• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

GHG

Gold Member
Just got back from a weekend away with the Mrs and as I'm checking out of the hotel to my horror I see the valet parkers at this hotel we were staying at scratched the side of my car. I was livid. "HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN" I was shouting at the staff. They said they need to check hotel security footage to find out if they were at fault before anything can be done and I think that's when I really went mental.

The poor guys were terrified. In hindsight I kind of lost my shit, but seriously... How DOES something like this happen. It's not a small light scratch either, it's a deep motherfucker all the way down to the primer so it's not a simple fix - the whole passenger side front door will likely need a respray now. I also have a feeling they will shaft me and find a way to not have to cover the cost of this for me, or if they do they will send me to some shitty garage to get it done in which case I will just say no anyway...

I'll post pictures later, but I'm so upset. Maybe my baby knew I was thinking about selling her :(

Oxn

Just got back from a weekend away with the Mrs and as I'm checking out of the hotel to my horror I see the valet parkers at this hotel we were staying at scratched the side of my car. I was livid. "HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN" I was shouting at the staff. They said they need to check hotel security footage to find out if they were at fault before anything can be done and I think that's when I really went mental.

The poor guys were terrified. In hindsight I kind of lost my shit, but seriously... How DOES something like this happen. It's not a small light scratch either, it's a deep motherfucker all the way down to the primer so it's not a simple fix - the whole passenger side front door will likely need a respray now. I also have a feeling they will shaft me and find a way to not have to cover the cost of this for me, or if they do they will send me to some shitty garage to get it done in which case I will just say no anyway...

I'll post pictures later, but I'm so upset. Maybe my baby knew I was thinking about selling her :(

What car was it?

Just got back from a weekend away with the Mrs and as I'm checking out of the hotel to my horror I see the valet parkers at this hotel we were staying at scratched the side of my car.

Don't use their valet service next time.

I've worked as a valet driver through all of college and we ALWAYS check for scratches or damage before we take the car, and if it's serious, we take pictures. On the backside of all our tickets, there's basically a car shaped drawing and you're supposed to mark anything off. It doesn't even need to be really a scratch, it could be just dirt that looks like a scratch, you're supposed to mark that off.

Our system will then log all of these scratches as well so even if a valet scratches it after it's put in the database, and they mark it pretending that it's there before, it ain't going to work because obviously a scratch can't show up out of nowhere when the car has been sitting there the entire time and there's proof in our database that the scratch wasn't there before.

The fact that they're wanting to dispute it means they already know that it's their fault, they're just trying to find a way to get out of it. Plus, even if it wasn't their fault, valet companies will usually bend over backwards just to get a happy customer. At my place at least, there was at least one driver fired once a week for damaging a car.

And to be honest with you, I personally wouldn't use a valet at all, even if I spent 3+ years working as a valet driver myself. It's not that valets are evil or whatever, I just don't see the benefit of convenience here as a lot of times, you're forced to wait anyway for your car. Now of course if I'm forced to use it, I always ask if at least one of them can drive stick and I watch them do it. I've watched some dude stall my Miata twice at a restaurant and I told him to get in the passenger seat and tell me where to go and when I was done, I walked with him to pick it up lol. Of course that's kind of a dick move and all, but hey if you can't do your job, then why the fnck are you here working?

Jackson

track folks,

do most people bring their own fuel to the track or do they pay the ridiculous track prices?

i'm wondering if i can bring two 5 gallon jugs myself...

Ya you can bring your own fuel. I don't, but I don't want the inside of my DD potentially stinking of gas lol. Race fuel is definitely nice, but at $10+ a gallon it's not really worth it in a street car.

Typically I just refuel down the street at the closest gas station between sessions if I can. Usually you get one 20 min session per hour, that gives you 40 mins to get gas also there's typically an hour lunch break for full day runs.

Sux :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Thats not what i heard at all

Just read my contract and it says if you pay off your contract early, you will not have to pay the penalty.

Doesn't this depend? Looking at my information, it is of course explained, as required, the interest and the length of the loan and my monthly payment and total finance charge assuming minimum payments.

But if I go online to see my car payoff, it is the total amount currently outstanding without any extra interest charges. When I traded in my previous car with a balance, it was the same thing. I didn't have to pay the interest that would have accrued for the rest of the loan. Just the interest that was outstanding up to the date of payment. Otherwise how could anyone ever refinance a loan? The fees would be outrageous.

Edit: Maybe different states have different rules. I'm in Florida and I have yet to encounter what you describe.

Not true. Simple interest seems more common than pre-compounded interest for car loans in US, going by when I was shopping around a couple of years ago.
I paid off my loan in 1.5 years instead of 3. Total interest of $300 instead of $700 if I had paid over 3 years.

Only thing to watch out for is any pre-payment penalties.

How did you guys finance your cars? Through a credit union, bank (which bank?), with the dealer, etc?

How did you guys finance your cars? Through a credit union, bank (which bank?), with the dealer, etc?

I got pre-approved at my bank (PNC) for simple interest, no pre-payment penalty at 3% over 36 months.

My dealer matched that rate and term through his own preferred lender (Chase Auto Loans), so I went with that. Again, simple interest and no pre-payment penalty.

The fun stuff is starting to arrive at my place...

10860204_834498603265440_1678681841_n.jpg

11251395_1621792701396951_1097575845_n.jpg

11377969_1619881541628245_1686637819_n.jpg

Headers, and exhaust...

AlphaSnake

I got pre-approved at my bank (PNC) for simple interest, no pre-payment penalty at 3% over 36 months.

My dealer matched that rate and term through his own preferred lender (Chase Auto Loans), so I went with that. Again, simple interest and no pre-payment penalty.

Good move.

mkenyon

Banned
Test drove a beautiful blue 2015 Challenger R/T Plus this week. It's the second time I've drove the new '15.

Sticker was right around $38K. Doing some research, it looks like I could snag it around $35K. Leather, 8.4" U-Connect, MT, premium wheels - pretty slick.

I love the size - I know a lot of people hate it for that reason, but at 6'2" it's nice feeling comfortable in a car. The trunk is huge, and the backseat is at least somewhat useable (kinda).

Just wish it had a tiny bit more power. I know it's heavy, and the 375HP V8 is on the lowest end of the new muscle car wars - but the thing is, there's ALWAYS something faster, and it's still plenty to have fun with. But, I do wish it had a little more passing power. On the freeway, the 65-80MPH pass didn't have quite as much "oomph" as I'd like.

It's definitely on my short list for next vehicle. I definitely can't wait to see the 2016 Camaro in person and test-drive that. Otherwise, every other car on my list is a fair bit over what I want to spend.
Wait a year and get a low mileage Scat Pack.

Ya you can bring your own fuel. I don't, but I don't want the inside of my DD potentially stinking of gas lol. Race fuel is definitely nice, but at $10+ a gallon it's not really worth it in a street car.

Typically I just refuel down the street at the closest gas station between sessions if I can. Usually you get one 20 min session per hour, that gives you 40 mins to get gas also there's typically an hour lunch break for full day runs.

Sux :(

Thanks for the tips.

Yeh I just realized theres two stations within 10 minutes of the track so thats what I'll do versus bringing gas with me.

matmanx1

Test drove a beautiful blue 2015 Challenger R/T Plus this week. It's the second time I've drove the new '15.

Sticker was right around $38K. Doing some research, it looks like I could snag it around $35K. Leather, 8.4" U-Connect, MT, premium wheels - pretty slick.

I love the size - I know a lot of people hate it for that reason, but at 6'2" it's nice feeling comfortable in a car. The trunk is huge, and the backseat is at least somewhat useable (kinda).

Just wish it had a tiny bit more power. I know it's heavy, and the 375HP V8 is on the lowest end of the new muscle car wars - but the thing is, there's ALWAYS something faster, and it's still plenty to have fun with. But, I do wish it had a little more passing power. On the freeway, the 65-80MPH pass didn't have quite as much "oomph" as I'd like.

It's definitely on my short list for next vehicle. I definitely can't wait to see the 2016 Camaro in person and test-drive that. Otherwise, every other car on my list is a fair bit over what I want to spend.

They are nice looking cars and I am sure they drive well but I couldn't deal with the size and the weight of the thing on the roads that I like to have fun on. For a highway cruiser though I am sure that it would be sweet.

Whoah! Sadness =(

AlphaSnake

It was a credit union for me.

Edit: And looking at the contract, the only prepayment penalty is a $75 fee if it was paid back within 6 months. None others exist.

Very very smart. That explains a lot.

Going through a dealership's lenders and their finance department is a different story.

Momentary

Banned
Viper ACR looks like the thing I need in my life. About as close as I'll get to the Viper GT3-R

Only thing that would make there better is no infotainment, no leather, no carpet, no speakers, and add a rollcage. I think their 1 of 1 program could probably get those creature comforts out of there, but I'm guessing I'd have to wait for the ACR-X for a rollcage. Well I won't be home for a year so hopefully Dodge comes up with something by then.

Very very smart. That explains a lot.

Going through a dealership's lenders and their finance department is a different story.

Ironically enough, that credit union was actually through one of the dealer's lenders lol. But yeah that was one of the major things I was looking at because I planned on paying more than the minimum every month.

1 mile from the dealership actually, but 11 total on the odometer.

Yep.

The dealership he got it from is apparently in contact with Mazda USA already and are working to see if they can secure an unaccounted LE for him.

Anyway, yeah ND Miata's are out already in the coasts, here's a video that Mazda USA put together from their "launch delivery party" at a dealership in Cali.

And here is Brian Goodwin of Goodwin Racing(one of the best aftermarket guys in the Miata community especially for the NC since Flyin' Miata were NA/NB focused) giving some first impressions of his LE.

Anyway, my dealer says they'll be here in 2 weeks but info from the forum suggests that the cars are already loaded up on the trains and are gonna make their way from SD to wherever. Though IIRC, Mazda does send cars through the Gulf of Mexico and are docked in Houston as well, so either way I'm really hoping it'll be sooner as I'm definitely gonna go for a test drive as soon as they get here lol.

So after a bunch of money spent on track prep, the loser PCA organizer emails me two days before the event to tell me they don't have enough instructors and that I can't participate.

Thank you sir.

Seems like another PCA is holding an event in about a month so I will sign up for that, but this is aggravating.

I need to get myself a Porsche though. Seems they have a track day like every weekend scheduled vs the other clubs which have one like once or twice a year. Some are snobby and only let Porsches run, but these two I'm dealing with are thankfully willing to let other marques in.

Jackson

So after a bunch of money spent on track prep, the loser PCA organizer emails me two days before the event to tell me they don't have enough instructors and that I can't participate.

Thank you sir.

Seems like another PCA is holding an event in about a month so I will sign up for that, but this is aggravating.

I need to get myself a Porsche though. Seems they have a track day like every weekend scheduled vs the other clubs which have one like once or twice a year. Some are snobby and only let Porsches run, but these two I'm dealing with are thankfully willing to let other marques in.

You should check some other venues too.

Try motorsportsreg.com and type in the track you want. It'll give you most of the listing of the public venues for the next few months.

Hmmm thanks for the suggestion. I've been using clubregistration myself.

Turns out I spoke I spoke too soon anyhow. The organizer managed to find me an instructor last minute.

matmanx1

My Dad's coming down this weekend so that I can go car shopping with him. He's got the car buying bug and is ready to replace Mom's 2006 Ford Edge that has 120k miles on it.

He's only ever been a Ford man but he's seen, driven and ridden in the last few cars that I have owned and I think he's wanting a premium brand at this point. He wants rear wheel drive (or AWD) and wants to stick to an SUV/Crossover so I am pointing him in the direction of the Infiniti FX/EX series in the 2011 - 2013 range.

He's kind of taken with my 128i but I don't think he's going to want the maintenance and repair costs associated with a used BMW so I am going to try to talk him out of an X3 or X5, as nice as those are. We will still probably drive one for comparison.

We might also look at a G37 as he said he would be open to a nice luxury sedan. We'll see how it goes once he actually starts to drive the different cars.

AlphaSnake

My Dad's coming down this weekend so that I can go car shopping with him. He's got the car buying bug and is ready to replace Mom's 2006 Ford Edge that has 120k miles on it.

He's only ever been a Ford man but he's seen, driven and ridden in the last few cars that I have owned and I think he's wanting a premium brand at this point. He wants rear wheel drive (or AWD) and wants to stick to an SUV/Crossover so I am pointing him in the direction of the Infiniti FX/EX series in the 2011 - 2013 range.

He's kind of taken with my 128i but I don't think he's going to want the maintenance and repair costs associated with a used BMW so I am going to try to talk him out of an X3 or X5, as nice as those are. We will still probably drive one for comparison.

We might also look at a G37 as he said he would be open to a nice luxury sedan. We'll see how it goes once he actually starts to drive the different cars.

The older X3s were so ugly looking, they've updated the front a little but the rear is still blehhhh. And the X1 isn't a whole lot better looking - so ugly that BMW has ceased production early and revealed an all new X1 last month, which is arguably even shittier since it's FWD and riding on a Mini Cooper platform, sooo... Plus their interiors were offensively cheap for a BMW (and BMW has acknowledged as much). Cars with no iDrive offered a cheap sliding cubby door like a base Nissan Sentra or Altima from 2003 did.

The FX37 would be his best bet. Awesome interior, with a great motor, nice ride, and can be found with RWD easily.

I just saw the SYNC 3 for Ford. If people were complaining about the previous version, they'll be pissed with the new one.

The good: It's fast and smooth. The previous SYNC was painfully slow. Not sure about glitches since I only had it for a half hour. The navigation is so easy to use. The previous version had so many damn rules and restrictions that you have to follow to get an address in. This goes in just like that.

The bad: The menu is a clusterfuck. The previous version had a more organized layout with the 4 quadrant setup. The older customers will now be even more confused navigating this. Younger people should be fine. It also understands less voice commands than the previous version. I don't see how that's actually improved.

fwoibles

Saw a yellow AMG GTS in Winter Park, FL.[/IMG]

One wound it's way up the long and twisty roads at the german/austrian border while classic music was blaring out of my speakers. Looked epic, felt a tingle in my pants.
The colour works so well, was never that impressed with the SLSs silver.

matmanx1

The older X3s were so ugly looking, they've updated the front a little but the rear is still blehhhh. And the X1 isn't a whole lot better looking - so ugly that BMW has ceased production early and revealed an all new X1 last month, which is arguably even shittier since it's FWD and riding on a Mini Cooper platform, sooo... Plus their interiors were offensively cheap for a BMW (and BMW has acknowledged as much). Cars with no iDrive offered a cheap sliding cubby door like a base Nissan Sentra or Altima from 2003 did.

The FX37 would be his best bet. Awesome interior, with a great motor, nice ride, and can be found with RWD easily.

Good advice, thank you. The Infiniti dealer for my area has a CPO EX35 and a CPO FX35, both 2012. We will definitely be stopping by for a test drive on Saturday.

Anion

Man, I've been waiting for over a month and a half for my car. Just got the VIN number yesterday and now I'm just waiting to see when it gets loaded on a ship to the US... Its essentially a fully loaded CLA. I still have doubts to have waited a bit longer and just gotten a CLA45 in a half year or so - but oh well lol. Just excited since its my first car haha. I know I could have gotten the much faster BMW M235 for the same price before anyone says that haha

On a side, what do you guys think about HRE wheels. I really like the RS102 and the P44SC

Time to buy new tires. I need 225/40R19 in the front and 245/40R19 in the back, any suggestions?

I was looking at some Michelin Pilot Super Sports, doesn't seem too expensive, looks grippy enough, and with good durability.

rokkerkory

Time to buy new tires. I need 225/40R19 in the front and 245/40R19 in the back, any suggestions?

I was looking at some Michelin Pilot Super Sports, doesn't seem too expensive, looks grippy enough, and with good durability.

I run PSS for years now, they are awesome street tires. Prob best you can get in that regard. Wet traction isn't the best but dry weather is supreme.

What kinda car again?

I run PSS for years now, they are awesome street tires. Prob best you can get in that regard. Wet traction isn't the best but dry weather is supreme.

What kinda car again?

Genesis Coupe, OEM tires were Bridgestone Potenzas. Terrible durability, and ridiculously expensive compared to the PSS.

AlphaSnake

Super Sports are the best tires money can buy. They were specifically designed for the Ferrari 458, until becoming a mass produced tire for all to buy.

Yeh I ended up running the MPSS at the track today and they held up well. Outside has wear but didn't shred them up too much overall.

Good street tire with occasional track use. Will be getting a more dedicated tire next time out though.

matmanx1

Man, I've been waiting for over a month and a half for my car. Just got the VIN number yesterday and now I'm just waiting to see when it gets loaded on a ship to the US... Its essentially a fully loaded CLA. I still have doubts to have waited a bit longer and just gotten a CLA45 in a half year or so - but oh well lol. Just excited since its my first car haha. I know I could have gotten the much faster BMW M235 for the same price before anyone says that haha

On a side, what do you guys think about HRE wheels. I really like the RS102 and the P44SC

CLA's are very cool. And in my neck of the woods they are much more rare than the BMW's. Enjoy it!

No Love

Banned
Guys, serious question: as a dual-role daily driver and fun car it's between the 997.1 911 Turbo (6 speed) and F10 M5 (6-speed). I'd do bolt-ons and E85 tune on both. Does the M5 even stand a chance in this comparison? lol

Anion

The Pilot SS is the tire Matt Farah recommends I have noticed. My father runs the A/S version on his car and he like it so much better than the Continental OEMs

CLA's are very cool. And in my neck of the woods they are much more rare than the BMW's. Enjoy it!
Haha thanks, the wait is killing me though

man, the Viper ACR is only $117k?

thats less than the GT3 and only about 10% more than a Z07 package Z06.

can't wait to see some track comparisons of the Z07 to the ACR.

AlphaSnake

During lunch i saw this chick driving an Audi RS5

Looks so much better in person

So niceeeee

That's the older European model. The US model didn't look like that, it launched here with a different front end.

Also, beautiful car, but still pretty damn expensive used and not worth the money considering how radically quick the market has changed. I actually wrote a review of one when it first arrived in the US back in 2012, and I found that I liked it a taaaad bit more than the E92 M3 that I compared it to. It was a better all-around vehicle for daily driving, where as the M3 was punishing in the city, had a lousy stock exhaust noise, and lacked the all-weather capability which meant you couldn't drive it as often as you'd like.

But at the same time fully realizing that the M3 was much more precise for track use.

man, the Viper ACR is only $117k?

Even better, a lot of the 2nd gen Vipers are under $40K right now.

Seriously, $40K for a chance to have the Grim Reaper be your co-driver... that's insane.

The crazy in me wants to consider it next year, but I don't have a death wish so I'm going to unfortunately pass lol.

Top Bottom