• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Oxn

Oxn is automatic a strict requirement for you? The CVT is not fantastic in the WRX.

It really is. I dont know how to drive a manual. I dont know anyone who knows how to drive a manual besides my in law, and i live in NYC

Besides i heard that if there was ever a CVT that someone would like, it would be the one in the WRX

As for my leasing response above. Its a bit confusing right now. One online lease calculator tells me a different story from the next

DFW, or at least the Dallas side, is full of douchebags regardless of what they're driving. :p

Ain't that the truth.

I dread going to North Dallas everytime due to construction and shitty drivers. It's a lot less douchey everywhere else but you do get the occasional idiot so it's not any better really.

Doh, what happened to Evo X to get banned? I will miss his commentary and car pics in our excellent automotive thread. I hope it is just a temp ban.

Regarding BMW reliability: A lot of the issues that they seem to have just puzzle me. Obviously there are sensors, fuel pumps, injectors, shocks, gaskets, etc. that just go and go and go without failing but somehow BMW doesn't use them.

Is it because they use cheap(er) suppliers? Is it something in the way the cars are engineered? Or is it a lack of long term testing in all types of conditions? Or is it some of all of that?

I honestly don't know. But I do know that a great looking, great driving car only gets you so far in terms of customer goodwill. At some point poor quality and reliability is going to trump good driving and good looking.

I can't even see anything that would get Evo X banned... I highly doubt he'd get banned for his comments on the Halo split screen thread.

You know that's one of the finer questions in life... German, more so BMW, reliability used to be bulletproof but now they're not any better than the Italians they constantly shat on years ago.

The British managed to immediately fix their shit by dropping Lucas electrics... I can't see why BMW can't do something similar.

The CVT is not fantastic in the WRX.

Yeah, that CVT is dreadful. What you're basically getting is a stupid fast, amazing handling, AWD Corolla or Civic with the CVT.

If I had 23k or 30k(whichever the real number is lol) to spend for an automatic performance car I personally would rather get a used G37, 370Z or something along those lines.

That said, don't let us internet commenters stop you. If that's what you want and you've test drove it to make sure that you are happy with it, then I'd say go for it.

But absolutely make sure you're really happy with it. Car buying IS an emotional process... to the point that you'll do stupid things just to get the car you want. Me for example, I didn't even know how to drive stick when I bought my Miata but I bought it anyway coz I wanted to learn.

You gotta take those emotions one by one and make sure it fits your criteria. And don't rush the dealing process. Get a friend to go with you, preferably someone who's not that interested in cars and then tell them your criteria that way they can stop you from doing anything stupid. But above all, the moment you start to feel giddy, that moment where you already wanna take the car home... at this point, walk away. Go to the bathroom or the lounge area, anywhere really just take your eyes and the high off that car.

Go through your criteria, and yes write this down and check it off. Talk with your friend about it and if you've calmed down for a bit, then go back and talk numbers. But once you're talking, don't forget your friend exists... ask for opinions, basically let your friend be the person to kill the mood and bring you a reality check.

But more importantly, don't forget that you CAN walk away. The dealer doesn't have your money until you hand in the check and signed all the documents with the finance manager. So at any point something feels off, reset with your buddy and go through the entire thing and if it still doesn't feel right... walk away.

Seriously, a lot of people get reamed by car dealerships because they can't control their excitement and end up with financing that fncks you over. So again, walk away if it doesn't feel right.

Oxn

Ain't that the truth.

I dread going to North Dallas everytime due to construction and shitty drivers. It's a lot less douchey everywhere else but you do get the occasional idiot so it's not any better really.

I can't even see anything that would get Evo X banned... I highly doubt he'd get banned for his comments on the Halo split screen thread.

You know that's one of the finer questions in life... German, more so BMW, reliability used to be bulletproof but now they're not any better than the Italians they constantly shat on years ago.

The British managed to immediately fix their shit by dropping Lucas electrics... I can't see why BMW can't do something similar.

Yeah, that CVT is dreadful. What you're basically getting is a stupid fast, amazing handling, AWD Corolla or Civic with the CVT.

If I had 23k or 30k(whichever the real number is lol) to spend for an automatic performance car I personally would rather get a used G37, 370Z or something along those lines.

That said, don't let us internet commenters stop you. If that's what you want and you've test drove it to make sure that you are happy with it, then I'd say go for it.

But absolutely make sure you're really happy with it. Car buying IS an emotional process... to the point that you'll do stupid things just to get the car you want. Me for example, I didn't even know how to drive stick when I bought my Miata but I bought it anyway coz I wanted to learn.

You gotta take those emotions one by one and make sure it fits your criteria. And don't rush the dealing process. Get a friend to go with you, preferably someone who's not that interested in cars and then tell them your criteria that way they can stop you from doing anything stupid. But above all, the moment you start to feel giddy, that moment where you already wanna take the car home... at this point, walk away. Go to the bathroom or the lounge area, anywhere really just take your eyes and the high off that car.

Go through your criteria, and yes write this down and check it off. Talk with your friend about it and if you've calmed down for a bit, then go back and talk numbers. But once you're talking, don't forget your friend exists... ask for opinions, basically let your friend be the person to kill the mood and bring you a reality check.

But more importantly, don't forget that you CAN walk away. The dealer doesn't have your money until you hand in the check and signed all the documents with the finance manager. So at any point something feels off, reset with your buddy and go through the entire thing and if it still doesn't feel right... walk away.

Seriously, a lot of people get reamed by car dealerships because they can't control their excitement and end up with financing that fncks you over. So again, walk away if it doesn't feel right.

Thank you, very good advice

As far as the car is concerned, i havent test driven it yet but on paper i have no complsints. It checks all my boxes

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The CVT is dogshit in the WRX. It's over 1 second slower to 60MPH than a manual.

Also, if you live in NYC, don't lease a Subaru - they lease like garbage. You'll be paying way too much. If you want sporty AWD, lease a Q50 for around $350 with $0 out of pocket at signing.

Also, you never put a large downpayment on a lease. $3000 is way too much. You are burning money. All your doing is minimizing your payments, it does nothing for the final worth of the vehicle if you decide to buy out. Keep that 3K as a cushion. Also, if the car gets totaled, you just lost $3000.

Also, lease calculators do not work because all leases are determined by a bank and not a calculator.

Also, my brother-in-law has a Subaru Legacy and NYC has turned the car into a piece of shit tin can in less than 4 years.

You need to rethink leasing this car.

Yeah I've driven the CVT WRX many times, my coworker has one.

It really is dreadful. And I don't just say that as someone who really likes manual. It's a bad transmission as far as automatic transmissions go, period.

As other suggested it might even be a good idea to consider the Infinite Q50 for leasing or something else if you really really need auto.

matmanx1

The AWD versions of the Lexus IS series are pretty good cars as well. They aren't as sporty as the Infiniti or the Subaru but the interiors are fantastic and they are rock solid reliable.

I had an AWD IS250 for a while and it was a very good every day car. I would probably still have it if the seats had fit me better.

Well ofcourse.n im just the type that like to think of all the scenarios before persuing

There is no way inwouldnt test drive

No, I mean drive the car before you think about it any further. Because you're probably going to be disappointed.

Subaru CVTs leave something to be desired. Our CVT has 34k miles on it and is slow to get out of Park/Reverse, slow to rev when pressed; just all around slow.

The WRX is an amazing car. Don't get it with the wrong transmission.

Oxn

Yeah I've driven the CVT WRX many times, my coworker has one.

It really is dreadful. And I don't just say that as someone who really likes manual. It's a bad transmission as far as automatic transmissions go, period.

As other suggested it might even be a good idea to consider the Infinite Q50 for leasing or something else if you really really need auto.

No, I mean drive the car before you think about it any further. Because you're probably going to be disappointed.

Subaru CVTs leave something to be desired. Our CVT has 34k miles on it and is slow to get out of Park/Reverse, slow to rev when pressed; just all around slow.

The WRX is an amazing car. Don't get it with the wrong transmission.

In all honesty i cant imagine myself being dissapointed with the cvt transmission when you see what i am coming from. A 2000 nissan altima.

But yes i will test drive and see for myself. I would not blindly buy it. If i must must have manual i wouldnt even go for a 2015 WRX. I would either shoot for an old model or the focus RS that i have been drooling over

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
In all honesty i cant imagine myself being dissapointed with the cvt transmission when you see what i am coming from. A 2000 nissan altima.

But yes i will test drive and see for myself. I would not blindly buy it. If i must must have manual i wouldnt even go for a 2015 WRX. I would either shoot for an old model or the focus RS that i have been drooling over
To add to advice, test drive more than just the wrx.

Oxn

The AWD versions of the Lexus IS series are pretty good cars as well. They aren't as sporty as the Infiniti or the Subaru but the interiors are fantastic and they are rock solid reliable.

I had an AWD IS250 for a while and it was a very good every day car. I would probably still have it if the seats had fit me better.

Completely out of my price range. 40k for awd starting price

The wrx limited is already pushing it for me

FStop7

Banned
Yeah I've gone to car meets where everyone is wonderful regardless of who's driving what, which has been especially true at track days. However I had one bad experience with some Lambo guys, it was a group called MOB INC, Men of Birmingham (Alabama) in Nice Cars, and for the most part they were dicks. At the time, 2008, I had a 2000 911 and one time I went to a meet (they were real public at a steakhouse off a main road) just to look at some cars. While I was there a Lambo owner came over, asked me what year my car was, says "huh", gives me a look and then walks off.

Fuck those guys. Of course I had gone by previously when it was threatening rain and it was just 911s, all the Ferrari and Lambo guys stayed home.

And don't be too mean to Cayennes, there was a guy in one who went nuts waving at me one time!

My eyes, they cannot roll hard enough. I bet they love to talk about vaping and post funny image macros of Obama on MRA subreddits, too.

I test drove the CVT WRX and thought it was good. Not a great transmission, but not dogshit either. Especially if you'll be driving in traffic a lot, it is a fine compromise.

Jackson

check out the new UGR Huracan. basically even with the top AMS GTR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqjJn5x9li4

2000HP car doing 200+ MPH at a drag event... What's Nomex? My awesomeness with put out my fires. Ridiculous for the coordinators to not enforce that.

I know it's tongue-in-cheek but this is unfortunately somewhat true. Lots of Porsche owners around here in DFW are douchebags... and of course most of these douches are those buying it only for the emblem.

On the flipside of things, the members of the PCA Maverick region are the nicest people I've ever met but of course these guys are the real car enthusiasts and I think it's kind of a requirement to be a nice person in order to stay a member lol.

Outside of PCA, most Porsche owners aren't car people, they're status people and have no clue how well their car drives.

PCA can be a little bit pretentious as well, but to be honest so can a bunch of hellaflush Miata clubs. People can use any excuse to look down on other people.

I see on their website a lease for the IS250, $349 a month for 36 months with 800 down...

Not sure if it's AWD though.

Q50 looks like $309 a month for 39 months with 3509 down.

Oxn

I see on their website a lease for the IS250, $349 a month for 36 months with 800 down...

Not sure if it's AWD though.

Q50 looks like $309 a month for 39 months with 3509 down.

Thanks for checking. I heard the Q50 has a reallllly bad infotainment system. Like super slow.

I would buy a used G37 before id do that.

I just dont feel the IS350 is worth the money.

So what i want in terms of ranking is

Lease 2015 wrx
Then buy used G37x
And if neither works out, just get an average used daily driver (2014+ jetta SE, dont hate on this car GAF)

AlphaSnake

Thanks for checking. I heard the Q50 has a reallllly bad infotainment system. Like super slow.

Lease 2015 wrx
Then buy used G37x
And if neither works out, just get an average used daily driver (2014+ jetta SE, dont hate on this car GAF)

The Q50 (I've had them as loaners) only had software issues early on. They've been updated and respond fairly well now. Newer years are even better. The only thing is there is about a 30 second full boot time require for every system to work smoothly. Otherwise if you start messing with the AC immediately and jumping through screens, then yeah it'll be slow until the Intel processor has fully booted up the OS.

If the Q50 isn't your cup of tea, look at the Acura TLX.

Again, leasing a Subaru is a terrible idea. I don't think you know what you're getting into. You can lease a LUXURY car for the money they're going to want for a WRX. Are you really putting money down?

Oxn

Also, my brother-in-law has a Subaru Legacy and NYC has turned the car into a piece of shit tin can in less than 4 years.

I dont quite understand what this means. Does the streets of NYC somehow effect Subaru's worst than other cars?

The Q50 (I've had them as loaners) only had software issues early on. They've been updated and respond fairly well now. Newer years are even better. The only thing is there is about a 30 second full boot time require for every system to work smoothly. Otherwise if you start messing with the AC immediately and jumping through screens, then yeah it'll be slow until the Intel processor has fully booted up the OS.

If the Q50 isn't your cup of tea, look at the Acura TLX.

Again, leasing a Subaru is a terrible idea. I don't think you know what you're getting into. You can lease a LUXURY car for the money they're going to want for a WRX. Are you really putting money down?

I totally understand that there are luxury options out there that may be dollar for dollar a better car. it's just not exactly what I want. I drove a friends G35 before. Very nice car, and fast, but it was too smooth. I did not feel the speed, even if it was fast. but I am in no way saying no, it is after all my close 2nd option.

So, just as an update, the sales rep asked for my basic info, and will provide me with a lease quote. I'll let you know what they offer me.

ApharmdX

Banned
Ramsey Subaru?

I got mine at Hunt Valley Subaru in Maryland.

Have yall been following the news?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-f...orque-confirmed-you-will-not-be-disappointed/

2016-Ford-Focus-RS-1042-626x382.jpg

2016-Ford-Focus-RS-placement-626x382.jpg

I gotta learn how to drive a manual man.

That's a great amount of power but I couldn't live with the looks of that thing from day to day. It is a really hideous car and it doesn't scream "sporty" to me.

Every car with a following has it's fair share of tools. However, most people tracking in the race groups have gotten past all that and focus on improving their driving and the banter is pretty friendly with no hurt feelings. Beginner and intermediate groups generally have some people with large manufacturer chips on their shoulders.

Going to cars and coffee events is where you'll see the ignorant bravado mainly. You got a pretty even mix of chill people and elitists who shun anything not their brand. I've gone to two cars and coffee events and I don't see myself going back. I will miss the made up stats on the stop though. Amuses me that people do that in the day of smartphones.

2SeeKU

Hi Everyone,

The dealer listed the MSRP as $32k.
Since it is the 2015 model, and the 2016s just came out, I was hoping they would give a good deal, something along the lines of LEASING at a final value of ~$30k

So this is a deal Im hoping I can hash out.
$3000 down
$265 per month for 36 months = $9540 + $3000 = $12,540 over 3 years.
Option to buy at the end of the lease for ~$18k

Assuming everything works out, and I buy at the end of the lease that works out to $30,540.
Is this a fair assessment? Think I can work out a deal like this?

Also one last question, why do people Finance a car instead of Lease with an option to buy? Obviously there should be cost benefits to it, but what are they?

This can possibly be my first new car. My one and only car that I have owned is a salvaged title 2000 Altima. I never imagined myself going for a new car, but WRX is my car goal, and I would never want to buy a performance vehicle 2nd hand, So Im a little excited for this possibility. If they do shoot down my offer or an offer very close to this, then I can wait for the 2016 model, or go 2nd hand G37x

I'm not sure you can get $2K knocked off, but l managed to get the price from $43,800 AUD down to $42K with a few options thrown in (STi short shifter, Tint, Roof racks and bike holders, mats e.c.t). This was a car they had on the lot (not a demo though) so I assumed they were more motivated to sell.

Considering it's your second car, l would actually recommend picking up a second hand WRX (or the G37x) in a manual IF you want to drive stick one day. I couldn't drive a manual until I bought one which obviously forced me to learn. Yeah l stalled a lot but who cares!

In terms of second hand sports cars, as long as the car has been looked after, you shouldn't have much to worry about. I've owned a second hand RX8, WRX and 200sx without issues.

AlphaSnake

I dont quite understand what this means. Does the streets of NYC somehow effect Subaru's worst than other cars?

I totally understand that there are luxury options out there that may be dollar for dollar a better car. it's just not exactly what I want. I drove a friends G35 before. Very nice car, and fast, but it was too smooth. I did not feel the speed, even if it was fast. but I am in no way saying no, it is after all my close 2nd option.

So, just as an update, the sales rep asked for my basic info, and will provide me with a lease quote. I'll let you know what they offer me.

Some cars are built better than others. Subarus are built okay, but are very tin-can like. From the doors, to the suspension. His Legacy's suspension is worn out, it rides awful and rough, and it only has ~55K miles on it. Opening and closing doors feels like an old lower-end American car - they're light, thin, fragile, and cheap feeling. Feels more like a 2000s Impala, than a Japanese car.

Altimas and Accords are faaaaaar more premium in that regard, they ride better and feel better built. But they don't come in AWD.

Ultimately, it's your money, do as you wish with it. But from experience, Subarus in rough terrain areas won't age well.

Also, aim for BELOW invoice price on the car especially with 2016 models on the way. It is exactly a $2000 difference between MSRP.

Shapingo

I'd honestly say that around 30 grand the Forester XT is the better buy. (same engine and transmission as the cvt WRX plus better cargo room) One flash from a Cobb access port will make the car a sleeper.

The WRX lacks low end power, you honestly will feel slow off the line with the cvt.

You said are in New York - not sure where, but Ramsey Subaru in northern Jersey sells WRX's for $500 below invoice. My base model was less than $25000 otd.

Outside of PCA, most Porsche owners aren't car people, they're status people and have no clue how well their car drives.

PCA can be a little bit pretentious as well, but to be honest so can a bunch of hellaflush Miata clubs. People can use any excuse to look down on other people.

Oh yeah, there are definitely a few PCA members who are arguing incessantly about whether the Turbo S was better off with AWD instead of RWD and things along of that nature. But the Maverick region is full of old-timers who really just like to drive the hell out of their cars and are overall nice car enthusiasts.

And yes, I fncking hate those hellaflush Miata clubs... then again I just hate the entire hellaflush culture lol. But the Miata clubs especially since they just ruin the entire purpose of the car.

Sure your car looks cool sitting in a parking lot, but can your stretched tires keep up with me in a race?

Well ofcourse.n im just the type that like to think of all the scenarios before persuing

There is no way inwouldnt test drive

While this is a good approach, I guarantee you... it won't work.

For example, I can list you all of my issues with the Evo X, 911/Cayman, Miata, WRX/STi, and every other car out there that I could potentially buy. But once I finally get my hands on it with a test drive, I guarantee you that there will be at least one thing that'll break my criteria and emotionally decide why I need this and my brain will do all the mental gymnastics to justify the car for me.

And this is kinda what I'm seeing from all your posts. It seems like you're really dead set on getting the WRX and that's fine so let me be that buddy I was talking about in my previous post...

We've listed reasons explaining why it might not be a great car in terms of feel, function and above all, financial reasons. Yet it seems like you've made up your mind and no matter what we say, you're not gonna change that so why do you really want the WRX out of everything else available?

Write short and concise or if you want to answer this in essay length paragraphs, go ahead, I'll read it if nobody else will.

boltz

It really is. I dont know how to drive a manual. I dont know anyone who knows how to drive a manual besides my in law, and i live in NYC

Besides i heard that if there was ever a CVT that someone would like, it would be the one in the WRX

As for my leasing response above. Its a bit confusing right now. One online lease calculator tells me a different story from the next

Check out this review of the CVT version: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-subaru-wrx-automatic-test-review. As AlphaSnake mentioned, you're going to be losing a good chunk of speed and are paying more for it. And while we're on the topic of an affordable auto, do you have any interest in a GTI?

AlphaSnake

Check out this review of the CVT version: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-subaru-wrx-automatic-test-review. As AlphaSnake mentioned, you're going to be losing a good chunk of speed and are paying more for it. And while we're on the topic of an affordable auto, do you have any interest in a GTI?

Wtf...the car actually counts what fake "gear" the transmission is in even when it's in auto and not being shifted manually?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUBOWRi5j4Q

This is some kind of a joke.

Jackson

Learning stick won't take you long. A few days max.

But if you must get an auto CVT on a sports car is really a bad idea. CVT is all about simplicity and fuel economy for the driver. Those two things are antithetical to car enthusiasts. So asking car peeps online will elicit this response.

WRX + CVT is a weird combo. They fight each other. If you want a sports car and no manual then look into flappy paddles maybe?

The GTI is a great suggestion, the automatic DSG is reallllly good.

Wtf...the car actually counts what fake "gear" the transmission is in even when it's in auto and not being shifted manually?

Not only that, but when you "downshift" using paddles it takes like 2-3 seconds for anything to happen and doesn't actually feel like a downshift, no engine braking or anything like that. It's just weird.

2SeeKU

I don't think l could get the manual to 100km/h much faster. The biggest reason l enjoy the manual is the ability to drop back a gear and give it a boot, something the CVT probably can't do?

It is interesting to see it just stick to about 5.5K RPM too. Must be a weird feeling l'd imagine.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
CVT's while unresponsive as fuck as good for MPG, if you care about that stuff.
I don't mind it in some cheap cars. That;s like expecting to go packaged a sushi roll to be the same as in a legit sushi bar.

Oxn

Lease 2015 wrx
Then buy used G37x

While this is a good approach, I guarantee you... it won't work.

For example, I can list you all of my issues with the Evo X, 911/Cayman, Miata, WRX/STi, and every other car out there that I could potentially buy. But once I finally get my hands on it with a test drive, I guarantee you that there will be at least one thing that'll break my criteria and emotionally decide why I need this and my brain will do all the mental gymnastics to justify the car for me.

And this is kinda what I'm seeing from all your posts. It seems like you're really dead set on getting the WRX and that's fine so let me be that buddy I was talking about in my previous post...

We've listed reasons explaining why it might not be a great car in terms of feel, function and above all, financial reasons. Yet it seems like you've made up your mind and no matter what we say, you're not gonna change that so why do you really want the WRX out of everything else available?

Write short and concise or if you want to answer this in essay length paragraphs, go ahead, I'll read it if nobody else will.

I dont know how you came to this conclusion based on what I wrote, but it is not even close to being the case. I am not dead set on a CVT WRX at all. I havent even gone for the test drive yet.

And if you check my post above, I said a used G37X was a close 2nd choice.

Evo X

Doh, what happened to Evo X to get banned? I will miss his commentary and car pics in our excellent automotive thread. I hope it is just a temp ban.

24 hour ban for apparently, "lazy trolling in the Halo thread." lol

Never going back there again.

On topic, there is going to be a car show this Saturday and looking to be a great turnout. My friend will be bringing his new 458 Speciale, which I can't wait to take out for a spin. It's probably my favorite car in the world right now.

Will try to get some good pics of any cool cars that show up.

ApharmdX

Banned

I might have missed if you addressed this earlier in the thread, but why not look at the VW GTI or the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart? Both cars are turbocharged, and both cars offer a dual-clutch gearbox that is far better than the CVT in the WRX. And either option is at least as quick as the CVT WRX, I think? The Ralliart even has AWD.

I'm biased against CVTs myself. Before a WRX I had a V6 Altima coupe with a CVT. I learned to drive manual after buying my WRX, mostly by watching Youtube videos. The first week sucked but you'll learn quick to where it's second nature.

Oxn

I might have missed if you addressed this earlier in the thread, but why not look at the VW GTI or the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart? Both cars are turbocharged, and both cars offer a dual-clutch gearbox that is far better than the CVT in the WRX. And either option is at least as quick as the CVT WRX, I think? The Ralliart even has AWD.

I'm biased against CVTs myself. Before a WRX I had a V6 Altima coupe with a CVT. I learned to drive manual after buying my WRX, mostly by watching Youtube videos. The first week sucked but you'll learn quick to where it's second nature.

Im not into hatchbacks, but I am considering the GLI though.

216.gif

I understand if it's a torque converter or a DCT but on a CVT with 1 gear??

My brain can't even comprehend this right now.

I dont know how you came to this conclusion based on what I wrote, but it is not even close to being the case. I am not dead set on a CVT WRX at all. I havent even gone for the test drive yet.

And if you check my post above, I said a used G37X was a close 2nd choice.

2 weeks ago that's all you've been talking about and it wasn't until yesterday when you finally decided on the WRX CVT and everyone else started giving their input.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you clearly are inexperienced in the whole car buying experience, but that's why a lot of us are trying to help you out man. We want you in a car that you can truly appreciate, something that years later you're not going to regret one bit.

For example, you already sent a dealer your info even though you've never seen the car with your own two eyes... you NEVER give a dealer your info especially if it's a lower priced car like a Honda, Subaru, Mazda... you get my drift. Now if it was a Porsche or something that is actually produced in limited numbers, then yes you have no choice but to do that. But on a Subaru? Not only did you hurt your credit rating by a couple of points, but you're basically in their system and they're not gonna take you off that unless you buy a car from there or you ask them to take it off.

What you're supposed to do is ask for a price quote, and if they can't give you that without having your information then I'd advise to stay the fnck away from there. Hell, you don't even need to get a price quote these days. Go to their website and use Edmunds True Market Value and you'll be able to see what other dealers/buyers are selling/paying for the car you specifically want. And use this as leverage if the dealer prices it higher compared to the TMV.

And as for test driving a car... yeah, definitely get on that. I'm a year out from buying my new car and I'm already planning to take a week off from work that way I can spend an entire week test driving an Evo X, ND Miata, 911/Cayman, STi/BRZ, Mustang, or whatever else comes up. Then on Saturday of that same week, I'll head to the dealer who has the car that I want and start negotiating from there.

Like I've been saying before, you're not at the mercy of the car dealerships, they're the ones who are at your mercy. Any good dealership is willing to do everything they can to get a sale from you but if you come in at this not prepared, then they're gonna pounce on you like an animal.

On topic, there is going to be a car show this Saturday and looking to be a great turnout. My friend will be bringing his new 458 Speciale, which I can't wait to take out for a spin. It's probably my favorite car in the world right now.

Cars and Coffee of wherever you are? Lol.

I'm actually planning to go to C&C Dallas this weekend as well. I've already bought a handheld camera stabilizer so expect to see some videos by next week.

Not sure what cars are gonna show up though. But since it is July 4th, I wouldn't mind seeing some pure American muscle.

matmanx1

How about a pre-owned one? Of either the IS or the G37/Q50? It would be a purchase and not a lease but you generally get more for your money that way since the large initial depreciation has already taken place.

I think he means the potholes, rough pavement and generally crappy shape of the roads.

Why a lease versus a purchase? Especially if you have $3000 cash to put down. Depending on what you purchase you could own the car outright in 4 years or so and have equity in it towards something else.

24 hour ban for apparently, "lazy trolling in the Halo thread." lol

Never going back there again.

Welcome back. Glad it was just a temp ban. Looking forward to the pics of the 458.

And as for test driving a car... yeah, definitely get on that. I'm a year out from buying my new car and I'm already planning to take a week off from work that way I can spend an entire week test driving an Evo X, ND Miata, 911/Cayman, STi/BRZ, Mustang, or whatever else comes up. Then on Saturday of that same week, I'll head to the dealer who has the car that I want and start negotiating from there.

This. Exact. Advice.

When I was narrowing it down (among the same price range you're looking at!), I drove 16 cars in one day - even though I had driven some of them before. Driving them all back to back is tiring, but you get a much better sense of how they immediately compare when everything is fresh in your mind. Then go home, check your notes, discuss with your S/O if needed, and then go back out to buy.

EDIT: did anyone else catch the news that the IS 250 is being replaced by the IS 200t? Glad to see that turbo mill making the rounds. They should have put it under the hood of the Scion iM :\

AlphaSnake

This. Exact. Advice.

When I was narrowing it down (among the same price range you're looking at!), I drove 16 cars in one day - even though I had driven some of them before. Driving them all back to back is tiring, but you get a much better sense of how they immediately compare when everything is fresh in your mind. Then go home, check your notes, discuss with your S/O if needed, and then go back out to buy.

EDIT: did anyone else catch the news that the IS 250 is being replaced by the IS 200t? Glad to see that turbo mill making the rounds. They should have put it under the hood of the Scion iM :\

Yeah, but did you catch how slow it is? 0-60 in 7 seconds. That's pretty awful.

BMW 328i does it in the 5s. Lexus is pitifully slow by comparison.

Yup. And if you're okay with that 7 second time, you can drop down to a 320i and save yourself four grand versus the Lexus.

matmanx1

I don't think your average Lexus buyer is all that concerned with 0-60 times. I know when I purchased my IS250 several years back it was because I wanted an upscale, quiet DD that both my wife and I could drive without any reliability hassles. I picked it over a 328i coupe that was a grand less expensive because "fun to drive" and "performance" weren't really a factor for us at that point.

It served us well for a couple of years and did exactly what it was supposed to do. And with the AWD ours was more like 0-60 in nearly 8 seconds. A 7 second time could be seen as a large improvement! (sort of kidding)

rokkerkory

This. Exact. Advice.

Yeah, thank god Lexus is getting rid of that anemic 2.5 v6 engine.

2.0t will be lovely in this car!

Oxn

The CVT is dogshit in the WRX. It's over 1 second slower to 60MPH than a manual.

Also, if you live in NYC, don't lease a Subaru - they lease like garbage. You'll be paying way too much. If you want sporty AWD, lease a Q50 for around $350 with $0 out of pocket at signing.

Also, you never put a large downpayment on a lease. $3000 is way too much. You are burning money. All your doing is minimizing your payments, it does nothing for the final worth of the vehicle if you decide to buy out. Keep that 3K as a cushion. Also, if the car gets totaled, you just lost $3000.

Also, lease calculators do not work because all leases are determined by a bank and not a calculator.

216.gif

I understand if it's a torque converter or a DCT but on a CVT with 1 gear??

My brain can't even comprehend this right now.

2 weeks ago that's all you've been talking about and it wasn't until yesterday when you finally decided on the WRX CVT and everyone else started giving their input.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you clearly are inexperienced in the whole car buying experience, but that's why a lot of us are trying to help you out man. We want you in a car that you can truly appreciate, something that years later you're not going to regret one bit.

For example, you already sent a dealer your info even though you've never seen the car with your own two eyes... you NEVER give a dealer your info especially if it's a lower priced car like a Honda, Subaru, Mazda... you get my drift. Now if it was a Porsche or something that is actually produced in limited numbers, then yes you have no choice but to do that. But on a Subaru? Not only did you hurt your credit rating by a couple of points, but you're basically in their system and they're not gonna take you off that unless you buy a car from there or you ask them to take it off.

What you're supposed to do is ask for a price quote, and if they can't give you that without having your information then I'd advise to stay the fnck away from there. Hell, you don't even need to get a price quote these days. Go to their website and use Edmunds True Market Value and you'll be able to see what other dealers/buyers are selling/paying for the car you specifically want. And use this as leverage if the dealer prices it higher compared to the TMV.

Like I've been saying before, you're not at the mercy of the car dealerships, they're the ones who are at your mercy. Any good dealership is willing to do everything they can to get a sale from you but if you come in at this not prepared, then they're gonna pounce on you like an animal.

Cars and Coffee of wherever you are? Lol.

I'm actually planning to go to C&C Dallas this weekend as well. I've already bought a handheld camera stabilizer so expect to see some videos by next week.

Not sure what cars are gonna show up though. But since it is July 4th, I wouldn't mind seeing some pure American muscle.

Huh? All i gave them was my zip code, what type of car i would trade in, and how many miles i expect to drive annually, and they have my secondary email on file. I wouldnt call that being in theiir system.....

I think you keep jumping to too many conclusions about what im thinking of doing. I appreciate all the car advice, but i was only interested in a financial stand point.

Again i am not dead set on a cvt wrx at all.

But i think ive gathered enough help on the subject. Thank you all.

kagete

Alpha already said it in the thread but definitely BUY a Subaru instead of leasing it. How it usually goes is you get it for 30-32k out the door, and then 3 years later you want to get something else and then find out that someone is willing to pay 25k for your 3 year old car.

So after 3 years, you only paid 5 to 7k to drive a brand new car? That's only around $150-200 a month, which beats any lease. Resale value to boy racers and yuppies, its what makes a Subaru a Subaru

Top Bottom