• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Jackson

Okay, picked her up this morning at 9am! lol

Everyone meet Kali! She had 1 mile on her when I first test drove her and 3 miles when I picked her up. :D

Pros so far:
- Infotainment system is on par with my iDrive system in my M3, lots and lots of functionalities
- Drives so smooth, blind spot monitoring is uber
- Keyless entry / ignition + start stop
- I can tell the engine is willing to rev, but just can't yet
- Still impressed with quality of interior

Cons so far:
- 600 mile break in on engine... booo I want to try the sport feature and paddles
- Review mirror is kinda small
- oem tires kinda are weak, but maybe need to break them in

11701025_10153363908213758_4572649614052868376_n.jpg

10985043_10153363907858758_2244280583939585288_n.jpg

988549_10153363907973758_541617270828787741_n.jpg

11403133_10153363908053758_8390993062760962942_n.jpg

11112295_10153363908148758_4289455807177958869_n.jpg

10250175_10153363908198758_1520557948335814316_n.jpg

Congrats! It's a really handsome looking car! Mazda really has a German feel to it, in a good way. Interior seems way better than Honda.

But, honestly, you don't need to "break-in" your engine. Modern synthetic lubricants and oils are designed very specifically to protect metal parts. And metal engines are now pretreated and conditioned from the factory. Simply put, they don't need your help. Lol
In my experience the only people recommending a break-in period on a new car (typically online) do so to "feel" better about their new baby rather than having any actual science behind the decision. Typically, to me, they come off kinda neurotic about their new baby. But don't believe me, just do some Google leg work and you'll see for yourself.

Though Porsche doesn't even do an oil change until 10k miles Which kinda freaks even me out! haha.

Anyway... Drive it like you stole it!

16 hours later... finally done with the intake install lol.

Started around 10PM and didn't finish until 3AM and this was a two man team. I was dismantling the front bumper, taking off billions of clips in the fender liner, bolts, nuts and washers everywhere... I actually used 5 ziplock bags with labels and shit just so I won't get confused or whatever lol. My brother was tackling the actual intake install, removing the stock airbox, MAF, and all that stuff... and yep, it still took around 4 hours for what was supposed to be a 2 hour job.

I'm actually kinda glad me and my bro did the install ourselves coz I called one of the Miata shops around here and they charged for 4 hours as well, and that would've cost around $300, whereas it only cost me around $150 for the floor jack.

That said, fnck Mazda for those goddamn fncking fender clips. I think I removed 30 clips total, and the car is old that a lot of those clips are pretty much broken and I only bought 15 clips just in case. I actually ended up using all of it, and what's worse... this shit was sooooo time consuming. I swear we spent an hour and a half to remove the bumper and another hour+half to reinstall the bumper. Yep, a monkey could have installed the damn intake provided you removed the front bumper lol.

And the worst part... I haven't gotten the chance to take it out on the road since Johnny Lawman is everywhere and it's almost 5AM lol. I did immediately notice a different sound when I started the car and just from that, I can tell that the Mazdaspeed/AEM intake might be a perfect compliment for my raunchy exhaust.

But anyway, rant over... gotta get some sleep now haha.

lustrate

Sorry if this isn't the proper thread for my post, but I don't often post about cars and wasn't sure.

I was recently involved in an accident, and as a result my vehicle spent a substantial amount of time being repaired. Well, I picked it up yesterday and within 24 hours a check engine light appeared. I'm very ignorant when it comes to cars, but I believe it's also making a weird noise. Do you guys have any opinions?

Here's a video I recorded of the issue:
https://vid.me/61zr

ascii42

Sorry if this isn't the proper thread for my post, but I don't often post about cars and wasn't sure.

I was recently involved in an accident, and as a result my vehicle spent a substantial amount of time being repaired. Well, I picked it up yesterday and within 24 hours a check engine light appeared. I'm very ignorant when it comes to cars, but I believe it's also making a weird noise. Do you guys have any opinions?

Here's a video I recorded of the issue:
https://vid.me/61zr

If you've got a check engine light, the thing to do is to find out what the error code is. Most auto parts stores like AutoZone and Pep Boys do free error code reading.

Everyone meet Kali! She had 1 mile on her when I first test drove her and 3 miles when I picked her up. :D

Pros so far:
- Infotainment system is on par with my iDrive system in my M3, lots and lots of functionalities

Cons so far:
- 600 mile break in on engine... booo I want to try the sport feature and paddles

Looks good man. I was thinking about getting one for a family car, how much did it run you?

Antagon

That Mazda looks great.

Mentioned the Clio before, going to pick it up Wednesday. Here's a pic:

img-20150626-wa0004grpoj.jpg

Had to made some tradeoffs and ended getting the slowest version available here. 3 cylinder 900 cc engine. Still drives pretty well though, helps that is just over 1000kg in weight.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Congrats! It's a really handsome looking car! Mazda really has a German feel to it, in a good way. Interior seems way better than Honda.

But, honestly, you don't need to "break-in" your engine. Modern synthetic lubricants and oils are designed very specifically to protect metal parts. And metal engines are now pretreated and conditioned from the factory. Simply put, they don't need your help. Lol
In my experience the only people recommending a break-in period on a new car (typically online) do so to "feel" better about their new baby rather than having any actual science behind the decision. Typically, to me, they come off kinda neurotic about their new baby. But don't believe me, just do some Google leg work and you'll see for yourself.

Though Porsche doesn't even do an oil change until 10k miles Which kinda freaks even me out! haha.

If a car has a break-in-process written out in the booklet, you have to follow it. Especially since his car literally had 1 mile on it, which means nobody test drove it after production to make sure there are no issues with it (which is really weird, btw). Almost all cars have 10+ miles on them after being built, because they are usually test driven around the plant quickly to make sure everything's tight.

1 mile is...wow.

rokkerkory

Looks good man. I was thinking about getting one for a family car, how much did it run you?

Haha thanks man, yeah I will def drive it like I stole it soon! I have a lead foot. :p

Already looking for some light mods :p :p :p

@ RapidCancel - It's costing me $202 + tax monthly lease with $2400 down + fees, almost $3k due at signing. Right now there is a $1000 cash incentive off too. Really helped out. Trim is S Touring.

Great and fun daily! I had a blast just driving her yesterday doing errands and stuff. So comfy and smooth.

Finally got a chance to test out my intake.

I'm loving the improved throttle response. Sound wise, I can't hear anything since my exhaust is too loud lol. I actually had a baffle on it too to quiet down the sound but it's either shoddily built or I hit some shit roads that it fell out of the car sometime a few weeks ago. It's probably just rolling around in some Texas highway haha.

I'm thinking of buying another baffle, but $45 bucks for something that might get lost again? I'm not too sure.

Almost all cars have 10+ miles on them after being built, because they are usually test driven around the plant quickly to make sure everything's tight.

1 mile is...wow.

Mazda's factory in Salamanca, Mexico(where the North/South American Mazda3's are manufactured) doesn't have a test track IIRC. Check Google Earth for "Mazda Salamanca" and check if you can find a test track. And check the distance from one end of the plant to the other... it's literally about .9 miles.

Assuming it rolled off the factory to the parking lot, then to the trailer then to the parking lot of the dealership... yeah 1 mile sounds about right lol.

Smokey

Haha thanks man, yeah I will def drive it like I stole it soon! I have a lead foot. :p

Already looking for some light mods :p :p :p

@ RapidCancel - It's costing me $202 + tax monthly lease with $2400 down + fees, almost $3k due at signing. Right now there is a $1000 cash incentive off too. Really helped out. Trim is S Touring.

Great and fun daily! I had a blast just driving her yesterday doing errands and stuff. So comfy and smooth.

Did you have any other car or you just leasing this one? Congrats btw

Evo X

Congrats!

You have a long commute or something? Wondering why you didn't just decide to daily the M3.

Repgnar

Looking to be buying my first new car here in about 2-3 months. Been looking around and still unsure of what I want but I keep looking at the Honda Fit and Mazda 3. I realize that they're different types of cars but for their price and what people say about them I keep coming back to those. Been creating a credit score for the past year or so and researching the PAL side of things. Also been reading up on the whole buying process for once I actually get to where i'll be living. Was wondering how much I should expect to be paying for total beyond the price of the car. I hear people say you should negotiate the price out the door (Rather than listen to the salesman focus on monthly payments etc.) but I assumed this doesn't include the extra fees that get added onto it. Could someone break down what I'll be looking at after the price has been decided?

rokkerkory

Did you have any other car or you just leasing this one? Congrats btw

Congrats!

You have a long commute or something? Wondering why you didn't just decide to daily the M3.

Yeah also I have an e92 M3. I had an older acura but my gf is driving it now since she moved in. So needed a DD.

I don't have a long commute distance wise only 14mile per way to work but with stop n go traffic it is 45m to an hour :(

Just didn't want to put the M3 through that also manual is painful in that kinda traffic. Also, gonna start tracking the M3 this year so starting to mod it for that. :D

Mazda's factory in Salamanca, Mexico(where the North/South American Mazda3's are manufactured) doesn't have a test track IIRC. Check Google Earth for "Mazda Salamanca" and check if you can find a test track. And check the distance from one end of the plant to the other... it's literally about .9 miles.

Assuming it rolled off the factory to the parking lot, then to the trailer then to the parking lot of the dealership... yeah 1 mile sounds about right lol.

Looks like they have a little test and rattle track to prove cars out before shipping. Just, going through final line, doing the test area then going around the plant should get you at least a mile, then a bit more driving at the lot. Pretty weird to see but maybe that car was parked right up close or something, no idea. Kinda cool.

dOmq0Eu.png

Looks like they have a little test and rattle track to prove cars out before shipping. Just, going through final line, doing the test area then going around the plant should get you at least a mile, then a bit more driving at the lot. Pretty weird to see but maybe that car was parked right up close or something, no idea. Kinda cool.

dOmq0Eu.png

Hm, I guess this could be a little test track of sorts. I measured the distance using Google Maps and it comes out to .38 miles if you go back inside the building, and .30 if you go straight through the parking lot next to it.

All this got me thinking... do you know if the GM plant in here DFW has a test track?

They need to open that up for public access if they do lol.

Hm, I guess this could be a little test track of sorts. I measured the distance using Google Maps and it comes out to .38 miles if you go back inside the building, and .30 if you go straight through the parking lot next to it.

All this got me thinking... do you know if the GM plant in here DFW has a test track?

They need to open that up for public access if they do lol.

Haha, test tracks are a lot less interesting than you might be thinking. Typically there will just be a squeak and rattle track after final line that has the uneven rumble strips to see if anything...squeaks or rattles. After that they'll drive the car over to the shipping lot and that's it.

GM's test track is up in Milford, MI, it's called the Milford Proving Grounds.

Jackson

If a car has a break-in-process written out in the booklet, you have to follow it. Especially since his car literally had 1 mile on it, which means nobody test drove it after production to make sure there are no issues with it (which is really weird, btw). Almost all cars have 10+ miles on them after being built, because they are usually test driven around the plant quickly to make sure everything's tight.

1 mile is...wow.

I guess. But again the engines/metals are religiously tested before they're even put into the car these days.

Also lots of cars have test drive miles on them and if they're sports cars they were revved to heck. :) I know I beat on my car in two separate test drives before I bought it and it had like 25 miles before I hopped in lol. GTS is a rare trim, so there's no "demo" car to play with.

Evo X

I guess. But again the engines/metals are religiously tested before they're even put into the car these days.

Also lots of cars have test drive miles on them and if they're sports cars they were revved to heck. :) I know I beat on my car in two separate test drives before I bought it and it had like 25 miles before I hopped in lol. GTS is a rare trim, so there's no "demo" car to play with.

Agreed. I drive my vehicles like I stole them out of the lot.

Porsche says 2,000 miles for break in. I have about 1,700 miles on my GTS now and it's already seen track time and several launch control runs. lol

As long as you maintain them, modern cars shouldn't have any trouble being driven balls out from the get go.

Jackson

On another topic... I'm kinda obsessed with the McLaren 570S after my test drive of the 12C.

V8 TT with sports exhausts sounds really good! (And Jensen Button is behind the wheel at Goodwood)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efNdDIlmp3g

Of the "daily driver" sub-$200k car category where the Porsche 911 Turbo S, Audi R8 V10 Plus, Maserati GranTursimo MC and Aston V12 Vantage S all live I think if you want a bonkers looking exotic that can take you on a road trip, a night out or a track day the 570S takes the cake.

It has more legroom, slightly higher ground clearance, more trunk space and lower tub sills (to get in and out) than any previous McLaren.

And aside from the P1 it looks incredible.

For the price... I dunno, it seems like a super bargain. It looks to compete up a rung with the Huracans and 458s than down a notch into the mini-super cars of the 911s/R8s where its price point is.

17213589811_04bcf89e17_c.jpg

16591717794_d6cd6c17d8_c.jpg

16591708474_da83ca913d_c.jpg

17213606671_28000a35f5_c.jpg

16593966293_75316f5d79_c.jpg

17006750037_2ecd63b295_c.jpg

17006754197_c368e28c39_c.jpg

Also...

PJjvrH3.gif

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Dealerships aren't allowed to test drive cars most of the cars on their lot, unless you have a persistent customer who insists on test driving the very vehicle he will be buying. Only a small handful (usually ones that represent the best options) are for test driving purposes. Others are usually parked and boxed in a way to discourage the would-be-buyer and just allowing the sales rep to take him into an available designated test drive car. My 370Z had 13 miles on it when I bought it. And it was covered in all sorts plastic, pads, stickers, etc.

The Audis I've leased, on the other hand, usually had over 100 miles on them each. They were definitely test driven here and there. But that's because they had options that most people wanted in their cars.

My brothers M6s (both the E6x and the F1x) had over 50 miles. And both cars were built and ordered just for him. Same goes for the R8 V10.

Jackson

Dealerships aren't allowed to test drive cars most of the cars on their lot, unless you have a persistent customer who insists on test driving the very vehicle he will be buying. Only a small handful (usually ones that represent the best options) are for test driving purposes. Others are usually parked and boxed in a way to discourage the would-be-buyer and just allowing the sales rep to take him into an available designated test drive car.

Well my point was, the whole "break the car in" thing is a relic from an age where we got our gas from tapping actual dinosaurs. :p

I bought a car that had test drive miles on it, and I put more test drive miles on it and those were hard early miles.

You can test drive anything. You just gotta look serious enough. They obviously don't want people joy riding and plopping down miles down on a car they couldn't even seriously buy in the first place. And if there's a "used" one of the same version they'd' rather you drive that, sure. But I've test driven plenty of "rare" trim cars that were sitting inside the dealer showroom, 1 of 1 and didn't buy any of them. Still took 'em out and ringed around town/highway when they had their baby miles on 'em.

Just saying...

I think I'd still rather have the AMG GT-S.

The McLaren's too boy racer.

Yeah it is, but that's why I like it!

The AMG GT-S is in a different price category though. $55k price difference on just the base MSRP is a massive gulf. (actually it's two Golfs! har har!)

1 mile is...wow.

The S Mazda 3s are still built in Japan. I have faith in Japanese built autos.

Haha, test tracks are a lot less interesting than you might be thinking. Typically there will just be a squeak and rattle track after final line that has the uneven rumble strips to see if anything...squeaks or rattles. After that they'll drive the car over to the shipping lot and that's it.

GM's test track is up in Milford, MI, it's called the Milford Proving Grounds.

Oh yeah, I know about their test track in Milford. I was just wondering if GM was hiding something in their plant in Arlington. Then again, all they build there are SUV's so maybe not lol.

The S Mazda 3s are still built in Japan. I have faith in Japanese built autos.

I think there's some proportional split between their Mexican and Japanese plant. Thailand does produce Mazda3's too but I don't think they ship those cars to the Americas.

I looked at my Mazda dealer's website and I've seen a couple of VIN's start with 3(which is obviously Mexico's designation) then there are S Touring's and Grand Touring's that are Japanese built.

That said I don't think it really matters though. It's 2015 and cars are mass-produced by computers these days so the margin of error would probably be really low.

Oh yeah, I know about their test track in Milford. I was just wondering if GM was hiding something in their plant in Arlington. Then again, all they build there are SUV's so maybe not lol.

I think there's some proportional split between their Mexican and Japanese plant. Thailand does produce Mazda3's too but I don't think they ship those cars to the Americas.

I looked at my Mazda dealer's website and I've seen a couple of VIN's start with 3(which is obviously Mexico's designation) then there are S Touring's and Grand Touring's that are Japanese built.

That said I don't think it really matters though. It's 2015 and cars are mass-produced by computers these days so the margin of error would probably be really low.

Well Honda seems to be having some issues with its cars being built in Mexico anyway, judging by the build quality complaints on the new Fit.

Well Honda seems to be having some issues with its cars being built in Mexico anyway, judging by the build quality complaints on the new Fit.

I haven't seen any complaints about the Mexican built Mazdas and they started building them in 2014. So maybe it's just a Honda thing?

To be fair though, I remember all the complaints when VW established a factory in Mexico years ago. And also Chrysler had issues back then... but this is Chrysler we're talking about and we all know about their reliability issues before FIAT took over.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUUUU

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mazda-miata-could-also-spawn-second-gen-toyota-and-subaru-sports-cars/

Is there nothing the new Mazda Miata cannot do? We’ve been singing its praises since the new model debuted, and other carmakers also seem to be hip to the little Mazda’s greatness. We already knew that Fiat will resurrect the 124 Spider using the Miata as a base. Now it appears that Toyota is eying the Miata as for the next-generation of its FT86 sports coupe, which we know as the Scion FR-S.

As goes the FR-S of course, so goes the Subaru BRZ—since the twins were jointly developed in an effort that saw Subaru undertake most of the engineering work, with both models released in 2012. Toyota says it will produce a successor, and an insider close to Toyota tells us that both the FT86 and the BRZ could switch to the new Miata platform in their next generation.

Rumors are that Toyota has tested the new Miata, and the initial evaluation is promising. Says our source, “If Toyota were to employ the MX-5’s chassis, it would be on the next-generation FT86.”

rokkerkory

On another topic... I'm kinda obsessed with the McLaren 570S after my test drive of the 12C.

V8 TT with sports exhausts sounds really good! (And Jensen Button is behind the wheel at Goodwood)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efNdDIlmp3g

Of the "daily driver" sub-$200k car category where the Porsche 911 Turbo S, Audi R8 V10 Plus, Maserati GranTursimo MC and Aston V12 Vantage S all live I think if you want a bonkers looking exotic that can take you on a road trip, a night out or a track day the 570S takes the cake.

It has more legroom, slightly higher ground clearance, more trunk space and lower tub sills (to get in and out) than any previous McLaren.

And aside from the P1 it looks incredible.

For the price... I dunno, it seems like a super bargain. It looks to compete up a rung with the Huracans and 458s than down a notch into the mini-super cars of the 911s/R8s where its price point is.

17213589811_04bcf89e17_c.jpg

16591717794_d6cd6c17d8_c.jpg

16591708474_da83ca913d_c.jpg

17213606671_28000a35f5_c.jpg

16593966293_75316f5d79_c.jpg

17006750037_2ecd63b295_c.jpg

17006754197_c368e28c39_c.jpg

Also...

PJjvrH3.gif

Love this car and the new R8 V10

Bandit1

Why has Toyota become so opposed to building its own sports cars in house? They don't want to spend the money on R&D or what?

Is the GoPro the reason why the RS sounds like it has a fartcan exhaust?

Huh. Wasn't Toyota doing something with BMW too?

Maybe, lol. And yes, Toyota is reportedly working with BMW to use one of their platforms as well as drivetrain in the Supra successor.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1095430_toyota-supra-successor-to-cost-more-than-corvette-report

Mascot

I was chatting with the owner of the yellow Pagani Huayra the other day at Goodwood FoS. He looked about 25 and had driven it up from Monaco to display it.

What.

A.

Bastard.

Why has Toyota become so opposed to building its own sports cars in house? They don't want to spend the money on R&D or what?

Essentially, yes. They'd rather get in for a minimal investment to see if the market is still there.

This rumor could be nothing more than Toyota attempting to publicly bludgeon Subaru into hooking up for another round. Remember, Subaru initially said 'no' to the 86 before changing their mind.

boltz

Pros so far:

Cons so far:

Congrats! If the current Mazda was out when I got my Focus, probably would've picked one up. The weird thing about this gen is that I prefer the looks of the sedan Vs the hatch, which is not normally the case for me. But I still would have chosen the hatch for the versatility.

The RS looks a lot better in motion than the stills I've seen. Also the Juke, what is this I don't even! I can't wrap my head around how the driver can keep it on two wheels the whole time!

Huh. Wasn't Toyota doing something with BMW too?

Yep. AFAIK, Toyota's really interested in the i8 as the basis for the Supra successor.

This rumor could be nothing more than Toyota attempting to publicly bludgeon Subaru into hooking up for another round. Remember, Subaru initially said 'no' to the 86 before changing their mind.

Good point.

I'm conflicted about this whole rumor tbh. I'm all for it because that would mean more money for Mazda and maybe we'll finally get the successor to the RX-7 or if you're that pessimistic, we'll at least get a Mazdaspeed Miata.

On the other hand, this doesn't give me any confidence that Toyota can do the successor any justice. I mean Subaru already stepped in themselves for the 1st one, I can't imagine Toyota can do any better. Plus, I kinda doubt Mazda would be willing to step in Subaru's shoes to do this.

Toyota trying to be the Platinum Games of the Automotive industry.

That's not giving enough credit to Platinum imo. I'd say they're more like a porting company like Bluepoint or Iron Galaxy(RIP) lol.

I'm conflicted about this whole rumor tbh. I'm all for it because that would mean more money for Mazda and maybe we'll finally get the successor to the RX-7 or if you're that pessimistic, we'll at least get a Mazdaspeed Miata.

Same conflict here. I went from a Toyota into Mazda into the 86 and also own a Subaru, so I want all parties to succeed. Toyota has all the money, Mazda apparently has the platform and weight savings, and Subaru has the manufacturing capacity and the boxer to keep the weight down low.

The RX-7 will never happen because rotaries are going to have an uphill battle meeting worldwide emissions standards, but if a higher-power Miata came out of the profits? That would be fantastic.

On the other hand, this doesn't give me any confidence that Toyota can do the successor any justice. I mean Subaru already stepped in themselves for the 1st one, I can't imagine Toyota can do any better. Plus, I kinda doubt Mazda would be willing to step in Subaru's shoes to do this.

This is tough, because the Toyota of 1990 could have easily built this car. But the Toyota of 2015 doesn't have the vision or the brain trust. Toyoda himself may be a car guy, but without Subaru the car would have never happened.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Essentially, yes. They'd rather get in for a minimal investment to see if the market is still there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Subaru was the one pushing for the change. Their biggest problem is finding more production capacity to keep up with the 45% increase in demand over the last five years for their cars. Subaru already declined to extend their contract to manufacture Camrys in order to focus on producing their own vehicles.

I kinda wish we would have gotten a hatchback version of the iA, seeing as its basically a mazda 2/demio. But I guess that's what the iM is for.

I don't know why, but the new mazda 3 looks so much longer than the older ones. Although according to wikipedia, its the shortest. Weird.

rokkerkory

I kinda wish we would have gotten a hatchback version of the iA, seeing as its basically a mazda 2/demio. But I guess that's what the iM is for.

I don't know why, but the new mazda 3 looks so much longer than the older ones. Although according to wikipedia, its the shortest. Weird.

It's actually 2 inches shorter than the previous gen, it's just the way the long hood line looks. Couple that with less chunky of a look rear section than the previous gen, makes it look longer and leaner.

Hesemonni

Banned
new Audi A4:

jesus christ audi, do you even guts to new design?
Ge6QCUE.png

Audi being Audi. Safe, but thoroughly engineered. To me it looks brilliant in avant form.

Also, that digital instrument screen / nav / multimedia / etcetc. already found in the new TT is absolutely brilliant. Dicked around with it at a local Audi dealer and my 5-series felt antiquated in a heartbeat.

e30cpoM.png

Oxn

Is the new WRX is a good daily driver? Im prolly not gonna be able to afford it but im wondering if the ride is too harsh and loud

Top Bottom