes 300d.

you'll need a trailer

but really, I do want it gone. So if you know anyone that wants one.

As for integras, they are pretty hard to find in not shit condition for a reasonable price.
Im sure Ecology could use a Mercedes :D

Momentary

Banned
Definitely the Z06. It's just a much better sports car. If you're worried about dealerships I can give you the name of a dealer in Michigan that sells GM high performance cars at or below MSRP only. I ordered my Z/28 from her (got 3k off the sticker) and they personally trailered it to my house for me. The car is perfect and the buying experience is so much easier.

What? Most slap a 10-20k premium on Z06/Z07 trimmed vettes. I'm going to be going to a year worth of schooling for my next job and won't really need a ride since everything I need is on the compound. The gyms, stores, and eateries are all within walking distance. I'm not even taking my Scion out there. I might just wait out for BMW and Toyota to release their new project before nabbing a new ride.

I'm really hoping they fill that 60-70k Japanese Sports Car gap that isn't occupied by anyone yet.

Smokey

thanks for the responses on the < 15k car. i lol'd @ dave

think i'm going to go for one and get rid of mine.

have a long view plan here

Smokey

If you want a sports car for less than 15000, you could try a 944 turbo. But they are not that reliable.

nah needs a little bit of reliability . my commute is about to get very long. combined with my 335i being out of warranty and with 90k+ miles, I feel like it might be a good time to dump it. i had to fill up 2x in the past week doing round trips etc. with premium gas that adds up quick

so if i can find a mix of a reliable brand plus cheap price, i might take it.

all of these things scream corolla in my mind :x

Yeah OK. And what do you drive, junior? Lol.

I feel like this is a joke post. No one would seriously respond to a post about someone not liking DC2s with a "Oh YEAH well what car do you drive Kid?!" post right?

Edit:
Maybe this isn't the car thread I'm looking for. I mean that was clearly like a tongue in cheek post and yet there is some serious hostility over it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
best/reliable used car under 15k

go

Volkswagen TDI

PFvNkBj.gif

I feel like this is a joke post. No one would seriously respond to a post about someone not liking DC2s with a "Oh YEAH well what car do you drive Kid?!" post right?

Edit:
Maybe this isn't the car thread I'm looking for. I mean that was clearly like a tongue in cheek post and yet there is some serious hostility over it.

You came in here without any previous repertoire or history of your posting style and left a shit talking comment about another members car.

What the hell did you expect?

Momentary

Banned
nah needs a little bit of reliability . my commute is about to get very long. combined with my 335i being out of warranty and with 90k+ miles, I feel like it might be a good time to dump it. i had to fill up 2x in the past week doing round trips etc. with premium gas that adds up quick

Yeah. Corolla.

My uncle has a Matrix (a Corolla basically), with 300K on it. Only oil changes,tires, and brakes. Those things are indestructible. Timing chain as well so nothing needed there either.

You came in here without any previous repertoire or history of your posting style and left a shit talking comment about another members car.

What the hell did you expect?

That was totally not shit talking. How is saying "Ohhhhh man, I don't know if I'm gonna make a lot of friends with all these pictures of Integras floating around" talking shit? How does that not sound tongue in cheek? It's literally the most tongue in cheek way of putting that. If I came in and was like "DC2s suck FUCK DC2s if you like them you're an idiot" Ok I could understand but there was zero hostility in that post. It's like going into an NFL thread and seeing I dunno your rival team and being like "Oh man I dunno if we're gonna get along guys, a lot of Cowboy fans in here". This place seems waaay too uptight for me if like even the smallest most tongue and cheek thing sets people off.

Momentary

Banned
I just want to say that the BRZ and the FRS are some of the funnest cars I've ever driven. The shifting experience felt a lot better than the 370 Nismo and the Genesis Coupe Track. That's 10-20k less too.

ShowDog

That was totally not shit talking. How is saying "Ohhhhh man, I don't know if I'm gonna make a lot of friends with all these pictures of Integras floating around" talking shit? How does that not sound tongue in cheek? It's literally the most tongue in cheek way of putting that. If I came in and was like "DC2s suck FUCK DC2s if you like them you're an idiot" Ok I could understand but there was zero hostility in that post. It's like going into an NFL thread and seeing I dunno your rival team and being like "Oh man I dunno if we're gonna get along guys, a lot of Cowboy fans in here". This place seems waaay too uptight for me if like even the smallest most tongue and cheek thing sets people off.

You just came in and clowned on us all as probably not worth your time because someone owns an Integra. I can't tell if you're a Mustang fanboy or if you exclusively like to talk about supercars you watched someone else drive on youtube.

Ah neat, what other cars could you lease through your employer for 6 or 9 months?

I've been tempted to trade in my MK6 GTI, but most likely skipping this gen and waiting til MK8 GTI or R. Good luck with your Mustang, must be a hoot to drive.
Every Volkswagen besides the cheap models (Up, Polo) and some special models like Golf R.

I drove the normal MK6 and MK7 before the GTI and I dont think it's really worth the trade. I love the sharper design cues, but the improvements from 6 to 7 are kinda small. I also dont understand why they made the R models look so soft with MK7, MK6 R looked really aggresive - And you can get the almost identical R bodykit for every normal Golf. It's not like the upgrade vom 5th to 6th gen Mustang, where they replaced that really cheap interior and materials against something up date.

Thanks.

No, don't go with a Corolla. It's a very boring car.

I'd say got with either an Elantra or maybe a Mazda 3? Something that's a little more fun, plus those cars have quite a few more features standard.

Momentary

Banned
No, don't go with a Corolla. It's a very boring car.

I'd say got with either an Elantra or maybe a Mazda 3? Something that's a little more fun, plus those cars have quite a few more features standard.

After that Lemon incident with Hyundai and their horrible customer service the entire time I went through the process, I could never recommend their vehicles to anyone.

We didn't have any context for your comment so it sounded like you were shitting on Integras and Honda owners in general. Should have added something to say "I'm an X fan, too many Integras here for me!" Also, real car guys understand that the first rule of car guy-dom is that you never rag on another guy's car.

After that Lemon incident with Hyundai and their horrible customer service the entire time I went through the process, I could never recommend their vehicles to anyone.

When was this? Hyundai from 15 years ago is not Hyundai today. If it's recent I'd be a little surprised, as I've only heard positive things the past few years.

Momentary

Banned
We didn't have any context for your comment so it sounded like you were shitting on Integras and Honda owners in general. Should have added something to say "I'm an X fan, too many Integras here for me!" Also, real car guys understand that the first rule of car guy-dom is that you never rag on another guy's car.

When was this? Hyundai from 15 years ago is not Hyundai today. If it's recent I'd be a little surprised, as I've only heard positive things the past few years.

It's recent. Their manual transmissions are shit. That's all over the forums. My car had 22,000 miles on it and was on its 6th transmission. 5th and 6th were grinding out ever time. It even popped out of gear twice while on the interstate while on cruise control. That's some scary shit hearing your car redline out of no where. It could be something other than the transmission itself that causing all of them to have issues. The car isn't what is turning me away from them, it was their lack of accepting responsibility and not wanting to help me out one bit while also trying to sweep my problem under the rug. Thank goodness for BBB.

ZeroTheShadow's post seemed fairly innocuous. Like an Evo guy dropping in and saying "Too many STIs here".

I wonder what LiquidSnake and his FRS 1.0 have to say about that.

Momentary

Banned
I... got so hyped. I was looking at the Lotus Exige V6 Cup and fell in love only to have my heart stomped into the abyss after finding out that shit is not legal in the states. I was wondering why I couldn't find that car. Damn man I was getting so hyped over how affordable it was. I'm so damn depressed now. My wife even liked how it looked and she doesn't like any car that I like. Are they planning on releasing the Exige in the states at some point?

ZeroTheShadow's post seemed fairly innocuous. Like an Evo guy dropping in and saying "Too many STIs here".

I wonder what LiquidSnake and his FRS 1.0 have to say about that.

Well to be fair, it's true though lol. There are technically more STI's here since Mitsubishi is run by idiots who killed the Evo.

As for your last point about the FR-S. I personally don't think we're ragging on him but at the car itself. We're pointing out the flaw that it doesn't have enough power... and that's not Liquidsnake's fault at all.

Also, I think we might've had this conversation before... but somebody convince me why I shouldn't buy a Wrangler. I drove a CJ this weekend on an actual off-road and it was fncking awesome. I really really want one lol.

My uncle has a Matrix (a Corolla basically), with 300K on it. Only oil changes,tires, and brakes. Those things are indestructible. Timing chain as well so nothing needed there either.

Got 250k out of my Matrix XRS. Still ran when I got rid of it, but the cost to get it to pass smog was more than the car was worth.

Hilarious car. Loved hitting lift in the Alameda tunnel.

Also, I think we might've had this conversation before... but somebody convince me why I shouldn't buy a Wrangler. I drove a CJ this weekend on an actual off-road and it was fncking awesome. I really really want one lol.

api-rating-image.ashx

Well to be fair, it's true though lol. There are technically more STI's here since Mitsubishi is run by idiots who killed the Evo.

As for your last point about the FR-S. I personally don't think we're ragging on him but at the car itself. We're pointing out the flaw that it doesn't have enough power... and that's not Liquidsnake's fault at all.

No it's not Liquidsnake's fault but you don't have to go after him specifically for it. This is such pie in the sky thinking, but there's a difference between talking about whether or not it has enough power and straight telling him that it doesn't. I don't know if anybody's done that, though.

It makes me think back to this one time I was talking with a motorcycle guy who told me that I should have bought a Triumph Bonneville(?) instead of my Harley Iron 883 because the Triumph was the better bike and lots more reliable. Now I knew then like I know now that the Triumph is better and better made, but that doesn't matter. You have to be an insufferable cunt to tell someone to their face that the thing they just spent $9,000 on is an inferior product and a bad choice (Edit: I just like the look of the Iron more, and since it's a toy I don't care about reliability so much).

Aaaaanywho. Is that Wrangler going to be a DD for you or just an off-road toy? If just an off-road toy go for it, but unless you're a JEEP ALL THE TIME JEEP JEEP GET YOUR MUD TIRES LET'S GO kind of guy it might get old as a DD.

No it's not Liquidsnake's fault but you don't have to go after him specifically for it. This is such pie in the sky thinking, but there's a difference between talking about whether or not it has enough power and straight telling him that it doesn't. I don't know if anybody's done that, though.

Aaaaanywho. Is that Wrangler going to be a DD for you or just an off-road toy? If just an off-road toy go for it, but unless you're a JEEP ALL THE TIME JEEP JEEP GET YOUR MUD TIRES LET'S GO kind of guy it might get old as a DD.

I'm pretty sure no one was ragging on Liquidsnake about the FR-S lacking power, we were ragging on the car itself. I think he just got fed up of the negativity that we all had about it and decided to leave. Which I understand.

As for the Wrangler, yeah it's gonna be an off-road and shitty weather type of day car. I've ran into a couple of roads where my Miata could get stuck due to flash flooding and all that, plus I'm gonna need a winter beater too, hence why I'm really considering one.

And honestly, a crash test picture isn't gonna deter me from it... otherwise I wouldn't be driving a lowered Miata lol.

I'm pretty sure no one was ragging on Liquidsnake about the FR-S lacking power, we were ragging on the car itself. I think he just got fed up of the negativity that we all had about it and decided to leave. Which I understand.

As for the Wrangler, yeah it's gonna be an off-road and shitty weather type of day car. I've ran into a couple of roads where my Miata could get stuck due to flash flooding and all that, plus I'm gonna need a winter beater too, hence why I'm really considering one.

And honestly, a crash test picture isn't gonna deter me from it... otherwise I wouldn't be driving a lowered Miata lol.

Yeah it's too bad about that. The FR-S garners a lot of flack so you either get used to it or give up.

Totally go for the Wrangler then, it'd be a great toy to balance out the Miata. Wait you wanted to be talked out of it, um... get an Xterra instead?

Gritesh

Speaking of STi's

Here us a booty shot of mine ready for trackday in the weekend.

GykVcpw.jpg

Can't wait, never done a track day before!

mkenyon

Banned
Dat thread title.

God damn.
UH OH WE DON'T SERVE BEARS FANS IN HERE

Smokeypls

BRZ. You can find them for 15K ezpz. That car is incredibly reliable. Toyota + Subaru drivetrain? That's like the holy grail of reliability perfection.

Plus then you'll learn how to drive manual finally, and you will be driving something fun.

I had a TJ Sport with 4" lift and 32" tires. I loved that Jeep so much. Wife did too, so later on when I had my WRX, she bought a TJ Sport. Dad loved it too, and bought a CJ.

The thing about Wranglers though, is that you have to accept the fact that you're not using a comfortable device for traveling. It is a fucking Jeep. Highways become iffy, especially if weather sucks.

There is *nothing* that can compare to summer driving with the top and doors off though.
Speaking of STi's

Here us a booty shot of mine ready for trackday in the weekend.

Can't wait, never done a track day before!
GORGEOUS.

Top Bottom