• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

FStop7

Banned
The Z06 had overheating issues in normal road use and Motor Trend ran the Virginia Hillclimb with the CTS V numerous times with no over heating problems.

This and the Ignition review of the Z06 leave me feeling pretty certain that the car was released in a half finished state. That's literally what the Motor Trend guys said. The team developing it must have hit some internal deadline or ran out of money.

BTW that Shmee150 guy recently did some new vids in SoCal. He visited BBi, test drove someone else's modded GT4 and some other stuff. I really like his videos. He's very cheerful and upbeat and comes off sincerely rather than like a showoff.

burgerdog

Somebody drove the Infiniti RS400 and recorded a video of it doing 0-100. A few things: it has 4 passengers in it, totaling an extra 600lbs. It's also the AWD model, adding another 200lbs in weight. Despite that, the car gets to 60MPH in about ~4.5-4.8 seconds. And hits 100MPH in around 10-10.5 seconds with all that weight.

I can't even imagine what a RWD model with no passenger will feel like accelerating. Must be easily a second quicker to 100MPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VgyVJQJRcM

Also, I really like the sporty higher-pitched sound. With an exhaust this thing sounds like it's going to hooowl.

As a frame of reference, a BMW 340i RWD with no passengers will reach 100MPH in about 11 seconds. And an M4 will do it in 9 seconds. It seems to be that the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 is closer in spec to an M4 than a 340i...and I'm pretty damn impressed. Really looking forward to what the tuners will start doing to them too. I have my UpRev cable ready to go.

Exciting, I can't wait to test drive the coupe when it hits the dealers. I must admit that I have trouble believing the price, just seems too good to be true. I believe you when you say mid 40s, but that's just crazy.

Am I alone in thinking that that Q50 video sounds like somebody replaced the audio with a clip from Gran Turismo 2?

Is Infiniti getting into the game of piping in engine noises through the stereo now too? It sounds really artificial (yes I know a lot of that could be the video but still).

Edit: I really like those cars, I just miss hard nasty N/A motor noises. :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
too good to be true

Exciting, I can't wait to test drive the coupe when it hits the dealers. I must admit that I have trouble believing the price, just seems too good to be true. I believe you when you say mid 40s, but that's just crazy.

Yeah, it's crazy. But Infiniti has always undercut rivals by thousands.

Remember, the 2015 Q50 3.7 started at $37,000 and had a lot of great standard features. So the 300HP 3.0T will replace that car and take on that pricing area.

The Red Sport will be bumped into the mid-40s, should be starting at $46-47K somewhere.

Evo X

MotorTrend has their first experience with the new 718 Boxster, and this is what they had to say. Addresses many of the concerns people have about the car.

The quick answer is yes. The 2017 Porsche 718 Boxster and Boxster S are better in every measurable way compared to the 2016 models they replace. More attractive, more powerful, quicker, faster, pointier, and according to Porsche’s estimates, more fuel-efficient and cleaner-running. We spent the day with the new 718 Boxster and it shattered any doubt that Porsche has compromised the iconic convertible in any way. Quite the opposite.Porsche improved the breed by a very large margin. The base 718 Boxster shadows the performance envelope once occupied by the Boxster S, and the 718 Boxster S is something special in its own right.

Both engines, the base 2.0-liter and the S-spec 2.5-liter, show a real gain in power, and more important, the shove of torque—what you feel—increases in number and breadth. For example, where the six-cylinder Boxster S once peaked at 266 lb-ft at 4,500, the new turbocharged and air-to-liquid intercooled 718 Boxster S achieves maximum torque of 309 lb-ft from 1,950 to 4,500 rpm, and believe us when we say it is noticeable. Moreover, a Dynamic Boost (anti-lag) rationale is employed to retain throttle response at all times so that a majority of that motivational torque is available at part throttle, or even if the driver momentarily backs out of the throttle and goes back for more. A combination of closing the turbocharger’s wastegate, keeping the throttle valve open, and altering valve timing keeps the single turbocharger’s boost pressure high (maximum of 19 psi in the 2.0-liter and 16 psi in the 2.5-liter with its variable-vane turbo). This quality was particularly noticeable in the Sport Plus mode when our driver slid the car around wet corners while modulating the throttle to maintain a smooth arc.

Besides the all-new engines, a completely retuned chassis includes firmed-up structure at the rear, and the 718 now has electric-assisted power steering sourced from the 911 Turbo. The base 718’s brakes are carryover equipment, too, but from the previous Boxster S. The 718 Boxster S’ brakes come from the 911 Carrera, and the optional Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes (PCCB) are also carryover. However, both rotors’ thickness has been increased. Every aspect of the Boxster has been improved—as we hoped it would be, expecting nothing less from Porsche—especially to quell a Porschephile uprising due to the controversial four-cylinder powertrain. Just like it did when switching to liquid-cooled engines, and to put a quantifiable number to it, Porsche timed the new 718 Boxster S around the famed Nürburgring circuit at 7 minutes, 42 seconds. According to Porsche factory lap times, that’s 16 seconds quicker than a comparably equipped, track-optimized Boxster S, 5 seconds ahead of the just-released Boxster Spyder, and just 2 seconds arrears of the much-appreciated Cayman GT4.

Finally, what do these two new engines sound like? Rest assured, the grunty, guttural bellow and throttle-overrun backfires are nothing like a Subaru’s. Think back to that kid down the block with a decades-old VW Beetle he bored out to paper-thin cylinder walls and finished off with a proper set of equal-length headers and a Stinger tailpipe. Especially when equipped with the optional Sport exhaust, that is the sound of the 2017 Porsche 718 Boxster. We might even like it better than the old flat-six’s harmonics, and we certainly like the car better overall. We think you will, too.

More in the full article.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-porsche-718-boxster-first-ride-review/

2017-Porsche-718-Boxster-rear-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

Reven

That's amazing news for the Boxster, me and my father rented a base model Boxster like 2 years ago and it totally converted us into Porsche people.

MotorTrend has their first experience with the new 718 Boxster, and this is what they had to say. Addresses many of the concerns people have about the car.

2017-Porsche-718-Boxster-rear-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

This to me seems like the most interesting actually:

Moreover, a Dynamic Boost (anti-lag) rationale is employed to retain throttle response at all times so that a majority of that motivational torque is available at part throttle, or even if the driver momentarily backs out of the throttle and goes back for more. A combination of closing the turbocharger’s wastegate, keeping the throttle valve open, and altering valve timing keeps the single turbocharger’s boost pressure high (maximum of 19 psi in the 2.0-liter and 16 psi in the 2.5-liter with its variable-vane turbo). This quality was particularly noticeable in the Sport Plus mode when our driver slid the car around wet corners while modulating the throttle to maintain a smooth arc.

Evo X

That's amazing news for the Boxster, me and my father rented a base model Boxster like 2 years ago and it totally converted us into Porsche people.

Yeah, these are monumental performance jumps. The base Boxster being faster than the current S, and the S being a stone's throw from a GT4 on track is crazy.

This to me seems like the most interesting actually:

Making a turbo engine feel N/A and have smooth throttle modulation is no easy task, especially with small displacement 4 cylinders. Very impressive engineering.

matmanx1

This is a question i pretty much asked already, but how do you negotiate a deal when a car is priced at or near the lowest on the market? Wouldn't the dealer balk at reducing their price below the rest of the market?

I'm looking at a particular used car but they almost all cluster at about $25k-$25.5k with about 30-50k kilometers and literally none are less than that.

Well, the thing is, you don't really know what the dealer paid for the car that you are interested in. I don't know how it is in your area but most of the cars on used lots around here either came from auctions or from trade-ins and while you probably have a good idea of the wholesale price of that car (and I hope you do) that doesn't tell the whole story.

Depending on what car it is and how long the dealer has had it they may be willing to make you a better deal.

At the very least you shouldn't be paying any "hidden" dealer mark-ups or bogus paperwork fees, which it sounds like you already have knowledge about. Also look out for warranties that are bundled into the sale price (I had that happen to me on one of the first cars I bought - the finance guy gave me three choices for monthly payments at the same interest rate and I didn't notice that all of them had an extended warranty bundled).

Even if you only get $500 off the advertised price of the car because it's a popular model and tends to move quickly you've done good negotiating if you can walk away with the interest rate you wanted and no additional dealer fees. That's what you should be shooting for and not necessarily thousands off the advertised price.

Question for the BMW drivers: do you use Eco Pro? I've been using it for the last couple of weeks, and it's hard to accurately gauge the mileage I'm gaining. I usually get +5.5 or so on the blue thing (+6.0 is the best I've ever gotten), but when I gas up the car, my miles per tank jumps to around 480, as opposed to 420 or so on Comfort. 480 - 420 != 5.5, last I checked.

SliChillax

Question for the BMW drivers: do you use Eco Pro? I've been using it for the last couple of weeks, and it's hard to accurately gauge the mileage I'm gaining. I usually get +5.5 or so on the blue thing (+6.0 is the best I've ever gotten), but when I gas up the car, my miles per tank jumps to around 480, as opposed to 420 or so on Comfort. 480 - 420 != 5.5, last I checked.

I use it on long journeys only. The sailing feature is neat.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/201...-skyline-nsx-prices-due-to-overseas-interest/

Article on rising prices for GTRs and NSX in Japan. Average price for R34 GTR is up over $8000 USD in the past 4 months.

Nurs are auctioning for over 9m yen now and a M-Spec like mine just went for 7.74m yen (69k USD / 96k AUD) yesterday
http://exportcar.jp/en/component/auctstat/?view=auctstatdetail&id=6Xc8y3Cn9KucTj

dayam...I shouldn't have sold my low mile mint NSX..:( o wells..

TylerD

I don't have eco pro but I might be able to help with determining your fuel economy. Try resetting your trip odometer when you fill up and only fill up until the first click every time. Run a tank to your low fuel warning in Eco Pro and then without and compare the differences on the trip counter. I use Fuelly to track fuel economy, cost, and differences between fuel blends and reset the trip odometer every fill up.

I don't have eco pro but I might be able to help with determining your fuel economy. Try resetting your trip odometer when you fill up and only fill up until the first click every time. Run a tank to your low fuel warning in Eco Pro and then without and compare the differences on the trip counter. I use Fuelly to track fuel economy, cost, and differences between fuel blends and reset the trip odometer every fill up.
Thanks. I might try that. I was reading some forums, and supposedly Eco Pro can get you 10-20% better fuel economy, but I'm not sure if I see it, and driving on that setting suuuucks.

Anion

That steering wheel is....... offensive...
ACS-ACL2-36.jpg

This is actually the next Warthog

edit: stinkles knows whats up

More in the full article.

Thats good to hear, but it did receive a big price hike...so it better get better brakes and tech lol

nib95

Banned

Only time I use it is when I'm almost out of fuel and need to make sure I get to my destination or the next gas station before I run dry, otherwise it's not worth the extra sluggishness imo. Pretty much exclusively use Comfort and Sport. I do find Eco quite amusing to use though. It's almost video game esque what with trying to keep yourself in the ideal portion of that little Eco bar, and the +[insert number here] mileage being the equivalent of points for being able to stay in it lol.

ameratsu

Well, the thing is, you don't really know what the dealer paid for the car that you are interested in. I don't know how it is in your area but most of the cars on used lots around here either came from auctions or from trade-ins and while you probably have a good idea of the wholesale price of that car (and I hope you do) that doesn't tell the whole story.

Depending on what car it is and how long the dealer has had it they may be willing to make you a better deal.

At the very least you shouldn't be paying any "hidden" dealer mark-ups or bogus paperwork fees, which it sounds like you already have knowledge about. Also look out for warranties that are bundled into the sale price (I had that happen to me on one of the first cars I bought - the finance guy gave me three choices for monthly payments at the same interest rate and I didn't notice that all of them had an extended warranty bundled).

Even if you only get $500 off the advertised price of the car because it's a popular model and tends to move quickly you've done good negotiating if you can walk away with the interest rate you wanted and no additional dealer fees. That's what you should be shooting for and not necessarily thousands off the advertised price.

Good advice, thanks

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/201...-skyline-nsx-prices-due-to-overseas-interest/

Article on rising prices for GTRs and NSX in Japan. Average price for R34 GTR is up over $8000 USD in the past 4 months.

Nurs are auctioning for over 9m yen now and a M-Spec like mine just went for 7.74m yen (69k USD / 96k AUD) yesterday
http://exportcar.jp/en/component/auctstat/?view=auctstatdetail&id=6Xc8y3Cn9KucTj

Don't remind me... I think I've mentioned it before, but prices for me have risen from low $40K to +$55K :(

How is the drive from LA to SF taking the PCH during the weekends? Is it traffic during this time now?...cause of the nice weather?

I only taken that road once....I usually take the boring 5.....

Only time I use it is when I'm almost out of fuel and need to make sure I get to my destination or the next gas station before I run dry, otherwise it's not worth the extra sluggishness imo. Pretty much exclusively use Comfort and Sport. I do find Eco quite amusing to use though. It's almost video game esque what with trying to keep yourself in the ideal portion of that little Eco bar, and the +[insert number here] mileage being the equivalent of points for being able to stay in it lol.
Yeah, that's how I'm treating it, actually! Since driving in the mode blows, I just try to break my "top score" before I have to fuel up. I'm currently at +6.2, which beats last week! I think if I give it another day or two, I can maybe push it to +6.5 or higher.

matmanx1

This is actually the next Warthog

edit: stinkles knows whats up

Thats good to hear, but it did receive a big price hike...so it better get better brakes and tech lol

Did the Cayman also get a price hike? I thought part of the Boxster's price move was to position it above the Cayman in the Porsche line-up for the first time. From now on the Cayman will be the "base" and the Boxster will be the convertible version, just like every other manufacturer out there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How is the drive from LA to SF taking the PCH during the weekends? Is it traffic during this time now?...cause of the nice weather?

I only taken that road once....I usually take the boring 5.....

Long. Check for construction. Gorgeous in places. Especially Big Sur. If you plan an overnight it feels less rushed. I'd stop at a cute b&b near Hearst Castle if I had a significant other in tow, but book ahead. If you're alone blast all the way but you might get bored and there aren't many safe spots to safely open up the throttle.

TylerD

Long. Check for construction. Gorgeous in places. Especially Big Sur. If you plan an overnight it feels less rushed. I'd stop at a cute b&b near Hearst Castle if I had a significant other in tow, but book ahead. If you're alone blast all the way but you might get bored and there aren't many safe spots to safely open up the throttle.

You can also check out the elephant seals close to Hearst Castle. The opulence and scale of that place was INSANE. When we were driving through and stopped in Big Sur there was a fog layer about 500 feet above the PCH and the sun was setting. That is some of the most stunning scenery I've witnessed. We got stuck behind an RV for about 40-50 miles in some of the twistier sections south of Big Sur that slowed us down a ton.

When my friend and I made the PCH drive from SF ultimately ending up in SD we used AirBNB and stayed in San Luis Obispo for a night.

You can also check out the elephant seals close to Hearst Castle. The opulence and scale of that place was INSANE. When we were driving through and stopped in Big Sur there was a fog layer about 500 feet above the PCH and the sun was setting. That is some of the most stunning scenery I've witnessed. We got stuck behind an RV for about 40-50 miles in some of the twistier sections south of Big Sur that slowed us down a ton.

When my friend and I made the PCH drive from SF ultimately ending up in SD we used AirBNB and stayed in San Luis Obispo for a night.

It's a 1 days trip.

Thats the thing,..I hate being stuck behind an RV or truck. I'm trying to avoid traffic as much as possible.

last time I took hwy5 on midnight and drove back to SF.

Okay , time to bring this thread down away from the supercars. Here is my new 2016 Toyota Rav4 I had a 2013 and the dealer made me an offer to get the new one with more features for less money per month (lease). My insurance went down too. It all makes no sense, but more car for less money is always good.

The changes are all nice. A leather wrapped steering wheel, more sound insulation and a better touchscreen system are all pluses. It looks a little more masculine too. And the dealer threw in the roof bars, all weather cargo and floor mats and cargo cover. I was due to get new tires on my old Rav so the timing was perfect. Free maintenance for 2 years too.

sf6rEGHl.jpg

Okay , time to bring this thread down away from the supercars. Here is my new 2016 Toyota Rav4 I had a 2013 and the dealer made me an offer to get the new one with more features for less money per month (lease). My insurance went down too. It all makes no sense, but more car for less money is always good.

The changes are all nice. A leather wrapped steering wheel, more sound insulation and a better touchscreen system are all pluses. It looks a little more masculine too. And the dealer threw in the roof bars, all weather cargo and floor mats and cargo cover. I was due to get new tires on my old Rav so the timing was perfect. Free maintenance for 2 years too.

OHdcZ8hl.jpg
Slick! I think the Rav4 is probably the best looking SUV in its class, as the Rogue and Murano have those weird Nissan styling choices and cheap interior, and the CRV is straight ugly.

I also really like grey and silver (mostly grey).

Thanks! It is the magnetic grey paint, but this year it has some very cool blue undertones to it. I had a 2010 Toyota in the same color but it was just a metallic grey. This new paint is very nice in person.

Thanks! It is the magnetic grey paint, but this year it has some very cool blue undertones to it. I had a 2010 Toyota in the same color but it was just a metallic grey. This new paint is very nice in person.
It's like the best of both worlds between black and white: mirrored glossy when it's clean and hides flaws when it's dirty. I had to get white for my current car because grey would have been another $800 or something, but I miss my old grey car.

SarBear

Man, how did I ever miss this thread?! Having a lot of fun reading back a few pages. I recently (yea recent meaning last summer) purchased a 2012 Infiniti g37x Sedan after being given an incredible deal on it. 40k miles, one previous owner, and for the most part in tip-top shape. I say for the most part because the previous owner decided (after nicking the quarter panel on god knows what) to spray paint a portion of the fender black to cover up a nickel sized dent and THEN decided to spray paint the OEM wheels satin black. Not an issue as I have a buddy that is the shop manager at our local Honda dealership. So, needless to say, the Infiniti dealer was chomping at the bits to get rid of it. Traded in a 2008 Honda Accord towards it and got it down to about 14k out the door. Not bad!

First time actually having fun with a car! Sorry Accord! Very responsive and throatier than I expected from this car. I am, however, going to replace the wheels and tires here in just a few days. Ordered a set of 19" wheels and tires (Toyo Proxes), and having a Fast Intentions catback exhaust made for it. That should be ready just in time for summer (they said about 13 weeks). It should significantly increase the note while keeping the cabin pretty quiet. I thought about purchasing a better brake kit, but still doing my research to see if it applies to my driving style.

I will say this, gas mileage is for shit, but then again coming from my previous car I can't expect much better for what I purchased. You'd all be ashamed at what my average MPG is, however lol. Does anyone else have any first hand experience with this car?

Man, how did I ever miss this thread?! Having a lot of fun reading back a few pages. I recently (yea recent meaning last summer) purchased a 2012 Infiniti g37x Sedan after being given an incredible deal on it. 40k miles, one previous owner, and for the most part in tip-top shape. I say for the most part because the previous owner decided (after nicking the quarter panel on god knows what) to spray paint a portion of the fender black to cover up a nickel sized dent and THEN decided to spray paint the OEM wheels satin black. Not an issue as I have a buddy that is the shop manager at our local Honda dealership. So, needless to say, the Infiniti dealer was chomping at the bits to get rid of it. Traded in a 2008 Honda Accord towards it and got it down to about 14k out the door. Not bad!

First time actually having fun with a car! Sorry Accord! Very responsive and throatier than I expected from this car. I am, however, going to replace the wheels and tires here in just a few days. Ordered a set of 19" wheels and tires (Toyo Proxes), and having a Fast Intentions catback exhaust made for it. That should be ready just in time for summer (they said about 13 weeks). It should significantly increase the note while keeping the cabin pretty quiet. I thought about purchasing a better brake kit, but still doing my research to see if it applies to my driving style.

I will say this, gas mileage is for shit, but then again coming from my previous car I can't expect much better for what I purchased. You'd all be ashamed at what my average MPG is, however lol. Does anyone else have any first hand experience with this car?

Shit man, where you been at?

mkenyon

Banned
There's another GAFer on here with a G37. I have an EX35, and AlphaSnake has an M56S. He's trading it in on the new Q50 RS400 though.

SarBear

Shit man, where you been at?

Working my black ass off. I made a killing with my side business this year doing tax prep, but I had to set up for it late last year. So that, along with Forza just absolutely not keeping my attention...led to me not seeing much GAF time. :( Plus, you know, daughter, work, girlfriend, Mary Jane. You know...

There's another GAFer on here with a G37. I have an EX35, and AlphaSnake has an M56S. He's trading it in on the new Q50 RS400 though.

Wow, I really hope they nail it with the RS400. The Q50, for me at least, was such a disappointment to drive and that's why I decided on a used G37. I'll post some progress pictures/vids as everything gets put on. The wheels and tires should be here tomorrow, which I'm really excited about so I can finally take the stock rims off (you'll be in for a treat when I show you what's on there now lmao).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

for some reason i thought you had a mustang ;)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The ATS arrived yesterday, and it is lovely.

Nice. Only thing I hate is the control surface buttons. I've driven this car maybe 15 times and still no idea whether the silver or black bits are responding to touch. And red leather in black car is what is best in life.

ascii42

Dude, congrats. Very sharp looking car. I am digging the red leather and that 3rd pedal and stick. :)

Nice. Only thing I hate is the control surface buttons. I've driven this car maybe 15 times and still no idea whether the silver or black bits are responding to touch. And red leather in black car is what is best in life.

It's actually brown leather. I do like the red interior in the ATS as well, but preferred the brown.

It's the black bits that respond to touch. The silver things are just there to act as guides. They did a significant upgrade to both the CPU and GPU for 2016 models, and it shows. It's much faster than in previous years. I still prefer physical buttons and knobs for some things, though.

ascii42

Nice!

How does it drive?

Pretty great, though I haven't had a chance to really test it. Although I've driven a few stick shift cars on occasion over the years, it's the first one I've owned, so I'm still getting used to that.

One thing I don't like about the stick is it's hard to get into reverse. The other two 6 speeds I've driven had something you pull up to allow you to shift into reverse. In this car, you just kind of have to force it over. Both me and the salesman had issues with it at first.

Oxn

I also got a G37x that I bought in the summertime. Mine is 2011. Fully loaded, Beige/Wood Interior. Back up cam with Sonar.

And yes the MPG sucks so bad driving in NYC.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

MPG depends where you live and driving style. I average 20MPG on my tuned M56S, which I drive fairly hard. But I live in Florida where congestion isn't bad, traffic generally flows, and lights aren't that frequent. In NYC my past Infinitis, 350Z, and 370Z got around 16-18MPG, the FX35 being the worst at 16MPG and the 370Z being the best at 18. In Florida my 370Z averaged 24MPG driven spiritedly.

Enjoy the FI exhaust, btw. It's fantastic.

The ATS arrived yesterday, and it is lovely.

I was LITERALLY thinking about when you'd be getting your car just today. Congrats! Looks fucking awesome!

SarBear

for some reason i thought you had a mustang ;)
Well you see....it's the insurance that kills even the best car note in michigan. 317 per month for this Infiniti. That's with a perfect driving record and sustained ins for the last 13 years. :(

I also got a G37x that I bought in the summertime. Mine is 2011. Fully loaded, Beige/Wood Interior. Back up cam with Sonar.

Awesome man! Right now mine is black on black on black on black...etc. Hell of a ride though!

And yes the MPG sucks so bad driving in NYC.

MPG depends where you live and driving style. I average 20MPG on my tuned M56S, which I drive fairly hard. But I live in Florida where congestion isn't bad, traffic generally flows, and lights aren't that frequent. In NYC my past Infinitis, 350Z, and 370Z got around 16-18MPG, the FX35 being the worst at 16MPG and the 370Z being the best at 18. In Florida my 370Z averaged 24MPG driven spiritedly.

Enjoy the FI

I think I'm getting 17.7mpg right now. I can't help it lol. And I am just at the beginning stages for excitement on the exhaust so far. Seriously, the note is going to be crazy.

Top Bottom