• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

nib95

Banned
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me advice during my car buying process and wanted to share -

Not bad for a first car imo.

Solid first car dude. Presumably insurance is pretty affordable too?

On a side note, does anyone know if Jaguar intends to release a larger F-Pace, or will they just leave that category to the Range Rover Sport?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Solid first car dude. Presumably insurance is pretty affordable too?

710 every 6 months, which is with arguably more coverage than I really need but with the kind of car accidents my mom has been in we're kind of paranoid around here. Doesn't seem too bad as a 26 year old for such a recent car (2015 model).

nib95

Banned
710 every 6 months, which is with arguably more coverage than I really need but with the kind of car accidents my mom has been in we're kind of paranoid around here. Doesn't seem too bad as a 26 year old for such a recent car (2015 model).

Not too bad. Was it not a lot cheaper of you paid the whole year up front? I've found quotes using compare the market (in the UK) to be at times considerably cheaper if paid per annum.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Oh wow, that's great man. I just read on Jalopnik a few days ago at how Ferrari values were increasing across the board. Do you know what you want after the lambo though haha?

Yes, these days, the phenomenon seems to apply to any semi-collectible car. Bubble?

Still thinking about that next one. One thing's for sure - there are a record number of great choices.

next time I'll be using a transporter...

iiylCxH.jpg

dayam LA traffic...

Ashes

Banned
I'd love to buy a ST or even RS, but the mpg puts me off. Can't wait for hybrid versions of hot hatches to properly trickle down.

Nah, this is the place.

Pretty simple, the fourth gen Camry seems to be a standard Double DIN system so you don't need to order new dash trim. The process is really just a "Lego for adults" situation, similar to building a PC. The average price is around ~$100 for a simple knob & button stereo and ~$200-450 for a new touchscreen stereo. Crutchfield is a great place to start. Even if you don't end up ordering a replacement system from them you can find out what will work and if you need any additional items.

Instruction videos:
Removal process (Watch this first)
Removal + Installation of a specific system (but the process is the same)
Wiring Harness Video (You might not need this)

Just wanted to say thanks for this post!

I installed the aftermarket system today and it was as harrowing, messy, frustrating, and time-consuming as when I built my first PC, but it worked the first time I started it up so I must have done things correctly.

Thanks again!

Welp, my Friday night was expensive.

cJ007Ol.jpg

Third Subaru for the missus. She still refuses to look at anything else, which in a way makes car shopping with her pretty easy!

nitewulf

Stupid insurance questions, what liability limits should I be looking at?

I got Geico's basic full coverage:

Bodily Injury Liability(BI) $25,000/$50,000
Property Damage Liability(PD) $25,000
Personal Injury Protection(PIP) OPT-A
Uninsured Motorist $25,000/$50,000
Comprehensive(COMP) $500 deductible/no deductible for glass loss
Collision(COLL) $500 deductible
Emergency Road Service(ERS)

ascii42

I'm not sure how much it matters. I feel like in general, they'll just sue you for whatever amount you are insured for. I could be wrong though.

matmanx1

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me advice during my car buying process and wanted to share -

Not bad for a first car imo.

Excellent choice! Well done!

Congrats! You're right - that's a fantastic first car. :)

I also picked up a new car today:

R4CutoJ.jpg

This thing is a riot.

FiST? Nice!

Welp, my Friday night was expensive.

cJ007Ol.jpg

Third Subaru for the missus. She still refuses to look at anything else, which in a way makes car shopping with her pretty easy!

Holy cow, the car virus is spreading!

So uh...this happened...

Ooooooh! Very sweet! I need details, man!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So uh...this happened...

Wow! Nice man. How did you end up structuring the loan? Did you make a large down or no?

You need to make sure that your coverages on your actual car are at 100K, because you have what was once a $100K car. Which means your uninsured protection needs to be also bumped up to the 50/100K mark. You need to talk to Geico about if with 50K coverage on the vehicle, if you're in the new car replacement program. It also depends on how much you bought the car for.

In other words:

God forbid there's an accident severe enough to total the car, Geico will have to put in a claim of $60K (assuming this is what it cost you). They write it off and will actually leave you with a balance to pay the remainder because your coverages only covered $50K. This also means no replacement coverage from the insurance either. I would call Geico, or maybe even shop around for another policy with a higher coverage.

nitewulf

Damn, everybody's picking up sweet cars this week.

Welcome to the Porsche family nitewulf!

Hey thanks man, it's a blast to drive. I hadn't planned on buying it outright, but after that test drive and the roar of the engine...I just couldn't pass it up.

Ooooooh! Very sweet! I need details, man!

2013 Carrera 2S
15K miles
Lots of options: heated seats, steering, multi-function steering, Bose, alcantara interior, 18 way seats, 20 inch wheels, red calipers and sport exhaust (matte), sport chrono package.
3.8 liter flat 6
400 HPs
metallic dark mahogany, which is pretty unique

Wow! Nice man. How did you end up structuring the loan? Did you make a large down or no?
So I went with 15K down and structured it over 6 years, but I should be able to pay it off before that.

You need to make sure that your coverages on your actual car are at 100K, because you have what was once a $100K car. Which means your uninsured protection needs to be also bumped up to the 50/100K mark. You need to talk to Geico about if with 50K coverage on the vehicle, if you're in the new car replacement program. It also depends on how much you bought the car for.

In other words:

God forbid there's an accident severe enough to total the car, Geico will have to put in a claim of $60K (assuming this is what it cost you). They write it off and will actually leave you with a balance to pay the remainder because your coverages only covered $50K. This also means no replacement coverage from the insurance either. I would call Geico, or maybe even shop around for another policy with a higher coverage.
yeah that's what i was getting at, my dealer told me the same thing, i think Geico will do it, just the premium will be a bit higher.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hey thanks man, it's a blast to drive. I hadn't planned on buying it outright, but after that test drive and the roar of the engine...I just couldn't pass it up.

2013 Carrera 2S
15K miles
Lots of options: heated seats, steering, multi-function steering, Bose, alcantara interior, 18 way seats, 20 inch wheels, red calipers and sport exhaust (matte), sport chrono package.
3.8 liter flat 6
400 HPs
metallic dark mahogany, which is pretty unique

So I went with 15K down and structured it over 6 years, but I should be able to pay it off before that.

yeah that's what i was getting at, my dealer told me the same thing, i think Geico will do it, just the premium will be a bit higher.

Amazing. You went from wanting a standard 911, to ending up with a loaded 911S. Congrats again, man. You put a very reasonable amount down. And yes, Geico will adjust the coverages at any time for you.

MisterNoisy

mashoutposse

Ante Up
This is one of my all time favorite cars. Congrats, it's beautiful. You picked a great color.

Thank you. I've already put 400 miles on it this weekend - it's quite impressive. The powerband is exceptionally wide. Feels very strong even at 150+. It's legit.

People react completely differently to this car than they did to the Ferraris. It's like driving the automotive version of a naked woman.

Yes. Classic color; fits the LP perfectly. Lamborghini did a great job with it.

HvNCL4o.jpg

I completely agree that Balloon white is the perfect fit for a lambo. It's classy and loud at the same time. Not as wild as arancio or verde..but elegant. Picture doesn't do justice on how good it looks in person..

Futureman

I think my GF and I have narrowed our new car choice down to either a Honda Fit or HRV.

I'm worried the Fit is too small though the "Magic Seats" do seem really impressive as far as fitting stuff in such a small vehicle.

But just today I came across the Honda HRV and it basically looks like a larger Fit which I like. It would be a few thousand more and the gas mileage isn't quite as good.

General new car purchase question... Can I get away with no down payment? The Fit and HRV are pretty cheap so the monthly payment won't be too bad. We would rather avoid a down payment if necessary. My plan is to get a pre-approved car loan from my bank (PNC) and take it to the dealer and see if their financing can beat it.

Congrats on the Gallardo ya bastard!

Thanks! you always seem to know..

I think my GF and I have narrowed our new car choice down to either a Honda Fit or HRV.

I'm worried the Fit is too small though the "Magic Seats" do seem really impressive as far as fitting stuff in such a small vehicle.

But just today I came across the Honda HRV and it basically looks like a larger Fit which I like. It would be a few thousand more and the gas mileage isn't quite as good.

General new car purchase question... Can I get away with no down payment? The Fit and HRV are pretty cheap so the monthly payment won't be too bad. We would rather avoid a down payment if necessary. My plan is to get a pre-approved car loan from my bank (PNC) and take it to the dealer and see if their financing can beat it.

Got a 2016 Fit and it's one of the best car I've owned. The 2016 model have some that are made in Japan which is a better quality than the previous year and the none japan made models....,so try to snatch one thats made in japan. I think the HRV are non japan made.

SliChillax

Futureman

Got a 2016 Fit and it's one of the best car I've owned. The 2016 model have some that are made in Japan which is a better quality than the previous year and the none japan made models....,so try to snatch one thats made in japan. I think the HRV are non japan made.

Do you live in the US? Hmm that's interesting. I wonder how I would determine if it was made in Japan or not?

any other general thoughts on the 2016 Fit?

Looks like the 2017 Fit should be releasing soon but my lease is up on May 31st and would need to make a purchase by that time.

EDIT: I'm trying to find some info on the 2017 Fit online and it's really weird... like I can't seem to find a reliable website. Everything I'm finding reads like a foreign translation. Is there a reliable website for upcoming cars?

Do you live in the US? Hmm that's interesting. I wonder how I would determine if it was made in Japan or not?

any other general thoughts on the 2016 Fit?

Looks like the 2017 Fit should be releasing soon but my lease is up on May 31st and would need to make a purchase by that time.

EDIT: I'm trying to find some info on the 2017 Fit online and it's really weird... like I can't seem to find a reliable website. Everything I'm finding reads like a foreign translation. Is there a reliable website for upcoming cars?

I live in the US.

you can tell by the vin number.

if it's made in Japan it should start with a J.

majority of them starts with 3.

I live in the US.

you can tell by the vin number.

if it's made in Japan it should start with a J.

majority of them starts with 3.

Both Fit and HR-V production is primarily out of Mexico (hence the the 3 at the start of the VIN).

Honda generally rolls updates late in the year. The Fit was new for 2015 so don't expect many changes for 2017; pretty sure the MMC isn't due for another year. The HR-V was new for 2016 so don't expect any changes.

I've driven both and thought the Fit was the better car. The HR-V feels extremely cheap and underpowered, but the Fit zips along pretty well, especially w/ a manual.

Futureman

My one buddy from college runs a Honda dealership and it looks like they have 29 Fits in stock and all but 3 are made in Japan. Thanks for the info everyone! My GF really wants the Fit and doesn't really like the CRV so I will probably end up getting the Fit.

Not sure if the EX-L is worth it over the EX. From what I can tell it's mainly the leather trimmed seats and heated front seats which doesn't really seem worth $2,300 extra.

Top Bottom