• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Mistel

Banned
Fox body Mustangs are great. I had an early 90's LX 5.0 coupe that I still consider to be one of the best cars that I have ever owned. With the mod community and plethora of parts and support you would be in good company.
All three of the ones will all had 302's at some point in their life if not the entirety for II and Fox bodies. Lots of part support for all of them.

AetherZX

Well, that deal concerning the 300ZX fell through. Went to look at it in person and let's just say it's not what it appeared in those (old) photos. Wasted my time and gas going to his location to check out a car that needed a decent amount of bodywork to be remotely presentable. Destroyed seats, broken fog lights in the floor, rust deposits about and on the rear hatch, radiator issue, list goes on and on. Basically a project car purchase. I was more surprised to see it start up and idle relatively smoothly though...

That'll be a lesson to me in not sounding the red alarm when multiple demands of pictures of the car's interior and rear were not met.

My hunt continues. :(

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...fted-ferrari-in-order-to-upgrade-to-new-model

I would like to slap the crap out of this 20 yr old kid. He has 14 other cars and decides to do this because a regular 458 isn't good enough.

WTH?

Wow...

Well, that deal concerning the 300ZX fell through. Went to look at it in person and let's just say it's not what it appeared in those (old) photos. Wasted my time and gas going to his location to check out a car that needed a decent amount of bodywork to be remotely presentable. Destroyed seats, broken fog lights in the floor, rust deposits about and on the rear hatch, radiator issue, list goes on and on. Basically a project car purchase. I was more surprised to see it start up and idle relatively smoothly though...

That'll be a lesson to me in not sounding the red alarm when multiple demands of pictures of the car's interior and rear were not met.

One time I drove a 16 hour round trip to look at a car that turned out to be crap. A/C didn't even work when he had assured me that it did. I even requested a bunch of pictures and that didn't help. You'll feel the complete opposite once you finally find the right one. Good luck!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...fted-ferrari-in-order-to-upgrade-to-new-model

I would like to slap the crap out of this 20 yr old kid. He has 14 other cars and decides to do this because a regular 458 isn't good enough.

WTH?

Lol and that is why I'll never spoil my future kid of any expensive bullshit. If he wants a Miata, he's not getting mine... either he buys it for himself or I'll buy one that's falling apart and we'll both fix it up.

If he doesn't like any of those choices, then tough shit... I'll gladly give him my Trek FX for free haha.

One of the reasons why I hate private buying... a lot of people with interesting cars are unscrupulous and you encounter this stuff. That's not to say dealerships are any better though.

Look on the bright side, at least now you won't have to deal with a automatic 300ZX lol.

One time I drove a 16 hour round trip to look at a car that turned out to be crap. A/C didn't even work when he had assured me that it did. I even requested a bunch of pictures and that didn't help. You'll feel the complete opposite once you finally find the right one. Good luck!

Stuff like that is the worst. I once drove 7 hours out to L.A. to pick up a corolla, only to get there and the dude doesn't have a title, only a bill of sale. I ended up buying it and going through the annoying process of getting a title for an out of state car. Never again.

So I'm doing my monthly AutoTrader check coz I was bored as fnck in the john earlier and this caught me off guard:

2013 Scion FR-S for $15,000

Granted this is the lowest FR-S I've seen on the listings, but for a 3 year old car the amount of depreciation is shocking. A lot of the lower mileage examples are still under $20K too so this actually seems like a good value if you're wanting a sports car and don't mind the lack of an armrest and the torque dip lol.

Nothing else interesting around me though. A few G37 coupes are starting to go under $20K, a couple of Boxsters, 3-series'... that's about it really. I was hoping to find something that will interest me at the very least so I can spend my birthday weekend looking at cars, but nah lol.

Enron

Banned
So I'm doing my monthly AutoTrader check coz I was bored as fnck in the john earlier and this caught me off guard:

Granted this is the lowest FR-S I've seen on the listings, but for a 3 year old car the amount of depreciation is shocking. A lot of the lower mileage examples are still under $20K too so this actually seems like a good value if you're wanting a sports car and don't mind the lack of an armrest and the torque dip lol.

Nothing else interesting around me though. A few G37 coupes are starting to go under $20K, a couple of Boxsters, 3-series'... that's about it really. I was hoping to find something that will interest me at the very least so I can spend my birthday weekend looking at cars, but nah lol.

I'm in the same bucket. want to spend 25kish, but just about all the BMWs i'd want are just out of my range. Leaning towards g37 coupe, keep flipping between a coupe and a sedan. Fun to look at boxsters and z4s in the 25-30k range and dream, but boy would that be dumb.

I was actually looking at boxsters recently. I'm surprised how cheap the early cars go for. I often see good ones for sale for less that $10k.

I was actually looking at boxsters recently. I'm surprised how cheap the early cars go for. I often see good ones for sale for less that $10k.
Performance luxury car depreciated below 20% original value? There's probably a reason.

The early Boxsters had plenty of issues, some without preventative fixes. I wouldn't go 2000 or older.

It's pretty tempting to snap one up on the cheap and make it a track rat, though, it would be a ton of fun.

matmanx1

My cousin has a white Lotus Exige but he just bought a Maserati GT. Lucky man.

Why yes, yes he is! Where do you guys call home? I'm pretty sure the Elise and Exige are still considered non-street legal here in the USA (which as an enthusiast is both frustrating and saddening).

Jackson

Why yes, yes he is! Where do you guys call home? I'm pretty sure the Elise and Exige are still considered non-street legal here in the USA (which as an enthusiast is both frustrating and saddening).

There's plenty of street legal Elise and Exige models. There was a time when earlier models were not street legal though.

It's absolutely a buyer's market for these cars right now. Sales are in the toilet and Toyota's constant refrain of 'no more power' plus the new Miata will cause them to slide even further. In ten years when many of them have been destroyed and unmolested examples are rare, I would expect prices to go back up.

It's absolutely a buyer's market for these cars right now. Sales are in the toilet and Toyota's constant refrain of 'no more power' plus the new Miata will cause them to slide even further. In ten years when many of them have been destroyed and unmolested examples are rare, I would expect prices to go back up.

And that car has 70000 miles in 3 years. Explains the extra depreciation.

rokkerkory

I'm in the same bucket. want to spend 25kish, but just about all the BMWs i'd want are just out of my range. Leaning towards g37 coupe, keep flipping between a coupe and a sedan. Fun to look at boxsters and z4s in the 25-30k range and dream, but boy would that be dumb.

25k will get you a very nice E46 M3 which is an awesome car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

He'll need another $10K to fix the inevitable subframe issues, though, assuming you can find a subframe. E46 M3s are great cars, but only people with deep pockets or unbreakable commitment should be buying them used.

He'll need another $10K to fix the inevitable subframe issues, though, assuming you can find a subframe. E46 M3s are great cars, but only people with deep pockets or unbreakable commitment should be buying them used.

I thought the M3 came with the reinforced subframe and it was only the normal 3 series cars that suffered.

Evo X

OMG, check out this Aston Martin GT12. $390,000 and all 100 that will be made are sold out before being shown to the public.

More pics and review here: http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/aston-martin/2dr/first-drive

3.jpg

4.jpg

Hesemonni

Banned
Take one Aston Martin, widely regarded as one of the most beautiful cars in the existance, and slap a horrible spoiler on it. Call it a day. I know the car would probably be orbiting the Earth without it, but that doesn't make it any prettier.

AlphaSnake

I thought the M3 came with the reinforced subframe and it was only the normal 3 series cars that suffered.

Absolutely not. It's the complete opposite. This is a widespread catastrophic failure on the M3. They make reinforcement kits that are aftermarket to prevent it from happening, but that's about it.

hpftrunk2-1.jpg

hpftrunk4-1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Absolutely not. It's the complete opposite. This is a widespread catastrophic failure on the M3. They make reinforcement kits that are aftermarket to prevent it from happening, but that's about it.

toxp57I.gif

This stuff is part of the reason I went with the new FR-S instead of a used Porsche, EVO, S2000, etc. I wanted something with a warranty so I didn't have to worry.

Until I void the warranty, that is...

AlphaSnake

Holllly shit, how common was the subframe issue?

Common enough you wouldn't want to gamble on buying one.

Friend wanted a 2002 M3 months ago. Car was private sale for $19.900. We went to see the car together, and first thing I asked was about the rear subframe. He openly admitted it's starting to go and gave us a quote from a local performance shop to repair it and reinforce it for $11K.

This was an otherwise clean Florida car with 75K miles on it.

3.0L M54 head gasket swap done! My friend bought it to fix up as a project and it ran first time, it was a great experience. This 2004 330i is now replacing his new Focus ST.

10XytWa.jpg

droPyNS.jpg

du82yok.jpg

No Love

Banned

The subframe issue can actually be solved with about $2-3k.

But yes, I can't recommend E46 M3's unless you know what you're doing.

I'd highly recommend an E39 M5 over the M3. It actually has LESS problems and is a better car to drive, IMO. I'm actually buying a 2nd one soon, haha.

Common enough you wouldn't want to gamble on buying one.

Friend wanted a 2002 M3 months ago. Car was private sale for $19.900. We went to see the car together, and first thing I asked was about the rear subframe. He openly admitted it's starting to go and gave us a quote from a local performance shop to repair it and reinforce it for $11K.

This was an otherwise clean Florida car with 75K miles on it.

Glad I steered away after entertaining the idea for a week. Didn't they also have rod bearing issues too?

No Love

Banned
3.0L M54 head gasket swap done! My friend bought it to fix up as a project and it ran first time, it was a great experience. This 2004 330i is now replacing his new Focus ST.

10XytWa.jpg

droPyNS.jpg

du82yok.jpg

M5x motors are so, so good. Basically a big Honda motor.

When I have time I'd like to throw together a turbo S52 powered car. I have a chance to buy one right now from a friend of mine but 1. It's black and 2. not sure how long I'd want to keep it or if I'd get bored. Guess I gotta drive it and find out...

11872036_683669288430341_221036031385305972_o.jpg

Should I do it, GAF? Convert it to E85, take it to 600-650 whp and daily that bitch? lol

AlphaSnake

The subframe issue can actually be solved with about $2-3k.

I've never seen that kind of quote ever. Unless you're buying the RSF from a salvaged car or happen to come across one that's been carefully cut away...maybe? And that's a huge maybe. Or if the current deterioration hasn't gone that bad. Otherwise, if it's gone neglected for too long it'll tear a hole in your wallet.

Glad I steered away after entertaining the idea for a week. Didn't they also have rod bearing issues too?

Yes, all cars up to first 28 months of production. It ended somewhere in late 2002 of produced cars. So you're safe with cars produced 2003+.

Evo X

I was coming back from grabbing some sushi yesterday when a wild GT4 appeared!

Here it is in it's natural habitat...

getting groceries. lol

C3ruR64.jpg

Momentary

Banned
Honda...I would have taken this over the NSX any day of the week. Any day.
Probably impossible to even find any of these for sale anywhere. It would probably at an impossible price range anyway. Come on lottery!

Here's a G55 GT4 for $65000.

390199.jpg

Good looking racer. GT4 sounds like an okay starting point. But it would probably be wise to go for the Junior just so I don't shit my breaches. This seems like the price to go with. Juniors look to run about $40000. The big brother GT3... I might as well hang that dream up.

grendelrt

Met up with some fellow Gaffers last weekend for a drive and some lunch. Bah321 just got his Z06 and was breaking it in. Spacebar took the pictures for us. Was a nice day, took a couple winding roads and then has some Vietnamese =)

matmanx1

OMG, check out this Aston Martin GT12. $390,000 and all 100 that will be made are sold out before being shown to the public.

More pics and review here: http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/aston-martin/2dr/first-drive

3.jpg

4.jpg

Aston's are sooooo good looking. And I highly respect the fact that you can still buy a normally aspirated, rear wheel drive V8 Vantage GT from them with a 6 speed manual and hydraulic steering. I find them to be a different sort of aspirational car and delightfully old school in their approach to car-making.

getting groceries. lol

C3ruR64.jpg

Awesome. And hilarious. If I had one I would totally drive it around town occasionally just because. I mean that's part of the fun of owning one of those, right?

jey_16

Banned
the front is good but i'm not sure if copying the s-class coupe works for the rear....it just doesn't flow as well on a shorter wheelbase

AlphaSnake

Hmm, I think I may prefer the sedan. But then again, the AMG version might look better with a lipped trunk, exhaust, and diffuser.

TylerD

10XytWa.jpg

droPyNS.jpg

du82yok.jpg

Looks fun. I REALLY wish I had a good place to work on my shit at home. My girlfriend has a garage so I might be able to use that but I haven't asked. Need to replace my valve cover gasket again after it blew out, replace DISA and I think my driver side FCAB is shot after only about 25k miles.. Is his 330i Mystic Blue like my 330ci?

Smokey

That C63 coupe is going to look stunning in person. Its a baby s coupe which imo is the best looking non exotic car on the road.

Wow that looks pretty clean, nice. I love nude engine photos.

Yeah I was surprised at how tidy it was!

Looks fun. I REALLY wish I had a good place to work on my shit at home. My girlfriend has a garage so I might be able to use that but I haven't asked. Need to replace my valve cover gasket again after it blew out, replace DISA and I think my driver side FCAB is shot after only about 25k miles.. Is his 330i Mystic Blue like my 330ci?

Nah I think it's Orient Blue? It's much darker and isn't in the best condition unfortunately. He needs to get it totally DA'd.

Do you know why your valve cover gasket keeps going? Just so I can let my friend know what he needs to watch out for.

He needs to really refresh the suspension, it's a little tired! Shouldn't be as big a job as the head though.

M5x motors are so, so good. Basically a big Honda motor.

When I have time I'd like to throw together a turbo S52 powered car. I have a chance to buy one right now from a friend of mine but 1. It's black and 2. not sure how long I'd want to keep it or if I'd get bored. Guess I gotta drive it and find out...

11872036_683669288430341_221036031385305972_o.jpg

Should I do it, GAF? Convert it to E85, take it to 600-650 whp and daily that bitch? lol

I wish my friend had plans like yours, no amount of online builds I send will tempt him!

Anion

getting groceries. lol
At least it's being used lol
Met up with some fellow Gaffers last weekend for a drive and some lunch. Bah321 just got his Z06 and was breaking it in. Spacebar took the pictures for us. Was a nice day, took a couple winding roads and then has some Vietnamese =)
Amazing cars, love the blue for the cayman though. I have a soft spot for that color
new C class coupe:
I like the new direction MB is going with their cars. Before the only "beautiful" car to me was the CLS. Now I can say I like almost all of them lol.

matmanx1

There's entry of steer legal Elise and Exige models. There was a time when earlier models were not street legal though.

So they make street legal Exige's and Elise's now for the USA? Seriously? Wow, my day just got a little bit brighter all of sudden.

Also,obligatory Exige pic:
yLNIM6D.jpg

Evo X

Nice pics! Seems like you guys had a great time.

Aston's are sooooo good looking. And I highly respect the fact that you can still buy a normally aspirated, rear wheel drive V8 Vantage GT from them with a 6 speed manual and hydraulic steering. I find them to be a different sort of aspirational car and delightfully old school in their approach to car-making.

Awesome. And hilarious. If I had one I would totally drive it around town occasionally just because. I mean that's part of the fun of owning one of those, right?

I love Aston. One of the few companies still making high powered N/A engines.

And yeah, I use my GTS for everything. It's a great daily driver, although it does attract too much attention sometimes due to the color scheme and loud exhaust. The other night, I had some douchebags in a Pontaic GrandAm blow past me, cut me off, brake check me, then throw their lit cigarettes out the windows, and flip me off.

I was driving home normally after hanging out with some friends, so I can only assume they were jealous assholes.

That C63 coupe is going to look stunning in person. Its a baby s coupe which imo is the best looking non exotic car on the road.

S-Class coupe is gorgeous. Definitely the luxury car I would buy if I was in the market. Trying to convince my uncle to trade his Range Rover in for one, so I can occasionally take it out. lol

So they make street legal Exige's and Elise's now for the USA? Seriously? Wow, my day just got a little bit brighter all of sudden.

I think he was referring to the last gen ones. New Exige still isn't out in the US.

Momentary

Banned

Also,obligatory Exige pic:
yLNIM6D.jpg

They aren't street legal in the states. But the V6 Cup can be purchased for track purposes. The only thing you can buy and drive off a lot here in the states is the Evora. Lotus says they will bring the Elise and Exige back in street legal form by 2020... or some shit like that.

Also:
If Car Commercials Were Honest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmQE4qdb9fg

Top Bottom