• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

FStop7

Banned
Evos are super easy to work on.

The Asian and Euro market Evo IX had S-AYC which was a bit of a pain in the ass, but the north american cars had it removed.

I took my IX MR apart several times, the most important thing is to make sure you secure all of the induction stuff properly so you don't get any boost leaks.

3 month oil changes were simple, I stuck to those intervals since I was running higher levels of boost than stock and liked to drive fast.

Tires were the biggest pain point. I barely got 8,000 miles per set from the OE tires. They were _really_ grippy but they wore out so fast.

Ty4on

I wondered about that. How safe is it back there? Does the rear crumple zone work as well as the front? And their heads would be jerked the opposite way than usual in a frontal collision.

Cars aren't tested for rear ends, but those crashes will usually be slower speed. Crumple zones should be bigger than with regular forward facing third row seats where the head is close to the rear windshield.

Like Dave said sitting in the opposite direction to a crash is usually safer because you have the entire seat back cushioning you instead of a thin seat belt and whatever is in front of your head.

No Love

Banned
Evos are super easy to work on.

The Asian and Euro market Evo IX had S-AYC which was a bit of a pain in the ass, but the north american cars had it removed.

I took my IX MR apart several times, the most important thing is to make sure you secure all of the induction stuff properly so you don't get any boost leaks.

3 month oil changes were simple, I stuck to those intervals since I was running higher levels of boost than stock and liked to drive fast.

Tires were the biggest pain point. I barely got 8,000 miles per set from the OE tires. They were _really_ grippy but they wore out so fast.

Federal 595 RSR. Last 15-20k miles, comparable to Hankook RS3, under $500 a set.

And yeah, working on an Evo is about as easy as working on Honda. It's very very similar.

It's really not much more complex than your Miata, Jong. If you're comfortable working on that, just imagine a similar motor with turbo stuff.

Bandit1

Don't worry about the mileage. Cars are depreciating assets meant to be enjoyed. I've always said that no matter how rare or expensive the cars that I buy in my lifetime get, I will always treat them that way, whether that's a Mitsubishi or Pagani. If they're just gonna stay in the garage, why bother? That's like not having sex with your girlfriend to keep her vag tight for the next guy.

Well, when you put it that way..

Deciding between these 2 328s. I originally wanted a saddle brown luxury line but this sport line with the blue exterior and the black with red stitching is growing on me.

Which would auto-GAF choose?
b4yJ0xc.jpg
T0Vd6rH.jpg

H5XS73g.jpg
nxIsdMw.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I hate that fucker.

Who wants to start a car vlog series on YouTube with me?

I hate that fucker.

Who wants to start a car vlog series on YouTube with me?

I'm in if your serious.

I might be ugly as fnck but I've got a decent voice and presentation skills that got honed in college radio and TV news. In fact, I'm actually running a bi-weekly podcast about geeky shit with a friend out of my bedroom.

Also I've got madd skillz in the Adobe Creative Suite, so Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator(makes up for my ugliness tbh), which is what I'm doing in my day job.

But really, if your'e serious, shoot me a PM.

I test drove a 2015 Fiat Abarth this weekend. What a fun, stupid silly car. I may have to pick one up someday. It was just fun, not the fastest but it was like driving a little Jack Russell Terrier. That exhaust with its barks and snarls had me giggling.

Yeah I cannot stand schmee either. And its not YouTube money that got him those cars.

Same with this salamondrin you tuber. His garage is even crazier and he's bullshitting about how he made the money.

AlphaSnake

I'm in if your serious.

I might be ugly as fnck but I've got a decent voice and presentation skills that got honed in college radio and TV news. In fact, I'm actually running a bi-weekly podcast about geeky shit with a friend out of my bedroom.

Also I've got madd skillz in the Adobe Creative Suite, so Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator(makes up for my ugliness tbh), which is what I'm doing in my day job.

But really, if your'e serious, shoot me a PM.

Me. Sounds like a blast.

Sure.

My cars are boring tho :(

Fortunately my dad buys a new car every 6 months or so. lol

I'd do it.
I've always wanted to review new cars but obviously that requires connections which I don't have. :(

I'm in Florida. Where are all of you guys again?

Connections are easy to obtain. I can start with a review of the Hurracan and just that alone will rack up views on YouTube. Once you have a few credible vids under your belt, especially with performance cars, all you have to do is contact the PR folk of every manufacturer - which I've done before. Sometimes you have to hound them, but it's part of the process.

I'm not the best looking guy either, a skinny 6'1 tall white boy with a passion for cars. But then again the most well known car enthusiast in the world is a British ape with a gut, broken teeth, a pension for outbursts, and is borderline bi-polar with cars he likes or doesn't like.

I sometimes have a blinking problem when the sun is in my face and I'm not wearing my sunglasses, so I'd play off of that when naming a channel LOL:

Eyes on the Road
Blink Speed

I had an even better but I fucking forgot it. :'(

I'm in Florida. Where are all of you guys again?

Connections are easy to obtain. I can start with a review of the Hurracan and just that alone will rack up views on YouTube. Once you have a few credible vids under your belt, especially with performance cars, all you have to do is contact the PR folk of every manufacturer - which I've done before. Sometimes you have to hound them, but it's part of the process.

I'm not the best looking guy either, a skinny 6'1 tall white boy with a passion for cars. But then again the most well known car enthusiast in the world is a British ape with a gut, broken teeth, a pension for outbursts, and is borderline bi-polar with cars he likes or doesn't like.

I sometimes have a blinking problem when the sun is in my face and I'm not wearing my sunglasses, so I'd play off of that when naming a channel LOL:

Eyes on the Road
Blink Speed

I had an even better but I fucking forgot it. :'(
What part of Florida? I'm currently in Atlanta, GA.
We don't really even have to be in the same place logistically wise.
I don't know how exactly this can work but if you're down to coming up with a way to collaborate on videos. Maybe have one person film and review the car one week, have another person edit it, have someone write up a written review, I think this could work.

I'm in Dallas, TX so I can fly out anywhere to shoot footage. I might be able to get some cheapass plain tickets so somebody just needs to cover my lodging lol.

Gear-wise, I've got a Nikon D3200, a 50mm prime and 28-85mm lens, and a shotgun mic I can use. I don't have a GoPro but I'm sure some of y'all have one so we could do that too.

If I don't need to shoot footage or we have an actual photo/videographer then yeah I can do all the editing necessary. Maybe they can upload the footage in a Dropbox or something similar that we can all share then I'll just grab the footage from there and put it all together.

mkenyon

Banned
Seems like the tires are at fault:

But the biggest culprit? These hateful tires. There are two rubber options for the NSX, and if you don't check the box for the sublime Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, you get these: a set of Continental Conti-Sport Contact 5Ps. Let me be entirely clear: these compromise the NSX in an unforgiveable way. If they show up on your car, demand the dealer take them off so you can set them on fire in the showroom.

Acura knows the shortcomings, but chose the Continentals for their carcass rigidity and all around performance. You know, in four seasons. In wet weather. In Ohio. So instead of getting a brilliant car in perfect conditions, we get a compromised car all year around. Lucky us.

Never underestimate the importance in choosing proper footwear. The hero Michelins transform the NSX from a vague, confidence sapping experience into a car that encourages you to push a little harder, to gun for the next apex and dive deep. There's turn in where there was no turn in before. Grip. Glorious, glorious grip. The right rubber lets you use this miracle machine Honda stitched together, and you can feel a quiet thread of commonality singing back to that special car, the first NSX.

In Track Mode and shod with the sticky Michelins, the NSX wakes up. The hellish understeer nearly vanishes. It's not a neutral car by any means, but it's easier to point in the direction you want. The rest is managed with big lifts of the throttle or brakes. The tail rotates and sets beautifully. It's so good, you wonder why the engineers buried it under a nasty pile of algorithms and unfortunate tire.

I'm in Dallas, TX so I can fly out anywhere to shoot footage. I might be able to get some cheapass plain tickets so somebody just needs to cover my lodging lol.

Gear-wise, I've got a Nikon D3200, a 50mm prime and 28-85mm lens, and a shotgun mic I can use. I don't have a GoPro but I'm sure some of y'all have one so we could do that too.

If I don't need to shoot footage or we have an actual photo/videographer then yeah I can do all the editing necessary. Maybe they can upload the footage in a Dropbox or something similar that we can all share then I'll just grab the footage from there and put it all together.
OK, let's do it then.

You guys mind if we move this to a groupme chat or Whatsapp or something like that? Whatever you guys prefer is fine.

M3 done right. Friend just posted this on his FB.

12115521_10153101439137407_7862484398634413674_n.jpg

Looks good what wheels?

It's already $20K. How much in value could it possibly drop?

I'm probably gonna lose that much in depreciation the first year of owning the Cayman.

Driving 10K mi/yr is fine for an Evo. It's not a Ferrari.

Maintenance isn't that expensive either. Oil change every 3K mi that you can easily do yourself. Car only takes about 4 quarts. Drive train fluids are every 30K mi. Brakes and tires should be around the same price as any other performance car and last a while depending on your driving style.

Evo is one of the cheapest performance cars to maintain.

I did the brakes with Hawk HPS Pads about 7k miles ago and that was about 275 bucks in parts.
Star Specs were around 650 bucks for 4 tires.
Uses Regular Mobil 1 10W-40 which gets changed every 3.5k miles.

The only expensive thing is the Transfer Case and the ACD fluid and that costs around 150 bucks for the fluid. I still have enough left for one change.

AlphaSnake

OK, let's do it then.

You guys mind if we move this to a groupme chat or Whatsapp or something like that? Whatever you guys prefer is fine.

What part of Florida? I'm currently in Atlanta, GA.
We don't really even have to be in the same place logistically wise.
I don't know how exactly this can work but if you're down to coming up with a way to collaborate on videos. Maybe have one person film and review the car one week, have another person edit it, have someone write up a written review, I think this could work.

I want in on this YouTube action. Let's do it.

I'm in Central Florida. A bit far from ATL to drive to, especially with a full time job.

Let's put together some kind of private chat room and PM it to each other? What's a good client for that stuff?

HipChat does look great... how come this is the first time I've heard of it?

Lemme know which one we're using and I'll make an account... unless I already have one lol.

I want in on this YouTube action. Let's do it.

I'm in Central Florida. A bit far from ATL to drive to, especially with a full time job.

Let's put together some kind of private chat room and PM it to each other? What's a good client for that stuff?

HipChat does look great... how come this is the first time I've heard of it?

Lemme know which one we're using and I'll make an account... unless I already have one lol.
Sent you all PMs with the room. Go ahead and create an account. You'll be able to change your usernames once you get in.

TylerD

I have a popping coming from the front suspension when braking to a stop under 5 mph or so and when turning to the left or backing up and turning the steering wheel to the right. Comes from same place.

There seems to be play at 9 and 3 on the drivers front but it doesn't make the popping noise when I'm jiggling with the tire off the ground. Car feels a little nervous going down the road at higher speeds and seems to want to track to the left.

I'm thinking tie rods?

Mazda Confirms Their Sports Car Concept Will Have A New Rotary Engine Called 'SkyActiv-R

Speaking to Autocar, Fujiwara said: “People think rotary can not meet modern Eco demands. The SkyActiv engineers worked on rotary and have it cutting edge tech. It is an essential part of our DNA and it just be passed onto future engineers. It is synonymous with the brand. Some time in the future it will return and be called SkyActiv-R.”

NOkrIWm.gif

They're showing the concept today at 6:30PM CST!!!!!

I have a popping coming from the front suspension when braking to a stop under 5 mph or so and when turning to the left or backing up and turning the steering wheel to the right. Comes from same place.

There seems to be play at 9 and 3 on the drivers front but it doesn't make the popping noise when I'm jiggling with the tire off the ground. Car feels a little nervous going down the road at higher speeds and seems to want to track to the left.

I'm thinking tie rods?

Tie Rods or Control Arm Bushings.

Bandit1

Allegedly this is it, 450HP:

Yeah, I was debating on posting that a few weeks ago but from the rumors I've heard, the front is very off. It apparently looks less catfishy and more similar to an ND Miata... just scaled to size.

Also I'd love to be a part of the Youtube channel, but I couldn't bring much to the table, I have no camera, no money, and no connections. So I'll count myself out, but I hope you guys can get something going! I'll subscribe.

How far are you to DFW?

I could come up there and document your restoration process on the Datsun, it should be some good content actually.

Anyway, I'll make my HipChat account later. GAF-fing at work is dangerous haha.

Went with the imperial blue 328i with the black interior. I liked the saddle brown but the adaptive xenon lights in the blue car won me over.

My first night drive was yesterday and when I hit the S-shaped on ramp and saw the xenons turn right, left, and right again I fucking screamed in my car. "What did I ever do without adaptive xenons?" I asked myself.

Bandit1

Yeah, I was debating on posting that a few weeks ago but from the rumors I've heard, the front is very off. It apparently looks less catfishy and more similar to an ND Miata... just scaled to size.

Yeah I hope that's not the front end. Doesn't look near as good as the Miata IMO.

How far are you to DFW?

I could come up there and document your restoration process on the Datsun, it should be some good content actually.

I haven't been down there in a few years, I think I'm about five hours away. But yeah, that might be cool. I doubt I'll have the budget for a full restoration though.

TylerD

Went with the imperial blue 328i with the black interior. I liked the saddle brown but the adaptive xenon lights in the blue car won me over.

My first night drive was yesterday and when I hit the S-shaped on ramp and saw the xenons turn right, left, and right again I fucking screamed in my car. "What did I ever do without adaptive xenons?" I asked myself.

Congrats! That is a sharp looking auto.

Top Bottom