• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I'd be careful about some of the advice you get in this thread regarding cars and such. Some are highly impartial to specific brands, or the cars they own, and often throw facts, figures, data, professional reviews, reports etc to the wind, in order to champion pre determined preferences. It's almost like console fanboy wars at times. I've also learnt that when some use terms like "garbage" or "trash" to describe cars, engines, brands etc that are otherwise globally revered or commended, you're sometimes best just ignoring such opinions altogether, as it's often little more than unhelpful hyperbole.

.... .... ....

Ultimately, the final advice I'd give is for you to just head to the garages and test drive all the cars you've shortlisted, however time consuming it may be. There is literally no better way to gauge your own preferences than that. Test them how you'd use them, e.g. the local routes, roads etc you use most, and also take along those who are likely to be the future passengers in your vehicle, whether in the rear or whatever, to gauge their thoughts as well (on rear comfort, space etc). The Garages might try to entice you to buy on the day with deals etc, but I'd hold out until you've test driven all your faves.

Wow, thank you for your advice. I'm planning on test driving the cars, too. I think I've excluded the Mercedes C class. So it's down to the BMW 3 series vs Jaguar XE.

I don't know why I didn't consider it earlier, but what do people here think of the Tesla Model S? I'm planning on test driving it as well, but I don't know anyone who actually owns one.

I'm looking forward to test driving these 3 cars. I haven't looked into the Infiniti models yet, but that'll most likely be later in the week when I've a bit more time.

psylah

My pal's WRX looks famazing, even better in person.

qsnQcm7.jpg

Did he learn photography from Super Street circa 1999?

Makki

iEusd0B.png

7600 miles, excellent condition. Paid $26k. Private party is about $1k higher.

The taxes are always a loss; I never include these in calculating depreciation.

My money bags ouch! ...I paid 23k for mine... not as bad but it's probably because of the HID lights and dual climate control on this model.

lWq4K7c.jpg

burgerdog

Haha yeah. Release Series 1.0, Release Series 2.0. It's the silly body kit and exhaust thing. Someone here has one.

So that's what it is, it's the one that says TRD between the exhausts. I kid you guys not, there's a house on my way to work that has 3 FR S, two are exactly the same, they have the same paint color and really bad slanted wheels. The other one is an FR S RS.

why does the Camaro SS sell for $40k+ and yet a Mustang GT can be had for high $20s?

this new SS is obviously a better performer, but has the price disparity always been this large?

mkenyon

Banned
why does the Camaro SS sell for $40k+ and yet a Mustang GT can be had for high $20s?

this new SS is obviously a better performer, but has the price disparity always been this large?
The GT Premium is more comparable outside of performance, and the MSRP is $36,000.

And, the GT's MSRP is $32k.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yeh that makes sense. I cant find where I saw the $28k price now.

I dunno what to make of american muscle pricing tbh.

The used market is pretty crazy. You can get a V8 2015 mustang, used with low miles, for $28K pretty easily. That's some great performance for the price, even if the new Camaro is better in almost every way.

matmanx1

So in my continuing adventures of first time car buying/research I decided to pop by some local lots just down the street from me to see what they had in my range/in general. Test drove two cars. 2013 Nissan Sentra SL. Highest trim level and already down to 13.5k. Are nissans that bad at depreciation? That being said, It was a comfortable ride, I liked how it handled and I really liked it for what it was. Brakes seemed super sensitive but something I could get used to, and probably feel so different because of how bad my current car's are. Afterwards I drove a 2015 Toyotta Corolla. Baseline model.

...Holy shit that car felt cheap. Everything about it just felt like it was basically lowest quality. Like the only decent thing was the size of the infotainment system screen, but even then that didn't impress especially seeing how it all fit together. I mean the car was one I was only remotely thinking about because of how common it is for first time buyers but... damn. The acceloration on the free way didn't feel too bad but turning corners and the handling in general just felt completely lifeless. Like the car exists to get you from point A to point B and not care one whit about anything else. And I get that its supposed to be an easy entry level car but.. I just walked away from that car completely disappointed.

Small, fuel efficient cars are not really in demand right now so prices are soft on them and depreciation is likewise a steep curve. My office mate just bought a 2014 Versa Note with like 24k miles on it for about $11,000 and it basically looks brand new. The Versa is Nissan's lowest end car with the Sentra one step above it. If you want a car in this category then a gently used Sentra, Corolla, Civic, etc can be had very cheaply right now.

I am not surprised the Corolla disappointed you. It's been doing that to many people for years. As you said, it exists to get people from point A to point B as reliably as possible. Driving pleasure was nowhere in that car's DNA (and indeed, seems to be sorely lacking in many Toyota products). Nissan's, in my opinion (and my family has owned several Altimas, Sentras and one G37, which is an Infiniti but still made by Nissan) are much more appealing to operate.

One thing to look out for though, most small cars with auto transmissions today are using CVT (continuously variable) type gear boxes and they really suck a lot of the fun out of the acceleration process. That may or may not be a factor for you in your purchase decision.

mr2xxx

Banned
How's the car max extended warranty? I stumbled upon some jalopnik article and the guy recommending them for unreliable cars since they cover everything outside of wear and tear items. Seems like an intresting idea and I was looking at a manual 09 BMW 335i with 60k miles for 19k.

Wow, thank you for your advice. I'm planning on test driving the cars, too. I think I've excluded the Mercedes C class. So it's down to the BMW 3 series vs Jaguar XE.

I don't know why I didn't consider it earlier, but what do people here think of the Tesla Model S? I'm planning on test driving it as well, but I don't know anyone who actually owns one.

I'm looking forward to test driving these 3 cars. I haven't looked into the Infiniti models yet, but that'll most likely be later in the week when I've a bit more time.
What's your commute like? If I were in the market for those cars, I would go with the Model S, since it has the right balance of aesthetics and performance, and I wouldn't want to deal with getting gas anymore. It's quite a bit costlier than the other cars you're looking at, though, isn't it?

Makki

How's the car max extended warranty? I stumbled upon some jalopnik article and the guy recommending them for unreliable cars since they cover everything outside of wear and tear items. Seems like an intresting idea and I was looking at a manual 09 BMW 335i with 60k miles for 19k.

That guy is the textbook definition of attention whoring lol. Anyway, the warranty is good if you buy an unreliable car that requires constant maintenance, which really makes no sense to me since why would you buy one? That Land Rover he got was horrible with repairs and the new Aston, which is the dumbest idea ever to do what he's doing since after he rakes up miles it will be worthless, has already been down twice.

I would just buy a car based on forum feedback and an inspection, if they are reliable you will not see a lot of major problems or a FAQ with 20 guides on how to prevent your engine from blowing.

mr2xxx

Banned
That guy is the textbook definition of attention whoring lol. Anyway, the warranty is good if you buy an unreliable car that requires constant maintenance, which really makes no sense to me since why would you buy one? That Land Rover he got was horrible with repairs and the new Aston, which is the dumbest idea ever to do what he's doing since after he rakes up miles it will be worthless, has already been down twice.

I would just buy a car based on forum feedback and an inspection, if they are reliable you will not see a lot of major problems or a FAQ with 20 guides on how to prevent your engine from blowing.

Are the 335i's that bad or are you just throwing out a random RX7 jab?

I always laugh at the people on the Miata forum I visit who won't even let their cars see rain... It depends on the person and the car, but at some point a garage queen just becomes the antithesis of everything enjoyable about cars and mechanics.

Yeah, I don't understand this mentality in the Miata forums. I wash my car once a month, wax every 3 months and clay twice a year and the paint still looks fnkcing immaculate for a 10 year old car.

But I especially hate those geriatrics who spend all day in the forums and tell us busy people to DIY it instead of taking it to a mechanic/dealership.

7600 miles, excellent condition. Paid $26k. Private party is about $1k higher.

The taxes are always a loss; I never include these in calculating depreciation.

So why does it depreciate that fast?

I know there isn't really a used market for low-powered sports cars. But at the same time, a majority of the 1st owners are holding on to their cars so they technically should be "rare" thus high value... or am I just thinking of all this the wrong way?

It's actually kinda tempting to pick up a under $15K FRS right now lol.

ameratsu

I know there isn't really a used market for low-powered sports cars. But at the same time, a majority of the 1st owners are holding on to their cars so they technically should be "rare" thus high value... or am I just thinking of all this the wrong way?

There isn't? Seems like miatas, 240s, and old rxes around here are all subject to the drift tax and even shitty examples are worth more than seems reasonable.

There isn't? Seems like miatas, 240s, and old rxes around here are all subject to the drift tax and even shitty examples are worth more than seems reasonable.

Depends on where you live.

Here in DFW, all I see are Miata's but even then I'm starting to see less examples of them... it's either trashed Miata's spanning all generations, or barely used examples that still cost way too much. 240's have been riced to hell and back that finding a clean example is like finding Jesus printed on your loaf of bread. RX-7/8's are still kinda around, but it's either FC's or autotragic 8's that nobody obviously wants.

Once kids are finished smashing them into walls, and "doing it for the gram" clean examples will be expensive. I'm all about paying for a well maintained older car. The problem is people are expecting the world, when their car is a bag of crap.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Small, fuel efficient cars are not really in demand right now so prices are soft on them and depreciation is likewise a steep curve. My office mate just bought a 2014 Versa Note with like 24k miles on it for about $11,000 and it basically looks brand new. The Versa is Nissan's lowest end car with the Sentra one step above it. If you want a car in this category then a gently used Sentra, Corolla, Civic, etc can be had very cheaply right now.

I am not surprised the Corolla disappointed you. It's been doing that to many people for years. As you said, it exists to get people from point A to point B as reliably as possible. Driving pleasure was nowhere in that car's DNA (and indeed, seems to be sorely lacking in many Toyota products). Nissan's, in my opinion (and my family has owned several Altimas, Sentras and one G37, which is an Infiniti but still made by Nissan) are much more appealing to operate.

One thing to look out for though, most small cars with auto transmissions today are using CVT (continuously variable) type gear boxes and they really suck a lot of the fun out of the acceleration process. That may or may not be a factor for you in your purchase decision.

The current frontrunner for the cars I'm looking at is the Mazda 3 by a wide margin so take that as you will haha. Was mostly trying those out just since the dealerships were so close. For some reason the only dealers that have used Mazdas are in the city and not in the suburbs so I have a 40 min drive ahead of me for that.

Many people hold onto these for a year or so and then jump into something more powerful as soon as they can afford it. There's a glut of them on the used market and new ones aren't moving that quickly either.

A co-worker dumped his FR-S after four months. Said his girl got tired of crawling in and out of the passenger seat.

It's actually kinda tempting to pick up a under $15K FRS right now lol.

As long as it's not someone else's science project.

Evo X

ya ya everyone's jelly

:p

I know you didn't mean it like that

I was actually referring to the Hypercar trio, which have nearly doubled in value, along with super rare stuff like GT3RS, 458 Speciale, etc., but yeah the GT4 shouldn't be too bad on depreciation. :D

I know a guy that drove a 991 GT3 for nearly two years and just sold it for MSRP.

How much of a premium could you make on yours?

Never thought about it as that isn't why I ordered the car, but could easily flip it for $20K over sticker before I take delivery because I optioned the 918 Spyder carbon buckets, which are quite rare.

Don't even need limited edition Porsches. 996 and 997 Turbos values are holding up really well still.

What? 996 Turbo values are in the shitter, which is why I think it's one of the best performance car bargains in the world right now. A clean X50 996 Turbo that originally went for nearly $150K can be had for ~$45K nowadays.

It's silly in the sense that it's pointless on a car that slow. It looks really nice, for sure. But it's absolutely pointless.

I thought you were exaggerating, so I looked it up and you're right. Not a single performance upgrade, just pointless visual shit.

They even added quad exhaust tips to it. lmao.

Now, I am not against special edition cars that add visual flair, but the car should at least have the balls to back it up.

That body kit also costs $5K more than a regular FRS, bringing the MSRP to almost $32K. What a joke.

Just for comparison, the Club Package for the new MX5 also costs about $5K extra, but adds Bose audio system, 17in BBS wheels with better rubber, Bilstein suspension, Brembo brakes, limited slip differential, tower brace, front air dam, and rear lip spoiler.

An incredible value compared to that "Release Series" bullshit. Hope Toyota's new CEO turns the company back towards what it used to be.

What? 996 Turbo values are in the shitter, which is why I think it's one of the best performance car bargains in the world right now. A clean X50 996 Turbo that originally went for nearly $150K can be had for ~$45K nowadays.

Odds are pretty good those are going to be coming back up as well.

SummitAve

Banned
anyone here running snow tires on a RWD car?

Yep running steelies with Yokohama ig52c's on my Miata up here on Minnesota. Not sure how a more powerful or heavier car would do, but I've had no issues thus far. It's my first time running dedicated snows. Wondering if they are overkill and curious to see if I could have just gotten by with some nice all seasons, which is all I've used for fwd cars.

Rengoku

What I mean is they've bottomed out, and are likely to go up. If someone is looking for a car that will hold its value, now is the time to buy one of these.

mkenyon

Banned
What I mean is they've bottomed out, and are likely to go up. If someone is looking for a car that will hold its value, now is the time to buy one of these.
It looks like they've already started to go back up. I've been watching them for about 6 months, and they're already getting into the 50-60k range for mileage that was going for 45k.

Ty4on

Check this out if you haven't already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBdOE2z4O4 Everyday Driver with their long-term FR-S in the Utah winter with lots of snow.

That confidence comment rings very true with me. I find cars that err too much on understeer very unsettling because you never know if you'll be able to get around the corner or have the control to straighten it out should something happen. Similarly smaller, more maneuverable cars also feel a lot better and they're surprisingly willing to waggle their tail. I wish there was some ice driving where I live because you really get to feel how the car behaves at much safer speeds. Feeling the rear step out is also very addicting...
I sadly don't have any experience with them, but I think - especially with an LSD - that RWD can be better than FWD in the snow. The weight transfers to the rear axle up a hill which can make FWDs a challenge. The trick is to reverse up tricky hills in an FWD cars, but that's obviously not very practical. Aggressive traction control systems also make hills a pain by cutting power the moment it senses a slip angle.
AWD is nice, but don't think you can't get stuck on if you don't have LSDs and it's certainly no replacement for winter tires. When the first snow came I skid backwards down a lot of hills in an AWD car because it had worn winter tires.

Edit: It is quite fascinating how places that get a lot of snow don't really struggle with it, it's the places that get irregular snow and where snow tires are oxymorons :p

Top Bottom