• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nothing a few mods can't solve right?

Ehh, I don't agree. It would require an all new clutch and a new throw kit to fix the feel of the transmission - and even that might make things worse.

And bolt-on mods might make the turbo lag that much more obvious. Breather mods will allow the turbos to spool up a little quicker, for sure, but the power they'll add in the mid and high range, compared to the inherently low amount of power the engine makes before the turbos spool...I feel like the lag will be even more evident in contrast.

Case in point, high-powered Subies and Evos. Single turbos are just not worth it. There's only one powerful production car with a single turbo that I really enjoyed, and it was the current Volvo S60 R (Polestar) which I had for a few days and reviewed. I loved that thing. And the newer ones are even better.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
No idea. Swing by a uhaul and see if they have anything similar, or Google around for trailer adapters. Either that or you can just cut that loose and wire up a different 4 pin if you feel comfortable doing wiring (it's easy).

Edit: that really doesn't look like any trailer connector I've ever seen.

Thanks for responding!

Yeah, it's looking like my only option will be to just splice the wires together. I just wanted it to be easier.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Hey Auto-Gaf,
I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to deal with a chip fracture of the window.

I literally just got my new car two days ago, only to have a truck throw a pebble off and chip the windshield. The pebble hit the windshield, made a small crack, and then ricochet to make a smaller crack.

Ignore the streaks, those are dead bugs. The two dots are the cracks:

http://i.imgur.com/pbh4Nw7.jpg
WiPKcKO.jpg

The windshield guys were able to fix the lower crack (not seen in photo because its dark out), but apparently the top one is too small and superficial to fix. What say you guys? Can such a thing happen, or should I go get a second opinion? I don't want my windshield to crack on me.

AlphaSnake

Hey Auto-Gaf,
I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to deal with a chip fracture of the window.

I literally just got my new car two days ago, only to have a truck throw a pebble off and chip the windshield. The pebble hit the windshield, made a small crack, and then ricochet to make a smaller crack.

The windshield guys were able to fix the lower crack (not seen in photo because its dark out), but apparently the top one is too small and superficial to fix. What say you guys? Can such a thing happen, or should I go get a second opinion? I don't want my windshield to crack on me.

These are normal rock chips and your windshield will accumulate them. Nothing you can do to fix that and not a chance in hell it'll cause any kind of cracking. You would literally have to see spiderwebbing form around the chip in order for it to be a worrisome issue.

I know the feeling though, 2 months after I got my Jaguar it got a huge rock chip in the windshield. I had it repaired next day.

Hey Auto-Gaf,

Doesn't look like a crack, I've had bigger chips than that that never cracked and spread.

The Golf R comparos should be fun.

No Love

Banned
Ehh, I don't agree. It would require an all new clutch and a new throw kit to fix the feel of the transmission - and even that might make things worse.

And bolt-on mods might make the turbo lag that much more obvious. Breather mods will allow the turbos to spool up a little quicker, for sure, but the power they'll add in the mid and high range, compared to the inherently low amount of power the engine makes before the turbos spool...I feel like the lag will be even more evident in contrast.

Case in point, high-powered Subies and Evos. Single turbos are just not worth it. There's only one powerful production car with a single turbo that I really enjoyed, and it was the current Volvo S60 R (Polestar) which I had for a few days and reviewed. I loved that thing. And the newer ones are even better.

High powered Evo doesn't mean massive turbo lag. It's easy to make disgusting powrt on an Evo and keep fast spool and massive low end/midrange torque.

I've never driven a Genesis 2.0T but I know for a fact that it's not even close to the level of an Evo X or even a stock WRX so I imagine it's pretty disappointing to someone that has driven a well setup turbo car (stock or modded).

Anion

So, uh... This isn't the best question, but I have never bought a car until now. So what should I check for when I pick mine up in a day or 2?Man I'm so excited, I really hope all the options I added are on it lol. That's what I'm kinda worried about

Clarkson, Hammond, and May just signed a deal with Amazon! Show is premiering next year.

http://www.digitalspy.com/british-t...son-hammond-and-may-show.html#~pjUWrEGChLYhhh
Awe yeah
Time to get that Amazon prime membership I have been pushing back lol

rokkerkory

Okay I guess. The genesis 2.0T I drove seemed to pull decently, yeah big drop off near top of the power band but that's due to small turbo. Lag was OK but not bad. The clutch was light but wasn't terrible either. Maybe it's the newer model year I drove that was different, I think it was a 13 or 14 year?

matmanx1

Man, I just saw and sat in the new Miata. I now want a Miata.

Yeah that's why I am staying far away from the driver seat of those for a couple of years. I don't trust myself. =)

Nice! I hope Ford keeps those alive for a couple of years at least. I hope they sell well enough and generate enough interest to be viable in North America.

Clarkson, Hammond, and May just signed a deal with Amazon! Show is premiering next year.

http://www.digitalspy.com/british-t...son-hammond-and-may-show.html#~pjUWrEGChLYhhh

So not Netflix eh? Amazon is fine though. Hopefully it will keep the magic alive.

But why? Unless you are buying a very old car or a sleeper you shouldn't have to invest in mods to make your sports car feel decent. Mods should make a solid car good or a good car great. Not a junky car decent. Ya know?

I've never driven a Genesis before, so I got no idea how it is, I'm just saying this as a general rule.

Yeah, on "platform" cars like the Miata and Toyobaru, mods are definitely necessary if you wanna make it better. But on purpose built cars like a V8 Mustang, Porsche, whatever, then mods aren't necessary IMO but I still see their purpose.

Like if I get a Cayman/911 I'll probably keep it as it is. But if I get the ND Miata instead, you bet I'll be upgrading the exhaust, suspension(if the Bilstein's suck like the NC) and maybe some engine mods as well... but this'll be waaaaaaaay down the line. Like when the shocks are leaking, or I'm already wanting more power.

Also RIP in peace...

1366116815_tumblr_lzu0cj22J11rp8pduo1_500.gif

Also: do we know where "Prime Gear" is being filmed?

Probably the UK as it seems like Amazon UK signed them, not Amazon USA.

Like if I get a Cayman/911 I'll probably keep it as it is. But if I get the ND Miata instead, you bet I'll be upgrading the exhaust, suspension(if the Bilstein's suck like the NC) and maybe some engine mods as well... but this'll be waaaaaaaay down the line. Like when the shocks are leaking, or I'm already wanting more power.

No lie, I have some parts that are better than stock that I bought during good sales or from part outs, but I'm saving them for when the OEM parts fail on me.

Also holy cow is the Jackson Racing SC easy to install on the Toyobaru. Now if I can just save up 5K I'll be in business.

Also Prime Gear. Give it to me. The last ep of Top Gear was so bittersweet with the empty hosting area.

Probably the UK as it seems like Amazon UK signed them, not Amazon USA.

I thought so too, but:

The move is another step in the retailer's attempts to win viewers in the growing area of streaming video. It also allows Clarkson, May, and Hammond to produce a new show without running afoul of a requirement in their old contracts that would keep them from making a U.K.-based show for the next two years, the BBC notes.

Also holy cow is the Jackson Racing SC easy to install on the Toyobaru. Now if I can just save up 5K I'll be in business.

I haven't looked into FI for the Toyobaru. Other than shredding the warranty into a million pieces, what are the advantages of the SC (other than actually being able to get out of your own way)?

I thought so too, but:

I haven't looked into FI for the Toyobaru. Other than shredding the warranty into a million pieces, what are the advantages of the SC (other than actually being able to get out of your own way)?

Torque, mostly. The SC is simpler than a turbo setup and it's also CARB legal. (the WORKS stage 2 Turbo is now CARB legal though, which is nice) The throttle response and torque delivery are faster than a turbo as well but you have to be aware that you may go through belts quicker with the SC.

But mostly to get rid of the torque dip and add a few horses while keeping the handling just as good. You could do something similar with a header and tune, but that's not as CARB legal and you wouldn't get as much HP/Torque out of it.

I may talk to my dealer about what warranty I have left and see if I want to take a dive into FI. Probably won't be until next year though. Hoping my bonus is a decent one.

AlphaSnake

High powered Evo doesn't mean massive turbo lag. It's easy to make disgusting powrt on an Evo and keep fast spool and massive low end/midrange torque.

I've never driven a Genesis 2.0T but I know for a fact that it's not even close to the level of an Evo X or even a stock WRX so I imagine it's pretty disappointing to someone that has driven a well setup turbo car (stock or modded).

I agree with this... And most of the big boost cars I've seen or been in, were twin scrolled...

Kinda overlooked my point. What I said was that the lag becomes more evident when you start adding more power to a car (this is assuming stock turbos, btw), as opposed to making the car feel better down low as was suggested.

So, uh... This isn't the best question, but I have never bought a car until now. So what should I check for when I pick mine up in a day or 2?Man I'm so excited, I really hope all the options I added are on it lol. That's what I'm kinda worried about
I'm sorry if I missed your post about it but What'd you get?

And you should have the options on there. If you don't, complain until they make it right.

Kinda overlooked my point. What I said was that the lag becomes more evident when you start adding more power to a car (this is assuming stock turbos, btw), as opposed to making the car feel better down low as was suggested.

Ah okay, well you mentioned big HP so usually that's not anything "stock" (in my head). No worries my man...

Xdye7

Not really, especially with stock turbo(s). Depends on the other parts and tune.

Also let's not confuse turbo lag and boost threshold :^)

AlphaSnake

Not really, especially with stock turbo(s). Depends on the other parts and tune.

Also let's not confuse turbo lag and boost threshold :^)

Right. And the threshold on the 2.0Ts turbos is annoyingly high compared to other 2.0Ts out there. There is virtually no torque until 2000-2400RPM and then a very sudden, almost unrefined surge at 3000RPM.

Anion

I'm sorry if I missed your post about it but What'd you get?

And you should have the options on there. If you don't, complain until they make it right.

I got a CLA 250 with the Sport+ package. Today I got the call from the dealer that the car was in. I am supposed to officially pick it up tomorrow, but I couldnt resist driving up to their secret garage to see it for myself. Luckily the gate was open today, so I finally got to see her lol
So pumped. Here are a few pics, Ill post more later if you guys want to see more
There was a really cool AMG E63S beside it, but I was too mesmerized to see my own car at the moment lol

Oxn

I got a CLA 250 with the Sport+ package. Today I got the call from the dealer that the car was in. I am supposed to officially pick it up tomorrow, but I couldnt resist driving up to their secret garage to see it for myself. Luckily the gate was open today, so I finally got to see her lol
So pumped. Here are a few pics, Ill post more later if you guys want to see more

There was a really cool AMG E63S beside it, but I was too mesmerized to see my own car at the moment lol

CLA250 is always a head turner for me, love the way it looks. Someone on the next block from me has it in White.

Yep. No replacement for displacement.

That car, that color... Love it. Have fun!

AlphaSnake

Beautiful car. Great color. I want my mom to get a GLA250 in that same red this year.

Indeed. Both of my cars are big V8s (5.0 and 5.6) with 400HP+, and there's really nothing quite like the instantaneous trunk pulling rush of torque and a tidal wave of horsepower.

GHG

Gold Member

Looks great. Congrats and enjoy it!

Always had a soft spot for the mercedes CLA/CLS series of cars. They just exude class IMO.

matmanx1

Niiiice! CLA's are good looking cars. Enjoy it!

Preach it, brother! I hope the normally aspirated V8 never dies.

Indeed. Both of my cars are big V8s (5.0 and 5.6) with 400HP+, and there's really nothing quite like the instantaneous trunk pulling rush of torque and a tidal wave of horsepower.

I really couldn't justify getting something that beefy, especially as my first new car coming out of college. I didn't want used because my brother's 4Runner is already enough of a handful for my weekend fixer-upper needs, so I had a 30K budget and settled on the FR-S. Loved how it looked and handled.

However, I'm either going for a small 3K SC setup with a controller that makes it feel like a 2.4L engine with around 210 whp, or a larger 5K SC setup that'll get me around 250 whp but without the instant delivery of the smaller SC.

Part of me knows the instant torque delivery would be more fun and I don't need the extra horses, but the other part of me wants them. Decisions decisions...

Niiiice! CLA's are good looking cars. Enjoy it!

Preach it, brother! I hope the normally aspirated V8 never dies.

tumblr_np4hfs5Kwq1qz7otto4_250.gif

Also an interesting article:

Which is quicker: today's hot hatches or yesterday's supercars?

Funny what you can get for the money these days. They may not look as nice though.

AetherZX

So, in about two weeks, against all of the good advice and horror stories given surrounding it, I'll be buying a JDM 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo (unfortunately automatic) with 87,xxx miles:

1936777_109185872372_1274819_n.jpg

1mL3dhN.jpg

At $3000, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. Oh and it's also slated to be my first car.

How dead am I

So, in about two weeks, against all of the good advice and horror stories given surrounding it, I'll be buying a JDM 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo (unfortunately automatic) with 87,xxx miles:

1mL3dhN.jpg

At $3000, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. Oh and it's also slated to be my first car.

How dead am I

I mean...what state is it in mechanically? $3000 seems too low almost.

AetherZX

I mean...what state is it in mechanically? $3000 seems too low almost.

Well, I don't live in the US, so no idea what's considered normal for these cars. But in these parts (Bahamas), prices seem to range from $1,500-$5,000.

After some background detective work, this is perhaps one of the cleanest and most well kept examples on this island. Only had two owners within the country and has never been hit. Serviced regularly every 2 months and has a few modifications - only downpipes and injectors it seems.

The owner isn't exactly pushing to sell it either, he was just open to offers and responded to mine.

1mL3dhN.jpg

How dead am I

JDM for 3k? you must live in Canada (edit: oh ok bahamas). welcome to the TTZ club. I think i'm the only member on gaf lol.

get your timing belt/kit done asap & every 60k miles or say hello to bent valves & check your turbos to make sure they haven't been set to overboost and detonate the shit out of your engine.

also RIP to your wallet

AlphaSnake

1mL3dhN.jpg

How dead am I

What the fuck?

Lucky as hell...

AetherZX

JDM for 3k? you must live in Canada (edit: oh ok bahamas). welcome to the TTZ club. I think i'm the only member on gaf lol.

get your timing belt/kit done asap & every 60k miles or say hello to bent valves & check your turbos to make sure they haven't been set to overboost and detonate the shit out of your engine.

also RIP to your wallet

Yep, probably going to get one of those 60-120k service packages from Z1's shop. I'm extremely salty about the auto and considering this is also a slicktop, there's no way it's going to stay mated to that slushbox for very long.

Yep, probably going to get one of those 60-120k service packages from Z1's shop. I'm extremely salty about the auto and considering this is also a slicktop, there's no way it's going to stay mated to that slushbox for very long.

Yeah I hear you. Nothing like driving a manual sports car. I need most of that Twinz Z kit in my life, excluding the front fascia.

You got a hell of a steal at 3k man. It looks clean. Congrats!

ameratsu

How dead am I

These cars have aged amazingly. Styling is classic, I love it.

That said-- holy fuck that's a pretty insane first car. You or your parents are gonna go bankrupt.

AetherZX

These cars have aged amazingly. Styling is classic, I love it.

That said-- holy fuck that's a pretty insane first car. You or your parents are gonna go bankrupt.

Part of the reason I've wanted one for years, there's nothing quite like it in design.

I'm 23 and the job is pretty stable, still hoping I never run into that sort of situation, lol.

Part of the reason I've wanted one for years, there's nothing quite like it in design.

I'm 23 and the job is pretty stable, still hoping I never run into that sort of situation, lol.

I'm the exact same age and I gave my brother my 96 4Runner with 160K miles and bought the FR-S. I think you made the smarter decision lol.

Finding unmolested used JDM cars in California is nearly impossible, sadly.

1mL3dhN.jpg

How dead am I

Nice, a TT Z32 was my first purchase as well. Still got it..... collecting dust in the garage..... :(

Your wheels are on backward.

lem0n

also RIP to your wallet

Very good advice! Keep those T belts changed!!

Evo X

Is that a Macan Turbo? Those things look fantastic. That's probably the only SUV type thing that I could see myself ever daily driving.

I got to drive a Macan Turbo at the track event and it was fantastic. Great grip, power, and stability. Felt like a lifted Evo or STI. I couldn't believe that an SUV could handle this well and actually preferred it to the Panamera GTS they had.

Top Bottom