• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ascii42

Definitely looks like it. This happens to be my favorite 240sx front end conversion =P

79ta92240sx.jpg

(Belated congrats on the Jag Alpha, it's beautiful!)

The displacement on the hood thing is honest, at least.

Furyous

Does AutomativeGAF have any love for minimal vehicles?

renault-twizy-06.jpg

smart-fortwo-ed.jpg

nissan-new-mobility-concept-2182.0.jpg

I'm looking into electric vehicles like this as the value proposition better suits me. Does anyone drive one of these vehicles or another minimal vehicle?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

renault-twizy-06.jpg

smart-fortwo-ed.jpg

I'm looking into electric vehicles like this as the value proposition better suits me. Does anyone drive one of these vehicles or another minimal vehicle?

I appreciate them, especially stuff like Ariel, but anecdotally, Smart car drivers are HORRIFIC.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...no-plans-to-build-a-smaller-miata-competitor/

GTR and 370Z will continue on. No smaller sports car for Nissan.

Nissan clearly saw that the market for a smaller, nimble, but slow car is simply not there based on the failure of the GT86. I can see the Z instead getting two different offerings. A 300HP 2.0T to appease those who want the lightest front end possible, and of course (unquestionably) the 400HP VR30. A 300Z and 400Z.

lem0n

renault-twizy-06.jpg

smart-fortwo-ed.jpg

It's not quite on that level, but I love my little Fiat 500. Manual, has the amenities I need and nothing more, and is fun as hell to drive especially now that I lowered it and made it "mine". Absolutely recommend one, if you don't mind a slow car.

MisterNoisy

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...no-plans-to-build-a-smaller-miata-competitor/

Nissan clearly saw that the market for a smaller, nimble, but slow car is simply not there based on the failure of the GT86. I can see the Z instead getting two different offerings. A 300HP 2.0T to appease those who want the lightest front end possible, and of course (unquestionably) the 400HP VR30. A 300Z and 400Z.

Something of a shame. I'd have held out for the IDx if it was going to happen. The small RWD coupe market is probably well-served by the existing options, though.

EDIT: Someone posted this video of 'not LeMons' racing in r/cars, and I figured the people here would dig. Lord knows I kinda wanna move to Canada now.

Bandit1

This rules and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Also, awesome username/post combo.

Lol thanks, movie changed my life.
No seriously

Yup although I didn't actually know that the 180sx was also a 240sx in America...

To add to the confusion, you can see that the front of the car was a 350z, but the back was G35!

102933.jpg

Haha yeah that is confusing

speaking of odd s13 front end swaps, I took this picture of a local one

IMG_2455%201024.jpg

Looks pretty good actually. Reminds me a little of the Rocket Bunny "Boss" nose for the S14 which I think is awesome.

4f3e91c115bb47c65a3c653ed25be0f9.jpg

This is a genius idea, and Nissan would be foolish not to act on it. Especially if they can get a 2.0T out the door for under $30k.

Makki

Why have any of these bad looking cars when you have this Honda stunner:
GSTJijD.jpg

Not in the US, but if there was a market for SMARTs why the hell would honda not sell this thing.

matmanx1

I already have two toys, I don't think the wife would be happy to have a 3rd in the driveway, lol.

I hear you, hehe. Happy wife, happy life!

Looks like the new GTR is already roaming the streets. lol

1384172_1126018100763390_2362394540284659840_n.jpg

941084_1126018097430057_7233051350692780156_n.jpg

It's almost like it's being consumed by an 80's Transformer. I loathe it but I can't look away.

renault-twizy-06.jpg

smart-fortwo-ed.jpg

This is my idea of a minimal vehicle.
0-5.jpg

0-17.jpg

0-1.jpg

1991 Nissan Figaro. 1 Liter turbo, 1700 pound curb weight. If you are going to go small, why not go in serious style?

GSTJijD.jpg

Not in the US, but if there was a market for SMARTs why the hell would honda not sell this thing.

Yeah those are awesome. I would love for Honda to take a chance and bring that car over. It wouldn't be a volume seller but it would be a great niche vehicle.

Makki

$35k is my guess.

The sales numbers will speak for themselves, but I would never be able to mentally justify a mid 30k car with 160 hp and an even slower 0-60, just for a chance at a power retractable targa style top. I love Miatas and I had a 90 1.6L that I put on 300k miles, but I will never buy new since the price vs powertrain is abysmal in my opinion.

GSTJijD.jpg

Honda of America will NEVER let that thing come here. But that's mainly because Honda of America is a joke that sells appliances and not cars.

A buddy of mine is doing a complete tear down and restore of his Honda Beat, also managed to snag most of the mugen catalog parts NOS for the car as well. Should be a really fun car once it's finished.

GT4 has arrived. Dealer texted me some pics. Fuck.

hqkbkRT.jpg

hkol7Fo.jpg

nzoKMib.jpg

b3JVMBV.jpg

I'd do it. But only because I'm a purist heathen who prefers manual transmissions instead of the fancy automatics lol.

"Maybe 30 or 40 thousand dollars"

Well obviously not 40k, but I do wonder what the premium will be on this. Also wonder if they'll bother selling a stripped down cloth version or just have it in Gran Touring trim only.

The current PRHT on the NC Miata is about $2k extra compared to the NC soft top, so I imagine it'll be the same... hence you're looking at definitely a sub $35k car.

The thing that really sucks about the RF is the weight. I can't remember where I read it this morning, but some Mazda guy said the RF adds about 100-200 pounds over the cloth top ND. The reasoning, IIRC, is because the RF is more of a grand tourer instead of a proper sports car. That also means there really are no power upgrades to this thing and it's going to be a looooooooot slower than a cloth ND and both NC's.

Overall... yeah... at $35k with no engine upgrade, I'd rather buy a FoRS or a V8 Mustang... and I'm a Miata fanboy lol.

Evo X

Oh man.. You going for it??

Not sure. Will decide tomorrow.

It's not red, but I'd smang.

It looks much more exotic in red. Kind of regret not getting it, but I've wanted a white car forever and thought it would look good with all the carbon and red accents.

Awesome.

But don't do it man! Your next car should be a supercar.

Yeah, that's whats holding me back. I'd rather save up and go for a 458, LP-580, or 650S.

I'd do it. But only because I'm a purist heathen who prefers manual transmissions instead of the fancy automatics lol.

lol, i have a friend just like you. Hardcore 6MT fanatic. He's the one with the Ariel Atom.

What are the options? Mark up?

Every option except for Carbon Ceramic brakes and Sport Chrono which is useless on this car. Only adds the clock on the dash. Dynamic engine and transmission mounts that it added on the S & GTS are standard on GT4 no matter what.

No markup. I would be buying it for MSRP. Perks of having a deposit on it for 13 months.

No markup. I would be buying it for MSRP. Perks of having a deposit on it for 13 months.

Hmmm temping....but if you are thinking about saving up for those cars,..I say 458 all day everyday....

I was in the same shoe as you...but I couldn't justify spending 100k for a Cayman...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

It looks much more exotic in red. Kind of regret not getting it, but I've wanted a white car forever and thought it would look good with all the carbon and red accents.

Yeah, that's whats holding me back. I'd rather save up and go for a 458, LP-580, or 650S.

lol, i have a friend just like you. Hardcore 6MT fanatic. He's the one with the Ariel Atom.

Every option except for Carbon Ceramic brakes and Sport Chrono which is useless on this car. Only adds the clock on the dash. Dynamic engine and transmission mounts that it added on the S & GTS are standard on GT4 no matter what.

If you don't buy this car, you'd be a COLOSSAL fool. It will appreciate in value heavily. This is the LAST true naturally aspirated Porsche that is a dedicated track beast, with a proper manual gearbox. Seriously, you will regret this decision in 5 years time. Look at 993s today, they represented a very significant end to an era for Porsche, as will this GT4.

I don't know how much more I can stress this, but this is an investment and you're getting it for MSRP. It's a steal.

If you don't buy this car, you'd be a COLOSSAL fool. It will appreciate in value heavily. This is the LAST true naturally aspirated Porsche that is a dedicated track beast, with a proper manual gearbox. Seriously, you will regret this decision in 5 years time. Look at 993s today, they represented a very significant end to an era for Porsche, as will this GT4.

I don't know how much more I can stress this, but this is an investment and you're getting it for MSRP. It's a steal.

I agree, you should buy the car.

also, white > red

Honda of America will NEVER let that thing come here. But that's mainly because Honda of America is a joke that sells appliances and not cars.

A buddy of mine is doing a complete tear down and restore of his Honda Beat, also managed to snag most of the mugen catalog parts NOS for the car as well. Should be a really fun car once it's finished.

I'd say it's more because kei cars are just a completely different class of vehicle and would require a lot of engineering to make them appropriate for America. Would they even be street legal? There's gotta be some kind of safety standards missing or something.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

You could literally sell it tomorrow for a PROFIT and STILL be doing whoever you sell it to a big favor.

ameratsu

Has a Japanese manufacturer ever sold a kei-sized car in North America? Why should they start now?

Makki

Has a Japanese manufacturer ever sold a kei-sized car in North America? Why should they start now?

Sell them under some workaround as kit cars? Or maybe import them with a wheel missing and have the buyer put it on, TADAAA! A Polaris Slingshot workaround.

On a serious note, if a SMART makes it, a S660 which is longer should be able to make it pass crash regulations.

ameratsu

Sell them under some workaround as kit cars? Or maybe import them with a wheel missing and have the buyer put it on, TADAAA! A Polaris Slingshot workaround.

On a serious note, if a SMART makes it, a S660 which is longer should be able to make it pass crash regulations.

Even if they could pass crash regs, what's the incentive to do so? Honda's other low-powered two-seater (CR-Z) is barely selling all. So Honda is supposed to bring over a slower, smaller car to a market where cars are constantly getting bigger and more powerful.

This is without even getting into the fact that apart from those who have actually seen/sat in kei-cars, like the Honda Beat, nobody can really fathom just how small they are. The S660 is so small you would be lucky to store a single briefcase somewhere with the top stowed and with a passenger.

Some really small, really vocal part of internet car enthusiasts probably want something like a S1000 that would be slightly larger, but I think we all know the pitfalls of listening to those types about purchasing intent.

Makki

Even if they could pass crash regs, what's the incentive to do so? Honda's other low-powered two-seater (CR-Z) is barely selling all. So Honda is supposed to bring over a slower, smaller car to a market where cars are constantly getting bigger and more powerful.

This is without even getting into the fact that apart from those who have actually seen/sat in kei-cars, like the Honda Beat, nobody can really fathom just how small they are. The S660 is so small you would be lucky to store a single briefcase somewhere with the top stowed and with a passenger.

Some really small, really vocal part of internet car enthusiasts probably want something like a S1000 that would be slightly larger, but I think we all know the pitfalls of listening to those types about purchasing intent.
My point for the S660 was in response to the market that would consider the cars that were pictured by another poster, including the Smart car which doesnt offer much storage unless you count overhead space. Yes it would be a tough sale in the current low gas price market, and other than the personal car market it would only appeal to a niche.
The CRZ however is a whole different animal. Everyone expected a CRX successor so it never sold to enthusiasts (heavy and low power), it gets compact MPG so it never appealed to hybrid consumers, and it has a couple of bins for storage instead of a rear seat so it doesnt really work like a hatchback. That car was a complete failure and showed lack of vision from Honda.

was down in Long Island today and saw an Aventador and 650S or 675 for the first time...

and they were racing each other.

oh god that was an amazing sight.

I'd say it's more because kei cars are just a completely different class of vehicle and would require a lot of engineering to make them appropriate for America. Would they even be street legal? There's gotta be some kind of safety standards missing or something.

They can potentially market it to the city driver or short trip commuter similar to the smart cars/all electric vehicles. It wouldn't be a huge seller but imo it would at least add some dynamic to their pretty stale line up as of the past decade or so. They could also bring over the n-box and market them together as small city runners one with the potential to be a fun little sports car. Would it work? who knows. But constantly waiting around for the Honda of America from the late 80s early 90s spirit to come back into the line up is becoming a chore. I wish I could keep driving my 86s forever, but parts will become hard to find and all most Honda fans will get is a near 40k civic type-r or 30k si.

Honda has some fun little cars in it's japanese line up that the US market will never see, but i don't think that has as much to do with the overall potential sale but more to how the dealer network works in the US. Japan up until the mid 2000s had the 3- direct honda dealers to go to for a bunch of various models. Oh well. guess we'll just keep on waiting for all these cars to hit 25 years old before getting them stateside.

Top Bottom