• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Mistel

Banned
Here's the Canepa Cars n Coffee I was at today:

Miura will always be the most beautiful car to me. Thing is just too perfect, except for the Miuras with eyelashes.

ybSQe9B.jpg

Ipk0Dob.jpg
Miura's with the eyelashes are much more graceful than the jota /SVJ styled ones like that one is.
Lol, didn't look for any since I don't have any dogs. Cleared more than $800 on the old car stuff though, so it was a good meet.
What did you get, anything good?

RSP

Lol and I drive a Cayman, so what's that tell ya? :p

Oh also my buddy's P1 that I didn't share along time ago got outted with public pics at a C&C event.

So here it is...
1.jpg

Is that Mark Rein's P1?

Saw it posted on Joe's Fb some time ago.

Nice pics!! Awesome rides. :)))

Yeah PSS are just very average for track after 4-5 laps they lose traction. Will likely go AD08Rs!

Anyone you know actually run the PSS for a few sessions without completely destroying them from just one day of driving? I don't mind that the performance degrades after several laps, but I don't want them to get completely broken down to where chunks are falling off.
I wasn't planning on getting new tires for my trackway but now I'm reading a lot of negative things about the PSS' track performance.

And speaking of track days, looks like it will be raining /storming Tuesday the 21st at Lime Rock. I definitely won't be going if it rains...

rokkerkory

Anyone you know actually run the PSS for a few sessions without completely destroying them from just one day of driving? I don't mind that the performance degrades after several laps, but I don't want them to get completely broken down to where chunks are falling off.
I wasn't planning on getting new tires for my trackway but now I'm reading a lot of negative things about the PSS' track performance.

And speaking of track days, looks like it will be raining /storming Tuesday the 21st at Lime Rock. I definitely won't be going if it rains...

Actually a couple yes. PSS cannot stand long track days or multi track sessions back to back. They are amazing street tires but thats it.

Test drove a Tesla model S P85, holy fucking shit. I'm in, I have no other words to truly explain this technology (calling is just a car is a major understatement).

My next purchase will most definitely will be the upcoming Tesla model 3, give me 350-400 KMs range and I'm in at 40-50k CAD pricing.

Heh, to be fair you gotta have a little crazy in you to drive fast in the rain so I don't blame people if they're scared of driving fast in the rain.

Then again, I do believe that Ayrton Senna is my spirit animal so... lol.

Also, I actually hate car stickers unless it's a sponsorship or whatever but that one on the other hand, it's subtle enough but also hilarious that nobody would notice it unless they're really looking so I'm in! $7 bucks is kinda a steep price though so I'll put away some a drink or two from Starbucks instead haha.

For real. Rain racing is surpisingly exciting, challenging, and it lets you ride the limits of the car without being too brutal on your tires and brakes.

My only experience in the rain is on the streets and racing games so I'm pretty sure my opinion is immediately invalid. But I will say that there's a different kind of concentration required to drive stupid fast in the rain. It's much difficult on corners for obvious reasons but even on the straights I feel like there's a delicate balance you need to stay on in order to not be stupid. But of course, you can only do this on roads that you know that don't flood or can cause you to hydroplane.

That said, it goes without saying, street racing or driving fast is a no no especially if you're not confident enough, wet or dry. I've seen way too many videos on Car Throttle of jackasses thinking they're tough shit when they can't even reel in a V6 Mustang in a straight line.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I think I'm the only person on the planet cross-shopping a Challenger R/T and a Wrangler Unlimited...

Daria

point me in the direction of the right OT if wrong please.

Im looking to find the model of the car I helped on with my father when I was younger. I know it was a Buick, probably late 60s to early 70s. bench seat in the front iirc, maroon interior. this is the only picture I have so far, sorry for its not much help.

7Tbstbq.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
point me in the direction of the right OT if wrong please.

Im looking to find the model of the car I helped on with my father when I was younger. I know it was a Buick, probably late 60s to early 70s. bench seat in the front iirc, maroon interior. this is the only picture I have so far, sorry for its not much help.

7Tbstbq.jpg

Not a chance. You're way off the year. That's an early 80s Buick. And it looks like a LeSabre. Probably a 1980-82 model.

But that is a 5th generation LeSabre. It ran from 1977-1985

moris

I hope I'm posting in the right thread...

Need some advice on my first car purchase.

So far I got this '04 Audi A6 S-Line with ~75k km in excellent condition available to purchase for CAD$8k (friend price). But the only problem is I'm wondering about maintenance costs in the long run (and I have to buy a set of winter tires). Is it worth it? How hard is it to find replacement parts if something breaks? And are yearly maintenance costs too exorbitant for my poor wallet? I'm guessing I'll have to go to a dealership to get it repaired/maintained?

I also have someone selling his '05 A6 4.2 V8 with 168k km for $6900. But I don't know about its condition. Probably not as good as the one above. And I'm not really looking to buy this one but it's just an option.

I don't know anything about cars. :( Please advise. Thanks!

So far I got this '04 Audi A6 S-Line with ~75k km in excellent condition available to purchase for CAD$8k (friend price). But the only problem is I'm wondering about maintenance costs in the long run (and I have to buy a set of winter tires). Is it worth it? How hard is it to find replacement parts if something breaks? And are yearly maintenance costs too exorbitant for my poor wallet? I'm guessing I'll have to go to a dealership to get it repaired/maintained?

I also have someone selling his '05 A6 4.2 V8 with 168k km for $6900. But I don't know about its condition. Probably not as good as the one above. And I'm not really looking to buy this one but it's just an option.

Personally, I'd steer clear of used Audi's. Maintenance on any german car is going to be an issue, especially when we're talking 10+ year old cars.

fwoibles

If you can spend 2000$ on the one or two big things that could go wrong with the car - still a "maybe".

Either way: You don't have to do most stuff in the dealership, parts are easy to come by (VW/Bosch or similar parts).
I don't know which engine it is or what's on offer over there, but DONTs mainly for faults with pistons or injectors are the 3.2 FSI (in general) or 3.0 TDI (if the injectors haven't been changed), the V8 is pretty reliable but a 2005 will bless you with a shitload of near future repairs, mainly cylinder gasket seal and fuelsystem.
2.8 petrol is probably the sweet spot, 2.4 slightly underpowered in terms of torque. 2.7 diesel is great.

I would not buy a petrol engine from 2004 and expect low maintenance cost. All in all I wouldn't do it at all.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm the only person on the planet cross-shopping a Challenger R/T and a Wrangler Unlimited...

Don't buy a Jeep unless you are interested in spending a large amount of time at Moab or want to pretend you go there. FCA needs to update the line to bring in needed changes to reliability and fuel standards but their CEO is busy trying to gull another automaker into buying them out and Jeep sales remain strong regardless of the quality issues.

I need help. I took that old Jalopnik "What car should I buy?" quiz and I got a Porsche 911. I'm never getting out am I?

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/what-car-should-you-buy-take-this-quiz-1670353893

M5. Alright...it's better than one of their terrible 'manual brown wagon' or 'always a miata' meme answers.

moris

Personally, I'd steer clear of used Audi's. Maintenance on any german car is going to be an issue, especially when we're talking 10+ year old cars.

If you can spend 2000$ on the one or two big things that could go wrong with the car - still a "maybe".

[...]

I would not buy a petrol engine from 2004 and expect low maintenance cost. All in all I wouldn't do it at all.

Ah... Now I'm even more undecided. Everyone's been telling to buy it but you guys say no because of high maintenance cost.

I was thinking if it could last me 3-4 years without having me to spend more than 1-2k$ average a year is good enough for me.

matmanx1

Ah... Now I'm even more undecided. Everyone's been telling to buy it but you guys say no because of high maintenance cost.

I was thinking if it could last me 3-4 years without having me to spend more than 1-2k$ average a year is good enough for me.

Generally for low cost and long term reliability you want a Japanese car. German cars can go a long time but they will usually require you to spend more in maintenance and repairs. Like a previous poster said, if you can budget $2k a year or so for those items then the original car might not be a bad idea. If you'd like to spend a lot less than that or don't have that kind of cash easily accessible then I would personally recommend something Japanese (depending on condition and age, of course).

My only experience in the rain is on the streets and racing games so I'm pretty sure my opinion is immediately invalid. But I will say that there's a different kind of concentration required to drive stupid fast in the rain. It's much difficult on corners for obvious reasons but even on the straights I feel like there's a delicate balance you need to stay on in order to not be stupid. But of course, you can only do this on roads that you know that don't flood or can cause you to hydroplane.

That said, it goes without saying, street racing or driving fast is a no no especially if you're not confident enough, wet or dry. I've seen way too many videos on Car Throttle of jackasses thinking they're tough shit when they can't even reel in a V6 Mustang in a straight line.

That's what makes track days in the rain so awesome. You're pushing it to the point where you're asking the question "how much can I hydroplane and keep it on the road?" Let me tell you, when you're asking that question you are having an unbelievably good time.

Really what it lets you do is focus on balancing the weight of the vehicle at a slower speed, which really helps you feel out exactly what's happening. In the dry things happen so much faster that you barely have time to consider what's going on. When you're squeezing the brakes in the wet while trying to turn in, though, you'll surprise yourself with how immediately you'll recognize you're at the point of lockup, and what you can do about it.

HOW ANGRY DOES THIS MAKE YOU FEEL?!

https://vine.co/v/eMEp22d6QYx

I dig the color a lot though.

I don't get it. What is it about cars that some people, who might otherwise not be assholes, feel it's okay to disrespect? I went to a party with a good friend of mine and afterwards when I dropped him off (drunk), he slammed the fuck out of my 911's door. He thought it was funny because I like it so much or something. It'd be like going into someone's house and walking around with muddy boots because lol, why do you care it's just a carpet?

Anyway I'm pissed off at him and ignoring him for now.

I need help. I took that old Jalopnik "What car should I buy?" quiz and I got a Porsche 911. I'm never getting out am I?

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/what-car-should-you-buy-take-this-quiz-1670353893

Give in. Only option.

fwoibles

1-2k will probably do you. As I still don't know which engine you are actually considering and minor stuff can happen to any car: Avoid the 3.2 FSI, there are countless occurences of cylinder wear that causes the engine to fail catastrophically and the german auto forums report up to six engine changes for a single car paid for by Audi. You won't get that for a 10 year old model.
I have a 2008 model, pre-facelift and without Air suspension, otherwise decently specced, no major problems so far. Love it.

moris

1-2k will probably do you. As I still don't know which engine you are actually considering and minor stuff can happen to any car: Avoid the 3.2 FSI, there are countless occurences of cylinder wear that causes the engine to fail catastrophically and the german auto forums report up to six engine changes for a single car paid for by Audi. You won't get that for a 10 year old model.
I have a 2008 model, pre-facelift and without Air suspension, otherwise decently specced, no major problems so far. Love it.
Ah sorry it's the 2.7t. I think I'm gonna go for it. Trying my luck and hoping nothing breaks. I'm getting the car inspected before purchase as well so that will give me the push to either buy or bust.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

AlphaSnake

Avoid at all costs. I had an 05 4.2L and it had tons and tons of issues. The MMI system would die, and required a $2000-2400 repair. I had coolant sensors and oil pressure sensors go - $500 each. Worst of all, at 75K miles, the torque converter on the transmission was conked, and that would've been a $2000 fix. But I traded the car in at that point.

Older Audi A6s are even worse. The parts on them are EXTREMELY expensive and so is the labor, because parts are not in production and limited. I would highly advise you stay far away from such a used Audi. I've learned my lesson.

Avoid at all costs. I had an 05 4.2L and it had tons and tons of issues. The MMI system would die, and required a $2000-2400 repair. I had coolant sensors and oil pressure sensors go - $500 each. Worst of all, at 75K miles, the torque converter on the transmission was conked, and that would've been a $2000 fix. But I traded the car in at that point.

Older Audi A6s are even worse. The parts on them are EXTREMELY expensive and so is the labor, because parts are not in production and limited. I would highly advise you stay far away from such a used Audi. I've learned my lesson.

I know of two A6s from the early 21st century that have caught fire while parked. One took the owner's house with it.

Avoid.

EDIT: took quiz, got Miata. Quelle surprise.

fwoibles

Ah sorry it's the 2.7t. I think I'm gonna go for it. Trying my luck and hoping nothing breaks. I'm getting the car inspected before purchase as well so that will give me the push to either buy or bust.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

Erm, the C5/4B-Model 2.7 Turbo? A friend of mine had one, reliable apart from the Turbos, the engine is not tuning happy. Thought you were talking about 4F.

Jackson

My hype levels are at a new high with these pictures. I can't wait to see what the Japanese aftermarket will do with them, once they are released.

I'm like the opposite. I'm so over this car, too much marketing, not enough stats/impressions and waaaaay too much time. 3+ years of showing the same minor mods with no stats and no driving impressions?

Maybe it's incredible! But right now...

Pass.

Its so funny that Chevy still hasn't released a ring time for the Z06 yet. I'm betting it doesn't top the 7:08 that the Nismo set.

The old geezers on corvette forum who spend more time there than in their car will be so disappointed.

AlphaSnake

I'm like the opposite. I'm so over this car, too much marketing, not enough stats/impressions and waaaaay too much time. 3+ years of showing the same minor mods with no stats and no driving impressions?

Pass.

I'm about in the same boat.

I also don't find the car particularly attractive...especially the taillights which look like they could be slapped on a new Civic?

And the fact that I don't know shit about this car still makes me wonder about it.

But then again, Acura's marketing department is arguably the worst in the industry. How they expect to compete against cars like the R8, Porsche 911, Jag F-Type, Z06, etc is beyond me. And we don't even know exactly what the price point will be.

Pass.

Agreed.

I think the perfect analogy for it is Final Fantasy 15. We know it exists, we know it looks futuristic, we know it went through numerous revisions and some have even played it and say it's a great game, but we've seen the same damn thing over and over again that all the hype is down the toilet.

Its so funny that Chevy still hasn't released a ring time for the Z06 yet. I'm betting it doesn't top the 7:08 that the Nismo set.

Well yeah, the farthest one Z06 has reached is 891 miles and another example 6 fnckin' miles.

There's a reason why nobody buys Corvettes in Germany, it's coz the engine starts whimpering the moment it crosses the border in fear of the Nordschleife.

I'm obviously joking about the whole thing... partially lol.

Top Bottom