• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ruxtpin

Banned
Damn it car dealers. It's like they have an agreement in place to piss off potential customers as much as possible. Went to look at a Golf R and I didn't bring the GLI I'm going to eventually trade in and the guy wouldn't give that shit up.

FStop7

Banned
Damn it car dealers. It's like they have an agreement in place to piss off potential customers as much as possible. Went to look at a Golf R and I didn't bring the GLI I'm going to eventually trade in and the guy wouldn't give that shit up.

He wouldn't give what up? He wouldn't let you test drive it?

ruxtpin

Banned
He wouldn't give what up? He wouldn't let you test drive it?

I can't find any VW dealer that will let me test drive the Golf R, but I wanted to talk numbers so I could potentially put down a deposit and have them hold it for me until the end of the month - but he seemed unwilling to do that because I didn't have my trade-in with me. Who gives a shit guy?! Talk car price w/ me and we'll worry about the trade-in later.

I can't find any VW dealer that will let me test drive the Golf R, but I wanted to talk numbers so I could potentially put down a deposit and have them hold it for me until the end of the month - but he seemed unwilling to do that because I didn't have my trade-in with me. Who gives a shit guy?! Talk car price w/ me and we'll worry about the trade-in later.
Wtf? What if you bring the car and still trade it in somewhere else?

Agreed totally, but being so explicit for the reason they haven't drawn up plans for a turbo in specific is worthwhile to take note. I'd assume the crash rating is also part of the reason why they continually stick with top mounted intercoolers on WRXs, despite being objectively worse than front mounted intercoolers.

I wouldn't just wave my hand and say, "they'll figure it out". It could be a major roadblock given the BRZ's dimensions, and perhaps they have some other agreement with Toyota that prevents any major modifications to the body (or hood?) that would keep them from being able to adequately tackle the objective.

We can't disagree with the lead engineer just because what he says doesn't fit with our theory of what's holding back a high powered BRZ.

How does that work, actually? What effect does forced induction have on crash test ratings? Crash tests are at fixed speeds so engine power shouldn't really matter. Does having an intercooler somehow make it more dangerous for the driver? Or is it because the intercooler is more easily damaged in a low speed collision or something? More dangerous to pedestrians?

ruxtpin

Banned
Wtf? What if you bring the car and still trade it in somewhere else?

Yeah. I even told him as much, but he acted like the sale was dependent on me bringing my car in. After they gave me an extremely lowball "ballpark" offer. But he just kept going on and on... Like, "I really wish you'd brought your car in..." ... Well you know what you little twat, I didn't. So unwad your panties and work with me on selling the car you have on your lot.

ApharmdX

Banned

This is gross when dealers do this with what is essentially a souped-up economy car. I've heard of dealers doing this with STI's. Let your customers go on a test drive... I wouldn't buy from a dealer who wouldn't let me take a car out without doing some kind of BS.

Yeah. I even told him as much, but he acted like the sale was dependent on me bringing my car in. After they gave me an extremely lowball "ballpark" offer. But he just kept going on and on... Like, "I really wish you'd brought your car in..." ... Well you know what you little twat, I didn't. So unwad your panties and work with me on selling the car you have on your lot.
What if you bring it in but also bring in a CarMax trade-in estimate? Then if he won't at least match it, he still doesn't get the trade in.

Pterion

Just test drive an Audi S3. Couldn't find a R to drive, but test drove the S3. Heard that they are fairly similar, driving-wise.

ruxtpin

Banned
This is gross when dealers do this with what is essentially a souped-up economy car. I've heard of dealers doing this with STI's. Let your customers go on a test drive... I wouldn't buy from a dealer who wouldn't let me take a car out without doing some kind of BS.

Yeah, I got to test drive the STI at another dealer. That's the other car I was considering. If none of the VW dealers work w/ me I may just go back there. But VW guy tries to make it sound like I'm buying a Ferrari. Yeah, they're rarer than GTIs, but at the end of the day it's still just a fast Golf (and still a VW). I'm not joining an elite ownership club.

ruxtpin

Banned
What if you bring it in but also bring in a CarMax trade-in estimate? Then if he won't at least match it, he still doesn't get the trade in.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I used USAA's car selling service a few years back and got a fantastic offer when I sold my 370Z. I ran the offer by the VW dealer I bought my GLI from in Georgia and they told me no one would give that amount of money for the car (the 370Z). Took it to the dealership that made the offer and sold it the next day. Saved about four thousand dollars.

Edit: Sorry for double posting.

He doesn't want to give you numbers because he wants to play some sort of game with car price, interest rate, loan duration and trade in value to trick you into thinking you're getting a deal. If he resists talking numbers on the car itself without including trade-in it's a dead giveaway that he's trying to pull some shit.

mkenyon

Banned
How does that work, actually? What effect does forced induction have on crash test ratings? Crash tests are at fixed speeds so engine power shouldn't really matter. Does having an intercooler somehow make it more dangerous for the driver? Or is it because the intercooler is more easily damaged in a low speed collision or something? More dangerous to pedestrians?
Part of crash test ratings is how expensive things get when the crash happens. So let's say there's an intercooler on the front. A low speed front collision = some wrecked parts. On WRXs, since the intercooler is top mounted, a front end collision does not impact anything other than fenders, hood, and bumper.
That's what I'm planning on doing. I used USAA's car selling service a few years back and got a fantastic offer when I sold my 370Z. I ran the offer by the VW dealer I bought my GLI from in Georgia and they told me no one would give that amount of money for the car (the 370Z). Took it to the dealership that made the offer and sold it the next day. Saved about four thousand dollars.

Best insurance and banking company ever. I thank both my grandfathers every day for it. :p

matmanx1

What do you guys think about putting RS7 wheels on an S5? My car would look like this:

46733d1430401484t-rs5-black-wheels-img-20150429-00275.jpg

I like it. I think it looks sharp, for what its worth.

Anion

Lololol
Tell him to eat dust cause it's known that VW hasn't done well at all in the last few months...he isn't in the position to be all haughty.
What do you guys think about putting RS7 wheels on an S5? My car would look like this:
Do it, especially if the tires+wheels weigh less than the originals

Yeah, for me the BMW dealer that sold me my car actually recommended CarMax for my Accord. He was like, they can give me $4000 for it, but he was reasonable sure that CarMax would offer about $1500 more, since, "they love Hondas." Sure enough, CarMax gave me $5500. I really appreciated that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Q50 Red Sport 400 comes out 1st-2nd week of Spring (March 20th-April 1st).

I'll be visiting my dealership soon and probably start the process on the car. :)

Smokey

Today, BMW announced the all-new BMW M760i xDrive, the latest addition to the BMW M Performance line-up. With the introduction of the 2017 BMW M760i xDrive, the sixth generation BMW 7 Series adds the first M Performance TwinPower Turbo 12-cylinder to its offerings. The all-new BMW M760i xDrive combines luxurious driving, style, safety and innovative technologies while embodying M Performance dynamics with the integration of the first 12-cylinder gasoline engine with M Performance Twin Power Turbo technology. The BMW M760i xDrive will arrive early in 2017 and MRSP will be announced closer to launch.

The allure of the most powerful BMW V12 production engine.

The M Performance TwinPower Turbo 12-cylinder gasoline engine in the new BMW M760i xDrive has a displacement of 6,592 cc, developing 600 hp (preliminary figure) at 5,500 rpm and peak torque of 590 lb-ft from as low as 1,500 rpm. These performance figures enable the luxury sedan to accelerate from 0 to 62 mph in just 3.9 seconds (preliminary figure) and on to a governed top speed of 155 mph. During the development of the all-aluminum block, the engineers focused on maximizing rigidity while also minimizing weight. Using a closed- deck construction combined with bolts holding the cylinder head down on the bed plate of the crankcase, the engine ensures maximum stability on the cylinder liners. Double bolts on the main bearings with an additional connection to the side panels through threaded support bushes and bolts reduce the influence of lateral forces from the crankshaft on the crankcase. Iron-coated aluminum pistons, forged connecting rods assembled using the cracking process, and a forged crankshaft, ensure vibrations and noise are kept to an absolute minimum.

In addition, the M Performance TwinPower Turbo 12-cylinder gasoline engine boasts an array of special technical features allowing even better use of the potential provided by the engine’s design. M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology and High Precision Injection enable sharp and direct responses to even the slightest movement of the accelerator, a linear torque curve, exceptional efficiency and performance are all special traits of this new V12 engine.

M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology.

Joining the V12 under an engine cover bearing “M Performance” lettering are two mono- scroll turbochargers in a compact arrangement on the outside of the two rows of cylinders, each supplying six cylinders with compressed air. The turbochargers stand out with their high level of compressor and turbine efficiency, and their positioning provides the ideal platform for short, straight and flow-efficient connections between the exhaust ports and the turbochargers. Two sophisticated air-to-water intercoolers cool the compressed air coming from each of the turbochargers in order to maximize the density of the intake charge. An additional water pump feeds the separate intercooler coolant circuit, whose air-to-water heat exchangers are now positioned directly on the intake manifold for the first time.

M sport exhaust system delivers an emotionally rich V12 soundtrack.

In order to reduce backpressure, the M sport exhaust system are routed as straight as possible and are as large possible in diameter given packaging constraints. The evolution of the rear silencers and flap activation system allows a broad acoustic spread, supplying everything from maximum refinement to a full-bodied 12-cylinder soundtrack. The system adapts to the situation at hand and the driver’s preferences with an emotionally rich 12- cylinder soundtrack that accentuates the dynamic character of the BMW M760i xDrive. The catalytic converters of the 12-cylinder engine are equipped with cutting-edge exhaust gas sensors that quickly reach their optimum operating temperature thanks to their positioning close to the engine.

More at link
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225184

:O

What is the button next to the hazard lights?

I also don't understand why BMW still insists on having a manual temperature control on top of a digital one. It seems like the car would be fighting with itself if you set them opposite.

mkenyon

Banned
Alpha any word on the price of the Q50 with new engine? If imagine it'll be a bit more than the current Q50S?

I also don't understand why BMW still insists on having a manual temperature control on top of a digital one. It seems like the car would be fighting with itself if you set them opposite.
The manual one is just for the front two vents. The beauty is that you can set the temp to 70, and still have cool air blow on your face. Or have hot air blow on your cold face and hands without making it scorching inside.

I thought the same thing, but after spending a lot of time in BMWs, I love it.

All this BRZ/FT86 talk. I've been following a 2JZ build and MAN does that engine bay have space! I wish more shops in my area were up on this swap. It would make for an interesting project car for sure!

Part of crash test ratings is how expensive things get when the crash happens. So let's say there's an intercooler on the front. A low speed front collision = some wrecked parts. On WRXs, since the intercooler is top mounted, a front end collision does not impact anything other than fenders, hood, and bumper.

Main reason why the Evo 8-9's were not legal in Canada until recently. It failed the slow speed crash price ratings. Since it's gotten older, and parts have become cheaper, we can now import them from the US for use on our roads.

The manual one is just for the front two vents. The beauty is that you can set the temp to 70, and still have cool air blow on your face. Or have hot air blow on your cold face and hands without making it scorching inside.

That's actually the best explanation I've seen (and it looks like the new 7 series will have one for each vent). I've been keeping mine in the middle, since I didn't want the car to compete with itself, but now that it makes more sense to me, I'll probably use it more.

I need you guys to hand hold me through some shit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27212568940...99&_trkparms=gh1g=I272125689406.N36.S1.R1.TR5

I really want something like this. What could I negotiate this down to? I can pay $36K cash, but who do I make that out to? And do I get a bank loan for the rest or finance from the dealership?

Step 1 - Contact your bank/credit union. Get pre-approved and see what the maximum loan they will give you is. If pre-approved, they will give you a blank cheque you can write a number into and sign. - For used cars, there might be some caveats based on your bank. They will tell you the details.

Step 2 - Contact the dealership (from outside eBay if you want to save a couple of hundred dollars and want to show the dealer you are serious). Haggle them to a price you think is fair - look at eBay completed listings, nadaguides.com and Porsche forums (or ask Dave Inc).

Step 3 - Ask the dealership whom to make the payment out to. Make a 36k cashiers cheque to that payee. Fill in the loan pre-approval cheque for (final price -36k). Give both to dealer.

AlphaSnake

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27212568940...99&_trkparms=gh1g=I272125689406.N36.S1.R1.TR5

I really want something like this. What could I negotiate this down to? I can pay $36K cash, but who do I make that out to? And do I get a bank loan for the rest or finance from the dealership?

They're asking for 77K at the moment. Are you saying you'll pay 36K upfront and finance the rest? That's crazy to blow a wad of money like that on a car.

AlphaSnake

Getting a Jag and a Q50? I clearly chose the wrong line of work.

I currently have a Jag XF now and an M56S. In some way the Q50 would be a downgrade over the M56. Although this current tune I have on my car is pretty fucking bonkers - I had it done two days ago and holy shit the top-end power something I've never felt before in this car, as my previous tune was done for low-end and mid-range power, and the OEM tune is very eco friendly.

That's the door lock/unlock button, I'm pretty sure.

Alpha any word on the price of the Q50 with new engine? If imagine it'll be a bit more than the current Q50S?

Because it will compete against the BMW 340i M-Sport, Mercedes C450 AMG Sport, and Audi S4, it will certainly undercut each by at least 2K-3K and directly compete with the Jaguar XE-S. I mentioned it a few pages ago, it's likely going to be $44-45K. Official pricing has not been revealed yet.

The Q60 Red Sport 400 Coupe will likely be $48K to start.

Anion

Your putting 36k down in cash...you better get one heck of a good discount. Then again it's a Porsche dealership...so that will also be one heck of a challenge

Your putting 36k down in cash...you better get one heck of a good discount. Then again it's a Porsche dealership...so that will also be one heck of a challenge

After the initial portion of cash down to show that you're serious and have funds to back up the purchase, why would a brand associated dealership want an actual cash purchase? The more they finance the more profit they can make. Cash deals are only really enticing to small fries who don't have solid cash flow from finance deals already.

TylerD

My brother bought a 97 Z3 with 69k miles for 3k. Needs fresh paint but seems to be fine mechanically.

How screwed is he?

If he got a PPO by a shop that knows them? Probably not bad. If he took the word of the previous owner or random used car dealer? Royally. Have him plastidip the whole thing, matte purple or green.

Evo X

Nice choice. :)

Looks like a great car. Low mileage, good options, and certified until October 2019.

A little research told me the original sticker on it was $120,480.

If they are asking $74K, you can probably talk them down to $70K. Shouldn't be too hard given the location of the car. Sports cars don't really sell in the northeast region until it starts to get warmer.

Not a bad deal as that's $50,000 off a barely used vehicle. I think you should give the dealership a call tomorrow and speak with Alex Bocchi, the pre-owned sales manager. Tell him you are serious and make an offer. Ask them what the best rate they can give you on finance. I know people like to talk shit about dealerships, but sometimes they can give you a better rate than your own bank because of the volume of deals they do.

If you have excellent credit, you should have no problem getting approved.

How much of a down payment you make is entirely up to you. If you can secure a low rate, like 2.49%, that's pretty much free money so you can put less down if you are able to invest that $36K elsewhere. If that money is just going to sit in your savings account, then go ahead and put it in the car to lower your monthly payments.

What are your plans with the car? How long are you planning on keeping it? It's already taken the majority of the depreciation hit, so it shouldn't be a bad purchase in case you decide to flip it in a few years.

matmanx1

Q50 Red Sport 400 comes out 1st-2nd week of Spring (March 20th-April 1st).

I'll be visiting my dealership soon and probably start the process on the car. :)

Oooh nice! Two new cars? Business must be good!

Getting a Jag and a Q50? I clearly chose the wrong line of work.

Haha, sort of what I was just thinking =)

Wait, what? You mean I've been doing something wrong all this time? I never use the auto adjust, only the manual and I've wondered why it felt like the dash vents felt like they were putting out air that was a different temp than the floor vents. Mind blown!

So why aren't we talking about how stunning the Volvo V90 is?

pe13f0924rwit8xoynxu.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/2017-volvo-v90-this-is-it-1758505591

Yeah it's fantastic. The best looking wagon in a long, long time (maybe ever) by my reckoning.

My brother bought a 97 Z3 with 69k miles for 3k. Needs fresh paint but seems to be fine mechanically.

How screwed is he?

Is he going to daily drive it or just have it for a fun car? The more he uses it the bigger drain on the wallet that it will be. I think those Z3's are fairly simple mechanically but BMW's still have high part costs and high labor rates. It's nearly 20 years old and it's German so stuff will be worn out and will be expensive to replace and fix. As long as he's ok with that it will probably be a really fun car.

AlphaSnake

they are asking 74K, yes that's what I am planning, what's a better way?

Use that money as a cushion instead, and finance the car. In the event it gets totaled (God forbid), you're not out $36K + payments. Instead you'd only be out the payments made. You simply never know what kind of price valuation you'd get from the insurance company in that kind of event. So don't risk it.

Use that money as a cushion instead, and finance the car. In the event it gets totaled (God forbid), you're not out $36K + payments. Instead you'd only be out the payments made. You simply never know what kind of price valuation you'd get from the insurance company in that kind of event. So don't risk it.

Good advice. Just shoot for the lowest financing rate as possible and do something else with the money that might make a bit of cash in the meantime. The market is taking a dump right now so if you throw the rest of that down payment in the market in a little bit you could actually come out well ahead.

what sort of tires you use?

I'm running Michelin PA4s on my car but my intent was to get something to get me by in case it snows, and not to daily it in snow. This way I have a more performance oriented winter tire.

Yokohama Iceguards.

Awesome in snow, terrible in rain. When it's 5-10C and it rains, you better be delicate.

Is he going to daily drive it or just have it for a fun car? The more he uses it the bigger drain on the wallet that it will be. I think those Z3's are fairly simple mechanically but BMW's still have high part costs and high labor rates. It's nearly 20 years old and it's German so stuff will be worn out and will be expensive to replace and fix. As long as he's ok with that it will probably be a really fun car.

Just a weekend project/fun car. His daily is a 16 WRX.

I really want to sell my 95 Integra and pick up a NB Miata...

Top Bottom