• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Bandit1

Wouldn't have helped. They parked in the spot to the left of me. Scraped and creased the left rear. Could have been a lot more but frustrating on a car I've owned for 6 days. I was so paranoid of people hitting it too. I figured it would just be a door ding or something though :/

Ah that sucks man, you just got it. Did it only get the bumper or did it get up on the metal too?

I pulled the trigger on this, I traded my 2008 Dodge challenger SRT8 in. My now ex wife killed the challenger by blowing the engine and ignoring the oil light. To new beginnings and ironically I'll fit in more when I move to Seattle.

Nice WRX, congrats! That's pretty sad about the Challenger though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Last week I finally got a chance to experience a CVT in a rental (Altima 2014), are all CVTs this sluggish? It just doesn't feel right.

All of the ones I've experienced have been. They aren't really designed for quick responses.

asdad123

Really? Wow.

I'd send an email over to corporate because if both sides were missing something, that seems like an assembly problem and could possibly lead to a recall.

Haha wow wait til you hear more.

I kook under again, and it looks like one of the rubber holders wasn't clamped so I had to go back for a 4th time. Service was closed, naturally. I demanded they fix it so they brought me to the back cause they had a used car service guy.

He took a look at it and was like "Wtf whoever did this was retarded". He replaced fixed the rubber cover , looked over the work again and found ANOTHER thing wrong. They routed the ABS wire incorrectly which could have led to it snapping so he fixed that as well. He looked over it a good amount after that and couldn't find anything else out of place. I appreciate him letting me know about the ABS wire cause he could have just left it cause I had no idea how it's supposed to be. I talked to him a lot while he was doing it, and I received a good bit of information from him. When he was doing the work, he immediately saw that there was a layer of grease still visible and told me touse laundry detergent to get it off which I don't mind cause I sure as hell will not be going back there.

He also told me that theres only two people at that dealership that he would trust with his car so that solidified my choice not to go back there. I gave him $10 as that's all I had in my wallet cause he seemed like the only honest guy there.

I also did call Chrysler Corporate to add to my case and demanded it be transfered to a supervisor. The lady on the phone said they will send something called a Red Letter and that higher ups will be notified, the dealership will be called, and something will be done(lol I doubt it). I'm going to push for an extended warranty cause honestly I don't know what else their incompetent techs screwed up.

ruxtpin

Banned
2 big investments coming up... Engagement ring and a Porsche.

I think I am going to take the plunge after my year-end bonus comes in and order a Cayman GTS towards the end of May/beginning of June. I've been looking at the C7, thought about waiting on the Z06, and also considering the M4. It's possible that I might change my mind, but everything I've read and seen on the Cayman S gives me the impression that it's right for me (the GTS). I'll test drive an S - at the very least - once I get closer to putting down a deposit.

Granadier

Congrats on both fronts.

I have always like the look of the Cayman, and that GTS looks to be a monster.

kehs

Banned
Haha wow wait til you hear more.

I kook under again, and it looks like one of the rubber holders wasn't clamped so I had to go back for a 4th time. Service was closed, naturally. I demanded they fix it so they brought me to the back cause they had a used car service guy.

He took a look at it and was like "Wtf whoever did this was retarded". He replaced fixed the rubber cover , looked over the work again and found ANOTHER thing wrong. They routed the ABS wire incorrectly which could have led to it snapping so he fixed that as well. He looked over it a good amount after that and couldn't find anything else out of place. I appreciate him letting me know about the ABS wire cause he could have just left it cause I had no idea how it's supposed to be. I talked to him a lot while he was doing it, and I received a good bit of information from him. When he was doing the work, he immediately saw that there was a layer of grease still visible and told me touse laundry detergent to get it off which I don't mind cause I sure as hell will not be going back there.

He also told me that theres only two people at that dealership that he would trust with his car so that solidified my choice not to go back there. I gave him $10 as that's all I had in my wallet cause he seemed like the only honest guy there.

I also did call Chrysler Corporate to add to my case and demanded it be transfered to a supervisor. The lady on the phone said they will send something called a Red Letter and that higher ups will be notified, the dealership will be called, and something will be done(lol I doubt it). I'm going to push for an extended warranty cause honestly I don't know what else their incompetent techs screwed up.

That's nuts.

At least you got some dude that seemed to care about actual mechanics.

That's still crazy to hear about service for a brand new car.

asdad123

That's nuts.

At least you got some dude that seemed to care about actual mechanics.

That's still crazy to hear about service for a brand new car.

Oh I'll still be calling the service manager on monday, but Im not expecting him to do anything.

Ill be asking him for the regional representative contact information (the sales manager said he would have it), even though corporate said they would relay the information. They said when they send the red letter, they will contact the dealership for their side of the story. I was like "they'll probably lie to you like they lied to me". I told them how they said the grease was new, but I have pictures of before and after the repair showing that its the same exact grease. As well as them lying about the backing plate. The guy working on it today said its practically impossible to put the backing plate on in correctly and that they probably left the brake caliper loose and that is was started moving around.

kehs

Banned
Oh I'll still be calling the service manager on monday, but Im not expecting him to do anything.

Ill be asking him for the regional representative contact information (the sales manager said he would have it), even though corporate said they would relay the information. They said when they send the red letter, they will contact the dealership for their side of the story. I was like "they'll probably lie to you like they lied to me". I told them how they said the grease was new, but I have pictures of before and after the repair showing that its the same exact grease. As well as them lying about the backing plate. The guy working on it today said its practically impossible to put the backing plate on in correctly and that they probably left the brake caliper loose and that is was started moving around.

This stuff gets me mad, and it's usually the stuff that gets people to work on their own cars.

I'm really curious, but if you ever get a chance I want to see the new end link boots they put on.

My parents new corolla have lifetime maintenance, and for the first oil change, they said the oil was still ok.I let it fly cause the first scheduled thing was at 5K and they took it in at like 4K, but I still feel weird about it, synthetic and all.

cube444

Mattias Ekström doesn't need to prove anything. He's won the DTM title twice and before that the Swedish Touring Car Championship. But being a racing driver as he is, Ekström has been looking for new challenges. He's contested the Swedish Rally six times, the German Rally twice, he's driven in V8 Supercars and in NASCAR. He's even won the Race of Champions. Twice. Heck, we're surprised his long-time sponsor Red Bull hasn't let him try out one of its F1 cars. But this season it's on to a new challenge: the inaugural FIA World Rallycross Championship.

Ekström drove a Volkswagen Polo fielded by Marklund Motorsport in the Swedish rallycross round last season and came in second, but this year he's diving in head-first with his own team and his own car. His outfit EKS is hard at work preparing the new Audi S1 for competition in the World RX Championship, and will field two of them this season: one for Ekström and another for JWRC champion Pontus Tidemand.

Built to compete in the top category of the championship, the EKS Audi S1 Supercar will pack a 2.0-liter turbo four with 600 horsepower, all-wheel drive and a 0-60 time of 1.9 seconds. It's expected to make its debut late in May at the World RX of Great Britain where it will have to tangle with specially prepared versions of the Citroën DS3, Ford Fiesta ST and Peugeot 208 driven by the likes of Tanner Foust, Ken Block, Jacques Villeneuve and Petter Solberg. The sole North American round will be held in Trois-Rivières, Quebec, in early August, on the same circuit that once hosted Indy Lights, ALMS, Grand-Am, Can-Am and Trans-Am races.

Link

Granadier

It blows me away how much HP these new, tiny motors are able to pump out.

kehs

Banned
I just bought some new tires ( general uhps, looks badass lol) for my truck.

Why do people have an inherent built in nature to fuck with people's stuff? I found a beer bottle snuzzled by one of my tires.

Ah that sucks man, you just got it. Did it only get the bumper or did it get up on the metal too?

Nice WRX, congrats! That's pretty sad about the Challenger though.

It's pretty much all metal. They hit from the mudflap to halfway down my door. Scraped the mud flap, scratched up my rims, bent and scratched the quarter panel and scuffed up the door. The quarter looks like all one piece so they have to bang out and fill the dents, can't even just replace it. :/ she got down to the aluminum on some parts on my rims, they better give me new ones. I've heard refinished ones don't looks the same since they have to sand them and these kind of have a point to them in the design so it'll probably look more rounded compared to the others. I really hope they don't give me shit about replacing the rim.

TxdoHawk

I just bought some new tires ( general uhps, looks badass lol) for my truck.

Why do people have an inherent built in nature to fuck with people's stuff? I found a beer bottle snuzzled by one of my tires.

People are just giant shitholes. At least you caught it.

My friends bought a Prius when they first came out, and a couple of weeks in someone jammed a screwdriver into one of their tires while they were food shopping. :/

Granadier

I think it'll be tough for that price range with 2012 as being the oldest you'll go, but here's a list of ones I think might work.
  • Ford Fusion (maybe? not sure what trim is required for AWD)
  • Subaru Impreza (probably your best bet)
  • VW Passat/CC (if you go back to 2011)
  • Audi A4 (if you go back to ~2010)

Is it bad that I'm starting to regret my purchase of a Cruze and start thinking about the fact I should have went for the Mustang?

I know buyer's remorse, etc. But damn it stings every time I see a Mustang...

Worst part is that's it's not like the Cruze is bad or anything.

Is it bad that I'm starting to regret my purchase of a Cruze and start thinking about the fact I should have went for the Mustang?

I know buyer's remorse, etc. But damn it stings every time I see a Mustang...

Worst part is that's it's not like the Cruze is bad or anything.

Haha, I sort of feel the other way after having it get hit the other day. If you like the Cruze then you shouldn't regret it at all.

Bandit1

This is the last photo I have of her, notice the missing side view and long dent down the side? Yep that was her handy work too

Yeah, that's a shame.

It's pretty much all metal. They hit from the mudflap to halfway down my door. Scraped the mud flap, scratched up my rims, bent and scratched the quarter panel and scuffed up the door. The quarter looks like all one piece so they have to bang out and fill the dents, can't even just replace it. :/ she got down to the aluminum on some parts on my rims, they better give me new ones. I've heard refinished ones don't looks the same since they have to sand them and these kind of have a point to them in the design so it'll probably look more rounded compared to the others. I really hope they don't give me shit about replacing the rim.

Man I feel for you. The quarter panel doesn't unbolt, but a good body man can make it look right again. It's frustrating though, good luck.

what are some nice cars out there with 4 doors, AWD, good MPG? 2012+

I'd say Impreza as well.

TxdoHawk

Amazon was nice enough to Sunday Delivery all my detailing stuff, a few hours later this is the end result:

BaIEzSn.jpg

Optimum No-Rinse, claybar, Klasse All-In-One, topped with Klasse High-Gloss Sealant. I need a scrubber and some stuff to clean the rims and tires, though.

first car with push button keyless entry (or heck any kind of keyless entry). How long do these batteries usually last? Can you ever be locked out of your car, or not be able to start one with dead batteries?

first car with push button keyless entry (or heck any kind of keyless entry). How long do these batteries usually last? Can you ever be locked out of your car, or not be able to start one with dead batteries?
Most have a hidden key to alleviate that problem. You can pop it open and there's a small temp key. Check online for your model.

TxdoHawk

first car with push button keyless entry (or heck any kind of keyless entry). How long do these batteries usually last?

Depends on the quality of the battery in there, 1 to 2 years usually by my experiences. Most of these batteries are user-replaceable, and generally just a simple watch battery. If you ever have to replace, do yourself a favor and replace with a name brand so that they last longer.

Can you ever be locked out of your car, or not be able to start one with dead batteries?

Check your owner's manual, but as others have mentioned, there's usually:

- A physical key you can slide out of the smart key to unlock the doors.

- A way to either use that physical key to start the engine, or some other method to start the car with a dead smart key. Sometimes the smart key has a slot to stick it into, sometimes you have to dump the key in a cupholder, sometimes you push the ignition button with one end of the key, etc.

- Most smart key systems will not let you lock the keys in the car or trunk, initially. However, some cars have an emergency failsafe where if you try locking the keys in multiple times, the car will assume you want to do this and actually lock the doors with the keys in after multiple attempts.

Therefore, I highly recommend you learn what the car does when it tries to tell you it won't lock due to the keys being in the car (usually some kind of weird beep), because if you don't realize this and your car has the failsafe you can lock them in pushing the lock button multiple times, thinking they're in your pocket when they are actually in your jacket in the car or something.

^
That black on that 300 really shines. Looks good man.

Thanks, it was desperately overdue. Unfortunately, there's still some visible spiderwebbing from whatever the previous owner did (automatic washes I assume), so in 5-6 months when it's time to re-do this I'm going to look into paint correction.

lem0n

SS is basically the Holden or Pontiac G8, yeah. With the announcement of the standard transmission and the magnetic whatever ride control now? I have a car to look forward to buying in like 10 years haha. I hope they sell well and don't become collectors items like the very short lived G8 GXP.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
2015 Chevy SS may be getting a 6-speed manual and magnetic ride control.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2015-chevy-ss-to-get-manual-transmission-magnetic-suspension.html

I like the car, (can't afford one) but it still puzzles me that they simply called it an "SS." Could have easily been Caprice/Impala, but it would be nice to see a manual transmission offered for the performance sedan.

Crazy enough, I actually saw one for the first time ever two weeks ago here in central Florida. The car's a unicorn, and it's fairly expensive.

Granadier

SS is basically the Holden or Pontiac G8, yeah. With the announcement of the standard transmission and the magnetic whatever ride control now? I have a car to look forward to buying in like 10 years haha. I hope they sell well and don't become collectors items like the very short lived G8 GXP.

I have a feeling they will become rarities. Sub-par performance, terrible gas mileage, and cheap, outdated parts.

There's a reason the G8 failed. I don't think Americans are looking for a high powered V8 sedan with terrible gas mileage. And if they were, that person would most likely be looking at a CTS-V instead of a Chevrolet.

lem0n

I have a feeling they will become rarities.

There's a reason the G8 failed. I don't think Americans are looking for a high powered V8 sedan with terrible gas mileage. And if they were, that person would most likely be looking at a CTS-V instead of a Chevrolet.
The G8 didn't fail, as much as Pontiac as a whole failed. I think with a facelift and probably some pricing adjustments the G8 could have done very well. It's a small market but the car had everything to really give good performance for 3 Series money.

Also, my last post was wishful thinking, of course this will become a collectors item, it will be similar to the Impala SS of the 90's. Cult classic

Granadier

The G8 didn't fail, as much as Pontiac as a whole failed. I think with a facelift and probably some pricing adjustments the G8 could have done very well. It's a small market but the car had everything to really give good performance for 3 Series money.

Also, my last post was wishful thinking, of course this will become a collectors item, it will be similar to the Impala SS of the 90's. Cult classic

Selling ~15,000 units a year is classified as a failure in my book.

Bandit1

GM/Pontiac made a series of mistakes that led to the brand's demise. They stopped producing the Trans Am (along with the Camaro) in 2002, which was their main performance car from ~1973 up until that time, (yes I am biased) but that left no real "halo" car for the brand, leaving it to be characterized by Sunfires, Aztecs, and Montana minivans. They brought back the GTO but built them in Australia, which angered purists, and combined with the car's reserved styling, $30k + base price and the booming sales of the newly introduced retro-styled Mustang, the car was sadly doomed from the start. After that the G5 was a blatant rebadge of the Cobalt and the Solstice was the only unique car the company had and it was in a small, niche market. By the time the G8 came out, bankruptcy was on the horizon for GM and ultimately the government forced GM to kill Pontiac.

I think the G8 GT and GXP and the Chevy SS will become collector's items. I checked on a G8 GT about a year ago the the lady didn't want to sell it because it was the last Model year for Pontiac.

Schmitty

So Auto-GAF, where is the best place to get dash cams and what are the best brands?

I'm in the market for one, but I really don't know what kind of features I should be looking for. I guess I would want something with SD Card storage that sits in front of my rearview.

Any guidance would be much appreciated so I can avoid spineless jerks from changing their stories once they talk to insurance.

mkenyon

Banned

I pulled the trigger on this, I traded my 2008 Dodge challenger SRT8 in. My now ex wife killed the challenger by blowing the engine and ignoring the oil light. To new beginnings and ironically I'll fit in more when I move to Seattle.
Great trade, IMO.

Welcome to the Pac NW!

lem0n

Selling ~15,000 units a year is classified as a failure in my book.
If Pontiac was even remotely healthy and there was even time for the G8 to really make an impression, I think that sales would have picked up significantly. How long was it actually on sale for? How long after the car was released did the doom and gloom articles on Pontiac start popping up? It's a niche car, so personally, I don't think it did too bad considering everything it had against it. It was actually a superb car so there's no reason it shouldn't have started to pick up in sales.

Technically speaking, though, I guess you're right. It was just released in the wrong place, under the wrong brand, at the wrong time.

Top Bottom