• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

mkenyon

Banned
What? There is no competition between the M2 and those two, no argument there. While obviously it doesn't look like a supercar like the F-Type and Cayman, saying that only enthusiasts will know is something special is not true. People take pictures all the time or they stop to take a look at my blue M235i even though it's not even a proper M. Let alone how they would react to a crazy wider and lower M2 with a face that looks like it's about to stab you, in long beach blue possibly.
If people stop to take pictures of your M235i, I have a feeling they're probably enthusiasts. Or at least fans of cars. :p

SliChillax

If people stop to take pictures of your M235i, I have a feeling they're probably enthusiasts. Or at least fans of cars. :p

It's a bright blue BMW, it gets attention :p I caught once a group of friends arguing whether it was an M3, M4 or M6. M235i doesn't even look half as good as those and people still can't tell the difference.

mkenyon

Banned
It's a bright blue BMW, it gets attention :p I caught once a group of friends arguing whether it was an M3, M4 or M6. M235i doesn't even look half as good as those and people still can't tell the difference.
People only have this argument when they care though.

I get what you're saying, and yeah, I'm sure people think, "fancy BMW". But most people have no fucking clue what an M4 or M6 is. But all people can look at a Cayman GTS and think, "that car is special".

Perhaps my use of the word, "enthusiast", was misplaced. I should have said, "people interested in performance cars".

*edit*

And also, for the record, I'm pushing my old man hard to pick one of these up with European Delivery. I'm pretty sure he's gonna cave.

SliChillax

they must not know much about cars to be honest.
That was the point I was trying to make.

People only have this argument when they care though.

I get what you're saying, and yeah, I'm sure people think, "fancy BMW". But most people have no fucking clue what an M4 or M6 is. But all people can look at a Cayman GTS and think, "that car is special".

Perhaps my use of the word, "enthusiast", was misplaced. I should have said, "people interested in performance cars".

*edit*

And also, for the record, I'm pushing my old man hard to pick one of these up with European Delivery. I'm pretty sure he's gonna cave.

Definitely agree that a Cayman looks more special. I used to drive a red Boxster last year, kept it for 3 months only but the attention the car got was crazy. It felt awful to be honest, didn't like it at all. I felt as if everyone was judging me.

mkenyon

Banned
LjSzAb8.gif

So I just read the GT350 is like the C7 Z06. Can't handle the track without overheating.

Numerous reports of cars going limp in 60 degree weather.

Apparently if you didn't get the Track Pack you shouldn't have expected to track the car as transmission and diff. fluids overheat with coolers which are included in the Track Pack.

SliChillax

So I just read the GT350 is like the C7 Z06. Can't handle the track without overheating.

Numerous reports of cars going limp in 60 degree weather.

Apparently if you didn't get the Track Pack you shouldn't have expected to track the car as transmission and diff. fluids overheat with coolers which are included in the Track Pack.

That's so disappointing to hear as the GT350 and Z06 are both some of my favourite cars at the moment. What's weird about the Z06 though is that the CTS-V has no problems whatsoever with cooling and it's basically the same engine and transmission in a heavier chassis with only 10 less hp.

SliChillax

An M2 with DCT, electric seats, sunroof and all options weighs 25 less than an M4 with carbon roof, manual transmission, lightweight manual seats and maybe carbon ceramic brakes. If the M2 had the option of a carbon roof, carbon ceramic brakes and the lightweight M seats that the M4 has then it wouldn't be that much of a bargain, it would cost as much as a base M4. Compare a fully specced M2 to a fully specced M4 with a sunroof and then make comparisons. My friend has an M4 and it is 1700kg with all the fluids because it has all useless options and a sunroof.

edit: M2 exhaust note shits on the M3/M4

All thanks to the single twin scroll turbo.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBqSRKhhFoX/

SliChillax

I read R&T's write up on the car early today and was shocked to learn that the car weighed the same as an M4. It's still great value, but should've been considerably lighter.

The M4 is really light though for its size. As I said above the M2 doesn't have a carbon roof option, lighter seats and lighter ceramic brakes. Since I'm getting one next year I'll be aiming to find a slightly used one with manual seats since the electric ones do not go as down as I'd like and they're also slightly heavier, no sunroof as it adds around 60 pounds to the top which is one of the worst places to add weight since it raises the center of gravity and dct since it will be daily driven and traffic sucks in my country. Hopefully by then there will be an aftermarket carbon roof for the M2, wondering how much it would cost?

Sure it could be lighter but how much would you have to sacrifice for that? I'm sure BMW tried their best within the price range that they're asking for the M2.

Anion

Well there's a point to that and he may be looking out for you. You may be able to get a better rate with a higher down payment. That said you really want to work with a bank or credit union for financing, not the dealer.
Ahh probably then. I had a different situation where I had the cash but I wanted to apply for a loan to build my credit history, so I guess he was just saying something like that as an alternative.
Hmm, that is interesting. Im sure its a hoot to drive though. For 50-60k as an "M" car, thats something special so it wouldnt stop me from buying it haha

SliChillax

Ford Focus SE or Volkswagen GTI?

Which is better for someone's first hatchback? Can't decide.

You mean ST or SE? Why would you choose a basic Focus over a GTI? It has less power, worse interior and in my opinion, looks uglier. If you meant the ST then I would suggest it over the GTI.

Atlas157

You mean ST or SE? Why would you choose a basic Focus over a GTI? It has less power, worse interior and in my opinion, looks uglier. If you meant the ST then I would suggest it over the GTI.

I'm leaning toward the GTI more than the Focus, and yeah I meant the SE. I'm getting pressured by my girlfriend to get the Focus because we'll be moving together in a few months so it's going to be our car.

Evo X

Damn, almost 3,500 lbs seems pretty heavy for a car that size. A base Cayman weighs 600lbs less. Even a 911 that's longer and wider with 4 seats weighs 450lbs less. How does that happen? They are just as luxurious if not more so than the Bimmer and I'm not aware of them using any exotic materials like carbon fiber or titanium until you step up to a GT or Turbo model.

On that note, I also don't understand how the F Type is so damn heavy too. Isn't the body of that 100% aluminum? An R coupe weighs almost 900lbs more than the GT4.

SliChillax

It's not that small, it also has usable rear seats. My fat friends fit very well in the back seats of my M235i. People forget that it's the M4 that's light for its class, carbon roof, carbon prop shaft, lightweight seats. People call for the beloved E46 M4 and the good old times when that car was 1500kg (no driver) with no options. This argument is useless without actual facts. We need to wait for owners to weigh their cars and name the options that they have.

matmanx1

Damn, almost 3,500 lbs seems pretty heavy for a car that size. A base Cayman weighs 600lbs less. Even a 911 that's longer and wider with 4 seats weighs 450lbs less. How does that happen? They are just as luxurious if not more so than the Bimmer and I'm not aware of them using any exotic materials like carbon fiber or titanium until you step up to a GT or Turbo model.

On that note, I also don't understand how the F Type is so damn heavy too. Isn't the body of that 100% aluminum? An R coupe weighs almost 900lbs more than the GT4.

Not that my 128i is anywhere even close to the same league in performance but the weight of my car is one of the best things about it. ~3100 lbs is not exactly go kart territory but compared to the G37 and the IS250 that I owned before it it feels light and athletic.

If there's one knock I have against almost all of BMW's M cars lately is that they all seem to have gained some size and weight, which is not what you want in a performance car. BMW is responding to the market, especially in the USA, which seems to want larger, roomier cars and I completely understand that. But it still is not preferable from a performance stand point.

The M2 DOES look like a great value for the money and based on the above video, it sounds really good too. So far, it looks like it is a car for an enthusiast to be excited about.

Anybody recommend a transport company.
I would prefer a enclosed trailer. This would be from southern California to Northern California.

gotten 1 quote and it was for $1600...that's pretty dayam expensive....

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

It's 75% aluminum. It's heavy because of the chassis reinforcements making it one of the most rigid and strongest frames on the market, in addition to the motors being fairly heavy and coupled with superchargers. Plus, a higher level of refinement to keep the tire roar down in the cabin.

It's not that small, it also has usable rear seats. My fat friends fit very well in the back seats of my M235i.

Great point. When I looked at the 228i I had our daughters in tow (9 and 12 at the time) and they fit in the back with the front seats adjusted for the missus and I (5'7" and 6'). Was amazed for a car that looks so small on the outside.

Ford Focus SE or Volkswagen GTI?

Which is better for someone's first hatchback? Can't decide.

Assuming you mean Focus ST. (IMO)the GTI is hands down the better car. The ST feels faster but you're fighting with the unrefined controls and the road noise is higher.

The GTI also offers both two or four doors and an automatic if you need one.

AlphaSnake

My friend sat in the back of an M235i no problem, as well. He's 5'11 and 200lbs. The owner of the car (who was in the passenger seat) is also 5'11 and still had plenty of room up front. I was driving it (friend brought it over to my house after he bought it).

Anion

I'm leaning toward the GTI more than the Focus, and yeah I meant the SE. I'm getting pressured by my girlfriend to get the Focus because we'll be moving together in a few months so it's going to be our car.
Uhhhhh

Get the GTI then, the SE is not near to the fun factor of the GTI lol

boltz

What about the Focus does your gf like more than the GTI? For a driver's car, the GTI hands down wins vs the SE, but if you are questioning it, there must be something about the GTI your gf doesn't like.

AlphaSnake

Look man...it's your money and it's your car. She's your girlfriend and not your wife. You pick the car YOU want.

Oh, you really did mean the SE.

General rule: the amount she is contributing to the car financially is the amount of input she has in the decision.

Evo X

Not that my 128i is anywhere even close to the same league in performance but the weight of my car is one of the best things about it. ~3100 lbs is not exactly go kart territory but compared to the G37 and the IS250 that I owned before it it feels light and athletic.

Yeah, the relatively light weight of ~2,900lbs of the Cayman is definitely noticeable from other cars in it's class. It's not just the number though, but the mid-engine balance that helps too I'm sure. The best part is that it doesn't sacrifice, luxury, refinement, or safety to get to that number. Sure, you can buy an even lighter car like an Alfa 4C, but it's interior is so damn spartan by comparison.

Anybody recommend a transport company.
I would prefer a enclosed trailer. This would be from southern California to Northern California.

gotten 1 quote and it was for $1600...that's pretty dayam expensive....

Hey, if it's a fun car, I could deliver it for you. Wanted to make the drive up the pacific coast anyway. :D

Plus, a higher level of refinement to keep the tire roar down in the cabin.

Yeah, but all of the efforts by the engineers to create a more refined cabin are sadly undone by that insane exhaust. lol

Speaking of insane, the SVR has been officially unveiled. 575HP, 0-60 in 3.5s, and 200mph top speed. $126K for the coupe and $129K for the convertible.

2jaguarftypesvrfeb16.jpg

AlphaSnake

Yeah, but all of the efforts by the engineers to create a more refined cabin are sadly undone by that insane exhaust. lol

Speaking of insane, the SVR has been officially unveiled. 575HP, 0-60 in 3.5s, and 200mph top speed. $126K for the coupe and $129K for the convertible.

2jaguarftypesvrfeb16.jpg

Sadly? Sadly!? The fact that I get to hear that glorious exhaust and nothing else is a triumph more than anything else. It makes me want to pledge and start singing God Save the Queen.

Besides, you can always tone it way down by shutting off the valve and keeping it out of dynamic, anyway.

SliChillax

I don't like how the SVR looks. It's not ugly I just prefer the other versions more, they look more beautiful. Also, I know its's more expensive but I'd rather have the AMG GT-S. That car in person looks like sex. Jaguar stop wasting time on the F-Type, you already had an R version. Get to work on a XE SVR already.

burgerdog

Carscoops is reporting that they slashed the prices of the 2017 F Type models. Jaguar staying aggressive, I like that. They should keep that up so that I end up in an S version down the line :lol Maybe!

Well, the Chaser (JZX100) is coming out of the storage place in Japan, and being placed in the container this week. It should leave the docks in two or so weeks, and land in BC in 4 weeks time. Then it's being trucked across Canada to Ontario (Toronto). That's another 3-4 days I was told.

I can't wait to get my hands on it!
I wouldn't be able to sleep lol

matmanx1

Sadly? Sadly!? The fact that I get to hear that glorious exhaust and nothing else is a triumph more than anything else. It makes me want to pledge and start singing God Save the Queen.

Besides, you can always tone it way down by shutting off the valve and keeping it out of dynamic, anyway.

Yeah man. The F-Type scores major points with me because of its looks AND its insane exhaust note. That's a pretty winning combination in my book!

In other news, we've cleared a few hurdles at my house and I am now ready to begin test driving stuff in preparation for "Car Number Three". As I previously stated, car 3 will most likely be a truck or 4x4 but there's an outside chance I could just buy a larger, roomier car for times when we need more space (the wife has an 06 Altima and I drive the 09 128i so neither of our cars are large).

I have to work Saturday for the first part of the day but when I leave work I have my eyes on a V6 Tacoma, a GX470 and a GS430 (which is definitely the oddball in this group) for test drives if they are still available and nothing comes up.

In a perfect world I would narrow down my selection based on test drives at local dealers and then try to find a private party selling a well maintained vehicle to make the actual purchase. We'll see how it goes.

TylerD

The part pile of projects for "The Refreshening" of my car is growing:

3 power steering hoses (1 free bonus from ECS Tuning because the right BMW part number was stamped on the wrong part but still fits my car), power steering reservoir, crankcase ventilation valve and tubes, engine mounts, transmission mounts, tierods and boots, Z4M rear trailing arm bushings and poly limiters from Vorshlag Racing, Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts + reinforcement plates, front strut mounts + reinforcement plates, new spring pads all around, 2 sizes of silicone vacuum hoses.

I'm waiting for KONI's sale to pick up some adjustable sport yellow shocks and struts.

I picked up an engine support bar from HF so I could easily do the engine mounts and it gives me what I need to do the oil pan gasket as well. For 57 bucks, i'll take it.

It's like adult Lego!

SliChillax

That looks like a riced up version of the Huayra. They should have gone all carbon, those different carben panels on a silver body look weird.

Evo X

That looks like a riced up version of the Huayra. They should have gone all carbon, those different carben panels on a silver body look weird.

WTF?

The definition of rice is cosmetic additions that have no performance benefit. This is the complete opposite of that. Everything there has a purpose. Despite the paint job, this has far more carbon fiber than the regular Huayra, a new revision that is 50% lighter and 20% stronger than typical carbon fiber. The whole thing weighs less than 2,700lbs, which is remarkable given the cars size and the fact that it houses a twin turbo V12.

This car is built in the memory of Benny Caiola, Horatio Pagani's friend, mentor, and first customer. Even at a base price of $2.5 million, all 20 have been sold.

Besides, if anything is allowed to look crazy, it's a hypercar.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
WTF?

The definition of rice is cosmetic additions that have no performance benefit. This is the complete opposite of that. Everything there has a purpose. Despite the paint job, this has far more carbon fiber than the regular Huayra, a new revision that is 50% lighter and 20% stronger than typical carbon fiber. The whole thing weighs less than 2,700lbs, which is remarkable given the cars size and the fact that it houses a twin turbo V12.

This car is built in the memory of Benny Caiola, Horatio Pagani's friend, mentor, and first customer. Even at a base price of $2.5 million, all 20 have been sold.

Everything is awesome except the wing mirrors. Those look like something you'd borrow in Animal Crossing.

SliChillax

WTF?

I said it looks, not functions like a rice car. All those stickers on the side belong on a Civic, the wing althuogh functional looks horrible and the carbon fibre hood with the carbon fibre lines following the outer shape of the headlights looks like those carbon wraps they put on Civics. As I said, would have looked much much better if it was all carbon.
Edit: And what were they thinking with those cheap chinese looking front LED's in the front bumper?

Just saw a 2016 Mercedes Maybach in white on the road.

The presence on that car is something else.

Phantom is still king when it comes to road presence.

AlphaSnake

HOLY. SHIT. I saw a McLaren 675LT in Mantis Green. Owner is in the neighborhood across the street from mine. He drove like suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a pussy, though. He was going 55...in a 55!! Breh. I was going 60MPH trying to get him to catch up and snap a picture, but the guy was a total slug. At least he wasn't a show off, but come on man. I should've snapped pics as I was passing him, but I was too stunned by the car.

When I stopped looking back, I looked forward and I saw the Project 7 again. The guy daily drives the car.

I saw it yesterday. And saw it again today driving past me this time...and I was quick enough to snap it with both of us driving 70MPH and me looking directly at the road ahead.

I can't believe I managed to grab a near perfect shot without looking. I also can't believe how fast my G3's shutter and snap is too.

But I really would've preferred a shot of that 675LT.

Hey, if it's a fun car, I could deliver it for you. Wanted to make the drive up the pacific coast anyway. :D

It's slow, clunky and not much of a drivers car. It's such bull to drive...

but dayam...transporting seems to be not worth it for the distance. I guess I'll just fly then drive it back..

ameratsu

Anyone have tips on negotiating the best possible price for a used car?

I get the impression that in years past, dealers had a lot of margin built into used cars so that a buyer could haggle that price down and think they got a deal. Looking at autotrader and kijiji recently, things really don't seem that way anymore. Cars of a comparable spec are basically all the same price -- at most the variance is about 1k on a 25k car. The reasoning I've read for this on r/askcarsales and elsewhere is that advertising haggleable prices will garner no interest as everyone else is more or less advertising their "best" price from the onset. While this price may inch down as the car sits unsold (usually by a few hundred dollars at a time) it doesn't really represent much in terms of an actual discount over their asking price.

So in addition to this, I've read that dealers can be motivated to sell certain cars that remain on the lot for a long time (75-90 days), especially when these cars are not that desirable. Is this a holdover from car negotiating tactics of years past or is it still an actual thing? I mean, a few cars I've seen posted online have been from no-haggle dealerships. I assume that means they are more or less firm on price and market themselves from the customer service angle rather than having pricing flexibility.

As a final point, is it worth looking at typical wholesale prices for cars so I would have an idea of what a car would sell for at a dealer auction, and use that to inform my offer for a car that's remained unsold for a long period of time?

Yeah, the game has really changed recently, since dealers know we have access to research like Truecar.com, so they start near their lowest price now. There's still usually about $1k of wiggle room, though.

matmanx1

The part pile of projects for "The Refreshening" of my car is growing:

3 power steering hoses (1 free bonus from ECS Tuning because the right BMW part number was stamped on the wrong part but still fits my car), power steering reservoir, crankcase ventilation valve and tubes, engine mounts, transmission mounts, tierods and boots, Z4M rear trailing arm bushings and poly limiters from Vorshlag Racing, Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts + reinforcement plates, front strut mounts + reinforcement plates, new spring pads all around, 2 sizes of silicone vacuum hoses.

I'm waiting for KONI's sale to pick up some adjustable sport yellow shocks and struts.

I picked up an engine support bar from HF so I could easily do the engine mounts and it gives me what I need to do the oil pan gasket as well. For 57 bucks, i'll take it.

It's like adult Lego!

Well, the upside is that after you get all of your upgrades in the car should feel as good as new or even better! Good luck and good upgrading to you!

Top Bottom