• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

A lot of gt3 owners used macan turbos to tow their cars to the track when I went.

The local pca clubs don't allow the macans or cayennes on track though.

Anion

CLA250 is always a head turner for me, love the way it looks. Someone on the next block from me has it in White.
White is amazing too, thanks haha
That car, that color... Love it. Have fun!
I had no idea that the red would be this fantastic in real life when I ordered her. I have no regrets
Beautiful car. Great color. I want my mom to get a GLA250 in that same red this year.
Totally worth it. The GLA is a surprisingly fun car too

Looks great. Congrats and enjoy it!

Always had a soft spot for the mercedes CLA/CLS series of cars. They just exude class IMO.
Same haha, but Im biased

Niiiice! CLA's are good looking cars. Enjoy it!
Thanks man, I really now am facing the anxiety of "how far should I park"

They covered the car under a sheet since they had no idea I sneaked up to the secret lot yesterday haha. I pretended that I didnt see it before lmao
img_13059ookp.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
@GHG

I test drove one yesterday.

One day.

Nice! What did you think? Saw one in the wild doing some shopping the other evening and my wife was like "it's beautiful!" as I was dragging her away. I think we will definitely get one some day as "her" main car (there will be a race every morning to see who takes which car - RIP sleep) but I can't justify it right now. Need to wait for some depreciation to kick in.

So, in about two weeks, against all of the good advice and horror stories given surrounding it, I'll be buying a JDM 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo (unfortunately automatic) with 87,xxx miles:

1936777_109185872372_1274819_n.jpg

1mL3dhN.jpg

At $3000, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. Oh and it's also slated to be my first car.

How dead am I

Amazing. You are not dead at all, this is where you start living.

So, in about two weeks, against all of the good advice and horror stories given surrounding it, I'll be buying a JDM 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo (unfortunately automatic) with 87,xxx miles:

At $3000, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. Oh and it's also slated to be my first car.

How dead am I

That's awesome! I remember working on my friends older brothers 300ZX way back when.
The lack of room in the engine bay will drive you crazy when it's time to work on it, but 300ZX guys don't seem to mind...

On monday I was able to testdrive this car:

2u9Ki9Y.jpg

Rx5AlCU.jpg

cIBkbTc.jpg

It felt so awesome, can't wait for my own to arrive in about 4-6 weeks. It just looks so beautiful in person, it's so awesome compared to my Golf Mk7 GTI I drove before that and it's in the same price region here

Anion

It felt so awesome, can't wait for my own to arrive in about 4-6 weeks. It just looks so beautiful in person, it's so awesome compared to my Golf Mk7 GTI I drove before that and it's in the same price region here

Love the new interior, it looks so much more refined. I think its a drastic improvement over the past generation visually. The wait is going to suck for you haha

2u9Ki9Y.jpg

Rx5AlCU.jpg

cIBkbTc.jpg

Oh man, I would've waited for Sync 3. It's so much better than the shitty MyFordTouch that's in there now. It's so much better that I'd cancel the order lol.
Plus it will support Android Auto and CarPlay.

Great car otherwise though. Looks awesome.

Got to test drive a brand new stick shift 2.4L Accord coupe today and here's my thoughts:

Improperly tuned FWD sucks donkey balls.

On the other hand, the clutch was surprisingly light and un-Honda like. The catch point was surprisingly low. Also the suspension, while almost pillow like, it showed some minor sporting characteristics... but it's nowhere near as good as a Mazda6.

I also got to shotgun in an auto V6 coupe(guess why I test drove the 2.4L while my friend test drove the V6? lol).

Properly tuned FWD is magical.

The acceleration is fairly alright for a 3.5L V6 but, I think the Accord is just too damn heavy. It makes 278hp and it feels comfortable and perfectly fine, whereas if I launch my bro's Mazdaspeed3, I'm already fearing for my life due to it's ridiculous speed, and that's not factoring torque steer either.

The suspension is "sport-tuned" so it's got some weight to it. It's obviously never gonna be as stiff as my Miata, but it's stiff enough for raunchy daily driving and that's something that I liked.

At the end of the day, the auto V6 won. First of all, it wasn't my car. But also it was a used 2015 model with about 8K miles and all the bells and whistles. Whereas the brand new 2.4L cost the same as the V6 but with cloth seats, and crappy trim. And you guessed it, my friend can't really drive stick and he really wanted a V6 so it was pretty much a easy decision for him. He really wanted a V6 stick though, but that's obviously almost impossible to get these days.

Also this is tales from my salesman's ass but he said the Type R should be coming this year... but I'm not too sure of his source so take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, what really surprised me was how composed that V6 was and my opinion on Honda has changed by a little bit. They actually know what the fnck they're doing if they try, but they obviously don't give enough shit that they rarely try these days so they end up as shit products for the enthusiasts.

lem0n

Oh man, I would've waited for Sync 3. It's so much better than the shitty MyFordTouch that's in there now. It's so much better that I'd cancel the order lol.
Plus it will support Android Auto and CarPlay.

Great car otherwise though. Looks awesome.

It's only here that people seem to really care about the software in their cars, it's strange. Not saying its a bad thing, just an observation. Maybe it's because we're all dorks, lol.

Evo X

Congrats on the sweet ride Agent!

Color looks really nice. Steering wheel and seats look cool too. Judging by the rest of the garage, I can see your family are huge Mercedes fans.

Also this is tales from my salesman's ass but he said the Type R should be coming this year... but I'm not too sure of his source so take it with a grain of salt.

Talking out his ass for sure. I don't even think the 10th gen 2016 Si will be out until like April 2016. US Type R I'm guessing is 2017.

Who knows though, maybe Honda will hurry their asses up to meet the Focus RS.

Anion

Congrats on the sweet ride Agent!

Color looks really nice. Steering wheel and seats look cool too. Judging by the rest of the garage, I can see your family are huge Mercedes fans.
Haha thanks man! Yeah my parents were sold on Mercedes after my mom got the R class lol. Although the R class is probably somewhere on the list of ugliest Mercedes ever made, it's very comfortable and it's look kinda has grown on me. And my father loves his Cls.

Initially, I was dead set on the VW Gti; however, my parents suggested that I look at the CLA... and I'm glad I took their suggestion

Mistel

Banned
Germany - That's why the Mustangs have white taillights (nobody knows why Ford did that) and the bigger mirrors
To comply with lighting regulations for vehicles that's why the tail lights are non sequential as well. As the US isn't a member of world forum for harmonization of vehicle regulations it doesn't on the domestic models. Whereas the non US models all seem to be of the same spec even in the Chinese models when they're also non members of the world forum for harmonization of vehicle regulations.

Gritesh

Haha thanks man! Yeah my parents were sold on Mercedes after my mom got the R class lol. Although the R class is probably somewhere on the list of ugliest Mercedes ever made, it's very comfortable and it's look kinda has grown on me. And my father loves his Cls.

Initially, I was dead set on the VW Gti; however, my parents suggested that I look at the CLA... and I'm glad I took their suggestion

I wanted to pick up a CLA 45 AMG instead of my STI earlier this year, in the end we also bought a GLK 350 so we got a mercedes but not the one I wanted.

Jelly of the CLA though, such a nice car. Congrats man!

Momentary

Banned
My best bud had a 2012 2.0 R-Spec and he got rid of it pretty quick. I drove it a handful of times every time he drank (I don't drink) and man...lousy car, imo. Crap clutch feel, flimsy shifter feel, and gobs of boost lag. The 3.8 is a much better car.

3.8 manual is a lemon. Just look at the forums and the thousands of complaints about that car. I had it and luckily got all my money back from that atrocity. Hyundai is also shit when it comes to dealing with customers. Never again. Hell, they don't even make the 2.0 Coupes anymore.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
3.8 manual is a lemon. Just look at the forums and the thousands of complaints about that car. I had it and luckily got all my money back from that atrocity. Hyundai is also shit when it comes to dealing with customers. Never again. Hell, they don't even make the 2.0 Coupes anymore.

Well then, there it is. jeffgoldblum.gif

The Genesis Coupe is garbage all together.

:)

Anion

I wanted to pick up a CLA 45 AMG instead of my STI earlier this year, in the end we also bought a GLK 350 so we got a mercedes but not the one I wanted.

Jelly of the CLA though, such a nice car. Congrats man!
Thanks man! The 45 is a beast man. The 2016 model has been upgraded to output about 381 hp and 475 lbs of max torque which is insane for this car. Absolutely insane, which of course is amazing haha

boltz

It's only here that people seem to really care about the software in their cars, it's strange. Not saying its a bad thing, just an observation. Maybe it's because we're all dorks, lol.

Trust me, MFT has gotten plenty of bashing from owners and reviewers before Ford patched it up to its current stable and useable state.

I like the quadrant UI compared to what I've seen of Sync3,which looks like it's in a handicap accessibility mode with most of the text and icons in black and the plain background. The thing that can't be fixed though is how laggy it is. That's why I would hold off on any Ford product without Sync3.

AlphaSnake

Thanks man! The 45 is a beast man. The 2016 model has been upgraded to output about 381 hp and 475 lbs of max torque which is insane for this car. Absolutely insane, which of course is amazing haha

350lbs ft. of torque. 475nm.

475tq would destroy the turbo, motor and transmission on the car.

No Love

Banned

1936777_109185872372_1274819_n.jpg

1mL3dhN.jpg

How dead am I

Awesome car but unless you are disciplined and drive like a granny until you have learned the car for a long time, you're probably going to beat it up quite a bit.

But don't be too afraid, have some fun. and swap a manual trans in there, it's a shame to have such a great car with a goofy old automatic.

Love the new interior, it looks so much more refined. I think its a drastic improvement over the past generation visually. The wait is going to suck for you haha
Totally. That cheap looking plastic interior was really outdated. I'm waiting since February, I will survive the remaining few weeks

Totally. That cheap looking plastic interior was really outdated. I'm waiting since February, I will survive the remaining few weeks

The current year of Mustangs are really good. I'm impressed at how they took the common criticisms of prior years to heart and stepped their game up. It's also fun to read stories about shops taking an Ecoboost and for less money than the next step up putting in different FI for crazy results.

GHG

Gold Member
You know what... Fuck it. I don't want an executive saloon fast daily driver anymore. I want something that is sporty and small and fast, highly tunable but can also be a daily driver. Bonus points if its a sleeper. I want to be able to track this thing at Dubai Autodrome on weekends.

I can get the fast exec saloon when I'm in Smokey's situation (sorry dude).

I'm eyeing up the Audi TT-RS. I know they are rare and I'll really have to hunt for one but has anyone here had any exposure to them?

I'll probably change my mind again next week...

lem0n

You know what... Fuck it. I don't want an executive saloon fast daily driver anymore. I want something that is sporty and small and fast, highly tunable but can also be a daily driver. Bonus points if its a sleeper. I want to be able to track this thing at Dubai Autodrome on weekends.

I can get the fast exec saloon when I'm in Smokey's situation (sorry dude).

I'm eyeing up the Audi TT-RS. I know they are rare and I'll really have to hunt for one but has anyone here had any exposure to them?

I'll probably change my mind again next week...

Arent the TTRS not all that great? I love that engine but i seem to remember hearing some not so great things about its driving dynamics. Same as the RS5. Is a Lotus or a Cayman not an option?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Welp...

11428220_1692736520944605_1907796792_n.jpg

That escalated quickly...

So much for keeping this STI stock for as long as possible.

Nice. I'm just off your pace with similar mods. Should have everything and ready for a tune next month. Holding off on installing any of it till then for the biggest difference compared to where the evox is now.

GHG

Gold Member
Arent the TTRS not all that great? I love that engine but i seem to remember hearing some not so great things about its driving dynamics. Same as the RS5. Is a Lotus or a Cayman not an option?

Yeh I'm seeing mixed reviews but I'm keen to try one out for myself to be honest and see what I think. From reading around most of the handling issues can be sorted by going with different tires (Michelin super sports) and a small modification to the hadlex system then you're good to go and the car becomes more rear biased.

Lotus is a big no no for me. Firstly I don't fit (I'm 6 ft 3) and secondly I don't think a lotus would really be compliant as a daily driver. Then there is the reliability factor - from what I know lotus' really don't stand up well to the heat here in the UAE.

The Cayman is definitely a consideration, but for the money I'd have to spend to get a decent one I may as well get a 2009 R8 and be done with it. The TT RS is in the price bracket below so it feels a bit more logical to me considering I will need extra money for tires & brakes from track use.

TylerD

When I was looking in 2012 and drove a 3.8 manual R-Spec I thought it was bad as well. Shift was sloppy, there was a buzz coming from somewhere below the stick @ 200 miles and it just didn't feel tight at all. Pretty mushy experience all-around.

I can make oil appear on the top of my engine cover and bottom of my hood pad by revving hard now all thanks to that bolt I snapped when doing the valve cover gasket last Christmas. Still haven't gotten around to replacing it and its a nice source of a vacuum leak.

I think my DISA is getting worn out. Really wish I hadn't killed my engine last year cause I lost a lot of fresh parts.

edit: Congrats on the CLA Agent. That is a very sharp looking ride. I've seen several GLAs around town, I always say "glah" and think they look very good.

No Love

Banned
Snagged a 2000 Honda CRV, one owner [this old lady that I know], 190k miles, garaged most of its life, clean title.

$1300. Needs a new windshield, tires, and A/C recharge. I've always secretly wanted something extra that can haul stuff around and costs nothing to maintain/fix/insure.

That being said, it needs a 6 speed + J32/J35 V6 swap ASAP. ;)

AlphaSnake

Welp...Motor Trend just did a 3-way head-to-head: M3 vs C63 AMG S vs ATS-V.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ats_v_sedan_vs_mercedes_amg_c63_s_comparison/

The ATS-V's trap speed is really, really odd considering its 1/4 mile time. It must be either amazing traction off the line or terrific lower gearing, with taller high gears that slow it down after triple-digits. It leaps to 30MPH half-a-second quicker than the other two. Seems like it's truly the most razor sharp and focused of all three cars.

Results:

I pretty much called it back in my M4 review when I suggested people wait on the new Ms and see how the new AMG and ATS-V turn out. I suspected that the AMG would be the better car of all three. To me, the BMW's biggest advantage is that it offers a stick, while the Merc doesn't and never will. But the noise and lunacy factor is prominent in the Merc, without resorting to any digital tricks. The interior is also much higher in quality. And clearly, the driving dynamics are more refined, as well. The W205 platform is simply better than the F3x/F8x that the M-cars are based on.

matmanx1

Welp...Motor Trend just did a 3-way head-to-head: M3 vs C63 AMG S vs ATS-V.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ats_v_sedan_vs_mercedes_amg_c63_s_comparison/

The ATS-V's trap speed is really, really odd considering its 1/4 mile time. It must be either amazing traction off the line or terrific lower gearing, with taller high gears that slow it down after triple-digits. It leaps to 30MPH half-a-second quicker than the other two. Seems like it's truly the most razor sharp and focused of all three cars.

Results:

I pretty much called it back in my M4 review when I suggested people wait on the new Ms and see how the new AMG and ATS-V turn out. I suspected that the AMG would be the better car of all three. To me, the BMW's biggest advantage is that it offers a stick, while the Merc doesn't and never will. But the noise and lunacy factor is prominent in the Merc, without resorting to any digital tricks. The interior is also much higher in quality. And clearly, the driving dynamics are more refined, as well. The W205 platform is simply better than the F3x/F8x that the M-cars are based on.

Interesting. I've always been a closet AMG fan. I wear a Merc AMG hat to work about every 3rd day (working out of an office in a warehouse means a super casual dress code).

I'm glad to see the maniacs that make those machines are getting some nods. I still wish they were a little lighter but I give them big marks for making a proper sorts sedan that not only looks and sounds beautiful but has a fantastic cabin and is a really serious performer at the same time.

Anion

350lbs ft. of torque. 475nm.

475tq would destroy the turbo, motor and transmission on the car.
Haha yeah...my bad lol

edit: Congrats on the CLA Agent. That is a very sharp looking ride. I've seen several GLAs around town, I always say "glah" and think they look very good.
Haha thanks man, I haven't seen many Glas where I live but they are also quite a looker. Overall I'm impressed MB has introduced a nice duo of good looking small cars. Now only if we had the A class in the US...

Smokey

ok back on the trading in of the 335i train. obviously circumstances have changed now so i am a little more serious :p

08 335i 93k miles -- my service engine soon light is on (well has been for 3 months lol) . i'm thinking of saying fuk it and getting something basic as fuck that i can pay off in 2 years or something before returning to glory

brehs

steer me as you see fit

ok back on the trading in of the 335i train. obviously circumstances have changed now so i am a little more serious :p

08 335i 93k miles -- my service engine soon light is on (well has been for 3 months lol) . i'm thinking of saying fuk it and getting something basic as fuck that i can pay off in 2 years or something before returning to glory

brehs

steer me as you see fit

Buy a used 2014 Mazda 3. You should be able to find one for ~$18k. Reevaluate your situation in 2 years. A decent car and you won't lose much in depreciation over 2 years, and you will have warranty.

mkenyon

Banned

brehs

steer me as you see fit
Get a manual.

GHG

Gold Member

brehs

steer me as you see fit

What's the budget and what shape of car do you want?

Do you still need an SUV?

brehs

steer me as you see fit

The answer to this question depends on whether you are still paying on the 335i or not.

If you are, and are right side up, then sure, dump it.

If you own the BMW outright, keep it.

Top Bottom