• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ApharmdX

Banned

Nice. I think I'm going to hold off on buying an Evo X or STI this year, and wait for the RS. It's got the right amount of stock power and torque. I can deal with the terrible looks for what should be very good performance.

edit:
All that boost is served up surprisingly down low for a car with 23.2 pounds per square inch of it, according to Ford, with peak torque coming smack in the middle at just 3,200 RPM.

Aww yeah.

We already lost the Evo, now it looks like the STI is gonna die too.

Very unlikely. The STI/WRX are selling very well, and there are a lot of die-hard Subaru owners. Also, Subaru still has the new engine card in the STI, might see more power in the next version.

Jackson

Another friend behind me in his BRZ recorded a video of me using launch control, and it was awesome. Engine rockets up to 6500RPMs, then drops the clutch and takes off towards the horizon. Exhaust was echoing loud as hell through the woods.

Wait you got PDK? Oh man. You're missing out on one of the best manual gearboxes ever. :(

I looked around and couldn't find anything concrete. But Ford has stated the RS will be "Limited Production"

Why even fucking bother? This is Ferrari tier dumbass snobbery. Ford has been really disappointing with these practices.

Lol jk.

Speaking of the WRX/STI...

How are they still keeping up the value on these things?

I'm actually interested in getting one as a daily driver. My plan was to trade in the Miata and get a WRX/STI for under $20k, then 2-3 years later I'll go back to a Miata for a weekend car. But even the WRX's are fnckin' expensive so I highly doubt I'll be able to pull this off.

I'm waiting for the SFR official specs and that Mazda concept to be shown before I do this though. I don't really need to swap cars but I'm starting to want something more comfortable as a daily driver.

I think I'm getting old. :(

ApharmdX

Banned
Subaru's hold their value. I see used WRX's and STI's going for almost-new prices, even for the sedans. I mean with the 5-door it's understandable, but the old sedans, really?

Subaru's hold their value. I see used WRX's and STI's going for almost-new prices, even for the sedans. I mean with the 5-door it's understandable, but the old sedans, really?

Yep: Here's an 08 WRX with 135k miles going for $11.5K.

Everything else that's "cheap and desirable" is under a private sale, and all the "cheap" ones are above 100k mileage. No chance in hell I'm buying a turbo with 100k+ mileage... even if it's bulletproof and completely stock.

The best examples I've found are $25K and at that price I might as well get what I really want... which is an EVO X.

Evo X

WRX/STI are enjoying their best sales figures ever, and some people won't go American no matter how much power it has. STI isn't going anywhere, at least for several more years.

(I do wish they'd finally kill the EJ, though)

Very unlikely. The STI/WRX are selling very well, and there are a lot of die-hard Subaru owners. Also, Subaru still has the new engine card in the STI, might see more power in the next version.

I was making a joke because the RS is going to stomp the current STI with specs like those.

Wait you got PDK? Oh man. You're missing out on one of the best manual gearboxes ever. :(

After driving nothing but manuals for 10 years, I think I'll live.

PDK is god tier.

So the Concours De Elegance in my old neighborhood (Manhasset NY) happened yesterday. And normally it's 99% the same shit. Except for 2 standouts which you'll see in the first 1 min of this video and I won't spoil it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNE6FfUqFVs&feature=youtu.be

Spoiler
Ferrari P4/5 and #2 of 3 Lambo Veneno

Holy Shit, now THAT'S a car meet! Never seen either of those cars in person.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
That Veneno really does look like a hot wheels toy. I feel like only Kanye West could drive that car--anyone else would look ridiculous in it.

I was making a joke because the RS is going to stomp the current STI with specs like those.

After driving nothing but manuals for 10 years, I think I'll live.

PDK is god tier.

Holy Shit, now THAT'S a car meet! Never seen either of those cars in person.

Yeah, the owner of Lamborghini of Long Island is actually the owner of that car. It's NEVER driven. It sits inside the dealership's enclosed museum. He had it trailer'd and then drove it a few blocks in. The Ferrari I think actually drove the whole way since it's plated and registered. :O

Jackson

Yeah, the owner of Lamborghini of Long Island is actually the owner of that car. It's NEVER driven. It sits inside the dealership's enclosed museum. He had it trailer'd and then drove it a few blocks in. The Ferrari I think actually drove the whole way since it's plated and registered. :O

That's cool! The Veneno was my favorite car in FH2, that thing could stick to ground like no ones business lol.

Too wild for me tho. Kanye car indeed.i live the P4/5's looks tho.

ApharmdX

Banned
I was making a joke because the RS is going to stomp the current STI with specs like those. .

Absolutely, yeah. Subaru has kept the STI at its current power for way too long. I hope that this is a wake-up call. Subaru needs some competition, with the Evo leaving the market this year.

Bandit1

M2 reveal tomorrow

Leaked

1472144766370008132.jpg

FStop7

Banned
Holy shit I was about to say "that S63 coupe looks so good but it's megabucks" and then I realized it's a C63 coupe. Damn. Mercedes is hitting all the right notes.

No Love

Banned
Don't care for the M2 looks personally.

Some C63 coupe pics. hnnnnnggg.
qatSEli.jpg

Sorry, gotta agree. M2 suffers from the same derp as the M235i, just on a lesser scale.

C63 Coupe looking fucking ridiculous lol.

Never thought I'd see the day where Mercedes looks better than BMW butbhere we fucking are.

Yep. From the front and rear 3/4 it looks awesome, from the side the roofline isn't shaped appropriately for the wheelbase. It looks like they took the 3's roof and chopped out about a foot and a half and never re-contoured the slope. The flow is really broken.

That C63 nails it, though.

Edit: Nah, that's not right. They didn't cut out a portion of the roof, they just made the rear glass steeper to meet the closer wheelbase. Funky. Otherwise great looking.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Question: For the past few months my car has had this dashboard rattle that comes & goes but happens often (almost every morning on the way to work). It's coming from somewhere in the dashboard on the left side of the steering wheel so hopefully it would be quick for a mechanic to fix since that's such a small area. Today I called the dealership and they said it would cost $110 + $110 per hour to fix (the car is 5 years old and not under warranty). Would you guys go to the dealership to get it fixed or go someplace else? I'm definitely not going to try taking the dashboard off myself. :(

Bandit1

Yep. From the front and rear 3/4 it looks awesome, from the side the roofline isn't shaped appropriately for the wheelbase. It looks like they took the 3's roof and chopped out about a foot and a half and never re-contoured the slope. The flow is really broken.

Edit: Nah, that's not right. They didn't cut out a portion of the roof, they just made the rear glass steeper to meet the closer wheelbase. Funky. Otherwise great looking.

Posted the side shot just for you Dave ;)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I'm not sure what you expected? It's identical to the profile of a regular 235i. It's just a little wider.

It does look great though. Much better than the fugly 1M...which is laughing at us now because they're worth ludicrous amounts of money.

No Love

Banned
I'm not sure what you expected? It's identical to the profile of a regular 235i. It's just a little wider.

It does look great though. Much better than the fugly 1M...which is laughing at us now because they're worth ludicrous amounts of money.

I see 1M's for $50-60k all the time. 1M looks better to me IMO.

Anion

My only beef with the 2 series was the rear look in person. Seems that the M2 somewhat helps, but Im going to say it still is the weak spot.
Those numbers though. Gotta see the CLA 45 vs 2 Series action

Posted the side shot just for you Dave ;)

Haha, jerk!

Yeah i should've known, but I haven't been paying much attention to BMW recently. The M3/4 motor really put me off and they've lost me.

Zyzyxxz

Not a fan of that M2. Ugh I can't stand what BMW design has become these days. Sorry but everything Audi and Mercedes has been putting out these last 2 years > anything BMW has done, except for maybe the i8.

No Love

Banned
My only beef with the 2 series was the rear look in person. Seems that the M2 somewhat helps, but Im going to say it still is the weak spot.
Those numbers though. Gotta see the CLA 45 vs 2 Series action

CLA 45? You're joking right? That thing is a piece of shit. The Neon SRT-4 of the German world.

Chromax

So the Concours De Elegance in my old neighborhood (Manhasset NY) happened yesterday. And normally it's 99% the same shit. Except for 2 standouts which you'll see in the first 1 min of this video and I won't spoil it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNE6FfUqFVs&feature=youtu.be

Spoiler
Ferrari P4/5 and #2 of 3 Lambo Veneno

Something came up and I missed the event. Didn't Bentley Long Island also drove a Bentley Bentayga over?

for 11 yr old sti?? no way

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been thinking.

Interestingly enough, Kelly Blue Book prices a similar at $18K... so I think I've found where they got the price for the car lol. Looking at other TIV calculators, they price it under $12K... and if that was the case, I'd be taking off work tomorrow to check it out haha.

Too much.

Resident sti owner here you should be looking closer to 13

Lol the cheapest WRX I've found starts at $24k. And at that price, I could get an Evo X, or hold off for another month or two and pick up an ND Miata so I'm gonna pass lol.

Come on bruh. You can get a nice Evo 8/9 for $20k and those blow away any STI.

If only I could find one. :(

I've been on the hunt for an Evo since July. The closest one I've found is an 08 GSR with 94k miles priced at $18K and as much as I love the Evo... the mileage is too high especially for that price.

Top Bottom