• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

negitoro7

Went with the imperial blue 328i with the black interior. I liked the saddle brown but the adaptive xenon lights in the blue car won me over.

My first night drive was yesterday and when I hit the S-shaped on ramp and saw the xenons turn right, left, and right again I fucking screamed in my car. "What did I ever do without adaptive xenons?" I asked myself.

Brown leather with blue exterior would've been awesome! Wish the 2 series had saddle brown instead of Terra. Yeah cant do without adaptive Xenon or LEDs anymore after being spoiled with the ones on my GTI.

Brown leather with blue exterior would've been awesome! Wish the 2 series had saddle brown instead of Terra. Yeah cant do without adaptive Xenon or LEDs anymore after being spoiled with the ones on my GTI.
The brown only comes in luxury line and is missing some features only found in the sport by I agree, the blue and brown make a great combo.

Now to budget mods. Gonna get it sealed with opti-coat and tint it lightly. Wish I could afford 3M crystalline tint but it's to pricey at the moment.

Bandit1

It's a concept: the Mazda RX-Vision

Edit: better picture

2015_mazda_rx-vision_rotary_concept_tokyo_10.jpg

Go fuck yourselves with that concept bullshit, Mazda. Show us a production car.

I wouldn't be too worried about that tbh.

Mazda 6 "Takeri" Concept(left)/Production Model(right):

CX-5 "Minagi Concept/Production Model:

Mazda 2 "Hazumi" / Production Model:

Basically, what I'm saying is.... we're pretty much looking at something that's close to production. The headlights definitely aren't gonna retain that unibody look, smaller wheel wells and smaller tires, foglights, physical door knobs will be added, and some more extra doodads to ease production.

As there is no info about what's powering this thing, I have heard through the grapevine that there might 2 versions of this thing.

One is supposedly inspired by the Eunos Cosmo from the 90's. Basically a 2+2 luxury car sporting the Skyactiv-R engine with a DCT/auto.

The other is indeed inspired by the RX-7, that one's a 2-seater manual tranny sports car. And that's probably what we're looking at here... as well as the more viable production car.

I like the idea of a Eunos Cosmo revival(especially since I'm a fan of the 90's Eunos Cosmo lol), but I don't think they've got the funds to pull that off... not to mention that nobody would really know it besides fanboys like me. But when you invoke the RX lettering though, you're guaranteed to distract the rotary fanboys and cause a few apex seals to break.

Falch

I think it looks great. What pricerange are we looking at though when it finally goes on sale in 2-3 years from now?

No Love

Banned
Concepts always come first, why the anger?

Also, as posted above, it will be very close to what you see now.

Because Mazda has been beating around the bush with a new RX car for the last decade. Sick of that shit. I'm not going to jerk my shit to some concept car teaser, I want the real deal. I want to see if Mazda has actually made a modern rotary in a modern chassis worth giving a shit about.

For the LS swap after someone forgets to check the oil level and kills the engine.

I like the cut of your jib.

Because Mazda has been beating around the bush with a new RX car for the last decade. Sick of that shit. I'm not going to jerk my shit to some concept car teaser, I want the real deal. I want to see if Mazda has actually made a modern rotary in a modern chassis worth giving a shit about.

Just take it as a car as art, and we'll see what comes later. Personally, I think it's sexy and it makes me happy about Mazda's design--can only hope production is close to it (har har).

No Love

Banned
I like the cut of your jib.

Just take it as a car as art, and we'll see what comes later. Personally, I think it's sexy and it makes me happy about Mazda's design--can only hope production is close to it (har har).

Ok, fine.

Here's some real ish to share with you guys.

ssplhnE.jpg

ne61WV8.jpg

7L3lvBY.jpg

My B5 S4. Already ordered some new parts for it. Really awesome, fun car. Sounds beautiful and it pulls hard even on 91.

I'd sum it up as "a German Evo." It's that kick-ass.

(That's my other German beauty off to the left lol)

GHG

Gold Member
Has anyone here had headlight fog before? How do you solve it?

My front passenger side headlight has gone all foggy on my x6 and it looks pretty shitty. Is this a simple fix I can do myself?

No Love

Banned

My front passenger side headlight has gone all foggy on my x6 and it looks pretty shitty. Is this a simple fix I can do myself?

It depends on how bad it is and how far gone it's become. I would suggest having a detailer handle it for you.

But, there's downsides: if you polish it out and cut a layer of the plastic, it can remove the UV protection and cause them to refog after it's wetsanded and polished.

^ Awesome!! I like it.

Thanks. The engine bay is dirty as fuck right now and it needs an alignment and stickier tires. I should repost the mod list with all of the new stuff I've learned of, like the retrofitted Morimoto projectors in the headlights that make night time driving glorious.

And believe it or not, I think it actually gets better MPG (not that I give a fuck) than my E39 lol!

Bandit1

You mean they're kind of glazed over on the outside or they have moisture on the inside?

lem0n

I understand your frustration, but man, have some faith in them! It's gonna look so good. I just hope the SKYACTIV-R will be reliable past 80k miles...

Rad B5 BTW

GHG

Gold Member
It depends on how bad it is and how far gone it's become. I would suggest having a detailer handle it for you.

But, there's downsides: if you polish it out and cut a layer of the plastic, it can remove the UV protection and cause them to refog after it's wetsanded

Ok cool, will take it to someone to have a look this weekend then..

You mean they're kind of glazed over on the outside or they have moisture on the inside?

Looks like moisture on the inside but not too sure. It's dry to touch on the outside, hasn't rained here for about 4/5 months but we have had high humidity.

Bandit1

Ok cool, will take it to someone to have a look this weekend then..

Looks like moisture on the inside but not too sure. It's dry to touch on the outside, hasn't rained here for about 4/5 months but we have had high humidity.

Hmm.. Yeah probably best to have someone take a look at it.

lem0n

Your headlight has a gasket in between the housing and the clear lens. You could probably do it yourself if the whole headlight assembly can come out of the car without too much trouble.

I know its a concept but the side profile is fucking sick on this "RX-9"

I came.

I think it's rad, but there are features to it that make it too clearly unfeasible for production, like the very low headlights and hoodline, the very low roofline and the obscenely long hood (what good is that with a rotary?). I imagine the cab will be taller, more forward, and the nose will come up substantially (pedestrian safety standards).

Basically...it'll look more like an FD RX-7, which isn't really a bad thing, is it?

I do love how it has meaty tires. Most concepts throw rubberbands on gaudy rims, this clearly has performance tires with solid sidewalls, and I dig the look.

TylerD

Ok, fine.

Here's some real ish to share with you guys.

My B5 S4. Already ordered some new parts for it. Really awesome, fun car. Sounds beautiful and it pulls hard even on 91.

I'd sum it up as "a German Evo." It's that kick-ass.

(That's my other German beauty off to the left lol)

Sick man, did you get rid of the e39 M5?

I want to know your current stable.

No Love

Banned
Sick man, did you get rid of the e39 M5?

I want to know your current stable.

Hey man! Yeah I did, but I plan to buy another sometime. Right now I have a mint E39 530i and my B5 S4. I also have 4 other cars I'm flipping but haven't got around to yet.

Anion

I'm thinking of getting my headlight painted gloss black and getting the yellow reflector removed. Anyone know if this is hard, especially to reseal the headlight later?
Or how much it might cost at a shop?

No Love

Banned
I'm thinking of getting my headlight painted gloss black and getting the yellow reflector removed. Anyone know if this is hard, especially to reseal the headlight later?
Or how much it might cost at a shop?

Depending on the headlight it's not that hard. Usually you bake the headlight in the oven to get the glue soft, pull it apart, and take out the insides. I Plastidipped the inside of my Evo headlights and did a TSX projector retrofit.

I would take it to a professional though if you want 100% guaranteed results.

What is the big deal about rotary engines? My dad-in-law liked his old RX7 but really didn't like the whine and constant heat in the cabin which was common with my co-workers old RX8 (the drivetrain/shaft) was right in the middle and kept the car toasty. Also the MPG and constant thirst for oil. I thought the whine from the RX8 sounded cool but I don't think I would want to drive it.

What is the big deal about rotary engines? My dad-in-law liked his old RX7 but really didn't like the whine and constant heat in the cabin which was common with my co-workers old RX8 (the drivetrain/shaft) was right in the middle and kept the car toasty. Also the MPG and constant thirst for oil. I thought the whine from the RX8 sounded cool but I don't think I would want to drive it.

Those "Brrrrraaaappppp bbbbrrrraaappppp" sweet sounds when you get on it. That's what's up with them. I always love hearing them (and driving them when I get the chance) out on the track.

The downside is the general maintenance of the engines. You can make it simple by getting rid of a lot of the vacuum lines and going single turbo.

Anion

Depending on the headlight it's not that hard. Usually you bake the headlight in the oven to get the glue soft, pull it apart, and take out the insides. I Plastidipped the inside of my Evo headlights and did a TSX projector retrofit.

I would take it to a professional though if you want 100% guaranteed results.
Ah thanks man. I can work with mechanical parts but painting anything...isn't my forte lol. I'll probably see what a few shops here in Pittsbugh give me for a quote

This

No Love

Banned
New throttle body boot came in, just installed it... ah yes, no more popping off and no more massive boost leak through the rip in the old one. Seems to be holding 22 psi, I did a few rips down the street by my house (it's awesome for testing, it's all blocked off since it's an in constuction upscale community) and no pipes or anything blew off.

Now I just have to install all the new t-bolt clamps when they come in and I can start thinking about E85.

Notice how everyone literally stopped what they're doing when this 4-rotor FD RX-7 drove in?

Let's ignore the fact that Mazda is the only Japanese company to ever win a Le Mans race in '91, consequently getting rotary engines banned by the FIA in '92. Let's ignore the fact that the FD RX-7 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. And lastly, let's ignore the fact that Mazda is the only car company in the entire planet still interested in rotaries.

That's why the Mazda rotaries are a big deal.

I know I'm waxing poetic, especially since I'm kind of a rotary fanboy, but basically, the rotary is one of those things that you either get it or you don't.

The reputation it gets for being unreliable stems from the fact that most owners don't know how to properly maintain their rotaries. It's a car that you have to really adore and treat right. In return, you get the loud high-revving, dorito-looking goodness.

And conveniently, Jalopnik just posted an article appreciating the 1st generation FB RX-7 and it talks about why it's great... you should read it as well.

lem0n

NoRéN;183345299 said:
Are fuel system cleaners legit? My neighbor asked me but I have no idea and now I'm curious myself.
I have never noticed a difference before and after a cleaner.

2SeeKU

NoRéN;183345299 said:
Are fuel system cleaners legit? My neighbor asked me but I have no idea and now I'm curious myself.

Depends on the car and the cleaner. Two cars l've owned, WRX and RX8, it's been recommended (and is part of the maintenance schedule) by the manufacturer.

NoRéN;183345299 said:

Just use Chevron Techron gas for a month or two.

Apparently doing it before an oil change will help break the deposits and it'll go out with the oil when you drain it.

That said, I've never noticed any difference lol. Then again, I'm not even sure how you can tell so eh.

The difference between being on a forum for new cars and a form for old cars.

New Cars:
Everyone is doing cosmetic mods.

Old Cars:
Everyone is bitching about fixing stuff.

lem0n

The difference between being on a forum for new cars and a form for old cars.

New Cars:
Everyone is doing cosmetic mods.

Old Cars:
Everyone is bitching about fixing stuff.

Unless of course you're on a modern Dodge/Chrysler forum and they're bitching about fixing their 2012 Avengers

Top Bottom