• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I really want to do the1JZ meet (festival). I've seen pictures and videos of it over the years (even articles in Drift Tengoku) and it always looks like a good time with nice cars in the pits, and on the track. Being in the same proximity as all those venders would leave me rather poor by the end of it HA!

I'll REALLY have to do it after I attend a drift matsuri weekend (that's next on my list of things to do in Japan).

Speaking of... everyone should check out this video to understand why the JZX series of cars is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRiLMK2-ftw

Evo X

Time for the Rolls Royce Wraith. Where to start?

This was unlike anything else I have experienced before. It is in a class of it's own when it comes to luxury and comfort. A 7 Series or S Class Benz is lolworthy by comparison. Every inch of the interior is covered in the highest grade leather, wood, and aluminum. The sheepskin and lambswool rugs are so nice and soft, you kind of feel bad wearing shoes. Everything you do has a gentle quality to it. The steering is easy and progressive. It is purposely designed to filter out noise, but you don't have any problem placing it exactly where you need to. It does take some adjustment as first as it is a massive car, but for the most part people stay clear of you when they see it coming. Rolls Royce cars are very rare around here. I don't think I've seen more than a handful driving around and I live in a very nice north shore Chicago suburb. You see more in the city, but even then far less than other exotic marques. The styling definitely stands out. It exudes class much like an Aston Martin. The Brits seem to be experts at that sort of thing.

There is no "Sport" mode in this car, or even paddle shifters for that matter. The transmission and suspension are very advanced. They are tied to the GPS. The car knows what kind of road and terrain you are on and will preemptively adjust both of those things appropriately. It doesn't feel like you are driving a car, more like wafting along on a cloud. You are incredibly insulated from the noises outside. World War 3 could be happening and you'd be blissfully unaware. Stepping out of that and into nearly any other car makes you aware just how loud wind, noise, traffic and such are.

It was also the most secure feeling car I've ever driven, like being in a bulletproof tank. Panels so solid that the whole thing seems like it's carved out of a single piece of Adamantium. Handling once again very surprising given the weight. I went through a bumpy winding road at a consistent 70mph and it handled it without a fuss. Of course, you aren't going to be throwing around a track, but it remained composed at all times. Just goes to show how much of an impact quality chassis and suspension damping makes. Little body roll and immense grip. Unlike most 2+2 cars, this is a true 4 seater grand tourer. A 6ft man could very comfortably sit in the rear with room to spare.

Power is always there when you want it. A 6.6L twin turbo V12 makes sure of that. It sort of has a reverse tach in the HUD, which shows "Power Reserve" that counts down from 100 to 0. Most of the time I didn't need to go below 80%. Got it to 0% on the highway and it accelerated like a frieght train. Not crazy like the McLaren, but smooth and powerful nonetheless. Full throttle is also the only time this car makes noise, a nice reserved howl coming out of the exhaust.

This car is all about the craftsmanship and detail. I could go on forever about how exquisite the handmade components are. There is just nothing else like it in the world. If you want the best, you get a Rolls Royce. It's as much of a status symbol as anything. Driving one of these is letting everyone know you've made it. But if you're thinking of buying one, you better have an accompanying multi million dollar mansion to go with it.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I might be able to get my hands on one of the two Bentley GT3-R press cars that are currently touring the country. I'll be sure to do a write up on that and see how it compares to the already excellent GT V8S.

Also, if anyone has specific questions regarding any of the cars I've driven and will drive in the future, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Zapages

Hey Everyone,

A dealer is selling a full loaded Nissan Altima 2.5 SL with Navigation and all for about 14.2K? They have offered to reduce the price a bit. The only exception is blindspot camera is not there nor warning thing. But everything else is fully loaded like leather seats and navigation is there.

Also the car's CVT transmission was replaced around 31.5K on the car. The dealer is offering a free 100K or 2 year powertrain warranty for free with the car as it is the dealer's policy to provide it. The dealer is high end car dealership that somehow got this car and trying to get rid of it as it does not match their company's image. The car was a trade in.

Should we go for the car or these Nissan are a bit to weary about.

Also the car's engine seems to be a bit loud... Is that normal with Nissan Altima 2013 2.5SLs?

Thank you in advance. :)

Also the car's CVT transmission was replaced around 31.5K on the car. The dealer is offering a free 100K or 2 year powertrain warranty for free with the car as it is the dealer's policy to provide it. The dealer is high end car dealership that somehow got this car and trying to get rid of it as it does not match their company's image. The car was a trade in.

You already answered your question right here.

No car should ever need a tranny replacement at 31.5k miles.

And no dealer doesn't want a car simply because it "doesn't fit their image," that's a bullshit excuse tbh because they could sell the car to an auction/another dealer if they really wanted to get rid of it that quick.

Bottom line is, stay away from it.

Edit:

I actually like the SFR.

Fight me.

Bandit1

1466482791086753095.jpg

1466482791329764423.jpg

McLaren unveils limited edition 650S Can-Am

Only 50 will be made. Evo X, we will be looking to you for hands on impressions. :p

ameratsu

So i finished changing the timing belt and water pump on my integra last night. Holy shit it feels good to have done this myself without any problems. All in all it me wish I had a garage. Major mechanical work outside is way more work than it needs to be.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey Everyone,

A dealer is selling a full loaded Nissan Altima 2.5 SL with Navigation and all for about 14.2K? They have offered to reduce the price a bit. The only exception is blindspot camera is not there nor warning thing. But everything else is fully loaded like leather seats and navigation is there.

Also the car's engine seems to be a bit loud... Is that normal with Nissan Altima 2013 2.5SLs?

Lol wait, not THAT Zapages? Anyway yeah that car has been thrashed by an evil and stupid person.

Zapages

You already answered your question right here.

No car should ever need a tranny replacement at 31.5k miles.

And no dealer doesn't want a car simply because it "doesn't fit their image," that's a bullshit excuse tbh because they could sell the car to an auction/another dealer if they really wanted to get rid of it that quick.

Bottom line is, stay away from it.

Edit:

I actually like the SFR.

Fight me.
Lol wait, not THAT Zapages? Anyway yeah that car has been thrashed by an evil and stupid person.

Thank you for the advice guys. I think I will pass on the car. Thank you everyone here. :)

GHG

Gold Member
[/b]

Lmao. God tier trolling by Porsche. Make the car everyone has been clamoring for, but don't let anyone buy it.

Well the good news is that a lot of the 918 owners won't even actually want or need one of these so quite a few will appear on the used car market before too long.

For double the price

matmanx1

BMW going hard on the fringe benefits with the new 7. It's a shame the car is hideous compared to the S Class because it comes with a lot of nice stuff. But it has like zero cachet.

Included with every 7:

Well, they are trying to compete with the very sweet S-Class

That's some cool stuff...but also says "we are really falling behind on the S-Class. Please buy this"

Alpha beat me and said it better!

Hey Everyone,

Yeah, Altima engines have always been a bit course sounding. It's gotten a lot nicer over the years but the Altima still has some economy car roots from back when it was just a fuel effecient, reliable front wheel drive japanese car that could transport a family on a budget.

Overall Nissan's are reliable cars. My wife has a 2006 Altima that is still going strong and we've had to do very little to it (of course she's only got 67k miles on it, but still).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ordered an aem wideband failsafe. Anyone have experiencing installing guages? Curious about the wiring difficulty to the bung in the exhaust and to the turbo. Utter newb here, is this something I should attempt with an install guide found online? Or leave it to my mechanic/tuner to do?

I suppose since programing is involved for the failsafe portion, I'd be best off letting my tuner handle it all?

No Love

Banned
Ordered an aem wideband failsafe. Anyone have experiencing installing guages? Curious about the wiring difficulty to the bung in the exhaust and to the turbo. Utter newb here, is this something I should attempt with an install guide found online? Or leave it to my mechanic/tuner to do?

I suppose since programing is involved for the failsafe portion, I'd be best off letting my tuner handle it all?

It's really easy, all you do is drop the wire down through the floor usually (pull up your carpet on the passenger side), then drop it down and hook it into the exhaust bung.

With a guide you can do it in 20-30 mins.

Bandit1

Oh great now I have to grind this pos for a month in Gran Turismo 7 because the Capuccino was considered too powerful and masculine.

Ftfy

Funnily enough Gran Turismo was one of the first things I thought of when I read the article. I'd be happy to buy one in Gran Turismo but in real life it's just not for me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It's really easy, all you do is drop the wire down through the floor usually (pull up your carpet on the passenger side), then drop it down and hook it into the exhaust bung.

With a guide you can do it in 20-30 mins.

Cool. The guide sounded like it was a bigger job, but if I remember correvtly, they had the exhaust bung on the downpipe. The turbo wiring easy too?

lem0n

Drove my attainable dream car today. ND Clubsport! It had 7 miles. Helps to know people at the dealer haha.

HQ6nBXH.jpg

Was at Lime Rock yesterday. Had a lot of fun but wish I had more time on track. The 20 minute sessions seem like 5 minutes.

Winners of the day were the Cayman race cars. Always the fastest cars there.
I think I can have one built for under $100k so thats something I may do as my next car.

Losers of the day were an Audi S4 which had its clutch go along with this new Z06 which spent most of the day in the pits and when it was out it looked like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW8P3QOgZyU

Hopefully next year I can go to more events and perhaps visit Watkins Glen, Palmer, and NJMP.

21472512954_289fbc366e_c.jpg

If it actually comes to the US, and its that cheap, I might buy one myself.

Same. I'd sell my Miata for a daily then grab one as a weekend car.

Or keep the Miata and get a daily lol.

Losers of the day were an Audi S4 which had its clutch go along with this new Z06 which spent most of the day in the pits and when it was out it looked like this:

That has to be a rookie driver... right??

I know the Z06's have been running into mechanical issues but it seems like every Z06's captured on video run into the issue. Maybe it's just camera shy? Lol.

Bandit1

Was at Lime Rock yesterday. Had a lot of fun but wish I had more time on track. The 20 minute sessions seem like 5 minutes.

Winners of the day were the Cayman race cars. Always the fastest cars there.
I think I can have one built for under $100k so thats something I may do as my next car.

Hopefully next year I can go to more events and perhaps visit Watkins Glen, Palmer, and NJMP.

21472512954_289fbc366e_c.jpg

Man I'm jelly of you guys that track your cars.. Someday. What's your car?

Also, it seems like every C7 Z06 I've ever heard of has problems. That's insane. If I was ever in the market for a late model Corvette I think I'd stick with a C6 Z06.

Anion

Well I want these so so bad but they probably will cost like 7-10K lol
HRE S2 new series
CQ7n3CKUcAALiju

Especially that red lip and titanium-ish one. Damn, I want that on my car. Might be too red for a red car but I would go for it

Same. I'd sell my Miata for a daily then grab one as a weekend car.

Or keep the Miata and get a daily lol.

That has to be a rookie driver... right??

I know the Z06's have been running into mechanical issues but it seems like every Z06's captured on video run into the issue. Maybe it's just camera shy? Lol.

I think it was a Lime Rock Drivers Club driver so I doubt he was a rookie. I'm pretty sure he went out for 1 or 2 laps and had to pit for like 4 hours.

Looks like he's out for a nice scenic cruise. LOL

Watkins Glen is a great track on Forza 6. It flows really well. I hope to go next year too.

It definitely was an absolutely beautiful day so being able to enjoy my car in that environment was awesome.

Man I'm jelly of you guys that track your cars.. Someday. What's your car?

Also, it seems like every C7 Z06 I've ever heard of has problems. That's insane. If I was ever in the market for a late model Corvette I think I'd stick with a C6 Z06.

I have a M3. If I wasn't going to track it, I never would have bought it. Probably would have bought a Prius as a daily if I wasn't going to track the M3. Prius and a Miata maybe.

THE:MILKMAN

That new Scion/Toyota SFR is...ugly. The roofline is crazy high, imo. It doesn't look right.

Yeah they have to do something about that grille but otherwise I think it is fine. someone did the car in other colours and I like it in red:

22046644986_766188643d_c.jpg

Size wise it is 8 inch shorter than a 924 but otherwise near identical and 100KG lighter. The car mags here are suggesting £13k and if that happened I'd get one.

Problem is they also said £18k for the GT86 and that ended up £25k+.

Ettie

Yeah they have to do something about that grille but otherwise I think it is fine. someone did the car in other colours and I like it in red:

Size wise it is 8 inch shorter than a 924 but otherwise near identical and 100KG lighter. The car mags here are suggesting £13k and if that happened I'd get one.

Problem is they also said £18k for the GT86 and that ended up £25k+.

Showed the wife: "Front looks like Birdo."

Regardless, if it means competition in the segment, bring it on.

rokkerkory

Some more on track pics from Thunderhill... first time on this track and first time tracking in years. Did a decent job... the tires were omg amazing (ADO8Rs) as they held up well.

12113412_10153605388778758_5681598854013341053_o.jpg

10471203_10153605388768758_9100105489122743772_o.jpg

12079977_10153605388783758_5257988655680513141_o.jpg

12091330_10153605388873758_2704302648105242832_o.jpg

12120192_10153605388883758_3561147882409510912_o.jpg

11224658_10153605388878758_5073581930600111188_o.jpg

Evo X

Awesome pics Kory!

Looks like you had a blast.

I went out driving tonight with some friends on local twisties and had a great time. Ariel Atom was leading, with me right behind. Really happy with my cars performance. That Atom could not shake me through the curves no matter how hard he tried. I could actually feel the torque vectoring differential pull me tighter into the corner the harder I pushed.

Another friend behind me in his BRZ recorded a video of me using launch control, and it was awesome. Engine rockets up to 6500RPMs, then drops the clutch and takes off towards the horizon. Exhaust was echoing loud as hell through the woods.

We already lost the Evo, now it looks like the STI is gonna die too.

WRX/STI are enjoying their best sales figures ever, and some people won't go American no matter how much power it has. STI isn't going anywhere, at least for several more years.

(I do wish they'd finally kill the EJ, though)

Top Bottom