• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Mistel

Banned
Ah I sold it a while back. I got the motor running, and the brakes working, then I broke my arm and couldn't really work on it lol. Needed some extra cash while I was handicapped and I sold it. But I was able to make some money on it, so I can't complain. I'll just move on to the next one. You got a good memory though, thanks for asking!
Going to find another or focus on the 73 Formula/Tempest/Datsun's?

Evo X

Chris Harris has posted his review of the new McLaren 570S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyBc1GnJVlM

RIP 911 Turbo S. The McLaren is faster, more comfortable, and miles ahead in terms of exotic look, sound and feel. Also, still has hydraulic steering!

You put down a deposit yet Jackson? I'm staring at an order sheet right now and am super tempted.

Evo X

Watching it right now! Might put a order in next month, but they said it might take till April-May for the car.

Yes, I'm hearing similar delivery times from my guy. Fine by me as it's usually snowing until then in Chicago anyway.

Just finished watching that video and I don't think I've ever seen Chris Harris so happy before. Conclusion says it's the most fun car the company has ever made.

Dealer demo should be here within a few weeks so I'm excited to take it out and see for myself.

boltz

Will be interesting to see the horsepower and torque. Bought a mazda 3, but might be willing to switch it out for the Civic in a few months once dealerships will actually negotiate on them.

I can't imagine that it would be a big enough difference to switch from a new Mazda 3, especially if you have the 2.5L engine.

I'm hoping to meet up with a friend of a friend tomorrow with an Evo 9... this is probably gonna be the deciding factor for me tbh. His isn't exactly stock, but it's the closest one that I might be able to "test drive" before ultimately deciding on it.

I've been thinking about it the last few days and I've been thinking about it more rationally now, looking at it financially... insurance, paying for it and all that stuff. And I think it works out... I just need to have a chat with my dad sometime this week about all that boring mess.

That said, I do feel that the 'yata is speaking to me again and telling me no lol. I "visited" the governor today on the way to work and on the way back home, I wasn't paying attention while taking a left turn, downshifted to 2nd and gassed it before the turn and the rear got loose for a moment haha. Last time this happened was when I was considering that S2000 my buddy tested out a few months back so I think it somehow knows what I'm up to lol.

matmanx1

Chris Harris has posted his review of the new McLaren 570S.

RIP 911 Turbo S. The McLaren is faster, more comfortable, and miles ahead in terms of exotic look, sound and feel. Also, still has hydraulic steering!

You put down a deposit yet Jackson? I'm staring at an order sheet right now and am super tempted.

But would you really cross shop a 911 Turbo? The money might be similar but, in my mind at least, they seem miles apart in character. The 911 Turbo is a super fast GT car that's actually gotten quite heavy these days. It still performs very well but seems a very different beast than this carbon fiber, lightweight McLaren.

My perception could be totally skewed but I don't know that the 570s is actually competition for the 911 Turbo. It's such a different type of car. I think it pretty much creates its own niche and doesn't have any direct competitors at its pricepoint and performance level.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
While it's all Honda underneath, I think he meant actually marketed as Honda. I want that RDX engine in a CRZ

That's correct, this is the first car with the H badge in North America with the turbo.

Si might have it, and the Type R will have it. :)

True. Very true.

But if people desire a turbo Honda, they can scoop one of these up used. They're still great cars.

In fact, just bought my mom a new 2016 Acura RDX AWD Tech. What a fantastic car.

mkenyon

Banned
Chris Harris drives the 570S

True. Very true.

But if people desire a turbo Honda, they can scoop one of these up used. They're still great cars.

In fact, just bought my mom a new 2016 Acura RDX AWD Tech. What a fantastic car.
When I was shopping with my dad a few years back, we drove just about every luxury CUV/small SUV aside from the Mercedes stuff (he just doesn't like the aesthetics/image of Mercedes). The RDX was by far my least favorite. The feel was awful for a Honda, and the engine felt anemic compared to everything it competes with.

That was actually when I fell in love with the EX35.

AlphaSnake

Chris Harris drives the 570S

When I was shopping with my dad a few years back, we drove just about every luxury CUV/small SUV aside from the Mercedes stuff (he just doesn't like the aesthetics/image of Mercedes). The RDX was by far my least favorite. The feel was awful for a Honda, and the engine felt anemic compared to everything it competes with.

That was actually when I fell in love with the EX35.

The 2016s are different cars. What year did you drive?

I can't imagine that it would be a big enough difference to switch from a new Mazda 3, especially if you have the 2.5L engine.

Well the HP was revealed now. It's only 174 on the turbo 1.5l. That's disappointing. I love the mazda, but I decided I don't like leather after living in the heat of Texas lol

AlphaSnake

Was a few years ago. Nice that they've improved.

Yeah, they no longer use the turbo 4 anymore. It's a 280HP 3.5L V6. It's pretty punchy, actually. Just as quick as the FX35 was when it still had 306HP, before getting the VQ37.

TCRS

Banned
Volvo V90 wagon leaks in die-cast model form

Wj8jYh3.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/20/volvo-v90-wagon-die-cast-report/

HNNNGGG

No Love

Banned
Well the HP was revealed now. It's only 174 on the turbo 1.5l. That's disappointing. I love the mazda, but I decided I don't like leather after living in the heat of Texas lol

That's actually really good. That's only like 30 hp off the old Si lol. Fact is, getting another 50-70 hp + tq is going to be cake with a chip and bolt-ons. You'll easily have 220-250 bhp without doing anything fancy.

TCRS

Banned
"Is this a Volvo for ants?!" *smashes*

I like it. I'm guessing no rear facing third row? I always liked that about my old Volvo 960 wagon, even though it was kind of crappy to actually ride back there.

I think Mercedes is the only manufacturer left that does that in the E class T model. sounds bloody dangerous to me though, no crumple zone for the poor kids back there.

YX1qKhQ.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I just arrived at my hotel, after driving about 30 minutes with the new reigning champ of shit vehicles. In exchange for spending not one, but five extra dollars on an “intermediate” rental, Avis graciously rewarded me with a Kia Sportage, or as I’ll call it from here on out: The off brand tampon.

The off brand tampon removes absolutely every opportunity for sex appeal in a vehicle. Sexy lines are replaced for bulbous curves. Premium wheels are clearly repurposed hubcaps. Inside, fuck nappa-grade leather; enjoy rubbing your hands on a steering wheel that uses plastics more rough on your hands than a Lego.

But, you wouldn’t buy a Kia Sporta.. …. er, an off brand tampon for how good it looks or how cool it is. That’s fair. So let’s talk about comfort? The cup holders are shit and poorly placed. You have to “pump” the driver’s seat up like it’s an ’82 Corolla. The radio has to go to level 35 before you can hear anything. 36 blows your ear drums. The driver’s position is absolute dog shit; imagine if your work gave you a desk with a 90 degree angle in the middle. But required you to have your keyboard on one side, and your monitor on the other. That’s the kind of comfort you can expect as you drive. The seat is basically a previously-owned Serta box spring shaped into a chair. The shift knob’s leather literally ripped when I put it in park (that’s what instigated me to write this review). The bottom of the window - I fuck you not - comes up to almost my shoulder. Meaning, at 6’2”, I struggle to see over the door panel while driving.

Okay, okay… well, does it have any power? This things is the Super Nintendo in the land of the PS4. Slam the accelerator while doing 40mph in an effort to pass, and it takes a full two seconds to drop the gear, another full second and a half to rev up… which, by this point, your opportunity is absolutely gone. But regardless, you hold on anyway - thinking surely, you’ll speed up, right? Wrong. When you finally get the “power” to kick it, the engine sounds like a go-kart trying to pull a boat. And you feel like that’s about how fast you’re going, too.

This vehicle has absolutely ZERO redeeming qualities. Absolute dog shit in every sense. I’d GLADY drive just about any other car I’ve ever rented or driven over it. Without a doubt, it makes the Dodge Journey look like the Ferrari of car rentals.

My final score? 1 Titanic/10.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just close your eyes and pretend you're driving a Scat Pack Challenger.

There's one for $37.9K with 7K miles in my area, with leather interior. First time I've seen leather on a Scat for under $38 anywhere within 100 miles.

One more year... ... one more year...

Evo X

Some pics from last night's Bentayga unveiling. Looks really nice in person. New 6L twin turbo W12 engine with 600HP and 664TQ allow it to go 0-60 in 4s with a 187mph top speed. 22in forged wheels with massive brakes. Four-mode adjustable air suspension, electronic active roll control allow it to be driven on almost any terrain and up extreme inclines. Don't think anyone is gonna be taking their quarter mil SUV off road though.

Interior was exquisite. All handcrafted leather, wood, and metal trim. 1,950-watt, 18-speaker system by Naim. The front seats are adjustable 22 ways and feature ventilation, heating, and massage functions with the rears being 15 way adjustable as well. Full glass panoramic roof was beautiful. I tried to take a pic of it, but could only fit about 60% in my lens. It extends almost the entire length of the car and even opens up.

Entertainment systems and tech have also been modernized leading the way for all future Bentleys. Big upgrade from the current lineup bringing it up to par with things like the new Benz S Class.

This easily dethrones the Cayenne Turbo S as the ultimate soccer mom mobile. I'd buy one for my
future
wife.

x3EZWUT.jpg

z6OJTXX.jpg

HNNzlVg.jpg

q5YI8y7.jpg

IM8QUPg.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

^^ That steering wheel looks like it costs more than my entire jeep.

Evo X

In celebration of BTTF day, had a bunch of friends dress up and meet at an 80s style drive in hotdog place with cool neon lights. One of my friends looks almost exactly like young Michael J Fox and we had a bunch of the prop replicas like the hoverboard, nike air mags, jacket, license plates, and rainbow hat. Was pretty fun.

Don't wanna post their pics online without permission, so I'll just stick to the cars and props. Sadly no DeLorean. There was one downtown at a coffee shop, but it was going to close by the time we got there.

GJS7n8C.jpg

PUIPkQh.jpg

2yrmaEN.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think Mercedes is the only manufacturer left that does that in the E class T model. sounds bloody dangerous to me though, no crumple zone for the poor kids back there.

YX1qKhQ.jpg

Bizarrely the Tesla Model S does this as an option.

TCRS

Banned
everything VAG inside that bentley, every switch and layout. could have customized it a little for a car that costs as much as a house.

matmanx1

Re: the Bentley SUV, umm, wow!? Bentley's are so far removed from my world view that I have trouble wrapping my head around them. Like, I literally don't have a schema for a world in which I interact with a Bentley in some way.

A life coach would say I need to remove the limiters in my mind or some such but at this point I am content to look at pretty pictures on the internet and just be impressed with what is clearly a rolling work of art.

rokkerkory

In celebration of BTTF day, had a bunch of friends dress up and meet at an 80s style drive in hotdog place with cool neon lights. One of my friends looks almost exactly like young Michael J Fox and we had a bunch of the prop replicas like the hoverboard, nike air mags, jacket, license plates, and rainbow hat. Was pretty fun.

Don't wanna post their pics online without permission, so I'll just stick to the cars and props. Sadly no DeLorean. There was one downtown at a coffee shop, but it was going to close by the time we got there.

PUIPkQh.jpg

haha super cool

So I met up with the Evo 9 guy last night and the dude didn't have it. He did have his Evo X MR though so he's a Evo nut for sure and the stuff he told me was very informative.

Basically, he told me that if I can afford the expensive maintenance and that I don't mind dropping the value of the car for every mile I put in it, then go for it.

To clarify, the expensive maintenance he mentioned is because there's really only one Mitsu dealership in the entire DFW area that he'd trust his cars with, otherwise there's only one specialized Evo shop(Evo Dynamics, for those in the know) who can handle Evo 9's. The other turbo shops around here might be worth a try but those guys handle Scooby's and GTR's more often than Evo 9's so they might be a hit or miss.

Finally, as for the dropping value... he actually brought up a really good point I've never thought about. Just judging from my driving habits the last few weeks, I'm probably gonna be driving at least 10,000 miles in a year. And basically, if I'm getting a car now, I'm gonna be keeping it for at least a few years.

Anyway, it sucks that I didn't get to sit in one, but I'm glad we talked about it and answered some of my concerns as well as raise a couple of worthy concerns.

Evo X

It's already $20K. How much in value could it possibly drop?

I'm probably gonna lose that much in depreciation the first year of owning the Cayman.

Driving 10K mi/yr is fine for an Evo. It's not a Ferrari.

Maintenance isn't that expensive either. Oil change every 3K mi that you can easily do yourself. Car only takes about 4 quarts. Drive train fluids are every 30K mi. Brakes and tires should be around the same price as any other performance car and last a while depending on your driving style.

The concern is when you're gonna need a proper mechanic. It's obviously not Ferrari levels of pricing, but there's fewer people who have the ability to work on Evo's... and those dudes command a high price of course.

Fluids aren't really a concern, although an oil change every 3k sounds crazy... that's like an oil change every 3 months. I change the Miata's oil twice a year, one before the cold season starts and the other before summer lol.

My concern about value is more towards the future actually. I feel like the Evo is gonna go the way of the 90's Japanese classics, where a more stock example is gonna fetch a higher price(as it should) so my question is basically whether if it's a good idea to daily drive it.

Like I said, I've still got a lot of things to think about and things to confirm. Let's just say that if I had the ability to swap cars every month or buy a Porsche I would've been at Yuri's door this past weekend, but I don't so I gotta proceed the right way otherwise I might be in trouble.

No Love

Banned
The concern is when you're gonna need a proper mechanic. It's obviously not Ferrari levels of pricing, but there's fewer people who have the ability to work on Evo's... and those dudes command a high price of course.

Fluids aren't really a concern, although an oil change every 3k sounds crazy... that's like an oil change every 3 months. I change the Miata's oil twice a year, one before the cold season starts and the other before summer lol.

My concern about value is more towards the future actually. I feel like the Evo is gonna go the way of the 90's Japanese classics, where a more stock example is gonna fetch a higher price(as it should) so my question is basically whether if it's a good idea to daily drive it.

Like I said, I've still got a lot of things to think about and things to confirm. Let's just say that if I had the ability to swap cars every month or buy a Porsche I would've been at Yuri's door this past weekend, but I don't so I gotta proceed the right way otherwise I might be in trouble.

Honestly, who cares if you daily drive it? It's not a collectible, it's a car made to be driven for joy.

And it's not that hard to work on them, it's just harder to find someone who can do the more complex stuff on them the right way.

You are honestly psyching yourself out. BTW you don't have to change the oil every 3k if you're on 91/93, every 5-6k is fine if you use good stuff. E85 requires more frequent oil changes for various reasons I won't get into because everyone on this forum hates when I talk about E85.

BTW got my S4, it's a fucking beast. It reminds me so much of the Evo, just way more sleeper, way more buttoned down and polished, and way crazier spool and torque.

Evo X

Yeah, 5-6K is fine for oil change. I just changed it more often because I drive my vehicles hard and am super paranoid about keeping them in tip top shape.

Don't worry about the mileage. Cars are depreciating assets meant to be enjoyed. I've always said that no matter how rare or expensive the cars that I buy in my lifetime get, I will always treat them that way, whether that's a Mitsubishi or Pagani. If they're just gonna stay in the garage, why bother? That's like not having sex with your girlfriend to keep her vag tight for the next guy.

You should of course be smart about the purchase, but It is possible to overthink things. For what it's worth, neither of my Evos gave me any issues or costly maintenance headaches, and that's with about 40K miles combined on them with plenty of mods and track time.

That's actually really good. That's only like 30 hp off the old Si lol. Fact is, getting another 50-70 hp + tq is going to be cake with a chip and bolt-ons. You'll easily have 220-250 bhp without doing anything fancy.

Yeah, my Si is only 205HP lol. I think the 1.5 turbo is pretty close to the torque mine makes haha. I can't wait to see the new Si. Hoping for a 2.0 turbo, maybe not as aggressively tuned as the 306hp Type R but they should at least get to 240 maybe if they want to one up the GTI and the like.

I'm actually getting worried I won't be able to resist trading in or selling my 2014 si whenever the new one is available...good news is that my car hasn't depreciated...almost at all.

LordOfChaos

YX1qKhQ.jpg

Yeah, looks cozy.

rf-Tesla-seats.jpg

I wondered about that. How safe is it back there? Does the rear crumple zone work as well as the front? And their heads would be jerked the opposite way than usual in a frontal collision.

I wondered about that. How safe is it back there? Does the rear crumple zone work as well as the front? And their heads would be jerked the opposite way than usual in a frontal collision.

The rear facing seats would be better for a frontal collision if they're designed properly--think rear facing vs. front facing child seats. And from what I understand, rear-end crashes with high speeds are relatively uncommon; the number that sticks in my head is that less than 3% of motorcycle crashes involve the bike getting hit from behind.

AlphaSnake

The rear facing seats would be better for a frontal collision if they're designed properly--think rear facing vs. front facing child seats. And from what I understand, rear-end crashes with high speeds are relatively uncommon; the number that sticks in my head is that less than 3% of motorcycle crashes involve the bike getting hit from behind.

I used to ride around in the back of a Chevy Celebrity with my cousins while our parents sat up front. LOL

Not a care in the world. No fucks given.

Not a chance I'd do that with my own kids, though. LMAO.

Well, people running into stopped cars in traffic is pretty common though. Especially distracted drivers. I see a ton of teslas where I live and I have never seen anyone using those rear facing seats.

Top Bottom