• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
PorscheGAF, I'm sure this has been answered before, but for some reason I don't know this already: Did the 987 Cayman (say, 2006-2008) have any major, costly issues?
My plan for forever has been to get one of those once the price has dropped enough, but not if there is some crazy maintenance issue.

I know it's obviously not as good nor as good looking as the current 981 Cayman, but I'm cheap.

FStop7

Banned
The 996 TT is a good car. If you want RWD it's not difficult to convert.

The only downside, for me, is the styling. It's not an ugly car but it's a far cry from the 930, 964, 993, 997, and 991.

Porsche fans please discuss:

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-996-turbo-is-the-best-porsche-911-you-ca-1665776219

All this talk lately has me thirsty as fuck.

The looks of it don't bother me, in fact the 996 really grew on me while I had one and I now look at the 993 as the ugly step-child of the 911 family (just kidding, the 964 is the worst).

Also, with darker 996s you can do this, which actually looks kind of nice:
436236d1271944219-tinted-headlights-photo.jpg

What was I saying? Oh yeah, the TT. Awesome cars but I never cared for their exhaust note--it's too muted by the turbos.

PorscheGAF, I'm sure this has been answered before, but for some reason I don't know this already: Did the 987 Cayman (say, 2006-2008) have any major, costly issues?
My plan for forever has been to get one of those once the price has dropped enough, but not if there is some crazy maintenance issue.

I know it's obviously not as good nor as good looking as the current 981 Cayman, but I'm cheap.

It would be susceptible to IMS issues, and I hear they also had some oiling issues where the air/oil separator would fail and trash the engine via hydrolock. Been a while since I've looked into it, but it's worth checking into if you're considering one.

Kipp

Regarding the 996, I think it looks pretty bland compared to other 911s, but I still think it looks nice. It's got a certain sleekness to it. If I ever got one, I'd definitely do a headlight conversion though.

It would be susceptible to IMS issues, and I hear they also had some oiling issues where the air/oil separator would fail and trash the engine via hydrolock. Been a while since I've looked into it, but it's worth checking into if you're considering one.

Ah, good to know. Thanks!
Maybe I'll just hold out another 10 years or so until the current generation is cheap enough. Haha

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
can't wait for the AlphaReverse ™

Considering that the car comes standard with essentials like the navigation, and a host of other toys, you don't have to equip this car with much. Order an M4 with your choice of transmission (the DCT is $2900 extra), leave the 18s on it (you can always get something else later), and add the Harmon/Kardon audio for a measly $895. Your MSRP with the dual clutch comes out to $69,000, with an invoice price of $64,380. And if your persistent enough, a deal $500 above invoice should be easily doable. At that cost, the BMW M4 is a good deal.

Pls

AlphaSnake

I was at the 7 series unveiling yesterday- you have to see it in person to really get it. Pictures don't do it justice. Dat Laserlight.

Did you get one of those silly mini-tablet invites that plays a video once you open the box? LOL.

That's how my invite came in.

Ty4on

The looks of it don't bother me, in fact the 996 really grew on me while I had one and I now look at the 993 as the ugly step-child of the 911 family (just kidding, the 964 is the worst).

Also, with darker 996s you can do this, which actually looks kind of nice:
436236d1271944219-tinted-headlights-photo.jpg

Eyelids for cars always look wrong. I'd just embrace the fried egg.

I know it's been kinda overrated, but I still love the smooth lines of the 993. Especially the targa.
IMG_3504.jpg

Jackson

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-996-turbo-is-the-best-porsche-911-you-ca-1665776219

Doug DeMuro! He's got style! lol

I mean sure it's a 996 Turbo... but Evo did a track battle of the 996 GT3 vs the Cayman GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTv1iNB9gJA

Guess who wins (by a large margin)? (Hint: :D) Go for the new hawtnessseseseses

Nah, I'd definitely want AWD. I'm in the Pacific Northwest :p

You are?! Me too. :) Mid-Engine RWD 4LYFE!

Kipp

I know it's been kinda overrated, but I still love the smooth lines of the 993. Especially the targa.
IMG_3504.jpg

That tiny little spoiler on the back of the 993 has always bugged me for some reason. Besides that though, the 993 is gorgeous.

mkenyon

Banned

dat damage control doe

also it's you're, not your. Example: You're supposedly a professional writer.
Doug DeMuro! He's got style! lol

I mean sure it's a 996 Turbo... but Evo did a track battle of the 996 GT3 vs the Cayman GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTv1iNB9gJA

Guess who wins (by a large margin)? (Hint: :D) Go for the new hawtnessseseseses

You are?! Me too. :) Mid-Engine RWD 4LYFE!
If you can find a Cayman GTS for the same price as 996 turbos, I'm all ears.

Also yeah, I'm in Thurston County, rural side. I'm literally minutes from mountain backroads.

Jackson

That tiny little spoiler on the back of the 993 has always bugged me for some reason. Besides that though, the 993 is gorgeous.

It's so you can carry it around easily, like the Gamecube's handle!

dat damage control doe

If you can find a Cayman GTS for the same price as 996 turbos, I'm all ears.

Also yeah, I'm in Thurston County, rural side. I'm literally minutes from mountain backroads.

Are you OK with salvaged titles? :p

EDIT: Oh! I was in Mason County at the Ridge yesterday in Shelton. Also highway 101... huh?! Amazing.

mkenyon

Banned
Not so much :p
Are you OK with salvaged titles? :p

EDIT: Oh! I was in Mason County at the Ridge yesterday in Shelton. Also highway 101... huh?! Amazing.
Yeah, back when I had my WRX, I spent many many weekends in that area. I'm more towards Rainier tho, actually in between Yelm and the City of Rainier.

AlphaSnake

dat damage control doe

also it's you're, not your. Example: You're supposedly a professional writer.

Grammar nazism? You seriously want to go there or were you kidding?

I literally posted that out of the unedited and unproofed text file. What I posted here had a number of corrections. And how is it damage control when it was in the initial review to begin with? Why are you harping on this exactly?

Also, I'm not a professional writer and haven't been for over 5 years now. I do this sometimes purely for fun. And if you think that your everyday article on the major pubs don't contain errors worse than a common and unintentional slip-up...

mkenyon

Banned
Maps, please. (Pierce County here)
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.81501,-122.5274574,11z

Pretty much this whole section:

lAlQ98g.png

It's mostly Weyerhauser property that is untouched. The only thing you really come across is the random deer, and then trucks with horse trailers since there's good trails out there. Even then, those are crazy rare.

Close up:

m57Rb59.png

Grammar nazism? You seriously want to go there or were you kidding?

I literally posted that out of the unedited and unproofed text file. What I posted here had a number of corrections. And how is it damage control when it was in the initial review to begin with? Why are you harping on this exactly?

Also, I'm not a professional writer and haven't been for over 5 years now. I do this sometimes purely for fun. And if you think that your everyday article on the major pubs don't contain errors worse than a common and unintentional slip-up...
Dude. It's in good fun, c'mon now. I respect you and your opinion. I dropped $35 grand based on your opinion.

You're just so easily riled up, it makes you an easy mark.

AlphaSnake

Dude. It's in good fun, c'mon now. I respect you and your opinion. I dropped $35 grand based on your opinion.

Fair enough. I can't tell with you sometimes. One day you call me toxic and I found that hilarious, actually.

But grammar nazism is where I draw the line!

Kipp

"Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86"

deroli

I think the 7 series looks much better without the M styling kit. With the package on the left, the stock version on the right:

Code:
[img]http://abload.de/img/7-series-sedan-equipml1lv0.jpg[/img]

I don't like the sportier look at all. The car loses its class with the modified aprons IMO. I agree that the kidneys are a bit too massive... but besides that, it is a fine looking car.
And the best thing about the car is I made a small contribution to it. My employer is one of the many subcontractors involved. It is so satisfying to see the result of your hard work driving on the street.

AlphaSnake

I'll never understand why 'nazism' is supposed to be capitalized. And I'll never do it.

Capitalizing Marxism I get. But nazism I don't.

Also, do you even have to still cap the first letter of 'nazism' when we're talking about a fictitious sect not related to the actual nazis?

Is there any truth to those rumors about Mitsubishi killing off parts?

Like I said before, when I asked Cobb Tuning about it, they said we'll all be fine as the aftermarket can deal with it. And while I have no problem about that, it does make me a little concerned myself about owning one in the future.

Especially since I'm buying it next year, where there may not be any new cars sitting on lots.

So small story. When I was coming out of the awesome midnight showing of Jurassic World, someone did a burn out and sped off in their bright red 370Z. That was awesome.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Is there any truth to those rumors about Mitsubishi killing off parts?

Like I said before, when I asked Cobb Tuning about it, they said we'll all be fine as the aftermarket can deal with it. And while I have no problem about that, it does make me a little concerned myself about owning one in the future.

Especially since I'm buying it next year, where there may not be any new cars sitting on lots.

cant speak to that, but the post above knocking the rumors down seemed pretty reasonable to me.

the car is absolutely mental though. i adore mine.

Smokey

Can you run that on E85?

Did you bump from a regular 980?

If so, let me know if you think the bump was worth it. I play at 1600p and wanted to run Witcher 3 maxed out.

Smokey's high again.

hahaha

Rukus I am running two Titan X cards

There's a pretty huge jump from the 980 to the Gigabyte G1 980Ti btw

check here and look at the benches

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,13.html

if i didn't have two TXs this would be the 980Ti I'd go for...pretty much perfect card for 1440 and even 4k.

SORRY FOR THE DERAIL PORSCHES ARE AWESOME

AlphaSnake

My brother sent me vids of a Huayra and La Ferrari in Long Island getting clear bras done.

:'(

So paur

Jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQss5c9dCW4&feature=youtu.be&t=45
(link cuts out the first first 45 seconds of boredom.)

Here it is... My overexposed track day vid! They were all pretty crappy. This one with a coach is the best one I got, it was also the first one using the GoPro. I shoulda checked this stuff between vids. :(

The 1/2 straight is what's the worst offender brightness wise. Most of the middle of the track you can see the turns and it's not too bright.

They run 3 pregrid lanes -- slow/medium/fast for groups A and B. I was first in fast lane this run so the people I'm passing towards the in here I'm lapping, except my buddy in the Vantage GT, he was behind me the whole time and then passed me towards the end. Me and my buddy mostly did lead/follow all day for A group, no one ever passed us, just ourselves.

Typically when you've never ran the track before you want to be in group A so you're not pissing off B/C/D cause you're learning the racing line. Also it's been a few years since I've tracked a car, so getting to run easy and having a coach here and there for pointers was very nice. In group A you gotta wait for other drivers to point-to-pass for you to pass them. So I need to wait for them to acknowledge me otherwise I'll get black flagged if I pass (also in appropriate passing straights only). The S2000 took 3 passing straights to acknowledge me and was blue flagged twice (which means hey let the guy pass) lol.

I got bumped to group B at the end of the day. I'll be there for a long time. Group C is for hardcorez. Group D is for race prepped cars.

Anyway... Fun Day! Good track, lots of elevation changes with few off camber turns (which I don't enjoy). GTS is a beast.

hahaha

Rukus I am running two Titan X cards

There's a pretty huge jump from the 980 to the Gigabyte G1 980Ti btw

check here and look at the benches

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,13.html

if i didn't have two TXs this would be the 980Ti I'd go for...pretty much perfect card for 1440 and even 4k.

SORRY FOR THE DERAIL PORSCHES ARE AWESOME

Selling my 980 and 780ti to cover this. Should be fun. Nice job again nvidia.

Here it is... My overexposed track day vid. They were all pretty crappy. This one with a coach is the best one I got, it was also the first one using the GoPro. I shoulda checked this stuff between vids. :(

The 1/2 straight is what's the worst offender brightness wise. Most of the middle of the track you can see the turns and it's not too bright.

They run 3 pregrid lanes -- slow/medium/fast for groups A and B. I was first in fast lane this run so the people I'm passing towards the in here I'm lapping, except my buddy in the Vantage GT, he was behind me the whole time and then passed me towards the end. Me and my buddy mostly did lead/follow all day for A group, no one ever passed us, just ourselves.

Typically when you've never ran the track before you want to be in group A so you're not pissing off B/C/D cause you're learning the racing line. Also it's been a few years since I've tracked a car, so getting to run easy and having a coach here and there for pointers was very nice. In group A you gotta wait for other passe to point-to-pass for you to pass. So I need to wait for them to acknowledge me otherwise I'll get black flagged if I pass (also in appropriate passing straights only). The S2000 took 3 passing straights to acknowledge me and was blue flagged twice (which means hey let the guy pass) lol.

I got bumped to group B at the end of the day. I'll be there for a long time. Group C is for hardcorez. Group D is for race prepped cars.

Anyway... Fun Day! Good track, lots of elevation changes with few off camber turns (which I don't enjoy). GTS is a beast.

Car sounds great!

Nice driving!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
mythumb.php

P90178515_highRes.jpg

I dunno brehs. Looking at it I think it works. Obviously the S Class is god tier. But if you didn't want to be so "posh" and wanted an athletic looking flagship euro sedan...it fits

It looks like someone attached a BMW grill to a Skoda.

matmanx1

Well, once I get my garage built I will be looking really hard at a number of 911's from the SC all the way up to the 997's. At this point I think I want an older air cooled since it will be a "fun" car (and I've never owned a classic Posrsche) but I will definitely seek out a 996 TT for a test drive.

IMS issues are very rare. I wouldn't loose any sleep over an IMS problem in a 987. The oil issue that The Dave spoke of generally would only rear its head in hard track use when the G forces are very high. Overall I believe the 987's are solid cars.

Here it is... My overexposed track day vid! They were all pretty crappy. This one with a coach is the best one I got, it was also the first one using the GoPro. I shoulda checked this stuff between vids. :(

Typically when you've never ran the track before you want to be in group A so you're not pissing off B/C/D cause you're learning the racing line. Also it's been a few years since I've tracked a car, so getting to run easy and having a coach here and there for pointers was very nice. In group A you gotta wait for other drivers to point-to-pass for you to pass them. So I need to wait for them to acknowledge me otherwise I'll get black flagged if I pass (also in appropriate passing straights only). The S2000 took 3 passing straights to acknowledge me and was blue flagged twice (which means hey let the guy pass) lol.

Even with the overexposure it looked like fun and it sure sounded good. I love how the Cayman is geared so tall that you basically only need 2nd and 3rd for many tracks.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a smaller car sometimes next year as I cannot afford to upgrade from my current SUV to a bigger one yet. I was looking around and saw the Subaru BRZ which is relatively cheap for what you get so I was wondering if its a good car, or sports car?

I've never driven a sports car, but I'm used to manual gearbox. I've driven a Civic and Corolla, which are probably the closest thing to this as I've always been an SUV guy. What are its pros and cons?

Thanks for the input.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom