• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Picked up a car this weekend. Thrilled with it.

cup.gif~c200

Beautiful car. Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy it!

Laekon

Is there any reason not to do stage one ECU upgrade to an older car? I have a 2008 GTI still under 50K miles and don't plan on replacing it any time soon. I've tried looking for info on changing the ECU after so many miles but couldn't find anything.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but since this is the only car thread I could find, I figured it would be ok to ask. Is there a website out there where I can select features in a car I value, such as "quiet interior" or "trunk space" or whatever, and find cars based on those features? I'm looking up cars, and I'm having trouble finding stuff like "this car has the smoothest ride" or 'this is the quietest car to drive" or "this car has the most technology/gadgets standard". Most sites seem to just have 'this is the best mid-size sedan" and that's about it. I want something more granular.
You could just list the features you want and I'm sure we could give you some guidance.

ameratsu

I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but since this is the only car thread I could find, I figured it would be ok to ask. Is there a website out there where I can select features in a car I value, such as "quiet interior" or "trunk space" or whatever, and find cars based on those features? I'm looking up cars, and I'm having trouble finding stuff like "this car has the smoothest ride" or 'this is the quietest car to drive" or "this car has the most technology/gadgets standard". Most sites seem to just have 'this is the best mid-size sedan" and that's about it. I want something more granular.

If you have a class of car in mind, like a midsize, it would be worth reading reviews for models you are interested in and skimming over parts you don't care about. Good reviews should compare the model they are reviewing to others within its class on things like noise, comfort, and features/trim levels.

You'll have to have an idea for what cars you're looking for first, but you should be able to find comparisons of NVH between cars (Noise, Vibration, Harshness).

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Thanks, Grenadier, Smokey - the ownership experience has already exceeded expectations. The best part is all of the smiles and positivity it brings out of people.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Was this PSX-Extreme era shit?

PSXE, yeah. I had an extra copy of HSG3 to give away. Made a thread back in 2002, first post wins it. Just so happened it was Mashoutposse. I was a senior in high school at the time, he rolled by in his Prelude, picked up the game and that's how we met, IRL and stayed in touch since.

I became really good friends with another GAFer similarly, but that was at E3 where we were handing out ketchup packets to all of the hoarders.

Did you have another handle that you remembered me and PSXE, ShowDog?

Is there any reason not to do stage one ECU upgrade to an older car? I have a 2008 GTI still under 50K miles and don't plan on replacing it any time soon. I've tried looking for info on changing the ECU after so many miles but couldn't find anything.

None whatsoever. You getting an APR unit? If so, you won't be disappointed.

ShowDog

PSXE, yeah. I had an extra copy of HSG3 to give away. Made a thread back in 2002, first post wins it. Just so happened it was Mashoutposse. I was a senior in high school at the time, he rolled by in his Prelude, picked up the game and that's how we met, IRL and stayed in touch since.

I became really good friends with another GAFer similarly, but that was at E3 where we were handing out ketchup packets to all of the hoarders.

Did you have another handle that you remembered me and PSXE, ShowDog?

I used to post there around 03-04, I don't remember my handle at the time tbh. It was getting a bit stale over there and I remember you talking about jumping ship to GAF around that time, despite it being your own website, and I scoped it out here and I've been ever since.

AlphaSnake

I used to post there around 03-04, I don't remember my handle at the time tbh. It was getting a bit stale over there and I remember you talking about jumping ship to GAF around that time, despite it being your own website, and I scoped it out here and I've been ever since.

Heh, I suppose I was one of the earlier writers who also frequented on GAF? 12 years ago is a long damn time ago. Now everyone's doing it. -_-

:p

But my focus still remained content for PSXE, though. Until I was totally burned out playing hundreds of games a year and writing that much, where it just made me a cranky "gamer" asshole.

cajunator

Banned

I honestly dont see what people see in the 430. Or even the 360. They are too bubbly. Like they tried to make a modern 250LM and it just looks clunky.
The same goes for the designs after 575M and 456. Im not criticizing the mechanics of those cars because theres not much better than them but stylistically Ferrari lost the plot.

I honestly dont see what people see in the 430. Or even the 360. They are too bubbly. Like they tried to make a modern 250LM and it just looks clunky.
The same goes for the designs after 575M and 456. Im not criticizing the mechanics of those cars because theres not much better than them but stylistically Ferrari lost the plot.

Really?

I'll gladly trade my car for a ferrari...

The number #1 rule of car-guy-dom is not to diss someone's new car. The 430 was a pretty car at the time but it's in that awkward period for cars from 5-15 years old where it's just old enough to look dated but not old enough to look striking and different. Give it 10 years and the 360 and 430 will look pretty rad.

Personally I'm pumped that someone picked one up, congrats mashout. :D

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Mash, bet you still miss the S2000 even after the 430. Ha! Congrats, man.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Thanks for the congrats, guys.

To those who have qualms with the F430's aesthetics, I hear you. I think the issue is that, as car guys on the internet, we've "seen" everything under the sun and have gotten used to the look of these cars. On the street, my experience has been that the general populace reacts extremely positively to the way the F430 looks. The response has actually been quite surprising - the car attracts far more attention that I could have ever anticipated.

Car history - Civic, Prelude, E46 M3, E92 M3, F430.

Smokey

To those who have qualms with the F430's aesthetics, I hear you. I think the issue is that, as car guys on the internet, we've "seen" everything under the sun and have gotten used to the look of these cars. On the street, my experience has been that the general populace reacts extremely positively to the way the F430 looks. The response has actually been quite surprising - the car attracts far more attention that I could have ever anticipated.

That's the thing about exotics. It doesn't matter if it's an older exotic, that shit still turns heads.

Although buying a red Ferrari -- I don't know what you expected lol

AlphaSnake

I remember the first 3, I didn't know you had an E92 M3? Must've not been that long.

Good stuff :D

How quickly do you go through tires?

About 2 tracks days or 10 heat cycles now that my pace is competitive enough to place either 1st or 2nd at both tracks when looking at time trial results with NASA.

A lot of it does depend on pace. I need to switch to Hoosiers or slicks. Not only will I go much faster but they last longer and are actually cheaper.

Top Bottom