• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

FStop7

Banned
Saw another AMG GT S on the street. Heard some amazing crackles and pops from its exhaust on the overrun. Priced one out on the configurator. I swore I wasn't going to buy another expensive car, that depreciation was awful, etc. I need to just sit and wait like one more year.

Bandit1

That's crazy.

Even crazier is the comments section which kicks off like this:

Female commenter: It's a chevy it's already junk

Male 1: And you drive a....vw, ford (fix or repair daily, etc. Keep wishing

Female: Haha oh Robert your a sad sad man... When a Chevy can be built fromnthe bottom up to withstand power like a y block v8 in a ford lemme know how that goes..smfh

Male 2: Lady, you have absolutely no idea of what you're taking about. Go back to the kitchen

Female: Alex get the sand out of your pu*** and recognize what's good for you ..

matmanx1

Hehe, I really like this show. Funny guy + excellent automobiles = great formula.

And just to show my love for cars encompasses many brands:

efemz12.jpg

This is the T-shirt I'm wearing at work today.

So 996s are stupidly cheap, are they that bad if someone has fixed the IMS problems?

No, but I'd steer away from the 1999 models all the same, as some small few had issues like cracks in the heads, cylinder liner failures, etc. They weren't that bad in the 911s (more common in the Boxsters), but I'd be wary of 99s all the same.

The IMS was really the only big problem. That said I had to spend $2700 on failing output shaft bearings in the transmission of my 2000 at about 65,000 miles. I think the price on replacement parts and labor for transmissions has come way down, though, as when I had the work done Porsche had only just within that year started selling replacement parts for transmissions instead of entire units. Each bearing was about $500.

Now that I mention it...the Porsche tech who replaced them said it wasn't an uncommon failure point, as the sealed bearings they used at the time had a tendency of allowing gunk in but not out. Very similar problem to the one that had such an impact on the IMS bearing. Put a sealed bearing in a motor oil bath and what ends up happening is that shit gets in and can't get out, at which point wear increases rapidly and CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK new engine time.

Edit: That's a lot of words to say that the problems with the 996 are fixable without huge $$$, and if you don't mind a dated interior there isn't a better sports car for the money.

Edit the second: Full transmission rebuild is about $2500 now, including blueprinting, so that's pretty great. Something to keep in mind when you're looking, though, is bearing noise at speed and 2nd gear wanting to pop out. If you encounter that on a test drive you can point out it's an ill portent and negotiate from there.

Rengoku

So 996s are stupidly cheap, are they that bad if someone has fixed the IMS problems?

It depends on what kind of of upgrade kit was used for the IMS bearing. If its a high end retrofit (such as the kit from LN Engineering), the failure rate would be practically zero. Its much cheaper to fix IMS on the 996s because you don't have to disassemble the engine, unlike for 997s. Or you could look for a 996 Turbo/GT2/GT3 and avoid the IMS issue altogether.

Ty4on

No, but I'd steer away from the 1999 models all the same, as some small few had issues like cracks in the heads, cylinder liner failures, etc. They weren't that bad in the 911s (more common in the Boxsters), but I'd be wary of 99s all the same.

Ahhh. I looked at Porsches recently and was surprised at how cheap the Boxers were (lot's of 944s were more expensive), but now it makes much more sense.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
New BMW 7 Series:

06-2015-BMW-7er-Sperrfrist-fotoshowBigImage-2bdfac63-869278.jpg

pics taken from here but you will find high-res pictures here:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/10/2016-bmw-7-series-photos-official/

comes with a touchscreen, there will be an M sport trim, full LED lights (optional with laser light) etc.

also:

|OT3| shitboxes welcome

I have a soft spot for LuxoBarges, and I LOVE how this takes lines from the 6 series sedan, and the interior looks almost blissfully calm, but the BMW grille is comically large. Ruins the front for me.

Y'all are crazy, I think the 7 looks fine. Not great, mind you. It isn't a beautiful car, it's handsome in an "old man who wears a nice suit and combs his hair well" way.

Edit: ....maybe that's giving it too much credit, but I think it looks all right.

Smokey

The problem is the S class literally shits on everything in its segment. If someone has never seen a s before then sure the new 7 is pretty nice.

But everyone has seen the S.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Y'all are crazy, I think the 7 looks fine. Not great, mind you. It isn't a beautiful car, it's handsome in an "old man who wears a nice suit and combs his hair well" way.

Edit: ....maybe that's giving it too much credit, but I think it looks all right.

No one's saying it looks bad.

We're just saying it looks extremely boring, especially compared to what the competition offers.

FStop7

Banned
That's crazy.

Even crazier is the comments section which kicks off like this:

Female commenter: It's a chevy it's already junk

Male 1: And you drive a....vw, ford (fix or repair daily, etc. Keep wishing

Female: Haha oh Robert your a sad sad man... When a Chevy can be built fromnthe bottom up to withstand power like a y block v8 in a ford lemme know how that goes..smfh

Male 2: Lady, you have absolutely no idea of what you're taking about. Go back to the kitchen

Female: Alex get the sand out of your pu*** and recognize what's good for you ..

This is why I left car forums. 90% of them aren't much better.

The last good 7 series was the E38. Still turns heads, along with the E32.

Smokey

Ok I just really looked at the 7 series. It looks nice especially the m sport version. There seems to be a shit ton of tech in it too. Was looking at the pics over at bimmerpost btw. I'd prob consider it if I had the money. In those pics it looks a lot better.

I just pulled an alpha but idgaf

It depends on what kind of of upgrade kit was used for the IMS bearing. If its a high end retrofit (such as the kit from LN Engineering), the failure rate would be practically zero. Its much cheaper to fix IMS on the 996s because you don't have to disassemble the engine, unlike for 997s. Or you could look for a 996 Turbo/GT2/GT3 and avoid the IMS issue altogether.

I thought the IMS issue was fixed on the 997s?
At least on rennlist i was seeing the failure rate at practically zero.

AlphaSnake

Ok I just really looked at the 7 series. It looks nice especially the m sport version. There seems to be a shit ton of tech in it too. Was looking at the pics over at bimmerpost btw. I'd prob consider it if I had the money. In those pics it looks a lot better.

I just pulled an alpha but idgaf

Stop that... >=(

Rengoku

I thought the IMS issue was fixed on the 997s?
At least on rennlist i was seeing the failure rate at practically zero.

It was only completely fixed on the 2nd gen 997s (from MY2009 onwards). The 1st gen 997s can still have the IMS bearing failure, even though its much less likely compared to the 996.

Rennlist has a pretty useful chart that explains the whole IMS issue:

So after talking with level headed people who aren't members of the PCA I think I'm gonna be expanding my search.

I mean for $35K you're able to find so many really really good cars it'll be a sin if I don't even a look. For example, there are shit tons of low mileage Shelby GT500's around me for less than $30K! I almost had to change my pants after seeing those prices.

And one of my other somewhat dream cars, Evo X(not him lol), brand new for $32K. What in the hell...?! Lol.

Now that I've sat and thought about things a little bit, the ND Miata and a Porsche are still one of my top choices, but I'm also adding an Ecoboost Mustang to that list. It's supposed to be a decent daily driver, and I've been hearing a lot of good things about the aftermarket giving that turbo some more jui...er...air so it could potentially be better than the V8 if the aftermarket can do it some proper justice.

On the other hand, I'm still also holding out hope for a Mazdaspeed Miata or BRZ STi so it's really a total crapshoot for the moment and all I know is, these next 12 months are gonna be really exciting lol.

TheBear

Anyone here drive a Megane RS? Are they reliable?
I took the 265 Cup for a test drive a couple of years ago and loved it. Only thing I didn't like was the short travel of the clutch. Like it popped as soon as you lifted your foot. My GTR used to have a twin plate clutch (when it was roadworthy) so I''m used to driving aggressive clutches but it's not very enjoyable for traffic

Smokey

mythumb.php

P90178515_highRes.jpg

P90185616_highRes.jpg

P90178528_highRes.jpg

P90178505_highRes.jpg

P90178504_highRes.jpg

P90185589_highRes.jpg

P90178496_highRes.jpg

I dunno brehs. Looking at it I think it works. Obviously the S Class is god tier. But if you didn't want to be so "posh" and wanted an athletic looking flagship euro sedan...it fits

AlphaSnake

P90178528_highRes.jpg

I dunno brehs. Looking at it I think it works. Obviously the S Class is god tier. But if you didn't want to be so "posh" and wanted an athletic looking flagship euro sedan...it fits

Ugh. So hideous. That high deck lid...looks like a fucking X6 sedan.

zbeeb

re: new 7 series.

It's the headlights that don't do it for me. There's something about them that looks very... korean? I don't know.

You'd be a fool to take the 4cyl mustang over an evo

I've heard rumors that Mitsubishi has completely killed off everything about the Evo and parts will probably become scarce in a few years. If the aftermarket can keep the car alive for at least a few more years I'd say yes, you'd be an idiot to get anything else. But if the aftermarket support dies along with the car, it's gonna be hard to maintain it.

Chocobro

I've heard rumors that Mitsubishi has completely killed off everything about the Evo and parts will probably become scarce in a few years. If the aftermarket can keep the car alive for at least a few more years I'd say yes, you'd be an idiot to get anything else. But if the aftermarket support dies along with the car, it's gonna be hard to maintain it.
I hope there's actual information out there because I might be getting a Evo X in the next several months..

Xdye7

lol dude no offense but you should educate yourself a little bit before putting so much trust into rumors, especially about Mitsubishi and their evo. Anyways, it is required by law for the warranty to be honored and for parts to continue to be manufactured for a few years after a model has been discontinued. Regardless, there's a ridiculous amount of aftermarket support for the evo, scarcity of parts or whatever would be highly improbable even if mitsu cut off all support immediately for whatever reason. The evo x runs 22 lbs of boost stock and will clock 100k miles no sweat with just your average fluid changes and maintenance, as far as I'm aware there should be no reason to worry. Also let's not forget that Mitsubishi motors is a subsidary of a massive well established multinational conglomerate. They're not exactly just going to disappear off the face of the earth. Mitsubishi certainly makes questionable business decisions, however if one thing is certain it's that the evo was done right.

My point is, the only reason you or anyone else shouldn't get an evo is if you or they don't like the way it drives.

Sort of off on a tangent/stirring some shit up:
I can't be the only one to notice that mitsu, aware of it or not, was way ahead of the game back in 2007 when they created the evo x, MR trim specifically: a performance turbo 4 cyl paired with a DCT. Now, what was that thing porsche was gonna do sometime in the near future? :p

Had a blast at the track today and made some new friends!

Here's a few pics:

Awesome man, hope you had an awesome time on the track, how'd the car feel? And somebody took video, I mean come on.

And track days really are a great opportunity to meet people, and hell if it's a PCA meet you've got a shot at executive level networking too. Once I settle in to a town one of the first things I plan on doing is getting active with the local PCA chapter--good people and good opportunities.

matmanx1

What kind of shells does it fire? 155mm?

Haha, ok I admit this got a chuckle out of me.

Re: The new 7 series - The side profile is not bad and the interior is pretty cool. The 56 screens might be a little bit of overkill but in the class it is playing in I guess you really can't add "too much" can you?

I hope there's actual information out there because I might be getting a Evo X in the next several months..

Same, I'm actually highly considering it myself since it would be a fantastic daily driver and it's almost a unicorn car here in Texas.

lol dude no offense but you should educate yourself a little bit before putting so much trust into rumors, especially about Mitsubishi and their evo. Anyways, it is required by law for the warranty to be honored and for parts to continue to be manufactured for a few years after a model has been discontinued. Regardless, there's a ridiculous amount of aftermarket support for the evo, scarcity of parts or whatever would be highly improbable even if mitsu cut off all support immediately for whatever reason. The evo x runs 22 lbs of boost stock and will clock 100k miles no sweat with just your average fluid changes and maintenance, as far as I'm aware there should be no reason to worry. Also let's not forget that Mitsubishi motors is a subsidary of a massive well established multinational conglomerate. They're not exactly just going to disappear off the face of the earth. Mitsubishi certainly makes questionable business decisions, however if one thing is certain it's that the evo was done right.

My point is, the only reason you or anyone else shouldn't get an evo is if you or they don't like the way it drives.

Sort of off on a tangent/stirring some shit up:
I can't be the only one to notice that mitsu, aware of it or not, was way ahead of the game back in 2007 when they created the evo x, MR trim specifically: a performance turbo 4 cyl paired with a DCT. Now, what was that thing porsche was gonna do sometime in the near future? :p

Of course rumors are gonna be taken with a grain of salt, but you probably should educate yourself on how shittily run Mitsubishi is these days. They already killed off the Evo, in favor of a penalty boxes or hybrids, economy cars, and more hybrids. As old as it is, there was no reason to kill off the Evo barring low sales numbers, and that's exactly what's happened here.

I've already talked about this months ago, poor marketing and Mitsubishi's tomfoolery(leading to a unicorn status) killed off the Evo. It already had a solid motor and more decently built interior to fight the STi but not many people knew it existed and thought it was only a Gran Turismo car. Like if you knew the Evo X existed, then you knew, otherwise, it only existed in a video game.

I'll admit I'm wrong about the aftermarket though. I shot Cobb Tuning a question last night about this and they said that the aftermarket is alive and kicking for the moment. It could possibly lose it's steam in the future but there's already a plethora of existing parts and blueprints so it should be good in the long run.

Also you might wanna take a look at your claim about being required to make parts after it's dead: http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...der-us-federal-law-to-provide-parts-for-a-set This is the best thing I could find about that law you mentioned, and a link to a Snopes message board discussing the same thing.

Jackson

Have fun on the track day man! Looking forward to see the GoPro footage.
Track was a blast. The GTS is a beast. There was a white GTS there too from Portland. But I passed him plenty of times (it's not a race... yes it is). :p

Tons of Caymans though. Lots of S2000s, Minis, Miatas, Mustangs too. A few 911s.

Videos got overexposed because I mounted them on the luggage bar directly behind my seat. I'm a gopro noob. It's not even mine, borrowed from a buddy. Anyway, apparently you use the spot meter setting to fix the dark interior/bright exterior problem.

I'm gonna try to fix the contrast in Premier/After Effects, but it probably won't do much. I might upload it anyway if its somewhat viewable.

Oh well, next track day I'll get that sorted out. ;)

Track was a blast. The GTS is a beast. There was a white GTS there too from Portland. But I passed him plenty of times (it's not a race... yes it is). :p

Tons of Caymans though. Lots of S2000s, Minis, Miatas, Mustangs too. A few 911s.

Videos got overexposed because I mounted them on the luggage bar directly behind my seat. I'm a gopro noob. It's not even mine, borrowed from a buddy. Anyway, apparently you use the spot meter setting to fix the dark interior/bright exterior problem.

I'm gonna try to fix the contrast in Premier/After Effects, but it probably won't do much. I might upload it anyway if its somewhat viewable.

Oh well, next track day I'll get that sorted out. ;)
I had the same problem. You might have luck turning down the exposure in the video but everything in the cabin will wash out.

Top Bottom