• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Bandit1

Porsche thread back on track!

2016 911 refresh spied:

Porsche_911_991_003.jpg

Porsche_911_991_001-L.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/porsche-991-facelift-undisguised/32549

Akomix

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for awhile and figured I'd introduce myself, I mean, my cars.

I daily an 04 STi and have a 1990, now 1987, RX-7 project car that is currently underway. I hope to have it completed by summer next year.

The STi:

Both RX-7's before stripping them:
Ri1b.jpg

matmanx1

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for awhile and figured I'd introduce myself, I mean, my cars.

I daily an 04 STi and have a 1990, now 1987, RX-7 project car that is currently underway. I hope to have it completed by summer next year.

The STi:

Ri1b.jpg

Welcome! I like your cars, especially the STi.

2.7 H6 and 3.0 H6 Turbos now. 370HP and 420HP...which I must say is impressive.

Porsche purists will have a shit fit, though

Yeah I can't say I favor the "everything was turbo" direction that the auto industry is in right now but I totally understand why. CAFE standards and governmental requirements are behind it, for the most part, but I don't have to like it.

The silly part is that a turbo car on boost will get worse gas mileage than a non turbo car of the same displacement the majority of the time. And if you drive a sports car the way it is meant to be given you should be on boost.

That being said I am sure Porsche will do a good job with these. It isn't like they are going to allow a crappy 911 to go on sale these days.

The thing is, Porsche make perfect cars in a lot of cases IMO. If I were to get a panamera GTS what the hell do you mod? A 911 GT3? Or a Cayman GT4? It would just feel wrong modding a car like that.

You can't improve on perfection.

That's a little much. :p

Porsches are like the Honda Civic of the high end sportscar world, everybody mods the fuck out of them.

2.7 H6 and 3.0 H6 Turbos now. 370HP and 420HP...which I must say is impressive.

Porsche purists will have a shit fit, though

I wouldn't call myself a purist but I still don't like it. Turbo motors just aren't as snappy and they sound awful relative to their N/A counterparts. The worst of it is that if they go turbo across the range, are they still going to spend solid development time putting together a high revving, N/A GT3 motor, or are we at the last iteration of that as well?

That'd be a real shame, the GT3 motors are pure sex.

Edit: What this means is that the 991 GT3 RS is going to be one pricey damn car thirty years from now.

Smokey

Cruising on the toll road this afternoon with my wife. Moving at a brisk pace. All of a sudden a red cla45 amg appears. Trying to keep pace. I speed up. Soon we are going at it on this empty toll toad. I hit 115 and my wife starts her "omg we are not doing this" routine lol.

Then outta fucking no where a cayenne turbo s goes speeding by like...yall aint shit lmao.

I was humbled

mkenyon

Banned
Cruising on the toll road this afternoon with my wife. Moving at a brisk pace. All of a sudden a red cla45 amg appears. Trying to keep pace. I speed up. Soon we are going at it on this empty toll toad. I hit 115 and my wife starts her "omg we are not doing this" routine lol.

Then outta fucking no where a cayenne turbo s goes speeding by like...yall aint shit lmao.

I was humbled
Truth hurts?

Gorgeous, that is one clean STi.

TCRS

Banned
tfw no 180k euro in the bank to buy a naturally aspirated porsche 911 4s cabrio. the new one looks lamer as well, the current one is an absolute beaut.

Bandit1

The STi:

Ri1b.jpg

Cool cars! Very nice STi.

Jackson

The STi:

Ri1b.jpg

Welcome! Digging the old school FC love!

I was humbled

I was similarly humbled. A '15 M6 GC rolled up to me going about 30 late at night on an empty street. I got dusted so hard. I googled their 0-60. 3.4 lol :(

Bandit1

I was humbled

I was similarly humbled. A '15 M6 GC rolled up to me going about 30 late at night on an empty street. I got dusted so hard. I googled their 0-60. 3.4 lol :(

I know that feel. Got beat by a Nova with two four barrels sticking out of the hood today.

Subaru GAF Unite!

Welcome to the thread. Oh and whats the plan with the RX-7?

Akomix

Subaru GAF Unite!

Welcome to the thread. Oh and whats the plan with the RX-7?

Just a simple restoration. Well...maybe I lied a bit; there is quite a large mod list already for the parts that I just have sitting in my house. I decided to make it a MazdaSpeed oriented build, interior wise, so I've acquired the strut bars, steering wheel, shift knob, and pedals. I have two Bride Zeta Sport-C's ready to go in as well. On the outside I've acquired a majority of the JDM parts (side markers, turn signals, fog lights, side mirrors, and side moldings). I've also purchased the Shine Auto front lip, side skirts, and rear guards. I'm currently getting it prepped for painting, going from red to white. The white shell is unusable. My inspiration for the build has been this gentleman's car:
Dj1b.jpg

So Tesla announced a few new configurations of the Model S and also...

Ludicrous mode. Yup, it now does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. That's mind boggling.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So Tesla announced a few new configurations of the Model S and also...

Ludicrous mode. Yup, it now does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. That's mind boggling.

10.9 seconds 1/4 mile...

Wow.

I just hope the trap-speed is worthy of all that. Teslas have a propensity to crap out above 100MPH.

cube444

After my most recent mods, I've got 320/510 to the wheels. Not too bad for a diesel. Only issue now is the balding MPSS on the rear as it's been 4 summers for them. :lol

Think I'll have the itch for something new in about 2 years from now.

Oxn

Well,

I went to test drive the 2011 G37 today, and ... I think Imma go in and buy it tomorrow.

I also tested the 2014 Jetta SE, the one with the 1.8T engine. And boy is that engine suprising and nice and peppy. Interior is junk, but man that driving was precise. I understand what people say about german cars now.

Had no idea the V6 Coupes still came with the MT.

It's a great car too, especially if you can tolerate Honda's high-ass catch point with the clutch.

My friend has one and I got DD duties one night and it was a very comfortable cruiser. I just hated that fncking clutch though, I'm just so used to the catch point being literally 2-inches off the firewall like my Miata so it was quite a struggle at first and I kept stalling it, thank god I was in stop and go traffic and I was able to pick it up after a few tries lol.

Hell I wouldn't mind one if I really really had to get a backseat and had to account for fuel economy.

Enron

Banned
Good.

If you're getting a coupe, try to find an IPL Coupe. Better suspension and more power, plus some extra body add-ons which look quite nice.

just BARELY more power, though. I really liked the IPL when it came out, but it's hard to find.

I'm probably going to buy another sedan, but I really like the looks of the coupe. The backseat kills it for me, though.

Just a simple restoration. Well...maybe I lied a bit; there is quite a large mod list already for the parts that I just have sitting in my house. I decided to make it a MazdaSpeed oriented build, interior wise, so I've acquired the strut bars, steering wheel, shift knob, and pedals. I have two Bride Zeta Sport-C's ready to go in as well. On the outside I've acquired a majority of the JDM parts (side markers, turn signals, fog lights, side mirrors, and side moldings). I've also purchased the Shine Auto front lip, side skirts, and rear guards. I'm currently getting it prepped for painting, going from red to white. The white shell is unusable. My inspiration for the build has been this gentleman's car:

Sounds awesome my man! Be sure to keep up posted!

Bandit1

Anything with Rocket 455 does really other than probably the motor homes they ended up in.

Let's take a moment to reflect that when the 455 Oldsmobile was first produced in 1968 that it was placed in the front wheel drive Toronado and produced 375hp and 500 lb ft of torque..

Mistel

Banned
Let's take a moment to reflect that when the 455 Oldsmobile was first produced in 1968 that it was placed in the front wheel drive Toronado and produced 375hp and 500 lb ft of torque..
The 500 lb ft of torque is the W34 version with 400hp, non W34 Rocket 455's had 375hp with 510 lb ft of torque.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Test drove a beautiful blue 2015 Challenger R/T Plus this week. It's the second time I've drove the new '15.

Sticker was right around $38K. Doing some research, it looks like I could snag it around $35K. Leather, 8.4" U-Connect, MT, premium wheels - pretty slick.

I love the size - I know a lot of people hate it for that reason, but at 6'2" it's nice feeling comfortable in a car. The trunk is huge, and the backseat is at least somewhat useable (kinda).

Just wish it had a tiny bit more power. I know it's heavy, and the 375HP V8 is on the lowest end of the new muscle car wars - but the thing is, there's ALWAYS something faster, and it's still plenty to have fun with. But, I do wish it had a little more passing power. On the freeway, the 65-80MPH pass didn't have quite as much "oomph" as I'd like.

It's definitely on my short list for next vehicle. I definitely can't wait to see the 2016 Camaro in person and test-drive that. Otherwise, every other car on my list is a fair bit over what I want to spend.

Oxn

Well,

I went to test drive the 2011 G37 today, and ... I think Imma go in and buy it tomorrow.

I also tested the 2014 Jetta SE, the one with the 1.8T engine. And boy is that engine suprising and nice and peppy. Interior is junk, but man that driving was precise. I understand what people say about german cars now.

Yeah, it's a great car. Enjoy!

Just got the car!!

Cant post picture cause I am just mentally and physically exhausted from this whole process.

AlphaSnake

Just got the car!!

Cant post picture cause I am just mentally and physically exhausted from this whole process.

Woo! Good job.

Buying cars, especially in NYC, royally sucks. The finance department always tries to tack on some bullshit at the end.

Oxn

I got it in white plains.

I dunno if i shouldve but i also bought the 5 year warranty. They said i cAn cancel it anytime i want, so i went ahead and got it. Feel it out till after winter and see if i should keep it.

Also the finance rate was 4.2 over 6 years, so that sucks, but i plan on paying it all back in 2 years, so i aint too worried.

Suprisingly no extra fiance fees were tacked on.

AlphaSnake

I got it in white plains.

I dunno if i shouldve but i also bought the 5 year warranty. They said i cAn cancel it anytime i want, so i went ahead and got it. Feel it out till after winter and see if i should keep it.

Also the finance rate was 4.2 over 6 years, so that sucks, but i plan on paying it all back in 2 years, so i aint too worried.

Suprisingly no extra fiance fees were tacked on.

If you buy out your car in 2 years, you will still owe the remainder of the interest on it. It's not like a house mortgage where you have principle and interest separately. On a car payment, the interest you agree to when you buy the car must be paid off in full even if you fulfill your payments early.

You can't defer on interest on an autoloan. So if you're total interest is $3000 on the amount financed which = xx,xxx total, you have to pay the full amount including the total interest. That is the case 99% of the time, that is how dealers make their money because they get kickbacks from the banks based on the total value of interest.

Oxn

If you buy out your car in 2 years, you will still owe the remainder of the interest on it. It's not like a house mortgage where you have principle and interest separately. On a car payment, the interest you agree to when you buy the car must be paid off in full even if you fulfill your payments early.

You can't defer on interest on an autoloan. So if you're total interest is $3000 on the amount financed which = xx,xxx total, you have to pay the full amount including the total interest. That is the case 99% of the time, that is how dealers make their money because they get kickbacks from the banks based on the total value of interest.

Thats not what i heard at all

Just read my contract and it says if you pay off your contract early, you will not have to pay the penalty.

Doesn't this depend? Looking at my information, it is of course explained, as required, the interest and the length of the loan and my monthly payment and total finance charge assuming minimum payments.

But if I go online to see my car payoff, it is the total amount currently outstanding without any extra interest charges. When I traded in my previous car with a balance, it was the same thing. I didn't have to pay the interest that would have accrued for the rest of the loan. Just the interest that was outstanding up to the date of payment. Otherwise how could anyone ever refinance a loan? The fees would be outrageous.

Edit: Maybe different states have different rules. I'm in Florida and I have yet to encounter what you describe.

Oxn

Doesn't this depend? Looking at my information, it is of course explained, as required, the interest and the length of the loan and my monthly payment and total finance charge assuming minimum payments.

But if I go online to see my car payoff, it is the total amount currently outstanding without any extra interest charges. When I traded in my previous car with a balance, it was the same thing. I didn't have to pay the interest that would have accrued for the rest of the loan. Just the interest that was outstanding up to the date of payment. Otherwise how could anyone ever refinance a loan? The fees would be outrageous.

Edit: Maybe different states have different rules. I'm in Florida and I have yet to encounter what you describe.

My exact same impressions.

My friend paid off his car early, and didnt have to pay the remaining unterest
My brother in law did the same, and same results.

I was jus explained the same thing by the finance guy, and it even specifies that on the contract.

Not true. Simple interest seems more common than pre-compounded interest for car loans in US, going by when I was shopping around a couple of years ago.
I paid off my loan in 1.5 years instead of 3. Total interest of $300 instead of $700 if I had paid over 3 years.

Only thing to watch out for is any pre-payment penalties.

track folks,

do most people bring their own fuel to the track or do they pay the ridiculous track prices?

i'm wondering if i can bring two 5 gallon jugs myself...

Top Bottom