• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Almost all ALMS, GTE, GT3, GT4, Super GT, DTM, TCR, etc, are based on their street car counterparts. The useless stuff is stripped away, but all the fun things get added.

The Gen 4 ACR-X had its own racing series called the Viper Cup. I'm sure the Gen 5 ACR-X will have it as well. The ACR-X also qualifies for the NARRA USTT and USGT race events that take place between April - October of every year. Some of the tracks you race at are Watkins Glen and VIR. It's pretty dope.

Hah! Okay you've done your homework, go on wit' yo' bad self. And the stripped track cars are great, I have one myself, I just think a very expensive one with huge amounts of power would be strange to have if it wasn't going to be used for racing. If you plan to get it racing, that's awesome.

Anyone have any experience/knowledge on the clutch restricter pill in the evo x? I've seen an awful lot of recommendations to remove it for better clutch feel, but am hesitant because 1) its probably there for a reason and 2) I don't feel anything particularly wrong with it in.

I'm not familiar with the one on the Evo, but from reading a little about it it appears to function just like the one in my old Volvo. It's just a restrictor plate that slows the flow of hydraulic fluid between the master and slave cylinder, which will smooth out the action of the clutch. End result is that when you hammer the clutch in or out, the slave will respond at a slower rate.

This is there, like all clutch aids (springs, restrictors, etc.) because people are bad at driving and manufacturers have found these things to limit driveline shock from people hamfisting the clutch pedal. For the enthusiast who knows how to work a clutch, however, all they do is limit pedal feel and/or make the engagement point inconsistent (because if you move the pedal fast, you'll be past the pedal engagement point before the slave gets to its engagement point.

Get rid of it, you'll be significantly happier with how it feels. Just be mindful that you'll be exposing the drivetrain to more shock with fast pedal engagement, so launching it with a clutch drop will do nasty things.

matmanx1

This is why you get the spyder. You pop the roof and step into the car while standing, then grasp the steering wheel and lower yourself straight down into the seat. SUPER easy ingress/egress.

Hey, good call! And the Spyder's look fantastic so there is that.

I think I'm going to sell my M56S...I love the car, but the fucking transmission has been pissing me off. Infiniti said it was overfilled from the factory and screwed with the line pressure of the torque converter, thus making it feel laggy and heavy. They've corrected that issue, and generally the car drives okay...but there's still this offensively random lag where the transmission just doesn't respond to throttle inputs correctly.

Sometimes it's fine. Other times it's not. And also, it can take up to 3 seconds for the car to kickdown WOT to the lowest gear after I've put my foot all the way down. This isn't normal, as other Infinitis use the same exact 7-speed and the response is supposed to be instantaneous. I'm thinking either the valve body is fucked or the torque converter is. Best case scenario it needs new fluid. Worse case, a new transmission.

I'm going to take it back to the dealer and see, especially since they've documented the issue for me already.

Yeah that would annoy the heck out of me too. I test drove an Audi TT that did the exact same thing on the test drive and I turned around and drove it right back to the dealer. Maybe it just needed maintenance (it was pre-owned) on the DCT or maybe it had a real transmission problem but wow, what a way to throw a wet blanket on something that should be exciting (WOT!!).

StuffRuff

I think I want to buy a cheap bargain 4x4 here in the UK for a bit of fun (some offroading/green-laning would be awesome!) and I'm looking at the WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I hear the 4.0l is very reliable and I can pick the whole thing up for ~ £1000-1500 but I would worry about parts in the UK.

I also hear its brilliant off road.

Any opinions/advice/alternatives? (I've been put of the idea of a Discovery due to the amount of rust buckets out there)

Fuck that TV show. Porsche pronounces it "Cay-men" themselves. That's how I and everyone I know pronounces it. Cay-mahn sounds stupid as hell.

If anyone is mispronouncing things, it's the people saying "Porsh" lol

It seems very pretentious pronouncing it Cay-mahn... and I imagine you're gonna get laughed at a PCA meeting if you do haha.

That TV show is interesting to say the least though... a lot of the islands have twisty roads full of elevation changes, I kinda wanna move there and just hoon all day. I'm a tropical island person to begin with anyway, so I think this is really in my cards in the future lol.

mkenyon

Banned
Decided to take a look around at the Scat Pack - I had it in my head it was ~$45-48K. Already found one about 20 miles away with 14K miles and at $43xxx. Granted, it doesn't have the leather or the premium sound system of the standard RT Plus.

Spoke with the salesman I've been talking with, and he said they're getting three more Scat Packs in next week - sticker on all of them are going to be $46K-ish. That said, he said if I wanted to, I could come by on his shift and he'd let me take one out (automatic only, though, for the time being). I think I'm gonna take him up on his offer.

Problem is, if I'm being honest, $35K was the upper limit of what I want to spend. I can't see myself finding a Scat Pack for that in the next year. Maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ER%7CScat+Pack]][]]&listingId=402564025&Log=0

They're out there.
I wish you luck in joining the Porsche club ASAP.
Thanks!

Just need to finish paying off the truck and trailer. Might increase those double payments to triple. :p
I think I'm going to sell my M56S...I love the car, but the fucking transmission has been pissing me off. Infiniti said it was overfilled from the factory and screwed with the line pressure of the torque converter, thus making it feel laggy and heavy. They've corrected that issue, and generally the car drives okay...but there's still this offensively random lag where the transmission just doesn't respond to throttle inputs correctly.

Sometimes it's fine. Other times it's not. And also, it can take up to 3 seconds for the car to kickdown WOT to the lowest gear after I've put my foot all the way down. This isn't normal, as other Infinitis use the same exact 7-speed and the response is supposed to be instantaneous. I'm thinking either the valve body is fucked or the torque converter is. Best case scenario it needs new fluid. Worse case, a new transmission.

I'm going to take it back to the dealer and see, especially since they've documented the issue for me already.
Bummer :(

The 7 speed in my EX35 is pretty much instant when I push for WOT.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hey, good call! And the Spyder's look fantastic so there is that.

Yeah that would annoy the heck out of me too. I test drove an Audi TT that did the exact same thing on the test drive and I turned around and drove it right back to the dealer. Maybe it just needed maintenance (it was pre-owned) on the DCT or maybe it had a real transmission problem but wow, what a way to throw a wet blanket on something that should be exciting (WOT!!).

Bummer :(

The 7 speed in my EX35 is pretty much instant when I push for WOT.

So frustrating. Because I know what this transmission is supposed to be capable of.

I drove my friends E92 335i 6MT yesterday...I gotta' say, I forgot how great older BMW manuals were. It was such a great clutch, it felt precisely how it should, engaged wonderfully and I knew exactly where each gear was going. I drove it around for a bit, and he let me open it up (I was like "damn...I can't believe how slow it feels today") and it shifts crisp. Rev-matching was super easy, the throttle has great response.

Gaaaaaaah, it just makes me want an MT that much worse.

mkenyon

Banned
Nothing like a solid MT to make you feel completely connected with the car. Fuck objectively better DCTs and the like. I don't really care if I'm missing out on a half second around (insert track here), I want that perfectly timed heel-toe into a corner.

AlphaSnake

Nothing like a solid MT to make you feel completely connected with the car. Fuck objectively better DCTs and the like. I don't really care if I'm missing out on a half second around (insert track here), I want that perfectly timed heel-toe into a corner.

Thing is, I just bought another house and it's being built now. I don't want to mess with my expenses and make any financial changes until I've closed on the new loan. So I'm in my own personal agonizing hell right now. LOL

mkenyon

Banned
Thing is, I just bought another house and it's being built now. I don't want to mess with my expenses and make any financial changes until I've closed on the new loan. So I'm in my own personal agonizing hell right now. LOL
Yeah, definitely close on that first.

Just went through nine months of this. Was terrified to even use a credit card, much less take out a new loan.

Day after closing? Went out and bought a new car.

No Love

Banned
So frustrating. Because I know what this transmission is supposed to be capable of.

I drove my friends E92 335i 6MT yesterday...I gotta' say, I forgot how great older BMW manuals were. It was such a great clutch, it felt precisely how it should, engaged wonderfully and I knew exactly where each gear was going. I drove it around for a bit, and he let me open it up (I was like "damn...I can't believe how slow it feels today") and it shifts crisp. Rev-matching was super easy, the throttle has great response.

Gaaaaaaah, it just makes me want an MT that much worse.

Come join the dark side. Daily driving a manual transmission is a joy*

*stop making excuses

AlphaSnake

Just went through nine months of this. Was terrified to even use a credit card, much less take out a new loan.

Day after closing? Went out and bought a new car.

This may very well be what'll end up happening. I'm also considering C63 AMG Coupes for their sheer stupidity and lunacy, even though they're ATs.

Come join the dark side. Daily driving a manual transmission is a joy*

*stop making excuses

You mean return to the dark side? Don't forget I daily'd a 370Z 6MT.

God, I wish Nissan would get off their confused ass and give us details on a new Z already. Sick of their shit and how slow they've been to get a new car off the ground. The 370Z has been out for ages now.

mkenyon

Banned
New Z car is definitely overdue. Remember this?

nissan-datsun-idx-tokyo-concepts-w1.jpg

Momentary

Banned
This may very well be what'll end up happening. I'm also considering C63 AMG Coupes for their sheer stupidity and lunacy, even though they're ATs.

God, I wish Nissan would get off their confused ass and give us details on a new Z already. Sick of their shit and how slow they've been to get a new car off the ground. The 370Z has been out for ages now.

That GT-R has been out for ages too. Even longer I believe.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

mkenyon

Banned
If you get a Challenger, it's almost a shame to stick with the 5.7, IMO. That 392 is a beast, and very fitting for the platform.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If you get a Challenger, it's almost a shame to stick with the 5.7, IMO. That 392 is a beast, and very fitting for the platform.

I haven't driven one with anything but the 5.7, yet. But I have a good feeling once I test drive one with the more powerful engine, it's gonna be impossible to look back.

AlphaSnake

Yeah. And it's been put on hold/canned for the time being. I don't get Nissan. They release the Juke, but are too pussy to release another sports car below the Z? Now they have no idea what the direction of the Z is...they're toying with the idea of a small displacement motor. And just...ugh. No. I want 400HP. 3.0L TT

That GT-R has been out for ages too. Even longer I believe.

Same as the 370Z. Both as 2009 models in the US.

Zyzyxxz

Yeah. And it's been put on hold/canned for the time being. I don't get Nissan. They release the Juke, but are too pussy to release another sports car below the Z? Now they have no idea what the direction of the Z is...they're toying with the idea of a small displacement motor. And just....

It's been pretty much canned. I believe official statement was that it wasn't profitable to make a entry level RWD car especially if it didn't share a platform with something.

Yeah. And it's been put on hold/canned for the time being. I don't get Nissan. They release the Juke, but are too pussy to release another sports car below the Z? Now they have no idea what the direction of the Z is...they're toying with the idea of a small displacement motor. And just...ugh. No. I want 400HP. 3.0L TT

Same as the 370Z. Both as 2009 models in the US.

whats wrong with a smaller na 4cyl that you can modify yourself, turbo kit ect..

Momentary

Banned
Has there been a naturally aspirated 4 cyl that has topped the S2000's? I think the Japanese AP1 F20C was about 245 hp or so. That is still impressive to this day. There are turbocharged 4 cyl now in sports cars that don't get that much.

Has there been a naturally aspirated 4 cyl that has topped the S2000's? I think the Japanese AP1 F20C was about 245 hp or so. That is still impressive to this day. There are turbocharged 4 cyl now in sports cars that don't get that much.

it doesnt have to be a high producing NA 4cyl, just an over-engineered one that can take being boosted and youll have something

ruxtpin

Banned
Does anyone here have experience in leasing BMWs? I'm thinking of a 340i under the Euro Delivery program (or maybe a Charger SRT 392 - yeah, wildly different). I've got a local dealership quoting ED invoice, but I think the leasing quotes he's giving me are quite high. I know I've got good credit, but I wasn't sure how negotiable lease rates are (never leased a car before).

I've flipped flopped on a new car more than I can count over the last year, but since I'm not home much I realized it doesn't make sense for me to get a second car. I want to get rid of my GLI for something quicker with 4 doors; I can still get the speed kicks when I am in town with a 340 or 392.

Zyzyxxz

it doesnt have to be a high producing NA 4cyl, just an over-engineered one that can take being boosted and youll have something

Now why would a car manufacturer want to do that? These days they could give two shits about modability. It's not like they would really benefit as race-versions of their cars are usually super heavily modified themselves. There's very little economic benefit to over engineering something and charging a modest price for it with large car manufacturers.

Does anyone here have experience in leasing BMWs? I'm thinking of a 340i under the Euro Delivery program (or maybe a Charger SRT 392 - yeah, wildly different). I've got a local dealership quoting ED invoice, but I think the leasing quotes he's giving me are quite high. I know I've got good credit, but I wasn't sure how negotiable lease rates are (never leased a car before).

I've flipped flopped on a new car more than I can count over the last year, but since I'm not home much I realized it doesn't make sense for me to get a second car. I want to get rid of my GLI for something quicker with 4 doors; I can still get the speed kicks when I am in town with a 340 or 392.

What Money Factor did the dealer quote you? BMW lets dealers mark-up their Money Factor a little bit, maybe you can negotiate on that.

Money factor, and residuals can all be negotiated depending on if they're higher than what BMW corporate has. This is what I've heard the 2016 340i is at that BMW released to dealers so that's what I would aim for if it's higher MF or lower residuals.

15K - 59%
12K - 61%
10K - 62%
MF - .00130

boltz

Been really liking our Accord V6 Coupe for some reason the last couple of weeks. It's just a solid car.

On a whim I took a look at the prices of Honda Pilots. These sum bitches start at 30k? The top model (Elite) is 47k?!

bruh

CR-Vs start around $24k, so $30k to start for the Pilot is about right.

Toyota Highlander. I have the xle on my family car shortlist

Edit. 36k for a decent midrange packag. They look great too imo

One of the reasons I like the Highlander is because its exterior dimensions are one of the smallest in the class, so it would feel like less of a whale to drive around. Normally, I don't care for Kias, but they did a good job with the styling of the current gen Sorento and you get a lot of content for your money as well.

No Love

Banned

I don't consider a 370z 6MT to be an enjoyable manual trans. :p The new C63 is pretty fucking awesome IMO, I'd probably go with that over an M3.

Holy shit, you're back. Thought you got permabanned. How's them business ventures going? :)
Beyond expectations. At this rate I'll be looking at a 488 next year. lol

Momentary

Banned

They've got to pull ahead of the Ford Focus RS.

No Love

Banned
Sorry for the double post but alpha's post reminded me...

Anyone have any experience/knowledge on the clutch restricter pill in the evo x? I've seen an awful lot of recommendations to remove it for better clutch feel, but am hesitant because 1) its probably there for a reason and 2) I don't feel anything particularly wrong with it in.

Take it out. Any clutch restrictor/check valve horseshit will fuck up your clutch engagement and almost always causes excessive wear. They are fucking stupid and completely unnecessary.

Besides, the stock clutch on an Evo X is weaksauce and needs to be replaced anyways.

matmanx1

I remember and I mourn for it. Such a cool little concept car! It would be the Nissan version of the 128i that I'm driving now.

Introducing the refreshed Honda Accuraord?

compressed-accord-1-1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/23/...-carplay-android-auto-official/#slide-3558675

Hwat? It looks leagues better than the outgoing car. Beautiful little touches. Camry once again looks aged as fuck compared to it. And Nissan better have an ace up its sleeve with the all new gen Altima.

At first glance I thought it was a new Acura. Honda is doing a lot right with the new Accords. I see Accord Sport's EVERYWHERE around here.

ruxtpin

Banned
Money factor, and residuals can all be negotiated depending on if they're higher than what BMW corporate has. This is what I've heard the 2016 340i is at that BMW released to dealers so that's what I would aim for if it's higher MF or lower residuals.

15K - 59%
12K - 61%
10K - 62%
MF - .00130

So the 62% is the residual cost on the car after my lease is up? As for MF, the preliminary quote given didn't have that on there. I haven't had a chance to go back and try to negotiate the whole thing further.

AlphaSnake

:eek:

the new maxima looks pretty good in person tho

New Maxima is pretty badass looking, but doesn't compete in this segment. It used to. But the Altima has slotted into that spot since 2002. Starting price of the Maxima is over $32K now.

Introducing the refreshed Honda Accuraord?

compressed-accord-1-1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/23/...-carplay-android-auto-official/#slide-3558675

Hwat? It looks leagues better than the outgoing car. Beautiful little touches. Camry once again looks aged as fuck compared to it. And Nissan better have an ace up its sleeve with the all new gen Altima.

I much prefer the current accord front end over that. It's the headlights and grill that turn me off of it. Same thing when they gave a similar grill design to Acuras.

I think I want to buy a cheap bargain 4x4 here in the UK for a bit of fun (some offroading/green-laning would be awesome!) and I'm looking at the WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I hear the 4.0l is very reliable and I can pick the whole thing up for ~ £1000-1500 but I would worry about parts in the UK.

I also hear its brilliant off road.

Any opinions/advice/alternatives? (I've been put of the idea of a Discovery due to the amount of rust buckets out there)

The 4.0 is a good engine and should last a long time. Although personally I prefer the standard cherokee over the grand cherokee.

Momentary

Banned
Some guy in a huge jacked up Chevy Silverado backed up into my poor Scion tC and destroyed my door and bent the frame of the car. What a day... and I fly to Cali on Tuesday. The frame has a minor bend, but I think it might have totaled the car.

*Hat is for protection of identity

Top Bottom