• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

If any of y'all got 38 mins to kill, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6HFEaZi5mI

Everyday Driver compares all 4 generations of the Miata and it's really interesting to see their thoughts.

I've never really driven an NA/NB so I can't comment on their thoughts about those two. But the NC/ND, I think it's in line with my thoughts.

Out of all 4, the NC is the best car out of all, but the ND is the better Miata.

Yep, a stick is available with the 2L Turbo. It's also available on the ATS-V. There was one with a stick on the showroom floor when I picked up my ATS.

Awesome.

For some reason I thought they discontinued the stick for them lol.

TylerD

It's actually brown leather. I do like the red interior in the ATS as well, but preferred the brown.

It's still really nice for sure.

Saw my first i8 in public last night. My girlfriend and I were eating at a really good hotdog place and a mid 40s woman drives up and parks right in front of the window where we were sitting and hops out with her yoga mat and a water bottle. Looks like it drove straight out of the future and way out of place in Lubbock.

matmanx1

Man, how did I ever miss this thread?! Having a lot of fun reading back a few pages. I recently (yea recent meaning last summer) purchased a 2012 Infiniti g37x Sedan after being given an incredible deal on it. 40k miles, one previous owner, and for the most part in tip-top shape. I say for the most part because the previous owner decided (after nicking the quarter panel on god knows what) to spray paint a portion of the fender black to cover up a nickel sized dent and THEN decided to spray paint the OEM wheels satin black. Not an issue as I have a buddy that is the shop manager at our local Honda dealership. So, needless to say, the Infiniti dealer was chomping at the bits to get rid of it. Traded in a 2008 Honda Accord towards it and got it down to about 14k out the door. Not bad!

First time actually having fun with a car! Sorry Accord! Very responsive and throatier than I expected from this car. I am, however, going to replace the wheels and tires here in just a few days. Ordered a set of 19" wheels and tires (Toyo Proxes), and having a Fast Intentions catback exhaust made for it. That should be ready just in time for summer (they said about 13 weeks). It should significantly increase the note while keeping the cabin pretty quiet. I thought about purchasing a better brake kit, but still doing my research to see if it applies to my driving style.

I will say this, gas mileage is for shit, but then again coming from my previous car I can't expect much better for what I purchased. You'd all be ashamed at what my average MPG is, however lol. Does anyone else have any first hand experience with this car?

Congrats! G37's are really fun cars and they sound great. I owned one before my current 128i.

The ATS arrived yesterday, and it is lovely.

Very sweet. The interior looks great and the fact that you bought a stick in a caddy is just fantastic.

If any of y'all got 38 mins to kill, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6HFEaZi5mI

Everyday Driver compares all 4 generations of the Miata and it's really interesting to see their thoughts.

I've never really driven an NA/NB so I can't comment on their thoughts about those two. But the NC/ND, I think it's in line with my thoughts.

Out of all 4, the NC is the best car out of all, but the ND is the better Miata.

Awesome.

For some reason I thought they discontinued the stick for them lol.

Love Everyday Driver. I will definitely watch this.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
A stickshift Cadillac in this day and age is the automotive equivalent of a unicorn. It just shouldn't exist...but there it is, in all its glory. 20 years ago people would've laughed at someone even imagining that there would be a very sporty, low slung Cadillac sedan with a stick. How the times have changed.

Today it's Mercedes and BMW that have distanced themselves from what once made them such icons in luxury, sport, and driver engagement. With sportiness being reserved for only top-tier vehicles.

AlphaSnake

More proof why JD Power's Reliability charts are utterly useless when buying a car. Toyota is at the top. Scion is at the very bottom. How? They're the same cars.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/25/jd-power-rethink-vehicle-dependability-opinion/

Says JD Power's press release: "The number of engine/transmission problems decreases to 24 PP100 in 2016 from 26 PP100 in 2015." Put simply, owners of 2013 model-year vehicles report fewer of the kinds of problems that keep cars stuck on tow trucks. Which is kinda the definition of dependability. So, why are the overall numbers getting worse?

Among owners who experienced a Bluetooth pairing/connectivity problem, 53% said the vehicle didn't find/recognize their mobile phone/device.

Among owners who indicate having experienced a voice recognition problem, 67% say the problem was related to the system not recognizing/misinterpreting verbal commands.

Read the booklet? Google? Nope. Take it to the dealer and have a receipt written up that something is defective. Too bad they can't write up the defect is the user.

Now we get a sense of the problem. If an owner can't get his or her phone to connect via Bluetooth to the audio system, that's a problem. If an owner's audible command isn't properly deciphered by that annoying synthesized voice all infotainment systems seem plagued by, that's a problem. But are either of those problems as serious as a transmission that won't shift, or an engine that won't start? Not by my standards. But by JD Power's, the answer is yes.

JD Power rationalizes this discrepancy by saying that vehicle faults – such as a broken engine or transmission – can be fixed, while poorly designed user interfaces will irritate the consumer for the life of the vehicle. That may be true, but this isn't a Vehicle Irritation Study, it's a Vehicle Dependability Study. And a dependable vehicle is a vehicle that doesn't leave you stranded.

They weigh any complaint the same as an actual dependability concern. Sure, OEMs should make better infotainment systems, but consumers should actually sit down in cars and make sure they like what's inside before buying them. The fault lies with the consumer, not the OEM or dealer. It's up to the consumer to do their due diligence before spending a shit ton of money on a product, much like people read reviews of games, movies, books, and other products before purchasing them.

This is why when I tell people not use look at JD Power anymore. I use to cite them, but their system is severely old and outdated. Consumer Reports isn't a whole lot better, either.

Interesting. When I just got my my new Toyota this week, a new part of the process was the dealership having a staff member pair my phone to the car right away, teach me how to do it, and go over all the tech features like voice texting, etc. I could do all of it myself, but I can see this as a way to stop people from complaining that "it won't work" while in realty they can't figure it out.

AlphaSnake

Interesting. When I just got my my new Toyota this week, a new part of the process was the dealership having a staff member pair my phone to the car right away, teach me how to do it, and go over all the tech features like voice texting, etc. I could do all of it myself, but I can see this as a way to stop people from complaining that "it won't work" while in realty they can't figure it out.

Yeah, most dealers will NOT let you leave without a proper setup of all the tech in the car for reasons like this. When I was in NYC back in October getting my mom her brand new 2016 Acura RDX, the sales rep was very hesitant to let us go without showing us all the toys and setup of BT. I told him I'd handle it all numerous times, and he just kept saying "are you sure? are you sure? Please call me, not the service dept if you have questions".

Also, keep in mind that this is the 2013 model year study. They publish studies on cars that are 3 years old.

matmanx1

That JDPower stuff is just dumb. Annoyances should not be counted the same as outright dependability and reliability. It also seems like there should be a separate category just for "infotainment" issues so as not to cloud the subject. Then we might get some useful data instead of all this noise about phone pairing and voice commands.

I also just finished watching the Everyday Driver comparo of the 4 generations of Miata. It's pretty enlightening, especially their comments on the ND. I still think if I were going to buy one it would be like my brother in law's car and be an NA with a turbo kit. That car is just a blast to drive.

In case you missed it earlier, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6HFEaZi5mI

Viperbah

I am going to replace my DD (2004 TSX) this weekend....The TSX is getting older and racking up the miles and I am looking for something a little more fun. It has to have four doors, get decent mpg and not be a maintenance nightmare (I do all of my own work)

looking at a super clean 2008 G8 or a 2010 STI hatchback.

I know G8s and their issues fairly well from being around that crowd, but I am clueless on STI's.....anyone here ever own one? Good idea for a DD?

Yeah, JDPower is a joke. They need to change their methodology and separate "consumer satisfaction" from reliability.

On another note, I'm starting to drive on Comfort now, and my big takeaway so far is that the miles remaining stat is just flat out wrong. After filling up my tank, it said that I had 432 miles. And then I drove another 70 miles or so, and it still says 426. I can understand it being inaccurate to a certain degree, but 90% shouldn't be an acceptable margin of error. I'm also driving in Comfort like how I would in Eco Pro, so I guess the true benefit of the latter is to change your driving habits.

boltz

It's actually brown leather. I do like the red interior in the ATS as well, but preferred the brown.

It's the black bits that respond to touch. The silver things are just there to act as guides. They did a significant upgrade to both the CPU and GPU for 2016 models, and it shows. It's much faster than in previous years. I still prefer physical buttons and knobs for some things, though.

Nice car! Good to hear they upgraded the CUE system, I never heard a good thing about its responsiveness, but it sounds like that was addressed.

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this:

The tape deck on my 1999 Camry is kaput, and I commute a ~lot~ so I'm looking to replace the factory stereo system with one that has an AUX cable (yes it's an old car, and yes I don't need bluetooth).

How easy would it be for me to do this myself? How would I go about finding appropriately compatible systems/tools? Are there any recommended resources online that could help?

ascii42

Dealer called me up, turns out there was another $1000 discount they missed. So that brought the cost of the car to around $41,300, down from $49500 originally. I'm happy with that.
A stickshift Cadillac in this day and age is the automotive equivalent of a unicorn. It just shouldn't exist...but there it is, in all its glory. 20 years ago people would've laughed at someone even imagining that there would be a very sporty, low slung Cadillac sedan with a stick. How the times have changed.

Today it's Mercedes and BMW that have distanced themselves from what once made them such icons in luxury, sport, and driver engagement. With sportiness being reserved for only top-tier vehicles.

That got me thinking about another unicorn in GM's stable. The Buick Verano Turbo is (or at least was) available with a stick shift. That must have had a crazy low take rate.

Same when I bought the Caddy. I had already ready the manual and watched videos, but was still glad the guy went through everything, because I probably would have forgotten some stuff. The screen in the instrument cluster has three zones that can display various things, but a lot of them are disabled by default (which makes some amount of sense, the more stuff available, the more stuff to scroll though). The guy went ahead and enabled all of them.

9LLDbo9.png

Makki

Pretty sure in this day and age he would be a pedophile for having pictures of himself as a baby. I'm surprised there isnt a ban on shaving your junk because no pubic hair is childish lol.

On topic, anyone else think the new Toyota mini-SUV looks bitchin? I hate the tiny SUV craze of late, but this think is like a Honda Type R but better looking:

T16kzGO.jpg

ascii42

Pretty sure in this day and age he would be a pedophile for having pictures of himself as a baby. I'm surprised there isnt a ban on shaving your junk because no pubic hair is childish lol.

On topic, anyone else think the new Toyota mini-SUV looks bitchin? I hate the tiny SUV craze of late, but this think is like a Honda Type R but better looking:

T16kzGO.jpg

Kind of like a Nissan Juke but more angular?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this:

The tape deck on my 1999 Camry is kaput, and I commute a ~lot~ so I'm looking to replace the factory stereo system with one that has an AUX cable (yes it's an old car, and yes I don't need bluetooth).

How easy would it be for me to do this myself? How would I go about finding appropriately compatible systems/tools? Are there any recommended resources online that could help?

Nah, this is the place.

Pretty simple, the fourth gen Camry seems to be a standard Double DIN system so you don't need to order new dash trim. The process is really just a "Lego for adults" situation, similar to building a PC. The average price is around ~$100 for a simple knob & button stereo and ~$200-450 for a new touchscreen stereo. Crutchfield is a great place to start. Even if you don't end up ordering a replacement system from them you can find out what will work and if you need any additional items.

Instruction videos:
Removal process (Watch this first)
Removal + Installation of a specific system (but the process is the same)
Wiring Harness Video (You might not need this)

Kind of like a Nissan Juke but more angular?

It's the same styling of the refreshed RAV4:

Oxn

T16kzGO.jpg

Actually looks reallllly good, damn.

T16kzGO.jpg

They toned it down a bit too much from the concept for my taste.

1524953610960951621.png

1524953611120721733.jpg

AlphaSnake

lol more 918s sold than Audi TTs

There haven't been Audi TTs produced since November 2014, I believe. So it makes sense no TTs sold in Feb 2015, since they were all pretty much gone. The current TT just arrived at US dealers 3 weeks ago. I saw my first one...

It's ugly as sin, especially compared to the elegant 2nd gen car. How the mighty have fallen.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Thanks, guys! It's been a fun 6 hours or so.

Hah. Sick. Why'd you get rid of the Ferraris?

Thanks - I wanted to check Lambo V12 ownership off the list (was supposed to be an Aventador originally, long story). I still love the mid-engine V8 Ferraris and will be back in one ASAP. Maybe even another Scud. They drive fantastically.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Hah. Sick. Why'd you get rid of the Ferraris?

To add, all of my former Ferraris appreciated significantly in value. I had an F430 6-speed manual, 2x 430 Scuderias, and a well-bought F430 F1. I made money on all of them; I took the cash off the table while the market is favorable.

Zyzyxxz

To add, all of my former Ferraris appreciated significantly in value. I had an F430 6-speed manual, 2x 430 Scuderias, and a well-bought F430 F1. I made money on all of them; I took the cash off the table while the market is favorable.

Nice, the 430 Scuderias are one of my dream cars!

Anion

Oh wow, that's great man. I just read on Jalopnik a few days ago at how Ferrari values were increasing across the board. Do you know what you want after the lambo though haha?

The ATS arrived yesterday, and it is lovely.
I gotta admit that you optioned that car well. Very well. The wait must have killed you haha, it's the best feeling when your car comes into the city. Also that multifunction steering wheel is intense haha

AlphaSnake

Oh wow, that's great man. I just read on Jalopnik a few days ago at how Ferrari values were increasing across the board. Do you know what you want after the lambo though haha?

My money says 458. They're also going to start skyrocketing in price soon, last of the NA Ferraris.

rokkerkory

T16kzGO.jpg

Looks great but if past toyotas are anything to go buy, probably lack luster steering, power train and suspension. :(

Zoolader

I started looking around Craigslist for a new project car and found two. The first is another b5 S4 that has a dead engine for $700. Everything else on the car is in good condition, but it's an automatic. The other is a bmw e30 325 for $1500 that runs rough once it's warmed up. I would like both but I'm not sure I have the space or time for two projects. The s4 would be a steal of a deal but I already own one and having an e30 drift missile project car sounds less expensive and more fun. Now I wait and see who messages me back.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Mazda6, right? Definitely a good first car.

Mazda3 actually. Tried the 6 but with the weight difference it just wasn't as fun to drive/didn't feel as peppy. That and the only reasonably priced used 6 near me was a smokers car and fuck that.

Top Bottom