• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

So the 62% is the residual cost on the car after my lease is up? As for MF, the preliminary quote given didn't have that on there. I haven't had a chance to go back and try to negotiate the whole thing further.

Yep so its 62% value of the original cost if you opt for the 10k miles per year lease. I would for sure ask your dealer what the MF is on the quote.

1024.jpg

http://www.trackdecals.com/products/objects-in-mirror-are-losing-decal BUY NAO!

Don't buy this thing.

I got mine a few days ago, and I even washed and waxed my car today so it'll be pristine when I put it.

I start cutting the corners to fit the mirrors, spend time angling it perfectly and finally applied it.

NOPE.

The letters stick to the clear plastic thing at the front. So I pulled out a hair dryer and thought maybe some heat treatment would get the vinyl to stick. Didn't work either, mind you it's already 100F degrees outside so there shouldn't be any heat treatment needed either. So I grabbed a fingernail and pulled the letters out one by one. That worked but shit was so crooked I just took it out and threw it in the trash.

What's worse is that there's no CS email or number to let them know that this product is shit. It was only $7 bucks so I'm not really looking for a refund or a new one, but I'm a little aggravated right now that I just wanna send a scathing email or something. Maybe that's why it's hidden coz they know their product is utter shit.

On the bright side, I washed and waxed my Miata today! It looks so clean and shiny after waxing it with my orbital buffer lol.

Spotted something I've never seen in person before.

Nissan Murano AWD Convertible.

I was surprised to find out its lifetime sales in the US were more than 5000.

Spotted this while looking at pictures of Volk ZE40's...

11255432_895839420482746_273664734_n.jpg

That's a nice bit of kit from Odula

Also I've booked my appointment to get some work done on my STI. I'm getting the rear fenders rolled (Damn Subaru's, and there terrible high offsets), oil change, rear diff fluid change, having the downpipe wrapped and installed along with the exhaust. They said they'd throw on my Cobb intake (with box) too since I'm getting a lot done that day.

I can't wait to go stage two people!!!

Oxn

Why aren't we discussing the new Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio in this thread? It's absolutely stunning and delivers 503 bhps (significantly more than an M3) from a Ferrari powertrain!

We did during the unveiling. Im loving what Alfa Romeo is doing. They give me the Jaguar vibe.

i shouldn't have gone to the track this week. i have a very very strong urge to continue going and i cannot stop thinking about it.

think i'm gonna try New Jersey Motorsports Park in August followed by a return to Lime Rock in October. all PCA events.

this is gonna kill my wallet.

I am always surprised by what I can fit into the BRZ's trunk with a little bit of maneuvering. I thought I would have to borrow my friends Mazda 3 to get this home. Ikea shelf, 73" long packaging.

Can I play?

I have an FR-S and (knockoff) Rota SS10s:

Drqt8DM.jpg

Love it to death. Haven't done any real work to it outside of cosmetics, but I'm planning on some FI to remove the torque dip eventually.

It's more than enough fun on weekend drives though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_lhnfhEUVk

Bandit1

Been laying in bed for an hour and can't sleep... Working on a deal for a 1978 Trans Am. Complete car, original red paint, t-tops, numbers matching 400, and the WS6 handling package. Needs total restoration. Comes with a big pile of extra parts. Then after I finish up this deal I may be getting my hands on two ~1971 Datsun 510 2-doors.

Big-E

Anybody in here know anything about tires? I am going to be driving a lot on logging roads and the company I am working for are recommending 10 ply tires. I went to a shop my family has used for decades and the owner there said that it would be overkill and make the car run sloppier and use more gas. Anybody have any experience on logging roads?

11255432_895839420482746_273664734_n.jpg

Also I've booked my appointment to get some work done on my STI. I'm getting the rear fenders rolled (Damn Subaru's, and there terrible high offsets), oil change, rear diff fluid change, having the downpipe wrapped and installed along with the exhaust. They said they'd throw on my Cobb intake (with box) too since I'm getting a lot done that day.

Looks like a mini-Batmobile. Not that that's a bad thing or anything.

ameratsu

Anybody in here know anything about tires? I am going to be driving a lot on logging roads and the company I am working for are recommending 10 ply tires. I went to a shop my family has used for decades and the owner there said that it would be overkill and make the car run sloppier and use more gas. Anybody have any experience on logging roads?

I'm kind of confused why they recommend 10 ply tires to drive on logging roads. Logging roads are similar to gravel roads in terms of road surface, and those are drivable on any sort of tire. If you are throwing winter/snow into the mix, you will want to get winter tires for those conditions regardless of road type.

mkenyon

Banned

I actually don't like that very much, looks way too busy. Ruins the flow of the car, IMO.

Should be a lot of fun!

I don't know what the situation is on current WRXs, but one of the absolute best upgrades I ever did was replace the engine and transmission mounts with stiffer ones. Improved every aspect of the drivetrain. Though, the car was a bit shaky when it was warming up.
Can I play?

I have an FR-S and (knockoff) Rota SS10s:

Love it to death. Haven't done any real work to it outside of cosmetics, but I'm planning on some FI to remove the torque dip eventually.

It's more than enough fun on weekend drives though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_lhnfhEUVk
Gorgeous. This is still the only car that could tempt me away from a used 911.

Now why would a car manufacturer want to do that? These days they could give two shits about modability. It's not like they would really benefit as race-versions of their cars are usually super heavily modified themselves. There's very little economic benefit to over engineering something and charging a modest price for it with large car manufacturers.

they already overengineer, mostly for consumer idiocy, running the engine dry redlining it too long. ect..

Mistel

Banned
Has there been a naturally aspirated 4 cyl that has topped the S2000's? I think the Japanese AP1 F20C was about 245 hp or so. That is still impressive to this day. There are turbocharged 4 cyl now in sports cars that don't get that much.
There's a few such as Pontiac's SD4, Mopar midget engines, Cosworth Duratec's there's probably more but those are the ones I can think of now.

mkenyon

Banned
Funny, a guy on the owner's forums is selling his for a used 911. But it's understandable, as they're both a lot of fun to drive.
Objectively, the 911 would be a better option for a pure driving experience.

But it would be nice having something with some modern creature comforts. And I'm a Subie fanboy.

Zyzyxxz

they already overengineer, mostly for consumer idiocy, running the engine dry redlining it too long. ect..

But now they engineer for economy. The old cast iron engines of the old days like the 3GST-E in the Celica/MR2 aren't coming back. Those engines could take boost mods very well but they were very heavy, wouldn't meet today's emission standards, and generally had crappy fuel economy.

boltz

Introducing the refreshed Honda Accuraord?

compressed-accord-1-1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/23/...-carplay-android-auto-official/#slide-3558675

Hwat? It looks leagues better than the outgoing car. Beautiful little touches. Camry once again looks aged as fuck compared to it. And Nissan better have an ace up its sleeve with the all new gen Altima.

I think the front end looks a bit too busy with all those various lines in the headlights and grill. But the rear end is nicely spruced up and reminds me of an E-Class. And it's nice to see LED lighting becoming available across the entire model line..

Objectively, the 911 would be a better option for a pure driving experience.

But it would be nice having something with some modern creature comforts. And I'm a Subie fanboy.

That was his reasoning as well. He's getting it from a friend who has kept it well maintained and for a fair price, I'm assuming.

I told him he made the right choice, but every morning I get into that car I fall in love with it again. I'm just looking to add 40-50 more wheel horsepower for the 1 year anniversary.

I came to the conclusion that a Camaro is going to drain me on gas and insurance.

At least the Miata can do 30 MPG combined while still being enjoyable.

My man.

It's honestly fncking hilarious to see fellow Miata buddies get 30 MPG after tearing it up on the track.

I still haven't seen an ND in the dealer lots here in DFW though. I thought they were supposed to be here last weekend but nah, not yet. Looks like my dealer wasn't lying about the 2 week wait time.

On the other hand, I saw something like this on the road yesterday:

I love love love the unique red my Miata has, but something about this "Competition Yellow" paint made me completely jealous.

Maybe it's the fact that it's a rare color(only produced for basically a year), or the fact that the smiley face looks more ridiculous in yellow. Either way, I'm hoping this becomes a color for the ND next year... I'd be throwing money at my dealer if that were to happen lol.

matmanx1

I came to the conclusion that a Camaro is going to drain me on gas and insurance.

At least the Miata can do 30 MPG combined while still being enjoyable.

Very wise. Although the Miata is far from the only car that can get 30+ mpg and still be fun. Are you looking for more straight line speed and torque or more of a momentum car? The Miata is no slouch 0 - 60 now but is still very much a momentum car. It won't have that explosive "push in the back" that the Camaro would although I am sure you know that.

matmanx1

Saturday was the day. My dad and I got up early and started hitting dealerships when they opened so that he could drive as many cars as possible and hopefully make a decision before having to drive back home that evening.

Living northwest of Atlanta I have many more options for car dealerships (especially down Cobb Parkway to the Perimeter) than he does in rural Alabama so that's where we focused our attention.

I'm afraid I have influenced him negatively because he ended up buying a 2012 BMW 328i. Only 22k miles on it and he warrantied it through CarMax for up to 100k miles or 60 months. Out of all of the things he drove (G37, C250, GS350) he liked the BMW the best and it fit his criteria the closest (best gas mileage, especially).

I made sure he knew about BMW electronics and weird failures as they get older but hopefully the Carmax warranty will insulate him from that somewhat. He got 5500 for his 2008 Ford Edge that had 118k miles on it and with warranty he was out the door for a little over 21k. Having driven the 328i from Carmax back to my house (about a 45 minute drive) I believe he got a LOT of car for his money.

bpugbxz.jpg

It sure does clean up nicely! Space Gray metallic with a beige interior.

...that's actually a great purchase!

Seriously.

Carfax's warranty is the way to go if you buy an unreliable car.

If things keep breaking down on it, that warranty will more than be worth it. Look up Doug DeMuro's Range Rover if you haven't. Dude is probably bleeding Carfax dry coz he's brought that turd in a lot of times for warranty lol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I test drove another M4. This one being an acquaintance's car whom I know from the local cigar scene. He bought a 2015 base M4, manual transmission. It has just the Harmon Kardon audio and Comfort Access.

He had the piped in exhaust coded off, as well - and it makes being in the interior much easier, all of the unwanted noise is outside of the car now. Anyways, I drove it and I liked it waaaaay, waaaay more than the loaded model I drove months ago. DCT may be the future and all that jazz, but the fun factor of throwing gears yourself and having a clutch simply cannot be replaced. That soulless feel of the car I originally drove felt very subdued. And this is probably contrary to what everyone else would say, as critics would opt for the DCT. But not for me. The DCT made the car feel duller. It's so damn clean and perfect, that it was downright boring at times. The MT is how this car should be driven.

I've said it before, if I bought an M4, it'd be a base model with a 6MT. And I think that may be a top contender for me now. 2016's now ship with more standard equipment (both the Harmon Kardon and Comfort Access), which is very nice. And they also have the all new full-LED taillights.

In any case, looking forward to closing on my the new house already. By then incentives should be great on the M4.

matmanx1

Looks great!

Love the F30!

...that's actually a great purchase!

Seriously.

Carfax's warranty is the way to go if you buy an unreliable car.

If things keep breaking down on it, that warranty will more than be worth it. Look up Doug DeMuro's Range Rover if you haven't. Dude is probably bleeding Carfax dry coz he's brought that turd in a lot of times for warranty lol.

Thanks guys! And yeah, I agree Dad did pretty well. I narrowed his list down for him and arranged the trip but he made his own decision.

So I test drove another M4. This one being an acquaintance's car whom I know from the local cigar scene. He bought a 2015 base M4, manual transmission. It has just the Harmon Kardon audio and Comfort Access.

He had the piped in exhaust coded off, as well - and it makes being in the interior much easier, all of the unwanted noise is outside of the car now. Anyways, I drove it and I liked it waaaaay, waaaay more than the loaded model I drove months ago. DCT may be the future and all that jazz, but the fun factor of throwing gears yourself and having a clutch simply cannot be replaced. That soulless feel of the car I originally drove felt very subdued. And this is probably contrary to what everyone else would say, as critics would opt for the DCT. But not for me. The DCT made the car feel duller. It's so damn clean and perfect, that it was downright boring at times. The MT is how this car should be driven.

I've said it before, if I bought an M4, it'd be a base model with a 6MT. And I think that may be a top contender for me now. 2016's now ship with more standard equipment (both the Harmon Kardon and Comfort Access), which is very nice. And they also have the all new full-LED taillights.

In any case, looking forward to closing on my the new house already. By then incentives should be great on the M4.

Totally agree irt to driver involvement and a simpler car often being the more fun. I bet a "stripped" M4 is a fantastic ride!

Enron

Banned
Saturday was the day. My dad and I got up early and started hitting dealerships when they opened so that he could drive as many cars as possible and hopefully make a decision before having to drive back home that evening.

Living northwest of Atlanta I have many more options for car dealerships (especially down Cobb Parkway to the Perimeter) than he does in rural Alabama so that's where we focused our attention.

I'm afraid I have influenced him negatively because he ended up buying a 2012 BMW 328i. Only 22k miles on it and he warrantied it through CarMax for up to 100k miles or 60 months. Out of all of the things he drove (G37, C250, GS350) he liked the BMW the best and it fit his criteria the closest (best gas mileage, especially).

I made sure he knew about BMW electronics and weird failures as they get older but hopefully the Carmax warranty will insulate him from that somewhat. He got 5500 for his 2008 Ford Edge that had 118k miles on it and with warranty he was out the door for a little over 21k. Having driven the 328i from Carmax back to my house (about a 45 minute drive) I believe he got a LOT of car for his money.

bpugbxz.jpg

It sure does clean up nicely! Space Gray metallic with a beige interior.

matmanx, you are atl? whereabouts? Va-Highlands here. wonder if im the only Va-Highlands gaffer

Is that a modern or luxury F30? I think they stopped making the modern line but it was the nicest of the 3 lines offered.

That's a modern line, and yeah I think they only sold for like 1 or 2 years so they're not very common.

matmanx1 your dad got a great color btw, Mineral Gray looks fantastic irl.

Momentary

Banned
I don't know if it's just that I go to crap American and Japanese car dealers, but it feels like every one thay I go to can't tell me diddly about why they have. Today I was at Dodge and asked about a vehicle and they immediately got their resident expert who consistently told me that he was sorry for not knowing information. I had a little more respect for this guy since he just straight up told me he didn't pay attention during the training he went to instead of trying to stumble his way out of it.

It's like this at almost every American/Japanese car dealership I go to. They don't know their own line up. They don't know what's down the pipeline and they don't even know some of their own services.

Never had a problem with European car dealerships not knowing about what they sell. I feel they are a little more passionate about what they offer and do a way better job of making you feel welcomed in their showroom.

Anyway. If anyone knows a Dodge dealership in the NC area worth a damn let me know please.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't know if it's just that I go to crap American and Japanese car dealers, but it feels like every one thay I go to can't tell me diddly about why they have. Today I was at Dodge and asked about a vehicle and they immediately got their resident expert who consistently told me that he was sorry for not knowing information. I had a little more respect for this guy since he just straight up told me he didn't pay attention during the training he went to instead of trying to stumble his way out of it.

It's like this at almost every American/Japanese car dealership I go to. They don't know their own line up. They don't know what's down the pipeline and they don't even know some of their own services.

Never had a problem with European car dealerships not knowing about what they sale. I feel they are a little more passionate about what they offer and do a way better job of making you feel welcomed in their showroom.

Anyway. If anyone knows a Dodge dealership in the NC area worth a damn let me know please.

I actually know exactly why this is. And this isn't anecdotal either:

Lower end dealers hire virtually any one with a high-school diploma. As a result of getting hired with no experience, lot of them are paid next to nothing and have to rely on turnarounds for commission. This is where your most stereotypical dealership morons come from. Dealer networks from Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Honda, and so forth have very, very low standards. The philosophy of these dealers is that 'the cars move themselves. People who buy them aren't interested in metrics and data. They want a deal on this kind of car and we need a lot of guys in the store so we can maintain volume'.

On the flip side, if you're shopping for a Jaguar, Mercedes, Lexus, or Porsche (yes, exclusively those 4) you are being greeted by people who have tons of superb experience, are very people friendly, but also have a lot of knowledge about the product. They're also salaried adequately and don't depend solely on commission, but they do earn very well with both combined. This is very deliberate. Also, these are not as high volume cars, so the experience is a lot more personal at one of these dealerships.

On the other hand, some luxury car dealers such as BMW and Infiniti actually suffer and their dealership surveys vary from place to place - as some dealers hire sales reps who formerly sold Toyotas or Nissans. Therein, we have the issue of missing product passion. Also, BMW dealerships rely way too much on the badge (just like non-luxury car dealers) and simply know the cars will sell based on that. Infiniti's problem is that the dealer network used to be closely related to the Nissan network for too long, and so many dealers are owned by complacent idiots. This is slowly changing, but the dealers have a propensity to hire Nissan sales reps so their customer service often seems...off.

That's kind of it in a nutshell.

I had that experience at the Mazda dealership I was at before I got my 3. I was asking questions I already kind of knew the answer to or wanted a basic clarification on, but could tell the sales guy didn't really know much.

Edit: What do you think is a good rim color for a dark gray car? Specifically a kodo Mazda3 sedan. Seems the options are silver and a darker silver/gray.

I had that experience at the Mazda dealership I was at before I got my 3. I was asking questions I already kind of knew the answer to or wanted a basic clarification on, but could tell the sales guy didn't really know much.

Edit: What do you think is a good rim color for a dark gray car? Specifically a kodo Mazda3 sedan. Seems the options are silver and a darker silver/gray.

I remember when I was looking at the Civic Si, the salesman told me it had a turbo.

I just looked at him. Didn't say anything. Then went to a different dealership lol

Same here. On the bright side, that made it easier to get the price I wanted. Then they tried to sell me some paint coating using acid rain maps from like 2001. Wasn't sure if they were being dishonest or genuinely stupid.

I think the darker silver is reserved for the Grand Touring, but regardless, with a dark gray 3, I'd personally go with the darker silver.

I remember when I was looking at the Civic Si, the salesman told me it had a turbo.

I just looked at him. Didn't say anything. Then went to a different dealership lol

I'm fortunate that the closest Subaru dealership was extremely knowledgable when I was shopping for a WRX. Even knew about the changes for '16 and the differences between the StarLink units. I didn't end up buying the rex, but we still go there to service the missus' car and will definitely stop there first if we're in the market for another Subaru.

matmanx1

matmanx, you are atl? whereabouts? Va-Highlands here. wonder if im the only Va-Highlands gaffer

I actually live in Taylorsville which is a dot on the map between Rome and Cartersville, Ga. We're about 60 miles northwest of Atl.

Is that a modern or luxury F30? I think they stopped making the modern line but it was the nicest of the 3 lines offered.

It's the modern.

That's a modern line, and yeah I think they only sold for like 1 or 2 years so they're not very common.

matmanx1 your dad got a great color btw, Mineral Gray looks fantastic irl.

Thank you! It was definitely the best color combo on a 3 series that we saw all day.

matmanx1

I actually know exactly why this is. And this isn't anecdotal either:

Lower end dealers hire virtually any one with a high-school diploma. As a result of getting hired with no experience, lot of them are paid next to nothing and have to rely on turnarounds for commission. This is where your most stereotypical dealership morons come from. Dealer networks from Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Honda, and so forth have very, very low standards. The philosophy of these dealers is that 'the cars move themselves. People who buy them aren't interested in metrics and data. They want a deal on this kind of car and we need a lot of guys in the store so we can maintain volume'.

On the flip side, if you're shopping for a Jaguar, Mercedes, Lexus, or Porsche (yes, exclusively those 4) you are being greeted by people who have tons of superb experience, are very people friendly, but also have a lot of knowledge about the product. They're also salaried adequately and don't depend solely on commission, but they do earn very well with both combined. This is very deliberate. Also, these are not as high volume cars, so the experience is a lot more personal at one of these dealerships.

On the other hand, some luxury car dealers such as BMW and Infiniti actually suffer and their dealership surveys vary from place to place - as some dealers hire sales reps who formerly sold Toyotas or Nissans. Therein, we have the issue of missing product passion. Also, BMW dealerships rely way too much on the badge (just like non-luxury car dealers) and simply know the cars will sell based on that. Infiniti's problem is that the dealer network used to be closely related to the Nissan network for too long, and so many dealers are owned by complacent idiots. This is slowly changing, but the dealers have a propensity to hire Nissan sales reps so their customer service often seems...off.

That's kind of it in a nutshell.

This explains why the salesman at Global Imports BMW told us that all the other cars we wanted to test drive were front wheel drive (G37, GS350 and C250) and why his sales skills were rather poor. He treated us like we didn't know anything and seemed like he was trying overly hard.

Also the Infiniti dealership was the worst experience we had all day and that's two bad experiences I have had at Nalley Infiniti. It was purely old school "sit in this tiny office here while I go back and forth with my sales manager to get you the best deal" and felt about as far from a premium experience as I could imagine. It took well over half an hour of us sitting in the salesman's office before they would give us a solid offer on Dad's trade-in and an out the door number on the G37 we were looking at. Dad was ready to walk out and so was I.

Carmax not only had the best color combo on the 3 series but the price was fair and of course they are extremely easy to deal with. I was glad Dad found his car there.

Top Bottom