• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Welcome to the wonderful world of car forums (in general). I'm viewing this over on the cesspool called nasioc right now.

Yeahhh lol. I'm not expecting them to come by my house and do it for me or whatever, but I feel like there's a general distrust with their service department of their choosing and I do agree that sometimes the dealer feels like they're just throwing shit at a wall hoping it sticks but man... sometimes it seems like the devil runs their service depts lol.

Should I rather trust some armchair mechanic behind a computer who's never even seen my car, or the dude who could lose his job if they got it wrong or they fnck it up?

Plus my dad and my bro get their regular maintenance over there and we all have the same service advisor so the dealership would be losing 2 other customers if they fnck this up.

Anyway, I'm seriously ready to get my car back. Today I've been using my dad's V6 equipped Mazda6. It too has an auto tranny and since it's a 1st generation 6, the tranny is slow to shift even in manual mode.

But the one positive thing I can say about it is that Mazda definitely nailed it's "sports sedan" moniker. That V6 is smooth as fnck with decent power... and that suspension is surprisingly astounding. It's soft and comfortable on shit roads, but when you're spiritedly driving it... it feels like a RWD due to how it rotates. Push it in a corner and it won't understeer until you've hit the threshold and the entire time it handles it with grace.

I'm actually secretly hoping he doesn't trade it away in the future... I wanna buy this car off him and keep it as a daily lol.

negitoro7

Never owned but I have been to press events and been in Golf's as old as mk 2's right up to the current model at various performance trim levels - 1.6 petrol engines, 2.0 TDi, mk4 R32, mk6 Golf R etc.

Numerous independent test have shown the GTi and R versions to be slower than similar specced cheaper rivals, cost when used is also on average high for a car of the size.

In short, it's not a bad car but it is overpriced.

So you've never owned one, and admit their resale values are high and they're "not bad cars", yet laugh when someone buys one? Do you see how disrepectful and short-sighted that is from one car enthusiast to another?

Jackson

Buddy's murdered out Wraith in dark parking lot lighting :(. It's a behemoth of a car.

TtwRZRs.jpg

Eos

I went to a dealership today to take a look at the Accord and was kind of surprised that both the manual and automatic for the V6 is $37500.

It's a lot more expensive than I thought. For some reason, I was thinking like... 30000.

If you want a honda v6 for around 30, i'd recommend at looking for an older TL

Smokey

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/future-manual-bmw-m-cars-not-bright

BMW M boss Frank van Meel says competition between the DCT dual-clutch and automatic gearboxes is good for the brand and both ’boxes have a future.

However, manual gearboxes could become a thing of the past for M cars because of declining sales figures.

Van Meel said: “From a technical standpoint, the future doesn’t look bright for manual gearboxes. The DCT and auto ’boxes are faster and they have better fuel consumption.

"It’s difficult to say we’ll stick to the manual, but we still have a big fan community for manuals and we are not going to take away something the customer wants to have.”

Van Meel also said 600bhp is the current limit of an M car’s capability. “For now, 600bhp is the most you can get in an M car,” he said.

“We’re at the limit. If you go on adding more horsepower and torque, it’d probably be over the limits.”

Can't say I disagree with the 600hp comment...especially since they don't (currently) offer the M cars with AWD.

Evo X

Can't say I disagree with the 600hp comment...especially since they don't (currently) offer the M cars with AWD.

Both the X5M and X6M are AWD. Wouldn't surprise me if the next gen M5 and M6 go to AWD as well.

Lol and I drive a Cayman, so what's that tell ya? :p

Could be one of two things.

You're either poor one of the group or the Cayman's a really good car. lol

fwoibles

Are there any diesel owners here? I'm trying to decide between a Chevy Cruise TD and a Jetta TDI.

I am one. Familiar with all things diesel in VW/Audi/Mercedes, don't know what engine the Chevy Cruise exactly has, it seems it's an italian one for Fiat or german for Opel/GM. If it's either one of that I have driven it aswell.

where my stage 2 bros at

I've got some things planned (if the shops would ship out the damn parts)... I kinda went crazy over the weekend (after a surprise meeting with my boss that ended up with me getting a raise with backdated pay).

So yeah... things are about to go off ^_^

Yeahhh lol. I'm not expecting them to come by my house and do it for me or whatever, but I feel like there's a general distrust with their service department of their choosing and I do agree that sometimes the dealer feels like they're just throwing shit at a wall hoping it sticks but man... sometimes it seems like the devil runs their service depts lol.

Should I rather trust some armchair mechanic behind a computer who's never even seen my car, or the dude who could lose his job if they got it wrong or they fnck it up?

Plus my dad and my bro get their regular maintenance over there and we all have the same service advisor so the dealership would be losing 2 other customers if they fnck this up.

Seriously, it's always "don't throw your money away" blah blah blah... then when you're like "okay so what's my main issues and where do I start?"

the replies are usually "use the search function noob" or "we don't spoon feed people"...

It's even better when you then use said search function and add to an older thread because the topic wasn't specific to your question and you're now met with "OMG what a stupid noob, bumping such an old thread"

Yeah... I hate that forum... Thank god I have a few Subaru specific shops in my city to bounce ideas and questions off of.

Smokey

Both the X5M and X6M are AWD. Wouldn't surprise me if the next gen M5 and M6 go to AWD as well.

Right. I meant on their cars. Should have clarified. But since their next gen cars will all be sharing the same chassis (inc SUVs I believe) it's a definite possibility.

Lol and I drive a Cayman, so what's that tell ya? :p

I am quite curious of your conversations with your friends. Like...do yall sit around and casually talk about taking a P1 for a spin? Or drive around in a Wraith or Bugatti like it's normal? Casually talk about getting a 918 or LaFerarri next year?

bruh

matmanx1

Jackson literally knows nothing but millionaires.

He provides the aspirational and inspirational car photos, don't knock it!

$cribblenauts

Ok, that was funny. =)

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/future-manual-bmw-m-cars-not-bright

Stop adding weight, make the cars lighter and then you won't need 600 freakin horsepower. BMW "bloat" needs to be reversed. Get that M3 back down near 3,000 lbs like Porsche does with the 911.

Stop adding weight, make the cars lighter and then you won't need 600 freakin horsepower. BMW "bloat" needs to be reversed. Get that M3 back down near 3,000 lbs like Porsche does with the 911.

I'm of the mindset that we're just being foolish when it comes to power. Even as an enthusiast I have to admit that there's no sensible reason for some of these cars to have the power that they do.

I mean really, the Z06 hitting the showroom floor with 650hp is a bad idea. It's cool, sure, but it's dangerous and senseless in the hands of an amateur.

Either we cut this shit out or add some sort of stepped licensing program.

Smokey

I'm of the mindset that we're just being foolish when it comes to power. Even as an enthusiast I have to admit that there's no sensible reason for some of these cars to have the power that they do.

I mean really, the Z06 hitting the showroom floor with 650hp is a bad idea. It's cool, sure, but it's dangerous and senseless in the hands of an amateur.

Yup. I and many others called it when the z06 was announced. Shit is crazy and is a legit threat to the majority of the people that will buy it. I haven't driven a car with the HP of a Stingray let alone a Z06, but even in my 335i there are plenty of times I'm going 80-85+ not even thinking of it. And that's a stock 300HP car

Yup. I and many others called it when the z06 was announced. Shit is crazy and is a legit threat to the majority of the people that will buy it. I haven't driven a car with the HP of a Stingray let alone a Z06, but even in my 335i there are plenty of times I'm going 80-85+ not even thinking of it. And that's a stock 300HP car

We've already seen that one video of the C7 Z06 chasing a 911 GT3 on track where the driver only made it because the electronics kept him on the road. It's a credit to the car's stability and traction control, but if he takes that approach to regular driving he's going to get in more trouble than they can handle at some point.

Got my Miata back today!

The mechanic confirms it was the starter harness and starter so that's been replaced and all is well. Of course $800 for a repair like this stings, but I'm just happy it's back in good shape.

And of course, I had a spirited drive the moment I pulled out of their service bay lol.

Jackson

I am quite curious of your conversations with your friends. Like...do yall sit around and casually talk about taking a P1 for a spin? Or drive around in a Wraith or Bugatti like it's normal? Casually talk about getting a 918 or LaFerarri next year?

bruh

Well actually the P1 guy wanted a FLF but couldn't get one. Part of Ferrari's elite brand is to be very snooty, McLaren is a new guy and doesn't have that luxury (and maybe doesn't want it). He was happy he went with the P1, got to fly out to Woking, test drive a mule and offer feedback over lunch to the P1's engineers. Something like that would be inconceivable to Ferrari.

The P1 guy tracks his P1, he doesn't want a garage queen. He's pretty awesome. I'm sure he'll still make his money back at the very least though (as long as he doesn't wreck it).

Honestly, I just like genuine people who care about other people. Not fakey "I'm rich, let's be superficial together" people. So the people I know who do have a lot of money are very down to earth. I will say though, everyone asks them for money all the time. Which must be trying to be polite to the 600th new person asking for a handout.

Anyway, you can be a superficial jerk and be broke too. I got good friends who own BRZs and GTI's too. I got a close friend who has a rusted out VW squareback (it's pretty cool actually lol). I just like people who can be cool to other people, period.

And as you say this a mule of Jag's new F-Type SVR was spotted today. Estimated to have ~600HP and some significant weight savings.

MOAR POWAH!!! lol

Charcoal

I am one. Familiar with all things diesel in VW/Audi/Mercedes, don't know what engine the Chevy Cruise exactly has, it seems it's an italian one for Fiat or german for Opel/GM. If it's either one of that I have driven it aswell.
If I planned to keep said vehicle for the next 5+ years, would you be able to recommend one over the other? Thanks for the help!

ameratsu

Had the front bumper painted on my integra and there's some really blatantly obvious overspray on the lip. It was already wrapped up when I went there to pick it up so I didn't catch it when I paid. Now I have to go back and complain. Yay

fwoibles

If I planned to keep said vehicle for the next 5+ years, would you be able to recommend one over the other? Thanks for the help!

Both are quite fun to drive, as expected for a 4cyl-diesel not very refined. I am very fond of the VW/Audi 2.0 TDI engine with 140hp, I privately drive an 2008 model Audi A6 which is considered too heavy for the 2.0 and the engine has been purring away at high speeds for 120.000 miles now without any problems, frequent oil changes (not required by the manual). Long distance I will do 40mpg with a fully loaded car for vacation, short distance 29-33mpg. Mine is a PD/unit-injector engine which had problems, now it's a very reliable Common Rail engine.
I would consider getting it again in a future car.

For the Cruze's engine I can't say much about reliability, the car we have using one has only 60.000 miles on it and there haven't been any problems so far. Again in a heavy car attached to it with heavy payloads doing a lot of consecutive miles.

Both engines are easy getting used to if you know where the magic happens, 1500-2500rpm is all you really need when driving in a country with speed limits. The torque is fun, fuel consumption aswell.

Jackson

First GT4 delivered in Finland.

Fuck me, it looks flawless.

I still personally like the looks of the GTS over the GT4. I hate the same colored the side scoop and the front air ducts on the revised front spoiler. I like the little GT3 mesh grille thingy though. And I'm saying this after I saw both the GTS and GT4 in person sitting next to each other. GTS FTW.

Also those racing seats with a 5 point harness as a daily driver? No! Even lower and stiffer X73 suspension? No thanks. No infotainment buttons on my steering wheel? Nope. If you only rocking 1 car and it's a Cayman? GTS is so the way to go.

GT4 as a track weapon though? A roided out GTS in all the right ways? Must be insanely awesome.

Had the front bumper painted on my integra and there's some really blatantly obvious overspray on the lip. It was already wrapped up when I went there to pick it up so I didn't catch it when I paid. Now I have to go back and complain. Yay

That sucks to hear. I don't like the fact that they already had it wrapped like you wouldn't notice when you got home!?

Paint and body shops are hit and miss unfortunately. Too many variables to deal with...

ameratsu

That sucks to hear. I don't like the fact that they already had it wrapped like you wouldn't notice when you got home!?

Paint and body shops are hit and miss unfortunately. Too many variables to deal with...

Totally agreed. In fact I got way too worked up about it again when I went outside this morning and looked at the flawed paint on the lip. I need to calm down so I can talk to the shop reasonably and ask that that they fix their mistake.

There are other minor flaws that I'm not super happy about either, but in the end it's ok considering what I paid. The overspray drives me crazy, especially considering someone looked at it and said "yep that's done", and wrapped it up knowing there was a glaring flaw waiting to be seen by me.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Totally agreed. In fact I got way too worked up about it again when I went outside this morning and looked at the flawed paint on the lip. I need to calm down so I can talk to the shop reasonably and ask that that they fix their mistake.

There are other minor flaws that I'm not super happy about either, but in the end it's ok considering what I paid. The overspray drives me crazy, especially considering someone looked at it and said "yep that's done", and wrapped it up knowing there was a glaring flaw waiting to be seen by me.

By overspray, do you literally mean there's paint oversprayed to the wrong parts of the body? Or do you see paint drips/runs?

If it's drippy new paint, it's a fairly quick fix. A little bit of sanding, and then polish.

AlphaSnake

Paint drips/runs. Didn't realize it was a quick fix

Oh yeah you're fine, man. I had the Aero bumper on my M56 resprayed and when I went to look at it before pickup I saw the drips. He took it back to the booth and 20 minutes later the paint was perfect. It's a very easy fix.

Just some additional wetsanding.

Anyone have any experience polishing cars?

I just bought a ton of stuff to polish a black car and was interested in your thoughts on the subject.

I'm planning to wash, nano skin, polish with some compounding included, and then seal with powerlock.

AlphaSnake

So Road and Track composed a Subaru WRX MT vs WRX STi comparison. Dyno tests, and full on data measurements too. More interestingly, they measured the awful turbo-lag of the STi too.

Shockingly, it looks like the WRX is nothing short of a mild tune to outpace the STi...and with some bolt-ons added to the mix, will probably leave it completely in the dust. The dyno graphs are absolutely telling, the WRX makes far more torque and even more HP throughout most of the chart. :|

Many more charts and data in the link below.

546b31b2cb7be_-_final-hj0wgd-tqcomparo-lg.jpg

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/reviews/a6306/2015-subaru-wrx-vs-sti/

obama-wiping-sweat-from-forehead.jpg

I agree with Jackson about the 5 point harness though. A Miata buddy had one and those harnesses wrinkle your clothes like mad. It kinda looks like you slept on your shirt actually lol.

AlphaSnake

I just bought a ton of stuff to polish a black car and was interested in your thoughts on the subject.

I'm planning to wash, nano skin, polish with some compounding included, and then seal with powerlock.

Yes.

Don't compound or polish by hand. You will swirl up your paint. Compound requires heat that only a machine buffer can accomplish properly. And you also need to make sure you use the right kind of orbital pads when you polish and compound. And never apply pressure to the buffer, let its own weight be the primary load.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy the 6 inch orbital polisher. I posted a link to it a few pages back but it's less than $20 and it'll seriously make your life easier. It normally takes me an hour to just wax my Miata but with the polisher it took me less than 30 mins.

Also yeah Alpha's correct. I tried polishing it by hand a few weeks ago and there are visible swirl marks if you come close to it.

I've been wondering about this too, there are some wonderful tutorials on /Drive and AmmoNYC on youtube.

AlphaSnake

Does anyone here have/or test driven an A250 Sport or an A45 AMG?

What are your impressions?

The 250s are supposed to be decent cars, but laggy turbos and odd gearing. Good for daily driving. My mom will be getting a GLA250

The AMGs are fucking hoots, though. Apparently tons and tons of fun.

Jong, I actually spent like $600 on equipment to do this. lol. Figure I buy the good stuff once and it should last decades.

Alpha you mentioned that I shouldn't hand polish. I was actually planning to do so to the bumper and mirror caps as the machine is likely too big to do those. I bought small buffer pads to do this as I read that polishing by hand is possible.

Apparently the trick to doing it by hand is to do it in straight lines. I'm doing this to eliminate light swirls so I'll give it a go as I can't make it worse, can I?

If it doesn't work out I plan to buy a smaller polisher that can handle the smaller pieces.

edit:
Dave, yeh I watched all of Larrys videos on Drive and AmmoNYC. I've probably watched too much which is why I'm now doing this.

Evo X

I still personally like the looks of the GTS over the GT4. I hate the same colored the side scoop and the front air ducts on the revised front spoiler. I like the little GT3 mesh grille thingy though. And I'm saying this after I saw both the GTS and GT4 in person sitting next to each other. GTS FTW.

Also those racing seats with a 5 point harness as a daily driver? No! Even lower and stiffer X73 suspension? No thanks. No infotainment buttons on my steering wheel? Nope. If you only rocking 1 car and it's a Cayman? GTS is so the way to go.

GT4 as a track weapon though? A roided out GTS in all the right ways? Must be insanely awesome.

You're preaching to the choir man. lol

But that's not this guys daily driver or only car. He basically got it as a fun plaything for weekend/tracking. Taking it to the Nurburgring this weekend.

Here it is next to one of his other toys.

full

AlphaSnake

Jong, I actually spent like $600 on equipment to do this. lol. Figure I buy the good stuff once and it should last decades.

Alpha you mentioned that I shouldn't hand polish. I was actually planning to do so to the bumper and mirror caps as the machine is likely too big to do those. I bought small buffer pads to do this as I read that polishing by hand is possible.

Apparently the trick to doing it by hand is to do it in straight lines. I'm doing this to eliminate light swirls so I'll give it a go as I can't make it worse, can I?

If it doesn't work out I plan to buy a smaller polisher that can handle the smaller pieces.

edit:
Dave, yeh I watched all of Larrys videos on Drive and AmmoNYC. I've probably watched too much which is why I'm now doing this.

What car are you detailing again? M3/M4 right?

You should be easily able to hit the largest spots of the bumper with the machine. If not, get a smaller pad.

nah not my car. I'm only gonna touch up some of the black framing on the doors of my car. my M3 is silver so it'll be a while before I detail it.

i'm doing this for my brother who has a black STI. his bumper is a bit more involving to do.

i'll report back once its done. hopefully it goes well.

FStop7

Banned

Beautiful. But SMH @ Porsche for how they've handled this car. It should be available to anybody who can afford one. Not something that has to be fought over with big markups.

Top Bottom