• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Handling might be great, but there's no feel, no soul. It feels like there's this giant interface between you and the car that does all the translating, rather than talking directly to it.

It's tough to find that quality in a sub-30k car nowadays. Almost everything is utilizing electronics and drive by wire now.

A Mazda 3 or 6 like you mentioned would still be pretty lively I bet. I don't know if they have shifted over to drive by wire steering yet.

edit:
Is there any car that implements drive by wire steering?

I meant throttle. Steering and braking are still in the works.

It's tough to find that quality in a sub-30k car nowadays. Almost everything is utilizing electronics and drive by wire now.

A Mazda 3 or 6 like you mentioned would still be pretty lively I bet. I don't think they have shifted over to drive by wire steering yet.

Is there any car that implements drive by wire steering?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I have always liked German suspension and handling.
If that's not your thing then yeah there's lots of options.

As far as fit and finish though with low-end priced sedans, I don't think VW is beat by many. Sure the 6th gen has cheaper materials inside in the US, but they are still superior to other manufactures in my mind.

Ford would be a close second though with their redesigns of the Fusion, Focus, and Fiesta.

If you are looking for sporty and 4-door there are always hot hatches.

I owned a 2012 A6 3.0T - terrible car. It has nothing to do with suspension and handling (which the Audi rides too damn soft, and handles like a boat). It's just there are simply far better cars out there for the $52-60K Audi charges.

Under $30K, the choices for a car are vast. Fusion. Altima. Accord. In the class of the Jetta though, I don't like any of the choices...the least offensive is probably the Kia Forte.

Granadier

Aren't new 911s steer by wire? Or were you talking about sedans?

As far as I know the Infiniti Q50 is the only production vehicle using a fully steer-by-wire setup right now. It still has a conventional steering system as backup though.

I was talking about any car. I thought it would be at least MY16 before we saw one in any car sold to the general public. Didn't know about the 911.

It's just electric assist, not steer-by-wire.

Aren't new 911s steer by wire? Or were you talking about sedans?

I was talking about any car. I thought it would be at least MY16 before we saw one in any car sold to the general public. Didn't know about the 911.

As far as I know the Infiniti Q50 is the only production vehicle using a fully steer-by-wire setup right now. It still has a conventional steering system as backup though.

It's just electric assist, not steer-by-wire.

Oh, ok. So the Q50 is the only one on the market then. It looks like they had a recall on that as well.

AlphaSnake

Oh, ok. So the Q50 is the only one on the market then. It looks like they had a recall on that as well.

Meh, it was like a meager 23 cars they recalled around the world.

The cool thing about the system is that if it ever fails, there is a failsafe clutch disk that will engage the steering wheel to the steering column. Also, Infiniti has issued a software update for how the steering behaves, and it's possible future models will have the ability to disable the system, allowing the clutch handle the work when up to speed.

The cool thing about the system is that if it ever fails, there is a failsafe clutch disk that will engage the steering wheel to the steering column. Also, Infiniti has issued a software update for how the steering behaves, and it's possible future models will have the ability to disable the system, allowing the clutch handle the work when up to speed.

Teething problems are expected of course. One of our customers makes steering systems, they are on track to supply these systems starting from next year. We should start seeing a lot of other OEMs using these as well.

mkenyon

Banned

A Road & Track editor said that he didn't know it was drive by wire when he initially tested the car, and wouldn't have known if no one told him.

AlphaSnake

A Road & Track editor said that he didn't know it was drive by wire when he initially tested the car, and wouldn't have known if no one told him.

Yeah, I almost bought a Q50 Hybrid Sport, which comes with the steer-by-wire system, and it's not as awkward as people claim. The fact that it's easily tunable and can be calibrated through simple software is a huge plus.

mkenyon

Banned
So my pops is thinking about checking out the Macan S. Anyone have any good vids/articles? Read about it in C&D, but most of the vids online seem to be of the diesel version released in EU.

Granadier

AlphaSnake

So my pops is thinking about checking out the Macan S. Anyone have any good vids/articles? Read about it in C&D, but most of the vids online seem to be of the diesel version released in EU.

I would stay away from a 1st model year Porsche, personally. It's probably a FANTASTIC car, as many Porsches are, but it may have some issues to be ironed out because it is so new.

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat spy pics?

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat spy pics.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/future-car-news/2015-srt-challenger-hellcat-spied

Those bronze wheels. The 1970 AAR 'Cuda inspired hood. I NEED THIS IN MY VEINS RIGHT MEOW.

The first person to buy one and drive by a Greenpeace meeting with a middle finger raised to the passers-by is my new hero.

What the hell even is this?

And that actually looks fugly as hell. The lines look kind of bad, the paint color is atrocious and the rims look like someone pissed on them. Feels like something from a late 90s rap video, nothing about that looks appealing. I like the other pictures from the release but not that.

Granadier

I would stay away from a 1st model year Porsche, personally. It's probably a FANTASTIC car, as many Porsches are, but it may have some issues to be ironed out because it is so new.

Those are called "features".

2nd MY and beyond owners don't get the luxury of those.

cajunator

Banned
just saw this gorgeous Aston in the parkingl ot
p22Usql.jpg

hwalker84

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat spy pics?

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat spy pics.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/future-car-news/2015-srt-challenger-hellcat-spied

Those bronze wheels. The 1970 AAR 'Cuda inspired hood. I NEED THIS IN MY VEINS RIGHT MEOW.

The first person to buy one and drive by a Greenpeace meeting with a middle finger raised to the passers-by is my new hero.

Rumored to be $60,000+ As much as I wanted to go SRT this time that price puts me out.

ascii42

I mean I'm a MASSIVE muscle car fan. I love my Challenger. But at $60-70,000 I'd get some else (M4). I really need pricing for the Scat pack.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/dodge-...res-pricing-announced-for-charger-challenger/

Mopar Scat Pack 1 ($2195): Includes a cold air intake, cat-back exhaust system, Stage 1 performance ECU reflash, a low-restriction oil filter, and a pair of Scat Pack 1 badges. This bundle increases engine output by up to 18 horsepower and 18 lb-ft of torque.

Mopar Scat Pack 2 (adds $1895): Works with the first pack and adds a camshaft kit (high performance cam, tie bars, heavy-duty pushrods, and gaskets), Stage 2 ECU reflash, and two Scat Pack 2 badges. Output goes up as much as 30 horsepower over stock.

Mopar Scat Pack 3 (adds $4995): Again, it builds on the lower Scat levels, and brings CNC-ported cylinder heads, high-flow exhaust headers, high-flow catalysts, a Stage 3 reflash, and, yes, two new badges. It increases output by up to 58 horsepower and 47 lb-ft over the stock engine.

To maintain warranty status, buyers will have to have the pieces installed by an authorized dealer. All in, buyers will fork over $9085 for the three packs—or, if you prefer, a whole lotta Scat.

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone have any good sources for getting in to/following F1 racing? Living in the north-Atlanta area, all I hear about down here is Nascar. I'm pretty close to Road Atlanta, and I know they mix things up over there - but I have an interest in learning more about F1. Not sure if I can even watch the races on extended cable though.

Any help is appreciated!

Anyone have any good sources for getting in to/following F1 racing? Living in the north-Atlanta area, all I hear about down here is Nascar. I'm pretty close to Road Atlanta, and I know they mix things up over there - but I have an interest in learning more about F1. Not sure if I can even watch the races on extended cable though.

Any help is appreciated!

NBC Sports channel carries the U.S. F1 coverage this year.

Also, you'd have had a blast at Road Atlanta last weekend at the Mitty. Each year they have a featured make, but this year's focus was on open-wheelers, including a range of Formula 1 machines as well as cars from lower formulae and American open-wheel series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGEoRi-dSGY

Try to make it out there next year!

Smokey

i think that color would just get old after awhile.

on something like a lambo or rarri...it would be more tolerable since you most likely wouldn't use those cars as a daily. m4 is and can be used as a daily and eventually i'd think you get tired of walking out seeing this hot ass yellow car in your face everyday.

bcl0328

too bland?

yea. i looked at pics of AW, MG, BSM, SS and to me it makes the M4 look like a 4-series. usually M cars will have a special color like the lime rock or estoril blue. i just think those bright colors set it apart from the normal colors you see every day. if you get an M4 it should stand out.

i know you said AY would get old after a while, but what color doesn't? i'm already tired of my AW.

really wish you could get VO.

Stupid question:

Why is the latest Camaro Z/28 on a higher tier (performance, price) than the SS? Hasn't it always been the other way around?

Bandit1

Stupid question:

Why is the latest Camaro Z/28 on a higher tier (performance, price) than the SS? Hasn't it always been the other way around?

Not a stupid question. I'm pretty sure the SS has always been in a higher tier. For instance in the beginning the Z/28 was made for the Trans-Am racing series which was restricted to 5.0 liters, hence came the birth of the 302 cubic inch Chevy block in the first generation Camaros and its rival the Mustang Boss 302. The SS cars at the time either had 350s or 396 big blocks. Not sure about suspension. Since the Z/28 was for road racing it may have had better suspension. Not sure about pricing either.

Second gen stopped making SS cars around 1973 I think, but the Z/28s lived on, but they were bumped up to 350 CI I'm pretty sure.

SS was brought back in '98 I believe and I know they are rarer/more powerful/higher priced than the Z/28's were.

But Chevy has done many odd things with names lately. The ZL1 6.2 L supercharged cars are based off of the old 1969 ZL1 Camaros which were 427 CI cars, Chevy has the 427 CI LS7 now, but chose to put it in the Z/28 instead of remaining true to the original ZL1...

They should have made a regular V8 car with no special name, and have either the 6.0/6.2 and then have

Z/28 with a special engine, maybe even a 302, and be heavily track focused/lighter

ZL1 with the 427 LS7

And then SS for the 6.2 supercharged engine.

In my very humble opinion of course.

How the hell do they allow people drive without insurance? Isn't that what those new lisence scanners are for? My friend just got her car hit by a drunk driver. She is alright thankfully.

AlphaSnake

http://jalopnik.com/watch-a-lamborg...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

This makes my blood boil. Douche nozzle in a BRZ (?) follows a Huracan in Florida for nearly an hour while recording it. The Lambo's friend joins in to block the guy. Dumbass in the Subaru decides to pull over WITH the duo and calls 911 when the Lambo driver tells him to leave him the fuck alone and tries to knock his camera out of his hands.

What a massive fucking asshole. Fuck that "photographer". He is no better than the paparazzi. This has NO place on the road - take a few photos and some footage...but Jesus Christ, 45 minutes?

http://jalopnik.com/watch-a-lamborg...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

This makes my blood boil. Douche nozzle in a BRZ (?) follows a Huracan in Florida for nearly an hour while recording it. The Lambo's friend joins in to block the guy. Dumbass in the Subaru decides to pull over WITH the duo and calls 911 when the Lambo driver tells him to leave him the fuck alone and tries to knock his camera out of his hands.

What a massive fucking asshole. Fuck that "photographer". He is no better than the paparazzi. This has NO place on the road - take a few photos and some footage...but Jesus Christ, 45 minutes?

The Huracan guy should have called just called the cops and said that a strange car was harassing him and was being a hazard on the road.

Yep, looks like a BRZ. I wonder how he kept up.

Granadier

Well the guy definitely got the reactions, and attention, he was seeking.

Real piece of shit though.

The Huracan guy should have called just called the cops and said that a strange car was harassing him and was being a hazard on the road.

Well I obviously that huracan wasn't going full tilt, unless he was going like 140 or something the BRZ would theoretically be able to keep up on the highway.

AlphaSnake

He said there was a lot of traffic so the Lambo couldn't get away. And the Lambo was trying to avoid doing anything too rash, clearly, since he slowed down to a crawl (53MPH at one point) on a 75MPH road.

I imagine the Lambo guy didn't want to call the police because he didn't want to draw unnecessary attention to the car? You probably can't register one in the US just yet, so I'm sure whoever loaned him the car said "don't get pulled over".

He said there was a lot of traffic so the Lambo couldn't get away. And the Lambo was trying to avoid doing anything too rash, clearly, since he slowed down to a crawl (53MPH at one point) on a 75MPH road.

I imagine the Lambo guy didn't want to call the police because he didn't want to draw unnecessary attention to the car? You probably can't register one in the US just yet, so I'm sure whoever loaned him the car said "don't get pulled over".

which makes it real weird why the lambo dude got out of the car.

Latest fast lap. First time on track since last Oct. Shaking off the cobwebs but 2 seconds faster than previous fast lap video posted. Goal is to hit 1min 56 laptimes by end of this year on a stock car. Having a proper race seat put in was a huge boost in feeling comfortable. Highly recommended for anyone seriously wanting to track their car and going fast enough for it to matter. I need to get a better mount. Realized the mount is shaking and blurring the camera too much. Maybe time for a gopro like the rest of the world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mysIDCoV50&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

Smokey

Latest fast lap. First time on track since last Oct. Shaking off the cobwebs but 2 seconds faster than previous fast lap video posted. Goal is to hit 1min 56 laptimes by end of this year on a stock car. Having a proper race seat put in was a huge boost in feeling comfortable. Highly recommended for anyone seriously wanting to track their car and going fast enough for it to matter. I need to get a better mount. Realized the mount is shaking and blurring the camera too much. Maybe time for a gopro like the rest of the world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mysIDCoV50&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

Man that looks fun. Z06 right? Is it also your daily?

Top Bottom