• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Brehs, somebody tell me why I just fell in love with a Genesis Coupe 3.8?

I'm pretty sure it was modified, louder exhaust and Miata-like shifter(short shifter maybe?) but that thing had some intoxicating levels of power. And that shifter, my god that was pure butter.

I stepped away from it in awe and much much want.

Thankfully it's not on sale so I've got nothing to worry about for the moment lol.

h1nch

I actually know exactly why this is. And this isn't anecdotal either:

Lower end dealers hire virtually any one with a high-school diploma. As a result of getting hired with no experience, lot of them are paid next to nothing and have to rely on turnarounds for commission. This is where your most stereotypical dealership morons come from. Dealer networks from Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Honda, and so forth have very, very low standards. The philosophy of these dealers is that 'the cars move themselves. People who buy them aren't interested in metrics and data. They want a deal on this kind of car and we need a lot of guys in the store so we can maintain volume'.

On the flip side, if you're shopping for a Jaguar, Mercedes, Lexus, or Porsche (yes, exclusively those 4) you are being greeted by people who have tons of superb experience, are very people friendly, but also have a lot of knowledge about the product. They're also salaried adequately and don't depend solely on commission, but they do earn very well with both combined. This is very deliberate. Also, these are not as high volume cars, so the experience is a lot more personal at one of these dealerships.

On the other hand, some luxury car dealers such as BMW and Infiniti actually suffer and their dealership surveys vary from place to place - as some dealers hire sales reps who formerly sold Toyotas or Nissans. Therein, we have the issue of missing product passion. Also, BMW dealerships rely way too much on the badge (just like non-luxury car dealers) and simply know the cars will sell based on that. Infiniti's problem is that the dealer network used to be closely related to the Nissan network for too long, and so many dealers are owned by complacent idiots. This is slowly changing, but the dealers have a propensity to hire Nissan sales reps so their customer service often seems...off.

That's kind of it in a nutshell.

As a longtime BMW owner, this accurately describes my BMW dealership experience.

BMW of San Antonio (my local dealer) is complete garbage on the same level as a typical low tier domestic dealership. Their sales reps will pull every trick in the shady car salesman book.

By contrast, BMW of Austin operates like a true luxury dealership. My sales rep there was very up front, and provided me with their official invoice pricing sheet when asked, and my last two vehicles were purchased for 2% over invoice, which I was totally OK with given their transparency and the fact that the numbers didn't mysteriously shift when it came time to take delivery.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/turbo-fours-coming-to-toyota-camry-honda-accord/

So what do you guys think about turbo 4 cylinder mid size sedans taking over its V6 counterpart?

I can't say I am too thrilled personally.

Both the next generation Z and Supra have been on my radar for a while, and now recent rumors are suggesting that both will feature a turbo'd 4 instead of a turbo 6. Now, it's way too soon to say for certain, but it does seem to be the direction things are headed. (You will probably start to see more V8's go towards FI 6's as well)

At this rate, the next gen Genesis Coupe is going to be the only one left on my shortlist.

I'm fortunate that the closest Subaru dealership was extremely knowledgable when I was shopping for a WRX. Even knew about the changes for '16 and the differences between the StarLink units. I didn't end up buying the rex, but we still go there to service the missus' car and will definitely stop there first if we're in the market for another Subaru.

My brother just got a WRX, and every time I went to a Subbie dealership with him I was very pleased with the service. The salesmam said he didn't make commission which was strange but could be consistent with what Alpha said above.

Generally speaking we've been really impressed with Subaru's service. Pre and post sale even.

matmanx1

http://blog.caranddriver.com/turbo-fours-coming-to-toyota-camry-honda-accord/

So what do you guys think about turbo 4 cylinder mid size sedans taking over its V6 counterpart?

In a mid size sedan I don't have a big problem with it. Mid size sedans have never been about performance or "character" anyway.

Where it is hurting me is in the sporty and sports luxury segments. Porsche moving to all turbo performance motors is especially painful. (outside of the GT3 anyway) I need to stockpile a warehouse full of normally aspirated 6 and 8 cylinder cars from this decade to last me until I croak. Some Miatas, 981 and 991 Porsches, 1 or 2 E82 and E90 BMW's and definitely an Aston Martin Vantage GT and a Shelby GT350 Mustang with the flat plane V8.

BRB while I start my collection. Anyone want to donate? =)

Smokey

Welppppppppppp

little one is on the way brehs. march 2016

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace cayman s/gts
rip in peace M4

most likely gonna trade in my wifes 2014 accord coupe. prob for a suv. i am within 12 payments remaining on my car. doesn't make sense to give that up and have 2 car payments.

No Love

Banned
Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Holy fucking shit. Congratulations, Smokey!!!

FYI now the door is open to even more badass cars with 4 doors: CTS-V, M5, Panamera Turbo, M3, Cayenne Turbo, C63, X5M, X6M etc etc etc

Oxn

Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

most likely gonna trade in my wifes 2014 accord coupe. prob for a suv. i am within 12 payments remaining on my car. doesn't make sense to give that up and have 2 car payments.

Get an X6 M, Cayenne

mkenyon

Banned
Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Grats!!!!

rip.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
As a longtime BMW owner, this accurately describes my BMW dealership experience.

BMW of San Antonio (my local dealer) is complete garbage on the same level as a typical low tier domestic dealership. Their sales reps will pull every trick in the shady car salesman book.

By contrast, BMW of Austin operates like a true luxury dealership. My sales rep there was very up front, and provided me with their official invoice pricing sheet when asked, and my last two vehicles were purchased for 2% over invoice, which I was totally OK with given their transparency and the fact that the numbers didn't mysteriously shift when it came time to take delivery.

Yeah, in Central Florida the prominent BMW dealer is Fields BMW and they have a few locations all very close to each other. Many months ago, I once went to their BMW South Orlando location to inquire about an M4 lease. The inside of the place looked like a drab Chevy dealership. Short ceilings. Ugly. Old. Simply outdated. I asked for a sales rep and when one approached me, he was completely dismissive of me.

Told me M4s are rare, very limited, I have to be on a list, they don't lease them, I have to order it with all of the options, they will never sell one for invoice...I mean ALL sorts of horseshit.

The next day I realized that Fields BMW Winter Park had an M4 I could see and drive and everything. I talked to the sales rep at the Winter Park location and told him how terrible my experience was at the South Orlando dealer, and he told me, point blank, they get customers all the time from there who complain about how bad it was. And end up buying a car from the Winter Park location.

And the owner of the Fields group and upper management is aware of the issue too. The sales rep at the Winter Park store was actually brought in from Chicago to remedy problems like this because he was one of the best BMW sales guys in the north.

So yeah, even the exact same BMW dealership with numerous locations experiences crap like this.

AlphaSnake

Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Lil' Smokey

Congrats!

You can still get an M3 sedan or something.

Bandit1

In a mid size sedan I don't have a big problem with it. Mid size sedans have never been about performance or "character" anyway.

Where it is hurting me is in the sporty and sports luxury segments. Porsche moving to all turbo performance motors is especially painful. (outside of the GT3 anyway) I need to stockpile a warehouse full of normally aspirated 6 and 8 cylinder cars from this decade to last me until I croak. Some Miatas, 981 and 991 Porsches, 1 or 2 E82 and E90 BMW's and definitely an Aston Martin Vantage GT and a Shelby GT350 Mustang with the flat plane V8.

BRB while I start my collection. Anyone want to donate? =)

I feel about the same in regards to the trend of so many cars moving to forced induction. I feel like the Ford GT kind of spurred the trend in America when it released in 2005 with the supercharged 5.4, even though the 2003-2004 Cobras were supercharged as well. But after the GT it was like - GT500, ZR1, ZL1, Hellcats, we're supercharging everything, which is cool to an extent, I won't argue against horsepower, but it makes me appreciate cars like the C6 Z06, the Z/28, and the new GT350 which can all put out more than 500 hp without forced induction. And now, as if to bring things full circle, the 2017 Ford GT will be TTV6.. :/

Oh and I would be glad to donate money for your collection if I wasn't blowing all my money on my own!

Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Congratulations Smokey!!

Nander

I actually know exactly why this is. And this isn't anecdotal either:

Lower end dealers hire virtually any one with a high-school diploma. As a result of getting hired with no experience, lot of them are paid next to nothing and have to rely on turnarounds for commission. This is where your most stereotypical dealership morons come from. Dealer networks from Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Honda, and so forth have very, very low standards. The philosophy of these dealers is that 'the cars move themselves. People who buy them aren't interested in metrics and data. They want a deal on this kind of car and we need a lot of guys in the store so we can maintain volume'.

On the flip side, if you're shopping for a Jaguar, Mercedes, Lexus, or Porsche (yes, exclusively those 4) you are being greeted by people who have tons of superb experience, are very people friendly, but also have a lot of knowledge about the product. They're also salaried adequately and don't depend solely on commission, but they do earn very well with both combined. This is very deliberate. Also, these are not as high volume cars, so the experience is a lot more personal at one of these dealerships.

On the other hand, some luxury car dealers such as BMW and Infiniti actually suffer and their dealership surveys vary from place to place - as some dealers hire sales reps who formerly sold Toyotas or Nissans. Therein, we have the issue of missing product passion. Also, BMW dealerships rely way too much on the badge (just like non-luxury car dealers) and simply know the cars will sell based on that. Infiniti's problem is that the dealer network used to be closely related to the Nissan network for too long, and so many dealers are owned by complacent idiots. This is slowly changing, but the dealers have a propensity to hire Nissan sales reps so their customer service often seems...off.

That's kind of it in a nutshell.

So... I wrote my Master's thesis about this exact topic (or rather about what obstacles there are in automotive distribution for a large scale roll-out of the "connected car"). And you are basically hitting the nail on the head.

• Cars are getting more complex and customers more educated as they read up on the Internet before visiting the dealership
  • As cars are getting more complex, the sales process takes longer time. Especially if the salesperson tries to sell infotainment services that can be very time consuming to demonstrate
  • However, commissions on cars have not increased. Selling a $30k car today will give you the same commission as 10 years ago, but the process is much longer/more complicated. While there is commission for extra (infotainment) features, these are often not in line with the extra time/effort needed to learn and sell them.
  • And again, as cars are getting more complex, the need for training increases for the salespersons. As their salary is primarily commissions, this is basically unpaid work for them. They will therefore be less motivated to complete these trainings (which are often eLearnings they try to rush through as fast as possible)
  • Then there is a personality issue - your typical car salesman is perhaps not the person most suited to sell, what is today basically rolling computers. But the people who actually could understand and learn everything that a car salesperson needs to know today - well, there are probably better career avenues available for them than working as a Toyota salesman.

In the end, what you get is car salesmen who do not know, do not have the capacity to learn (a bit harsh, but), nor are incentivized to actually describe and sell you all the features of a car. We concluded that what is needed is a separation of the demonstration of the car and the actual selling of the car, where the demonstrator would be a salaried expert (like you say is the case at the high-end brands).

Evo X

Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Congrats! Looks like a new PC gamer will be entering the world next year. :)

Also, rip in peace regular sleep schedule. You can practice now by having loud screeching noises play on your phone at random times throughout the night. lol

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Congrats man. Kids are cool.

And you can still get yourself a fun car you love. Lots of suggestions already. I'm a father with two little ones crammed in the back of an evo!

Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Congrats man!!!!

I've managed to stick an entire drum set(disassembled of course) in my Miata, I'm sure you can find a way to stick the wife and kid in a 2 seater lol.

Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

congrats!

Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Time to smoke some fools with an X5M lol, congrats man.

Bandit1

19481166553_e27db64b81_z.jpg

Just got it home. 1978 Trans Am, original paint, numbers matching 400 Pontiac/automatic, t-tops, and the WS6 suspension option (got the 8" snowflakes with it, Rally II's are just my rollers)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Awesome, man! Congratulations! :)

My brother just got a WRX, and every time I went to a Subbie dealership with him I was very pleased with the service. The salesmam said he didn't make commission which was strange but could be consistent with what Alpha said above.

Generally speaking we've been really impressed with Subaru's service. Pre and post sale even.

I absolutely love my Subaru dealer, they treated me with respect when I bought my car. Not to mention they preemptively told me, "So you probably don't want any of the extra crap but we are obligated to offer you all these warranties, gap insurance, etc etc" I said no thanks and they replied with a smile saying here's your keys, enjoy!

Jackson

Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

image.jpg

Congrats! Kids are the best! Got two girls myself, a 3 year old and a 1 year old! Love them so much.

No more Cayman :( Get a 911, (4 seats!)

Congrats man!!!!

I've managed to stick an entire drum set(disassembled of course) in my Miata, I'm sure you can find a way to stick the wife and kid in a 2 seater lol.

Read this as "drum brakes" at first and was like...
Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

(Also... Double points for tucker connection!)

Enron

Banned
This explains why the salesman at Global Imports BMW told us that all the other cars we wanted to test drive were front wheel drive (G37, GS350 and C250) and why his sales skills were rather poor. He treated us like we didn't know anything and seemed like he was trying overly hard.

Also the Infiniti dealership was the worst experience we had all day and that's two bad experiences I have had at Nalley Infiniti. It was purely old school "sit in this tiny office here while I go back and forth with my sales manager to get you the best deal" and felt about as far from a premium experience as I could imagine. It took well over half an hour of us sitting in the salesman's office before they would give us a solid offer on Dad's trade-in and an out the door number on the G37 we were looking at. Dad was ready to walk out and so was I.

Carmax not only had the best color combo on the 3 series but the price was fair and of course they are extremely easy to deal with. I was glad Dad found his car there.

Global Imports is shit. A buddy of mine complained about the experience there when he was shopping for a 550i, he ended up buying it from United instead.

Nalley Infiniti up on Cobb Parkway? Or Decatur? The Cobb Parkway guys were decent when I was looking around up there last month.

GHG

Gold Member
Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Congrats man!

This is where the real fun begins as most of the performance bargains are to be found in bigger cars. You recall when that Cayenne smoked you the other week? Well that was just a preview into future you.

Definitely check out the x6 50i or the x6m. Never gets old slaying fools in this car while making a fantastic noise.

Smokey

The well wishes are much appreciated! A lot going on. Have to sit down and game plan. I think in the short term we may lease my wife's car whatever that may be. She is in love with the GLK and has been for years. The new one is coming out later this year too, but my wife is really fond of the look of the current gen car. Our MB rep said they are offering $2,500 off top to move the current inventory, plus I get another $2,500 from my employer. That's $5,000 off without me even negotiating.

Test drove the X5 and really liked it. She thought it might be too big, but she had a good feel about it too. She preferred the X3 though. She's not very big and she prefers smaller cars/SUVs. I want that X5 tho.

matmanx1

Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

Just tell her that the Subaru WRX actually IS the safest and most practical option. "Honey, it's a Subaru!"

So... I wrote my Master's thesis about this exact topic (or rather about what obstacles there are in automotive distribution for a large scale roll-out of the "connected car"). And you are basically hitting the nail on the head.

• Cars are getting more complex and customers more educated as they read up on the Internet before visiting the dealership
  • As cars are getting more complex, the sales process takes longer time. Especially if the salesperson tries to sell infotainment services that can be very time consuming to demonstrate
  • However, commissions on cars have not increased. Selling a $30k car today will give you the same commission as 10 years ago, but the process is much longer/more complicated. While there is commission for extra (infotainment) features, these are often not in line with the extra time/effort needed to learn and sell them.
  • And again, as cars are getting more complex, the need for training increases for the salespersons. As their salary is primarily commissions, this is basically unpaid work for them. They will therefore be less motivated to complete these trainings (which are often eLearnings they try to rush through as fast as possible)
  • Then there is a personality issue - your typical car salesman is perhaps not the person most suited to sell, what is today basically rolling computers. But the people who actually could understand and learn everything that a car salesperson needs to know today - well, there are probably better career avenues available for them than working as a Toyota salesman.

In the end, what you get is car salesmen who do not know, do not have the capacity to learn (a bit harsh, but), nor are incentivized to actually describe and sell you all the features of a car. We concluded that what is needed is a separation of the demonstration of the car and the actual selling of the car, where the demonstrator would be a salaried expert (like you say is the case at the high-end brands).

Bravo. Outstanding work. We need to put you in charge of overhauling the dealership experience.

Global Imports is shit. A buddy of mine complained about the experience there when he was shopping for a 550i, he ended up buying it from United instead.

Nalley Infiniti up on Cobb Parkway? Or Decatur? The Cobb Parkway guys were decent when I was looking around up there last month.

Nalley on Cobb Parkway. They've relocated to the lot where Nalley Volvo used to be and they were all waiting outside like vultures ready to descend from on high when we pulled up. The first guy basically told us they had a quota to meet that day and there were looks of desperation on all of the sales staff. It was not an agreeable atmosphere and it didn't get any better when they put us in the tiny office to wait for more than half an hour while they did the back and forth with the sales manager thing.

Thought this was funny.

"Only a little" mad hahaha.

Also all I learned from this is that I'm fine with a Carrera or Carrera S, and GT3.

Which is kinda funny coz I've entertained the thought of daily driving a Viper, but for some reason I'm hesitant with the GT2 RS.

Read this as "drum brakes" at first and was like...

(Also... Double points for tucker connection!)

Speaking of drum brakes... it's 2015 right?

Then why the hell does Honda still sell new Civics with rear drum brakes?!?!

I was at a Honda dealership last night with a buddy looking at V6 Accords and I was walking past a Civic and that's the first thing that caught my eye. I was completely baffled and wanted to retreat to my local Mazda dealer where even a base model 3 has disc brakes.

Honda really doesn't give a shit right now do they?

Also, I feel that there's a Rush Hour joke here but it's too early in the morning that I don't get it lol.

Lower end dealers hire virtually any one with a high-school diploma. As a result of getting hired with no experience, lot of them are paid next to nothing and have to rely on turnarounds for commission.

Sadly I've owned my FR-S for more time than the guy who sold it to me was at the dealership.

Brehs, somebody tell me why I just fell in love with a Genesis Coupe 3.8?

If I hadn't gone with the FR-S, I would've gone with the Genesis Coupe. I love how it looks and it has a lot of get up and go for the price. It's odd that a lot of the people on the GT86 owner's forum mention getting a mustang instead of the twins if you want more power, when the Genesis Coupe is in a similar price range. I also feel the early 2.0T turned a lot of people off the Coupe, as it's a little heavy for what it does, even if the Turbo gets it past the torque dip that plagues the FR-S. The 3.8 is the business though.

"I actually want to die"

GT2 RS!

I LIFT OFF. I DIE. I LIFT OFF AGAIN.

Welppppppppppp

rip in peace stingray
rip in peace M4

I'm late to the party, but congrats my man! Kids are the best!

matmanx1

According to carmagazine.uk Porsche is going to allow certain markets to position the new Cayman below the Boxster. As in the Cayman will be the entry level and the Boxster will be the next step up.

I wonder if this will happen here in North America? Or if it's too late to change the perception that Cayman is a small step up from the Boxster. It makes sense that the hardtop would be cheaper than the convertible but it's never worked that way before for the Porsche mid-engined siblings.

If I hadn't gone with the FR-S, I would've gone with the Genesis Coupe. I love how it looks and it has a lot of get up and go for the price. It's odd that a lot of the people on the GT86 owner's forum mention getting a mustang instead of the twins if you want more power, when the Genesis Coupe is in a similar price range. I also feel the early 2.0T turned a lot of people off the Coupe, as it's a little heavy for what it does, even if the Turbo gets it past the torque dip that plagues the FR-S. The 3.8 is the business though.

That's interesting actually.

I priced a 3.8 Spec and it came out to $30,400... and at that price you could get a Mustang in Ecoboost Premium trim. But that's about 30 horses less and about 100 heavier compared to the Genesis.

On the other hand, a 3.8 Ultimate is pretty much on par with the GT/V8 Mustang price wise, but also the 'stang has has about 200hp more than the Genesis so it's kind of a no-brainer here lol.

Hmm... I'm gonna start a Kickstarter for "Jongkookie's new car fund" with a goal of $10K($7K goes to pay off my Miata and the rest for the downpayment on the new one)... anybody in? Lol.

That's interesting actually.

I priced a 3.8 Spec and it came out to $30,400... and at that price you could get a Mustang in Ecoboost Premium trim. But that's about 30 horses less and about 100 heavier compared to the Genesis.

On the other hand, a 3.8 Ultimate is pretty much on par with the GT/V8 Mustang price wise, but also the 'stang has has about 200hp more than the Genesis so it's kind of a no-brainer here lol.

Hmm... I'm gonna start a Kickstarter for "Jongkookie's new car fund" with a goal of $10K($7K goes to pay off my Miata and the rest for the downpayment on the new one)... anybody in? Lol.

Yeah the only reason to get the Ultimate is if you want a Manual version of the R-Spec, so the price is still pretty low. Unless HID lights, a rear spoiler and backup camera, aluminum pedals, and heated seats are worth the price difference. For 4k you could do a lot better IMO.

I think the Genesis is a good in between for those who want handling like the FR-S but power like the Mustang. However, my '15 FR-S with TRD Sway bar, Exhaust, and Brake Pads cost me around 32K out the door due to taxes and local dealer markup. You can't even find new Genesis Coupes in my town, which is a shame.

Also I wish I had enough internet fame to start a Forced Induction Kickstarter. For around 6K I could hit 250-270 WHP and still be CARB legal...

No Love

Banned
Also I wish I had enough internet fame to start a Forced Induction Kickstarter. For around 6K I could hit 250-270 WHP and still be CARB legal...

I honestly think that the reason that kickstarter wouldn't work is because of how laughable that statement is. $6k for 250-270 whp? $6k on anything else is like 400-500~ whp depending on the car.

Once almost every car is turbo, there's going to be so many options for EVERY enthusiast from the guys driving little commuter Civics that just want like 50 whp extra to the hardcore drag racer that want to pull the max out of a performance car. Just a couple mods and a tune will make everyone's driving experience a lot more fun and make adding power simple and easy.

AlphaSnake

Sadly I've owned my FR-S for more time than the guy who sold it to me was at the dealership.

I LIFT OFF. I DIE. I LIFT OFF AGAIN.

My best bud had a 2012 2.0 R-Spec and he got rid of it pretty quick. I drove it a handful of times every time he drank (I don't drink) and man...lousy car, imo. Crap clutch feel, flimsy shifter feel, and gobs of boost lag. The 3.8 is a much better car.

rokkerkory

My best bud had a 2012 2.0 R-Spec and he got rid of it pretty quick. I drove it a handful of times every time he drank (I don't drink) and man...lousy car, imo. Crap clutch feel, flimsy shifter feel, and gobs of boost lag. The 3.8 is a much better car.

Nothing a few mods can't solve right?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hey experts of NeoGAF, I require your assistance.

Long story short, my GF recently bought a 2007 Toyota FJ, and we have a trailer for the bikes we need to attach. Went out and ordered a 4-pin T connector for the lights, and we got an entire wiring kit.
myw16I4.jpg

I was a little confused because normally it's just a grey plug-in connecter that attaches, like this (just an example)
zX9DOnh.jpg

and there's definitely one of those under the car. So we went to the Toyota dealership to ask what was up, and it turns out this was an aftermarket part the previous owner had added, as the FJ doesn't come with it.

Now we're stuck with a big issue, we have a connecter, but no idea what model it was built for and can't just "try out" different ones because you can't return electronics. So I'm begging you for any help in identifying which model this particular end is built for. Here is a blurry picture of the bastard.

Jackson

Nothing a few mods can't solve right?

But why? Unless you are buying a very old car or a sleeper you shouldn't have to invest in mods to make your sports car feel decent. Mods should make a solid car good or a good car great. Not a junky car decent. Ya know?

I've never driven a Genesis before, so I got no idea how it is, I'm just saying this as a general rule.

Hey experts of NeoGAF, I require your assistance.

Long story short, my GF recently bought a 2007 Toyota FJ, and we have a trailer for the bikes we need to attach. Went out and ordered a 4-pin T connector for the lights, and we got an entire wiring kit.
myw16I4.jpg

I was a little confused because normally it's just a grey plug-in connecter that attaches, like this (just an example)
zX9DOnh.jpg

and there's definitely one of those under the car. So we went to the Toyota dealership to ask what was up, and it turns out this was an aftermarket part the previous owner had added, as the FJ doesn't come with it.

Now we're stuck with a big issue, we have a connecter, but no idea what model it was built for and can't just "try out" different ones because you can't return electronics. So I'm begging you for any help in identifying which model this particular end is built for. Here is a blurry picture of the bastard.

No idea. Swing by a uhaul and see if they have anything similar, or Google around for trailer adapters. Either that or you can just cut that loose and wire up a different 4 pin if you feel comfortable doing wiring (it's easy).

Edit: that really doesn't look like any trailer connector I've ever seen.

I honestly think that the reason that kickstarter wouldn't work is because of how laughable that statement is. $6k for 250-270 whp? $6k on anything else is like 400-500~ whp depending on the car.

Yeah that's a good point. I mean with the JRSC I could easily push 300 whp with a good tune, but the CARB legal one puts you at around the 250-270 range. Which a lot of people find laughable on paper, but given the weight of the FR-S I'm totally happy with that as a daily driver + weekend road trip car.

Some guys are pulling 400+ whp for the same price with turbos, but those don't help with the torque dip as much as a SC would and once again, I live in Cali where the laws are stricter so that's no fun.

But why? Unless you are buying a very old car or a sleeper you shouldn't have to invest in mods to make your sports car feel decent. Mods should make a solid car good or a good car great. Not a junky car decent. Ya know?

I've never driven a Genesis before, so I got no idea how it is, I'm just saying this as a general rule.

True, unless you really like the car for other reasons but want to bring it up to par. A lot of people bought the GT86 used for that reason - save 10k and use that for FI and suspension to make it really come alive.

How does it look in person vs pictures?
Miata looks good in person.
I didn't expect it to be so curvy and have nice tapered bevels especially when you are looking at the beltline as you enter the car. The front slopes much more dramatically than the NC (which was next to the ND). I thought the Navi dispay would obscure the front window but i really doesn't. I also thought the car looked too raised in the pictures but I never felt sitting so low to the ground. Didn't get to see the trunk inside but the lid for it looks small. I really didn't like the tail lights but it didn't seem as bad when I saw it in person.

Top Bottom