• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

FStop7

Banned
What's everyone's thoughts on wheel lock lugs? Just got some OZ Leggera HLTs and would prefer not to be a victim of wheel theft. Ok, maybe I'm being a little paranoid as my car is safe at work and home, but there are those random places I could be out and about where it could happen.

I know that they are far from fool proof, but it's peace of mind, isn't much hassle for me to have them on, and should deter at least some casual thieves. Yay or nay?

You always hear stories of thieves with "universal" lug keys or complete sets of keys, not sure if there's anything to it, though.

matmanx1

Good stuff. I like pretty much anything by BT (A Song Across Wires is probably my favorite).

What do you all think about a G37x?

Maybe a 2011 or 2012 sedan.

My 2 problems with it is that its slightly more expensive than i want to spend but that can be overlooked, and the fact that my friend has the exact same car.

G37's are very good. I owned one for more than two years and enjoyed it. I had the coupe, non X so it was definitely more of a sports car than the sedan in the X trim. I liked the interior a lot, the acceleration and power were great and the exhaust note is excellent.

On the downside they are large'ish and somewhat heavy (less of an issue in the sedan but I really noticed it in the coupe) for not having a lot of usable space for passengers or luggage. Mine was an 08 model so I also only had the 5 speed auto and it was just ok. It needed at least one more gear as it was turning 3k rpm + at interstate speeds.

When the seats started to cause my backside physical pain on longer trips I decided it was time to trade it.

I traded for an 09 BMW 128i with the 6 speed manual and am very happy with it. It's smaller and lighter yet has more usable space while getting better gas mileage, a lower insurance rate and is still every bit a "driver's" car. And the seats are really comfortable!

I just hope the maintenance and repairs don't break my wallet.

Chocobro

Anyone have words of wisdom, experiences, opinions, or other suggestions you could share with me for my post from two days ago? Otherwise I'm planning to go for it and hopefully get it by the end of August or beginning of September.

I'm back with some more questions. A close friend of mine reminded me that his friend, who he has known for a couple of years, is selling his 2011 Evo X GSR with about 60K-ish miles on it for $23K, but I was told I can probably get it down a bit because there was a used 2012 Evo X GSR with 14K miles listed for $28.7K on AutoTrader. He wants to sell the Evo X to buy a WRX. I was also told he should still have it when I move back to NYC this August.

The only mods done to the car are upgraded exhaust and headlights (quad projectors?) and a protective matte black paint job. I've been told he babies the shit out of the car and it seems consistent with one of his IG posts saying "...Nice to see I get 16 mpg even though I drive like a grandpa."

Here are some pictures of the car from his IG but they're from a few months back. I can ask for newer pictures.
https://instagram.com/p/v3g_r4EswC/?taken-by=narutica
https://instagram.com/p/yVEomDksy3/?taken-by=narutica
https://instagram.com/p/ymm1tLEs2U/?taken-by=narutica
https://instagram.com/p/1jRo3oks4S/?taken-by=narutica

So my questions are:
1) What is a list of things I should look for and ask when buying a used performance car?
2) Assuming I go for it, what is the usually and safest way to pay the person?
3) How does the ownership of the car get transferred to me without any "illegal" (?) stuff happening?
4) Should I buy it? I want an Evo X and it sounds like a safe purchase to me and it's relatively affordable. Maybe you guys can find potential problems that I can't see.

EDIT: Is there anything I should know in general since this is potentially my first car purchase? My friend informed me to find a good mechanic I can trust to check the car even if it's expensive (I don't know any) or find a good shop that specializes in Mitsubishi cars.

boltz

Anyone have words of wisdom, experiences, opinions, or other suggestions you could share with me for my post from two days ago? Otherwise I'm planning to go for it and hopefully get it by the end of August or beginning of September.

For car transfer info, best place to check is your state's DMV website. It should tell you step by step how do it.

As for a mechanic, if you can't get a recommendation from someone, look for one on Yelp and call them. Tell him what service you are looking for (inspect an Evo) and ask some basic questions about what to be looking for and get a feel of how they respond.

Same thing with the car owner - try to get a feel if the guy's an honest dude and is being straight with you about stuff he's done to the car. Big thing is to see if he keeps service/maintenance records, which is a good sign of a good car owner.

What's everyone's thoughts on wheel lock lugs? Just got some OZ Leggera HLTs and would prefer not to be a victim of wheel theft. Ok, maybe I'm being a little paranoid as my car is safe at work and home, but there are those random places I could be out and about where it could happen.

I know that they are far from fool proof, but it's peace of mind, isn't much hassle for me to have them on, and should deter at least some casual thieves. Yay or nay?

Nothing is fool proof, but make sure you let your insurance know you have them, it's an added obstacle for any thief, could save you a few bucks on insurance.

Oxn

Oh, I'll test drive for sure.

Actually I just submitted an offer online just to see what their response will be. the listed price is just under 23K, but I put in for 21K.

If they say yes, I will schedule a test drive with them.

Haha they graciously denied my offer

After months of waiting I finally have a delivery date for my EU mustang: August 20th. Starting to count the days

Too bad my dealer forgot to inform all mustang buyers that there was a presentation event of the car at the dealerships a few days ago...

Wow, Audi finally reached the point where their cars went from "cool, modern & aggresive" to just ugly
Audi-A4-1200x800-4906b4ec0d8f0dd2.jpg

Looks like the A6. The A7/S7/RS7 and A5/S5/RS5 are still God Tier though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Looks like the A6. The A7/S7/RS7 and A5/S5/RS5 are still God Tier though.

It's an A4. It's a Photoshop of a camouflaged car that was caught testing a few weeks ago.

The A6 just got its facelift. Also the license plate says A4. ;)

ApharmdX

Banned

Are you dead set on the Evo X? You can get a brand new WRX for not much more, and you may be able to get lower interest rate on a new car, or there might be promos (haven't looked). That gets you about double the gas mileage, a FAR better interior, better reliability, and less turbo lag. You lose out on a bit of performance.

I cross-shopped the Evo X against the 2015 STI thinking that I'd trade up my 2013 WRX for one of those. The used Evo's that I've seen, hell the used WRX/STI's, were all pretty thrashed. These cars are driven hard, generally. My WRX is no exception, got it new two years ago, and I have beat on it. Buying a used one would give me pause.

Chocobro

For car transfer info, best place to check is your state's DMV website. It should tell you step by step how do it.

As for a mechanic, if you can't get a recommendation from someone, look for one on Yelp and call them. Tell him what service you are looking for (inspect an Evo) and ask some basic questions about what to be looking for and get a feel of how they respond.

Same thing with the car owner - try to get a feel if the guy's an honest dude and is being straight with you about stuff he's done to the car. Big thing is to see if he keeps service/maintenance records, which is a good sign of a good car owner.
Thanks for the info.
Are you dead set on the Evo X? You can get a brand new WRX for not much more, and you may be able to get lower interest rate on a new car, or there might be promos (haven't looked). That gets you about double the gas mileage, a FAR better interior, better reliability, and less turbo lag. You lose out on a bit of performance.

I cross-shopped the Evo X against the 2015 STI thinking that I'd trade up my 2013 WRX for one of those. The used Evo's that I've seen, hell the used WRX/STI's, were all pretty thrashed. These cars are driven hard, generally. My WRX is no exception, got it new two years ago, and I have beat on it. Buying a used one would give me pause.

No, not necessarily dead set. It was between a Evo X or WRX/STI, with my bias being towards the Evo X because of the look, as silly as it sounds lol. But after looking at the prices of new WRXs and discussing it with my friend and mom, seems like a WRX is the way to go. Thanks!
Did you end up trading in your WRX? Just curious.

Oxn

Something Ive been wondering for a while.

With the existence of Focus RS, Civic Type R, and Golf R, why hasnt Toyota done something like that with the Corolla?

ApharmdX

Banned
No, not necessarily dead set. It was between a Evo X or WRX/STI, with my bias being towards the Evo X because of the look, as silly as it sounds lol. But after looking at the prices of new WRXs and discussing it with my friend and mom, seems like a WRX is the way to go. Thanks!
Did you end up trading in your WRX? Just curious.

I didn't. My wife freaked because the interior of the Evo X was so bad. $32-45k on a car with that kind of interior caused her to throw a fit. I tried to explain that it's a performance car based on an economy car platform but that subtlety was lost, lol. So I still have my WRX for now. It's probably best because an STI/Evo X would be a stretch at the moment, especially an MR. Next year I'll take a look at the STI again.

The Evo X definitely looks more aggressive. I think it's an awesome look for that segment compared to the competition (STI/Golf R/Focus ST and RS). Still get jealous when I see a nice Evo X... oh well :\

BTW, do you play FFXI?

Chocobro

I didn't. My wife freaked because the interior of the Evo X was so bad. $32-45k on a car with that kind of interior caused her to throw a fit. I tried to explain that it's a performance car based on an economy car platform but that subtlety was lost, lol. So I still have my WRX for now. It's probably best because an STI/Evo X would be a stretch at the moment, especially an MR. Next year I'll take a look at the STI again.

The Evo X definitely looks more aggressive. I think it's an awesome look for that segment compared to the competition (STI/Golf R/Focus ST and RS). Still get jealous when I see a nice Evo X... oh well :\

BTW, do you play FFXI?

Ah I see. That's understandable. And yeah the STI/Evo X MR is quite a bit more expensive than a WRX. Is there a specific trim you chose for your WRX?

I don't play FFXI. I'll be honest, I never played a main FF game, and probably never will because I don't have a whole lot of time to dedicate to gaming.

Bandit1

After months of waiting I finally have a delivery date for my EU mustang: August 20th. Starting to count the days

Too bad my dealer forgot to inform all mustang buyers that there was a presentation event of the car at the dealerships a few days ago...

Ahh sounds like it's going to be a long wait.

Thought I would share my brother and my car together.

ZqblvNh.jpg

ID3F9Dj.jpg

8lhtaUp.jpg

Both look great, which is faster? :p

robox

Something Ive been wondering for a while.

With the existence of Focus RS, Civic Type R, and Golf R, why hasnt Toyota done something like that with the Corolla?

because the corolla sucks, the tc sucks, and there's no more celica

boltz

Nothing is fool proof, but make sure you let your insurance know you have them, it's an added obstacle for any thief, could save you a few bucks on insurance.

Yeah, I'll have to see how my insurance company handles coverage of mods.

You always hear stories of thieves with "universal" lug keys or complete sets of keys, not sure if there's anything to it, though.

Yup, researching this topic, there's a lot of ways for thieves to get around wheel locks. I doubt anything would stop a pro, it's the opportunists that I'm afraid of.

because the corolla sucks, the tc sucks, and there's no more celica

Wasn't there a hotter variant of the Corolla a few years back? The XRS or something?

Oxn

Haha they graciously denied my offer

Ha after i didnt respond to their email they sent a second one asking "well you didnt give us the full details on your offer, will you be paying cash or financing"

I think i got them on hook at the moment. Do dealers usually want you to finance?

While test driving a few EVO X's (MR's and GSR's) I couldn't get over how cheap the interior was. I've sat in nicer Corolla's. I see why it's like that as it's a track car that you can drive on the street. The steering is sharp, and I love the stock Recaro's.

Ha after i didnt respond to their email they sent a second one asking "well you didnt give us the full details on your offer, will you be paying cash or financing"

I think i got them on hook at the moment. Do dealers usually want you to finance?

Dealers prefer if you finance as they can make points on the back end of the deal.

Yeah, they prefer you to finance. It makes them more money.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ah I see. That's understandable. And yeah the STI/Evo X MR is quite a bit more expensive than a WRX. Is there a specific trim you chose for your WRX?

the evo is a looker, drives better, and will stand out. The wrx is common. When you are spending that kind of money, get what you really want. Test drive all 3 and decide. If you're still unsure, sleep on it.

The white Ford Explorer in the back of the first picture.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. lol

That's an early 2000's GMChevy YuTaBurban though. :p

Wasn't there a hotter variant of the Corolla a few years back? The XRS or something?

Yep. The XRS used the Scion tC engine IIRC so yeah, the Scion tC was basically a Corolla XRS Coupe. Similar to how the Solara used to be the convertible/coupe of the Camry series.

And AFAIK, the XRS is dead now. Which is sad as they were unicorn cars as well... I've only seen one in the wild and never at the dealership when I still had my Corolla a few years back.

ameratsu

^ 05-06 XRSes weren't really that good. They used the 2zz engine from the Celica GT-S but changed the VVTi cutover point to be way higher than the GT-S, basically crippling the engine. There was also the Matrix XRS that's the same thing in wagon form.

Perhaps the later XRS was better? Not sure

Ahh sounds like it's going to be a long wait.

Both look great, which is faster? :p

My Brother, the white one.

He chipped it, straight pipe Nvidia exhaust, and headers. Its much more consistent on the shifts, there is no torque dip, and it is quicker. Plus hes got 245 on the car now, so it handles better too.

ApharmdX

Banned
While test driving a few EVO X's (MR's and GSR's) I couldn't get over how cheap the interior was. I've sat in nicer Corolla's. I see why it's like that as it's a track car that you can drive on the street. The steering is sharp, and I love the stock Recaro's.

Yeah, what a car to drive, but the MR is $45k loaded. At that price, with that interior, wow.

I don't play FFXI. I'll be honest, I never played a main FF game, and probably never will because I don't have a whole lot of time to dedicate to gaming.

I got the bare bones WRX, no options. I got a great deal on it, under dealer invoice IIRC. I don't care about creature comforts.

I asked about FFXI because I've got a linkshell mate who has your same name, lol.

there is no torque dip

Worth the price of admission right there. Three years in and I can't believe they still ship cars with this.

^ 05-06 XRSes weren't really that good. They used the 2zz engine from the Celica GT-S but changed the VVTi cutover point to be way higher than the GT-S, basically crippling the engine. There was also the Matrix XRS that's the same thing in wagon form.

Not sure about later ones, but my '03 Matrix XRS kicked in at 6200, about when the Celica did (6000). Also, the 2003 Matrix was the only Matrix rated at 180hp; it was dropped twice (once due to recalibration and again due to SAE changes.

Chocobro

I got the bare bones WRX, no options. I got a great deal on it, under dealer invoice IIRC. I don't care about creature comforts.

I asked about FFXI because I've got a linkshell mate who has your same name, lol.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

Ohhh, what a coincidence it would be if I was that person lol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My Brother, the white one.

He chipped it, straight pipe Nvidia exhaust, and headers. Its much more consistent on the shifts, there is no torque dip, and it is quicker. Plus hes got 345 on the car now, so it handles better too.

I've said it before many times, ECUs do wonders to these cars, especially with E85 tunes and headers.

But...wtf does he need 345s in the rear for??? It's not a Viper or Pagani. :|

kharma45

omg where have u been

Work work work.

Plus the quality of discussion on GAF in general has been somewhat lacking of late. All I ever see are racism and sexism threads. I can't take all the faux outrage over the smallest things. I still lurk in good threads, like this.

I've said it before many times, ECUs do wonders to these cars, especially with E85 tunes and headers.

I meant 245. Im sorry for the typo. ECU flash changed everything about the shift in this car.

So I test drove a Silverado yesterday.

My god it was awful, mushy suspension, mushy brakes, huge blind spots.

It did have plenty of torque.

Are all american trucks this bad?

ameratsu

Worth the price of admission right there. Three years in and I can't believe they still ship cars with this.

Not sure about later ones, but my '03 Matrix XRS kicked in at 6200, about when the Celica did (6000). Also, the 2003 Matrix was the only Matrix rated at 180hp; it was dropped twice (once due to recalibration and again due to SAE changes.

Early XRSes like yours changed at 6100, later ones around 6600. Celicas at 6000 like you said. That's a huge difference.

Rad Agast

So true. While it's no Cayman, a cattless header and a good tune make the twins more enjoyable.

I don't know about those tyres though. Seems like you'd lose performance without FI to utilize them.

mkenyon

Banned
I like the idea of a Supercharger kit on the BRZ. Super reliable, maintains a linear power band, and gives it a 911 power:weight.

Top Bottom