• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

Thanks! you always seem to know..

I've driven different iterations of the Gallardo a fair bit and instantly recognized those air vents and center gauge stack. Your "such a bull to drive" comment from last week suddenly makes a lot more sense. :D

Speaking of Lambos, the new Centenario leaked ahead of it's official debut at the 2016 Geneva Auto Show tomorrow.

The coupe celebrates founder Ferruccio Lamborghini's 100th birthday.

The limited-edition hypercar uses a naturally aspirated V12 with 770 horsepower and can get to 62 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds. The top speed is an impressive 218 miles per hour. The body and monocoque are entirely carbon fiber, and the rear wing extends at high speeds for more downforce to stick the hypercar to the road.

Lambo plans to produce a limited run of Centenarios consisting of 20 coupes and 20 roadsters.

Lamborghini-Centenario.jpg

Hesemonni

Banned
I feel that proletariat GAF doesn't have any place in thread :/ We have no place to park our average cars amongst all the Lambos and Porsches.

My one buddy from college runs a Honda dealership and it looks like they have 29 Fits in stock and all but 3 are made in Japan. Thanks for the info everyone! My GF really wants the Fit and doesn't really like the CRV so I will probably end up getting the Fit.

Not sure if the EX-L is worth it over the EX. From what I can tell it's mainly the leather trimmed seats and heated front seats which doesn't really seem worth $2,300 extra.

I think side mirror defroser too. The EX-L is the only model you can get NAV on.

on the non Navigation cars, you can pair your iPhone with a 99 dollar app and some adapters, so you can mirror the screen from your iphone. But no android connect.

Humidex

Chiron? It feels a much more cohesive design on the outside versus the Veyron. Amazing to think it's actually heavier than its predecessor!

Expect a GTA ripoff of the Chiron pretty soon. :)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Thank you. I've already put 400 miles on it this weekend - it's quite impressive. The powerband is exceptionally wide. Feels very strong even at 150+. It's legit.

People react completely differently to this car than they did to the Ferraris. It's like driving the automotive version of a naked woman.

This is the best way to describe a Murciélago.

TylerD

I think the Chiron is very pretty and especially like the "C" that divides the driver and passenger seat and how it echoes the same design on either side. Looks like a couple million bucks at least!

Motor and transmission mounts were completed yesterday. It took a chunk of time but minimal cursing and throwing things occured. Overall NVH is significantly reduced, shifting is much smoother and a lost the clunk when depressing the clutch that was more pronounced shifting from 1st->2nd and lightly present with other shifts. $100 very well spent.

matmanx1

I think my GF and I have narrowed our new car choice down to either a Honda Fit or HRV.

I'm worried the Fit is too small though the "Magic Seats" do seem really impressive as far as fitting stuff in such a small vehicle.

But just today I came across the Honda HRV and it basically looks like a larger Fit which I like. It would be a few thousand more and the gas mileage isn't quite as good.

General new car purchase question... Can I get away with no down payment? The Fit and HRV are pretty cheap so the monthly payment won't be too bad. We would rather avoid a down payment if necessary. My plan is to get a pre-approved car loan from my bank (PNC) and take it to the dealer and see if their financing can beat it.

Other folks pretty much already answered but any good dealership should be able to roll with no down payment. You are doing the right thing by getting pre-approved and then letting the dealership try to beat it. For what it's worth, I also favor the Fit over the HR-V.

I feel that proletariat GAF doesn't have any place in thread :/ We have no place to park our average cars amongst all the Lambos and Porsches.

Haha, feels like that sometimes, doesn't it? The thing I have discovered is Auto-Gaf is pretty all-encompassing and we have appreciation for most good cars, regardless of their price or age.

matmanx1

Went on a bit of a test driving spree this weekend, still on the hunt for the "3rd car". I won't list everything I drove or sat in, but I will list some highlights.

1) A one owner, 72,000 mile 2002 Infiniti Q45 for $9400. The interior was immaculate and I loved the seats. The V8 was strong and it had to be one of the quietest cars that I have ever been in. It's not exactly what I am looking for but if I was in the market for large'ish, cheap luxury car then this would probably be at the top of my list.

2) A one owner 191,000 mile 2006 Acura TL for $7500. Once again, the interior was in crazy good shape and the car ran and drove like a new one. Evidently some lady that was on the road all the time traded it in the week before and the service folks at the Nissan dealership where she traded it were so impressed with it that they put it on the lot instead of wholesaleing it. The only downside is that I noticed some moisture on the front of the motor after the test drive and the car smelled strongly of coolant.

3) A 2008 NC Miata with about 90,000 miles for right at 10k. My first drive in an NC Miata and I really, really enjoyed myself. It is completely opposite of what I told myself I was looking for originally (something truck-like) but still might be an option. After all, I don't actually need a truck, I just need/want a 3rd vehicle and my primary goal is that it be reliable and easy to maintain.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
MotorTrends first drive review of the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-infiniti-q50-red-sport-400-first-drive-review/

Shame about the exhaust, but everything else sounds great.

Near silent exhaust on the performance model?

Alpha pls

I ain't worried. I wondered if that may happen since the GTR also sounded quiet as fuck. Even my M56S did too. Nothing a little exhaust work won't fix. Chances are the Infiniti performance exhaust will bolt right up.

Also, seems like during this press event Infiniti has stated the base price of a RS400 will be $47K (and that it comes very well optioned) and if you wanted to full option it out (all of the radar tech, direct adaptive steering), it would be under $55K. I think dealers are receiving test drive cars within 2 weeks.

But I'm thinking of going coupe though...

nitewulf

Hawt. Based on 'this happened', impulse buy? Very sharp.
Actually I have been saving up for it a while, however, the intention was to save up a bit more and buy around April. But this particular specimen with the options and price point was too good for me to pass up, because Porsche options are super expensive. I mean there are a lot of 911s out there for a fair price, but they are all black/white and bare bones.

The test drive just sealed the deal...I knew it was a bad (really great) idea to test drive it. That exhaust note is too good.

Passed a BMW i8 yesterday, hawt car man. You usually don't see exotics in brooklyn as such, we gave each other knowing looks.

nitewulf

That's BS, we are all car lovers, before the Porsche I used to drive a BMW which was very nice fair enough, but right before that I used to drive a beat up Celica convertible and loved every second of it. Post whatever you got man. I just can't stand boring to drive cars, there are plenty super affordable fun to drive cars these days.

That's BS, we are all car lovers, before the Porsche I used to drive a BMW which was very nice fair enough, but right before that I used to drive a beat up Celica convertible and loved every second of it. Post whatever you got man. I just can't stand boring to drive cars, there are plenty super affordable fun to drive cars these days.
Yep, my first car was a $3000 heap of a Porsche 924 that I absolutely loved. It's more a matter of having fun cars than expensive cars, and the love you put into them.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to say thanks for this post!

I installed the aftermarket system today and it was as harrowing, messy, frustrating, and time-consuming as when I built my first PC, but it worked the first time I started it up so I must have done things correctly.

Thanks again!

Hey, good to hear it went well. Glad I could help!

3) A 2008 NC Miata with about 90,000 miles for right at 10k. My first drive in an NC Miata and I really, really enjoyed myself. It is completely opposite of what I told myself I was looking for originally (something truck-like) but still might be an option. After all, I don't actually need a truck, I just need/want a 3rd vehicle and my primary goal is that it be reliable and easy to maintain.

Dooooooooooooo it!

The NC is the most "truck" like Miata in the entire lineup since it's fat and spacious lol. It's the most comfortable out of all, not to mention it has the biggest trunk of all Miata's... as long as you get a soft top or don't drop the PRHT.

If you've got any more questions, you know where to find me lol.

It's more a matter of having fun cars than expensive cars, and the love you put into them.

Agreed 100%.

Malvolio

Joining the new car club. Had to ditch my CR-Z as living without a backseat was becoming a pain now that I've got a wife and kid.
bLIbKzA7oZow2HLHqSkqZ8Bk5tYuTi4_9wR8oHm9TRxQMTp1H78MltGwGNJTOSu8-FteL37WxNn29_Cadj68qwyo5moB5jyJWuC_oC1996th55sy93h7IlfliQL9t9Zfv6qJI5My8WhpXJJ_IgCVramGmNn01Ki22LMsHuKCVOg1WViCvK3aI3JiaH0SL9FKmN7CmUxqaCCpaoh4jRtfkxwRNFVFlR92dZYPvLrHuAlO9daf5t3e5TGvGZsCsP4p22Z52hadt6JUXGpDQgxbLnDOiG7DKnJa6Rm8q50J6V-ko5y349kwF1eTI5HdYqduAkDbHUNT4lc8gM5QHe0REQGkCCY_bP0OASE7WpQHcpFQUBCkWMRmT5GqFY1Z_MQ6SdIKPuF1zFdoH7W4a92fJ0KVJ_r3A5odOPg12I-Nk-HHWRlte6n84QWgt7ovh3DZYdqyTltrKpN1PMSGLPFWovjH9kYupoS5s4t1Xno9OxLQt31X3dnoVy4AUGjPO_IUqd4IozSapJJl1EERjsYQafNCRq2d9pU8d-S7JPPXRvQ9Y2fAn8X-z8F-LZGiTHDRQ7kG=w1242-h703-no

Ty4on

The first car that I posted on GAF was a 1997 Honda Prelude non-SH with over 150k miles on it.
That's still an awesome car

VTEC I assume? Most are dull 2.0l here (forth and fifth gen) and surprisingly many VTECs are autos. Wouldn't surprise me if there aren't any Type SH in this country :p

matmanx1

Yep, my first car was a $3000 heap of a Porsche 924 that I absolutely loved. It's more a matter of having fun cars than expensive cars, and the love you put into them.

This times 1000!

Joining the new car club. Had to ditch my CR-Z as living without a backseat was becoming a pain now that I've got a wife and kid.
bLIbKzA7oZow2HLHqSkqZ8Bk5tYuTi4_9wR8oHm9TRxQMTp1H78MltGwGNJTOSu8-FteL37WxNn29_Cadj68qwyo5moB5jyJWuC_oC1996th55sy93h7IlfliQL9t9Zfv6qJI5My8WhpXJJ_IgCVramGmNn01Ki22LMsHuKCVOg1WViCvK3aI3JiaH0SL9FKmN7CmUxqaCCpaoh4jRtfkxwRNFVFlR92dZYPvLrHuAlO9daf5t3e5TGvGZsCsP4p22Z52hadt6JUXGpDQgxbLnDOiG7DKnJa6Rm8q50J6V-ko5y349kwF1eTI5HdYqduAkDbHUNT4lc8gM5QHe0REQGkCCY_bP0OASE7WpQHcpFQUBCkWMRmT5GqFY1Z_MQ6SdIKPuF1zFdoH7W4a92fJ0KVJ_r3A5odOPg12I-Nk-HHWRlte6n84QWgt7ovh3DZYdqyTltrKpN1PMSGLPFWovjH9kYupoS5s4t1Xno9OxLQt31X3dnoVy4AUGjPO_IUqd4IozSapJJl1EERjsYQafNCRq2d9pU8d-S7JPPXRvQ9Y2fAn8X-z8F-LZGiTHDRQ7kG=w1242-h703-no

GTI!!! Fun, practical car and the measuring stick for all hot hatches. Enjoy it!

matmanx1

Dooooooooooooo it!

The NC is the most "truck" like Miata in the entire lineup since it's fat and spacious lol. It's the most comfortable out of all, not to mention it has the biggest trunk of all Miata's... as long as you get a soft top or don't drop the PRHT.

If you've got any more questions, you know where to find me lol.

Agreed 100%.

As much as I would like to you should have seen the look my wife gave me when I told her how much fun I had test driving it. She said something to the effect of "this was not supposed to be for you to buy another fun car!"

She is reasonable and would probably come around if I explained the benefits (reliable, cheap to operate, etc.) but I'd rather not fight that battle if I don't have to. This time around will probably be a GX 470 or 4Runner and next year when I go to get rid of the BMW I will most likely revisit the Miata.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

kyrrnpsihm8jf6jfhqwj.jpg

170 hp, 184 ft-lb of torques, mechanical LSD, Brembos, and Bilsteins.

Of course Fiat would do what Mazda doesn't really want to do in the last 25 years smh...

Please please please let it be under $35K...

Malvolio

GTI!!! Fun, practical car and the measuring stick for all hot hatches. Enjoy it!

Yeah, I'm blown away at what this car delivers for the price. Sure I knew it was peppy and fun to drive, but I had no idea how refined and solid it is. Honestly feels like a 30K+ car when it comes to fit and finish. Made the FoST look completely out classed in that regard. Of course, that's not the idea behind the FoST, but as a long time Honda guy, I could not make that sacrifice as I'm used to the polish Honda delivers.

acksman

Finally took delivery on my new Shelby yesterday. Man this thing drives so nice and sounds so mean. Have to figure out what to do with the Roush now. Will get some better pictures during the day when the sun is out.

AFkKAr7.jpg

BDB1Ofq.jpg

PVKu3Q8.jpg

SliChillax

kyrrnpsihm8jf6jfhqwj.jpg

Of course Fiat would do what Mazda doesn't really want to do in the last 25 years smh...

That looks horrible. Also for the way it looks I wasn't expecting 170hp.

SliChillax

yeah it's no M235i or anyting truly special like that

This fucking thread.

Well that was a fucking retarded comment. What does an M235i have to do with it? Don't recall mentioning it. But sorry for not being impressed by a 140k special edition Porsche that costs more than a GT3 RS while offering nothing more. You manual purists like to get screwed over with stupid prices.

mkenyon

Banned
Finally took delivery on my new Shelby yesterday. Man this thing drives so nice and sounds so mean. Have to figure out what to do with the Roush now. Will get some better pictures during the day when the sun is out.
Oh man, what a garage. Have you revved it with the garage door mostly closed? :p

Grats on the amazing car!

El_Chino

Top Gear just wrote a great piece on the new Bugatti Chiron. Check out the link for full info and pics. I think it looks much more attractive than the Veyron.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/all-hail-new-bugatti-chiron

2bugattichironcarouselbrmarch2016.jpg

I have to say I'm a little disappointed by the Chiron, I thought it would a bit more faster than the Super Sport. It looks 100 times better than the Veyron but from a pure power numbers perspective I was expecting a little more.

SliChillax

AFkKAr7.jpg

BDB1Ofq.jpg

PVKu3Q8.jpg

I am incredibly jealous. I wish they would sell it in Europe!

Evo X

kyrrnpsihm8jf6jfhqwj.jpg

I'm gonna echo what others have said. It's too flashy to only be sporting 170HP. Sounds nice though and should be fun to drive.

yeah it's no M235i or anyting truly special like that

This fucking thread.

LMAO.

Well that was a fucking retarded comment. What does an M235i have to do with it? Don't recall mentioning it. But sorry for not being impressed by a 140k special edition Porsche that costs more than a GT3 RS while offering nothing more. You manual purists like to get screwed over with stupid prices.

You aren't the target buyer for this car. No one cares about whether you are impressed or not. The people who can actually afford it have been clamoring for this car for years, ever since the 991 GT3 was announced as PDK only. Witnessed by the fact that the full production run as been pre-sold for months before they even officially revealed it, most to 918 VIPs. $140K is a drop in the bucket for them.

This is going to be truly epic. Right up there with the 997 GT3RS 4.0, widely considered to be the best driver's Porsche. BTW, the value of that car has more than doubled in the past few years. I have no doubt this will too.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed by the Chiron, I thought it would a bit more faster than the Super Sport. It looks 100 times better than the Veyron but from a pure power numbers perspective I was expecting a little more.

They say it will do more than 270mph. It's just ECU limited to 261. Remember, it gets exponentially harder to go faster because of wind resistance, regardless of power output.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
That's still an awesome car

VTEC I assume? Most are dull 2.0l here (forth and fifth gen) and surprisingly many VTECs are autos. Wouldn't surprise me if there aren't any Type SH in this country :p

Yes, VTEC. I spun a bearing in the USDM H22A4 on the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn and swapped in a JDM H22A with the slightly shorter geared M2B4 transmission. If I were a smaller guy, I'd still have one as a daily. Great car for an FWD.

Mine looked like this (OEM aero pieces, stock blade wheels):

DSCN0528.jpg

I miss it.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
The 911R has the 500bhp engine of the GT3RS, weighs 3,021 pounds, and has a base MSRP of $184,900.

Congratulations!

El_Chino

I'm gonna echo what others have said. It's too flashy to only be sporting 170HP. Sounds nice though and should be fun to drive.

LMAO.

You aren't the target buyer for this car. No one cares about whether you are impressed or not. The people who can actually afford it have been clamoring for this car for years, ever since the 991 GT3 was announced as PDK only. Witnessed by the fact that the full production run as been pre-sold for months before they even officially revealed it, most to 918 VIPs. $140K is a drop in the bucket for them.

This is going to be truly epic. Right up there with the 997 GT3RS 4.0, widely considered to be the best driver's Porsche. BTW, the value of that car has more than doubled in the past few years. I have no doubt this will too.

They say it will do more than 270mph. It's just ECU limited to 261. Remember, it gets exponentially harder to go faster because of wind resistance, regardless of power output.
I know that of course but Chiron looks so much more aerodynamic and I could've swore that were targeting 275+ when they first started talking about it.

Yup, as (probably) one of the last N/A R/'special' 911s, with a manual transmission no less, you just know that thing is going to be going up in value in no time.

Top Bottom