• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Hmm...a Datsun or Nissan of some sort? Hopefully something fun like a 510 or a 240?

240 was going to be my first guess.

honda-z360-06.jpg

This is my second.

If only I could find one. :(

I've been on the hunt for an Evo since July. The closest one I've found is an 08 GSR with 94k miles priced at $18K and as much as I love the Evo... the mileage is too high especially for that price.

Ill sell you my 9 MR with 73k on it for 20k.

Question for the M3 owners/knowledgeable folk in the thread:

If I were to start looking for an E90 M3, what should I know beforehand in terms of what to look out for?

Of course, I'd try to find the lowest mileage one I can, but is there a good range to be in as far as that is concerned to avoid upcoming extremely costly maintenance? What about troublesome parts that I should ask about?

Alternatively, is there a really good E90 M3 buyer's guide someone could point me towards?

*edit*

This one has caught my eye

Rod Bearings and Throttle Body Actuators.

I just replaced the water pump in my 08, but beware BMW has an insane markup on M parts. Luckily I know the parts guy at the dealer so I get everything at cost, but just be aware that they are charging around a 300-400% markup on M parts.

Bandit1

Hmm...a Datsun or Nissan of some sort? Hopefully something fun like a 510 or a 240?

240 was going to be my first guess.

honda-z360-06.jpg

This is my second.

Good guesses on the 240s! I'd like to get my hands on one someday.

It better be a Datsun Sunny truck or I'm gonna be disappointed.

Jk of course lol.

And sorry to disappoint! But AlphaSnake's other guess was indeed correct. They are Datsun 510s

You win 10 internet points Alpha :p

No Love

Banned
Ill sell you my 9 MR with 73k on it for 20k.

Im the second owner. Its all stock besides the Perrin intake and Competition Clutch.

It better be a Datsun Sunny truck or I'm gonna be disappointed.

Jk of course lol.

!!!!

That sounds super duper tempting.

TBH you'd be a fool to pass that up, it is very hard to find clean stockish 9's with low miles for such a great price. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat if I wasn't tied up with other obligations. You can't get a better car for the money.

Also I can vouch for Yuri's cars, he's a true enthusiast.

Oh its also got an AEM wideband sensor.
Replaced the pads about 10k miles ago with Hawk HPS all around.

Clutch was done about 5k miles ago and I had the flywheel resurfaced while my mechanic was in there.

VROOOOOOOOOOOOOO fart VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fart VROOOOOOOOO

I hate what fast shifting dual clutches do to the sound of a car.

I personally think it will follow the same timeline any other tech in the car industry has. The S-Class have had a proof of concept of this for 2+ years now and are close to release. I think the MY16s have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AihC5flC-38

Then the tech will get standardised and commoditised and trickle down the usual S-Class > mid-range BMW/Audis > Lincoln/Lexus/3-Series/A3 > Ford/Chrysler/Chevy/Toyota > Honda path.

Tesla have the advantage of being able to bypass the Model Year cycle of course. And they are small enough (and their current audience receptive enough) to getting "udpates" to their car.

Good points, and it looks like Cadillac is going to be releasing something similar in 2017, so the trickle down is real. I just wonder how the manual -> autonomous revolution is going to proceed and if any automakers are going to fail as a result of not keeping up.

Fucking Hell Yuri, where were you a year and a half ago when I was looking for an EVO?

I would've killed for a clean 9 MR, but alas none to be found in my Podunk part of CA.

Fuck you guys, I'M buying the Evo!

Wired $20k into your account Yuri.

LOL.

Honestly speaking, the latest I'll be able to get out to his location is probably Thanksgiving weekend.

I think I've mentioned this before, and it's why I can actually get a car now, but I've got a new job and I just started 2 weeks ago so I'm not in any position at all to take leave to go check it out and drive it back to DFW.

Even worse is that we're starting to ramp up our workload as we prepare for launch in December/January so it's not even certain I'll be able to make it out by Thanksgiving. Christmas for sure, but anytime before that is kind of a crapshoot, though I might be able to confirm the details next week.

I actually don't mind if somebody's gonna offer something he can't refuse lol. The Evo is a dream car so I would be ecstatic if I could get my hands on one, but at the same time, if I think long term, I might be able to join a very popular car club here in Auto-GAF. So whatever way this goes, it's gonna be fncking exciting.

No Love

Banned
LOL.

Honestly speaking, the latest I'll be able to get out to his location is probably Thanksgiving weekend.

I think I've mentioned this before, and it's why I can actually get a car now, but I've got a new job and I just started 2 weeks ago so I'm not in any position at all to take leave to go check it out and drive it back to DFW.

Even worse is that we're starting to ramp up our workload as we prepare for launch in December/January so it's not even certain I'll be able to make it out by Thanksgiving. Christmas for sure, but anytime before that is kind of a crapshoot, though I might be able to confirm the details next week.

I actually don't mind if somebody's gonna offer something he can't refuse lol. The Evo is a dream car so I would be ecstatic if I could get my hands on one, but at the same time, if I think long term, I might be able to join a very popular car club here in Auto-GAF. So whatever way this goes, it's gonna be fncking exciting.

Get the Evo or we're through.

Signed,

No (more) Love

Evo X

LOL.

Where does Yuri live? Is it too far of a drive to take care of over a weekend?

As for your other point, it's no secret that I love Porsches, but you're not gonna find one that's better than the Evo for $20K.

No Love

Banned

As for your other point, it's no secret that I love Porsches, but you're not gonna find one that's better than the Evo for $20K.

Agreed. Evo is a 911 Turbo killer. Probably the greatest performance bargain of all time when modded.

And it also help that they don't depreciate, prices will start going up soon, and they're reliable as fuck.

It's OK though, you don't want a car like that.

It's about a 19-ish hour drive... it's doable but my work schedule is basically 6 days a week and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need 2 days to drive back so it's not gonna be possible any time soon, especially since I need to keep my job so I can actually buy it haha.

Funny enough, my brother would rather take a Porsche than the Evo simply because Mitsubishi is practically dead. His reasoning is quite valid and convincing, it's kind of an old car, it being out of state, and yeah Mitsu being dead and all. I don't necessarily buy all of it, but he has a point. Then again he's always been practical and all that... like he didn't really mod his Mazdaspeed3 until after the warranty ended, runs at a very safe boost PSI, you know practical stuff lol.

I feel like this is 100% an emotional purchase so I think gotta step back and relax as there's lots to think about for the moment.

No Love

Banned
It's about a 19-ish hour drive... it's doable but my work schedule is basically 6 days a week and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need 2 days to drive back so it's not gonna be possible any time soon, especially since I need to keep my job so I can actually buy it haha.

Funny enough, my brother would rather take a Porsche than the Evo simply because Mitsubishi is practically dead. His reasoning is quite valid and convincing, it's kind of an old car, it being out of state, and yeah Mitsu being dead and all. I don't necessarily buy all of it, but he has a point. Then again he's always been practical and all that... like he didn't really mod his Mazdaspeed3 until after the warranty ended, runs at a very safe boost PSI, you know practical stuff lol.

I feel like this is 100% an emotional purchase so I think gotta step back and relax as there's lots to think about for the moment.

Every manufacturer has to have replacement parts for 20 years aftee discontinuation. Also, Evo motor is an almost 30 (!!!) year old 4G63 platform and parts are cheap + plentiful.

just be prepared to change the fluids frequently and if you go E85, do the spark plugs every 3k for a total of $10 extra every change lol. As long as you do all of that, the car will run effortlessly and reliably for a very long time. There are guys out there with 250-300k miles on their daily driven Evos and still on stock motor lol.

And always change the timing belt. ALWAYS. Early if you want. Don't be that guy.

It's one of the most brilliant sports cars ever made. Really. You'll love it. My Forever Garage will have an Evo 9 parked next to an S2000. It's that good.

Bandit1

Well here they are, Datsun 510s!

22013860288_561db6fb4f_c.jpg

22188951812_fab9e056d2_c.jpg

When I said projects I wasn't messing around. Here in Oklahoma we drag them out of the fields and the brush lol. Hopefully I'll be able to at least get one out sometime this weekend.

When I said projects I wasn't messing around. Here in Oklahoma we drag them out of the fields and the brush lol. Hopefully I'll be able to at least get one out sometime this weekend.

YES.

I saw a 510 at my cars and coffee a couple months ago and loved it:

MqsWQRa.jpg

rokkerkory

Yeah LCI for the sedans was 2009 with new taillights. You're right. The interior update to the new MMI console was 2010 though, right? And that's also when some of the reliability issues should have been improved.

Yeah it was weird for the sedans it was 2009 model year and for coupes it was 2010.5 model year but called an 2011.

Eletronics were greatly improved, hi-res screen, hd navi which is worlds faster.

mkenyon

Banned
Agreed. Evo is a 911 Turbo killer. Probably the greatest performance bargain of all time when modded.

And it also help that they don't depreciate, prices will start going up soon, and they're reliable as fuck.

It's OK though, you don't want a car like that.
This fucking thread.

Now I'm bouncing between an E90 M3, EVO X, and 997 Carrera.

Stahp.
YES.

I saw a 510 at my cars and coffee a couple months ago and loved it:
Holy fuck that's gorgeous.

mkenyon

Banned
@AlphaSnake

You have a list off the top of your head of cars that have a HUD similar to the one on the current 5 series? That shit is pretty amazing, especially with the nav directions being put there.

Man, get the car trailered out to your location. It's not as expensive as you think...

So what I'm trying to say is, DO IT!

22013860288_561db6fb4f_c.jpg

22188951812_fab9e056d2_c.jpg

You sir are awesome!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The re-launched Viper was very underwhelming.

It has a really bad (sometimes undeserved) reputation as a drag racing troglodyte. I never saw anyone driving it who wasn't forty pounds overweight and in his fifties. You can't come back from a perception deficit, even if you fix the flaws.

Top Bottom