• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I went to a dealership today to take a look at the Accord and was kind of surprised that both the manual and automatic for the V6 is $37500.

It's a lot more expensive than I thought. For some reason, I was thinking like... 30000.

Oxn

I went to a dealership today to take a look at the Accord and was kind of surprised that both the manual and automatic for the V6 is $37500.

It's a lot more expensive than I thought. For some reason, I was thinking like... 30000.

I wanted the v6 passat and that was almost 40k

Huh? The Honda website shows a V6 manual for 31k.

edit: oh, you're in Canada right?

I wanted the v6 passat and that was almost 40k

I dunno why, I got it in my head that Honda would be super-affordable, haha

Huh? The Honda website shows a V6 manual for 31k.

edit: oh, you're in Canada right?

Yeah, Canada. It was 32K USD when I checked, which translated to 40K Canadian.

Plus, it's weird that the Manual and Automatic are the same price. Usually manuals are cheaper, right?

I really want this car though :/

Smokey

yeah it's low 30s US

that's why i said that's the knock on it. start getting into entry level luxury models.

N1X1yWZ.jpg

Damn!

When gulf blue works it just works.

Bandit1

Warning: Tons of pics incoming. RIP mobile users.

Snapped these at today's car show. There were hundreds of cars there, but these are some of my favs.

*pics*

Wow, looks like it was a fantastic show! An F40, a Dodge Daytona, some Japanese imports, American muscle, and exotics, looks like a little of everything.

That 71 455 T/A though..
19237755910_0cfd0b0713.jpg

jey_16

Banned
My S3 that i picked up last week, i know some of you are not huge fans of Audi but for the price here in Aus, nothing really compares

Do4VD3O.jpg

ftPgu8c.jpg

uG86KTc.jpg

Was able to see, sit in and hear the first EU Mustangs at my dealer. Here in germany the GT Mustang (5.0 V8 - 421HP) is as cheap as a Golf GTI (2.0 4cyl turbo - 220ps) and way less as the Audi S3 (2.0 4cyl turbo - 300ps) if you want the same assistent systems and stuff you get in the Mustang

I drove the GTI for 1,5 years and sit in a 2014 Audi A3 and 2014 BMW 3 Series every now and then, but I really have to say the interior quality in the Mustang felt even. Only the box for the sunglasses felt a bit cheap, but who cares about that?

Ecoboost in black
I1hI130.jpg

XJaGAX4.jpg

GT in Magnetic:
Jp38kjU.jpg

QqAIua4.jpg

X7LE9Ad.jpg

GT in yellow:
4D0HfzA.jpg

k6ufIBf.jpg

v0j4Sta.jpg

7OZeqbW.jpg

Just about 6 weeks until I can pick up my Mustang GT in Deep Impact Blue

matmanx1

well I just got done converting my lexus from an auto to a 6 speed manual.. that took awhile..

I want more info on this! What model and year? Which 6 speed manual did you swap in? Is it the factory unit or something else? How long did it take and how much did it cost?

Damn!

When gulf blue works it just works.

Yeah I had a similar reaction. And an even stronger one when I noticed the orange accents!

My S3 that i picked up last week, i know some of you are not huge fans of Audi but for the price here in Aus, nothing really compares

There's something about the S3 sedan this time around that just clicks. I honestly think it's the sharp as hell back tail lights.

Jackson

Do4VD3O.jpg

ftPgu8c.jpg

uG86KTc.jpg

Congrats! Looks sharp!

My buddy picked up an A3 yesterday actually too! In the U.S. the S3 is $11k more than the A3 base. Seems like a lot.

rokkerkory

Nice that matches up with my plans somewhat. I'm just doing pagid rs29s and motul 600. The stock brakes on this car are horrible apparently, and even though I won't be pushing too hard my first day, I want to be safe out there.

Performance Wheel alignment is a good idea for the track too. Find a reputable tire alignment shop and get a 4 wheel job done. It'll just max out your factory settings.

@mmazurkiewicz - Yeah I think that's a good start. A friend (the blue M3) who is a track junky is still on his stockish brakes (just pads, lines and fluid) and he does pretty damn well. He says track pads make a huge difference. He'll eventually get bbk but he wants to push stock / oem as much as possible. He is pretty quick on Laguna and Thunderhill.

@Jackson - Yeah totally, performance alignment and corner balancing is also on the backlog of things to do! :)

jey_16

Banned
Beautiful car! Congratulations.

What did you drive before this?

Thanks, had an Honda Accord Euro....basically our version of the Acura TSX since we dont have Acura here

The difference is massive, cant imagine the jump to an M4/C63 (hopefully the next car in another 4-5 years!)

Every time I see someone buy a VW Golf, I cannot stop laughing for a number of reasons

It's about 5 grand more than it's competitors
The GTI and R versions lose to their main rivals in performance comparisons on a regular basis
VW/Audi group servicing costs are high, part costs are high as well
The fourth gen is just not that good even Golf fans admit this

Don't get me wrong it's a decent car but it's rivals offer the same and in some cases more for a lot less money. It's frequently regarded as the best hatchback and that's just not true.

The VW brand kool aid is strong and I dislike it for the same reasons a lot of people buy iPhones, perceived higher quality at a substantial cost, like the iPhone the Golf has been losing to it's rivals in key areas for some time now.

Evo X

Went to this amazing South African/Portuguese flame-grilled chicken place that opened up here in Chicago recently. Got a VIP parking spot right in front so I could keep an eye on my baby. I'm kinda paranoid parking it in heavy traffic areas without supervision. A guy in his Honda CRV almost backed into it yesterday, and another lady was like 5mm away from door dinging it last week.

Either some people are fucking blind or they just don't care.

On my way back home, some dude in a G35 tried to race me. It went about as well for him as you'd expect. lol

He was giving me a real mean stare down at the next light. Don't know if it's just my personal experience, but ever since I've started driving, I haven't met a single G35 owner who wasn't a douche.

zU6Rn7H.jpg

negitoro7

Every time I see someone buy a VW Golf, I cannot stop laughing for a number of reasons

The GTI and R versions lose to their main rivals in performance comparisons on a regular basis

Don't get me wrong it's a decent car but it's rivals offer the same and in some cases more for a lot less money. It's frequently regarded as the best hatchback and that's just not true.

The VW brand kool aid is strong and I dislike it for the same reasons a lot of people buy iPhones, perceived higher quality at a substantial cost, like the iPhone the Golf has been losing to it's rivals in key areas for some time now.

Key areas such as? Have you owned one? This is my first VAG car and I'm extremely happy with it - everything from performance, quality, utility, community, even reliability. There's a reason it's not just the owners "drinking the koolaid" and lots of professional journalists choose them over their rivals.

Oxn

Laughing? You actually sound mad.

Key areas such as? Have you owned one? This is my first VAG car and I'm extremely happy with it - everything from performance, quality, utility, community, even reliability. There's a reason it's not just the owners "drinking the koolaid" and lots of professional journalists choose them over their rivals.

Never owned but I have been to press events and been in Golf's as old as mk 2's right up to the current model at various performance trim levels - 1.6 petrol engines, 2.0 TDi, mk4 R32, mk6 Golf R etc.

Numerous independent test have shown the GTi and R versions to be slower than similar specced cheaper rivals, cost when used is also on average high for a car of the size.

In short, it's not a bad car but it is overpriced.

matmanx1

Never owned but I have been to press events and been in Golf's as old as mk 2's right up to the current model at various performance trim levels - 1.6 petrol engines, 2.0 TDi, mk4 R32, mk6 Golf R etc.

Numerous independent test have shown the GTi and R versions to be slower than similar specced cheaper rivals, cost when used is also on average high for a car of the size.

In short, it's not a bad car but it is overpriced.

I'm curious to know what you think is a better hatchback, either in terms of value for the money or in terms of quality and performance. I test drove a launch edition Golf that was priced about $17,500 a few months back and was fairly impressed. It was quick, quiet, had most everything I would want on a DD (except for cruise control, what a weird oversight) and seemed to me to be a fair price for the car.

I didn't end up buying it as I bought my 128i for $15k but I am curious about your opinion on better hatchback options.

rokkerkory

Dat screaming N/A V8. Such a shame the new car went to a turbo 6.

Also looks like he has a short shifter. I recall the M3 having longer throws.

We should organize an AutoGAF trackday. :D

V8 soundtrack FTW... yeah M4 is a great car no doubt, but the soul is missing with that engine. Trade being faster for that soul anyday.

AutoGAF trackday would be magical haha! Or we could do a gumball rally style cross country.

AutoGAF trackday would be magical haha! Or we could do a gumball rally style cross country.

Doesn't bossman Evilore still live in Austin?

Maybe we could organize a trackday at COTA?!

Anyway, got an update for my Miata... much to my chagrin... it is indeed the starter harness and starter. The harness is shorting out the starter, that's also dead... hence why my fuse swap stopped working.

Welp, there goes about $800 for a fix. I was planning to put that money on a tune at the end of the month, but I guess that won't be happening anytime soon. :(

Doesn't bossman Evilore still live in Austin?

Maybe we could organize a trackday at COTA?!

Anyway, got an update for my Miata... much to my chagrin... it is indeed the starter harness and starter. The harness is shorting out the starter, that's also dead... hence why my fuse swap stopped working.

Welp, there goes about $800 for a fix. I was planning to put that money on a tune at the end of the month, but I guess that won't be happening anytime soon. :(

If you haven't authorized the repair yet you might want to try it yourself. The starter wiring is generally separate from the rest of the engine harness and you could probably run it yourself. Have you done electrical work before?

If you haven't authorized the repair yet you might want to try it yourself. The starter wiring is generally separate from the rest of the engine harness and you could probably run it yourself. Have you done electrical work before?

I'd love to do it myself actually but there's no way for me to bring it at home as it doesn't start at all lol. It'd take another $150-ish to tow the car back to my house, then another $200 for the starter and about $200 for the starter harness.

On the other hand, I've never done electrical work before and obviously that's something somebody without any experience probably shouldn't attempt.

So in essence I'm only paying about $300 for labor costs(it's a 3 hour job), plus the parts would also be warrantied for a year I believe... so I'd say it's kinda worth it.

Either way, I can't wait to get her back. I've gone on days where I haven't driven my car for a week and I never felt like I miss it. But when I opened my garage this past weekend, I actually felt like I missed it lol.

I'd love to do it myself actually but there's no way for me to bring it at home as it doesn't start at all lol. It'd take another $150-ish to tow the car back to my house, then another $200 for the starter and about $200 for the starter harness.

On the other hand, I've never done electrical work before and obviously that's something somebody without any experience probably shouldn't attempt.

So in essence I'm only paying about $300 for labor costs(it's a 3 hour job), plus the parts would also be warrantied for a year I believe... so I'd say it's kinda worth it.

Either way, I can't wait to get her back. I've gone on days where I haven't driven my car for a week and I never felt like I miss it. But when I opened my garage this past weekend, I actually felt like I missed it lol.

No way to start it? Bull hockey! Push start that son of a gun! Okay if it's your only car and you need it, though, yeah just have it fixed.

Electrical work is actually pretty easy once you get over the initial concern of "I have no idea what I'm doing" and start reading some how-to's and looking at wiring diagrams for your car. That's why I said the starter is usually pretty easy, because the wiring for it stands mostly on its own. Well maybe not, if the signal wiring from the ignition is what's on its way out it's a little trickier to pin down but still not that bad. It would actually be a good "baby's first wiring" job.

My first shot at wiring was for the track car, which after the initial hurdle of staring at it and wondering what I'd gotten into, was pretty easy. Once I got going it went very smoothly. But now that I'm thinking about it I feel like sharing, so here's some wiring photos for nobody in particular.

Yes these photos are enormous, deal with it.

Edit: Hmmm.... I really should get around to putting thermal wrap on those wires.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Went to this amazing South African/Portuguese flame-grilled chicken place that opened up here in Chicago recently. Got a VIP parking spot right in front so I could keep an eye on my baby. I'm kinda paranoid parking it in heavy traffic areas without supervision. A guy in his Honda CRV almost backed into it yesterday, and another lady was like 5mm away from door dinging it last week.

Either some people are fucking blind or they just don't care.

On my way back home, some dude in a G35 tried to race me. It went about as well for him as you'd expect. lol

He was giving me a real mean stare down at the next light. Don't know if it's just my personal experience, but ever since I've started driving, I haven't met a single G35 owner who wasn't a douche.

zU6Rn7H.jpg

People are assholes and think a car is just a car.

And G35 and 350Z drivers are dicks because the cars are cheap as hell and owned by young kids or immature dolts who can finally afford them.

No way to start it? Bull hockey! Push start that son of a gun! Okay if it's your only car and you need it, though, yeah just have it fixed.

Electrical work is actually pretty easy once you get over the initial concern of "I have no idea what I'm doing" and start reading some how-to's and looking at wiring diagrams for your car. That's why I said the starter is usually pretty easy, because the wiring for it stands mostly on its own. Well maybe not, if the signal wiring from the ignition is what's on its way out it's a little trickier to pin down but still not that bad. It would actually be a good "baby's first wiring" job.

I'm actually not sure if push starting would get it to start. I mean if the starter harness is gone, I don't see how it can still start. CMIIW though lol.

But yeah I agree, electrical work is easy once you know. I've been building computers since the late 90's when nothing was color coded, wires weren't labeled, and you actually had to know the difference between an AMD and Intel CPU socket. These days even a monkey could build a computer as long as it knows colors lol.

And G35 and 350Z drivers are dicks because the cars are cheap as hell and owned by young kids or immature dolts who can finally afford them.

Yep. This is the reason why I'm partially okay about the Miata's long running stigma as a gay/hairdressers car. No immature kid would own just coz his friends would think he's gay. Of course the moment they actually get the balls to get in one and realize how great it is that entire perspective changes.

But the fact that it actually takes balls for a man to step in a "gay" car is kinda sad imo.

I'm actually not sure if push starting would get it to start. I mean if the starter harness is gone, I don't see how it can still start. CMIIW though lol.

But yeah I agree, electrical work is easy once you know. I've been building computers since the late 90's when nothing was color coded, wires weren't labeled, and you actually had to know the difference between an AMD and Intel CPU socket. These days even a monkey could build a computer as long as it knows colors lol.

Could be that the ignition harness, module, key switch, what have you is out, which might screw up the whole system. If the only issue, though, is that power is not being sent to the starter, then you should still be able to pop start it.

I dunno, maybe more modern cars have some sort of interlock where they get all pissy if the engine starts turning without somebody turning over the starter first. Most of my cars have all been older than me.

I just sat in the new Lincoln MKX. It's a fully loaded. It has a lot of fun little stuff hidden in the car. I can't tell you if it's worth the price. It had the Revel Audio system inside, so that was nice.

BTW, I have no idea why people dislike the Lincoln split wing grill. It's honestly one of my favorite grill designs. I don't care about the cars, just the grill.

Mistel

Banned
BTW, I have no idea why people dislike the Lincoln split wing grill. It's honestly one of my favorite grill designs. I don't care about the cars, just the grill.
Maybe they dislike the retro inspired design similar to the grills of pre war Lincoln Zephyrs?

Could be that the ignition harness, module, key switch, what have you is out, which might screw up the whole system. If the only issue, though, is that power is not being sent to the starter, then you should still be able to pop start it.

I dunno, maybe more modern cars have some sort of interlock where they get all pissy if the engine starts turning without somebody turning over the starter first. Most of my cars have all been older than me.

The dealer supposedly checked everything and the starter harness and starter is the issue.

And this would jive with what I've experienced. If you replace the starter fuse with a new one, you'd hear a click from the starter but if you try to start it again, you'd hear no click at all. So if the starter harness is indeed shorting out, then that would explain why the new starter fuse breaks. I actually tried to start it 3 times each with a new fuse and yeah, click then nothing after.

I actually have an inkling feeling that the starter itself isn't broken, but you have to take the starter out in order to replace the harness so thinking about it in the grand scheme of things... I just approved to swap the starter with a new one as well. The car is at 80K miles and I'm eventually gonna have to swap the starter down the line anyway, so I'll just get it done now and not worry about it.

Besides, I'm trying to restore the car in a decent shape as much as possible anyway to increase the trade in value lol.

Speaking of which, am I naive for trusting a dealership's mechanic or is it just the old farts at Miata.net up on their high horse? That's the general tone I'm getting by mentioning this... and it's kinda disconcerting actually. No shit I'd rather get it fixed by myself, but I don't know jack shit about what's wrong or what I'm doing. And none of them would help either, just playing armchair mechanic behind a computer screen.

I hate to generalize, but in my experience I have not ran into a G35 who wasn't a high schooler/first year college student that hasn't tried to instigate a race. Hell even my one of my uncle's friends who recently got a Q50 was telling me how badly he could "smoke" my WRX haha what is up with that?

My first shot at wiring was for the track car, which after the initial hurdle of staring at it and wondering what I'd gotten into, was pretty easy. Once I got going it went very smoothly. But now that I'm thinking about it I feel like sharing, so here's some wiring photos for nobody in particular.

I hear what you're saying. I was watching my friend wire up his drift car (engine harness), and it didn't look as crazy as I had originally thought. If you label things, and take your time, you won't feel overwhelmed.

Still, that's a big old "nope" for me.

Speaking of which, am I naive for trusting a dealership's mechanic or is it just the old farts at Miata.net up on their high horse? That's the general tone I'm getting by mentioning this... and it's kinda disconcerting actually. No shit I'd rather get it fixed by myself, but I don't know jack shit about what's wrong or what I'm doing. And none of them would help either, just playing armchair mechanic behind a computer screen.

Welcome to the wonderful world of car forums (in general). I'm viewing this over on the cesspool called nasioc right now.

Top Bottom