• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

TylerD

Yeah the V90 is a really great design. I'm excited to officially see what the new XC60 will look like. Will probably be my girlfriend's new car and I'm sure it will look fantastic.

nitewulf

What are your plans with the car? How long are you planning on keeping it? It's already taken the majority of the depreciation hit, so it shouldn't be a bad purchase in case you decide to flip it in a few years.

Thanks for the advice, I called him and I have a test drive scheduled for next saturday, if the car is still there. If this happens, or another similar 911, I do plan to keep the car for a while. I'm not much of a flipper and I loved my last car and planned to keep it for a long time, but it got totaled while parked. I definitely want to keep the car for at least 10 years or more. When my family grows, I'll just get a small, efficient SUV for the heavy lifting.

Use that money as a cushion instead, and finance the car. In the event it gets totaled (God forbid), you're not out $36K + payments. Instead you'd only be out the payments made. You simply never know what kind of price valuation you'd get from the insurance company in that kind of event. So don't risk it.

That's great advice man, I didn't even think about it. Although it does depend on how much the monthly payments turn out to be, but I probably will pay less down and leave the rest of the money, a lot of it is in investments actually.

nib95

Banned
What is the button next to the hazard lights?

That's the door lock/unlock button, I'm pretty sure

The manual one is just for the front two vents.

It's actually a Drive Assistance button. Turns it on or off, and also brings up the different features it controls on the sat nav display, so you can individually pick and choose which you want on or off. It offers things like a lane departure warning (which vibrates your steering wheel when drifting lanes without indicators, at roughly 40mph or faster), or braking automatically when getting too close to a car or pedestrian (at varying degree's of severity depending on your speed and distance). Have it on the X5. It's a pretty decent option tbh, especially if you do a lot of late night, long distance journeys where drowsiness etc can kick in.

Not entirely sold on the looks of the M760i. That Volvo V90 looks great though.

Then no sweat. I bet it will be a really fun car to have around. What kind of Integra do you have currently?

Just a standard LS. Automatic (ew). Bought it right as I graduated from high school like 7 years ago and couldn't find a manual in good condition...so I settled for whatever I could find.

It's actually a Drive Assistance button. Turns it on or off, and also brings up the different features it controls on the sat nav display, so you can individually pick and choose which you want on or off. It offers things like a lane departure warning (which vibrates your steering wheel when drifting lanes without indicators, at roughly 40mph or faster), or braking automatically when getting too close to a car or pedestrian (at varying degree's of severity depending on your speed and distance). Have it on the X5. It's a pretty decent option tbh, especially if you do a lot of late night, long distance journeys where drowsiness etc can kick in.

Dang, I wish I had that. My dealer said it was super rare, so he had no cars with it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Ah, now that I look at the picture again, it's the exact little picture my M56S has. I'm pretty familiar with all of those gadgets, they're very useful for long trips. I use my sensors all the time in bumper-to-bumper traffic and longer drives to Palm Beach or Miami.

Funny that the door lock no longer sits in the center by the hazards like it has for such a long time and still does in other BMWs.

Anion

After the initial portion of cash down to show that you're serious and have funds to back up the purchase, why would a brand associated dealership want an actual cash purchase? The more they finance the more profit they can make. Cash deals are only really enticing to small fries who don't have solid cash flow from finance deals already.

Ah okay, then I have have been mistaken. The dealer I was talking with told me the more I can put down, the better my rate can be. I probably misunderstood him or he just wanted me to put all the money I had down. That's good to know though, I probably will finance the next car I get.

On a side note I went to the auto show and saw something really special....

ASTON MARTIN VULCAN! Its wide lol
Im uploading the pics so give me a minute or two
img_0109120417tz5k.jpg

img_011012043n7zwl.jpg

img_011412045mtb66.jpg

img_011712047t7ltu.jpg

img_011812049d3aaj.jpg

YES, 1st time I saw both of these alfas

Oh and random M2 lol. Didnt know they came out

Anion

Am I the only one who thinks the Alfa Giulia is ugly as sin? How was the M2 in person? Looks perfect in pictures to me.

I liked it a lot, small but it didn't look small tbh. Not that it was big, but like a good small size. I wouldn't buy it in white though, the lines kinda blended in too much. Overall, it does look fierce and I like that a lot. I'm not much of a BMW guy, but this is one car I would love to drive and have to be quite honest.

SliChillax

I liked it a lot, small but it didn't look small tbh. Not that it was big, but like a good small size. I wouldn't buy it in white though, the lines kinda blended in too much. Overall, it does look fierce and I like that a lot. I'm not much of a BMW guy, but this is one car I would love to drive and have to be quite honest.

I agree about the white part, I hate white cars in general. Long beach blue is the way to go with the M2. There's so many shades of blue depending on the lighting
0MFZC6n.jpg

Ah okay, then I have have been mistaken. The dealer I was talking with told me the more I can put down, the better my rate can be. I probably misunderstood him or he just wanted me to put all the money I had down. That's good to know though, I probably will finance the next car I get.

Well there's a point to that and he may be looking out for you. You may be able to get a better rate with a higher down payment. That said you really want to work with a bank or credit union for financing, not the dealer.

Chiester

Took the skyline to it's first cars and coffee yesterday morning.Cars still not legal yet, but I'm very close. Running a 30 day temporary permit at the moment. There were a total of 10 skylines that showed up. 1-R31 7-R32s and 2-R33s.
qnfsM7V.jpg

roDgcvu.jpg

Couple of other random shots (Sorry for the shitty quality. Wanted to try my cheap 7 year old DSLR I got for photography class)
FX25lzK.jpg

Sh66WOi.jpg

02nyGUM.jpg

GVjNsBH.jpg

grzcPqj.jpg

FGEhlKe.jpg

WUQiIAH.jpg

J-Rzez

Nice, got two dealerships battling it out for my trade and the new Focus RS. The one that's offering me a significantly better deal has the color and options i'm less interested in though of their allocation. : /

matmanx1

Am I the only one who thinks the Alfa Giulia is ugly as sin? How was the M2 in person? Looks perfect in pictures to me.

I have mixed feelings about the Giulia. Pictures can only show you so much but they never have the same impact as seeing the actual car in person. I certainly think it looks interesting.

Most modern BMW's have lost some of that classic simplicity in the way that they are shaped and and styled and the M cars are no exception. They have more lines and angles and that's just not my preference. In particular, the front of the M2 with it's two lower left and right openings just looks odd to me. I'm sure it's functional but did it have to be shaped like that?

I don't hate it but I don't think they look as good as they did in the E9X days and earlier.

boltz

Nice, got two dealerships battling it out for my trade and the new Focus RS. The one that's offering me a significantly better deal has the color and options i'm less interested in though of their allocation. : /

At this point in its life cycle, you don't have much choice besides waiting for better supply. Are you willing to wait?

Personally I wouldn't go for an RS without Sync 3.

J-Rzez

At this point in its life cycle, you don't have much choice besides waiting for better supply. Are you willing to wait?

Personally I wouldn't go for an RS without Sync 3.

They both have the RS2 package. One has a sunroof with sport cup 2 tires and wheel upgrade, the other does not without sport cup 2 tires and wheel upgrade.

I want the sunroof, I don't want the upgraded wheels and sport cup 2 tires, lol.

I may just end up placing an order for one since Ford is taking as many orders as they can now.

can anyone help me understand the difference between a charger scat pack and charger 392?

besides, the bigger brakes and adjustable suspension, why is the 392 worth $10k more?

mkenyon

Banned
can anyone help me understand the difference between a charger scat pack and charger 392?

besides, the bigger brakes and adjustable suspension, why is the 392 worth $10k more?
The biggest differences are much wider wheels/tires on the SRT, adjustable suspension, and racier rear axle.

On mobile, so can't look up exact numbers.

ascii42

Last Saturday my dealership e-mailed me to say they were waiting for a production date on my ATS. Apparently they didn't have the latest information, because they called today to say it was built on the 9th and is in transit. It should arrive on or around the 24th. That'd be less than 6 weeks after I ordered it. Not too bad.

It's funny. Before they called, I was telling a coworker that I was being patient and just figuring it'll arrive when it arrives. Now that I know when it's coming, my patience went out the window.

matmanx1

Last Saturday my dealership e-mailed me to say they were waiting for a production date on my ATS. Apparently they didn't have the latest information, because they called today to say it was built on the 9th and is in transit. It should arrive on or around the 24th. That'd be less than 6 weeks after I ordered it. Not too bad.

It's funny. Before they called, I was telling a coworker that I was being patient and just figuring it'll arrive when it arrives. Now that I know when it's coming, my patience went out the window.

Yeah, I would be the same way. Any time a new vehicle is involved (even if it's just "new to me") I get a little bit crazy. I'm actually taking my time with my 3rd vehicle search and being about as patient as I have ever been with the whole selection and test driving process. It's not easy when you know you have something cool to look forward to!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Nissan? Hopefully it'll end up being something more interesting that a dressed up fwd sportscar with a Clio RS engine.

Nissan owns ~15% of Renault and Renault owns ~43% of Nissan. The two each control 50% of the company that manages their alliance. Peace is kept between the brands because the CEO of both Renault and Nissan is the same person.

SliChillax

It would be quite interesting to see it be FWD, since the engine is amidships.
There would be nothing interesting about it being fwd. Hopefully it's rwd.

Top Gear had a go in the M2 and walked away with some very positive impressions.

"It’s very hard indeed to think of a better new car for your money."

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/m2/first-drive

corner.jpg

Selling my M235i after summer and getting this in 2017 after they sort out whatever small issues they'll have in their first year of production.

SliChillax

It would be very interesting, because there's never been a production car that had the engine behind the driver while being front-wheel drive.

I thought it was front engined? Apparently I missed that detail. If it's mid engined then it wont be fwd, doesn't make any sense packaging wise and I'm sure it wouldn't make any sense performance wise.

SliChillax

I would be open to perhaps leasing one of these somewhere down the road but it would have to be pretty darn good for me to to choose this over a Cayman or F-Type for similar money. Still the Top Gear preview sounds positive.

All reviews so far are very very positive. I don't understand how you could get a Cayman or F Type for that amount of money. Also they're totally different cars, the M2 actually has usable rear seats.

AlphaSnake

I would be open to perhaps leasing one of these somewhere down the road but it would have to be pretty darn good for me to to choose this over a Cayman or F-Type for similar money. Still the Top Gear preview sounds positive.

All reviews so far are very very positive. I don't understand how you could get a Cayman or F Type for that amount of money. Also they're totally different cars, the M2 actually has usable rear seats.

Yeah, exactly. The M2 is only $51K way cheaper than a base Cayman or F-Type.

SliChillax

Yeah, exactly. The M2 is only $51K way cheaper than a base Cayman or F-Type.

Cayman starts at $52k but that only gets you the normal 2.7 without any options meanwhile the M2 is very well equipped and doesn't have too many options. Not saying it's a bad car but I would never choose a basic no options Cayman 2.7 vs a well equipped M2.

Well, the Chaser (JZX100) is coming out of the storage place in Japan, and being placed in the container this week. It should leave the docks in two or so weeks, and land in BC in 4 weeks time. Then it's being trucked across Canada to Ontario (Toronto). That's another 3-4 days I was told.

I can't wait to get my hands on it!

AlphaSnake

Cayman starts at $52k but that only gets you the normal 2.7 without any options meanwhile the M2 is very well equipped and doesn't have too many options. Not saying it's a bad car but I would never choose a basic no options Cayman 2.7 vs a well equipped M2.

Exactly.

And my mind subconsciously adds a $10K premium to any base Porsche too because of the options. Hahaha

Evo X

Yeah, it's already been said, but I'll say it again.

As much of a Porsche fanboy I am, the BMW M2 seems to offer far more value. You'd need a Cayman GTS or F-Type V6 S to compete with it performance wise and both of those cost vastly more than the M2, especially when properly specced.

TylerD

Yeah, it's already been said, but I'll say it again.

As much of a Porsche fanboy I am, the BMW M2 seems to offer far more value. You'd need a Cayman GTS or F-Type V6 S to compete with it performance wise and both of those cost vastly more than the M2, especially when properly specced.

The M2 looks downright pedestrian compared to the Porsche and Jag though. I just can't get excited about the back of any 2. It might be the "new" e46 but the e46 still has it beat in looks IMO.

SliChillax

Yep. Only enthusiasts will know it's something special. Everyone thinks a Cayman GTS or Jag F Type are special.

What? There is no competition between the M2 and those two, no argument there. While obviously it doesn't look like a supercar like the F-Type and Cayman, saying that only enthusiasts will know is something special is not true. People take pictures all the time or they stop to take a look at my blue M235i even though it's not even a proper M. Let alone how they would react to a crazy wider and lower M2 with a face that looks like it's about to stab you, in long beach blue possibly.

Top Bottom