• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

With her skirt up.

nKMwpRU.jpg

yours is like a victoria secret super model...

mine is like a really hot instagram girl fishing for likes...

Mt4xnn1h.jpg

SliChillax

You aren't the target buyer for this car. No one cares about whether you are impressed or not. The people who can actually afford it have been clamoring for this car for years, ever since the 991 GT3 was announced as PDK only. Witnessed by the fact that the full production run as been pre-sold for months before they even officially revealed it, most to 918 VIPs. $140K is a drop in the bucket for them.

This is going to be truly epic. Right up there with the 997 GT3RS 4.0, widely considered to be the best driver's Porsche. BTW, the value of that car has more than doubled in the past few years. I have no doubt this will too.

So just because there are people with money to waste, I should appreciate the car? The GT3 RS 4.0 deserves every penny because it was superior from every angle compared to the GT3 RS. The 911R is not. I don't doubt that it's not epic, I just see the price as a rip off for what they're offering. Clearly you are a Porsche lover and refuse to accept the fact that the car could have been more for what they're offering. The fact that they're still using the old Mk1 911 tail lights and old infotainment system shows how many fucks they gave. Just slap a manual transmission, take out the awesome aero package of the GT3 RS, and charge more. Which reminds me are they using the awesome 6 speed found in the Cayman/Boxster or the inferior 7 speed which nobody likes as much as the 6 speed? How dare I criticize the car because I have an M235i (which I never said it was special). I expect you guys to be more grown up than that.

FStop7

Banned
The M235i's a really nice car. But at the end of the day it is built from "slapped on" suspension/styling/badge components. These are your own parameters, I merely turned them around on you.

MisterNoisy

Finally took delivery on my new Shelby yesterday. Man this thing drives so nice and sounds so mean. Have to figure out what to do with the Roush now. Will get some better pictures during the day when the sun is out.

Holy shit - super sharp ride, man.

Joining the new car club. Had to ditch my CR-Z as living without a backseat was becoming a pain now that I've got a wife and kid.

Very nice - congrats! :)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The M235i's a really nice car. But at the end of the day it is built from "slapped on" suspension/styling/badge components. These are your own parameters, I merely turned them around on you.

....Who...who are you talking to?

I feel that proletariat GAF doesn't have any place in thread :/ We have no place to park our average cars amongst all the Lambos and Porsches.

Not true....

and expensive car doesn't mean better car.

I was fortunate to own a few NSX and a GT-R R35 but one of my favorite car was the an 1998 Championship white integra Type R.

The car cost me about 14.5k and for me it tops both NSX and GT-R.

back in the days, you can drive TypeR 4 hours to the track, beat it up and smoke some WRX(GD) then drive back home, with nothing more than a buffled oil pan.

No need to worry about brakes turning to jelly(GT-R) or buying expensive suspension to reduce the horrid understeer (NSX).

BdIipYb.jpg

The only cons way the people trying to steal it....

Congratulations - BW the best. ;)

How are you liking it so far?

Slow, rough, and jerky...

but after 3200rpms....you forget all that and its bliss....

SliChillax

And? I know very well what an M235i is and I never claimed it to be more special than anything else so what does it have to do with the Porsche being over priced? Or do I need to own one in order to judge it? Give me a break. Also my M235i cost 45,000 euros with 5,000km, fully loaded and 4 year warranty which is a bargain for that kind of car. Don't compare it to an incredibly over priced Porsche. And yes I'm sure the 911 R is a blast to drive, not saying the car sucks, I'm judging the price.

6-speed in the 911R.

Well that's great news.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Shit, the evo just threw a service engine soon light. I'll run the code tomorrow but willing to bet it's related to the high flow cat.

Suddenly, I'm getting flashbacks from last month when I complained about the garbage plasticky interior of a $45K USD 2 series.

It's not worth it FStop7 lol.

I'm gonna echo what others have said. It's too flashy to only be sporting 170HP. Sounds nice though and should be fun to drive.

Supposedly, 170hp is for the Euro version. Some FIAT insider/employee on the Miata forums hints that the US or as he calls it NAFTA version will have different HP figures. I'm assuming it's going to be higher, because America of course lol.

Anyway, my fascination with it is due to the turbo. 170hp, or whatever HP the US version is going get, isn't that fast, I agree. But if you look at what Abarth 500 tuners can do that engine, then imagine if you actually got the Miata tuners working on it... I wouldn't be surprised if 250hp would be possible with a simple tune. Add in better internals... and who knows where this car can end up in.

As for the look of the car... the FIAT version looks boring as fnck, as if it was designed by some geriatric for his fellow geriatrics in Europe. I'd be very embarrassed to be caught driving in that thing. But this Abarth version though? Yeah, it looks too much boy racer, yeah it's look doesn't match the meager HP figures... but I'd drive the piss out of it. I mean, I already drive a "gay" car to begin with... better to be caught in a car that's slow than a gay car right?

Arc07

Yeah I'll definitely pick up a 124 Abarth in a couple years after half its value is gone from depreciation.

Makki

Suddenly, I'm getting flashbacks from last month when I complained about the garbage plasticky interior of a $45K USD 2 series.

Supposedly, 170hp is for the Euro version. Some FIAT insider/employee on the Miata forums hints that the US or as he calls it NAFTA version will have different HP figures. I'm assuming it's going to be higher, because America of course lol.

Anyway, my fascination with it is due to the turbo. 170hp, or whatever HP the US version is going get, isn't that fast, I agree. But if you look at what Abarth 500 tuners can do that engine, then imagine if you actually got the Miata tuners working on it... I wouldn't be surprised if 250hp would be possible with a simple tune. Add in better internals... and who knows where this car can end up in.

As for the look of the car... the FIAT version looks boring as fnck, as if it was designed by some geriatric for his fellow geriatrics in Europe. I'd be very embarrassed to be caught driving in that thing. But this Abarth version though? Yeah, it looks too much boy racer, yeah it's look doesn't match the meager HP figures... but I'd drive the piss out of it. I mean, I already drive a "gay" car to begin with... better to be caught in a car that's slow than a gay car right?

I think the only sin the Fiata has is those droopy senile looking fucking tail lights. The lines down the sides ending in a squared ass dont help it, but that tail cannot be loved. The abarth somehow masks the terrible design though, although the seats now are the eyesore of the car, wtf Sergio.

Mistel

Banned
Not well versed in the works of Pininfarina are you?

I think the only sin the Fiata has is those droopy senile looking fucking tail lights. The lines down the sides ending in a squared ass dont help it, but that tail cannot be loved. The abarth somehow masks the terrible design though, although the seats now are the eyesore of the car, wtf Sergio.

I'm actually okay with the rear despite it's boxy nature.

But yeah, I don't understand how the Abarth masks the FIAT's design. I wouldn't believe you if you told me if that's the same car lol.

Not well versed in the works of Pininfarina are you?

It's not that, I just don't see how this:

is supposed to be this:

Besides the grill, the chrome windshield frame, and a somewhat similar headlight shape... I don't really see similar characteristics between the old and new one. I just think the new Spider looks boring and safe. Maybe Mazda sabotaged the look of the car to sell more Miatas or maybe FIAT did it themselves so they can sell more of the Abarth version?

I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer the fiata over the mazda

Mistel

Banned
Besides the grill, the chrome windshield frame, and a somewhat similar headlight shape... I don't really see similar characteristics between the old and new one. ?
What about the horizontal tail lights and the twin power domes? If you look at debumpered original 124 Spider other than the lower grille the new one is styled similarly to the Pininfarina stlyed original.

Ashes

Banned
Man I really like what I'm hearing of the DB11. Shame I will most likely never get to drive it. Same with the Porsche above.

Having said that, I like the look of the civic concept. Looks not drive etc.. Might be my next car if it drives ok.

nayrac

The wife wants a Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio. Anyone have any experience with them?

To be fair, when I drove it I was giggling and grinning the entire time so I'm sold from a fun standpoint.

matmanx1

Finally took delivery on my new Shelby yesterday. Man this thing drives so nice and sounds so mean. Have to figure out what to do with the Roush now. Will get some better pictures during the day when the sun is out.

AFkKAr7.jpg

BDB1Ofq.jpg

PVKu3Q8.jpg

Niiiiice! I hope I get to experience one some day. Enjoy it!

Yeah, I'm all over the 124 Abarth. For slow driving a turbo with a lot of torque down low is lots of fun which layered over the built in "fun-ness" of the Miata will be many smiles per hour. I think it would be the near epitome of "slow car fast".

To be fair, when I drove it I was giggling and grinning the entire time so I'm sold from a fun standpoint.

Well, the Abarth is extremely fun but make sure you know what you are getting into with the Cabrio. The top is pretty funky and adds weirdness to what is already an odd car. I like the Abarth, I don't care for the Cabrio but that's just my opinion. As long as you guys like it and it works for you then you should be able to get an extremely good deal on one right now.

Arc07

It's the most entertaining car I've ever owned. Only advice I have is to get an extended warranty. Not a fan of the 500C but that's probably because I don't need another convertible.

SliChillax

Man I really like what I'm hearing of the DB11. Shame I will most likely never get to drive it. Same with the Porsche above.

Having said that, I like the look of the civic concept. Looks not drive etc.. Might be my next car if it drives ok.

I'm really let down by the interior of the DB11. The steering wheel looks horrible in my opinion and the centre dashboard looks like it was designed in the 90's. The Vanquish has a much better interior.

Not true....

I was fortunate to own a few NSX and a GT-R R35 but one of my favorite car was the an 1998 Championship white integra Type R.

back in the days, you can drive TypeR 4 hours to the track, beat it up and smoke some WRX(GD) then drive back home, with nothing more than a buffled oil pan.

No need to worry about brakes turning to jelly(GT-R) or buying expensive suspension to reduce the horrid understeer (NSX).

BdIipYb.jpg

Slow, rough, and jerky...

but after 3200rpms....you forget all that and its bliss....

I don't know about a NSX or GT-R because I'm one of the plebs, but I came so so close to buying a minty 2001 GS-R. I was looking into getting a second car for a daily, because I want to start tracking my EP3 eventually and have put a little money into it.. I took the GS-R on a test drive, took it up way past VTEC engagement and the owner asked me what was that loud sound lmao.

In fact the only thing that held me back was the seller - it seems like he snubbed me and sold it to someone else.

But out of the few cars I've driven, the GS-R was hands down the one with the most soul. The one that felt the most alive, the one to push you to drive more. Rev more. Take that turn leading to your house faster. I still want one, eventually.

SliChillax

Chillax, you should do a bit of that and dial down the negativity. Maybe just look at BMW blogs only to stay happy? :p

Nah I'll just leave this thread since I don't have the right to express my opinion without being called a BMW fanboy. What a wonderful community. I don't even understand where you guys got that impression? Or is it because I just own a BMW? Also how am I a BMW fanboy when I say I prefer the older Vanquish? Which happens to be one of my favourite cars and is not a BMW.

Not true....

BdIipYb.jpg

The Integra is one of those cars that even fwd haters can't help but love. Fantastic machine.

ameratsu

I don't know about a NSX or GT-R because I'm one of the plebs, but I came so so close to buying a minty 2001 GS-R. I was looking into getting a second car for a daily, because I want to start tracking my EP3 eventually and have put a little money into it.. I took the GS-R on a test drive, took it up way past VTEC engagement and the owner asked me what was that loud sound lmao.

In fact the only thing that held me back was the seller - it seems like he snubbed me and sold it to someone else.

But out of the few cars I've driven, the GS-R was hands down the one with the most soul. The one that felt the most alive, the one to push you to drive more. Rev more. Take that turn leading to your house faster. I still want one, eventually.

I have a 99 GS-R that I absolutely love. It's easily the best car I've ever owned -- I see it as the perfect blend of cost, fun, and reliability for a daily driver. I'm considering moving on to something else after more than 3 years, but it's such a good car that it's going to be tough to get anything else.

It still makes me sad there are so few decent examples left, as most have been modded by amateurs or stolen and chopped up. It's too bad to see this happen to a genuinely fun and affordable car.

op_ivy

Shit, the evo just threw a service engine soon light. I'll run the code tomorrow but willing to bet it's related to the high flow cat.

Little help please.

Had the codes checked and the car put up p2096 (post catalyst lean condition) and p0219 (engine over speed). From a bit of research sounds like the first is related to my tune and high flow cat (though my tuner said he is not familiar with it...) and the second is from a mis-shift or red lining, but I did neither. I also read that the engine over speed is a code that you can't clear out, but when I had my codes read it was cleared out just fine and made it home 8 miles away without triggering again. Any ideas what else could have tripped this?

Backstory, as it may be relevant, I accelerated from 30 to 70 rather quickly (but not quite WOT) after the car was *mostly warmed up before crusing back to about 60 in 5th which is a bit low in the RPM range (but too high for me to cruisr in 4th). As I drove up an incline it triggered the service engine light. Absolutely no noticeable difference in driveability, but I haven't pushed it since it happened into boost or much beyond 3500 rpms.

FStop7

Banned
It's been a long time, but I recall getting the same cat error.

Did you have your rev limiter adjusted through software?

I remember my Evo had a 2-step "stuttering" style rev limiter straight from the factory. It sounded so cool, though I only hit it a couple of times.

op_ivy

It's been a long time, but I recall getting the same cat error.

Did you have your rev limiter adjusted through software?

I remember my Evo had a 2-step "stuttering" style rev limiter straight from the factory. It sounded so cool, though I only hit it a couple of times.

Not that I'm aware of. Red line on the stock gauge cluster is 7k, I doubt I hit 6. I certainly didn't get limited.

Sounds like this code gets triggered at 8000+ rpm. Lol, I KNOW I didn't do that!

Thinking aloud (not familiar with Evos at all, just some four cylinder Hondas), but I wonder if the Evo takes into account AFR into giving the over-rev code. Because if it cuts fuel at the top-end, I wonder if it looks at a spike in AFR in either direction as a condition for the code as well. A tall upshift like you describe would briefly leave you much richer than the car was expecting. It seems weird to use something other than engine speed...which is why I'm not totally convinced of my own idea lol

Laws00

I'm looking into getting some good seat covers for my car my 2016 Honda Civic.

For some reason they only offer through the website/store/dealership Genuine OEM backseat seat covers for some strange reason.

Any brands that you guys would recommend?

In my line of work, I think I need them lol

Xdye7

Little help please.

Had the codes checked and the car put up p2096 (post catalyst lean condition) and p0219 (engine over speed). From a bit of research sounds like the first is related to my tune and high flow cat (though my tuner said he is not familiar with it...) and the second is from a mis-shift or red lining, but I did neither. I also read that the engine over speed is a code that you can't clear out, but when I had my codes read it was cleared out just fine and made it home 8 miles away without triggering again. Any ideas what else could have tripped this?

Backstory, as it may be relevant, I accelerated from 30 to 70 rather quickly (but not quite WOT) after the car was *mostly warmed up before crusing back to about 60 in 5th which is a bit low in the RPM range (but too high for me to cruisr in 4th). As I drove up an incline it triggered the service engine light. Absolutely no noticeable difference in driveability, but I haven't pushed it since it happened into boost or much beyond 3500 rpms.

(though my tuner said he is not familiar with it...)

find another tuner

as for your story, it doesn't make enough sense or provide enough detail for me to comment on it other than your car should definitely be fully warmed up before going 3.5k rpm and above, as well as in the right gear based on load. If you're going uphill you should be at least around 3k rpm in the appropriate gear, before the hill. For generous throttle application/WOT, you should definitely be in the upper half of the rev range especially and even more so in the higher gears.

anyway, with a quick search and some prior knowledge:

-p2096

a properly installed and functioning AFR gauge will let you know if the car is actually running lean or rich. What's it reading? Assuming your tune is good and the car is running fine otherwise, this could be an exhaust leak or bad rear o2 sensor.

-p0219

redline is 7000 but stock fuel cut is 7599rpm. Some tuners like to raise the fuel cut limit. My guess is your car could have been "overevved" while being tuned on the dyno. If you're confident the car has never actually been past the limiter due to a mis-shift or something you've got nothing to worry about IMO

nitewulf

Holy fuck. That color!

It reminds me of my Z's Black Cherry. I thought your car was black from that first pic. Ooof.

thanks man, yep I remember your Z, that was a nice paint job...yeah this is Metallic Dark Mahogany, that's what sold me on the car, you don't really see this color.

op_ivy

find another tuner

as for your story, it doesn't make enough sense or provide enough detail for me to comment on it other than your car should definitely be fully warmed up before going 3.5k rpm and above, as well as in the right gear based on load. If you're going uphill you should be at least around 3k rpm in the appropriate gear, before the hill. For generous throttle application/WOT, you should definitely be in the upper half of the rev range especially and even more so in the higher gears.

anyway, with a quick search and some prior knowledge:

-p2096

a properly installed and functioning AFR gauge will let you know if the car is actually running lean or rich. What's it reading? Assuming your tune is good and the car is running fine otherwise, this could be an exhaust leak or bad rear o2 sensor.

-p0219

redline is 7000 but stock fuel cut is 7599rpm. Some tuners like to raise the fuel cut limit. My guess is your car could have been "overevved" while being tuned on the dyno. If you're confident the car has never actually been past the limiter due to a mis-shift or something you've got nothing to worry about IMO

Tuner has a good reputation, but I'm chatting with him about it.

As far as my story, what other info would you need? Car was warmed up enough for the guage to read about mid range temp, 5 min or so of driving. I never put much pedal down in the low rpm range, especially in 4th and 5th, and this was no exception. I left town in 3rd at about 4k and pushed it @ 75% throttle to about 6k before shifting to 4th, then 5th at about 70. Coasted from there at flat ground till about 60. Maybe a mile later hit a relatively steep incline/grade and kept it at 60, which is a hair shy of 3000 rpm. Mid way up, engine light triggered.

I do have a wideband guage installed and at cruising speed (where it was likely at when triggered) AFR bounces between high 13s and high 14s. Under heavy/wide open throttle it's about 11.

Cobb's website says the following: "Common causes for this are boost/air leaks, worn out sensors (MAF, O2), or a poorly calibrated MAF sensor" which ties in with what you said.

As far as the p0219, I know I haven't MIS shifted since owning the car. Wife may have, but she's only driven it infrequently and not within the last few weeks. Var was tuned on the dyno 2.5 months ago. Hopefully none of this is s big deal. We'll see in the next few days if it retriggers.

Thanks for suggestions. Trying to do the best thing for my car.

2dd.jpg

Damn, the paint on that 911 is definitely gorgeous.

Yeah, I'm all over the 124 Abarth. For slow driving a turbo with a lot of torque down low is lots of fun which layered over the built in "fun-ness" of the Miata will be many smiles per hour. I think it would be the near epitome of "slow car fast".

Lol smiles per hour is a funny phrase. I've heard smiles per gallon being thrown around before, but not sph haha.

I'm actually now really curious as to what Mazda's planning these days. Part of me feels like they'll be cannibalizing themselves if a 200hp Fiata turbo does happen, but since it is a Mazda with a FIAT engine... are they even losing money that way?

Xdye7

Tuner has a good reputation, but I'm chatting with him about it.

As far as my story, what other info would you need? Car was warmed up enough for the guage to read about mid range temp, 5 min or so of driving. I never put much pedal down in the low rpm range, especially in 4th and 5th, and this was no exception. I left town in 3rd at about 4k and pushed it @ 75% throttle to about 6k before shifting to 4th, then 5th at about 70. Coasted from there at flat ground till about 60. Maybe a mile later hit a relatively steep incline/grade and kept it at 60, which is a hair shy of 3000 rpm. Mid way up, engine light triggered.

I do have a wideband guage installed and at cruising speed (where it was likely at when triggered) AFR bounces between high 13s and high 14s. Under heavy/wide open throttle it's about 11.

Cobb's website says the following: "Common causes for this are boost/air leaks, worn out sensors (MAF, O2), or a poorly calibrated MAF sensor" which ties in with what you said.

As far as the p0219, I know I haven't MIS shifted since owning the car. Wife may have, but she's only driven it infrequently and not within the last few weeks. Var was tuned on the dyno 2.5 months ago. Hopefully none of this is s big deal. We'll see in the next few days if it retriggers.

Thanks for suggestions. Trying to do the best thing for my car.

Good to hear your tuner is working with you.

As for your story, it seems like you know what you're doing. However, coolant temp is not indicative of how warmed up the car is. From a cold start you'll want to idle the car until one bar shows up on the coolant gauge (just a ballpark means of measuring time, per the owner's manual) to allow the oil to circulate a little bit and then drive lightly while keeping the revs under 3 to 3.5k for a solid 10 minutes. After that, your oil and engine should be up to temp and your transmission, differentials, tires, etc. have all also had a chance to warm up.

AFR seems good. MAF calibration being the problem is unlikely, especially if you haven't changed from the stock MAF housing size. Although, if you are using an oiled air intake filter (K&N for example) it's possible that the oil from it has contaminated the MAF sensor and is causing readings to be thrown off. Lack of issues other than the code popping up would lead me to believe it's something after the AFR sensor such as an exhaust leak or bad rear o2 sensor.

On another note, even if there's nothing wrong with the car it would make sense for the situation you described to cause the code since going uphill at 3k would cause the turbo to spool more than normal due to the increased load, and as far as I'm aware, during spool it's technically 'lean' and this could trip the code which has probably has parameters for the rich stock tune, rather than your custom tune which would have different AFRs across the board. I'm no expert on this just thinking out loud lol

for the overspeed code, it seems that it doesn't actually cause a CEL to show, but is rather just stored in the ECU. So I'm not sure if there's a way to tell when it originated. I would still think it was during the dyno tune if the car was run past 7599rpm during a pull. I've read that stock cams and springs are safely good for 7800rpm and it's common for tuners to do this so I wouldn't worry about it. Also I doubt your wife caused it, unless she managed a money shift into first or shifted into 2nd gear past 60mph.

Good luck with your car man, keep us posted. Should be fine really, just gotta get those two pesky codes under control.

Top Bottom