• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Oxn

New Super Sedan:

CIR1TQ2UwAA8ikv.jpg:large

510HP TTV6.

That looks so freaking good. I think this just topped my list for best looking mid size sedan. Got the Jaguar look going.

Edit: Oh man those wheels.

Ok Im buying one.

TylerD

Looks like Jag-U-R has a winner with the new XE S against the 335i M-Sport atleast...

Lieberman from MT loved it compared to the Bimmer in the Head 2 Head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3YFTFLmcfk

I may go gently used base WRX with a manual for my next vehicle. I have a Boston Terrier puppy now and have a propensity for going to the mountains so I probably should have a Subaru. Or maybe a Forester... or CX5 AWD or CX3 or something with AWD.

Or I could just get winter wheels and tires for my e46 and get a ski rack... choices!

mkenyon

Banned
Looks like Jag-U-R has a winner with the new XE S against the 335i M-Sport atleast...

I may go gently used base WRX with a manual for my next vehicle. I have a Boston Terrier puppy now and have a propensity for going to the mountains so I probably should have a Subaru. Or maybe a Forester... or CX5 AWD or CX3 or something with AWD.

Or I could just get winter wheels and tires for my e46 and get a ski rack... choices!
Better get it a sweater, they fucking hate the cold.

Bandit1

That looks really, really good.

I like the idea of a Supercharger kit on the BRZ. Super reliable, maintains a linear power band, and gives it a 911 power:weight.

5_06_39_04_3580000_P1_10708498_10152397922531283_3276160169615833987_o.jpg

Cosworth makes a BRZ supercharger.

I like seeing superchargers on cars you would normally expect to go turbo. That Cosworth supercharger looks great under the hood.

Man you all making me want one of these cars.

Rad Agast

5_06_39_04_3580000_P1_10708498_10152397922531283_3276160169615833987_o.jpg

Cosworth makes a BRZ supercharger.

While it looks clean and all. The performance is not worth the money you'll be spending to get that. You're better off getting a Jackson Racing or Vortech. I'm eyeing the Vortech V2 tuner kit myself. If I go FI, it will be this winter.

That Alpha looks good, reminds me of a BMW.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I meant 245. Im sorry for the typo. ECU flash changed everything about the shift in this car.

Ahhh, okay. I was hoping it was a typo. He should dyno the car. It probably makes over 200WHP now, should easily be a high 13s/low 14s car.

I've said this before too, Jaguar is absolutely crushing the competition. They've raised the performance metric with this car considerably. They've made enough noise to get BMW's attention to the point where they've designed an updated engine (N55>B58) and re-calibrated the 335i into the 340i, as a result, with more power and some mild chassis and minor interior refinement tweaks.

2016 Chevy Cruze details
Autoblog said:
Chevrolet revealed the second-generation Cruze Wednesday, promising a larger, more efficient car that drives better than the sedan it replaces.

We're particularly excited about the new turbocharged, 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine, which makes 153 horsepower, an upgrade from the outgoing 1.8-liter naturally aspirated engine's 138 hp. Torque climbs even more significantly, from 148 pound-feet to 177 in the new mill. Peak twist can be called up between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm, which should make performance easy to access. Combined with a lighter architecture that slashes the Cruze's curb weight by 250 pounds (although the actual curb weight hasn't been released), the new four-door can hit 60 miles per hour in a respectable eight seconds. That's not hot hatchback territory, but it should be more than suitable for the average consumer.

That same consumer should also appreciate the new engine's economy. The Cruze now returns an even 40 miles per gallon on the highway and will cover 530 miles on a single tank, all the while running on plain old 87-octane fuel. There's also a diesel-powered Cruze model, although Chevy didn't release specific details, aside from saying that it will arrive in dealers in 2017, over a year after the gas-powered model's early 2016 on-sale date.

Despite the 250-pound drop in weight, the new Cruze has grown significantly. Its wheelbase is now the longest in the segment, with 106.3 inches of sheetmetal between the front and rear axles compared to 105.7 in last year's model, while the sleek new body cuts the coefficient of drag to just 0.29. The overall length increases from 181 inches to 183.7, though the new model is nearly an inch lower overall. That's both good news and bad news for interior space. Rear legroom is up from 35.4 to 36.1, but headroom is down in both the front and backseats by over half an inch.

Tech fans, meanwhile, will appreciate the new standard MyLink display. The seven-inch touchscreen is compatible with both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, while an optional eight-inch display will be offered, as well. 4G LTE wi-fi, heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel, and wireless phone charging will also be offered as an optional extras. New safety features include blind-spot monitoring with cross-traffic alert, lane keeping assist, and forward collision warning.
2016-Chevrolet-Cruze-Exterior-011.jpg

More images here.
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2015/06/2016_chevy_cruze_debuts_in_det.html

Can someone explain ECU reflash for the layman? I always hear about VW Golfs getting their ECU reflashed on their turbos. It just sounds like a great way to ruin your engine reliability.

Can someone explain ECU reflash for the layman? I always hear about VW Golfs getting their ECU reflashed on their turbos. It just sounds like a great way to ruin your engine reliability.

Its like the factory CPU is programmed for fuel economy, and for safety beyond what is really needed. The results can sometime be a overly underutilized engine,

Think 220i BMW and 228 I have the same engine, and are capable of outputting the same performance, but the 220 is neutered. You can unlock the rest of the engine by re-flashing it.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.

In the case of the FRS, My un-flashed FRS has an enormousness torque dip, and a weird pause between shifts. My brother who re flashed his car, has amazing pulls, and very smooth shifts that hold, and do not dip.

I don't look at it like engine problems waiting to happen, but if its a reputable flash, I look at it as un-neutering the car.

Auto GAF correct me if I am wrong, I am not an expert.

AlphaSnake

Wow, that's impressive. Should be a hoot and will give this segment the injection of fun it desperately needs. The new Nissan Sentra will be the next car to do that, it'll be powered by the Juke's 1.8L turbo-4 and make 175HP. Unfortunately, it will likely be neutered by a CVT.

Its like the factory CPU is programmed for fuel economy, and for safety beyond what is really needed. The results can sometime be a overly underutilized engine,

Think 220i BMW and 228 I have the same engine, and are capable of outputting the same performance, but the 220 is neutered. You can unlock the rest of the engine by re-flashing it.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.

In the case of the FRS, My un-flashed FRS has an enormousness torque dip, and a weird pause between shifts. My brother who re flashed his car, has amazing pulls, and very smooth shifts that hold, and do not dip.

I don't look at it like engine problems waiting to happen, but if its a reputable flash, I look at it as un-neutering the car.

Auto GAF correct me if I am wrong, I am not an expert.

That's pretty much the case. Cars are often tuned to be eco friendly from the factory. Power is sacrificed in the name of fuel efficiency. Air-Fuel maps are more conservative than they need to be. All most ECU tunes do is optimize the AFR, which changes the mixture of air-to-fuel, allowing for more fuel to be dumped in. If you couple these tunes with mods such as intakes and exhausts, you can add more air to the mixture, and gain even more power.

I'd wager to say that no reputable tuner or engine with an ECU tune has ever catastrophically failed because of the tune. When you have a bad tune, your car will always tell you - the engine will knock and ping immediately. It won't run right. If the tune is good, all you'll feel is an extra surge and kick in power. I've tuned every one of my cars and ran them all very hard and never had any issues.

Reliability with ECUs becomes a problem when idiots try to tune turbo'd cars beyond their limits on stock turbos, fuel pumps, injectors, etc. These cars can be tuned for increased performance, but anymore than a 40WHP increase is asking for premature failure of stock supporting components (see: all turbo BMWs). Some can go longer than others, but it's highly variable based on driving styles. If you're tuning a car with OEM turbos, you need supporting mods to aid the tune - higher PSI turbos needs increased air induction (intake) and especially increase exhaust to relieve back-pressure. So to get the most bang out of an OEM turbo with an ECU tune, it requires supporting bolt-ons.

Those extra mods will add on an additional 20-25WHP easily, on top of the turbo's 40WHP, with stock reliability. Add that up and you've got a gain of 60WHP (over 80HP) for around $1500 max. You can't beat that kind of dollar:power ratio.

Jackson

Got to take a McLaren MP4-12C Spider for a spin a couple days ago.

I was on a business trip and had some time to kill so I rolled up to the dealer to check it out (there's no McLaren dealer in my city) and chatted with the dealer for a bit and got offered to take the 650S out, but he found out some salesman had already taken it out or something so we got to try a used MP4-12C with a ridiculously loud FabSpeed exhaust. The exhaust was bonkers loud, especially with the top down. Honestly, probably too loud at WOT.

But man... can it handle a corner at speed. McLaren's hydraulic stabilizer bar that replaces the typical anti-roll bar of pretty much most every other sports/super cars is rather amazing. Basically the bar can electronically soften and firm up in a turn on the fly which obviously is way better than a single piece of steel put in place to help body roll when g-force load dynamically increases.

kinetic-suspension-anti-anti-roll-bar-inline-photo-521291-s-original.jpg

(This graphic isn't from McLaren's set up, but its similar)

Combine that system with a mid-engine slotted into a carbon monocoque tub and you got a really amazing handling capabilities that feel ultra planted at high speed.

Makes my Cayman feel like a toy in the corners comparatively, but of course an MP4 is double the price (or triple the price for a 650S), so makes sense it should feel better. lol

My buddy told me his P1 makes his 650S/458 feel like a toy lol. So... I can't really fathom how good a P1 is.

AlphaSnake

Got to take a McLaren MP4-12C Spider for a spin a couple days ago.

I was on a business trip and had some time to kill so I rolled up to the dealer to check it out (there's no McLaren dealer in my city) and chatted with the dealer for a bit and got offered to take the 650S out, but he found out some salesman had already taken it out or something so we got to try a used MP4-12C with a ridiculously loud FabSpeed exhaust. The exhaust was bonkers loud, especially with the top down. Honestly, probably too loud at WOT.

But man... can it handle a corner at speed. McLaren's hydraulic stabilizer bar that replaces the typical anti-roll bar of pretty much most every other sports/super cars is rather amazing. Basically the bar can electronically soften and firm up in a turn on the fly which obviously is way better than a single piece of steel put in place to help body roll when g-force load dynamically increases.

kinetic-suspension-anti-anti-roll-bar-inline-photo-521291-s-original.jpg

(This graphic isn't from McLaren's set up, but its similar)

Combine that system with a mid-engine slotted into a carbon monocoque tub and you got a really amazing handling capabilities that feel ultra planted at high speed.

Makes my Cayman feel like a toy in the corners comparatively, but of course an MP4 is double the price (or triple the price for a 650S), so makes sense it should feel better. lol

My buddy told me his P1 makes his 650S/458 feel like a toy lol. So... I can't really fathom how good a P1 is.

If I could go out and buy any one exotic, I'd probably get the MP4-12C used. I prefer its looks over the 650S, it simply looks gorgeous. They're not that expensive either.

Evo X

If I could go out and buy any one exotic, I'd probably get the MP4-12C used. I prefer its looks over the 650S, it simply looks gorgeous. They're not that expensive either.

Agreed. Best used Supercar buy in the world right now. I'm glad the 650S came out and lowered it's price. The level of performance and tech you get for the money is astonishing.

Xdye7

I've been told he babies the shit out of the car and it seems consistent with one of his IG posts saying "...Nice to see I get 16 mpg even though I drive like a grandpa."

So my questions are:
1) What is a list of things I should look for and ask when buying a used performance car?
4) Should I buy it? I want an Evo X and it sounds like a safe purchase to me and it's relatively affordable. Maybe you guys can find potential problems that I can't see.

EDIT: Is there anything I should know in general since this is potentially my first car purchase? My friend informed me to find a good mechanic I can trust to check the car even if it's expensive (I don't know any) or find a good shop that specializes in Mitsubishi cars.

The fact that he babies the car doesn't really mean anything and isn't necessarily always a good thing. However it seems to be evident he cares for the car regardless of that claim. As far an evo x with a stock tune supposedly driven "grandpa-like" is concerned, 16mpg is indicative of a lot of stop and go. This is harder on the car and wears out parts faster. Should be getting around 20mpg no problem otherwise. Before the turbo spools it's just 2 litres getting roughly 3500 lbs to move, so starting from a stop and driving around at low speeds is what really kills the mileage.

Your questions:
1) SERVICE HISTORY. Very important. Good maintenance also generally indicates that the car was treated right in other aspects.
4) Should you buy it? Well, what exactly are you looking for in a car? The X is pretty much free of any serious issues. Off the top of my head I believe the two most common problems are a notchy and/or grinding transmission when it's cold and/or driven lightly, and the AYC pump failing due to corrosion if I recall correctly. The transmission notchiness/grinding is merely an inconvenience, there's no damage being done it just doesn't feel the greatest. There are some supposed fixes such as a weighted shift knob and aftermarket trans fluid. The AYC pump can be relocated to the trunk and just recently became included in the coverage of the 7 year/100k mile anti-corrosion warranty.

The internet is a great tool, use it to educate yourself about the car. There is a ton of information out there, forums specific to the evo are a great place to start. There you'll also find links to external sites and whatnot which are tougher or impossible to find just using google alone. As far as finding a mechanic or shop goes, look through regional forums to see where other people are taking their cars and go from there.

Anyone have words of wisdom, experiences, opinions, or other suggestions you could share with me for my post from two days ago? Otherwise I'm planning to go for it and hopefully get it by the end of August or beginning of September.
No, not necessarily dead set. It was between a Evo X or WRX/STI, with my bias being towards the Evo X because of the look, as silly as it sounds lol. But after looking at the prices of new WRXs and discussing it with my friend and mom, seems like a WRX is the way to go.

If I were you, something I would consider doing is getting a WRX, then in a couple of years or whatever if you still like the evo you can take the time and find a nice 2014 model. It's a well designed and good looking car no question, but IMO that's no reason to get one car over another. Although, once you drive it I'm sure you won't care at all what it looks like lol

the evo is a looker, drives better, and will stand out. The wrx is common. When you are spending that kind of money, get what you really want. Test drive all 3 and decide. If you're still unsure, sleep on it.

solid advice right here

Very cool! Yeah, I love our 15 year import rule. We get to see a ton of interesting cars, that were never sold in our market.

Lol I forgot to finish my original reply. But yeah the 15 year import rule is baller. Anwyays, I meant to say how uncommon the evo was in comparison to the STI, not even including WRXs regular imprezas etc etc; it was practically non-existent. Regarding a more general non-location based comparison, I think I read somewhere that the production of full out STI's outnumbers lancer evo's around 3 to 1. Could be total BS for all I know but it seems to make sense and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Today here in SoCal I spotted an STI hatch parked on my block with plates from the province I used to live in, I couldn't believe it lmao.

I was always a massive fan of the STI, especially the hatch and later model year facelift/widebody. It was basically my dream practical everyday car, especially for Canada. When I was finally in the position to own one, I did my research and was completely turned off by the potential engine issues, so I ended up with an evo lol. Also all new 5-doors were gone with only a selection of crappy used ones to choose from, and the new 2015 STI still had the same engine. Any desirable hatch wasn't for sale or was listed for MSRP with like 50k miles lol, no joke. Previously I was aware of the evo and liked it but it was just another cool car, I was nowhere nearly as interested in it as the subie. The tables sure turned so to speak, never would've guessed.

negitoro7

So to get the most bang out of an OEM turbo with an ECU tune, it requires supporting bolt-ons.

Those extra mods will add on an additional 20-25WHP easily, on top of the turbo's 40WHP, with stock reliability. Add that up and you've got a gain of 60WHP (over 80HP) for around $1500 max. You can't beat that kind of dollar:power ratio.

Yup, Stage 2 ECU tune + intake + full turboback exhaust made my car feel and sound like a whole different car. Love it, and wish I modded earlier.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yup, Stage 2 ECU tune + intake + full turboback exhaust made my car feel and sound like a whole different car. Love it, and wish I modded earlier.

you guys are killing me. i'm anxiously waiting for a few "extra" checks to roll in, end of summer-ish, when i plan to go a little crazy with my evo. finally settled (yeah right) on a high flow cat, catback exhaust, intake (drop-in) and pipe, electronic boost controller, a pro tune, and maybe a new fuel pump if my tuner recommends it. should make a world of difference in a car that still blows me away bone stock.

rokkerkory

What price are you getting your Mazda 3 at before the TT+l? Is it the grand touring?

I've got a quote for both S Touring and Grand Touring models, but learning towards Touring as I really don't need HIDs, leather, etc for a daily. Quote was 23k before tax and fees.

I've got a quote for both S Touring and Grand Touring models, but learning towards Touring as I really don't need HIDs, leather, etc for a daily. Quote was 23k before tax and fees.

Nice I got a dealer wanting to sell me a s grand touring sedan for a little less than 23k.

FStop7

Banned
Nice to know the RS is coming to the USA.

I checked out an Alfa 4C last weekend. If there were a stick shift option I would be all over one.

5Q_640.jpg

Oxn

Nice to know the RS is coming to the USA.

I checked out an Alfa 4C last weekend. If there were a stick shift option I would be all over one.

5Q_640.jpg

I looked at the 3 locations on the website near my area in NYC, and all the 4Cs are sold out.

There is one used one on cars.com going for wayyy above retail price.

Imo the best looking somewhat affordable sportscar.

Oxn

If they can keep this around the same price as an STi...

Cue the frytakemymoney.jpg

Rumors are between 37-39k depending on options.

I think this car is way better (on paper, and what Ive watching on test drives, youtubes, etc..) than the STI.

It just has soo much more to it.

boltz

Rumors are between 37-39k depending on options.

I think this car is way better (on paper, and what Ive watching on test drives, youtubes, etc..) than the STI.

It just has soo much more to it.

Problem with these all being imported in limited quantities and the first RS to be sold in the US, is finding one that's not marked up the wazoo. Maybe 2017 model year...

Evo X

Rumors are Clarkson, Hammond, and May will be formally announcing their new show at Netflix next week, with shooting starting soon. Can't wait. Less restrictions than BBC and higher budget should make for one awesome show!

Problem with these all being imported in limited quantities and the first RS to be sold in the US, is finding one that's not marked up the wazoo. Maybe 2017 model year...

I don't think there will be a markup on these. It's not like a limited edition Ferrari or something. $39K is already asking a lot for a Focus, no matter how performance oriented it is. It's main rivals like the WRX STI, Evo, Civic Type R, and Golf R are all similarly priced. If they try to mark it up, it will encroach on a whole another category of car.

Nobody I know is paying markup on a Cayman GT4 and that's a hell of a lot more rare and expensive than the Focus RS will be. Two people I know also ordered the new GT3RS at MSRP.

Didn't realize that there was an automotive thread on here. Just thought I'd stop by and say hi!

Welcome to the best community on GAF! :D

What do you drive?

Top Bottom