• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I picked up the Huracan with my brother on Wednesday. It's criminally awesome and downright mental how it goes and sounds.

I could be way off on this but I was of the understanding that the sst is the one that needs to be overhauled if you're looking for major power gains

Nah, IIRC he said all you need is a upgraded clutch pack or something like that to handle the power. And it's something you're gonna have to upgrade anyway as the stock TC-SST can only handle up to 350hp.

Xdye7

replying a little late to some of these posts but whatever

Of course rumors are gonna be taken with a grain of salt, but you probably should educate yourself on how shittily run Mitsubishi is these days. They already killed off the Evo, in favor of a penalty boxes or hybrids, economy cars, and more hybrids. As old as it is, there was no reason to kill off the Evo barring low sales numbers, and that's exactly what's happened here.

I flat out stated this in my original reply lol

I've already talked about this months ago, poor marketing and Mitsubishi's tomfoolery(leading to a unicorn status) killed off the Evo. It already had a solid motor and more decently built interior to fight the STi but not many people knew it existed and thought it was only a Gran Turismo car. Like if you knew the Evo X existed, then you knew, otherwise, it only existed in a video game.

I don't know about "unicorn status", definitely not true where I live, in the UK/europe, or Japan, but everything else you listed is not why it was killed off. The evo is completely out of place in mitsubishi's line up of cars and they got rid of it because they wanted to. Low sales, as you claimed, are also a fantastic reason for discontinuation. It's not exactly a car that mitsu makes profit to begin with.

As far as marketing and general knowledge of its existence goes, you're very wrong IMO. The evolution line has quite the history. No one goes car shopping and just "ends up" in an evo. People who buy the car know about it. Car enthusiasts know about it. Cops know about it. It has endless coverage in automotive media. I could go on forever.

I'll admit I'm wrong about the aftermarket though. I shot Cobb Tuning a question last night about this and they said that the aftermarket is alive and kicking for the moment. It could possibly lose it's steam in the future but there's already a plethora of existing parts and blueprints so it should be good in the long run.

Cobb is the last place I would look for something specific to the evo. However, they gave you the correct response in this case, although they would have to be pretty ignorant in order to mess this one up.

Also you might wanna take a look at your claim about being required to make parts after it's dead: http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...der-us-federal-law-to-provide-parts-for-a-set This is the best thing I could find about that law you mentioned, and a link to a Snopes message board discussing the same thing.

Search harder. Regardless, it's not something to be worried about concerning the evo.

Man if Mitsu kills off the evo parts, that makes the decision to get rid of my 9 MR that much easier.

Pretty sure they're not manufacturing parts for the past generations anymore... aftermarket has you covered

Is there any truth to those rumors about Mitsubishi killing off parts?

Like I said before, when I asked Cobb Tuning about it, they said we'll all be fine as the aftermarket can deal with it. And while I have no problem about that, it does make me a little concerned myself about owning one in the future.

Especially since I'm buying it next year, where there may not be any new cars sitting on lots.

Where are you reading/hearing these rumors btw?

IMO that's no reason to be worried, the car doesn't just eat up parts

cant speak to that, but the post above knocking the rumors down seemed pretty reasonable to me.

the car is absolutely mental though. i adore mine.

+1 ;)

But the major appeal to me, besides the tuning possibilities, is that it's pretty much a unicorn car so to speak. You rarely see Evo's here in DFW, lots of modded Lancer's that want to look like an Evo, but certainly not as fast lol. On the other hand, I am gonna miss that pure RWD experience if I do get an Evo so it's still up in the air.

Again, not sure about this unicorn car thing. Shouldn't be what's causing major appeal towards the car. Have you driven one? The X handles like no other, I doubt you'll be missing anything.

You're right about not seeing many out in the wild (in General). It was a chore to get a test drive for one in my city. And from what I've seen in the Canadian used market, they also hold their value quite well.

I used to live in Canada, this was definitely true. I would see STI's nearly every day, usually the then-new hatchbacks too. Plus the countless wrx's and regular imprezas. Older sti's were fairly common as well, not to mention the imported JDM subies.

Well... I picked up a new daily...

*STI GRILL PIC BREH*

Nice! I always really liked the STI emblem on the grill. Plasma blue silica (I think that was the name) paint right? Could be black or grey though lol, hard to tell. I believe you mentioned something about getting used to the colour

Sat in a 600whp Evo X last night.

The way the acceleration pushed you to the back of the seat was ridiculous, there's like a 2 second gap from 0 RPM to wherever the turbo kicks and during that 2secs gap it feels like a regular car but the moment the turbo kicks in, it literally just pushes you towards the back of the seat, similar to whiplash.

If this was your first time in an evo, this is what bone stock feels like lol

Also if this was a DCT evo, and the owner gave you the info in your next post, he's full of shit and pulled 600whp out of his ass (or the Cobb accessport dyno LOL). There are only a handful of builds like this and I seriously doubt the owners are just handing out rides.

The one thing I'm sad about that is the fact that I've gotta get the TC-SST if I wanna do something crazy like that. The 5-speed supposedly can take the abuse/power but you could apparently take the TC-SST to stratospheric levels in terms of power mods and all so that's kind of a bummer. Like do I want the 5-speed coz manuals FTW, or the TC-SST for super crazy power? lol.

The SST is not what you want if you're looking for huge power. In terms of power if you plan to do anything more than some basic bolt ons and a tune of course, the GSR is the better option.

I could be way off on this but I was of the understanding that the sst is the one that needs to be overhauled if you're looking for major power gains

Correct. The SST alone needs a lot of expensive parts and labor to hold serious power, and even then it won't be able to do so reliably. It's also pretty much limited to 480 lb-ft because after that the trans casing starts to flex.

Nah, IIRC he said all you need is a upgraded clutch pack or something like that to handle the power. And it's something you're gonna have to upgrade anyway as the stock TC-SST can only handle up to 350hp.

Again, none of this is true. Don't spread misinformation with such confidence.

If you're serious about getting an X, start reading up about it on forums and whatnot. Tons of good info to be found with a little digging.

---

Damn this post is way longer than I thought it would be.

One last thing, regarding the FWD discussion: I'm surprised no one mentioned it has less parasitic drivetrain loss when compared to an AWD counterpart. It's why cars like the ms3 smoke AWD cars making similar power at the crank on straight line highway pulls

One last thing, regarding the FWD discussion: I'm surprised no one mentioned it has less parasitic drivetrain loss when compared to an AWD counterpart. It's why cars like the ms3 smoke AWD cars making similar power at the crank on straight line highway pulls

Not just that, but FWD cars can be great for rallying, as you can use your left foot for braking, get a similar result as a handbrake, yet continue spinning the front wheels. Hence why the Mini and other small hatches were so good back in the day.

Check this magic out
https://youtu.be/asKuYgAcyIk

Wow, Audi finally reached the point where their cars went from "cool, modern & aggresive" to just ugly
Audi-A4-1200x800-4906b4ec0d8f0dd2.jpg

Evo X

I picked up the Huracan with my brother on Wednesday. It's criminally awesome and downright mental how it goes and sounds.

Sweet. Did you drive it or just chill in the passenger seat? How is he breaking it in, easy or hard?

If you can get some alone time with the car for some spirited runs, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it, especially if you have experience with the 458 and Gallardo.

My brother is thinking about ordering a 488, but there is a 1.5 year wait on those.

Chocobro

I'm back with some more questions. A close friend of mine reminded me that his friend, who he has known for a couple of years, is selling his 2011 Evo X GSR with about 60K-ish miles on it for $23K, but I was told I can probably get it down a bit because there was a used 2012 Evo X GSR with 14K miles listed for $28.7K on AutoTrader. He wants to sell the Evo X to buy a WRX. I was also told he should still have it when I move back to NYC this August.

The only mods done to the car are upgraded exhaust and headlights (quad projectors?) and a protective matte black paint job. I've been told he babies the shit out of the car and it seems consistent with one of his IG posts saying "...Nice to see I get 16 mpg even though I drive like a grandpa."

Here are some pictures of the car from his IG but they're from a few months back. I can ask for newer pictures.
https://instagram.com/p/v3g_r4EswC/?taken-by=narutica
https://instagram.com/p/yVEomDksy3/?taken-by=narutica
https://instagram.com/p/ymm1tLEs2U/?taken-by=narutica
https://instagram.com/p/1jRo3oks4S/?taken-by=narutica

So my questions are:
1) What is a list of things I should look for and ask when buying a used performance car?
2) Assuming I go for it, what is the usually and safest way to pay the person?
3) How does the ownership of the car get transferred to me without any "illegal" (?) stuff happening?
4) Should I buy it? I want an Evo X and it sounds like a safe purchase to me and it's relatively affordable. Maybe you guys can find potential problems that I can't see.

EDIT: Is there anything I should know in general since this is potentially my first car purchase? My friend informed me to find a good mechanic I can trust to check the car even if it's expensive (I don't know any) or find a good shop that specializes in Mitsubishi cars.

This isn't really on point. If you're in a situation where you need traction on snow, no car will be able to produce significant weight shift to unload the fronts. Both equipped with snow tires, there's no comparison between FWD and RWD in the snow. RWD w/ snow vs. FWD w/ all-seasons you have a point, but otherwise no.

You can also change the direction of force from the wheels with a FWD to control a slide, doesn't work in RWD. Ever drive a RWD on a steeply crowned road in the snow, then lose grip? The rear end drifts into the ditch and there's really not much you can do until you recover grip. In a FWD you can pull the car back on track.

LOL you're a funny guy. Man I was gonna chew for this but like why bother. You've got driving in the snow all figured out. Control the slide huh? I've heard some half-baked driving theories but this one WOW.

Super long post lol

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was wrong information being shared that night. It was just a bunch of dudebros talking shit about each other cars and whatnot.

I only went since two friends were interested in settling a bet the right way at a drag strip. The Evo X I went with is a friend of one of the two and I've never really met him until that night so who knows what else wrong thing he told me.

The rumors I heard came from the same source, my friend who's buddies with that Evo X guy. But again, I don't know if he's full of shit or not and honestly I'm a year out from buying one so I kinda don't care yet lol.

Anyway, I'm sure most of y'all are tired of hearing me talk about something I'll buy next year so consider it done lol. I'm actually tired of reading up on it as well as I feel all this research is just gonna get thrown out the window once I sit in the new Miata in a few weeks so yeah lol.

LOL you're a funny guy. Man I was gonna chew for this but like why bother. You've got driving in the snow all figured out. Control the slide huh? I've heard some half-baked driving theories but this one WOW.

Huh? I guess I wasn't clear. I said you can point the direction of force with a FWD whereas you can't with RWD, and then gave an example where that would be helpful. Is there a point you want to make?

lem0n

Welp, got my first taste of real horsepower and speed today. A friend of mine let me drive his CLS55 AMG by myself, and he told me to floor it away because he's never heard it outside of the car. I about shit myself. What an amazing car! Keep in mind I daily an NA Miata, and my friends all drive similar types of cars. Nothing fast in a straight line, at all. In fact, I think the fastest car I've ever driven up until now was a WRX. I know, I know. Pathetic. Anyways, I'm now in love with AMG Mercs. I need to own one.

Jackson

Took pics from meeting up with some friends

11650710_10153348167123758_751733080_n.jpg

11334302_10153348167363758_1166721032_n.jpg

Cars look hawt. Choice of scenery looks like a movie version of a drug buy. lol :( MEET US AT TEH WAREHOUSE DISTRICT IN THE BACK!

I keed..... :p

My brother is thinking about ordering a 488, but there is a 1.5 year wait on those.

That'll go down significantly once allocations start happening. I'd say it's about 8 months after they start shipping them before you can walk into a dealer and easily pick one up. In the fall/winter Huracans were jacked up way past MSRP due to allocations, but now we're less than a year into Huracan allocations and there's like 3 sitting at my dealer down the street that you could pick up today (if you had the cash).

rokkerkory

Cars look hawt. Choice of scenery looks like a movie version of a drug buy. lol :( MEET US AT TEH WAREHOUSE DISTRICT IN THE BACK!

I keed..... :p

That'll go down significantly once allocations start happening. I'd say it's about 8 months after they start shipping them before you can walk into a dealer and easily pick one up. In the fall/winter Huracans were jacked up way past MSRP due to allocations, but now we're less than a year into Huracan allocations and there's like 3 sitting at my dealer down the street that you could pick up today (if you had the cash).

Haha parking lot was pretty sketch! Glad we were only ones there however.

Oxn

My dealer has a 2015 WRX limited in the color that I wanted and all the options (dont need navigation). On the site it list the price as 32k. Do you think I can get them to sell me for 29k?

If so, I got some serious considering to do.

It is the last WRX on the lot.

Oxn

Very quick question. Can you pay the down payment of a car with a Credit card?

Some people have told me no, but Im not sure.

Cause if I need to pay down payment with money, then it'll take a while to transfer from savings account.

My dealer has a 2015 WRX limited in the color that I wanted and all the options (dont need navigation). On the site it list the price as 32k. Do you think I can get them to sell me for 29k?

If so, I got some serious considering to do.

It is the last WRX on the lot.

Is it an Automatic Limited Trim? Really doubt it. Subaru Dealer margins are not that high and their Inventory Period is very low, so dealers don't negotiate much. $31k would be my guess.

Very quick question. Can you pay the down payment of a car with a Credit card?

Some people have told me no, but Im not sure.

Cause if I need to pay down payment with money, then it'll take a while to transfer from savings account.

Most dealers would be willing to take a $1k-$2k initial hold from your CC but not more. They should be willing to then wait for a couple of days days while you arrange the rest of the down payment. (Which will most probably have to be a cash or a cashier's cheque.)

Oxn

Is it an Automatic Limited Trim? Really doubt it. Subaru Dealer margins are not that high and their Inventory Period is very low, so dealers don't negotiate much. $31k would be my guess.

Most dealers would be willing to take a $1k-$2k initial hold from your CC but not more. They should be willing to then wait for a couple of days days while you arrange the rest of the down payment. (Which will most probably have to be a cash or a cashier's cheque.)

Yup automatic limited trim. I am only suggesting 29K because Im also trying to account for tax and other fees, which is gonna bring me back to almost 32k anyways.

Also because the 2016 models are pretty much out already, and most people are going to try and get that.

Yup automatic limited trim. I am only suggesting 29K because Im also trying to account for tax and other fees, which is gonna bring me back to almost 32k anyways.

Also because the 2016 models are pretty much out already, and most people are going to try and get that.

TTL is on top of base price and the dealers can't really negotiate on that. Sure, they can tack on some crazy stuff that you will have to be careful about.

The MY16 for the WRX doesn't have many changes. I would be surprised if that dealership still has the car in stock come Monday. There are usually waiting lists on most Subaru's.

TTL is on top of base price and the dealers can't really negotiate on that. Sure, they can tack on some crazy stuff that you will have to be careful about.

The MY16 for the WRX doesn't have many changes. I would be surprised if that dealership still has the car in stock come Monday. There are usually waiting lists on most Subaru's.
Yup, Subaru's are pretty popular.

The only time I see huge incentives in the thousands of dollars are on very pocular vehicles like pickup trucks.

Oxn

Nah itll be there monday. The internet sales person is pretty much emailing me every other day asking if im ready to purchase lol, after my first inquiry.

I heard the 2016 has a new nav system, and different wheels, and i think one other minor change.

But like i said, i really shouldnt be spending that much on acar for someone that doesnt drive much. So its a good thing if they dont lower it for me. But it just makes me wonder you know.

Im pretty much gonna stalk that page until its gone.

Jackson

Nah itll be there monday. The internet sales person is pretty much emailing me every other day asking if im ready to purchase lol, after my first inquiry.

I heard the 2016 has a new nav system, and different wheels, and i think one other minor change.

But like i said, i really shouldnt be spending that much on acar for someone that doesnt drive much. So its a good thing if they dont lower it for me. But it just makes me wonder you know.

Im pretty much gonna stalk that page until its gone.

Get a used WRX if you want to not pay a lot but get the same experience? Heck upgrade to an STI if you go back far enough. :)

Evo X

It was perfect weather tonight. Hit up some local twisties with a few buddies. I'm still amazed at the capabilities of this car.

ErFulvj.jpg

matmanx1

Not just that, but FWD cars can be great for rallying, as you can use your left foot for braking, get a similar result as a handbrake, yet continue spinning the front wheels. Hence why the Mini and other small hatches were so good back in the day.

Check this magic out
https://youtu.be/asKuYgAcyIk

Magic indeed! Rally racing has to be the most interesting type of race to actually watch. Especially if it's edited well, like this clip is. Epic stuff.

Welp, got my first taste of real horsepower and speed today. A friend of mine let me drive his CLS55 AMG by myself, and he told me to floor it away because he's never heard it outside of the car. I about shit myself. What an amazing car! Keep in mind I daily an NA Miata, and my friends all drive similar types of cars. Nothing fast in a straight line, at all. In fact, I think the fastest car I've ever driven up until now was a WRX. I know, I know. Pathetic. Anyways, I'm now in love with AMG Mercs. I need to own one.

I got to test drive an AMG Merc at a "tech drive" they were putting on at the Las Vegas Hilton back in the day. Absolutely awesome in a straight line. The combination of luxury, power and looks is thrilling and I'll count myself as very blessed if I ever have the means to own one.

It was perfect weather tonight. Hit up some local twisties with a few buddies. I'm still amazed at the capabilities of this car.

ErFulvj.jpg

Nice! Your car wins but the guy in the (Is that an Atom? or something else?) gets a close second.

rokkerkory

ErFulvj.jpg

That's a pretty mean line up there! Love it, except for the P car a little too much to the right.

Sorry I am anal like that. :p

Antagon

Does anyone here have any experience with the new Clio (Estate)? I'm looking for a new(ish) car that's relatively cheap and lightweight while having a decent boot and I'm really fond of the styling of this. Reviews are generally positive as well, but for some reason there are already a lot for sale second hand where I live. So I'm wondering if there are problems with the cars that I don't know about.

What does everyone listen to when they drive? besides the engine and exhaust of course!

Nothing. :(

My driver's side speakers went kaput last week and it's seriously distracting to listen from only one channel so I just enjoy my exhaust.

I'm definitely thinking about swapping them out next month though, I'm probably gonna go cheap and have some JVC's or Kicker's in there. I'd love to install those Infinity Reference speakers but it's too expensive and I honestly don't really care about audio quality in a car even though I'm an audiophile lol.
Maybe the plan of selling my Miata is influencing this choice lol.

That said, I listen to about everything though. If my windows/top are down, I usually tune in to sports radio or play some pop tunes and maybe some alt rock. Windows up, everything's fair game, K-Pop, jazz, Eurobeat, jazz-hop, classic rock, power ballads... the list goes on and on lol.

I listen to just about everything. Rock, pop, hip hop, most stuff except for metal and country.
I have no playlists, I just play my music library on shuffle.

I used to live in Canada, this was definitely true. I would see STI's nearly every day, usually the then-new hatchbacks too. Plus the countless wrx's and regular imprezas. Older sti's were fairly common as well, not to mention the imported JDM subies.

Very cool! Yeah, I love our 15 year import rule. We get to see a ton of interesting cars, that were never sold in our market.

The amount of STI's I've seen have gone down over the years. There's more WRX's running around though.

Nice! I always really liked the STI emblem on the grill. Plasma blue silica (I think that was the name) paint right? Could be black or grey though lol, hard to tell. I believe you mentioned something about getting used to the colour

Thanks my man! The colour is actually Dark Metallic Grey. I wasn't sold on the colour, but I'm coming around. I just need to decide on rims (and colours) now...

Oxn

What do you all think about a G37x?

Maybe a 2011 or 2012 sedan.

My 2 problems with it is that its slightly more expensive than i want to spend but that can be overlooked, and the fact that my friend has the exact same car.

mkenyon

Banned

My 2 problems with it is that its slightly more expensive than i want to spend but that can be overlooked, and the fact that my friend has the exact same car.
I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove my EX35. Dat interior.

I'm not familiar with when they added the 7 speed to the Sedans, but definitely get one of those. It's an amazing transmission.

It's so quiet and comfortable on long trips. Has handled snow like a boss. Been 100% pain free reliability-wise. The Bose system is incredible. The infotainment stack is insanely easy to use. I literally love everything about my car as a daily driver with some pep.

*edit*

Also, I'm an ex-Subaru guy. I really do feel like it's a grown up's WRX in a lot of ways.

rokkerkory

I think you can get the smaller V6 2.5 liter that is cheaper? It's a good car.

Oxn

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove my EX35. Dat interior.

I'm not familiar with when they added the 7 speed to the Sedans, but definitely get one of those. It's an amazing transmission.

It's so quiet and comfortable on long trips. Has handled snow like a boss. Been 100% pain free reliability-wise. The Bose system is incredible. The infotainment stack is insanely easy to use. I literally love everything about my car as a daily driver with some pep.

*edit*

Also, I'm an ex-Subaru guy. I really do feel like it's a grown up's WRX in a lot of ways.

Stylistically, the FX35 is my favorite SUV. So yea I agree. Also how does it remind you of a grown up WRX? because WRX is actually my dream affordable car, so Im interested in why you say that.

I think you can get the smaller V6 2.5 liter that is cheaper? It's a good car.

I also looked at the G25. It barely cheaper in the used market. And a huge drop in horsepower. Had it been slightly smaller, because i want a smaller car I would overlook that, but it uses the exact same frame.

I drove my friends G35 back then, and it doesnt feel like a sports car because it felt so smooth to me. Really depends on what Im looking for I guess.

Then Hurricane Sandy destroyed his car, and he upgraded to the G37x. At that time I warned him do not get that car cause I will most likely get it myself. And now here we are.

Its definitely a top contender for what I will get for sure. Cause its a really good value for what they offer. And I think you guys just may have talked me into it.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm in the EX35, which is essentially a hatchback G35.

It's not a large car, has a lot of the benefits of a WRX (hatchback). It's a lot more livable, in terms of road noise and comfort. The leather everywhere and interior design makes you feel like you're in a car that is double the cost. Absolutely slays the competition in that department, IMO.

It's still great in the corners, has nice and heavy steering feel. It accelerates well, but since it's a NA engine, it's a lot more usable and linear. I mean, the WRX is often called the "Poor man's 3 series", and the G37 could easily be called the "Budget-minded man's 3 series".

Just go give one a test drive, see what you think.

Oxn

I'm in the EX35, which is essentially a hatchback G35.

It's not a large car, has a lot of the benefits of a WRX (hatchback). It's a lot more livable, in terms of road noise and comfort. The leather everywhere and interior design makes you feel like you're in a car that is double the cost. Absolutely slays the competition in that department, IMO.

It's still great in the corners, has nice and heavy steering feel. It accelerates well, but since it's a NA engine, it's a lot more usable and linear. I mean, the WRX is often called the "Poor man's 3 series", and the G37 could easily be called the "Budget-minded man's 3 series".

Just go give one a test drive, see what you think.

Oh, I'll test drive for sure.

Actually I just submitted an offer online just to see what their response will be. the listed price is just under 23K, but I put in for 21K.

If they say yes, I will schedule a test drive with them.

Chiester

What does everyone listen to when they drive? besides the engine and exhaust of course!

Eurobeat when in try hard mode. Used to put it on every other day when I had my 86. Other than that I just listen to the hits radio station and put on edm when I get tired of that.

boltz

What's everyone's thoughts on wheel lock lugs? Just got some OZ Leggera HLTs and would prefer not to be a victim of wheel theft. Ok, maybe I'm being a little paranoid as my car is safe at work and home, but there are those random places I could be out and about where it could happen.

I know that they are far from fool proof, but it's peace of mind, isn't much hassle for me to have them on, and should deter at least some casual thieves. Yay or nay?

Top Bottom