• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

It's not bad at all... I'm currently doing this right now. It's mostly muscle memory, and it becomes second nature. It also helps that the clutch is rather light on my current car.

I was test driving both before making my final decision. You've got nice tastes in cars my friend ^_^

WOW... And how was the driving instructor so silent during the bit I watch!? (I gave up after the second lap).

Damn...Seriously that's amazing!

It's totally worth sitting through the whole thing. Trust me.

This is just godly.

mitsubishi-evolution-x-white-bronze1.jpg

If it was a little more affordable at the time, i would have gotten one. I was hurt when it was discontinued, one of those I will never own. :(

This is just godly.

If it was a little more affordable at the time, i would have gotten one. I was hurt when it was discontinued, one of those I will never own. :(

They still exist man lol.

There's at least 10 brand new 2014 GSR's in the DFW area as of right now. And I don't think that number is gonna change much within the next year, hence why I'm considering one for next year.

I'm surprised the instructor didn't do something. Well, besides gesture.

Instructor shouldn't be allowed to instruct in future either.

He should have shut this down. Part of your job as an instructor is to keep the driving safe for other participants. That's why there's a graduation system in place to let you run more aggressively in the faster group as your skill and comfort level develops.

His Jedi hand signals clearly weren't effective.

Instructor shouldn't be allowed to instruct in future either.

He should have shut this down. Part of your job as an instructor is to keep the driving safe for other participants. That's why there's a graduation system in place to let you run more aggressively in the faster group as your skill and comfort level develops.

His Jedi hand signals clearly weren't effective.

Forget more aggressive groups, they were racing. Racing isn't allowed at HPDE events, end of story.

Watching again and fuck, overtaking on the inside without having the line going into the corner and going sideways, how did the instructor not pull him in?

Also it appears that the Edge has the exact same interior design and quality as the Fusion but costs 7k more because it is a crossover.

The 15 Edge is pretty sweet. Besides' the Edge is a huge compared to the Fusion. I don't see why the size wouldn't add more to the price. Hell, I freakin' base Transit work van is more expensive than the Fusion.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I got to drool on the Ford GT at E3 today. My god. I literally couldn't fit my credit card in the front right panel gap.

It's like it's chiseled out of a single block of fiberglass. I am not a fan of the blue color, but every other thing about it is riveting.

And actually the new Miata was kind of awesome too.

Will the 2016/17WRX have a hatchback?

2016 - no. Sedan only, minor changes (Starlink radios, 18" wheels on Premium/Limited models, two new colors).

2017 - who knows. Subaru has said there would be no hatch as they only had money to develop one body style, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

If you live elsewhere in the world you may have access to the Levorg soon. If you're in North America, you're SOL.

Evo X

Well... I picked up a new daily...

11333717_1406473279681597_1547875647_n.jpg

Congrats! Seems like the perfect car for Canada. You gonna rally it in the winter? :D

I literally just picked up my new WRX today, which l traded in a 2013 GT86 for.
The WRX:
b8EWWIK.jpg

Sweet pickup. Whereas the 86 is a more pure sports car experience, the WRX is a much better all around car. I really like that color too.

So AutoGuide did a review of the Huracan.
It's pretty funny, honestly. https://youtu.be/-2vuOMVbZ6k

lol, that was awesome. I'd daily a Huracan if I had one, but then again I don't have a terrible work commute.

Don't do this at a trackday ok? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9X2-sE4EcU

The new cars with all their electronic aids are allow for this crap.

It's not the cars fault there is a dumbass behind the wheel. He probably would have killed somebody if the electronics weren't there.

This is just godly.

Have something against buying used? There will be a bunch of them available for sale whenever you decide to get one.

Excited about my new pick up. 2011 special edition with 19k on it. I'll have to snag some better pics with the top down, but the gold has grown on me.

Congrats! Not sure about the stripe, but gold wheels on black always look cool.

Damn...Seriously that's amazing!

The fuel pump kept chirping, it sounded damn annoying like a cricket inside the car and from outside it made the car sound like a piece of garbage. They tried replacing it twice, and then flew in a bunch of engineers from Japan to take a look at it and run some tests. They replaced it that last time (making it three total and eligible for lemon law), so he just decided to get a WRX instead lol. Props to Subaru though for being so good and accommodating. Their customer service was incredible.

minx

The 15 Edge is pretty sweet. Besides' the Edge is a huge compared to the Fusion. I don't see why the size wouldn't add more to the price. Hell, I freakin' base Transit work van is more expensive than the Fusion.

I really like the looks of the Edge inside and out I can't just justice any 5 seat SUVs in that price range when the Grand Cherokee seems like by far the choice to make.

The fuel pump kept chirping, it sounded damn annoying like a cricket inside the car and from outside it made the car sound like a piece of garbage. They tried replacing it twice, and then flew in a bunch of engineers from Japan to take a look at it and run some tests. They replaced it that last time (making it three total and eligible for lemon law), so he just decided to get a WRX instead lol. Props to Subaru though for being so good and accommodating. Their customer service was incredible.

Ah, under Lemon Law. The 100% tiv makes sense. A lot of people have had the chirping issue but surprisingly, I've never faced it.

Even if not under Lemon Law, Subaru's guaranteed trade-in value is fairly decent. It is independent of a dealership, so you can still negotiate the price on your new car. And it has stayed about 10% higher than what Carmax or others offer.

I've heard of this happening to a lot of those cars and I can't figure out why they haven't been able to find the issue. It shouldn't be that difficult to fix. It's probably not bearings because they're not failing, just making noise, so that leaves some sort of flaw in the impeller, internal plumbing issue or external line flow issue causing cavitation.

It's not fucking hard. I wonder if universal units can be used instead and if they have the same chirping.

Edit: At an engineering level it's not hard, I mean. A dealer will never be able to fix it they'll just replace it with another faulty pump.

Edit the second: Ohhhh direct injection 3,000psi. Not going to be grabbing an off the shelf universal for something like that.

Edit: At an engineering level it's not hard, I mean. A dealer will never be able to fix it they'll just replace it with another faulty pump.

It isn't that easy. I was speaking to an engineer at a large automotive supplier last year. They were having similar noise issues with fuel pumps in the field on certain Toyota vehicles they were supplying to. The problem was narrowed down to a resonance noise for certain fuel mixtures and certain operating conditions. The issue was that when the pumps were removed and sent back to the engineering team, they didn't display the problem on the test bed and had to be marked as no trouble found.

The BRZ/FRS issue is more widespread as a percentage of cars out there, but considering the small number of vehicles out there, the problem would have been equally difficult to track down.

matmanx1

Excited about my new pick up. 2011 special edition with 19k on it. I'll have to snag some better pics with the top down, but the gold has grown on me.

Nice! I'm of the opinion that almost any Miata is a good Miata and that black and gold is unique.

Good on Subaru then. Sounds like your brother was treated well and that's great to hear.

It also highlights yet another reason why I don't fully trust direct injection yet. Great power gains but a lot of companies are having niggling issues with it. Carbon build up, high pressure fuel pump failures, chirping fuel pumps, injector failures, etc.

The engineers will eventually get it all figured out but it's going to take a few years and a few revisions before that happens.

It's totally worth sitting through the whole thing. Trust me.

Holy crap! What the hell was he thinking!?! And why didn't the instructor shut that down after the third lap?!?!

This is just godly.

On of the reasons why I was on the hunt for one!

They still exist man lol.

There's at least 10 brand new 2014 GSR's in the DFW area as of right now. And I don't think that number is gonna change much within the next year, hence why I'm considering one for next year.

The market for them is AWESOME in the US. In Canada it kinda sucks. There were a few 2014's on various lots in my city, but there was bunch of 2015's as well.

Will the 2016/17WRX have a hatchback?

There's nothing for the 2016 year, and I haven't heard about them bringing it back anytime soon. The pricing for used hatches is kinda crazy from what I've seen.

I guess people are all about that hatch life!

Congrats on the purchase my man!

2016 - no. Sedan only, minor changes (Starlink radios, 18" wheels on Premium/Limited models, two new colors).

2017 - who knows. Subaru has said there would be no hatch as they only had money to develop one body style, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

If you live elsewhere in the world you may have access to the Levorg soon. If you're in North America, you're SOL.

I still can't believe that they are not going to release the Levorg in North America...

Congrats! Seems like the perfect car for Canada. You gonna rally it in the winter? :D

Thanks my man!

I look forward to this winter as the last one was rather rough. I'll do my best to thrash it around in the snow!

Ah I've read about that problem. Flying the engineers over is nothing new for larger Japanese companies, but I'm glad that they were working with him while trying to solve the issue.

He's going to really enjoy that new car for sure!

Chocobro

Thanks for the responses everyone :) Looks like I'll go for a WRX if it's roughly the same price as a BRZ. But what if the BRZ is about $5K cheaper than a WRX? Would it be fine to buy used or certified in general? This is going to be my first car purchase (though my parents will be paying for it and I'll be paying them back over time).

Such as these listings from AutoTrader:
Certified 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium (white, $18,296)
Used 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium (red, $19,996)

What should I look out for in online listings? I know to look at the CarFax, that's really it.

And whatsinaname, I don't think I'll have problem with storing car wheels. I'll be back living with my parents in a house and probably have to clean up the garage because my dad has a lot of stuff in there.

Who's getting a Jeep Cherokee Hellcat?

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/report-707-horsepower-2017-jeep-grand-cherokee-hellcat-1712338623

0-60 in 3s....

Thanks for the responses everyone :) Looks like I'll go for a WRX if it's roughly the same price as a BRZ. But what if the BRZ is about $5K cheaper than a WRX? Would it be fine to buy used or certified in general? This is going to be my first car purchase (though my parents will be paying for it and I'll be paying them back over time).

Such as these listings from AutoTrader:

What should I look out for in online listings? I know to look at the CarFax, that's really it.

And whatsinaname, I don't think I'll have problem with storing car wheels. I'll be back living with my parents in a house and probably have to clean up the garage because my dad has a lot of stuff in there.

Certified is definitely the way to go. Nothing much has changed on the cars since MY 2013. Only reason I bought new was because the difference then was only $1k or so.

Chocobro

Certified is definitely the way to go. Nothing much has changed on the cars since MY 2013. Only reason I bought new was because the difference then was only $1k or so.

Ah I see. Not too long after posting, my friend was saying to buy new lol "New has less problems. You don't know how much the owner beat on the car before you, especially if it was a lease. To me, certified is bullshit. If you've ever seen the techs do maintenance on cars, it's subpar. They follow a handbook that the manufacturer gives them. But then again it really depends."

Just his opinion obviously.

Ah I see. Not too long after posting, my friend was saying to buy new lol "New has less problems. You don't know how much the owner beat on the car before you, especially if it was a lease. To me, certified is bullshit. If you've ever seen the techs do maintenance on cars, it's subpar. They follow a handbook that the manufacturer gives them. But then again it really depends."

Just his opinion obviously.

Something like a BRZ or STI, I would definitely be careful about buying used.

Certified is definitely not bullshit. Certification comes from the manufacturer and they can't afford to be dodgy on it.

I've had good luck with a certified Impreza in the past. The one thing that broke (headlight cluster) was replaced quickly and at no charge.

For used performance cars in general: I'd always be wary of inheriting someone else's science project. You have no idea how the car was driven or what mods were used and then removed before the trade in. I'd buy new; BRZs often go for well under sticker and the interest rate from Subaru is essentially zero.

Also, perhaps consider the FR-S. I drove both back-to-back and they are nearly identical, but the FR-S' rear is a bit more lively, the stereo is leagues better, Toyota is offering 0.9% and it comes in motherfucking orange. Shame they can't seem to get the interior nighttime lighting right, though :\

It isn't that easy. I was speaking to an engineer at a large automotive supplier last year. They were having similar noise issues with fuel pumps in the field on certain Toyota vehicles they were supplying to. The problem was narrowed down to a resonance noise for certain fuel mixtures and certain operating conditions. The issue was that when the pumps were removed and sent back to the engineering team, they didn't display the problem on the test bed and had to be marked as no trouble found.

The BRZ/FRS issue is more widespread as a percentage of cars out there, but considering the small number of vehicles out there, the problem would have been equally difficult to track down.

There's the problem right there. These direct injection pumps look to be pretty finicky, and if you don't look at them in context you're never going to find the issue. If a very small percentage start to fail it might just be the units themselves but when you have constant issues across an entire line you need to look at it as part of a system.

I work with a lot of automotive engineers and many of them aren't near as clever as they think they are. They're usually also terrible at developing multiple solutions to problems; they constantly pick the first solution they think up and doggedly stick with it even if it doesn't produce good results. Eventually someone else enters the problem, goes "Why not try this instead?" and voila, instant success.

Well, not instant success. Usually the engineer fights the proposed solution, saying it's no good and who are you to think you know better than me and blah blah blah blah blah until a manager tells them to shove it and then the fix goes through.

God I am so tired of working with engineers.

Thanks. I keep waxing and waning on getting a new car. I would love to have a hatchback(kids and activities but also able to zip around in the city) but the sedan WRX looks normal enough.
I also want that new Miata....

Jackson

Stupid. Especially if you're a company that rented out the track for yourselves. You're not crashing into anyone...

The weather was really neat this morning so I took a picture. It's pretty clear that I have what is probably the worst modern camera phone in America (Droid Mini).

Obligatory Auto Discussion Thread Porsche pic of the day! lol

boltz

There's the problem right there. These direct injection pumps look to be pretty finicky, and if you don't look at them in context you're never going to find the issue. If a very small percentage start to fail it might just be the units themselves but when you have constant issues across an entire line you need to look at it as part of a system.

I work with a lot of automotive engineers and many of them aren't near as clever as they think they are. They're usually also terrible at developing multiple solutions to problems; they constantly pick the first solution they think up and doggedly stick with it even if it doesn't produce good results. Eventually someone else enters the problem, goes "Why not try this instead?" and voila, instant success.

Well, not instant success. Usually the engineer fights the proposed solution, saying it's no good and who are you to think you know better than me and blah blah blah blah blah until a manager tells them to shove it and then the fix goes through.

God I am so tired of working with engineers.

Isn't it ironic? Engineers get trained on multiple problem solving methodologies, but a lot of times default to jumping to conclusions or whatever solution comes into their head first.

Nice! I'm of the opinion that almost any Miata is a good Miata and that black and gold is unique.

Good on Subaru then. Sounds like your brother was treated well and that's great to hear.

It also highlights yet another reason why I don't fully trust direct injection yet. Great power gains but a lot of companies are having niggling issues with it. Carbon build up, high pressure fuel pump failures, chirping fuel pumps, injector failures, etc.

The engineers will eventually get it all figured out but it's going to take a few years and a few revisions before that happens.

I've heard of this happening to a lot of those cars and I can't figure out why they haven't been able to find the issue. It shouldn't be that difficult to fix. It's probably not bearings because they're not failing, just making noise, so that leaves some sort of flaw in the impeller, internal plumbing issue or external line flow issue causing cavitation.

It's not fucking hard. I wonder if universal units can be used instead and if they have the same chirping.

Edit the second: Ohhhh direct injection 3,000psi. Not going to be grabbing an off the shelf universal for something like that.

Ah, under Lemon Law. The 100% tiv makes sense. A lot of people have had the chirping issue but surprisingly, I've never faced it.

Even if not under Lemon Law, Subaru's guaranteed trade-in value is fairly decent. It is independent of a dealership, so you can still negotiate the price on your new car. And it has stayed about 10% higher than what Carmax or others offer.

I read it might be the ethanol in the gas that's sold here (which isn't in Japan). Either way, their customer service was truly amazing.

Sat in a 600whp Evo X last night.

That shit was super intoxicating and everything I have known was completely absorbed by the passenger seat.

The way the acceleration pushed you to the back of the seat was ridiculous, there's like a 2 second gap from 0 RPM to wherever the turbo kicks and during that 2secs gap it feels like a regular car but the moment the turbo kicks in, it literally just pushes you towards the back of the seat, similar to whiplash.

The one thing I'm sad about that is the fact that I've gotta get the TC-SST if I wanna do something crazy like that. The 5-speed supposedly can take the abuse/power but you could apparently take the TC-SST to stratospheric levels in terms of power mods and all so that's kind of a bummer. Like do I want the 5-speed coz manuals FTW, or the TC-SST for super crazy power? lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sat in a 600whp Evo X last night.

That shit was super intoxicating and everything I have known was completely absorbed by the passenger seat.

The way the acceleration pushed you to the back of the seat was ridiculous, there's like a 2 second gap from 0 RPM to wherever the turbo kicks and during that 2secs gap it feels like a regular car but the moment the turbo kicks in, it literally just pushes you towards the back of the seat, similar to whiplash.

The one thing I'm sad about that is the fact that I've gotta get the TC-SST if I wanna do something crazy like that. The 5-speed supposedly can take the abuse/power but you could apparently take the TC-SST to stratospheric levels in terms of power mods and all so that's kind of a bummer. Like do I want the 5-speed coz manuals FTW, or the TC-SST for super crazy power? lol.

I could be way off on this but I was of the understanding that the sst is the one that needs to be overhauled if you're looking for major power gains

Top Bottom