• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

No Love

Banned
Time for shitloads of aftermarkrt BOV equipped slow as shit new Civics to flood the streets.

Wonder if 300-350 whp with E85 and some boltons is possible.

The 2016 Honda Civic has a turbo motor available, the first turbo motor ever offered by Honda in the US, but it came so close to not happening.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20151011/OEM03/310129999/how-the-civic-got-its-turbo

I know the new North American Type R isn't expected for a while, but I wonder what they'll do with the Civic Si. Tuned version of the turbo 1.5? Turbo 2.0? Or just stick with the naturally aspirated K24 engine? Either way they need to up their game to stay competitive with the GTI and the like, 205 HP isn't enough. As a 9th gen Si owner the car is really close to where it needs to be. It handles surprisingly well for the whale it is and the transmission/manual gearbox is one of the best out there. Just needs a bit more tuning.

Time for shitloads of aftermarkrt BOV equipped slow as shit new Civics to flood the streets.

Wonder if 300-350 whp with E85 and some boltons is possible.

I'm pretty sure it will be but it's gonna be useless anyway.

People are gonna laugh at you with a stupid fast Civic... you're gonna need a set of stretched tires, asinine negative camber, and grounded to the ground ride height to be accepted by the Civic community. Anything other than that is unnecessary and people will ridicule you to death.

/sarcasm of course lol.

If Honda isn't dumb then they'd capitalize on the basically non-existent FWD hot hatch market. The Focus ST is basically sitting by itself since the Mazdaspeed3 is gone. All Honda needs to do is use the 1.5L turbo to go against the GTI, the Si against the FoST and of course the Type-R for the WRX/STI and Focus RS. It really is that simple and if they can't see that, well... there's really nothing else they can do tbh.

No Love

Banned

People are gonna laugh at you with a stupid fast Civic... you're gonna need a set of stretched tires, asinine negative camber, and grounded to the ground ride height to be accepted by the Civic community. Anything other than that is unnecessary and people will ridicule you to death.

/sarcasm of course lol.

If Honda isn't dumb then they'd capitalize on the basically non-existent FWD hot hatch market. The Focus ST is basically sitting by itself since the Mazdaspeed3 is gone. All Honda needs to do is use the 1.5L turbo to go against the GTI, the Si against the FoST and of course the Type-R for the WRX/STI and Focus RS. It really is that simple and if they can't see that, well... there's really nothing else they can do tbh.

Should be fun watching them peg leg without LSD. Can't wait.

Bandit1

What is the GAF consensus on the new Camaro? Those reviews that just came out are glowing.

It's a Camaro. 😏

The SS is faster than most Gaffers cars and costs less than $40k.

Um, yeah apparently it's pretty dang good. And putting down numbers dangerously close to the outgoing Z/28. 0-60 in 4.0 seconds flat, the quarter in 12.4, and only a half a second off the Z/28 on Motor Trend's figure 8 - 24.1 seconds compared to the Z/28's 23.6.

It also looks phenomenal. I've been seeing them around a lot as the GM dudes at the plant I'm at have their hands on some and I've been rather impressed. I bet the interior is still a coffin, though, with so-so materials at best.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I know the new North American Type R isn't expected for a while, but I wonder what they'll do with the Civic Si. Tuned version of the turbo 1.5? Turbo 2.0? Or just stick with the naturally aspirated K24 engine? Either way they need to up their game to stay competitive with the GTI and the like, 205 HP isn't enough. As a 9th gen Si owner the car is really close to where it needs to be. It handles surprisingly well for the whale it is and the transmission/manual gearbox is one of the best out there. Just needs a bit more tuning.

I'm guessing a turbo 2.0 with at least 225 horsepower, turbo all the things.

GHG

Gold Member
Just finished watching this all the way through and it cemented my decision to pick up a 650S as my next sports car.

What an incredible machine.

All of these glowing reviews for the 650s are telling he one thing - as soon as I can afford a 12c that's the car I'm going to get.

It is THE bargain supercar at the moment. All thanks to the 650s, and it's not all that different (other than the styling of course) either.

TCRS

Banned
do4Stk4.jpg

is the a Ferrari LaFerrari? overtook me on the autobahn and then I just followed it for several kilometers although it was going in a different direction than I was lol. fucking hot.

Bandit1

It also looks phenomenal. I've been seeing them around a lot as the GM dudes at the plant I'm at have their hands on some and I've been rather impressed. I bet the interior is still a coffin, though, with so-so materials at best.

Initially I was a little put off by the looks, only because it looked so similar to the fifth gen, but it looks much more agressive, and I do like it.

do4Stk4.jpg

is the a Ferrari LaFerrari? overtook me on the autobahn and then I just followed it for several kilometers although it was going in a different direction than I was lol. fucking hot.

Yes. That's pretty awesome!

Ettie

/sarcasm of course lol.

Is the MS3 dead or have they just not done a new one since the language redesign?

Is the MS3 dead or have they just not done a new one since the language redesign?

Neither.

AFAIK, Mazda does have a Mazdaspeed3 chassis/body pretty much ready to go. The problem is the engine.

I don't really know how to properly explain it, but basically the Skyactiv engines run at very high compression ratio and dropping a turbo on it is not viable as it'll be unreliable.

Then on top of that, they're trying still trying to figure when and what to release. Ever since the Skyactiv's came out, there's been talk of an AWD Mazdaspeed6, potentially running the diesel engine prototypes they've had in the TUDOR races, but they canned those cars early this year in favor of a gasoline engine instead. So maybe they've figured out how to solve the high compression and turbo issue?

And of course, with the VW diesel scandal... I think Mazda's been running into emission issues with the diesel car, which is weird because my brother took this picture last year at our local grocery store:

Maybe they borrowed VW's diesel cheating tech but realized they were gonna die if they kept using it? Lol.

I personally think we'll see the hard-top Miata and a Mazdaspeed next year, but which one I dunno. I'd say the 'speed6 has a better chance of coming out since the RS and Type-R are gonna be coming in the market.

Either way, between the supposed 'speed6, the 'speed3, hard-top Miata, CX-4, and the coupe concept... Mazda basically has a lot on their plate.

Do Renaultsport sell cars in America? I can pick up a Megane 275 with about 18% off the retail price.

But after all the options, it's nearly as much as a Focus RS, which has AWD and +75 PS...

No Love

Banned
Out of a 1.5 liter? I hope not = boom

Nah, not at all. Engine size has nothing to do with it. A friend of mine has a turbo D16 (read: 1.6L Honda motor) making 650 whp. It's all about turbo sizing, a great tune, and stock internal atrength.

Um, yeah apparently it's pretty dang good. And putting down numbers dangerously close to the outgoing Z/28. 0-60 in 4.0 seconds flat, the quarter in 12.4, and only a half a second off the Z/28 on Motor Trend's figure 8 - 24.1 seconds compared to the Z/28's 23.6.

It's still a Camaro.

All of these glowing reviews for the 650s are telling he one thing - as soon as I can afford a 12c that's the car I'm going to get.

It is THE bargain supercar at the moment. All thanks to the 650s, and it's not all that different (other than the styling of course) either.

Yeah, I see no point in the 650S when the 12C is almost as good and can be easily tuned to be faster. I'm definitely on board with getting a used 12c.

Bandit1

What is the GAF consensus on the new Camaro? Those reviews that just came out are glowing.
It's a Camaro. 😏

It's still a Camaro.

Not trying to start anything, I don't have a horse in the pony car wars, (pun intended) but what are you getting at?

No Love

Banned
Not trying to start anything, I don't have a horse in the pony car wars, (pun intended) but what are you getting at?

I don't know what it is but modern Camaros just piss me off. I even like the Challenger more. Just feels... wrong. Everything about it. Maybe the new one can change my mind if it's become more of a sports car like the 5.0.

Bandit1

He don't like the Camaro.

They aren't my cup of tea either, but they're solid nonetheless.

I don't know what it is but modern Camaros just piss me off. I even like the Challenger more. Just feels... wrong. Everything about it. Maybe the new one can change my mind if it's become more of a sports car like the 5.0.

I understand. The 2010-2015 Camaro was probably my least favorite of the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger trio, with the exception of the Z/28 which seemed very capable. But I'm a little more optimistic about the sixth gen, I think it will be interesting to see some head to head comparisons with the new 5.0.

ameratsu

Anyone have opinions about the Audi CPO warranty? From like 2 minutes of looking, it appears as though it stacks on top of the factory warranty and only takes effect once the factory warranty expires.

Vehicle in question is a fully loaded (sans-titanium, as this wasn't available in Canada) 2012 Audi A3 with 25k kilometers. It has a year of factory warranty remaining.

Roughly what will this cost? I'm just asking for a friend as he's considering buying it and I barely know anything about CPO warranties. I'm pretty strongly telling him to get the CPO warranty due to the reputation VAG cars have for expensive out-of-warranty repairs.

negitoro7

Curbed my rear passenger wheel while parallel parking in the dark, pretty pissed at myself. Gives me an excuse to change my gunmetal neuspeed RSE12s to black now over winter. Should I go with satin or gloss black? I have a white MK6 GTI and considering having the roof wrapped in gloss black too.

Rengoku

Anyone have opinions about the Audi CPO warranty? From like 2 minutes of looking, it appears as though it stacks on top of the factory warranty and only takes effect once the factory warranty expires.

Vehicle in question is a fully loaded (sans-titanium, as this wasn't available in Canada) 2012 Audi A3 with 25k kilometers. It has a year of factory warranty remaining.

Roughly what will this cost? I'm just asking for a friend as he's considering buying it and I barely know anything about CPO warranties. I'm pretty strongly telling him to get the CPO warranty due to the reputation VAG cars have for expensive out-of-warranty repairs.

My buddy just bought a Q5 a couple weeks ago in Canada, From what I understood from him, the CPO warranty stacks on top of the factory warranty like you say. One thing though is that the CPO warranty does not cover regular maintenance costs. If you want to be covered for maintenance costs, you need to pay for the Audi Care package on top of the CPO. It's really all about peace of mind.

Bandit1

Just got them home.

22275347852_9e6ea7b526_c.jpg

22100174600_17d270987c_c.jpg

22288232555_bc77547f16_c.jpg

22262243416_bc58542317_c.jpg

A little rough, but nothing that can't be fixed. Engines are out right now, going to pick them up later. Will probably be a few weeks before I'm able to start tinkering with them.

Was at the auto show at the State Fair of Texas today... not a lot of cars but I did see a Focus RS, no pics either but that thing looks super sweet.

Then I sat in a Fiesta ST or Focus ST.

Goddamn that FiST's Recaro's are fncking horrible. I sat in it and was like wtf is this shit lol. The way the seat cupped you felt so stiff, and it seemed like it was harder to access than my Miata lol.

The FoST's Recaro's were so much better.

There was also a 'vette Z06... I was actually surprised to see one there.
Maybe they just pushed it in the building? Haha.

Beyond that, nothing else special really. Just a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge section of Toyota's, probably because their headquarters is being built 30 minutes away, some Scoobys, Nissans, and all the American carmakers.

Pricing for the 2016 Civic has leaked. The base model is only $150 more than the outgoing model, at $19,475 with destination. The top-end Touring trim is at $27,335.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/17/2016-honda-civic-pricing-leak/

Pricing, power, and maybe the Si and hatchback availability get confirmed Monday.

Will be interesting to see the horsepower and torque. Bought a mazda 3, but might be willing to switch it out for the Civic in a few months once dealerships will actually negotiate on them.

lem0n

Best $1000 I ever spent. Runs like a top, needs nothing but cosmetic shit. I used it to haul half my house to my new place last month, too. Gonna build a B230FT on a stand and drop it in at some point next year I think. Between this and my Miata I got reliable transportation and fun weekend thrills. I was thinking of leasing the new ND Miata but fuck a car payment, I'd rather drive cheap cars and stack cash.

12002306_101532395680u7a9w.jpg

Best $1000 I ever spent. Runs like a top, needs nothing but cosmetic shit. I used it to haul half my house to my new place last month, too. Gonna build a B230FT on a stand and drop it in at some point next year I think. Between this and my Miata I got reliable transportation and fun weekend thrills. I was thinking of leasing the new ND Miata but fuck a car payment, I'd rather drive cheap cars and stack cash.

YES.

My cousin had a stock, clean one given to her by her parents when she left for college.

Every time I visited, it had something broken on it by her driving skills.

I cried a little inside each time I saw it.

For $1k I would've saved it.

matmanx1

I will always have a soft spot for those boxy Volvo wagons. I dig it.

You know what has nice Recaros jong?

Yuri's Evo 9.

Hahaha.

I've thought it about it all weekend and I'm gonna start looking into it this week.

There's a few hurdles that I'm gonna need to clear and some things to be sorted, but I'm hoping I can get a clearer picture this week.

Pricing for the 2016 Civic has leaked. The base model is only $150 more than the outgoing model, at $19,475 with destination. The top-end Touring trim is at $27,335.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/17/2016-honda-civic-pricing-leak/

Pricing, power, and maybe the Si and hatchback availability get confirmed Monday.

No word on the Si/TypeR or hatches yet - press today looks to just be for Sedan only. Seems to be fast enough for the class.

But 26k+ for a fully loaded model? That's Accord territory.

Best $1000 I ever spent. Runs like a top, needs nothing but cosmetic shit. I used it to haul half my house to my new place last month, too. Gonna build a B230FT on a stand and drop it in at some point next year I think.

Just put a turbo on the current engine. You know it can take it.

Mistel

Banned
I'll be sure to post when I'm able to make some headway. I'm going to clean them out and see which body is the best. They both have some rust in the floor pans but the great thing is that the floors are very flat. Couldn't ask for an easier floor to replace.
As a slightly related aside done anything with the 78 Trans Am with the special performance package you got a while ago other than swapping rally II's for snowflakes?

Bandit1

As a slightly related aside done anything with the 78 Trans Am with the special performance package you got a while ago other than swapping rally II's for snowflakes?

Ah I sold it a while back. I got the motor running, and the brakes working, then I broke my arm and couldn't really work on it lol. Needed some extra cash while I was handicapped and I sold it. But I was able to make some money on it, so I can't complain. I'll just move on to the next one. You got a good memory though, thanks for asking!

MisterNoisy

This car is awesome.

lem0n

YES.

My cousin had a stock, clean one given to her by her parents when she left for college.

Every time I visited, it had something broken on it by her driving skills.

I cried a little inside each time I saw it.

For $1k I would've saved it.

That's how I felt with this one, this is how it looked when I got it. I just needed to save it from more ricing.

I will always have a soft spot for those boxy Volvo wagons. I dig it.

Thanks! Me too, I had a white turbo wagon years ago. I always wanted another.

Just put a turbo on the current engine. You know it can take it.

What can this year block take, though? It's a '92 Regina car, do they have the thin or thick connecting rods?

This car is awesome.

Thanks! It totally is. They just have so much character.

What can this year block take, though? It's a '92 Regina car, do they have the thin or thick connecting rods?

Pretty sure 89 is when they went with the thicker rods. I don't think it really matters anyway unless you're going for tons of power.

Your main problem is regina, but I've heard its actually easy to convert to lh2.4. But that requires swapping out the flex plate/flywheel, and a few wiring changes. Would probably be easier to just megasquirt.

Antagon

Yeah, they're cool. Especially since they're virtually indistructable:

http://www.flabber.nl/linkdump/video/les-1-hoe-een-volvo-te-slopen-13676

Top Bottom