• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

If you're keeping the Evo, is either of your E36s an M3? Ill buy it if you ship it to me, i really need another E36 M3 in my life.

I learned to drive RWD AND stick on an S2000... Amazing experience that put me ahead of many other drivers

Rawdog life, I figured you'd approve.

One of them is an M3. I'm not sure how serious you are but this one is far from stock.

I'll give you more details if you want.

Celcius

°Temp. member
That feeling when you finally find and fix an interior rattle that's been annoying you on and off for months :)

ShowDog

Performance aside, which is the better buy:

2001 Honda S2000 with about 105k miles for $12,000 miles or an 03 Infiniti G35 with about 111k miles for $11,000?

Or are both examples too high of mileage to be even worth a look?

Asking for a friend... and no this isn't one of those "fakes" lol. I mean I wouldn't mind switching to either car in terms of performance, but real life responsibilities gotta take over, so that means bills and more bills so I'm gonna pass. The only way I'd probably go for it is if some kind of miracle happens between now and the weekend, but that's highly unlikely haha.

I daily an 06 s2k and it's a great car. I hear the earlier models are less comfortable but I drove a base Ranger for a decade, you never hear people talk shit about those like you do sports cars but the suspension on that think was brutal in comparison.

Stock the power is a bit anemic until you rev it into asshole territory... If he's self conscious about looking, sounding or behaving like an asshat he should probably stay away from the s2000.

That's a pretty good deal too.

He just came back from a quick test drive... Nope lolol.

Suspension is too stiff and he's not used to the "extreme rotational force", coming from a Jeep of course, that he thinks he could spin it easily and end up in a ditch.

Now I wanna check it out myself since I'm gonna be in the area lol.

Jackson

Suspension is too stiff and he's not used to the "extreme rotational force", coming from a Jeep of course, that he thinks he could spin it easily and end up in a ditch.

Coming from a car with suspension made out of sponge cake I can understand his concerns.

Aight guys so my girl was driving my g37 the other day and she hit a pot hole or something now its pulling to the right. I went an did an alignment my front camber and caster are off and they couldnt adjust it. Would buying adjustable one fix my issue its just that side?

So that article on Jalopnik about the XJ220 today was pretty interesting. Challenging some of the generally held assumptions that the car wasn't successful because all of the people that preordered the car were disgusted when it changed from V12 to V6. While that might have been the case for some, apparently the timing just fucked Jag over as the supercar speculation market just tanked right in between announcement and release.

FStop7

Banned
So that article on Jalopnik about the XJ220 today was pretty interesting. Challenging some of the generally held assumptions that the car wasn't successful because all of the people that preordered the car were disgusted when it changed from V12 to V6. While that might have been the case for some, apparently the timing just fucked Jag over as the supercar speculation market just tanked right in between announcement and release.

It's a pretty amazing car to see in person. I've only ever seen one.

GHG

Gold Member
Can someone please explain to me what the fuck happens in this video at the 30 second mark to cause the accident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luFgV4nuSxc

Wtf. What country is this in?

And why the fuck didn't the driver who was filming this back off the moment she started driving erratically and start drifting out of her lane?

He needed to back right off or get the fuck round her as quickly as possible.

But yeh, I thought the roads here in Dubai were nuts but I've never seen anything like that before.

http://youtu.be/0-0J9TwZeMc

GHG

Gold Member

Omg the 1st comment on on that article.

tumblr_nu0nie4XaU1t4b7szo1_500.gif

Enron

Banned
S2000. By far. The g35 is a POS. Horrible interior and build quality. S2000s was a much higher wuality car. Not to mention its easily one of the all time greatest sports cars EVER.

Fuck I wish I could find a clean S2000 for $12k. Where is this? Is it riced out?

I disagree that the g35 is a POS, the car is rock solid excpet for...the shitty interior which was dated when the car was new, but everything else about it is nice. I have an 04 sedan and its run like a champ.

No Love

Banned
I disagree that the g35 is a POS, the car is rock solid excpet for...the shitty interior which was dated when the car was new, but everything else about it is nice. I have an 04 sedan and its run like a champ.

I'm so sorry. That rear end...

They are just awful in my book. When you compare them to an E46 330i or 3G Acura TL, you can tell which cars have held up. And it's not the G35. The G37 was such a massive improvement.

GHG

Gold Member
I saw a Ford GT40 in the flesh for the 1st time the other day. The sound it made was incredible. Pretty special moment, don't think I'm likely to ever see one again.

Enron

Banned
I'm so sorry. That rear end...

They are just awful in my book. When you compare them to an E46 330i or 3G Acura TL, you can tell which cars have held up. And it's not the G35. The G37 was such a massive improvement.

Oh, see....you are talking about looks I guess. Mechanically, the thing is great. Handles well. Fun to drive. Cheap to run.

Ah, the Fiat Punto - Italian workhouse. Not very good - I had one in 2000, and treated it as an Italian person would. It repeatedly fell apart.

Kia's are fine - not exciting, but will do a good job for you. Good dealers by all accounts, and that warranty too...

I have a friend who's been running a Mazda 2 for about 5 years, and has nothing bad to say about it at all.

Ford Fiesta and VAG group (Polo / Fabia / CityGo / Fox perhaps) are also all highly regarded. With a but more money, A1 and Mini are the high end options. But it will come down to personal preference (and funds too).

But steer clear of any Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat or Alfa...

Thanks. Audi prices are Insane ! wow. I knew they were expensive, but damn !

We looked at kia mostly because of good trustpilot rating and overall from where I've looked, it seems ? that they have good milage and that the company makes decent vehicles.

We have also Looked at a Nissan note, though I've had issues figuring out how good it is in the long run. Any advice on that one ? - Or one over the other. In general we have to use it as a family car, so I don't see a mini as an option :p
The mazda 2 and fiesta also seem to be decent cars, but I don't have a big reference point. Looking at buying a car is hard work man.

EDIT: would also consider the next level, but it's quite a price jump. (Ceed, Focus etc etc)

matmanx1

Hehe, it takes a wise man to know his own limitations (didn't Clint Eastwood say something about that?). I certainly couldn't daily one of those and I maintain that it takes a pretty special person to be able to.

she saw the soul of Cthulhu or something HOLY SHIT

LOL! I also love the way that she just nonchalantly starts to walk down the median as if nothing in the world was going on.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Aight guys so my girl was driving my g37 the other day and she hit a pot hole or something now its pulling to the right. I went an did an alignment my front camber and caster are off and they couldnt adjust it. Would buying adjustable one fix my issue its just that side?

Probably bent the strut or control arm. Have them look into that, because nothing else will fix this issue.

All I see is McDonald's. Is the boss really that much of a clown?

That's fncking brutal lol.

Also sad to say, that S2K has been sold as of this morning. I got out of my thing at 11am, gave the dealer a call and they said it was sold 15 mins before I called. :(

They've got another one on the lot, but 4 previous owners and CarFax says there's accident damage so I'm passing on that one.

Anyway, I was talking to my friend about it last night and he liked it actually. The interior while small, fit him perfectly, and he had a lot of good things to say about it, but once he started driving it and took a turn he apparently felt that the car could just easily go loose. I told him beforehand to NEVER let go off the gas mid-corner coz that's when snap oversteer happens and he stuck through that but he thought that he couldn't just daily drive something crazy like that.

I wanted to call him a pansy but even I'll admit daily driving an AP1 is a daunting task. It's not crazy as the Viper where the Grim Reaper is your co-driver, but it's pretty fncking close if you ask me.

On the other hand, that might've scared him off from RWD for his entire life lol. He's now looking for an AWD or FWD instead. -____-

No Love

Banned
Wouldn't it be like, pasta-ed out, or something?

Lots of ricers like the "black wrapped hood/roof/trunk" look nowadays... even though it completely throws off the lines of the car and looks like patchwork stupidity.

It's one thing if all of those are carbon fiber or something, it's another to do that goofy look. Can't wait til it fades out of popularity.

Edit: Lol, pasta'd out. Ricer is now a catch-all for "stupid, illogical dumb shit people do to cars."

TCRS

Banned
Drove an electric car yesterday for the first time. The VW up is already a fun little car to drive with it's direct steering but put an electric motor in it and it becomes bonkers with dat instant torque. haven't had that much fun in a long time, I grinned from ear to ear. :D my colleague in his VW Golf with a 150hp diesel had a hard time keeping up with me.

But the non-linear behaviour of the range together with the already limited range did get me anxious at times I have to admit. Also, top speed was limited to 130kph only.

But as a city car it's perfect - if it wasn't for the price. In Germany it starts at €26.900 for which you can get a fully equipped VW Polo.

Top Bottom