• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Daria

Not a chance. You're way off the year. That's an early 80s Buick. And it looks like a LeSabre. Probably a 1980-82 model.

But that is a 5th generation LeSabre. It ran from 1977-1985

Thank you for the help! Does anybody know how well these cars hold up as a project car and if they're pretty easy to find? If my mind treats me better than it did with the year i thought it was, the original had a 454 BB in it. Would it be a wise choice still in todays market? I just want to get an old body, drop a new engine in it and have it run to bring back memories.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Thank you for the help! Does anybody know how well these cars hold up as a project car and if they're pretty easy to find? If my mind treats me better than it did with the year i thought it was, the original had a 454 BB in it. Would it be a wise choice still in todays market? I just want to get an old body, drop a new engine in it and have it run to bring back memories.

Unless you find one somewhere in California or in Florida, perhaps even Arizona, you have a high likelihood of seeing a lot of cars with tons of rust on them. They're super easy to work on because they are old and simple.

Mohonky

I'm like the opposite. I'm so over this car, too much marketing, not enough stats/impressions and waaaaay too much time. 3+ years of showing the same minor mods with no stats and no driving impressions?

Maybe it's incredible! But right now...

Pass.

It 'looks' heavy and given the powertrain they want, it'll be heavy.

I don't really understand the appeal of this thing, it doesn't look that great either. I'm actually not expecting all that much from the performance of this thing.

Bandit1

I believe Alpha is right about the model of the car, might be an 82 or an 83. I don't know much about these particular cars but a couple of quick searches tells me that the biggest displacement for an engine in these cars would be in the form of a 403 Oldsmobile. While large in displacement, this is actually a small block. As far as finding a car, it's sad to say but many cars of the late seventies through the early nineties have been scrapped, a big heavy Buick would have brought a lot of money over the scales when prices were high a few years back. That said, they are still out there, you just might have to do some digging. Try your local Craigslist and Ebay if that fails. If you can't find one with a good engine, the best way to go would be a 350 Chevy. They are much more plentiful than Buick and Oldsmobile engines, parts are easier to get and usually inexpensive.

Enron

Banned
Am being tempted by a 2011 3-series. Say I were to find one with 30-40k miles.....at what point do things start going south that i have to shell out a grand or so on upkeep a year?

I should probably just forget it and get a 2012/13 g37 but man the bmw drives so nice...

Am being tempted by a 2011 3-series. Say I were to find one with 30-40k miles.....at what point do things start going south that i have to shell out a grand or so on upkeep a year?

I should probably just forget it and get a 2012/13 g37 but man the bmw drives so nice...

Is it out of warranty?

Never buy a BMW out of warranty...

Evo X

It was perfect weather out, so I decided to go for a nice drive at 5am today. Love the serenity in the air before dawn. Roads are all but clear of traffic. There's no distractions or responsibilities. It's just you and the car. Perfect time to unwind from the daily hustle and bustle and just enjoy the present moment. Ended up by Lake Michigan and caught the sunrise.

vqgKQQF.jpg

tEWEBQw.jpg

nyrPY4V.jpg

I need help. I took that old Jalopnik "What car should I buy?" quiz and I got a Porsche 911. I'm never getting out am I?

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/what-car-should-you-buy-take-this-quiz-1670353893

Surprise, I got Porsche 911 as well. lol

I think the perfect analogy for it is Final Fantasy 15. We know it exists, we know it looks futuristic, we know it went through numerous revisions and some have even played it and say it's a great game, but we've seen the same damn thing over and over again that all the hype is down the toilet.

Yes, we all know Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to be the superior game. :D

Enron

Banned

AlphaSnake

It would have a warranty, but still - what are the cost of upkeep like on these cars once they get to be 4, 5 years old?

This is something repeatedly covered here, avoid falling into this trap. You WILL spend that $1K almost immediately. A 2011 is waiting for a water pump to go, much like any other older E9x 3-series.

I owned a 335i Coupe, and while it was a great car, shit went all kinds of wrong after 45K miles. I sold it around 47K full well knowing it needed an assortment of fixes that were just waiting to go - the water pump being one of them. Just trust me when I say this, there are better options out there. Go and lease a new 335 instead, if you really want a BMW.

If you're committed to a BMW, well set aside at least $3000 for repairs and maintenance over the next 2 years of ownership. A lot of maintenance is required at BMW ($130/hour) because only they can 'code' your car with their diagnostic tools and let it know new hardware was installed or updated.

Also, you'll likely soon need a new battery. You can't go to AutoZone and drop one in yourself. Nope. BMW only and it'll run you around $500. :)

I have no clue how I missed these posts lol.

I need help. I took that old Jalopnik "What car should I buy?" quiz and I got a Porsche 911. I'm never getting out am I?

I honestly tried to answer as honest as I could and I still got a Miata hahaha.

On that same note, I went for a spirited drive today coz I was off work and I had a realization that led me to ask myself this question... if I had a lightweight car do I really need more than 200hp for a daily driver?

I think I'm gonna be exploring the answer to this question before I fully decide what I buy next year.

That's what makes track days in the rain so awesome. You're pushing it to the point where you're asking the question "how much can I hydroplane and keep it on the road?" Let me tell you, when you're asking that question you are having an unbelievably good time.

Really what it lets you do is focus on balancing the weight of the vehicle at a slower speed, which really helps you feel out exactly what's happening. In the dry things happen so much faster that you barely have time to consider what's going on. When you're squeezing the brakes in the wet while trying to turn in, though, you'll surprise yourself with how immediately you'll recognize you're at the point of lockup, and what you can do about it.

Yeah, it's something I wish racing and especially driving schools put more thought in as you can learn a lot of things about how your car performs under the rain and it obviously can translate to dry conditions.

I actually get annoyed at how Texas drivers slow the fnck down when it's pouring out. I understand if it's winter or if there's a tornado in the distance and you just shit your pants... but if it's just regular rain showers... I don't understand why you gotta slow down to 45 in a 70mph highway just coz the man above can't aim properly for the toilet.

Heh, I actually wish it was reversed and KH3 was the one with the endless amount of info. It's been 10 years since KH2 came out... 10 years ago I was but an awkward as fnck 9th band nerd and those memories have been long locked in a vault that I flushed the key down the toilet haha.

No, I don't know why I'm talking a lot about toilets right now lol.

matmanx1

This topic seems to come up fairly frequently and the answer is: it depends. A lot of the trouble spots for BMW are in the electronics and the N54 turbo motor so if you avoid those you can stack the deck in your favor.

I have an out of warranty 128i, 2009 model which has the N52 normally aspirated inline six and it has 66,000 miles as of this week. I've put a battery in it (you normally get 6 - 7 years out of a BMW battery) for $300 and had two minor oil leaks fixed (oil filter housing and valve cover gasket) for $900. At $95 an hour, most of that was labor.

I plan on keeping the car for a minimum of three years and will be proactive with maintenance. I have a good independent BMW mechanic shop that I trust and they say that the car is in good shape. Hopefully the major mechanicals will prove to be reliable but if not I am keeping an emergency car fund on tap just in case.

If you find a well cared for 3 series with the N52 that doesn't go overboard with iDrive, 4 wheel drive, adaptive headlights, etc. then I would go for it. They certainly do drive extremely well and the inline six is a fantastic overall motor.

It was perfect weather out, so I decided to go for a nice drive at 5am today. Love the serenity in the air before dawn. Roads are all but clear of traffic. There's no distractions or responsibilities. It's just you and the car. Perfect time to unwind from the daily hustle and bustle and just enjoy the present moment. Ended up by Lake Michigan and caught the sunrise.

vqgKQQF.jpg

tEWEBQw.jpg

nyrPY4V.jpg

Surprise, I got Porsche 911 as well. lol

Gorgeous photos. Good call on the morning drive.

It would have a warranty, but still - what are the cost of upkeep like on these cars once they get to be 4, 5 years old?

I got the M5. Well, that ain't happenin'

Like I said, it depends. My independent shop charges $95 an hour. Oil changes for full synthetic are $60 and my shop recommends 7,500 miles between changes (BMW's recommendation can go as high as 15,000!). It seems like the minor oil leaks are common with the N52 and the N54 and are more of a nuisance than something that will kill your car so that is always something to look out for.

This thread breaks it down much better than I could even though it is specifically talking about the 1 series most of that stuff applies to the 3 series as well. As with all things, do your research, know your budget and make the best decision you can with the knowledge that you have.

G37's are fun cars, by the way. I traded one for my 128i. The BMW drives better, definitely, but the G37 is a solid choice that will likely not have the maintenance issues of the BMW.

I told myself that I wanted to wait till I head to Japan next year to order parts for my STI, but I ended up going a bit crazy.

I pretty much have everything to go stage 3, though I don't want to swap out the turbo, nor push the HP /TW range since I haven't built the block.

I still need to sort out fueling, but I'll be speaking to my tuner more these upcomming weeks.

rokkerkory

vqgKQQF.jpg

tEWEBQw.jpg

nyrPY4V.jpg

yum <3

Daria

apparently doing an engine swap on a Dodge Caravan is quite difficult? and same goes for replacing a head gasket? my mom has a cylinder 1 misfire and I'm trying to find the cheapest possible fix to have it last a few more years. it's an 05 with 195k so it's getting close to the end but if I can fight with it for a couple weeks and cost isn't astronomical, I'll think about doing it.

Mistel

Banned
I assume you're also going to get an adapter plate for the trans to go from the BOP bolt pattern to the chevy and the motor plates? Might want to do something about the rear axle and find one stronger that fits from another GM A body.
apparently doing an engine swap on a Dodge Caravan is quite difficult? and same goes for replacing a head gasket? my mom has a cylinder 1 misfire and I'm trying to find the cheapest possible fix to have it last a few more years. it's an 05 with 195k so it's getting close to the end but if I can fight with it for a couple weeks and cost isn't astronomical, I'll think about doing it.
Might seem silly but have you checked the plugs? As for a Dodge Caravan I don't know much but if you do decide to fit a new engine in get it from another 05 as the previous models used different sensors if it's a 3.3 V6 model.

Daria

Might seem silly but have you checked the plugs? As for a Dodge Caravan I don't know much but if you do decide to fit a new engine in get it from another 05 as the previous models used different sensors if it's a 3.3 V6 model.

we changed the plugs, ignition coil, air test, whole nine yards and still coming back with a cylinder 1 misfire. it only misses at idle, after that it's good to go once you press the gas.

I was thinking of checking a junk yard around town to see if I can find another engine from a 05 but that might just open up another can of worms. the only other option I thought of was replacing the head gasket but a buddy told me the side mounted motor (? I didn't know much at the time) is a PITA to work on.

mkenyon

Banned

#teamred was right all along. God damn that looks incredible.

FStop7

Banned
I'm like the opposite. I'm so over this car, too much marketing, not enough stats/impressions and waaaaay too much time. 3+ years of showing the same minor mods with no stats and no driving impressions?

Maybe it's incredible! But right now...

Pass.

One of the smartest things Porsche did during the prolonged development of the 918 was let journalists drive and film it while it was still a work in progress.

Mistel

Banned
we changed the plugs, ignition coil, air test, whole nine yards and still coming back with a cylinder 1 misfire. it only misses at idle, after that it's good to go once you press the gas.

I was thinking of checking a junk yard around town to see if I can find another engine from a 05 but that might just open up another can of worms. the only other option I thought of was replacing the head gasket but a buddy told me the side mounted motor (? I didn't know much at the time) is a PITA to work on.
With transverse it can be a pain depending on the orientation of the engine within the vehicle. If it's not the one near the fire wall it should be rather easy just taking the cylinder head off and putting the new gasket. The Haynes manual for that model will cover it in much greater detail if you have one.

I just want to see how fast the damn NSX is. They were so up front with the Type R and it's 7:50 on the Ring that their silence has me worried.

Enron

Banned
This topic seems to come up fairly frequently and the answer is: it depends. A lot of the trouble spots for BMW are in the electronics and the N54 turbo motor so if you avoid those you can stack the deck in your favor.

I have an out of warranty 128i, 2009 model which has the N52 normally aspirated inline six and it has 66,000 miles as of this week. I've put a battery in it (you normally get 6 - 7 years out of a BMW battery) for $300 and had two minor oil leaks fixed (oil filter housing and valve cover gasket) for $900. At $95 an hour, most of that was labor.

I plan on keeping the car for a minimum of three years and will be proactive with maintenance. I have a good independent BMW mechanic shop that I trust and they say that the car is in good shape. Hopefully the major mechanicals will prove to be reliable but if not I am keeping an emergency car fund on tap just in case.

If you find a well cared for 3 series with the N52 that doesn't go overboard with iDrive, 4 wheel drive, adaptive headlights, etc. then I would go for it. They certainly do drive extremely well and the inline six is a fantastic overall motor.

Gorgeous photos. Good call on the morning drive.

Like I said, it depends. My independent shop charges $95 an hour. Oil changes for full synthetic are $60 and my shop recommends 7,500 miles between changes (BMW's recommendation can go as high as 15,000!). It seems like the minor oil leaks are common with the N52 and the N54 and are more of a nuisance than something that will kill your car so that is always something to look out for.

This thread breaks it down much better than I could even though it is specifically talking about the 1 series most of that stuff applies to the 3 series as well. As with all things, do your research, know your budget and make the best decision you can with the knowledge that you have.

G37's are fun cars, by the way. I traded one for my 128i. The BMW drives better, definitely, but the G37 is a solid choice that will likely not have the maintenance issues of the BMW.

Yeah. I have a g35 now since 2011 and all ive had to do was change a cam sensor which i did myself (other than tires, brakes, oil, etc) . Im 90% sure im just going to buy a g37 but man was that 3 sweet.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I got the caterham classic.

Also, put in an order for a electronic boost controller and upper inter cooler pipe kit for the evo x. No going back now. Ill sit on em till I order a high flow cat and cat back, then get a protune. I imagine driving away from the shop I'll notice a significant difference.

Jackson

A friend of mine noticed this new trend of modded JDM cars with huge rear wings, but they are angled completely down while driving on the streets.

Is this a next trend of screwing up your car by adding a giant airbrake? Like the same way stancing screws up the purpose of negative camber? lol

100_2245.jpg

Anyone else seen this trend around their area?

FStop7

Banned
Cool, so let's add a ton of drag and possibly further lighten up the front end of a front wheel drive car. Enjoy your understeer.

AlphaSnake

Yeah. I have a g35 now since 2011 and all ive had to do was change a cam sensor which i did myself (other than tires, brakes, oil, etc) . Im 90% sure im just going to buy a g37 but man was that 3 sweet.

Good.

If you're getting a coupe, try to find an IPL Coupe. Better suspension and more power, plus some extra body add-ons which look quite nice.

They're actually not too bad to work on. We have a 94 caravan with the 3.3l v6 and I've never really run into trouble working on it.

Did you do a compression test? Also 195k isn't that much. Ours has 260k and still runs great. Its just the transmissions in these years were shit.

GHG

Gold Member
Has anyone here test driven/owned a BMW M5 F10? If so what's it like to live with and is there anything I need to be looking out for if considering one of these used?

It's the current performance "bargain" in Dubai on the used car market and I'm looking at 2012/13 models. To put things into perspective, I can get one for about the same price that Audi are selling new S3's here with magnetic ride added on. At that point it becomes a no-brainer for me.

If I go through with it first thing I do is fix the exhaust though. I'd want to get mine sounding something like this since the stock exhaust is so pathetic:

http://youtu.be/hVbKlicZEf8

A friend of mine noticed this new trend of modded JDM cars with huge rear wings, but they are angled completely down while driving on the streets.

Is this a next trend of screwing up your car by adding a giant airbrake? Like the same way stancing screws up the purpose of negative camber? lol

100_2245.jpg

Are vice grips and 3/8" drive ratchets the new NOS stickers?

matmanx1

100_2245.jpg

That looks horrible. Why would you do that to your car?

AlphaSnake

Has anyone here test driven/owned a BMW M5 F10? If so what's it like to live with and is there anything I need to be looking out for if considering one of these used?

It's the current performance "bargain" in Dubai on the used car market and I'm looking at 2012/13 models. To put things into perspective, I can get one for about the same price that Audi are selling new S3's here with magnetic ride added on. At that point it becomes a no-brainer for me.

If I go through with it first thing I do is fix the exhaust though. I'd want to get mine sounding something like this since the stock exhaust is so pathetic:

I gotta say, my brother's M6 has been extremely reliable. That's his DD too and unlike his E63 M6, he hasn't had any massive issues with it that warranty hasn't covered very early on. There was an instance of a fuel pump failure, but that seems to occur really early on in these cars, so check the history and make sure it's been replaced. If not, it's crazy expensive out of warranty - I believe $2000, because it's unique to the M cars.

Also, these cars eat through batteries. The TTV8 motors are extremely demanding on the batteries, and BMW is replacing them with every scheduled 10K mile oil change for free. But out of warranty, this will be a $500-700 job...every 10K miles. See here:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...710/enginerdy-strange-connections-bmw-n63-v8/

GHG

Gold Member
I gotta say, my brother's M6 has been extremely reliable. That's his DD too and unlike his E63 M6, he hasn't had any massive issues with it that warranty hasn't covered very early on. There was an instance of a fuel pump failure, but that seems to occur really early on in these cars, so check the history and make sure it's been replaced. If not, it's crazy expensive out of warranty - I believe $2000, because it's unique to the M cars.

Also, these cars eat through batteries. The TTV8 motors are extremely demanding on the batteries, and BMW is replacing them with every scheduled 10K mile oil change for free. But out of warranty, this will be a $500-700 job...every 10K miles. See here:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...710/enginerdy-strange-connections-bmw-n63-v8/

Yeh I have an x6 50i with the n63 engine at the moment so I'm well aware of the common issues with the engine if the s63 used in the m5/6 isn't a huge departure from this engine.

Funnily enough, mine has been fine (touches wood) battery wise, haven't had any issues there. The only issue I had with the engine (vanos bank 1 failure) was related to the insanely long (20k) oil change intervals which I understand have now since been adjusted down to 10k. These engines do have a habit of burning through engine oil though. Do you know how often he has to top that up?

All in all it should be a win win scenario since I'll be going from being without warranty to having warranty again for at least another 2/3 years.

Needs to be reliable and comfortable though since it will replace my x6 as my DD.

FStop7

Banned

I test drove one and thought it was spectacularly boring for the money (about $100k US)

If it were a lot cheaper it would probably be more attractive

GHG

Gold Member
I test drove one and thought it was spectacularly boring for the money (about $100k US)

If it were a lot cheaper it would probably be more attractive

Well I do mostly highway driving here in Dubai, not much in the way or twisty winding roads unfortunately so if its a competent highway cruiser with monster acceleration that suits me just fine.

I've also looked at the M6 and the RS5 but neither are depreciating nearly as much as the M5 is here. And then also with the latter, I just don't feel its powerful enough despite the high reving naturally aspirated engine being a bit of a draw.

So what it comes down to is the Panamera Turbo (but a 2010/11 one) or the M5 (2012/13).

Daria

They're actually not too bad to work on. We have a 94 caravan with the 3.3l v6 and I've never really run into trouble working on it.

Did you do a compression test? Also 195k isn't that much. Ours has 260k and still runs great. Its just the transmissions in these years were shit.

oops yeah, that's what I meant by saying air test and everything came back normal for the most part afaik. the first garage who did the test said he couldn't find the issue, it was the second garage who said its a bad head gasket. I'm going to have to dig up a couple manuals to see how it's set up because if it'll last another 75-90k after fixing it would be fantastic. other than some body rust and the idle shake it's a great vehicle, she loves driving it.

AlphaSnake

Well I do mostly highway driving here in Dubai, not much in the way or twisty winding roads unfortunately so if its a competent highway cruiser with monster acceleration that suits me just fine.

I've also looked at the M6 and the RS5 but neither are depreciating nearly as much as the M5 is here. And then also with the latter, I just don't feel its powerful enough despite the high reving naturally aspirated engine being a bit of a draw.

So what it comes down to is the Panamera Turbo (but a 2010/11 one) or the M5 (2012/13).

Get the M5.

The RS5 is a slow car by today's standards. With an old interior.

FStop7

Banned

Never driven the Panamera Turbo but the RS5 is really not worth it. Out of the cars you listed it would be a choice between the Panamera or the M5 depending on which I enjoyed more.

mkenyon

Banned

#autogafconfessions

I absolutely adore the Panamera Turbo, and if money were no object, it'd be between that and a Macan for my DD. Matt Farah loves it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P59GTQnG0Y

oops yeah, that's what I meant by saying air test and everything came back normal for the most part afaik. the first garage who did the test said he couldn't find the issue, it was the second garage who said its a bad head gasket. I'm going to have to dig up a couple manuals to see how it's set up because if it'll last another 75-90k after fixing it would be fantastic. other than some body rust and the idle shake it's a great vehicle, she loves driving it.

I'd check out some dodge forums, you might be able to better narrow it down. They make that engine for like 20 years and put it in almost everything, so there should be tons of info for it.

You said it was only at idle right? How bad does it miss? Seems odd its fine while driving.

Jackson

Never driven an M5, but wasn't impressed with the RS5 I test drove.

However I rented a 2013 Panamera S for a week for San Diego Comic-con a few years back and it was excellent. The turbo can be only better.

Porsche thread back on track!

GHG

Gold Member
Never driven an M5, but wasn't impressed with the RS5 I test drove.

However I rented a 2013 Panamera S for a week for San Diego Comic-con a few years back and it was excellent. The turbo can be only better.

Porsche thread back on track!

#autogafconfessions

I absolutely adore the Panamera Turbo, and if money were no object, it'd be between that and a Macan for my DD. Matt Farah loves it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P59GTQnG0Y

Never driven the Panamera Turbo but the RS5 is really not worth it. Out of the cars you listed it would be a choice between the Panamera or the M5 depending on which I enjoyed more.

Get the M5.

The RS5 is a slow car by today's standards. With an old interior.

Thanks guys.

I'm glad the 2 options I've narrowed it down to are the right ones.

Deep down, I think once all is said and done I'll end up with a panamera turbo (or the GTS if I fall in love with the the exhaust note and engine) since from what I'm reading the PDK is all round the better gearbox than the DCT in the M5, especially in traffic (which is important in Dubai as a DD). On the odd occasion that my wife might have to drive it, I also know she would be more comfortable in the panamera since it's 4WD and it's her dream car (don't ask me why) so that's a bonus. But I also know the hooligan boy racer in me also really wants an M5 for some reason, especially with the aftermarket options available - it would feel wrong modding a Porsche for some reason... But then the Porsche interior is superior...

Auto-GAF 2015: Everything was Porsche.

GHG

Gold Member
WAT?!

Don't feel that way at all.

The thing is, Porsche make perfect cars in a lot of cases IMO. If I were to get a panamera GTS what the hell do you mod? A 911 GT3? Or a Cayman GT4? It would just feel wrong modding a car like that.

You can't improve on perfection.

Top Bottom