• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ApharmdX

Banned
1Mazda_MX-5RF_showmodel_RQ_open_black.jpg

13Mazda_MX-5RF_showmodel_Side_open_black.jpg

Very impressive.

I would buy this. Looks really good.

As anyone driven a VW Scirocco?

If you had one for a while what was it like day to day?

Thinking of getting one and been offered a great deal on a 1.4TSI GT brand new so thought I'd ask on here what people thought.

SliChillax

As anyone driven a VW Scirocco?

If you had one for a while what was it like day to day?

Thinking of getting one and been offered a great deal on a 1.4TSI GT brand new so thought I'd ask on here what people thought.

It's a great looking car but not anything to write home about handling wise. The interior is ok, everything is just ok, nothing wowed me when I used one a few years ago. The 1.4 lacks punch, I'd rather just get a 2.0 TDI even though it's a noisy engine. I would much prefer the Mk7 Golf since the Scirocco is not that practical and feels outdated inside, using parts from the Mk6 Golf and such. I don't know how good your deal is but I wouldn't go for a Scirocco without trying the Mk7 Golf first, unless you really really love the design.

psylah

Do you think the Fiat 124 front end would bolt on to a Miata?

That front end on an MX-5 RF would be a dead ringer for a modern 240Z.

SliChillax

Do you think the Fiat 124 front end would bolt on to a Miata?

That front end on an MX-5 RF would be a dead ringer for a modern 240Z.

No. You'd have to change the door to match the front fender so it can match the front bumper and bonnet. Then you'd have to change the rear fender to match the 124 doors so yeah it would be too expensive.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
There's a giant ugly plastic surrounding the touch screen, what the hell were they thinking? I really like the interior except the middle part where the screen is. Also the outside looks great, very nice facelift.
2017-Nissan-GT-R-FL-38.jpg

Yeah, for sure. But overall it's the FIRST time I can actually say that it has an interior I can live with. They've also relocated the console vents to the bottom below the screen. The entire aesthetic of the interior is now actually symmetrical and makes sense. I was genuinely not expecting this kind of change.

Hopefully DCT is indeed as refined as they claim now. Because the past cars were horribly unrefined in slow traffic situations.

SliChillax

Yeah, for sure. But overall it's the FIRST time I can actually say that it has an interior I can live with. They've also relocated the console vents to the bottom below the screen. The entire aesthetic of the interior is now actually symmetrical and makes sense. I was genuinely not expecting this kind of change.

Hopefully DCT is indeed as refined as they claim now. Because the past cars were horribly unrefined in slow traffic situations.

Its a huge change for a facelift, interior wise. They put a lot of money into this which manufacturers clearly try to avoid when doing facelifts. I like the steering wheel from Infiniti but I have mixed feelings about the center console vents, looks straight out of a Delorean. I made a quick mockup in photoshop trying to improve the screen section. Ignore the black leather, a friend of mine asked me to do it like that.

The interior is nothing special and still nothing special.

I don't think the DTC was that bad at all, specially in traffic. It makes funny noises but it's pretty smooth. If you're lazy you can put it on auto mode and it will be just like an automatic... I actually think the DTC is great!!

Evo X

Oh no. :(

918 Spyder no. 830 is up for sale at a salvage auction in NY. Apparently the owner wrecked it with only 92 miles on it. These hypercars are ballistic missiles on wheels. I think everyone that buys one should have to go through some sort of driver training and certification.

16361536_01X.jpg

16361536_04X.jpg

16361536_05X.jpg

16361536_08X.jpg

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/16361536

AlphaSnake

Its a huge change for a facelift, interior wise. They put a lot of money into this which manufacturers clearly try to avoid when doing facelifts. I like the steering wheel from Infiniti but I have mixed feelings about the center console vents, looks straight out of a Delorean. I made a quick mockup in photoshop trying to improve the screen section. Ignore the black leather, a friend of mine asked me to do it like that.

I love the steering wheel black and the seats brown/orange. Looks fantastic!

ameratsu

918 Spyder no. 830 is up for sale at a salvage auction in NY. Apparently the owner wrecked it with only 92 miles on it. These hypercars are ballistic missiles on wheels. I think everyone that buys one should have to go through some sort of driver training and certification.

Dibs on the seats, will they fit in my Integra?

Wait, what is the 2017 WRX going to look like? Will we get a WRX hatchback?

WRX was just redesigned two years ago; it's likely staying the same for at least another year or two. I'm guessing they'll either cut this generation short and square it up with the new Impreza or make a totally different vehicle on the new global platform in another few years. But Subaru isn't talking either way.

(letting the 3rd gen Impreza WRX languish for three extra years while the Impreza was restyled for 2012 really screwed things up)

matmanx1

16361536_01X.jpg

16361536_04X.jpg

16361536_05X.jpg

16361536_08X.jpg

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/16361536

Ugh. So horrible. They didn't just wreck it "a little bit" either, did they? There's no doubt that this one is a total loss! It makes my stomach hurt just looking at it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
1Mazda_MX-5RF_showmodel_RQ_open_black.jpg

13Mazda_MX-5RF_showmodel_Side_open_black.jpg

Very impressive.

I'm 6'2" and 240lbs with size 14 shoes... no way in hell can I squeeze into a Miata and even sort of enjoy it. With that said, holy shit - the new hardtop Miata is seriously one of the best looking cars on the road under $60K. It's damn near perfect.

Reven

I'm 6'1'' and 300 pounds and actually fit in the Miata pretty damn comfortably. You should really sit in one if you have the chance, they're really awesome.

I'm 6'1'' and 300 pounds and actually fit in the Miata pretty damn comfortably. You should really sit in one if you have the chance, they're really awesome.

Depends on where your height is. My dad is 6'2", but has a tall mid section, and he doesn't fit in the new miata at all. I remember at a new car show when the 2nd gen was out, he sat in it and the windshield surround was at his eye level.

Ash_69

Loving the revisions to the gt-r for 2017. It's satisfying when a company listens up and addresses the biggest issue with their car. If I had the money, I would consider getting one.

Whilst the interior may not be r8 levels of special, definitely a huge step up and refinement has been a bit of an issue with nissan sports cars which I'm glad they're addressing. By virtue of it being a performance bargain, half the people that own them will probably use it as their dd.

Cowie

Depends on where your height is. My dad is 6'2", but has a tall mid section, and he doesn't fit in the new miata at all. I remember at a new car show when the 2nd gen was out, he sat in it and the windshield surround was at his eye level.

I'm 6'4, with a lot of it in my legs, and the Miata is a no-go for me either. I barely made it into the damn thing, and there's no way I could've driven it. Disappointing, though I'm kind of used to it by now. Height killed my dreams of a Cayman as well =(

I'm 6'4, with a lot of it in my legs, and the Miata is a no-go for me either. I barely made it into the damn thing, and there's no way I could've driven it. Disappointing, though I'm kind of used to it by now. Height killed my dreams of a Cayman as well =(

You think being too tall to drive a car is bad? Trying being too short to comfortably drive some cars. Yeah...it sucks.

acksman

Yes that Miata is nice. I think they have a hit on their hands. I remember back in the day they were everywhere. I wish my wife was more into cars, I would get her this and sneak it out from time to time to drive!

matmanx1

Yes that Miata is nice. I think they have a hit on their hands. I remember back in the day they were everywhere. I wish my wife was more into cars, I would get her this and sneak it out from time to time to drive!

Wife, pffft. I'll buy one for myself, thank you very much. =) Although I want to drive the new Fiat 124 Abarth and a new Club Sport Miata back to back on the same day. I really want to compare those two cars head to head and see how much difference the turbo and Abarth treatment make (positive or negative).

acksman

Wife, pffft. I'll buy one for myself, thank you very much. =) Although I want to drive the new Fiat 124 Abarth and a new Club Sport Miata back to back on the same day. I really want to compare those two cars head to head and see how much difference the turbo and Abarth treatment make (positive or negative).

I already have two toys, I don't think the wife would be happy to have a 3rd in the driveway, lol.

The wife took one look at the Miata RF and is asking (demanding) when I'm going to trade in the FR-S for one.

Loving the revisions to the gt-r for 2017. It's satisfying when a company listens up and addresses the biggest issue with their car. If I had the money, I would consider getting one.

Whilst the interior may not be r8 levels of special, definitely a huge step up and refinement has been a bit of an issue with nissan sports cars which I'm glad they're addressing. By virtue of it being a performance bargain, half the people that own them will probably use it as their dd.

Only if the GT-R looks more like... a supercar. Not a Japanese muscle car.

That's one of my major grip about it. A 100k car that if I'm being honest...kinda ugly.

Yes it's a performance benchmark and can pretty much destroy majority of the supercars..but speed ain't everything.

AlphaSnake

That's definitely an interfooler.

But man, whatever that car WAS it is so far gone that I can't even recognize it. Is it a G35? Altima Coupe? I legit can't tell...

Looking at how tall the A and B pillars are it's definitely an econo-box not a G35, but the C-pillar being covered up like that makes it really hard to tell what it was. Not that I have all that great an ability to differentiate between crappy cars.

One of the most fun experiences I had at an auto show was seeing this thing at the Tokyo Auto Salon when it was first unveiled:
0708_turp_01_z%2Bnissan_240sx%2Bright_front_view.jpg

And just enjoying a moment of confusion until I focused on the hatchback.

AlphaSnake

Looking at how tall the A and B pillars are it's definitely an econo-box not a G35, but the C-pillar being covered up like that makes it really hard to tell what it was. Not that I have all that great an ability to differentiate between crappy cars.

One of the most fun experiences I had at an auto show was seeing this thing at the Tokyo Auto Salon when it was first unveiled:
0708_turp_01_z%2Bnissan_240sx%2Bright_front_view.jpg

And just enjoying a moment of confusion until I focused on the hatchback.

240SX?

ascii42

After a month with the ATS, I'm much more comfortable with it. I'm really appreciating the configurable HUD. Mostly I leave it displaying speed and tach, which is really nice to have on the windshield with a manual transmission.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
that.gtr.is.amazing.

FYI, i'm driving the evo again. had a check engine light for a lean condition which turned out to be a fairly small exhaust leak. turns out i should have got a 2.5" to 3" flange adapter for my hfc and catback to get a good seal from the stock downpipe. after disconnecting the battery the light is off and has stayed off (knock on wood) and more importantly, my AFR numbers are more consistent and where they should be rather than slightly rich.

feels amazing to drive it again after driving my ford ranger and the wife's tahoe for a couple weeks :p

Top Bottom