• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

FStop7

Banned
I dig the M2. The flared rear fenders give it a homologation car look. Widened out of necessity rather than for aesthetic reasons. More purposeful than pretty. I really hope it drives well.

The hunt for a clean NB Miata for autocross continues.

Jesus Christ, I thought I'd be tripping over them on Craiglist. So hard to find anything decent...

Jackson

I dig the M2. The flared rear fenders give it a homologation car look. Widened out of necessity rather than for aesthetic reasons. More purposeful than pretty. I really hope it drives well.

My thoughts exactly. But I think it will. Better looks than the bland, but awesome 1M.

because turbo?

love the M2 by the way....grrr, just when I have my mind set on a Cayman, why do they have to go on and do this? Those are some hot specs.

Not that it has a turbo, but the way they tuned the exhaust makes it sound unbearable. Even in person I really don't like the exhaust.

That said, I do bemoan the end of performance N/A engines.

$18K for a stock 2004 Scooby STI with 62K miles?

It sounds tempting to me but idk since its kind of an old car.

What do y'all think?

That's a bit much... I'd keep looking myself. Honestly you just need to be patient when used car shopping.

I love how these cars hold their value though. I can drive my STI for the next 3-5 years, and come out around the same for what I had originally paid.

matmanx1

I'm ok with the 2 series look. It looks tough and purposeful, much like the 1M before it. And both are certainly better than my 128i which I love from the front and rear but not so much from the side.

Interested to see how it stacks up to the competition though. BMW's seem to have gotten a little "softer" lately.

That's a bit much... I'd keep looking myself. Honestly you just need to be patient when used car shopping.

Oh yeah definitely. I'm not necessarily in a rush to buy a new one as I'm still enjoying the Miata. The only reason why I'm looking for a new car is because I'm wanting a more comfortable and spacious car, with a manual of course.

One suggestion from my Mazdaspeed3 owning brother was a CPO Focus ST. I saw the prices and it's definitely doable. I'm gonna keep looking now for whenever an Evo or a WRX at a decent price pops up, but if there's nothing that shows up at the end of November, I might actually take a good look at the FoST.

One suggestion from my Mazdaspeed3 owning brother was a CPO Focus ST. I saw the prices and it's definitely doable. I'm gonna keep looking now for whenever an Evo or a WRX at a decent price pops up, but if there's nothing that shows up at the end of November, I might actually take a good look at the FoST.

CPO STs aren't that common, and there are enough improvements to the '15s that you may just want to find a leftover new one if that's what you decide on.

As far as WRXes go, our dealer here often has bases for $1800 under sticker and others for 2k+ off. With 1.9% on top, that might be the way to go if you can get an equivalent deal in your area.

Jackson

Oh yeah definitely. I'm not necessarily in a rush to buy a new one as I'm still enjoying the Miata. The only reason why I'm looking for a new car is because I'm wanting a more comfortable and spacious car, with a manual of course.

Just remember the motto when car shopping... "_______, there is no substitute." ;)

Anion

CLA 45? You're joking right? That thing is a piece of shit. The Neon SRT-4 of the German world.
Haha what makes you say it's like the Neon lol. If your talking about the quality and problems the 2014s had, I can see why you wouldn't like it lol. But that being said the 2016 has got a power bump to 375 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque out of the 2.0L, which gives a 0-60 in 4.1 according to Mercedes. They finally make it a more AMG-ish in 2016 with the new Dynamic suspension and an updated 7 dual clutch with better optimized gear ratios for acceleration

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Uhhh...Lexus is out of their fucking minds to price this heap of shit GS-F at $85K.

That is literally CTS-V, Audi S6/S7, Jaguar XFR, and BMW M5 money...

But they claim they're not competing with anyone. What? Claim it until your blue in the face, but your shoppers won't give two shits. They'll look at it and balk. My M56S starts at $62K and has a 5.6L with 420HP/417TQ that can be tuned to nearly 500HP with less than $1000 in total costs. And it has enough torque to lasso the moon, pull it closer to the Earth and kill us all. Just like all of the above cars that this thing is priced the same as.

Just wow.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a27039/lexus-gs-f-pricing/

No Love

Banned
Uhhh...Lexus is out of their fucking minds to price this heap of shit GS-F at $85K.

That is literally CTS-V, Audi S6/S7, Jaguar XFR, and BMW M5 money...

But they claim they're not competing with anyone. What? Claim it until your blue in the face, but your shoppers won't give two shits. They'll look at it and balk. My M56S starts at $62K and has a 5.6L with 420HP/417TQ that can be tuned to nearly 500HP with less than $1000 in total costs. And it has enough torque to lasso the moon, pull it closer to the Earth and kill us all. Just like all of the above cars that this thing is priced the same as.

Just wow.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a27039/lexus-gs-f-pricing/

RC-F and GS-F powerplant is a complete joke compared to the competition. Lexus really needs to either superchadge or turbocharge those engines.

On the flip side, RC-F's and GS-F's will probably depreciate even faster than the IS-F. The sad thing is, what do they really offer over a used $30-35k IS-F?

FStop7

Banned
Lexus can't make a sports car to save their lives.

IS-F? Middling.

LFA? Decent car but insanely overpriced.

RC-F? _Everyone_ who's driven it has shit on it.

Honestly, they should stay in their lane: build safe and bland luxury cars. The regular GS and IS models are fine. Lexus service is outstanding. Leave the sports car stuff to companies that know how to do it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I absolutely love the look of the M2.

Just dropping in to share... as someone who doesn't follow BMWs at all, doesn't really care for them, and thinks they have way too many models for a typical shopper - the M2 hits a lot of high notes for me.

If it comes somewhat well-equpped at ~$52K, I'd say it would easily be my first pick in the luxury sports market. Very "pure" seeming, if that makes sense.

mkenyon

Banned

Just dropping in to share... as someone who doesn't follow BMWs at all, doesn't really care for them, and thinks they have way too many models for a typical shopper - the M2 hits a lot of high notes for me.

If it comes somewhat well-equpped at ~$52K, I'd say it would easily be my first pick in the luxury sports market. Very "pure" seeming, if that makes sense.
I feel exactly the same.

I highly doubt it will be available at $52k though. I'd imagine one package will put it above $60,000.

AlphaSnake

I feel exactly the same.

I highly doubt it will be available at $52k though. I'd imagine one package will put it above $60,000.

A well optioned E46 M3 was over $60k in 2006

This car will be close to $70k when optioned out

The leaked price has it at a base of $51,000 for the 6MT, add $2500 for DCT just like the M3/M4. There is no way it'll encroach on the M3/M4's price point, that's just suicide. And also comparing this to the E46 M3's price makes no sense. It's the 1M that's supposed to be compared here, and that cost $47K a few years ago.

There won't be too many options for the car either, apart from the standard stuff small stuff like navigation, backup camera, etc., much of which you can skip. I'd spec mine with navi and camera and call it a day.

The reason why M3/M4s can skyrocket in price is because of the carbon ceramic brakes, which are an $8000 option and generally awful and pointless for daily drives.

Evo X

^Lol, wut?

Please explain to me why carbon ceramics are "generally awful"

The new gen cc brakes have literally no drawbacks apart from price. Lower unsprung weight, less fade, longer lasting, and no brake dust. People used to complain about initial bite and feel on older cc setups, but that has also been fixed now.

The only two drawbacks of CCBs that I know of are price and cold weather use. Don't do any aggressive driving when they're still cold or you'll be in for a surprise.

And people who track don't want them due to replacement costs despite a performance advantage.

CPO STs aren't that common, and there are enough improvements to the '15s that you may just want to find a leftover new one if that's what you decide on.

As far as WRXes go, our dealer here often has bases for $1800 under sticker and others for 2k+ off. With 1.9% on top, that might be the way to go if you can get an equivalent deal in your area.

There's tons of FoST's here in DFW for some reason. A dealer 10 mins away from me has 2, granted they're not CPO's but they're going for under $21K right now and they've both got the Recaro's. For the CPO's specifically, there's 5 around here right now.

$1800 under sticker?? The new WRX's here are $2K above MSRP...

Just remember the motto when car shopping... "_______, there is no substitute." ;)

Well, you're not wrong. There really is no substitute for a Miata so I'm actually pretty hesitant in letting it go.

Funny you say that though, an 07 base model Cayman popped up on Autotrader at lunch... it's affordable but I don't have a rainy day fund yet to support the purchase so I'm probably going to pass on it.

That said, I've been thinking about this all day to the point that I barely got any work done haha. And the space isn't really an issue... the comfort and daily duties are my concerns, and I say concerns because I can deal with it.

All I'm really looking for in a car right now is something comfortable for daily driving, so I think I'm gonna fix the issue by swapping out the tires. Right now I've got low-profile summer tires so of course the ride quality isn't exactly meant for shitty roads and daily driving, so I think it's about time for me to equip some fat all-seasons with excellent ride quality.

But of course some research and patience needs to be done so we'll see.

AlphaSnake

^Lol, wut?

Please explain to me why carbon ceramics are "generally awful"

The new gen cc brakes have literally no drawbacks apart from price. Lower unsprung weight, less fade, longer lasting, and no brake dust. People used to complain about initial bite and feel on older cc setups, but that has also been fixed now.

He probably just means awful in terms of value proposition.

The only two drawbacks of CCBs that I know of are price and cold weather use. Don't do any aggressive driving when they're still cold or you'll be in for a surprise.

And people who track don't want them due to replacement costs despite a performance advantage.

Correct. They are extremely overpriced and add no value to a car's resale. Many times even hurt it, because on cars like the BMW M5, M6, M3, M4 they squeal and grind really, really bad and there is no fix for it. What is the purpose of them on a GT car? And yes, replacing them is very expensive too.

For the every day car, they're utterly pointless.

Evo X

Dat 9K RPM redline.

1687651a4b41b80dc8.jpg

Correct. They are extremely overpriced and add no value to a car's resale. Many times even hurt it, because on cars like the BMW M5, M6, M3, M4 they squeal and grind really, really bad and there is no fix for it. What is the purpose of them on a GT car? And yes, replacing them is very expensive too.

For the every day car, they're utterly pointless.

I'm not familiar with BMW CC brakes. There was no squeal or grind on the 458 or 650S I drove.

No Love

Banned
I personally always found it cheaper and more efficient overall to just get either a big brake kit (or lightened brake system) and/or swap out your steel pads for better race pads while using a nice ceramic pad for daily driving.

No Love

Banned
Haha what makes you say it's like the Neon lol. If your talking about the quality and problems the 2014s had, I can see why you wouldn't like it lol. But that being said the 2016 has got a power bump to 375 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque out of the 2.0L, which gives a 0-60 in 4.1 according to Mercedes. They finally make it a more AMG-ish in 2016 with the new Dynamic suspension and an updated 7 dual clutch with better optimized gear ratios for acceleration

It totally reminds me of the Neon, it's probably because of the 4 cyl and because that platform seems really cheap and corny, like Mercedes' junky 1/2 series wannabe. Idk why but the S3/CLA 45 just come off as cheap German junk to me. Probably because they seem like shoehorned crap made to fit into a certain market slot.

So I'm reading here about Tesla's autopilot system, which allows the vehicle to automatically drive itself along roads and in traffic, but only those roads that the driver puts it on (not fully autonomous). This was simply a software update pushed to existing Model Ss using their current suite of sensors.

What gets me on this is this: where are the other car companies on this? Are they going to be left in the dust of history as the automotive industry does a massive pivot into autonomous driving? Are they going to be left scrambling to catch up once these cars begin to dominate the streets and insurance companies decide it's not worth insuring drivers?

I'm just shocked to see only certain companies really moving in this direction, with others seemingly ignoring what is guaranteed to be the future.

matmanx1

Lexus can't make a sports car to save their lives.

IS-F? Middling.

LFA? Decent car but insanely overpriced.

RC-F? _Everyone_ who's driven it has shit on it.

Honestly, they should stay in their lane: build safe and bland luxury cars. The regular GS and IS models are fine. Lexus service is outstanding. Leave the sports car stuff to companies that know how to do it.

Having just read MT's Best Driver's Car 2015 yesterday they actually liked the RC-F quite a lot apart from the suspension. The summary seemed to indicate that the engine and transmission were great but that the suspension tuning was not up to the task.

For a solidly reliable and luxurious long term GT car the RC-F wouldn't be a bad choice, especially if you like NA motors.

But yeah, Lexus shouldn't be trying to make "real" sports cars. I do think they should continue to improve their efforts in the Gran Touring space though as they make an interesting alternative to the usual suspects.

So I'm reading here about Tesla's autopilot system, which allows the vehicle to automatically drive itself along roads and in traffic, but only those roads that the driver puts it on (not fully autonomous). This was simply a software update pushed to existing Model Ss using their current suite of sensors.

What gets me on this is this: where are the other car companies on this? Are they going to be left in the dust of history as the automotive industry does a massive pivot into autonomous driving? Are they going to be left scrambling to catch up once these cars begin to dominate the streets and insurance companies decide it's not worth insuring drivers?

I'm just shocked to see only certain companies really moving in this direction, with others seemingly ignoring what is guaranteed to be the future.

I personally think it will follow the same timeline any other tech in the car industry has. The S-Class have had a proof of concept of this for 2+ years now and are close to release. I think the MY16s have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AihC5flC-38

Then the tech will get standardised and commoditised and trickle down the usual S-Class > mid-range BMW/Audis > Lincoln/Lexus/3-Series/A3 > Ford/Chrysler/Chevy/Toyota > Honda path.

Tesla have the advantage of being able to bypass the Model Year cycle of course. And they are small enough (and their current audience receptive enough) to getting "udpates" to their car.

No Love

Banned
Having just read MT's Best Driver's Car 2015 yesterday they actually liked the RC-F quite a lot apart from the suspension. The summary seemed to indicate that the engine and transmission were great but that the suspension tuning was not up to the task.

For a solidly reliable and luxurious long term GT car the RC-F wouldn't be a bad choice, especially if you like NA motors.

But yeah, Lexus shouldn't be trying to make "real" sports cars. I do think they should continue to improve their efforts in the Gran Touring space though as they make an interesting alternative to the usual suspects.

It's strange that the suspension is off especially considering in the last half of its lifespan Lexus dialed in the IS-F suspension to the point where the MY '11+ IS-F's matched or beat E92 M3's on track.

AlphaSnake

Dat 9K RPM redline.

1687651a4b41b80dc8.jpg

I'm not familiar with BMW CC brakes. There was no squeal or grind on the 458 or 650S I drove.

Obviously. But why are we comparing apples to oranges? Ferrari and BMW are not on the same planet when it comes to refinement and operational quality. BMW ignores their customers when they complain about screeching brakes.

Ferrari or McLaren or Lamborghini would never allow it to happen in the first place. My entire point was about how optioning out BMW M-cars is pointless and unnecessary.

mkenyon

Banned
Question for the M3 owners/knowledgeable folk in the thread:

If I were to start looking for an E90 M3, what should I know beforehand in terms of what to look out for?

Of course, I'd try to find the lowest mileage one I can, but is there a good range to be in as far as that is concerned to avoid upcoming extremely costly maintenance? What about troublesome parts that I should ask about?

Alternatively, is there a really good E90 M3 buyer's guide someone could point me towards?

*edit*

This one has caught my eye

AlphaSnake

If I were to start looking for an E90 M3, what should I know beforehand in terms of what to look out for?

Of course, I'd try to find the lowest mileage one I can, but is there a good range to be in as far as that is concerned to avoid upcoming extremely costly maintenance? What about troublesome parts that I should ask about?

Alternatively, is there a really good E90 M3 buyer's guide someone could point me towards?

*edit*

Dont buy a pre-LCI/facelift car. So nothing less than a 2010. DCTs do fail on these cars and are extremely (!) expensive to replace. Engines have air valve issues where the throttle body starts opening and closing randomly - this requires a new idle air control unit (I forgot the exact term BMW calls it) and some other work - usually over $1000 at a dealership. Coding required.

Various little sensors fail all throughout the cars too. Unless you have money to maintain this car, don't buy it. You'll easily need to set aside $5000 for the next 3 years to keep it running. My friend had his 2011 for all of 4 months, with under 45K miles, and it gave him 3 issues he had to fix. And then he sold it.

rokkerkory

*edit*

Dont buy a pre-LCI/facelift car. So nothing less than a 2010. DCTs do fail on these cars and are extremely (!) expensive to replace. Engines have air valve issues where the throttle body starts opening and closing randomly - this requires a new idle air control unit (I forgot the exact term BMW calls it) and some other work - usually over $1000 at a dealership. Coding required.

Various little sensors fail all throughout the cars too. Unless you have money to maintain this car, don't buy it. You'll easily need to set aside $5000 for the next 3 years to keep it running. My friend had his 2011 for all of 4 months, with under 45K miles, and it gave him 3 issues he had to fix. And then he sold it.

LCI E90s start in the US on the year 2009 actually. Like any other performance car, you need to maintain it well for it to run well. That includes 3-5k mile oil changes, plugs every 25-30k or so.

The most frequent problems are idle control valve, edc module failure, and some DTC failures. Overall my experience has been rock solid but I have a manual tranny and mine is not a daily driver.

What I don't like about the car is the weight, especially for the track but then again you drive home very comfortably with all the gizmos you can want.

AlphaSnake

LCI E90s start in the US on the year 2009 actually. Like any other performance car, you need to maintain it well for it to run well. That includes 3-5k mile oil changes, plugs every 25-30k or so.

The most frequent problems are idle control valve, edc module failure, and some DTC failures. Overall my experience has been rock solid but I have a manual tranny and mine is not a daily driver.

What I don't like about the car is the weight, especially for the track but then again you drive home very comfortably with all the gizmos you can want.

Yeah LCI for the sedans was 2009 with new taillights. You're right. The interior update to the new MMI console was 2010 though, right? And that's also when some of the reliability issues should have been improved.

Bandit1

Well as some of you may know or can tell from my avatar and username, I'm pretty big on American muscle. I deal with the second generation Firebirds and Trans Ams quite a bit, but I'm not prejudice and I like all sorts of cars, I just don't have enough money to buy everything I like lol.

Anyway, I've just acquired a couple of rough projects from the early 70s, that weren't made in America... I'm just posting this as a tease for now and make you all wonder ;)
Don't set your hopes up too high though! They're a little rusty and weren't particularly fast.. I may be able to get a picture tomorrow.

Well as some of you may know or can tell from my avatar and username, I'm pretty big on American muscle. I deal with the second generation Firebirds and Trans Ams quite a bit, but I'm not prejudice and I like all sorts of cars, I just don't have enough money to buy everything I like lol.

Anyway, I've just acquired a couple of rough projects from the early 70s, that weren't made in America... I'm just posting this as a tease for now and make you all wonder ;)
Don't set your hopes up too high though! They're a little rusty and weren't particularly fast.. I may be able to get a picture tomorrow.

Can you answer one question: did they originally cross the Pacific or the Atlantic?

Top Bottom