• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I've tried to help out some of the younger guys over on Zilvia, but it usually ends up with "bro, I'm just going to get these coilovers, as I just want to slam my car" and I leave it at that.

Yeah, a lot of people on there run garbage coilovers because they only care about being low. Although I honestly don't blame them as they'll never go to a track.

That said I run ksports on my car, which seem to have a reputation for being shit. Which I don't really understand, as since about 2008 their quality has gone way up. I have about 60k miles on mine including many track events and they are still holding up, and ride fairly well.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm still really surprised that there isn't a simple solution to that that is just a single unit that fits right into the same slot the cup holder does. That you can just toss in the back seat when you aren't using it.

This is where 3D printers can be amazing. Buy armrest from junkyard, print adapter. Profit.

matmanx1

It's cool to hate on the 86, haven't you heard?

Yesterday my 90-day survey came in from Scion. I took advantage of it to give them a little feedback (which will be roundly ignored)

Toyota_Scion_PQS_9_zpsftkfqjsc.jpg

Toyota_Scion_PQS_8_zpsguphtl3f.jpg

I still love the car and have no intention of getting rid of it, even though the missus is already asking me when I'm going to dump it for an STI.

Hilarious.
and painfully true

Stinkles

If you were buying a low end luxury sedan with AWD....

1. Audi A4?
2. Infiniti Q50?
3. BMW 3 series?
4. Something else?

Evo X

If you were buying a low end luxury sedan with AWD....

1. Audi A4?
2. Infiniti Q50?
3. BMW 3 series?
4. Something else?

If you care about interior quality, the new Mercedes C300 4MATIC will provide you with the best in it's class. It's pretty much a smaller S550.

Looks pretty great too IMO.

2015-mercedes-benz-c300-4matic-photo-637711-s-986x603.jpg

2015-mercedes-benz-c300-4matic-photo-637713-s-986x603.jpg

2015-mercedes-benz-c300-4matic-interior-photo-637738-s-986x603.jpg

negitoro7

What are you guys' opinions on the A3 Cabriolet? They've recently piqued my interest for a 4-seat, top-down cruiser that's reasonably priced when well equipped (much cheaper than a similarly equipped 228i convertible, at least here in Canada).

When fully loaded, it's "only" $10K more than a fully loaded ND MX5, which is my other option should I go with a 2 seat lightweight manual RWD roadster. For that extra $10K, I'd get 2 extra seats, AWD, better sound system, dual clutch transmission which I'm familiar with and like, nicer interior and a "badge".

Evo X

What are you guys' opinions on the A3 Cabriolet? They've recently piqued my interest for a 4-seat, top-down cruiser that's reasonably priced when well equipped (much cheaper than a similarly equipped 228i convertible, at least here in Canada).

When fully loaded, it's "only" $10K more than a fully loaded ND MX5, which is my other option should I go with a 2 seat lightweight manual RWD roadster.

Depends on what you want. Not sure there are many people at all cross shopping those two cars.

The Audi's interior is going to be much nicer, but the Miata is going to stomp it any measure of driver enjoyment and involvement.

The A3 is nice for cruising in the city, while the MX5 is better for attacking corners in the twisties.

Something else to consider is the A3 also has two extra seats if you need to take family and friends anywhere.

negitoro7

Depends on what you want. Not sure there are many people at all cross shopping those two cars.

The Audi's interior is going to be much nicer, but the Miata is going to stomp it any measure of driver enjoyment and involvement.

The A3 is nice for cruising in the city, while the MX5 is better for attacking corners in the twisties.

Something else to consider is the A3 also has two extra seats if you need to take family and friends anywhere.

Yeah I realize the driver involvement aspect between the two will differ hugely. Too bad it'll be a while before manual ND MX5s will be available for test drives.

The better practicality of the A3 Cab is important, as it'll be my only vehicle (though I rarely drive more than 1 person).

I'm gonna go check out an Audi dealership this weekend. In S Line trim, the chunkier steering wheel, seats and exterior do a lot for its looks IMO. Will also sample the Bang and Olufsen system. Interested to see what the S Line suspension feels like coming from my Driver Gear springs equipped GTI.

negitoro7

I know some will find it silly to get an A3 Cab for basically S3 money, but I'm at the point in my life where I really really want a convertible.

mkenyon

Banned
Hmm the new ones are nice, especially in blue, but I don't like them more than the Miata/A3/228i
I'd say go drive one before being too sure on that, but I get it if you're just not into the aesthetics at all. That's probably a significant portion of the decision making for a cabrio in this price range.

negitoro7

Cause I mentioned earlier "I'm at a point in my life where I really want a convertible", allow me to elaborate:

I had always wanted a Miata, but my ex vetoed that idea because we were planning for our future. Several months ago, she broke up with me and I've been having the convertible itch ever since. One of the reasons I want a 4 seater now is because I have a 1 year old niece and my sister is pregnant with another one on the way. Would be cool to eventually take her kids for a day trip (at the same time, in my only vehicle).

I'm in my early 30's, and in no rush to get into another long term relationship just yet, so got a few years to enjoy top down motoring (don't want to wait til I'm in my 50s or later).

I do miss driving manual, but enjoy just cruising in my DSG GTI too and not worry about shifting. I wouldn't get an auto Miata, but I'm okay with the auto-only A3 or 228i convertibles.

Hope that gives some insight into my car search.

negitoro7

370Z roadster?

4C spyder? My dream aughhhhhhh

Hmm didn't think of the 370Z roadster, will definitely research that. I think they go for about the same price as a well equipped A3/228 vert, so it's a matter of more muscular motor vs luxury 4 seater. However I must say I'm quite liking the new Miata if I go 2 seats. The new TT roadster is unbelievably nice IMO but too far out of my price range.

Stinkles

If you care about interior quality, the new Mercedes C300 4MATIC will provide you with the best in it's class. It's pretty much a smaller S550.

Going to say something contradictory - I ONLY care about the inside. Comfortable, quiet, well-appointed and great for long distances. AWD is essential for mountain and ski trips as well as resale, and I like the way they drive. However the new style A3 leaves me cold. It looks stubby and ungainly relative to the A4. And obviously it's smaller.

Oxn

Hmm didn't think of the 370Z roadster, will definitely research that. I think they go for about the same price as a well equipped A3/228 vert, so it's a matter of more muscular motor vs luxury 4 seater. However I must say I'm quite liking the new Miata if I go 2 seats. The new TT roadster is unbelievably nice IMO but too far out of my price range.

Frankly if im going with a convertible i would prefer power over luxury

You mean like this?

http://www.zetaproducts.net/images/products/detail/frs.arm.1.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.zetaproducts.net/images/products/detail/MM06.main.jpg"]I've got one in my Miata[/URL] and it's one of the best mods I've ever done lol. The price is fncking ridiculous though, it cost me $50 for mine and it's $70 for y'all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah pretty much. Just odd that Toyota or Subaru can't make something like that as an option.

Anion

I have to agree with this, the C300 has pretty interior for its class. I like how MB scaled it up this generation. The full panomeric roof option will make quite a looker from the inside.
I really dislike the "i got an ipad taped to my dash" thing that's been going with interiors lately.
I'm going to say I was put off at first, but the screen placement is honestly perfect. It's high enough to look to the side and still see the road. And the unit doesn't block the view surprisingly.

matmanx1

2015-mercedes-benz-c300-4matic-photo-637713-s-986x603.jpg

2015-mercedes-benz-c300-4matic-interior-photo-637738-s-986x603.jpg

This would most likely be my pick. I think the new C300's are fantastic looking and the interior is ace. I saw one while I was out shopping earlier and it is a great looking car.

matmanx1

Moved a few days ago and have been seeing quite a few Z06s.

Man

Look tough in person. So good.

I saw a yellow with black accents yesterday while I was out. Best looking color combination I have seen yet. I'm not a huge fan of the overall design, especially the rear, but the yellow and black screamed SPORTSCAR and was impossible to ignore. This is a good thing.

Evo X

I saw a yellow with black accents yesterday while I was out. Best looking color combination I have seen yet. I'm not a huge fan of the overall design, especially the rear, but the yellow and black screamed SPORTSCAR and was impossible to ignore. This is a good thing.

Saw the same color scheme Vette on Friday and I agree. Pretty unique look.

It blasted past me following a dark metallic grey Ferrari FF. Not sure if they knew each other, but they both sounded sick.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm trying to decide between getting a testpipe vs high flow cat. i understand i'd get a decent amount more power with a testpipe, but also with more noise (small concern) and smell (large concern.

i live in an area that i dont have to worry about passing emissions unless i sell the car. is the smell with a testpipe that bad? i live in a rural town with zero stop lights, is the smell with a testpipe that bad? cops arent much of a worry up here, but if i were to get pulled over, would the smell be obvious?

i've never had much exposure to cars running without a cat, so the more input i can collect from others experiences the more likely i am to make an informed decision. i'm currently heavily leaning towards the high flow cat (mil.spec 100 cel).

Evo X

i'm trying to decide between getting a testpipe vs high flow cat. i understand i'd get a decent amount more power with a testpipe, but also with more noise (small concern) and smell (large concern.

i live in an area that i dont have to worry about passing emissions unless i sell the car. is the smell with a testpipe that bad? i live in a rural town with zero stop lights, is the smell with a testpipe that bad? cops arent much of a worry up here, but if i were to get pulled over, would the smell be obvious?

i've never had much exposure to cars running without a cat, so the more input i can collect from others experiences the more likely i am to make an informed decision. i'm currently heavily leaning towards the high flow cat (mil.spec 100 cel).

Smell is bad and obvious. I had test pipes on both my Evos and would never get another. It wasn't much of a problem on my 9 because that was mostly relegated to tracking, but wish I hadn't gotten it on my 10. It's fine once you're moving, but the smell hits you like a freight train when you're stopped anywhere.

The extra power isn't worth it, especially if you plan to daily the car and have family/friends that ride with you regularly.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Smell is bad and obvious. I had test pipes on both my Evos and would never get another. It wasn't much of a problem on my 9 because that was mostly relegated to tracking, but wish I hadn't gotten it on my 10. It's fine once you're moving, but the smell hits you like a freight train when you're stopped anywhere.

The extra power isn't worth it, especially if you plan to daily the car and have family/friends that ride with you regularly.

thank you. from what i've read, i should be fine with a 100 cel cat as far as smell and noise goes (for the most part)

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ah, the joys of trying to pinpoint a rattle coming from the inside of your car that happens randomly and only when no one else is around

Evo X

Its only smells...

Not an issue if you buy some Ebay fuel fruity smelly bottles. On my old NA Miata I bought some Root Beer and it was dangerously addictive.

What's the point of running a test pipe on a Miata?

At least with turbo motors, the higher flow gives a slight power bump, but can't imagine it does much on a small N/A motor.

Jackson

I'd take the Miata too. A lightweight sporty drop top would make a good companion to the Cayman GTS.

Really want to go test drive one. Wonder when they will be common enough in show rooms to do so.

Test drove the ND a few days ago.
QBjAh42.jpg

Pros
-----
+ Awesome steering feel.
+ Convertibles are fun in the sun.
With the top down it wasn't hard to talk to the passenger at highway speeds.
+ Best looking Miata for sure. Sure it's a bit try hard in the manly department, but in person it works. (I'm not a Miata purist, so others may hate the new look).
+ Grand Touring model (the one I tested) has a nice interior for a a $30k Japanese car. Way better than say a WRX or BRZ.
+ The car feels more exciting in the turns at low speed due to the almost comical body roll.
+ Track days would be very economical. Save on gas, brakes, tires easily.

Cons
-------
- It's slow.
- It's really slow.
- Like the BRZ felt like it could use a turbo, whereas this feels like it could use a heartbeat.
- It's cramped. I'm 6'0 and I felt like with the top down I'd be smoshed, forget wearing a helmet with top down.
- It's impractical for anything other than a weekend car. No trunk space. You want the top down so no bad weather driving.
- Not many extra features (infotainment, etc.)
- Sure the body roll makes the 40 MPH turn you made feel more exciting, but also feels kind of concerning. A car all about handling shouldn't be so spongey in the turns. I'm projecting (since I didn't test it on the track), but a real high speed turn might freak you out on a track day.

Verdict
----
I'd buy it. It's a ton of fun. It's a joy to drive. It feels like a baby Cayman/Boxster for half the price. Would I buy it over a used Boxster? Honestly It depends on what you're looking for. Want more luxury and more acceleration? Get the Boxster.

It's way too similar a car to my Cayman GTS to purchase as an additional car for me though (not that I'm looking anyway). The Cayman does everything the Miata does, but way better (for triple the price obviously).

Bottom line. Great car even if it's slow as lava. Probably better that way for ticket avoidance and track days though!

Xdye7

i'm trying to decide between getting a testpipe vs high flow cat.

get a high flow dog

Evo X pretty much said it. The power difference isn't all that significant between a test pipe and good HFC especially at typical bolt-on power levels. Also one isn't necessarily always louder than the other, it depends more on the design and material used, as well as the rest of the exhaust setup.

I believe you've mentioned earlier that occasionally your kids are in the car with you as well? I'd go with a quality 200 cell cat based on that alone. ETS makes a nice one. I don't understand the point of 100 cell cats, IMO you might as well just run a test pipe lol. They do nothing for emissions and simply don't convert the gases well enough, which again IMO should be the main appeal since you'll be the one breathing them in the most.

Top Bottom