• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Oxn

Alpha already said it in the thread but definitely BUY a Subaru instead of leasing it. How it usually goes is you get it for 30-32k out the door, and then 3 years later you want to get something else and then find out that someone is willing to pay 25k for your 3 year old car.

So after 3 years, you only paid 5 to 7k to drive a brand new car? That's only around $150-200 a month, which beats any lease. Resale value to boy racers and yuppies, its what makes a Subaru a Subaru

Completely agree. I was thinking of going with lease with option to buy. I have the money to outright buy it, i just dont want to right now. I wanted a lower monthly payment right now which was why i considered that option

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Alpha already said it in the thread but definitely BUY a Subaru instead of leasing it. How it usually goes is you get it for 30-32k out the door, and then 3 years later you want to get something else and then find out that someone is willing to pay 25k for your 3 year old car.

So after 3 years, you only paid 5 to 7k to drive a brand new car? That's only around $150-200 a month, which beats any lease. Resale value to boy racers and yuppies, its what makes a Subaru a Subaru

Subarus don't depreciate as well as they claim they do. Especially not in NYC, where dealers will low-ball you every which way if you decide to trade.

kagete

Subarus don't depreciate as well as they claim they do. Especially not in NYC, where dealers will low-ball you every which way if you decide to trade.

Ahh NYC. Here in GA the resale on WRX is bonkers. A used 2012 or 2013 in the old bodystyle still sells at 26k, so I figure that's 23k on a trade-in.

ameratsu

Used WRX (and STi) prices are completely insane around here. I have no idea who is lining up to buy these used for exorbitant prices.

Like look at this shit

That's literally almost MSRP despite being 3 years old with 40000kms.

Oxn

Ahh NYC. Here in GA the resale on WRX is bonkers. A used 2012 or 2013 in the old bodystyle still sells at 26k, so I figure that's 23k on a trade-in.

Its crazy even in NYC. Dunno about the trade in price, but they selling price sure is. Hell im seeing 2015 models on the used market going for more than it being brand new.

I saw a new WRX in my color drive by yesterday as I was walking home, and I wanted to die.

I finally heard my intake today!!

Was getting on an on ramp and decided to downshift to 3rd and 5500rpms and man that exhaust and intake sounded like a a choir of angels singing heavenly praises lol. I was so absorbed in the sound and fury I ended up bouncing on the redline haha.

Sidenote: I don't think I can ever live with an automatic when moments like that exist. The act of a perfect downshift is on the same level as getting it in the hole for the very first time... If you catch my drift hahaha.

Oxn

I dont quite understand what this means. Does the streets of NYC somehow effect Subaru's worst than other cars?

I totally understand that there are luxury options out there that may be dollar for dollar a better car. it's just not exactly what I want. I drove a friends G35 before. Very nice car, and fast, but it was too smooth. I did not feel the speed, even if it was fast. but I am in no way saying no, it is after all my close 2nd option.

So, just as an update, the sales rep asked for my basic info, and will provide me with a lease quote. I'll let you know what they offer me.

The dream is dead, this was my preliminary quote for a LEASE!!!

$390 a month
#3044 due at signing, which includes plates, tax, bank fees, and 1st month payment

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

AlphaSnake

Dealer network for Subies is very small in NYC. Many of them owned by the same companies. As a result they keep prices inflated on trade-ins.

Same shit with Audis. For the longest time, all Audi dealers wanted like $40K for a 3-4 year old A5 3.2 that had 40K miles on its clock. The car was like $50K new with the same options. Dealers in NYC are among the shadiest.

AlphaSnake

The dream is dead, this was my preliminary quote for a LEASE!!!

$390 a month
#3044 due at signing, which includes plates, tax, bank fees, and 1st month payment

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Hate to say I told you so, but...I told you so. Subarus don't lease well at all. That's an effective payment of $475. You can lease a BMW 335i or 435i for that kind of change.

Go to an Infiniti dealership or Acura dealership. You can lease either the Q50 AWD or Acura TLX AWD for faaaaaar less if you negotiate properly.

Use TrueCar.com as a tool of what invoice price is on these cars. And also don't be afraid to have dealers chase after you by submitting a request via TrueCar.

Oxn

Hate to say I told you so, but...I told you so. Subarus don't lease well at all. That's an effective payment of $475. You can lease a BMW 335i or 435i for that kind of change.

Go to an Infiniti dealership or Acura dealership. You can lease either the Q50 AWD or Acura TLX AWD for faaaaaar less if you negotiate properly.

Use TrueCar.com as a tool of what invoice price is on these cars. And also don't be afraid to have dealers chase after you by submitting a request via TrueCar.

I think the $390 in his quote to me includes all taxes and fees, but still thats too much. I wouldve done (granted i test drove and liked the car) $350 a month tops (including all fees).

I use Cars.com, and I have been eyeing this 2012 G37x that is listed at $22,900. I put in an ofer online for $21k just to see what their response was to that number. They kindly declined, but they have been pretty much emailing and chasing me about it for a few weeks now even after declining me. So I'll see where that can go. Im in no rush.

AlphaSnake

I think the $390 in his quote to me includes all taxes and fees, but still thats too much. I wouldve done (granted i test drove and liked the car) $350 a month tops (including all fees).

I use Cars.com, and I have been eyeing this 2012 G37x that is listed at $22,900. I put in an ofer online for $21k just to see what their response was to that number. They kindly declined, but they have been pretty much emailing and chasing me about it for a few weeks now even after declining me. So I'll see where that can go. Im in no rush.

Let me explain why you aren't actually paying $390 a month. You still have to put down over $3000 out of pocket. Take that $3K and divide it by 36, and you get your effective payment, which is a massive $475.

Smart leasers always roll taxes into the payment. Never pay for something ahead of time. EVER. Unless you own it. That's the bottom line. Would you ever pay extra for your rent even if you don't have to? No. Don't put money down on a lease.

Pay your first payment + DMV + Bank fee upfront. Roll everything else into payment. You shouldn't be paying more than ~$1300-1500 upon delivery.

Oxn

Let me explain why you aren't actually paying $390 a month. You still have to put down over $3000 out of pocket. Take that $3K and divide it by 36, and you get your effective payment, which is a massive $475.

Smart leasers always roll taxes into the payment. Never pay for something ahead of time. EVER. Unless you own it. That's the bottom line. Would you ever pay extra for your rent even if you don't have to? No. Don't put money down on a lease.

Pay your first payment + DMV + Bank fee upfront. Roll everything else into payment. You shouldn't be paying more than ~$1300-1500 upon delivery.

Nah I thought you meant $475 PLUS the down payment. Yea i aint paying either of those.

216.gif

I understand if it's a torque converter or a DCT but on a CVT with 1 gear??

My brain can't even comprehend this right now.

Well yeah, that's how CVTs work! It's technically not one gear, it's an infinite amount of possible gear ratios that lets you use the most "efficient" part of the powerband all the time.

They include fake simulated gears for the paddles but they're ass. Take forever to "downshift/upshift" and you don't really get the engine brake feeling. It's all wrong.

Well yeah, that's how CVTs work! It's technically not one gear, it's an infinite amount of possible gear ratios that lets you use the most "efficient" part of the powerband all the time.

They include fake simulated gears for the paddles but they're ass. Take forever to "downshift/upshift" and you don't really get the engine brake feeling. It's all wrong.

This got me thinking... Why don't they have infinite gear ratios?

It seems counter-productive to restrict yourself with 6 or 8 just to imitate an actual gear based transmission.

AlphaSnake

It seems counter-productive to restrict yourself with 6 or 8 just to imitate an actual gear based transmission.

Because there is still a final drive ratio that the CVT gearbox and its logic has to adhere to. Until manufacturers start making variable FDs at the axles, CVTs will continue on like this.

Pretty sure they do? That's why you can go from 0-100 all the way at 5k RPM and it keeps accelerating. The fake gears are literally just there to make the car feel familiar, and that's only when you use the paddles. Honestly I can't understand for the life of me what Subaru was thinking putting that thing in the WRX.

Pretty sure they do? That's why you can go from 0-100 all the way at 5k RPM and it keeps accelerating. The fake gears are literally just there to make the car feel familiar, and that's only when you use the paddles. Honestly I can't understand for the life of me what Subaru was thinking putting that thing in the WRX.

Because 95% of WRXs are purchased by that guy from the IT department, and that guy loves gadgets.

AlphaSnake

Because 95% of WRXs are purchased by that guy from the IT department, and that guy loves gadgets.

Subarus don't have gadgets, though.

I think you meant boring architects and accountants? The demographic Saab once dominated.

So about that warranty...

11386480_1015726115104872_1274804224_n.jpg

I pretty much dropped a couple grand buying up parts... This was one of the first things I picked up (today). I plan to install it all next spring and get a pro tune.

Used WRX (and STi) prices are completely insane around here. I have no idea who is lining up to buy these used for exorbitant prices.

Like look at this shit

That's literally almost MSRP despite being 3 years old with 40000kms.

I seriously got the deal of a lifetime. Bone stock 2012 STI with tech package and sun roof. It's fully loaded, and had 41,000 Km's when I picked her up.

All for $26,999 Canadian (plus taxes of course). But still... I can drive it till it hits 100,000 km's and sell it for what I purchased it for.

STI prices in my area are WILD. I just happened to be at the right place, and had a full cash offer.

I finally heard my intake today!!

Was getting on an on ramp and decided to downshift to 3rd and 5500rpms and man that exhaust and intake sounded like a a choir of angels singing heavenly praises lol. I was so absorbed in the sound and fury I ended up bouncing on the redline haha.

Sidenote: I don't think I can ever live with an automatic when moments like that exist. The act of a perfect downshift is on the same level as getting it in the hole for the very first time... If you catch my drift hahaha.

Seriously, it's times like that which keep a smile on your face for sure... It's always a good time for me when I'm getting on the highway heading to work in the morning.

Seriously, it's times like that which keep a smile on your face for sure... It's always a good time for me when I'm getting on the highway heading to work in the morning.

Sad news, this was the last song and dance of what I'm assuming is the starter.

Tried to go home from work earlier and car won't start. No clicks or nothing, but all the electricals work.

I ran into the same issue months ago and swapping out the starter fuse fixed it but now, swapping the fuse doesn't work. Like you can hear the starter click with the new fuse, but when you try to crank it again, it just won't click whatsoever.

I've read some things, I wanna try them but I can't go by myself just in case I'm able to fix it so I'll probably just sleep on it and attempt it tomorrow. Worse comes to worse, I'll get it towed to a dealer or the local Miata shop and get them to check it out.

You can get $309 (+tax) with $1799 down if you're willing to drive a base 6MT model, so figure $350 a month, depending on your state.

And with that same down payment and that same car, if you can get $2.5% from your bank you're looking at $455 a month for five years. $100 more a month and you have ownership of the car, you can drive it as much as you want, you can mod it and it's yours. Don't like it? Great! WRXs have insane resale value. People will be lining up to buy it.

As said above: Subaru leases are stupid and outrageous. They are nothing more than a profit center for the brand. Get the lowest loan rate you can and buy.

Fair question before you go any further. Do you have any idea what your credit score actually is?

boltz

What are your thoughts on a spare tire delete? In the ~90k mi I've driven my car, I've never had to use it, yet I'm paranoid that as soon as I take it out, I'll get a flat.

Of course, I can just call roadside service, but with a full size spare, I could change it out without waiting and drive for however long I needed to until I could get the flat fixed. On the other hand, I could get an easy 50 lb weight savings. Keep the spare or just toss in a sllime kit?

Jackson

for those of you who track, do you buy insurance for every event?

if not, why not.

if yes, who do you purchase from?

I don't, but it all depends on your own level of risk acceptance.

Typically the majority of incidents are spin outs and/or four wheels off. Which they'll black flag you, you pit, they talk with you and assess if you understand what happened. Then let you back on.

If you have a capable car and you're driving within your comfort level (which is different for all of us) and you're not driving overly aggressively around others (trying to pass outside of pass zones, not letting others pass, tailgating, etc.). You should be fine. Also... Get coaching. That'll help a ton. And learn to counter steer. Typically spinouts can be avoided with proper throttle control and steering if you're dancing on the edge.

Also track insurance typically only covers up to $150k in damage so the big boy racers don't get the luxury.

It's typically double the cost of a track day. $250-$300.

rokkerkory

Quick little car meet this morning: 5 E92 M3s.

11698592_10153379817528758_2923222559892239961_n.jpg

The gray and blue one are track whores.

Both white M3s (further one is mines) are modding for track later this year.

Black one on the end is near stock, but modding soon.

Have a safe 4th all!

Quick little car meet this morning: 5 E92 M3s.

11698592_10153379817528758_2923222559892239961_n.jpg

The gray and blue one are track whores.

Both white M3s (further one is mines) are modding for track later this year.

Black one on the end is near stock, but modding soon.

Have a safe 4th all!

what track mods are you doing?

I don't, but it all depends on your own level of risk acceptance.

Typically the majority of incidents are spin outs and/or four wheels off. Which they'll black flag you, you pit, they talk with you and assess if you understand what happened. Then let you back on.

If you have a capable car and you're driving within your comfort level (which is different for all of us) and you're not driving overly aggressively around others (trying to pass outside of pass zones, not letting others pass, tailgating, etc.). You should be fine. Also... Get coaching. That'll help a ton. And learn to counter steer. Typically spinouts can be avoided with proper throttle control and steering if you're dancing on the edge.

Also track insurance typically only covers up to $150k in damage so the big boy racers don't get the luxury.

It's typically double the cost of a track day. $250-$300.

Yeh I think I'll do it the first time or two, and once I'm comfortable enough I'll skip insurance.
Track day here is $375 for an event at Lime Rock thats coming up. Insurance is around the same ranging from $340 to $400 depending on how I assess the value of my car.

Starting out with (track noob):
- Track pads, not sure which yet, so many choices, hawks, pagids, endless, etc.
- SS lines and Motul 600
- Tires: Advans AD08R

Gonna learn my car and up my skills before doing anything else major.

Nice that matches up with my plans somewhat. I'm just doing pagid rs29s and motul 600. The stock brakes on this car are horrible apparently, and even though I won't be pushing too hard my first day, I want to be safe out there.

Sad news, this was the last song and dance of what I'm assuming is the starter.

Tried to go home from work earlier and car won't start. No clicks or nothing, but all the electricals work.

I ran into the same issue months ago and swapping out the starter fuse fixed it but now, swapping the fuse doesn't work. Like you can hear the starter click with the new fuse, but when you try to crank it again, it just won't click whatsoever.

I've read some things, I wanna try them but I can't go by myself just in case I'm able to fix it so I'll probably just sleep on it and attempt it tomorrow. Worse comes to worse, I'll get it towed to a dealer or the local Miata shop and get them to check it out.

Check the charge of your battery. I would look at that first.

I also did a nice 3rd gear pull for you this morning while getting on the highway...

Evo X

Slow and dull and too expensive. There's a reason nobody talks about them.

Really? Name a better sports car chassis available for $52K new. If you get it on a twisty road, it will out handle anything in that price range while providing heaps of driver satisfaction.

Sure, it's not the fastest thing in the world, but that's what the S and GTS are for. 5.1 seconds to 60 isn't bad. That's around the ballpark of a 370Z or STI. Interior and build quality are also world class. I'd say when you look at it as a complete package, it's actually a bit of a bargain.

How many girls do you guys think I can pickup driving this around?

As is the case with most sports cars, you will unfortunately be attracting far more attention from men than women. lol

Check the charge of your battery. I would look at that first.

I also did a nice 3rd gear pull for you this morning while getting on the highway...

Lol thanks haha. I've been driving my sis' Mazda3 today and it's fun, if you use the manual shifter that is lol. It has a short ram intake from K&N I believe and it's pretty throaty above 3k rpms, plus it's very tossable in corners so shenanigans are still possible, just at a lesser amount.

Anyway, I narrowed it down to 4 things. Clutch switch, ignition switch, starter relay or the starter itself. I personally couldn't test it since I had to tow it out of my work's parking garage before lunch today so I just sent it to the dealer and they're gonna be looking it over on Monday.

Like I said before I ran into the issue before and the mechanic thought it was the starter harness because it apparently happened on another car they serviced before... and that'd be a $1000 dollar repair so I passed on it and just kept switching fuses. But now that I've read up on it more, the starter harness is such a bogus answer so I'm not opting for that.

If they think it's still the starter harness, I'll personally walk in their work area with a multimeter and run tests on the starter relay's terminals lol.

Jackson

Starting out with (track noob):
- Track pads, not sure which yet, so many choices, hawks, pagids, endless, etc.
- SS lines and Motul 600
- Tires: Advans AD08R

Gonna learn my car and up my skills before doing anything else major.

Performance Wheel alignment is a good idea for the track too. Find a reputable tire alignment shop and get a 4 wheel job done. It'll just max out your factory settings.

The more I think about it, the more I want a Honda Accord V6 Coupe. It seems so... underappreciated.

But I saw the 2015 one in person, that's a damn nice looking car! If I could get it in that Guard colour that Ford does, I'd be all over that. Also, if I had more money. We have an older V6 Accord Sedan, and it's a good ride.

Online photos don't look so hot, but it's a lovely looking car in person. That's the car I want. Honda Accord V6 Coupe with a manual transmission.

Am I lame?

AlphaSnake

Really? Name a better sports car chassis available for $52K new. If you get it on a twisty road, it will out handle anything in that price range while providing heaps of driver satisfaction.

Sure, it's not the fastest thing in the world, but that's what the S and GTS are for. 5.1 seconds to 60 isn't bad. That's around the ballpark of a 370Z or STI. Interior and build quality are also world class. I'd say when you look at it as a complete package, it's actually a bit of a bargain.

As is the case with most sports cars, you will unfortunately be attracting far more attention from men than women. lol

For that cost, I'd MUCH rather get a Corvette Z51 7MT for around $57K instead of a barebones Cayman for $54K. Come on, now. Owning a base model, optionless Porsche is a crime. The amount of standard options they're missing is simply staggering. They have halogens as standard, for God's sake.

Also, 2016 Caymans are now $54K MSRP. No idea about invoice, because Porsche doesn't publish it.

AlphaSnake

I saw 4 people climb into a GTR today.

4 fully grown people. 2 were teenagers who were about 5'8-5'10 and sat in the back. The driver was about 5'10-6'. And his passenger was about the same height as the teens.

:|

I got up pretending like I needed something out of my car to catch a glimpse at how they managed that...but his windows were crazy tinted as he passed by me.

Smokey

The more I think about it, the more I want a Honda Accord V6 Coupe. It seems so... underappreciated.

But I saw the 2015 one in person, that's a damn nice looking car! If I could get it in that Guard colour that Ford does, I'd be all over that. Also, if I had more money. We have an older V6 Accord Sedan, and it's a good ride.

Online photos don't look so hot, but it's a lovely looking car in person. That's the car I want. Honda Accord V6 Coupe with a manual transmission.

Am I lame?

nope you're not. i bought one for my wife in 2014. I really like it, and it's a great road car. It's a big car so the V6 really comes in handy in getting it up and moving. Got hers in black too. I think the main knock on them is at that price point you're starting to get into entry level luxury territory. It didn't bother me all that much. I know the Honda is going to last a very long time with little worry about maintenance and repairs.

I saw 4 people climb into a GTR today.

4 fully grown people. 2 were teenagers who were about 5'8-5'10 and sat in the back. The driver was about 5'10-6'. And his passenger was about the same height as the teens.

:|

I got up pretending like I needed something out of my car to catch a glimpse at how they managed that...but his windows were crazy tinted as he passed by me.

It's only possible if the driver is really short. Because the driver seat needs to be pull all the way forward or else you won't be able to fit some in the back.

Fitting 3 people is very doable.

FStop7

Banned
3 is easy though it usually means the person in the back is sitting lengthwise and isn't wearing a seatbelt. Not ideal or safe (or legal) but common in 2+2 cars like the GTR, Maser GT, 911, etc.

4 people? I dunno, unless they have detachable legs.

nope you're not. i bought one for my wife in 2014. I really like it, and it's a great road car. It's a big car so the V6 really comes in handy in getting it up and moving. Got hers in black too. I think the main knock on them is at that price point you're starting to get into entry level luxury territory. It didn't bother me all that much. I know the Honda is going to last a very long time with little worry about maintenance and repairs.

At that level of trim too the Honda is a stone's throw away from Acura anyway in terms of interior quality.

3 is easy though it usually means the person in the back is sitting lengthwise and isn't wearing a seatbelt. Not ideal or safe (or legal) but common in 2+2 cars like the GTR, Maser GT, 911, etc.

4 people? I dunno, unless they have detachable legs.

Well, when we used to cram 4 of us into my friends 240sx coupe, the passenger in the front would move the seat forward so the person behind would have enough room. The unlucky person behind the driver would sit at an angle so their feet are on the driveshaft tunnel or behind the passenger seat with the other persons. Its no ideal or even comfortable, but it works. Also, everyone is still able to wear a seatbelt.

Evo X

Warning: Tons of pics incoming. RIP mobile users.

Snapped these at today's car show. There were hundreds of cars there, but these are some of my favs.

5TsTYfk.jpg

N1X1yWZ.jpg

mwe21yc.jpg

zaOx8E8.jpg

KcCGRSo.jpg

y33I0II.jpg

qKXMDC6.jpg

m8LunJI.jpg

U6oHJI5.jpg

1vacUcB.jpg

CccEL7B.jpg

FAuHqgX.jpg