• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Same conflict here. I went from a Toyota into Mazda into the 86 and also own a Subaru, so I want all parties to succeed. Toyota has all the money, Mazda apparently has the platform and weight savings, and Subaru has the manufacturing capacity and the boxer to keep the weight down low.

The RX-7 will never happen because rotaries are going to have an uphill battle meeting worldwide emissions standards, but if a higher-power Miata came out of the profits? That would be fantastic.

This is tough, because the Toyota of 1990 could have easily built this car. But the Toyota of 2015 doesn't have the vision or the brain trust. Toyoda himself may be a car guy, but without Subaru the car would have never happened.

I disagree about the RX-7 successor. It is still in development and IIRC they were talking about doing it similar to the current NSX. I think it can be done IMO... whether they do it similar to the NSX or some new technology we'll see in a few years.

But I agree with everything else.

Toyota doesn't just have the ability to build a pure bred sports car these days. The Lexus F guys could potentially do it, but all they did was stick a monster V8 in the IS-F and Yamaha helped in building the LFA's engine. Plus, if we look at the RC-F coupe... all hope would be lost lol.

mkenyon

Banned
Is the new WRX is a good daily driver? Im prolly not gonna be able to afford it but im wondering if the ride is too harsh and loud
I went 2004 WRX -> Outback -> Forrester -> EX35. After getting in my pal's new WRX on stock suspension, the road noise and bumpiness on the highway was enough to put me off from wanting one as a DD. But, I've been spoiled recently, so who knows.

I disagree about the RX-7 successor. It is still in development and IIRC they were talking about doing it similar to the current NSX. I think it can be done IMO... whether they do it similar to the NSX or some new technology we'll see in a few years.

But I agree with everything else.

Toyota doesn't just have the ability to build a pure bred sports car these days. The Lexus F guys could potentially do it, but all they did was stick a monster V8 in the IS-F and Yamaha helped in building the LFA's engine. Plus, if we look at the RC-F coupe... all hope would be lost lol.

So disappointing. I think it looks incredible, shame about how it actually is as a sports car. It's a repeat of the SC series.

acksman

Bought a 2015 Sonata for my wife. She will keep it at least 6 years, so their warranty of 10/100 bumper to bumper is one of the main reasons I go with Hyundai for her. I agree it is a boring car, but very solid and functional.

So disappointing. I think it looks incredible, shame about how it actually is as a sports car. It's a repeat of the SC series.

Yep. It's one of the best looking Lexi in recent times(last one being the IS200/Altezza).

Their prices are super inflated too, a lot of the F-sport models are reaching RC-F levels(60K+) and I don't get that. Both are neither are 4-series and M fighters and the fact that they're super expensive baffles me.

At 50K I'd rather buy a brand new Boxster or Cayman imo.

FStop7

Banned
Yeah it is, but that's why I like it!

The AMG GT-S is in a different price category though. $55k price difference on just the base MSRP is a massive gulf. (actually it's two Golfs! har har!)

The McLaren's definitely more exciting than the 911 Turbo S and the R8 V10.

There's also a 540C coming, I see.

I think they could benefit from slowing down the new model introductions or making them a bit more distinct.

On another note, a friend of mine has been really encouraging me to look into finding out if it's possible to import one of these to the USA:

2.jpg

Renault Clio Williams. One of the hot hatch legends of the 90s. She swears up and down this is one of the most fun cars you'll ever drive. She's driven pretty much everything there is, so I believe it.

Yep. It's one of the best looking Lexi in recent times(last one being the IS200/Altezza).

Their prices are super inflated too, a lot of the F-sport models are reaching RC-F levels(60K+) and I don't get that. Both are neither are 4-series and M fighters and the fact that they're super expensive baffles me.

At 50K I'd rather buy a brand new Boxster or Cayman imo.

It's ironic - they've been redoing their line up to appeal more to younger buyers than the classic older Lexus crowd. But the RC series and the others still only seem to be for that crowd. Powerful and luxurious, but comfortable. Younger people want better driving dynamics.

Hopefully they can get to where they'd like to be.

On another note, a friend of mine has been really encouraging me to look into finding out if it's possible to import one of these to the USA:

2.jpg

Renault Clio Williams. One of the hot hatch legends of the 90s. She swears up and down this is one of the most fun cars you'll ever drive. She's driven pretty much everything there is, so I believe it.

Not until 2018.

Dont buy a Hyundai.

The 4 cylinders have problems with the engine rings eating in the bore, destroying the main bearings and contaminating the oil.

Hyundai wont cover it under their warranty either.

matmanx1

On another topic... I'm kinda obsessed with the McLaren 570S after my test drive of the 12C.

V8 TT with sports exhausts sounds really good! (And Jensen Button is behind the wheel at Goodwood)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efNdDIlmp3g

Of the "daily driver" sub-$200k car category where the Porsche 911 Turbo S, Audi R8 V10 Plus, Maserati GranTursimo MC and Aston V12 Vantage S all live I think if you want a bonkers looking exotic that can take you on a road trip, a night out or a track day the 570S takes the cake.

It has more legroom, slightly higher ground clearance, more trunk space and lower tub sills (to get in and out) than any previous McLaren.

And aside from the P1 it looks incredible.

For the price... I dunno, it seems like a super bargain. It looks to compete up a rung with the Huracans and 458s than down a notch into the mini-super cars of the 911s/R8s where its price point is.

17213589811_04bcf89e17_c.jpg

16591717794_d6cd6c17d8_c.jpg

16591708474_da83ca913d_c.jpg

17213606671_28000a35f5_c.jpg

16593966293_75316f5d79_c.jpg

17006750037_2ecd63b295_c.jpg

17006754197_c368e28c39_c.jpg

Also...

PJjvrH3.gif

I love it and I love the color. It would definitely stand out and be awesome and supposedly McLaren makes a sports car that is also a decent road car (not that I have any practical experience).

Sold for a price to go $16k for 2008 335XI with 115KM's with major repairs done. I'll miss the drive but wont miss the maintenance, jesus christ.

1eFGvFh99XsKt-dHeq59QCEZqqKkzdCIBKG-8_PugBzA=w399-h705-no

jBX8nGI.png

As a new'ish BMW owner I have to ask: What kind of maintenance and repairs did you have to do to it recently? I know the turbo cars can be a pain and very expensive when something breaks. Also, what are you replacing it with?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I love it and I love the color. It would definitely stand out and be awesome and supposedly McLaren makes a sports car that is also a decent road car (not that I have any practical experience).

As a new'ish BMW owner I have to ask: What kind of maintenance and repairs did you have to do to it recently? I know the turbo cars can be a pain and very expensive when something breaks. Also, what are you replacing it with?

Having owned a 335i Coupe, the most common are: fuel pumps, Injectors, Turbos, Water pump assembly, alternator, batteries (not quite as cheap and simple on a BMW), wastegate, early coil pack failures, which leads to early spark plug failure, throttle body/intake issues, headlamp issues (failed projector motors with leveling bi-xenons), iDrive glitches...I could go on.

You have a base 128i, so I wouldn't worry about the electrical stuff. But it's only a matter of time until your radio display turns into a pixilated mess.

BMWPixelRepair1S.jpg

Weeeeaaaak. I wonder if Toyota is holding them back.

They are.

I believe the sell ratio between the BRZ and FRS is like 8:2 or some absurd number that basically says Toyota gets to sell more of the twins instead of Subaru.

If they go full BRZ STi on it, that ratio would instantly flip and then Toyota would get pissy.

matmanx1

Having owned a 335i Coupe, the most common are: fuel pumps, Injectors, Turbos, Water pump assembly, alternator, batteries (not quite as cheap and simple on a BMW), wastegate, early coil pack failures, which leads to early spark plug failure, throttle body/intake issues, headlamp issues (failed projector motors with leveling bi-xenons), iDrive glitches...I could go on.

You have a base 128i, so I wouldn't worry about the electrical stuff. But it's only a matter of time until your radio display turns into a pixilated mess.

BMWPixelRepair1S.jpg

That's ok. I wear polarized sunglasses when I drive most of the time so it's not like I can read the display anyway! And yeah, hopefully the 128i will avoid most of that stuff but I've already had to repair two small oil leaks so you never know.

I'm willing to pay more in maintenance and repair (up to a point) just because I find the driving experience to be so good but past a certain threshold it will be time to make an exit strategy. I'm just not sure what I would find in the same price range (15k) that would be nearly so good all around.

The 128i is quick, reasonably light, comfortable, quiet, handles well, shifts and steers well and has plenty of room for my wife and I (we just got back from vacation in it and it was a great roadtrip car). Most everything else I've looked at might be stronger in an area or two but also noticeably worse in other areas.

LOL.

I just realized I got my numbers backwards. Guess that's what happens when I haven't had a cup of coffee haha.

Regardless, it still is somewhat of an absurd number as the BRZ is the better car out of the two. I guess Toyota is just too damn scared that nobody will buy the FRS if the ratio would flip.

That article is all doom and gloom though. I know sales have slowed down for the twins, but that makes it seem like it'll only last for at least 2 more years before the twins bite the dust.

Bingo.

AlphaSnake named every single component that broke down on my 335XI, not including the 4x4 sensor ($2k) and shocks and springs (another $2k).

My turbos did not blow (I'm sure they were about to give though..) but the noise of the turbo wastegate was driving me fucking insane. The only way to fix the turbo wastegate ticking noise issue was a) either live in the USA for a recall or b) pay to have your turbo's replaced. Nightmare.

I don't think I can ever purchase another BMW to be honest. I'm currently driving a GLK350 until I pick up something else next year.

2.jpg

My friend has one and it's an epic ride, I've never driven it though. I have a Clio 182 myself.

Also, the Williams' have the most comfortable seats ever.

matmanx1

I think it is generally acknowledged that the BRZ has slightly better interior materials and feels a little bit more upscale on the inside. Overall they should be very close though.

Makki

I think it is generally acknowledged that the BRZ has slightly better interior materials and feels a little bit more upscale on the inside. Overall they should be very close though.
They receive the same attention to the interior if you compare the limited premium trims of FRS with the BRZ limited. Both have dual climate, pads, good sized radio... And the FRS has a built in amplifier, but the BRZ has a trunk liner OMG.
Only other difference is mustache or no mustache on the bumper and that the FRS tends to oversteer more. Oh and for this year FRS' have rear view cameras

It's only recently that Scion stepped up their interior game due to hearing complaints and comparisons from journos and buyers.

The FRS were the only ones that had the shit interior. Both the GT86 and BRZ were equals interior wise and I guess in a bid to reduce the price of the FRS Scion initially stripped the interior down a little bit.

Other than the interior, I've read that the BRZ is much more neutral handling compared to the FRS' drifty nature.

Anyway, washed my car today. Texas heat still fncking kills even though I had a fan blowing the hot air out.

But also, orbital buffers... I shed a manly tear when it took me 30 minutes to detail the entire exterior of my Miata. It usually takes me more than an hour by hand. I can't believe I've been waxing/detailing my car like a caveman the last few years... orbital buffers are where it's at.

It's only recently that Scion stepped up their interior game due to hearing complaints and comparisons from journos and buyers.

The FRS were the only ones that had the shit interior. Both the GT86 and BRZ were equals interior wise and I guess in a bid to reduce the price of the FRS Scion initially stripped the interior down a little bit.

This is probably in reference to the knee and speaker pads that Scion added for 2014. Which - surprise! - the US BRZ didn't have either.

Other than the interior, I've read that the BRZ is much more neutral handling compared to the FRS' drifty nature.

Yup, and the FR-S rides like garbage compared to the BRZ. Was a tradeoff I was willing to make, but absolutely see why folks would prefer the BRZ - it's much calmer at any speed.

But also, orbital buffers... I shed a manly tear when it took me 30 minutes to detail the entire exterior of my Miata. It usually takes me more than an hour by hand. I can't believe I've been waxing/detailing my car like a caveman the last few years... orbital buffers are where it's at.

What brand and model are you using? Thinking of getting a Ryobi one, although reviews aren't great. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-10-in-Orbital-Buffer-RB102G/205642375

This is probably in reference to the knee and speaker pads that Scion added for 2014. Which - surprise! - the US BRZ didn't have either.

Yup, and the FR-S rides like garbage compared to the BRZ. Was a tradeoff I was willing to make, but absolutely see why folks would prefer the BRZ - it's much calmer at any speed.

What brand and model are you using? Thinking of getting a Ryobi one, although reviews aren't great. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-10-in-Orbital-Buffer-RB102G/205642375

So from that, I guess you could say that USA-bound Toyobaru's weren't really a match with the international version? That's pretty interesting imo. I thought the whole idea behind the joint Toyobaru was to reduce cost.

How bad is it compared to the BRZ? I drove an FRS years ago and it felt somewhat similar to when my Miata still had the stock suspension.

As for the orbital buffer, don't even waste your time and money with the better brands... just waltz into your local Harbor Freight and get this: 90219 or 69487. Both are pretty much the same product, except 69487 doesn't have the terry cloth bonnets so you need to buy those. Pair that up with their 20% coupon and you'll walk away thinking that you just stole that shit. I paid literally $20 bucks for the orbital buffer and bonnets.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Bingo.

AlphaSnake named every single component that broke down on my 335XI, not including the 4x4 sensor ($2k) and shocks and springs (another $2k).

My turbos did not blow (I'm sure they were about to give though..) but the noise of the turbo wastegate was driving me fucking insane. The only way to fix the turbo wastegate ticking noise issue was a) either live in the USA for a recall or b) pay to have your turbo's replaced. Nightmare.

I don't think I can ever purchase another BMW to be honest. I'm currently driving a GLK350 until I pick up something else next year.

Oh the sensors! Those are great. Oil sensor fails. Coolant sensor fails. Tire pressure sensors fail. The gloriously dreaded 4x4 error (I'm so sorry you experienced that). I've seen the fucking washer fluid and steering fluid sensors fail. I mean what the fuck? Is this just BMW's way of forcing you to rebuild a car or something? It's not an antique that needs restoration.

And the whole "technology fails" excuse they spew is absolutely horseshit. There's tons of tech out there in all sorts of other products, including cars, that lasts and last and lasts.

At some point I'd really like to try polishing and buffing my car but long story short I'm terrified of trying it. I've been watching a bunch of videos recently (not much else to do working a 5p-4a shift to babysit contractors) showing the steps but...still terrified.

It really doesn't look that hard but I can't shake the feeling that there are variables I'm just not aware of in terms of paint type, quality, finish, texture, etc. that would leave me fucking something up. Maybe I'll take a shot on the track car first to see how it goes. The paint looks terrible as it is and it's only worth a $300 respray if anything.

So from that, I guess you could say that USA-bound Toyobaru's weren't really a match with the international version? That's pretty interesting imo. I thought the whole idea behind the joint Toyobaru was to reduce cost.

They still managed to recoup a lot of costs by making them in one factory and mostly identical, nevermind that they aren't seriously altered for the US market like some cars (looking at you, Alfa 4C). But you're right - there are a lot of regional differences. The Japan-only cB being the strangest one.

How bad is it compared to the BRZ? I drove an FRS years ago and it felt somewhat similar to when my Miata still had the stock suspension.

I test drove three BRZs and four FR-Ses over the course of the last year. The FR-S I wound up with wasn't the harshest, but I think the demo that I drove had the TRD coilovers on it (and the salesman didn't realize it). All of the BRZs seemed softer, from slightly to very. This is all seat-of-the-pants, so don't take my word for it!

As for the orbital buffer, don't even waste your time and money with the better brands... just waltz into your local Harbor Freight and get this: 90219 or 69487. Both are pretty much the same product, except 69487 doesn't have the terry cloth bonnets so you need to buy those. Pair that up with their 20% coupon and you'll walk away thinking that you just stole that shit. I paid literally $20 bucks for the orbital buffer and bonnets.

Damn, that's a fantastic deal. Going to hit that up this weekend. Thanks!

Oxn

Nah itll be there monday. The internet sales person is pretty much emailing me every other day asking if im ready to purchase lol, after my first inquiry.

I heard the 2016 has a new nav system, and different wheels, and i think one other minor change.

But like i said, i really shouldnt be spending that much on acar for someone that doesnt drive much. So its a good thing if they dont lower it for me. But it just makes me wonder you know.

Im pretty much gonna stalk that page until its gone.

Dont think I can hold out much longer, Im just stalking that page multiple times a day.

I might give in and just lease the darn thing. If they dont give me a good discount I might as well go for the 2016 then.

Evo X

Saw a really nice black 911 at an intersection. We smiled and waved at each other.

A few minutes later I ran into a red Evo 8. He was behind me as we were turning left. I just gave it a bit of gas in 1st and let off so you could hear some sweet exhaust backfire. Thought he might appreciate a nice sports car owned by a fellow enthusiast. I was planning on talking to him at the next light about his mods and how I owned 2 Evos. Instead he just gave me a dirty look and did a ricer fly by. :(

Guess he assumed I was a typical Porsche asshole who was messing with him. lol

2SeeKU

Is the new WRX is a good daily driver? Im prolly not gonna be able to afford it but im wondering if the ride is too harsh and loud

It's good and the ride is fine, but l guess it depends on what you would compare it to. Also, at roughly $30K, it would have to tick a few other boxes for you (Turbo/Performance, utility, AWD e.c.t).

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. It's a great step up from the GT86.

Saw a really nice black 911 at an intersection. We smiled and waved at each other.

A few minutes later I ran into a red Evo 8. He was behind me as we were turning left. I just gave it a bit of gas in 1st and let off so you could hear some sweet exhaust backfire. Thought he might appreciate a nice sports car owned by a fellow enthusiast. I was planning on talking to him at the next light about his mods and how I owned 2 Evos. Instead he just gave me a dirty look and did a ricer fly by. :(

Aw that's no fun! Things like that make it apparent who's an actual car guy and who's doing it for cool points. It shouldn't be about image, it should be about fun and sharing the love of cars.

On that same point, leaving work Sunday night (Monday morning?) at 4am I got onto the highway right as a guy in a Boxster was cruising by at about 90. I don't think there was a single bone in his body that expected to be passed by a whale tail 911 but the dude loved it and we shot down the highway for a while before waving goodbye. I love those weird little experiences of car culture.

Guys in Cayennes that don't wave back can fuck right off, though, lemmetellya.

Oh the sensors! Those are great. Oil sensor fails. Coolant sensor fails. Tire pressure sensors fail. The gloriously dreaded 4x4 error (I'm so sorry you experienced that). I've seen the fucking washer fluid and steering fluid sensors fail. I mean what the fuck? Is this just BMW's way of forcing you to rebuild a car or something? It's not an antique that needs restoration.

And the whole "technology fails" excuse they spew is absolutely horseshit. There's tons of tech out there in all sorts of other products, including cars, that lasts and last and lasts.
It's really frustrating if I may say so myself. The worst is when you go to the dealer and they have no idea what they're talking about - it's not only embarrassing it's sad.

They're great cars when they function well, but I don't think I have the patience for it to constantly break so I can fix it. At worst I'll pick up a 320i base model with no options to break if I was forced a BMW.

Evo X

It's good and the ride is fine, but l guess it depends on what you would compare it to. Also, at roughly $30K, it would have to tick a few other boxes for you (Turbo/Performance, utility, AWD e.c.t).

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. It's a great step up from the GT86.

You got the best color for that car. I was just driving the new STI in the rally expansion in Forza Horizon 2 and it's awesome!

maxresdefault.jpg

Aw that's no fun! Things like that make it apparent who's an actual car guy and who's doing it for cool points. It shouldn't be about image, it should be about fun and sharing the love of cars.

On that same point, leaving work Sunday night (Monday morning?) at 4am I got onto the highway right as a guy in a Boxster was cruising by at about 90. I don't think there was a single bone in his body that expected to be passed by a whale tail 911 but the dude loved it and we shot down the highway for a while before waving goodbye. I love those weird little experiences of car culture.

Yeah, most of my experiences with other sports cars have been very positive. I don't know what the fuck was wrong with that guy. I wasn't taunting or racing him. Jealousy is a bad trait to have and gets you nowhere in life.

Whenever I see a car nicer than mine, I'm happy for that person and inspired to work harder to one day get it myself. I remember when I had my blue Evo 9, I went to a car meet and ended up doing a cruise to Wisconsin with the Lamborghini group. Instead of talking down to a kid in a lowly Mitsubishi like one might expect, they all turned out to be some of the nicest people I have ever met and huge car nuts. I didn't have a navigation or smart phone at the time, and this one lady in a Murcielago went out of her way to drive back to my area with me to make sure I made it back safely.

I don't even bother with Cayyenes and Panemeras. The people driving those don't really give a shit about Porsche's racing history. They just buy them because they're nice and have a prestigious badge.

Yeah, most of my experiences with other sports cars have been very positive. I don't know what the fuck was wrong with that guy. I wasn't taunting or racing him. Jealousy is a bad trait to have and gets you nowhere in life.

Whenever I see a car nicer than mine, I'm happy for that person and inspired to work harder to one day get it myself. I remember when I had my blue Evo 9, I went to a car meet and ended up doing a cruise to Wisconsin with the Lamborghini group. Instead of talking down to a kid in a lowly Mitsubishi like one might expect, they all turned out to be some of the nicest people I have ever met and huge car nuts. I didn't have a navigation or smart phone at the time, and this one lady in a Murcielago went out of her way to drive back to my area with me to make sure I made it back safely.

I don't even bother with Cayyenes and Panemeras. The people driving those don't really give a shit about Porsche's racing history. They just buy them because they're nice and have a prestigious badge.

Yeah I've gone to car meets where everyone is wonderful regardless of who's driving what, which has been especially true at track days. However I had one bad experience with some Lambo guys, it was a group called MOB INC, Men of Birmingham (Alabama) in Nice Cars, and for the most part they were dicks. At the time, 2008, I had a 2000 911 and one time I went to a meet (they were real public at a steakhouse off a main road) just to look at some cars. While I was there a Lambo owner came over, asked me what year my car was, says "huh", gives me a look and then walks off.

Fuck those guys. Of course I had gone by previously when it was threatening rain and it was just 911s, all the Ferrari and Lambo guys stayed home.

And don't be too mean to Cayennes, there was a guy in one who went nuts waving at me one time!

2SeeKU

You got the best color for that car. I was just driving the new STI in the rally expansion in Forza Horizon 2 and it's awesome!

Cheers! It was either this or black. I tried to order the BRZ back in 2013 in the same colour and was told it would be a 13 month wait here in Australia.

He probably felt like he had something to prove. I'm not sure why! I'm like you, l don't envy someone with a nicer car, they've either worked hard or have been fortunate enough.

Oxn

It does check all my boxes.

Would like a slightly nicer interior and a cheaper price for the limited, but everything else should suffix.

Ive loved WRX since Ive known about them as a teen.

Evo X

Yeah I've gone to car meets where everyone is wonderful regardless of who's driving what, which has been especially true at track days. However I had one bad experience with some Lambo guys, it was a group called MOB INC, Men of Birmingham (Alabama) in Nice Cars, and for the most part they were dicks. At the time, 2008, I had a 2000 911 and one time I went to a meet (they were real public at a steakhouse off a main road) just to look at some cars. While I was there a Lambo owner came over, asked me what year my car was, says "huh", gives me a look and then walks off.

Fuck those guys. Of course I had gone by previously when it was threatening rain and it was just 911s, all the Ferrari and Lambo guys stayed home.

And don't be too mean to Cayennes, there was a guy in one who went nuts waving at me one time!

First off, without knowing anything about them, "MOB INC" just sounds like it's going to be a group of douchebags.

And I suppose I should give guys in Cayennes a chance. Maybe their wives made them trade their sports cars in for one. lol

Bandit1

Your WRX looks great, I love the roof rack, it works very well with the lack of the STi spoiler, and the color is great too.

You can't always tell who's going to be cool and who's going to be a jerk. In my T/A I'll usually give and receive a wave from old muscle cars and hot rods. Biker guys are usually friendly. A lot of guys in 80s/90s Chevy trucks either compliment it or they rev their engine just to make sure I know that their exhaust is loud. And for some reason guys in Mustangs seem to be the ones who want to assert their dominance somehow, usually by stomping on the gas when we meet, whether they be V6, GT, or Cobra, tastefully modded, or 22" chrome wheels and "BEAST" across the windshield.

But the Porsche guys are the worst :p

They still managed to recoup a lot of costs by making them in one factory and mostly identical, nevermind that they aren't seriously altered for the US market like some cars (looking at you, Alfa 4C). But you're right - there are a lot of regional differences. The Japan-only cB being the strangest one.

I test drove three BRZs and four FR-Ses over the course of the last year. The FR-S I wound up with wasn't the harshest, but I think the demo that I drove had the TRD coilovers on it (and the salesman didn't realize it). All of the BRZs seemed softer, from slightly to very. This is all seat-of-the-pants, so don't take my word for it!

Damn, that's a fantastic deal. Going to hit that up this weekend. Thanks!

Ha. That Toyota cB is actually interesting... only because it kinda looks like a 2000GT.

Wait wait... there's an option to get an FRS with TRD coilovers? Not that I'd get it or anything, but I don't even see that on their website. Speaking of which, what the fnck is up with the terrible pics in their website? Was that made by some poor intern? Lol.

But the Porsche guys are the worst :p

I know it's tongue-in-cheek but this is unfortunately somewhat true. Lots of Porsche owners around here in DFW are douchebags... and of course most of these douches are those buying it only for the emblem.

On the flipside of things, the members of the PCA Maverick region are the nicest people I've ever met but of course these guys are the real car enthusiasts and I think it's kind of a requirement to be a nice person in order to stay a member lol.

I know it's tongue-in-cheek but this is unfortunately somewhat true. Lots of Porsche owners around here in DFW are douchebags... and of course most of these douches are those buying it only for the emblem.

On the flipside of things, the members of the PCA Maverick region are the nicest people I've ever met but of course these guys are the real car enthusiasts and I think it's kind of a requirement to be a nice person in order to stay a member lol.

What's kind of funny is that I don't know any typical Porsh-uh people. Maybe because I'm in an industry that's not so flush with cash that I'm working with people who can throw money at a 911 because they hear it's very nice.

I only end up meeting the club guys and enthusiasts, who are routinely wonderful.

DFW, or at least the Dallas side, is full of douchebags regardless of what they're driving. :p

Oxn

Hi Everyone,

I think Im going to give in and try to get a deal on a 2015 WRX Limited CVT. I like to have all my numbers in order before attempting to meet the dealer and negotiate. This will be my first time going to a dealership, and working this whole process, so I appreciate any help and guidance.

The dealer listed the MSRP as $32k.
Since it is the 2015 model, and the 2016s just came out, I was hoping they would give a good deal, something along the lines of LEASING at a final value of ~$30k

So this is a deal Im hoping I can hash out.
$3000 down
$265 per month for 36 months = $9540 + $3000 = $12,540 over 3 years.
Option to buy at the end of the lease for ~$18k

Assuming everything works out, and I buy at the end of the lease that works out to $30,540.
Is this a fair assessment? Think I can work out a deal like this?

Also one last question, why do people Finance a car instead of Lease with an option to buy? Obviously there should be cost benefits to it, but what are they?

This can possibly be my first new car. My one and only car that I have owned is a salvaged title 2000 Altima. I never imagined myself going for a new car, but WRX is my car goal, and I would never want to buy a performance vehicle 2nd hand, So Im a little excited for this possibility. If they do shoot down my offer or an offer very close to this, then I can wait for the 2016 model, or go 2nd hand G37x

Hi Everyone,

I think Im going to give in and try to get a deal on a 2015 WRX Limited CVT. I like to have all my numbers in order before attempting to meet the dealer and negotiate. This will be my first time going to a dealership, and working this whole process, so I appreciate any help and guidance.

The dealer listed the MSRP as $32k.
Since it is the 2015 model, and the 2016s just came out, I was hoping they would give a good deal, something along the lines of LEASING at a final value of ~$30k

So this is a deal Im hoping I can hash out.
$3000 down
$265 per month for 36 months = $9540 + $3000 = $12,540 over 3 years.
Option to buy at the end of the lease for ~$18k

Assuming everything works out, and I buy at the end of the lease that works out to $30,540.
Is this a fair assessment? Think I can work out a deal like this?

Also one last question, why do people Finance a car instead of Lease with an option to buy? Obviously there should be cost benefits to it, but what are they?

This can possibly be my first new car. My one and only car that I have owned is a salvaged title 2000 Altima. I never imagined myself going for a new car, but WRX is my car goal, and I would never want to buy a performance vehicle 2nd hand, So Im a little excited for this possibility. If they do shoot down my offer or an offer very close to this, then I can wait for the 2016 model, or go 2nd hand G37x

I feel your numbers are wishful thinking.

In the best case scenario, I see the dealer agreeing to $31,000 for the cap cost.

Current residual is 60% for wrx limited 12/36. Value of the car at the end is $18,600.

That make it $12,400 depreciation over 36 months. At a Money Factor of 0.00134, your monthly payment will be

(12,400/36) + (0.00134*(18600+31000)) + 6% sales tax ~= $435

If you have a down-payment of $3000,

that calculation becomes

(9,400/36) + (0.00134*(18600+31000)) + 6% sales tax ~= $347

This is not counting registration and other fees.

I believe Money Factors and Residuals are very hard (if not impossible) to negotiate.

Also, the down payment does not effect your interest at all. No point in a down payment, unless the dealer insists on it.

matmanx1

Doh, what happened to Evo X to get banned? I will miss his commentary and car pics in our excellent automotive thread. I hope it is just a temp ban.

Regarding BMW reliability: A lot of the issues that they seem to have just puzzle me. Obviously there are sensors, fuel pumps, injectors, shocks, gaskets, etc. that just go and go and go without failing but somehow BMW doesn't use them.

Is it because they use cheap(er) suppliers? Is it something in the way the cars are engineered? Or is it a lack of long term testing in all types of conditions? Or is it some of all of that?

I honestly don't know. But I do know that a great looking, great driving car only gets you so far in terms of customer goodwill. At some point poor quality and reliability is going to trump good driving and good looking.

Top Bottom